BT Development Mentor Program Archives » nevergivin's group (Closed) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-01-06 10:11 PM
in reply to: #2597774

User image

kelowna
Subject: RE: nevergivin's group (Closed)
bigr82 - 2010-01-06 9:01 AM

WHAT TO EAT BEFORE WORKOUTS?

I work out at 5:00am most morning. I don't eat before but I always have a protein shake after.  I noticed right away on days that I didn't my muscle recovery was nill, but days I had a shake I was good to go 30 minutes after the work out.

Muscles feeling well used but not sore to where they bother me.

2010-01-06 10:22 PM
in reply to: #2597003

User image

kelowna
nevergivin - 2010-01-06 5:19 AM Great job everyone keeping thier training going through the holidays! Im impressed!

Some of us have joined the peach challenge, if you did not get in and would like to, it should not be a problem, most challenges are always open and typically start at the first of each month. I enjoy them for the extra motivation.

Has everyone planned which races they are going to do for 2010?

my original plan was Sooke International August 8, 2010 (was Sept 12, 2010), I picked that because it was later in the season and because it wasn't at home, so no one I know would be there This is my personal victory and I want to savour it.

But I am re-thinking traveling that far for my first and just might hit a local one within an hour drive and earlier in the season.  There are tons in the area.  I could still get Sooke or Banff (sept) if I want just have to get 2 in this year

Look at me already planning my second sprint, when I can't even run 5k yet :D
2010-01-06 10:42 PM
in reply to: #2599468

User image

Master
St. Louis
ThePassionDiva - 2010-01-06 10:22 PM

my original plan was Sooke International August 8, 2010 (was Sept 12, 2010),

Wow, I went to the Sooke race site.  It's beautiful, like racing through a post card.  Just a tad nicer than Southern Illinois.

You will be to 5k in no time.
2010-01-07 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2597003

User image

I registered for the Luray Sprint Tri for Aug 15th.
Now all I need to do is to start swimming and buy a bike.
2010-01-07 7:58 AM
in reply to: #2599489

User image

Modesto, California
ransick - 2010-01-06 8:42 PM
ThePassionDiva - 2010-01-06 10:22 PM

my original plan was Sooke International August 8, 2010 (was Sept 12, 2010),

Wow, I went to the Sooke race site.  It's beautiful, like racing through a post card.  Just a tad nicer than Southern Illinois.

You will be to 5k in no time.

That would be a good plan also, to do a sprint before your olympic race will give you confidence, experience, and will highlight any weaknesses to smooth out before your olympic race. I like the Sooke course, going into that race confident and in good fitness could make for an awesome day!
2010-01-07 8:04 AM
in reply to: #2599738

User image

Modesto, California
metiii - 2010-01-07 5:49 AM Has everyone planned which races they are going to do for 2010?
I registered for the Luray Sprint Tri for Aug 15th.
Now all I need to do is to start swimming and buy a bike.

Looking at some of the past race reports it seems very scenic, sounds like a fun race!

Do you want us to give you any bike ideas or help with swimming Gene?

2010-01-07 8:06 AM
in reply to: #2556071

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario

I REALLY want to make the St. Joseph Island Triathlon on August 14, but if things go really well, I'd like to do the Belwood Sprint Triathlon on June 20.

Haven't registered for either of them yet though.  Embarassed
2010-01-07 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2599774

User image

Well, I was thinking of getting a Trek hybrid bike cause of comfort, weight issues, expense and cause I'm only planning on doing one sprint tri this year. The LBS is an authorized dealer.

On the swimming, it has been years since I was in a pool. I planned on just going a few times and playing around and getting acclimated.  The town aquatic center offers private swimming lessons for grownups (5 thirty minute sessions) so I planned on doing that to relearn swimming freestyle.The aquatic center also has begining master classes, but I wanted to build up to that before I did that. I know that swimming will be my weakest sport, just need to DO IT, as they say.
I did look at the youtube videos of the swimming drills, so I plan on using those.
Once I get my "pool legs", I was planning on:
  • going 3 times a week,
  • warming up, do two drills (for maybe 50m each)
  • then do my workout and increase distance each week.
  •  Closer to the race I planned on adding the master classes (twice a week for an hour each night).
Does that sound correct/effeceint/crazy?

