BT Development Mentor Program Archives » konichiwa's mentor group - Are we having fun yet? - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-06-18 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2209158

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
Subject: RE: konichiwa's mentor group - Are we having fun yet? - FULL
konichiwa - 2009-06-10 10:29 PM

Charlie1 -

Here are some discount codes;

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2130193;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

TriSports.com  Code: BT-W

I think there are some other here on BT, but I couldn't quickly find a list.

Finally, get on performance.com's email list.  They have sale after sale after sale all year round.  If you are patient, you pretty much never have to pay full retail at Performance.

I'm about 50/50 online vs brick-n-mortar.  I tend to try and buy things in the store and then when I need to replace it (or I know specifically what I want) I shop it online.  We have a good bike shop here so it makes it easy to get educated on bigger ticket items.

No problem re: the engagement pics...I know that I am "marrying up" anyways

Tim,
I think www.performance.com is a generic web site that points you to othere web sites.  Can you send me the url for the performance website that you mentioned above?

Thanks,
--Charlie1

2009-06-18 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2226086

User image

Veteran

konichiwa - 2009-06-18 9:01 AM

URGuilty - 2009-06-17 10:54 PM Too bad I'm out of town!!   We have some really great rides here in Frederick.  If you're up for some hills, try a loop with Coxey Brown Road.  two miles of about 1100' elevation gain and grades at times over 20!  It's one of those few roads like that, and has bragging rights attached to it!!

It woulda been cool to meet up.  Next time.  We meet our friends a cpl times a year somewhere b/t Frederick, MD and Gettysburg, PA to do some riding. 

Will definitely look up Coxey Brown Rd.  Have you ever done Harp Hill Rd or the climbs in Catoctin Park?  Those are some of the regulars we do in your neck of the woods.

-Tim

Harp Hill is the HARDEST climb I have ever done, hands down!!!

2009-06-18 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2226949

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
2009-06-18 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2151526

User image

Pro
Houston
Joined the 'didn't unclip in time and fell over' club today - yay Keri!
2009-06-19 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2224522

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland
Subject: RE: Biking Limiters
Tim,

thanks so much for the info.  I'm going to take your advice and do the extra bike.  also, I really didn't vary my training nearly enough.  Excited about what that can do for my bike split.

Charlie2
2009-06-19 3:51 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
I drove an hour across town to swim in a 50 meter pool only to get there and find out it isn't 50 meters!  Yell  It was a 25 yard pool just like the one I swim in 3 times a week!

I even called and talked to a gal first who obviously had no idea what she was talking about.

The only good news here is now I know where my event actually is though I wasn't able to swim in the pool because it's a public pool and I had all the girls with me.  Doesn't look like I'll get an 50 meter experience before the race.  At least I have an OWS planned for Sunday.

2009-06-19 4:07 PM
in reply to: #2229848

User image

Veteran

KeriKadi - 2009-06-19 4:51 PM I drove an hour across town to swim in a 50 meter pool only to get there and find out it isn't 50 meters!  Yell  It was a 25 yard pool just like the one I swim in 3 times a week!

I even called and talked to a gal first who obviously had no idea what she was talking about.

The only good news here is now I know where my event actually is though I wasn't able to swim in the pool because it's a public pool and I had all the girls with me.  Doesn't look like I'll get an 50 meter experience before the race.  At least I have an OWS planned for Sunday.

Getting in the OWS will help acclimte you to swimming a further distance without touching the wall. It may not be ideal for you, but its a variation from the 25-yard pool and it'll be beneficial. Have a good weekend!

2009-06-19 9:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
This stinking bike is going to kill me.  I bought a tire pressure gauge only to realize it doesn't work on the stinking "presta" valves.  I also bought another mini pump with both a shrader and presta nozzle.  I spend 20 minutes using the mini pump to inflate the tire, checking periodically with my new digital presta pressure gauge (only about the 5th time this week ive gone to purchase something for the bike).  The tire seems fairly firm but only reads 35 psi or 2.75 bars.  The side of the tire says max psi is 120 psi or 8.5 bars!

