BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tripletmom01 mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2010-01-08 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2557055

User image

New user

Subject: RE: tripletmom01 mentor group - CLOSED

Ok,

I haven't posted in a while, have been busy with training and work.  I have been focusing on the swim for the last 2 weeks and have seen a definate improvement. I still have A LOT of work to do but am progressing in the right direction. I did a timed 400 yder this morning for my final working set and came in at 8:30. I know that is waaaaaaay slow but I wouldnt't have been able to do it last week and I really wasn't even winded after it. I think if I did it as my first working set I would have been quite a bit quicker.

The running is where it needs to be at this point, I think. I did a short run on Wednesday afternoon and will do another 30-45 minutes this afternoon. I am planning on doing a long run either Sat or Sun.

The bike is in the shop for it's initial tune up and will hopefully have that back Sat or Mon.

The weather here, along with the the rest of the eastern 2/3 of the country has been absolute $**+ this week. Hopefully we will be seeing an increase in temps and sunshine for next week and log some higher bike miles.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and ROLL TIDE!!! Sorry had to say that once and only once as I am an Ole Miss grad.  Just glad to see the SEC continue to dominate.

2010-01-08 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Bad new first...went back to the doc today and was told that it will be another 3-4 weeks until my arm is fully healed, and then I can explore the option of PT if needed. I guess its good I got this injury at this time rather then in July, but who really snowboards in July? Anyway I can keep at it on the bike and I guess maybe do some water running soon but that it about where my limitations stand right now.

I do hot have HR zones setup yet. I have been slowly gather information about training in your zones and what not. If I were to plan to setup my HR zones this weekend how would I go about doing them on a trainer?

Finally I might add one more sprint to my race schedule being the Bradford Beach Sprint (Only because the run goes directly past my apt but I have a feeling that will be a decision made the week going into the race

2010-01-08 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2602660

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

f18guy - 2010-01-08 9:30 AM

Ok,

I haven't posted in a while, have been busy with training and work.  I have been focusing on the swim for the last 2 weeks and have seen a definate improvement. I still have A LOT of work to do but am progressing in the right direction. I did a timed 400 yder this morning for my final working set and came in at 8:30. I know that is waaaaaaay slow but I wouldnt't have been able to do it last week and I really wasn't even winded after it. I think if I did it as my first working set I would have been quite a bit quicker.

The running is where it needs to be at this point, I think. I did a short run on Wednesday afternoon and will do another 30-45 minutes this afternoon. I am planning on doing a long run either Sat or Sun.

The bike is in the shop for it's initial tune up and will hopefully have that back Sat or Mon.

The weather here, along with the the rest of the eastern 2/3 of the country has been absolute $**+ this week. Hopefully we will be seeing an increase in temps and sunshine for next week and log some higher bike miles.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and ROLL TIDE!!! Sorry had to say that once and only once as I am an Ole Miss grad.  Just glad to see the SEC continue to dominate.

I think an 8:30 400 is great..... seriously.. I cant swim much fatser and Ive been doing this a while

Im glad the training os going well!!!

2010-01-08 8:17 PM
in reply to: #2603633

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

chasingkona - 2010-01-08 2:29 PM

Bad new first...went back to the doc today and was told that it will be another 3-4 weeks until my arm is fully healed, and then I can explore the option of PT if needed. I guess its good I got this injury at this time rather then in July, but who really snowboards in July? Anyway I can keep at it on the bike and I guess maybe do some water running soon but that it about where my limitations stand right now.

I do hot have HR zones setup yet. I have been slowly gather information about training in your zones and what not. If I were to plan to setup my HR zones this weekend how would I go about doing them on a trainer?

Finally I might add one more sprint to my race schedule being the Bradford Beach Sprint (Only because the run goes directly past my apt but I have a feeling that will be a decision made the week going into the race

Well that does suck!  But it is a good time for it to happen.... a bike focus is a great thing!!

TO do a bike HR test on a trainer... you need a 10- 15 min WU then you need to do an HARD effort for 20 minutes (if you have a good base you can do an hour test..... ) get your ave hr from the  20 min and I can figure out your training zones....make sure to CD also.

Really you want to work hard...like barf hard

2010-01-09 12:34 AM

Subject: RE: tripletmom01 mentor group
Hey guys!

i fell of the wagon... for almost 2 weeks, but I'm BACK! tomorrow

thinking i'll go snowshoeing this weekend to buildup some motivation back..

does anyone have any tips?

tammy?
2010-01-09 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2604449

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

zimzima - 2010-01-09 12:34 AM Hey guys! i fell of the wagon... for almost 2 weeks, but I'm BACK! tomorrow thinking i'll go snowshoeing this weekend to buildup some motivation back.. does anyone have any tips? tammy?