And another question:
I was looking at some sprint training programs, and they have two workouts in one day: Should I do those workouts back to back, or one in the morning and one at night? Or can I do them seperatly in the begining but later, do them back to back?

2010-01-07 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2600229

User image

Modesto, California
metiii - 2010-01-07 8:34 AM Well, I was thinking of getting a Trek hybrid bike cause of comfort, weight issues, expense and cause I'm only planning on doing one sprint tri this year. The LBS is an authorized dealer.

On the swimming, it has been years since I was in a pool. I planned on just going a few times and playing around and getting acclimated.  The town aquatic center offers private swimming lessons for grownups (5 thirty minute sessions) so I planned on doing that to relearn swimming freestyle.The aquatic center also has begining master classes, but I wanted to build up to that before I did that. I know that swimming will be my weakest sport, just need to DO IT, as they say.
I did look at the youtube videos of the swimming drills, so I plan on using those.
Once I get my "pool legs", I was planning on:
  • going 3 times a week,
  • warming up, do two drills (for maybe 50m each)
  • then do my workout and increase distance each week.
  •  Closer to the race I planned on adding the master classes (twice a week for an hour each night).
Does that sound correct/effeceint/crazy?

And another question:
I was looking at some sprint training programs, and they have two workouts in one day: Should I do those workouts back to back, or one in the morning and one at night? Or can I do them seperatly in the begining but later, do them back to back?

It sounds like you have some great programs at your pool, I would for sure take advantage of that, and It appears like you have a well thought out plan. My general rule for swimming is at least three days in the pool to make improvements, two days a week to stay fit. Whenever weight is a concern, swimming and biking will help build your endurance the most with the least likeleyhood of getting injured. A hybrid bike may perhaps be the most comfortable, test ride different models to decide, the more comfortable you are the more likely you are to get out and ride, riding more is what you want. My first race was on a mountain bike I borrowed, the tire knobies were so big it was scaring people on the course.
Choosing a program will give you some structure and goals, you still have the ability to modify them to suit your needs, just try easing into the program, even if its doing two seperate workouts to see how your body adapts and go from there, save back to back if your crunched for time or feel confident you can perform that. Great plan!
2010-01-07 1:01 PM

Veteran
I'm doing the 3X Sprint program, and I usually do back to back workouts. IT does usually take me a mile or two on the bike to get the legs going after a good swim.  For me atleast, the program doesnt kill you on back to back's, but if i try to bike before swim, i'm alot more tanked.
2010-01-07 3:26 PM

User image

Races for 2010:

I am planing on the Green Bay Triathlon (Olympic)
High Cliff Half Iron Man.
With some Duathlons thrown in.
Maybe the Indoor Triathlon in Feb for fun at my Local Y

2010-01-07 3:29 PM

User image

was also thinking of doing the Chicago Triathlon because its the biggest in the country but its 155 for the sprint or the International!!!
2010-01-07 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2601159

User image

Modesto, California
Milkthecowbaby - 2010-01-07 1:29 PM was also thinking of doing the Chicago Triathlon because its the biggest in the country but its 155 for the sprint or the International!!!

Thats on my bucket list, that and Naperville Sprint, maybe IMOO!
I like to do Wildflower locally, it hosts 8000 athletes, Chicago claims 8500. Both are must do races!
2010-01-08 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2601706

User image

Expert
nevergivin - 2010-01-07 5:55 PM  Thats on my bucket list, that and Naperville Sprint, maybe IMOO!
I like to do Wildflower locally, it hosts 8000 athletes, Chicago claims 8500. Both are must do races!

I'd like to do Wildflower.  Maybe next year.  It was actually my first exposure to Triathlons, I camped out there and supported some friends who were doing it when I was in college in the early 90's.  I don't remember the whole thing that clearly, I think I drank a little bit that weekend...  I do remember I was handing out water at the top of a nasty hill on the run, those racers looked absolutely hammered, and I thought to myself, no way in hell am I ever doing one of these things...  Ha!
2010-01-08 1:47 PM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Sorry guys, but I have to take a moment to unload and this really is the only place I have to do it...so here goes....

