BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2010-01-06 7:13 AM
in reply to: #2596470

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Group - FULL!!
Amber871 - 2010-01-05 7:53 PM Anyone else completely ready for the deep freeze season to be over?! I am sick of negative degree wind-chills and highs in the lower single digits. Where are you spring!? I need you!!

I hear you there.  This is that point in the winter where I always question why I still live in Iowa.  Looks like we're going to be lucky to crack 0 this weekend.  After that though the 20s they're predicting are going to feel like a real heat wave

2010-01-06 7:22 AM
in reply to: #2596483

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
carrie639 - 2010-01-05 8:00 PM Excellent -- glad to hear it is getting better!!!

I have a breakthrough tonight as well - 35 miles, 2 hrs on the trainer (doing my HIM course).  Felt good.  Tell me, after all this hard work with I at least have sweet legs???  Hope so . . .

Hope everyone's training is going well

Congrats on the breakthrough!!

I've heard that tri training can lead to sweet legs......and a sweet a$$.  Keep it up to find out if that's true!
2010-01-06 9:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Amber871 - 2010-01-05 7:53 PM Anyone else completely ready for the deep freeze season to be over?! I am sick of negative degree wind-chills and highs in the lower single digits. Where are you spring!? I need you!!

I almost cried (literally) yesterday when I looked at the 10 day forecast and saw it wasn't getting over 25. The cold/dark are really taking their toll on me. I'm hoping if I can make it through this junk, the summer will be that much easier for training. If it's not, I have a feeling, I'm going to be one season and done with this whole tri thing. I gotta remember that this winter is not nearly as bad as last year was, and December was actually pretty nice, for December.

Some dates fo interest (based on Chicago stats):
January 14: The only day of the year that the average high is below freezing. On average, gets warmer every day after that.
January 27: First sunset at 5:00pm. Will be light when I walk out of the office!!
Feb 4: First sunrise at 7:00am. Means I can go for a morning run and see the sun by the end. Its all good from there.

2010-01-06 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
Amber871 - 2010-01-05 5:53 PM Anyone else completely ready for the deep freeze season to be over?! I am sick of negative degree wind-chills and highs in the lower single digits. Where are you spring!? I need you!!

OK, hate to be the kill joy here, but in sunny California...  Actually, that sunny California thing is a myth (in the winter, anyway).  I sit smack dab in the middle of the state in the smack dab middle of a giant valley.  Winters are a mixture of cold, damp fog, rain (if we're lucky), and more cold damp fog.  Granted, we don't see the cold temps the rest of you are seeing, but I have to tell you, after weeks of lows hovering around 40 degrees and highs hovering around 42 degrees and no sign of the sun in sight, I want to put a gun to my head just the same.  On the bright side though--those comparatively cold temps are excellent for training.  What I'm dreading are the weeks on end of 100+ degree temps where it's already 80+ at 6am in the morning.  No fun training in that. 

Sorry it's so miserable where most of you are--but hang in there!  Your logs are an inspiration to me...
2010-01-06 10:35 AM
in reply to: #2556283

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Taking the first week of complete rest I've had in over a year to kind of get back to 100% (nagging aches). FTP Test on my bike this saturday (or sunday) to get some numbers for my IM plan bike zones. Finally my coach e-mailed me back, although I think I'll still end up on my own as he doesn't seem quite so gung-ho about it as he did a few months ago...

Also, final pieces of my new bike came in today... my moron mechanic (ahem...myself) will be toying with it for the next couple of days! Pictures to come soon.
2010-01-06 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2594019

Veteran
Surrey, BC
James89 - 2010-01-04 7:30 PM 
I was pretty surprised at how poorly my legs pushed me through the water.  Something else to work on.

Don't forget that you shouldn't be kicking too hard or even that much while swimming. With your legs muscles being the biggest muscles in the body, all the kicking will simply tire you out. Your legs are more for balance than anything. Use your legs to help you rotate your body and your arms for the propulsion.

2010-01-06 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2597672

Chris, How do you do a FTP test, do you have a powertap on your bike or is there another way. Being an engineer I low to analyze numbers and if there is a way I can measure my improvements in power output it would be great but I can not justify the cost for a powertap ( I guess at least I should get a road bike first). Good luck with figuring out your IM program!
2010-01-06 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2593990

Veteran
Surrey, BC
ncSwede - 2010-01-04 7:09 PM

Lukasz, I have also been watching lots of videos online and trying to mimick what they are doing. I have also ordered the TI dvd an book and can not wait until I get them. When I can do a couple of lengths I think I will take some help from a coach, but now I get exhausted so quickly that I will not be able to get a good value from the coaching session.