Hey, Taminator - just by sheer coincidence, did you allow this mentee to be in your mentor group because of the coincidence of their name to our indoctrinating Donkai drink of choice that can not be found any longer?

2010-01-09 9:39 AM

So I picked up some used SpeedPlay X2 pedals/cleats off of eBay and some biking shoes at my LBS.  I had no problem affixing the cleats to the shoes but I'm having trouble changing out the pedals.  The current pedals are really tough to loosen up.  I'm pretty sure I'm trying to loosen them in the correct direction (according to the Zinn book).  I've even resorted to pounding on the wrench with a hammer but to no avail.  Any suggestions on how to loosen them up?  Thanks!
2010-01-09 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2604449

zimzima - 2010-01-09 12:34 AM Hey guys! i fell of the wagon... for almost 2 weeks, but I'm BACK! tomorrow thinking i'll go snowshoeing this weekend to buildup some motivation back.. does anyone have any tips? tammy?

Welcome back!  No tips on showshoeing but as for getting back on the band wagon, I'd say try to turn the whole next week peach (ie. log some kind of training each day) in your training log.  No matter what you do, make it your goal to get at least some exercise in  every day.  Even if it's just some short core exercises.  That'll get you back into the habit and put training at the forefront of your mind.  My two cents...
2010-01-09 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2604231

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
tripletmom01 - 2010-01-08 8:17 PM

Well that does suck!  But it is a good time for it to happen.... a bike focus is a great thing!!

TO do a bike HR test on a trainer... you need a 10- 15 min WU then you need to do an HARD effort for 20 minutes (if you have a good base you can do an hour test..... ) get your ave hr from the  20 min and I can figure out your training zones....make sure to CD also.

I can do barf hard! So when I am in my 20 minute session should I try to keep a good consistant cadence going as hard as I can or just go as hard as I can even if that means letting up a lil while here and there. Also my HRM can only depict avg if the front wheel is in motion to set a start time and stop time. I'll try to rig it up to the rear wheel but is there any alternative to that? I plan on doing this tomorrow before the game so I can send out the data to you then
2010-01-09 6:53 PM
in reply to: #2604707

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
mnardulli - 2010-01-09 10:43 AM

Welcome back!  No tips on showshoeing but as for getting back on the band wagon, I'd say try to turn the whole next week peach (ie. log some kind of training each day) in your training log.  No matter what you do, make it your goal to get at least some exercise in  every day.  Even if it's just some short core exercises.  That'll get you back into the habit and put training at the forefront of your mind.  My two cents...

I was off for a month and finaly got 4 workouts in last week. Just set some very short term goals IE: First set of goals is perform 3 workouts this week. That's all you need. Just get the first workout in.
2010-01-09 6:55 PM
in reply to: #2605327

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

sstucker - 2010-01-09 6:53 PM
mnardulli - 2010-01-09 10:43 AM

I was off for a month and finaly got 4 workouts in last week. Just set some very short term goals IE: First set of goals is perform 3 workouts this week. That's all you need. Just get the first workout in.

I agree... I think once you start doimg something again you will feel SO much better.. the rest will come easy

2010-01-09 7:13 PM
in reply to: #2604767

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

chasingkona - 2010-01-09 10:32 AM
tripletmom01 - 2010-01-08 8:17 PM

I can do barf hard! So when I am in my 20 minute session should I try to keep a good consistant cadence going as hard as I can or just go as hard as I can even if that means letting up a lil while here and there. Also my HRM can only depict avg if the front wheel is in motion to set a start time and stop time. I'll try to rig it up to the rear wheel but is there any alternative to that? I plan on doing this tomorrow before the game so I can send out the data to you then

Id say do whatever you can to get the HR up there.  after a few minutes you willpretty much know what HR you will be able to push.  when you get close to the end see if you can crank it up another beat or two.

What HRM set up are you using?

2010-01-09 7:14 PM
in reply to: #2604697

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

mnardulli - 2010-01-09 9:39 AM So I picked up some used SpeedPlay X2 pedals/cleats off of eBay and some biking shoes at my LBS.  I had no problem affixing the cleats to the shoes but I'm having trouble changing out the pedals.  The current pedals are really tough to loosen up.  I'm pretty sure I'm trying to loosen them in the correct direction (according to the Zinn book).  I've even resorted to pounding on the wrench with a hammer but to no avail.  Any suggestions on how to loosen them up?  Thanks!

pedal are weird... they like go the worng way... yeah Im not that good at bike mechanic stuff

What pedals are you taking off?

2010-01-09 9:34 PM
in reply to: #2605355

tripletmom01 - 2010-01-09 7:14 PM

pedal are weird... they like go the worng way... yeah Im not that good at bike mechanic stuff

What pedals are you taking off?

