BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-01-17 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Full...
What does everyone this of adding mileage to rides done on the trainer? 

I've been adding them since I have an old cateye hooked up to the rear wheel, but I realized that as you up the intensity and lower the RPM, in one of Jorge's workouts, for instance, the speed decreases even though the work increases.

I'm just wondering if MPH makes any sense to everyone on trainer rides at all.

2010-01-17 9:18 PM
in reply to: #2618927

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
wbayek - 2010-01-17 7:14 PM What does everyone this of adding mileage to rides done on the trainer? 

I've been adding them since I have an old cateye hooked up to the rear wheel, but I realized that as you up the intensity and lower the RPM, in one of Jorge's workouts, for instance, the speed decreases even though the work increases.

I wondered this as well, as I just hooked up the cadense sensor to the bike this week for my trainer rides. I was curious what the distance was coming out to, but didn't know if I should add the mileage to the workouts??? Is there a way to separate on the logs? I guess it's not true miles but they are miles....?
2010-01-18 4:27 PM

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-01-17 9:14 PM What does everyone this of adding mileage to rides done on the trainer? 

MPH and mileage only correlate to other trainer rides. Not sure why your speed would decrease. My trainer speed (mph) increases as my work goes up. Power, HR, and Cadence are the most important things to track.

2010-01-18 6:05 PM
in reply to: #2620280

User image

NH
aarondavidson - 2010-01-18 5:27 PM

wbayek - 2010-01-17 9:14 PM What does everyone this of adding mileage to rides done on the trainer? 

MPH and mileage only correlate to other trainer rides. Not sure why your speed would decrease. My trainer speed (mph) increases as my work goes up. Power, HR, and Cadence are the most important things to track.

I don't have power, but I keep HR and cadence so I'll add those to my logs.  My cadence has been much higher since these workouts began.

Maybe that last workout was just an anomaly. 
2010-01-18 8:14 PM

User image

Elite

On a side note I think this group has been great so far.

2010-01-18 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2620477

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-01-18 7:05 PM
aarondavidson - 2010-01-18 5:27 PM

I don't have power, but I keep HR and cadence so I'll add those to my logs.  My cadence has been much higher since these workouts began.

Maybe that last workout was just an anomaly. 

The only thing I can think of is you are taking more breaks. So lets say a regular ride is 18mph for 1hr. Now you are doing intervals at 21mph but then doing rest intervals at 16mph. That could explain your lower average. Either way I would not sweat it.

2010-01-19 7:39 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
In the interest of full disclosure, I signed up for a half marathon May 9 (the Pacer's Running Festival in Arlington, VA)...My sister lives in Maryland, so I'm combining the race with a visit to her and her family. I am half excited and half overwhelmed. I think it will be okay - I had to put my estimated finish time down on the race application, so my goal is to finish before my estimated finish time (2:30).

Thanks for the encouragement. Now to get those miles in!

2010-01-19 8:36 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
I'm baaaaaack!  With jury duty behind me, I'm ready to get back into some serious training!  I got up this morning and did 40 min on the trainer.  Went pretty hard, but I'm still getting over a cold, so the chest was a little tight.  I hope everyone is doing well! 
2010-01-19 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2620704

User image

NH
aarondavidson - 2010-01-18 9:16 PM

The only thing I can think of is you are taking more breaks. So lets say a regular ride is 18mph for 1hr. Now you are doing intervals at 21mph but then doing rest intervals at 16mph. That could explain your lower average. Either way I would not sweat it.

That's probably it.  The Cateye just keeps average and I guess I don't think it's worth it to move my Polar to the rear wheel to have history, so I'll just keep tracking it and base my workouts on the HR and effort.

But I really could use a good excuse to spend the $$$ for a power measurement tool!  The finance committee isn't budging yet.

2010-01-19 10:36 AM

User image

NH
Welcome back Bill.  Time to hit it again.

You'll do great Jennifer.  2:30, or whatever time you hit, will be a win.  Keep everything in perspective.  We can lose that because we're in here all the time, relating to other athletes who train at such a high level.  Very few people in the world can even THINK about running 13.1, and you're toeing the starting line and doing it.

And I agree with Aaron that this group has been great, as has Aaron's advice.