After finally being able to get to the pool today, I was able to fix my breathing problem. I guess what I was originally doing that was causing me to take in water while taking a breath was that when I was breathing air out of my nose I stopped shortly before my nose exited the water. What I simply did to fix it was I just kept blowing through my nose for a split second after my nose exited the water and I was able to take in a full breath without any water entering my nose and/or mouth.

2010-01-06 9:37 PM
in reply to: #2599385

Lukasz, that is great. I will try this tomorrow. Today I had some more progress with my swimming and breathing. But I seem to swallow lots of air and feel very bloated after the swimming. I think I need to avoid gasping too hard for air.

2010-01-06 9:52 PM
in reply to: #2599401

User image

Master
Elgin, IL

Had a moment tonight during my masters swim which I think can help you all that are trying to learn to swim and figuring out the breathing.

This is a total NO, NO Laughing, but for the sake of figuring out breathing try using a pull buoy.  If you don't know what a pull buoy is, most pools do have it and it basically looks like a foam dog bone.  Put it between your legs and trying swimming with this. 

What the pull buoy will do is take your legs out of the equation (it keeps your legs afloat) and allow you to focus on your arm stroke/technique so you can get the rotation in the water to get your head out.  Additionally, if you are learning how to swim kicking will take a ton out of you ( because of having to develop swim endurance) and it will allow you to get in some distance while working on your arms and breathing.

Don't do this forever, cuz pull buoys are a crutch if used 100% (but will also help you develop arm strength when you are ready).

PLEASE IF YOU DO THIS TAKE IT SLOW, because by using pull buoys you are pulling yourself through the water 100% using your arms and although you may not feel like you are overdoing it, you can injure your shoulders.

Take is slow and learn the breathing then toss the buoy.  Good luck and let me know how it goes.

2010-01-06 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2599385

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
FYI, even the most experienced swimmers periodically swallow water or get water up their nose . . . it gets less and less as you put in time Laughing

2010-01-06 10:47 PM
in reply to: #2599431

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
carrie639 - 2010-01-06 7:52 PM

Had a moment tonight during my masters swim which I think can help you all that are trying to learn to swim and figuring out the breathing.

This is a total NO, NO Laughing, but for the sake of figuring out breathing try using a pull buoy.  If you don't know what a pull buoy is, most pools do have it and it basically looks like a foam dog bone.  Put it between your legs and trying swimming with this. 

What the pull buoy will do is take your legs out of the equation (it keeps your legs afloat) and allow you to focus on your arm stroke/technique so you can get the rotation in the water to get your head out.  Additionally, if you are learning how to swim kicking will take a ton out of you ( because of having to develop swim endurance) and it will allow you to get in some distance while working on your arms and breathing.

Don't do this forever, cuz pull buoys are a crutch if used 100% (but will also help you develop arm strength when you are ready).

PLEASE IF YOU DO THIS TAKE IT SLOW, because by using pull buoys you are pulling yourself through the water 100% using your arms and although you may not feel like you are overdoing it, you can injure your shoulders.

Take is slow and learn the breathing then toss the buoy.  Good luck and let me know how it goes.

I've been following everyone's swim training vicariously as I've yet to secure swim lessons (or a pool to swim in for that matter), but Carrie please explain to this total noob here why swimming with a pull buoy is a total no no when trying to learn to breath properly.  Maybe it's because I have yet to get in the water, but the entire process is just so darn intimidating to me what with all the lane etiquette and unfamiliar training tools.  Any insight you could provide would be much appreciated.
2010-01-07 5:01 AM
in reply to: #2596504

User image

Veteran
Two hours in the trainer. I just can't seem to get there on that thing. My longest yet has been one hour. I need to learn how to get more time on the trainer. I got the football workout plan that might have promise, but how do you simulate your course? Also, how do you know what gear to be in? My trainer has resistance adjustments but even on low it seems the power needed to go 15 is harder than on the road.

Edited by Jacklcm 2010-01-07 5:06 AM
2010-01-07 5:18 AM
in reply to: #2599341

User image

Veteran
I think power meter would be helpful but that 800-1000 is way too much. Check out the Garmin enable device I found surfing. I've haven't been able to verify how it works, but it sounds interesting. I assume they're using software to estimate power based on speed and elevation change and the next more expensive one has wind speed measurement too (that would seem to be required anything close to accurate power on a windy day). See what you think. Here is their claim: Whether you're training for a race or a personal fitness goal, the iSport can get you there. Fast. The iSport delivers iBike's state-of-the-art performance in a $199 power meter, offering: w Full power meter functions w Advanced cycling computer functions w Built-in Fitness Test w Exclusive on-screen workouts without the need for a computer. No special wheels, hubs, cranks or chains.Just mount and go! Youtube has a cool review : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDBsaT170lI&feature=related