No worries.  I'm taking off some old clip-in/cage pedals.   I always hated the cage and had trouble getting my running shoes in them.  Ended up just taking the cage part off so I had the small platform to rest my shoe on.  Worked fine for a while but looking forward to getting the clip-less to work.
2010-01-09 9:37 PM
in reply to: #2598930

Regular
tripletmom01 - 2010-01-06 6:10 PM

wanna race - 2010-01-06 5:23 PM What training plan did you use for your first IM? Starting to say screw it and go ahead and do a full this year. I can always make time for training when needed, but don't let the wife know that I said that! thanks, mace

I kind of made up my own my first year and had a coach my second year

Helpful arent I???

I know there a re a few available.... either check the IM forums  or  I will later and let you know

GEE THANKS GUESS YOU DID IT ALL ON YOUR OWN?

2010-01-09 10:28 PM

thanks for the help guys!

you're the best

2010-01-11 8:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
I THINK I FINALY FIGURE OUT HOW TO PERFORM A PROPER "S" STROKE FOR THE SWIM!!!

I was doing my swim workout this morning concentrating on staying long. I peaked over to the other guy, who seemed to be a good swimmer, so I checked his stroke from under water while trying to do my length and for some reason I started emulating his hand movement and BANG the "S" stroke. Before I was doing more of a backward "J", I thougth I was doing something right cause my LATS where doing the work and not my shoulders. Anyway the feeling of the stroke felt so much smoother and longer. My arms got tired faster from the longer push but once I get the conditioning in I'm sure that won't be a problem.

The other thing I think I'm doing wrong is I'm keeping my arm straight and I think it needs to be bent. I just don't know how much. I've tried to figure it out with the videos here on BT but it seems they all have their arms straight with a slight bend at the elbow.

Anyway this week for the swim still concentrating on staying long and perfecting my newly found stroke, and for the run building endurance for next two weeks before I start the hard workouts.

Have a good day and week everyone.
2010-01-11 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2607058

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
sstucker - 2010-01-11 8:27 AM

I was doing my swim workout this morning concentrating on staying long. I peaked over to the other guy, who seemed to be a good swimmer, so I checked his stroke from under water while trying to do my length and for some reason I started emulating his hand movement and BANG the "S" stroke. Before I was doing more of a backward "J", I thougth I was doing something right cause my LATS where doing the work and not my shoulders. Anyway the feeling of the stroke felt so much smoother and longer. My arms got tired faster from the longer push but once I get the conditioning in I'm sure that won't be a problem.

The other thing I think I'm doing wrong is I'm keeping my arm straight and I think it needs to be bent. I just don't know how much. I've tried to figure it out with the videos here on BT but it seems they all have their arms straight with a slight bend at the elbow.

Anyway this week for the swim still concentrating on staying long and perfecting my newly found stroke, and for the run building endurance for next two weeks before I start the hard workouts.

When you're talking about the arms being bent, I assume you're talking about underwater, on the pull, right?? Generally you want to get your elbow bent to close to 90 degrees through the bulk of your stroke. When you start your pull, you take a little scull motion down and to the outside, and you should feel like you're getting your elbows up and bent at that point. Then through the rest of the pull up to the finish (when you extend your arm again) you want to keep your elbows bent. For me, I try to imagine that I'm swimming in a shallow wading pool, where my hands can't get too deep below my body. If your arms are bent close to 90 degrees through the middle of the pull, that's about right. A little less bend is OK if it's more comfortable. One other way to think about it - go into the deep end, put two hands on the deck of the pool and pull yourself out. Generally, you're exerting force in the same direction doing that as you are swimming. So try to get yourself out of the pool with straight arms... then a little bend.... then 90 degrees. You'll figure out where your natural strength is.
2010-01-11 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2607140

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
MLJ - 2010-01-11 10:00 AM

sstucker - 2010-01-11 8:27 AM

When you're talking about the arms being bent, I assume you're talking about underwater, on the pull, right?? Generally you want to get your elbow bent to close to 90 degrees through the bulk of your stroke. When you start your pull, you take a little scull motion down and to the outside, and you should feel like you're getting your elbows up and bent at that point. Then through the rest of the pull up to the finish (when you extend your arm again) you want to keep your elbows bent. For me, I try to imagine that I'm swimming in a shallow wading pool, where my hands can't get too deep below my body. If your arms are bent close to 90 degrees through the middle of the pull, that's about right. A little less bend is OK if it's more comfortable. One other way to think about it - go into the deep end, put two hands on the deck of the pool and pull yourself out. Generally, you're exerting force in the same direction doing that as you are swimming. So try to get yourself out of the pool with straight arms... then a little bend.... then 90 degrees. You'll figure out where your natural strength is.