I also googled the tire and confirmed this is the correct max psi.  Is it humanly possible to inflate this stinking tire with a mini hand pump?  Have over-used the word stinking?  Sheesh, to hell with getting my quads in shape from cycling, i'll soon look like popeye from using the pump!

I have an open water clinic down at the Jersey shore tomorrow morning.  This will be the first time I use my wetsuit.  The water is a chilly 70 degrees (brrrrr) ... can't wait.  It is supposed to rain tomorrow so I am hoping they don't cancel the swim.

If I don't run tonight this will be the third consecutive day of being a sloth.  I am feeling mighty guilty, I need someone to kick my butt!

--Charlie1
2009-06-19 11:26 PM

I wa supposed to run for 75 minutes today.  The heat and humidity kicked my butt.  I ran for 3 miles and walked the rest.  I will have to get out earlier tomorrow to beat the heat. 

Does anyone have any experience with Triathlon bags.  I am using my school bookbag and it sucks.
2009-06-20 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2230261

User image

Pro
Houston
fontaic - 2009-06-19 9:05 PM This stinking bike is going to kill me. 

Dude - I totally hear you on the bike thing - they are SUCH a PITA!!!  And I am guilty of not putting air in my tires because I always screw it up and end up with a flat.

fontaic - 2009-06-19 9:05 PMf I don't run tonight this will be the third consecutive day of being a sloth.  I am feeling mighty guilty, I need someone to kick my butt!

Get off your sloth butt and go running!  If I don't see some action in your log I'm going to kick your !

How's that?

2009-06-20 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2230366

User image

Pro
Houston
mrtimbro - 2009-06-19 11:26 PM I wa supposed to run for 75 minutes today.  The heat and humidity kicked my butt.  I ran for 3 miles and walked the rest.  I will have to get out earlier tomorrow to beat the heat. 

Does anyone have any experience with Triathlon bags.  I am using my school bookbag and it sucks.

I hear you on the heat and humidity living her in Hades, I mean, Houston.  I ran outside this week and I was wiped out for the rest of the day.  I made it about 4.75 of my 5 miles but stopped to borrow water from peoples sprinklers - LOL.  I am also going to have to get out earlier, like 7-7:30.  I don't have any experience with Tri bags, not sure if they are any different from another bag.  Maybe check your local Target to see if they have something that will work.

2009-06-20 5:07 PM
in reply to: #2230799

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
KeriKadi - 2009-06-20 2:50 PM [

fontaic - 2009-06-19 9:05 PMf I don't run tonight this will be the third consecutive day of being a sloth.  I am feeling mighty guilty, I need someone to kick my butt!

Get off your sloth butt and go running!  If I don't see some action in your log I'm going to kick your !

How's that?

Thanks, I NEEDED THAT!

I ran outside again last night, not very far but at least I made some kind of effort.  I attended that open water swim this morning and boy am I glad I did.  It was so incredibly different than swimming in a pool.  The water was murky, my goggles fogged up (mental note, get defogging spray), I found it extremely difficult to swim in a straight line.  I had to stop often to sight the bouy and remove my goggles because of the foggy lens.  Received a hard smack in the back of the head by someone (I am assuming it was accidental) and experienced getting swum (is there such a word?) into and vice versa.

I also found myself just a wee bit dizzy, I'm thinking it's because the tightness of the wetsuit didn't allow me to breathe as deeply as I normally do?  I also had to force myself to slow down and try to maintain some kind of proper technique.  The inability to see well really thru me for a loop.  I found myself much more winded outside than when I am swimming indoors.  At the very end the instructor asked if anyone felt they could swim the half mile course.  I raised my hand along with 4 others (out of probably 40 or so) and we proceeded to swim the course. 

All in all, a great learning experience!  I can't imagine having had to go thru that at my first triathlon.  I am definately going to get out in the ocean/bay a couple of more times before my first race.

Of course I went to Dicks sporting goods AGAIN today and bought a floor pump so I could inflate my tires to 120 psi.  Question:  I ordered cycling shoes with cleats but they wont arrive for a while.  My  bike came with these plastic pedals (with reflectors on the side) that fit over the metal clipless pedals.  The plastic pedals dont seem to fit tightly over the metal and one fell off a couple of times when I was assembling the bike.  Is there a way to fasten them more securely?  The only way I see that they fasten is to snap them into one the metal clip (doesn't really fit tightly) pedals.