Edited by Jacklcm 2010-01-07 5:44 AM
2010-01-07 7:32 AM
in reply to: #2599490

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Swimming with a pull buoy is a NO, NO long term only because you are not using your legs and you should develop your full body.  I did it all summer long and for my races, but I had and was able to wear a wetsuit (very buoyant) for my races.  There may be races where you cannot wear a wetsuit because that water is too warm and if you don't at least have a little kick to keep your legs up, they will sink and you will be dragging yourself through the water.  Also, once you develop your swim muscles (just like I am trying to develop run muscless) kicking will help you and you should be able to go faster.

It is also a NO, NO because you can injure yourself if you don't take it too slow.  You will find when you use one that swimming will feel so much more effortless and you will want to push yourself and maybe injure or make your shoulders very sore.  I have a very strong upper body and got away with it over the summer, but not without my shoulder aches and pains.

Go for it and try it, just do it slow.  Focus on your breathing and getting comfortable and working on your arm stroke.  You should go slow anyhow working on technique to make sure you are doing it right.  Better to go slow and get technique down pat rather than going faster. 

Swimming at first is very intimidating.  My masters team has 35-45 people in 8 lanes on any given night.  I was totally intimidated the first night but everyone was really nice and great about me being slow and new and learning things.  Don't worry about the others in the pool, it will get easier swimming with them.  If there is a faster swimmer in your lane they will either pass you, of if you know they are on your heels, just wait at the turn around and let them pass.

Go for it and let me know how it goes.

2010-01-07 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2599341

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
ncSwede - 2010-01-06 10:14 PM Chris, How do you do a FTP test, do you have a powertap on your bike or is there another way. Being an engineer I low to analyze numbers and if there is a way I can measure my improvements in power output it would be great but I can not justify the cost for a powertap ( I guess at least I should get a road bike first). Good luck with figuring out your IM program!

Yeah I'll be using my Power meter, but you could get similar zones out of a HR test.
Also...I've never tried it personally, but Kurt (Kurtkinetic) sells an add on for their trainers that is *supposedly* very similar to a power meter, for about $50. Obviously, it measures from the trainers flywheel, which won't be quite as accurate as a PT (or SRM!) but, it's not as important for somebody training to know "Their exact" power output as it is to have *a* constant number to base future workouts on.

2010-01-07 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2556283

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Quick question on counting strokes in the pool. Is one stroke a complete cycle of left arm-right arm, or does each arm count as a stroke?

I always thought it was each arm individually, but saw references to 15 strokes per length and can't imagine ever being that efficient.
2010-01-07 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2600477

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
randomguymike - 2010-01-07 12:49 PM Quick question on counting strokes in the pool. Is one stroke a complete cycle of left arm-right arm, or does each arm count as a stroke?

I always thought it was each arm individually, but saw references to 15 strokes per length and can't imagine ever being that efficient.

each arm.

Fifteen strokes isn't all that few if you are really Reaching to full extension every stroke... for 25m anyways... One just has to SLOW DOWN.
2010-01-07 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2600689

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Leegoocrap - 2010-01-07 12:56 PM

Fifteen strokes isn't all that few if you are really Reaching to full extension every stroke... for 25m anyways... One just has to SLOW DOWN.

Wow. I feel like I'm going so deliberately already. I'm sure my lessons should clear this up. I've been at about 25-28, and was told I look overall OK in the pool by random friend who swam with me one day.  Can't imagine going the same speed (and hopefully about 40% faster), but taking half the strokes. Is this a combination of many things typically, or is there one drill that addresses this?
2010-01-07 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2600739

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
randomguymike - 2010-01-07 2:12 PM
Leegoocrap - 2010-01-07 12:56 PM

Wow. I feel like I'm going so deliberately already. I'm sure my lessons should clear this up. I've been at about 25-28, and was told I look overall OK in the pool by random friend who swam with me one day.  Can't imagine going the same speed (and hopefully about 40% faster), but taking half the strokes. Is this a combination of many things typically, or is there one drill that addresses this?

Mine came from swimming TI (total Immersion) style. Before that I had a pretty high stroke count.

Keep it mind having a higher stroke count is kind of like taking longer strides running... at some point your stride does have to lengthen for you to move faster (as opposed to us all running the same mph at 180 rpm)
When I have a low stroke count, I am much more in a TI style swim... which is NOT how somebody like Michael Phelps swims. His arms are constantly moving, not "spearing" through the water. TI is more of a mindset of "I need to swim... a long time... then do something else" as opposed to "I need to swim 50-400m... FAST." Most people run the 40 different than they do a marathon.