Ah! thanks. I was doing it correctly before then. If I didn't have to work I'd be jumping back in the pool just to tryout your pointers.

Thank you very much...very helpfull.
2010-01-11 1:47 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

yeah... I dont really like the S stroke.... Im not sure why exactly it is taught.

The bent elbow was expalined to me as having high elbows....really like  over exaggerate it a lot and you will get in the right spot... I did high elbow drill after drill.  You can pretend you are on a board that goes out pat your body so your shoulders and elbows cant sink down... you almost want them on a parallel plane with your shoulders.

Idont know if that makes sense.  Matts shallow pool imagery I have heard to only it was pretend there is sharp corral reef under you (a little more exotic)

2010-01-11 4:52 PM
in reply to: #2584589

User image

New user

tripletmom01 - 2009-12-30 3:13 PM

OK...in order to determine your HR training zones you need to find your Lactate threshold (LT).  What is LT...well an easy explanation is.... once your body is working at or over LT ..your blood starts isnt able to flush the lactic acid outof the muscle.... you arent able to work at LT for very long.

Your bike and run LTs will be different your run will be higher....  just because as you are sitting on the bike you just cant get your hr as high as when you run.

To find your run LT you need to run a 10 (even a 5k is OK - esp for beginners)  I really suggest a race because your hr will be higher and you will run faster (right Chris??).  If you cant find a race you can just run on your own.... just to get some numbers.  You LT will be your average hr for the race.  It is important to also do a warm up but do not include this in the ave hr.

Pretty much the same for the bike...rpobaly not gonna find a race...but you can push HARD for 30 minutes and see where you are at.  You will probaly have to work in a hard gear to getour hr up.

If you guys get me your LTs or ave hr I can figure out your zones for you

The zones....

Zone 1 is mostly for recovery its SUPER easy.... almost not even worth running  this summer was the first time I have ever done a TRUE Z1 run!

Zone 2 is where you want to be working most of the time... this is where you build endurance and could run forever... its easy but it is gonna build a ton of endurance- promise (I have doubted this too- but it works)

Zone 3- this is where most of us WANT to train.... it is kind of a grey area where you arent getting a lot of gains.  It feel like youhave done something in Z3 but really you arent doing much except getting tired  I do run Z3/Z4 for my tempos.

Zone 4 this is sub threshold..  its hard to run z4 but once you are there youcan hangthere for a while.  This is where you sdhould being doing your tempo runs

Zone 5 threshold- you can race here (5K/maybe 10K) your speed work will be here...a lot of people will break z5 down in to 5a, 5b, and 5c.... I dont really think there is much need for that.  Zone 5 is hard end of sentence

Does this make sense??... I try to keep it simple!

Is it too late for you to hook me up with some calculations?

I did a 4 miler today and pushed it up, I came in just under 28 minutes and averaged 176 BPM maxing out at 185 BPM.

Thanks in advance. 

2010-01-12 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2608474

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

f18guy - 2010-01-11 4:52 PM
tripletmom01 - 2009-12-30 3:13 PM

The zones....

Zone 2 is where you want to be working most of the time... this is where you build endurance and could run forever... its easy but it is gonna build a ton of endurance- promise (I have doubted this too- but it works)

Recommended for distance/endurance sports.  This is what my coach had me doing.  EVERYBODY will get frustrated thinking they have to run fast all the time.  Not so true.  It takes time to develop this base training to allow the body to become more EFFICIENT and burn FAT for fuel.

Edited by 1stTimeTri 2010-01-12 9:08 AM
2010-01-13 6:57 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

So are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?? 

2010-01-14 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
WOW! this is a quiet group.

Anyway did another swim workout last night using pointers from MLJ and Tammy and I'm really getting the hang of things. It feels pretty good. Again sticking with concentrating on staying long with full strokes. I noticed my upper arms were pretty pumped after so I'm thinking this is caused by lack of swim fitness and/or not fully engaging my lats. I didn't feel much in my shoulders so I would think I'm doing something right to not engage them.

Thanks again for your help.
2010-01-14 2:42 PM
in reply to: #2614043

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
Sounds good. Your triceps should really get pounded if you're working on finishing all the way down. Here's my next mini-drill for you Sylvain.... Lots of people do the "fingertip drag drill" where they drag their fingertips across the water in their recovery. That's fine, but I think more important is making sure that your arms are relaxed during the recovery. So instead of dragging your fingertips, try just shaking your hands during the recovery (hard to explain without showing you, but the same motion as if you were playing the piano and alternating playing a key with your thumb and your pinky). It's impossible to do that with your lower arms tense. Hopefully your arms are already relaxed during the recovery, but if not, learning to do it will make swimming a lot easier.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tripletmom01 mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17