Are these plastic pedals even necessary?  Do you keep them on when you have cycling shoes?  Do I need them if I am wearing sneakers or can I simply rest my sneakers on the smaller metal clipless pedals?

Also, should the aerobars be very close to the center steering post?

-- charlie1

2009-06-21 8:36 PM

The last two times I went riding I have been getting pain in my knee.  I have been riding the bike for 4 months now.  I am sure that it is not a proper bike fit but why now?  I have a race in two weeks and don't know what to do.  I don't usually have any problems with it on the run. 

Thanks

Tim
2009-06-22 8:30 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Happy belated Father's Day to all the Dad's in the group!

Charlie1 - The OW is very different isn't it?  I am fortunate to have a place where I swim when I can.  A group of tri'ers including several BTers meet at a lake about 45 minutes away.   I still have a hard time going any distance though, my brain gets in the way.  Yesterday I wanted to swim 500m but after getting kind of panicky on the 200 I changed my mind.  I should have gone for it.  We have several great swimmers and one of the guys said next time he would swim with me next time so I felt more comfortable.

I had one of the other guys watch me and I am not pivoting my body enough in the water so when I take my breath I am turning my neck too hard which is causing the strain.  My left shoulder/neck are KILLING me today.  I think today is going to be a day off for me.

Not sure what to tell you about the pedals other than the fact that I get teased for having reflectors on my wheels so my guess would be they are a no-go.  My bike just came with SPD pedals.  Every time somebody sees them they ask me what brand they are and they are difficult to clip into so I"m thinking they are bottom of the line since they came with my bike.

My next race is less than a week away now - June 28, I am sure as the week progresses I'll get much more giddy/nervous/anxious etc.  This is a sprint but my first was a super sprint so this is longer for sure.
2009-06-22 1:35 PM
in reply to: #2230366

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

mrtimbro - 2009-06-20 12:26 AM

Laura and I both use and like the TYR transition bag.  Hold two water bottles...tons of compartments..(for shoes, dirty clothes/towels, smaller ones for flasks, watch, etc) and they seem to hold up well as we've used them for over 2yrs now and the only issue I've had is the elastic buggy cord has gotten stretched out.

http://www.amazon.com/TYR-Transition-bag/dp/B000C15OB2

If you google "transition bag" you can find others.

http://www.trivillage.com/louis-garneau-race-day-transition-bag.html

http://www.treefortbikes.com/396_333222342023__Quick-Change-Transition-Bag.html

http://triathlonlab.com/product/rocket-science-sports-transition-duffle-bag.html

2009-06-22 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2230969

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

fontaic - 2009-06-20 6:07 PM
KeriKadi - 2009-06-20 2:50 PM

Of course I went to Dicks sporting goods AGAIN today and bought a floor pump so I could inflate my tires to 120 psi.  Question:  I ordered cycling shoes with cleats but they wont arrive for a while.  My  bike came with these plastic pedals (with reflectors on the side) that fit over the metal clipless pedals.  The plastic pedals dont seem to fit tightly over the metal and one fell off a couple of times when I was assembling the bike.  Is there a way to fasten them more securely?  The only way I see that they fasten is to snap them into one the metal clip (doesn't really fit tightly) pedals.

Are these plastic pedals even necessary?  Do you keep them on when you have cycling shoes?  Do I need them if I am wearing sneakers or can I simply rest my sneakers on the smaller metal clipless pedals?

Also, should the aerobars be very close to the center steering post?

-- charlie1

Charlie -

I am not too familiar with the pedals you speak of but I can say that I have never ridden my bike without clipless pedals once I had them installed.  If you think you (or your son) may want to ride the bike in sneakers or street shoes, then you may want to go with SPDs.  They make a pedal that you can clip-in on one side and have platforms on the other.

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442592965&emssrcid=GoogleBase

Regarding the aerobars, I would say a general rule is to put them as close together as you can without causing any ongoing shoulder/neck/upper back pain.  Generally the bars will clip on close to the stem (mine are within 1cm of the tem on each side) but the pads will extend wider.  It's not so much the position of where they attach to the bar, as much as it is the position of those forearm pads.  Ultimately, you want a position you can hold for 95+% of a race.