On another side note in the interest of full disclosure - I have a job where I'm on the PC all day and have snippets of idle time while I'm waiting for things to complete, or in meetings/calls where I'm not really needed but I'm there in case there is a specific technical issue I can address.  The offshoot is that I tend to be on here a lot, and can get carried away and post too much.  I'm also Italian and thick skinned, so if I get on anyone's nerves with too many posts or advice feel free to shut me up, either here or via a PM.  My sisters have certainly said worse to me, so no worries!

Thanks again to everyone here, this group has really helped keep me motivated.  I still can't believe I'm running through a NE winter and actually enjoying it!

2010-01-19 4:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Agreed on all fronts...great group, great inspiration and information.

Jen, you will do great! ...at worst it's a long training run with support staff and cheering... it's a fun reward day!

What are the groups thoughts about opening up for a few more since we've lost a few? I'm very happy with the current crew but I'm also mindful of when I started last year and felt bad that I couldn't get into a mentor group.

I'm in a similar boat as Warren in front of computer all day but I'm sensitive so yell at Warren to back off and I'll get the hint. ;-)

2010-01-19 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2622664

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
I get bummed when I get home and see our thread is on PAGE 2 with no new posts - so post away! fun to read up in the evening!

you guys rock! it's great seeing what everyone is doing and reading up on various questions and such. Glad I did this!
2010-01-20 6:02 AM
in reply to: #2621141

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-01-19 8:39 AM In the interest of full disclosure, I signed up for a half marathon May 9 (the Pacer's Running Festival in Arlington, VA)...My sister lives in Maryland, so I'm combining the race with a visit to her and her family. I am half excited and half overwhelmed. I think it will be okay - I had to put my estimated finish time down on the race application, so my goal is to finish before my estimated finish time (2:30).

Thanks for the encouragement. Now to get those miles in!

Sounds like fun and a good excuse to visit. 2:30? Almost sounds to conservative. I am sure you will do great.

2010-01-20 6:10 AM
in reply to: #2622664

User image

Elite

bfoyle - 2010-01-19 5:28 PM Agreed on all fronts...great group, great inspiration and information.

Jen, you will do great! ...at worst it's a long training run with support staff and cheering... it's a fun reward day!

What are the groups thoughts about opening up for a few more since we've lost a few? I'm very happy with the current crew but I'm also mindful of when I started last year and felt bad that I couldn't get into a mentor group.

I'm in a similar boat as Warren in front of computer all day but I'm sensitive so yell at Warren to back off and I'll get the hint. ;-)

I am mainly in front of a computer when I am not running around in meetings. However I am banned from BT it is flagged as social networking.

2010-01-20 6:10 AM
in reply to: #2621268

User image

Elite

billsorg - 2010-01-19 9:36 AM I'm baaaaaack!  With jury duty behind me, I'm ready to get back into some serious training!  I got up this morning and did 40 min on the trainer.  Went pretty hard, but I'm still getting over a cold, so the chest was a little tight.  I hope everyone is doing well! 

Awesome. Welcome back.

2010-01-20 7:29 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
I am also in front of a computer all day long...but I work from home. The work computer (on the work-only network) is right next to the home computer (with free and open access). Whenever I get frustrated with work, I pop over here to check things out - which means I am pretty active as well.

Please don't censure yourselves in terms of volume - I am always happy to see traffic on this thread (and my training log ;-) )...I agree with a previous poster (was it Warren or Bob? I can't remember) - could we open it up to another couple of people?

We have a snow day today (we must have 12 inches of new snow in the last 24 hours) - so minimal chances to work out for me today. I'm thinking of taking it as a rest day with a little stretching and foam roller and some snow shoveling. I've got two more weeks of Jorge's Winter Cycling plan to go and then I'm thinking of starting over from the beginning (after a brief rest period) since it's not going to be safe to ride outside for another few months. Now I just need to find something good to watch while torturing myself. Any suggestions?

2010-01-20 8:57 AM

User image

NH
Don't downplay snow shoveling.  My snow blower belt broke yesterday and I spent 2 hours shoveling slushy, heavy snow.   Great core workout, I think I'm going to have to add it to the log!

When I'm doing an interval trainer ride, I usually can't watch anything, I just crank up some tunes and suffer.