For those of you who have been following my workouts (this is my first week), know that I set the goal of 1.55 km to run.  Why 1.55?  Because that's all I could do in 15 minutes of walk/jog/walk/jog.  (was I MAD thinking I could do a Triathlon?!?)

So, today I get on the treadmill, feeling pretty good, fire up the ipod and start off, just to see how far I could go.

I DID THE WHOLE 1.55km NON-STOP!!!!!!   In 12:47   AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!  I'm so happy I'm almost in tears!  In 44 years, I have NEVER jogged 1 km, EVER!

Now, I know that this is absolutely child's play for most of you, but for me, this is nearly a religious experience.  It means that I really can do this thing!  Thank you SOOO much for the Inspires this week!  You guys have NO idea!

Now granted, it was on 0 incline, and on a treadmill, but hey, it's a REAL start for me!

I'm ecstatic!

There.....  Thanks for the space to vent.  Now back to your regular programming....

Dave
2010-01-08 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2603478

User image

Expert
Panther - 2010-01-08 11:47 AM Sorry guys, but I have to take a moment to unload and this really is the only place I have to do it...so here goes....

For those of you who have been following my workouts (this is my first week), know that I set the goal of 1.55 km to run.  Why 1.55?  Because that's all I could do in 15 minutes of walk/jog/walk/jog.  (was I MAD thinking I could do a Triathlon?!?)

So, today I get on the treadmill, feeling pretty good, fire up the ipod and start off, just to see how far I could go.

I DID THE WHOLE 1.55km NON-STOP!!!!!!   In 12:47   AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!  I'm so happy I'm almost in tears!  In 44 years, I have NEVER jogged 1 km, EVER!

Now, I know that this is absolutely child's play for most of you, but for me, this is nearly a religious experience.  It means that I really can do this thing!  Thank you SOOO much for the Inspires this week!  You guys have NO idea!

Now granted, it was on 0 incline, and on a treadmill, but hey, it's a REAL start for me!

I'm ecstatic!

There.....  Thanks for the space to vent.  Now back to your regular programming....

Dave

fixed it a bit for you. Sealed  Congratulations on the run, and the awesome first week!  I like seeing the confidence you are gaining, very cool!

2010-01-08 3:07 PM

User image

kelowna

for me, this is nearly a religious experience.  It means that I really can do this thing!  Thank you SOOO much for the Inspires this week!  You guys have NO idea!

I'm ecstatic!

Dave

ROCK ON!!!

I am lookng forward to posting something simliar in a couple weeks!  I am right behind you!  Great job!!!!
2010-01-08 3:33 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Dave, sounds like your having fun now, join the club! Its motivating to hear everyone share milestones, keep them comming, its only begining! Dave, stick to the 10% a week rule, let your joints and tendons get caught up, dont get ahead of your body!
Awesome effort!
2010-01-08 6:11 PM
in reply to: #2603702

User image

Master
St. Louis
norcal_SAHD - 2010-01-08 2:58 PM
Panther - 2010-01-08 11:47 AM Sorry guys, but I have to take a moment to unload and this really is the only place I have to do it...so here goes....

I'm ecstatic!

Dave

fixed it a bit for you. Sealed  Congratulations on the run, and the awesome first week!  I like seeing the confidence you are gaining, very cool!

x2.  What  fantastic start!
2010-01-08 6:54 PM

User image

AWESOME!!!
Congratz and well done!
2010-01-10 6:25 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Hope everyone had a great weekend! I am gassed from racing and the commute, so I will write about Bike technique and drills tommorow. I looked at some logs, great workouts !

A bunch of new articles came out recently, two of them I asked a few months back, has anyone had a chance to read them?

2010-01-10 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2606418

User image

kelowna
nevergivin - 2010-01-10 4:25 PM Hope everyone had a great weekend! I am gassed from racing and the commute, so I will write about Bike technique and drills tommorow. I looked at some logs, great workouts !

A bunch of new articles came out recently, two of them I asked a few months back, has anyone had a chance to read them?

Do you race every weekend?

Good weekend... new runners and a new garminm the price was jus so good at costco I had to get it... now just need to figure out how it works

Now that I have new shoes my foot is recovering, a couple days and I should be able to get back to running.