That's most people's biggest complaint with TI... at some point you cannot go any faster without adding strokes back in / moving back to a more traditional style of swimming.
2010-01-07 7:59 PM
in reply to: #2597672

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Leegoocrap - 2010-01-06 10:35 AM Taking the first week of complete rest I've had in over a year to kind of get back to 100% (nagging aches). FTP Test on my bike this saturday (or sunday) to get some numbers for my IM plan bike zones. Finally my coach e-mailed me back, although I think I'll still end up on my own as he doesn't seem quite so gung-ho about it as he did a few months ago...

Also, final pieces of my new bike came in today... my moron mechanic (ahem...myself) will be toying with it for the next couple of days! Pictures to come soon.

Probably a real good idea to take a full week's worth of rest.  I think everyone should take at least a full week off during the off season.  Hopefully you come out of it well rested and recharged.

Can't wait to see pics of the bike!  I'm contemplating what upgrades to make to mine since I finally talked myself out of a new one

2010-01-07 8:06 PM
in reply to: #2600477

User image

Veteran
From the Bt definition section under programs: Distance per Stroke (DPS) - The number of strokes (left and right arm combined) that it takes to go 25 yards. Example, a DPS of 25 means to try to swim 25 yards with 25 left and right arm strokes.
2010-01-07 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2599594

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Jacklcm - 2010-01-07 5:01 AM Two hours in the trainer. I just can't seem to get there on that thing. My longest yet has been one hour. I need to learn how to get more time on the trainer. I got the football workout plan that might have promise, but how do you simulate your course? Also, how do you know what gear to be in? My trainer has resistance adjustments but even on low it seems the power needed to go 15 is harder than on the road.

Long trainer rides can be tough and they are definitely not for everyone.  I went over 2 hours a couple of times last year, but I haven't gone over an hour yet this year.  I think you can get in a good solid workout in in an hour if you work in some hard intervals.

In addition trainer rides are hard because there is a constant resistance and no downhills to rest a little bit.  I know all trainers are not the same.  I have a Kurt Kinetic.  The flywheel is tightened against the back wheel and I basically adjust the resistance by switching gears.  I use a big gear when I want it tougher or want to simulate a hill and get out of the saddle.  During rest intervals I shift down to a nice easy gear and spin for awhile.
2010-01-07 8:12 PM
in reply to: #2599603

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Jacklcm - 2010-01-07 5:18 AM I think power meter would be helpful but that 800-1000 is way too much. Check out the Garmin enable device I found surfing. I've haven't been able to verify how it works, but it sounds interesting. I assume they're using software to estimate power based on speed and elevation change and the next more expensive one has wind speed measurement too (that would seem to be required anything close to accurate power on a windy day). See what you think. Here is their claim: Whether you're training for a race or a personal fitness goal, the iSport can get you there. Fast. The iSport delivers iBike's state-of-the-art performance in a $199 power meter, offering: w Full power meter functions w Advanced cycling computer functions w Built-in Fitness Test w Exclusive on-screen workouts without the need for a computer. No special wheels, hubs, cranks or chains.Just mount and go! Youtube has a cool review : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDBsaT170lI&feature=related[/QUO... />
I remember looking at that a while backing and finding quite a few negative reviews.  I can't remember any details exactly so take that with a grain of salt
2010-01-07 8:15 PM
in reply to: #2601775

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

disturbed275 - 2010-01-07 8:12 PM
Jacklcm - 2010-01-07 5:18 AM I think power meter would be helpful but that 800-1000 is way too much. Check out the Garmin enable device I found surfing. I've haven't been able to verify how it works, but it sounds interesting. I assume they're using software to estimate power based on speed and elevation change and the next more expensive one has wind speed measurement too (that would seem to be required anything close to accurate power on a windy day). See what you think. Here is their claim: Whether you're training for a race or a personal fitness goal, the iSport can get you there. Fast. The iSport delivers iBike's state-of-the-art performance in a $199 power meter, offering: w Full power meter functions w Advanced cycling computer functions w Built-in Fitness Test w Exclusive on-screen workouts without the need for a computer. No special wheels, hubs, cranks or chains.Just mount and go! Youtube has a cool review : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDBsaT170lI&feature=related

I remember looking at that a while backing and finding quite a few negative reviews.  I can't remember any details exactly so take that with a grain of salt

Neal, the quotes got all effed up, so I think this is how it was supposed to be.

Edited by 1stTimeTri 2010-01-07 8:18 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 26