And by the way Jennifer, I just saw that "post a picture of your torture chamber" thread!  What a great idea.  I'm taking some pics tonight.
2010-01-20 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Hello all.  For those of you that questioned if you were posting too much, the answer is NO.  I find the information discussed here very helpful and also enjoy hearing other people that are suffering through this winter (misery loves company).  Aaron, I'm surprised my company hasn't blocked this site from our PC's... I work for a bank and they are very conservative about what websites they allow.  I'm a bit of a hot & cold poster.  If I have the time, and I'm happy with my training, I'll post away.  If I'm behind on my training or get real busy at work, you might not hear from me.  Keep posting!

2010-01-20 2:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Post away.  I love reading everything.  I am a man of few words (written and spoken), so someone's gotta take up my slack. Wink I would also be open to opening the group up to a few more.

I found this article last week, and I really like item #1.  http://trifuel.com/training/triathlon-training/the-top-11-triathlon-training-mistakes-that-triathletes-make 
2010-01-20 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2609773

User image

Expert
WA
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-01-11 10:10 PM
Poked around a bit for another couple of events earlier in the season...now I'm thinking I might do a half marathon in May (tied to a trip to DC to visit my sister)...do I have enough time to be ready for it? The longest I have ever run is about 7 miles. Would training for a half hurt my normal Olympic training (for later in the summer)?

yes - I loved getting the USAT sticker/shwag...now to decide which car to put it on - the minivan just to tweak people or the crappy car that won't pass inspection next year.

Good luck on the half you will do great!  The half sounds like a lot but just concentrate on finishing it.  That was my goal for my first and since I had no expectation it was a great run.  I ran it pretty fast too!

Put that sticker on the minivan! ...to show you are one bad a** Mom!!  Wink
2010-01-20 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2617476

User image

Expert
WA
wbayek - 2010-01-16 12:43 AM

With the amazing NE weather today, I debated an outdoor ride, but opted for my planned long run.  Wow is all I can say!  I think I hit the runner's high today. 

After a nice extended warm-up with my wife, I went the next 8 miles at an 8:30 pace, which is significantly faster than I've ever gone on my long run!  I'm not sure what happened, since I wasn't planning to push too hard and didn't even feel like I was doing anything out of the ordinary.

Awesome job!!  Those runner's highs can carry you quicker and further! Wait til you feel that adrenaline rush at your next race...you will be flying! Smile

2010-01-20 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
WA
wbayek - 2010-01-17 6:14 AM What does everyone this of adding mileage to rides done on the trainer? 

Yah, I have been doing Spinervals and my MPH drops because it has 5 min warmup and 5 cool down.  It also has quick spins which are on the lower gears....which brings my mph down to about 14mph.  I can almost get off my bike and push it that fast! LOL
2010-01-20 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2621650

User image

Expert
WA
wbayek - 2010-01-18 8:36 PM

On another side note in the interest of full disclosure - I have a job where I'm on the PC all day and have snippets of idle time while I'm waiting for things to complete, or in meetings/calls where I'm not really needed but I'm there in case there is a specific technical issue I can address.  The offshoot is that I tend to be on here a lot, and can get carried away and post too much.  I'm also Italian and thick skinned, so if I get on anyone's nerves with too many posts or advice feel free to shut me up, either here or via a PM.  My sisters have certainly said worse to me, so no worries!

Thanks again to everyone here, this group has really helped keep me motivated.  I still can't believe I'm running through a NE winter and actually enjoying it!

You're good bro!  BTW, great looking family you have there!
2010-01-20 3:15 PM
in reply to: #2623735

User image

Expert
WA
wbayek - 2010-01-19 6:57 PM
And by the way Jennifer, I just saw that "post a picture of your torture chamber" thread!  What a great idea.  I'm taking some pics tonight.

Thanks for mentioning that, it was great to see those chambers.  I was quite impressed with a few of them
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=193324&start=1
2010-01-20 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2624800

User image

NH
RunRene - 2010-01-20 4:12 PM

You're good bro!  BTW, great looking family you have there!

Thanks, my youngest didn't make the hike.  That's Mount Major we're on overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee (home of the Timberman) for those who know the area.  I put a picture of the baby (well, he's 7 now) in my profile.  Terrible picture of him since he's not even smiling, but it's all I have on this PC and I'm a geek so I wanted to try the picture links.

Edited by wbayek 2010-01-20 3:41 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76