-Tim

2009-06-22 2:45 PM

User image

Veteran

Charile1 --

Read your post about the OWS and your goggles fogging up. I know this sounds a bit nasty, but if you don't have defogging spray, just spit in your goggles and rub it in. Then rinse out in the water. That does help with the fogging up. 

2009-06-22 5:57 PM
in reply to: #2234736

User image

Pro
Houston
gymnutt03 - 2009-06-22 2:45 PM

Charile1 --

Read your post about the OWS and your goggles fogging up. I know this sounds a bit nasty, but if you don't have defogging spray, just spit in your goggles and rub it in. Then rinse out in the water. That does help with the fogging up. 

I agree.  I mean, if it's good enough for Michael Phelps it's good enough for me.  I have learned the trick though is to rub the spit in for about a minute.  At first I wasn't rubbing it in long enough.
2009-06-22 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2235351

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
Thanks ladies.  Glad I just ate dinner ...

Dare I ask what you two recommend for jock itch?

:-)

You really don't have to answer that!
2009-06-22 11:21 PM
in reply to: #2235827

User image

Pro
Houston

fontaic - 2009-06-22 9:43 PM Thanks ladies.  Glad I just ate dinner ...

Dare I ask what you two recommend for jock itch?

Uhhh you're on your own there dude.

Really, it's not that gross especially when everyone else is doing it.Smile  You just need to make sure you don't have that spit string from your goggles to your mouth.

2009-06-23 7:01 AM
in reply to: #2235961

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
Ha, ha ... I just spit coffee all over my keyboard!  Mental note: never read Keri's posts with a mouthful of coffee ...

I suppose my keyboard won't fog up now.

--Charlie1

2009-06-23 7:43 AM
in reply to: #2236159

User image

Pro
Houston
fontaic - 2009-06-23 7:01 AM Ha, ha ... I just spit coffee all over my keyboard!  Mental note: never read Keri's posts with a mouthful of coffee ...

I suppose my keyboard won't fog up now.

--Charlie1

I can't be held responsbile for keyboard damage.Innocent
2009-06-23 1:25 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Who is racing THIS weekend????

ETA:  Shamelessly bumping our thread.

Edited by KeriKadi 2009-06-23 1:26 PM
2009-06-23 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2230261

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

fontaic - 2009-06-19 10:05 PM This stinking bike is going to kill me.  I bought a tire pressure gauge only to realize it doesn't work on the stinking "presta" valves.  I also bought another mini pump with both a shrader and presta nozzle.  I spend 20 minutes using the mini pump to inflate the tire, checking periodically with my new digital presta pressure gauge (only about the 5th time this week ive gone to purchase something for the bike).  The tire seems fairly firm but only reads 35 psi or 2.75 bars.  The side of the tire says max psi is 120 psi or 8.5 bars!

I also googled the tire and confirmed this is the correct max psi.  Is it humanly possible to inflate this stinking tire with a mini hand pump?  Have over-used the word stinking?  Sheesh, to hell with getting my quads in shape from cycling, i'll soon look like popeye from using the pump!

--Charlie1

Ya you definitely want to buy a full size pump to keep at home.  I check/re-pump my tires before EVERY ride.  As far as "side-of-the-road" repairs, I use CO2 instead of a hand pump.  It'll cost a few more dollars to keep on repurchasing the cartridges, but if you pump the tires before each ride you help to minimize the chance of a flat in the first place.  And there is no issues getting the tires to your desired PSI. 

Knock on wood...I've only had 1 flat in over 2000mi of riding this year.  Prob shouldn't have typed that with a race coming up this wknd.

2009-06-23 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2237500

User image

Veteran

KeriKadi - 2009-06-23 2:25 PM Who is racing THIS weekend????

ETA:  Shamelessly bumping our thread.

Tim and I will be racing the Philly tri this weekend (Olympic distance). Admittingly, Olympic is not my favorite distance, but I am hoping for a PR. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » konichiwa's mentor group - Are we having fun yet? - FULL Rss Feed  

of 19