I was just listening to the new article/video on overuse injuries... I like the MD's idea of active recovery, keep moving but doing something that is not going to injury or stress your existing injury.

the plan for this week... get my membership for the rec center, so I can start swimming, maybe a spin class, maybe a yoga class

Hope everyone had a great weekend!
2010-01-11 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
I had a good weekend, my older daughter turned 8!  I got in a run Sat. morning before her party, but then family was over at our house for the rest of the weekend and I didn't get any more workouts in.  Looks like possible rain this week, I'm going to mountain bike ride as much as I can while I can, cause soon as it rains one more time the trails will be too sloppy for quite a while.
2010-01-11 9:47 AM

User image

Modesto, California

Cycling Technique and drills.

When I first started doing triathlons I thought Biking was easy to learn, I was wrong and did not really get into the dynamics of cycling until this past year, I thought just pedaling was enough, I was wrong!

Much of what I have been practicing over the past year is the same stuff, all of which I have picked up from my cycling team. There are several things that go beyond just pedaling and are very important:

Fit,technique,skills,fitness,weight,equipment.

Fit-you should be able to ride your bike without any pain in your lower back,shoulders etc, a good fit should allow you to ride comfortably and relaxed. If this is a concern, have someone check your fit or do a refit, It can make a huge difference in comfort and power.Riding relaxed is key to going faster and further.

Technique-pedaling efficiently is a science, you want to extend the area that you are pushing the pedals as opposed to dead spots or pulling, try to focus on smooth pedaling and dipping your heel slightly at 10 o’clock position, this will allow for pushing at 11-1 o’clock positions, just a slight dip is all it takes.  As your pedaling you want to be steady in the seat and not bouncing, I have pedaled up to 135rpm without bouncing, I know others that can go much higher. Keep your knees as close to the frame as possible, letting your knees go out takes away power.

Skills-try practicing cornering to get comfortable on your bike, know its turn limits! Try doing figure eights, high speed cornering, one arm cornering. Cornering is skill that can help you during a race, most people slow during turns, use them to accelerate. I practice turns with one hand behind my back, it forces me to use my hips and leaning into turning as opposed to relying on my bars. I have also learned to ride my bike no handed, balance plays a big part in riding efficiently, start with riding one handed and progress, let your hips do the stearing, It’s not easy. Basically the better you are able to handle your bike the less likely you are to end up on the ground, its very common for someone to drop a water bottle during a race, it helps to have good skills that are reactional. Climbing is another skill that I have improved, to me it doesn’t matter if you do it seated or standing, both get the job done, doing more hills gets you stronger at climbing, its not fun but its that simple. People that are good at climbing do lots of it.

Fitness-most of the riding for triathlons is slow and steady, the tempo rides(holding a certain speed for a set distance) will come in the closer you get to your race. Fitness is typically determined by how much you ride and how often. I have gotten faster this year by going further each ride and riding 4-5 days a week instead of 2-3 I did my first couple of years. Ride as much as your schedule will allow.

Weight-There is a reason why I am always one of the last up hills with my team, I weigh 185 and most guys on my team weigh under 160 with 145 the average. It helps!

Equipment-get familiar with changing tires, spend one day and do it 10 times, you will be a pro and will help others from now on, also practice using co2, buy a few and use them. Know what to look for when you flat to see what caused it, nothing worse than changing a flat and having it go flat. I always change tires for others, they just don’t want to learn, I love the practice. Know how to properly clean and oil your bike, it will extend the life of its parts. Always do a precheck before you ride, check cleat screws, check if tires rub brakes, make sure skewers are tight, make sure no grinding or rubbing noises.

Hope this helps!

2010-01-11 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2606762

User image

Modesto, California
ThePassionDiva - 2010-01-10 7:54 PM
nevergivin - 2010-01-10 4:25 PM Hope everyone had a great weekend! I am gassed from racing and the commute, so I will write about Bike technique and drills tommorow. I looked at some logs, great workouts !

Do you race every weekend?

Im doing bike racing every weekend, they are practice races, almost a tune up for the upcomming season. I can recover from them fairly quickly as opposed to doing a triathlon. Also its much more affordable than Triathlon, an average bike race is 20 dollars as opposed to 250 for a half Ironman. I spent over $800.00 on entry fees last year this year I hope to keep it under 500, I need some new wheels!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » nevergivin's group (Closed) Rss Feed  

of 21