BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tripletmom01 mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-12-14 6:26 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Subject: tripletmom01 mentor group - CLOSED

NAME: tripletmom01/Tammy
STORY:  I have completed 2 IM (WI), a few marathons and lots  of other tris and runs.  I am very competeitive and have a huge passion for tris.  I am working on my USAC coaching certification right now.  I had a great mentor group last year and hope to have another great group this time.
FAMILY STATUS: I am married- I have triplets (G/G/B) who are 8!  They have also done some tris and some 5ks!
CURRENT TRAINING:  I train.. a lot  Right now I am dealing with a stramge leg hip injury (because I think I am very supergirlish and can increase mt run mileage my crazy amounts...ugh) and am suppose to be doing the RnR marathon in Tempe next month!  I am not signed up for an M this year which makes my race season a little harder to determine.  I will probaly pick a few HIMs to focus on.

I was anemic last year which was VERY tough for me- I found out late in the season and struggled alot with training and racing- so I am hoping for a MUCH MUCH better 2010!
THIS YEAR'S RACES: IMWI was my A race... I was still slightly anemic at the time so struggled with the run so I did not at all meet my goals and finished in 13 something...oh well I am over it!!
2009 RACES:  Since I am not doing an IM I will work more on speed rather then endurance- which should be FUN!
WEIGHTLOSS: I know  a lot about wieght loss and weight gain- I was anorexic in college so eating habits are something I have dealt with and still sometimes continue to deal with.
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  I love helping people and sharing my passion for racing.  I ahve a degree in exercise physiology and am working on becoming a coach.  I have helped a lot of my friends with their training.  Oh and I can be kind of fun too

Edited by tripletmom01 2009-12-23 6:44 AM

2009-12-15 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2557055

User image

Subject: RE: tripletmom01 mentor group OPEN!

I would like to join your mentor group! Will you have me?

NAME: Chris
STORY:  I recently lost 112lbs and had a goal of finishing a sprint distance tri. I accomplished both of those goals earlier this year (March 2009). Since that point, I have caught the bug and really enjoy the sport. I have dreams of becoming a better triathlete and opening a Multisport shop. I am also writing a book about my journey from 308.6lbs to my first full ironman..
FAMILY STATUS: I am currently married and have three children. Maya (12), Madilyn (7), Lincoln (2).
CURRENT TRAINING:  After finishing a HIM in October, I have been trying to be run focused in preparation for a January Marathon. I am suffering from a knee sprain and haven't ran for 8 days. I did do my first run today.
THIS YEAR'S RACES (2010): Full Mary in January (hopefully, maybe just 13.1), HIM Galveston-TX April, OLY Dallax-TX May, HIM Racine July, HIM Austin - October. I would like to do a full 140.6 in 2010, however I missed out on the one I wanted to do.
2009 RACES:  Caveman Sprint, Disco Sprint, Toyota Open Oly, Longhorn 70.3, 5k
WEIGHTLOSS: I currently wiegh in about 197lbs down from 308.6.
WHAT I'M HOPING TO GAIN FROM THIS: I am hoping to meet new friends, be accountable to a group and learn from Tammy about training/nutrition.

Edited by texastriman 2009-12-15 8:16 PM
2009-12-15 7:40 PM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
I'd like to join if you'll take me. Here's my info:

NAME: MLJ / Matt
STORY:  I was a competitive swimmer through college, but got entirely out of shape over the next 10 +years ago as I focused on a career, and frankly recovered from burn-out. I got into triathlon as a way to get back in shape and did a sprint in 2007. After that, I quickly decided I wanted to do longer distance tris rather than redlining on sprints. In 2008 I completed two Olympics, one of which was great and the other not so much. I lost some enthusiasm after the poor race, and ended up taking 2009 off, while also stressing over a collapsing business. I'm back at it now and trying to prepare for the 2010 season without making my past mistakes - my body is built for swimming, and I've battled injuries associated with cycling and running.
FAMILY STATUS: I'm married with three daughters (twins who are 6 and a little one who is 4), and two young dogs.
CURRENT TRAINING:  I'm training about 5 hours a week, trying to be smart about gradually ramping up. I'm hoping to start a 20 week HIM plan in order to train for a HIM (my first) in June. Right now I'm not sure my running will be up to the starting levels without busting the 10% rule.
THIS YEAR'S RACES (2010): I loved racing Liberty in 2008 and hope to do the HIM there in June. It's only a few miles from my house, and the course is my regular training route. After that, I'm not sure, it depends on how much the HIM schedule messes up family time. I would hope to do another race or two later in the season.
2009 RACES:  None.
WEIGHTLOSS: I've gained about 25 pounds over the past year and currently weigh between 215 and 220. I should really be around 185 to 195 or so, and I think that would really give me a better chance of training injury free, and racing a bit faster.
WHAT I'M HOPING TO GAIN FROM THIS: With my swimming background, I usually fair OK on the swim, but then it goes downhill from there. I'm hoping to improve my cycling and running enough to be more competitive, while also learning the nutrition aspects of longer races. At the same time, my training time is limited due to my family obligations and my job, so I don't expect to be challenging for the podium anytime soon.

Edited by MLJ 2009-12-15 9:00 PM
2009-12-15 7:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Name: Sylvain

I believe this is the group for me, can I join?

STORY: Had a very active lifestyle, then stopped all when had first child 5 years ago. For my standard I was in terrible shape and was starting to worry about keeping up with my daughter when she became a teen. I want her to be active also and she will need to learn from somewhere. One day I fell upon an article titled "Train like a triathlete to get in shape fast". I read the article and was hooked. Couple days later I started running in my yard (5 acres), 30 seconds run, 30 sec walk. I started searching for info on triathlon, found BT, sign up. Browsed around and found the couch to 5K program. This was in Aug/07. Not having access to Bike or pool, I stuck to running. Finnished my first Half Marathon in May/08, then first Marathon in September/08. Ran two Marathons in 2009, plus a 30K and 10K running race. Now, 2010, is the season I will race some Tri sprints. I found a gym that has all facilities for my indoor (winter) training (swim, bike (stationary & spin classes), treadmills, and equipment for core workouts). My ultimate goal is IM before I'm 45.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 8 years, with two children aged 5 and 2.

CURRENT TRAINING: Last four weeks I've not done any training, only played hockey once a week. Joining this group so I can get my legs moving again. I normaly don't need lot of pushing to train, but I'm hoping this will help me stay consistant.

2009 RACES: 30K around the Bay Hamilton, Canada - Ottawa Marathon Ottawa, Canada - 10K Oshawa Canada -Scotia Waterfront Marathon Toronto, Canada.

2010 RACES: 30K Around the Bay, Tri sprints - not decided yet so many to choose from.

WEIGHTLOSS: Nice to have but not wasting energy on it. Need my energy to SWIM, BIKE and RUN, oh! lets not forget some CORE workouts.

2009-12-15 7:57 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Yes Yes Yes...welcome all of you!

Chris can you tell us a little about yourself too?

Sylvain- 30ks...nice!! I have been wanting to do one of those!

Matt- I am thinking once you do your first HIM you may be hooked

2009-12-15 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2561053

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

texastriman - 2009-12-15 7:39 PM

I would like to join your mentor group! Will you have me?

NAME: Chris
STORY:  I recently lost 112lbs and had a goal of finishing a sprint distance tri. I accomplished both of those goals earlier this year (March 2009). Since that point, I have caught the bug and really enjoy the sport. I have dreams of becoming a better triathlete and opening a Multisport shop. I am also writing a book about my journey from 308.6lbs to my first full ironman..
FAMILY STATUS: I am currently married and have three children. Maya (12), Madilyn (7), Lincoln (2).
CURRENT TRAINING:  After finishing a HIM in October, I have been trying to be run focused in preparation for a January Marathon. I am suffering from a knee sprain and haven't ran for 8 days. I did do my first run today.
THIS YEAR'S RACES (2010): Full Mary in January (hopefully, maybe just 13.1), HIM Galveston-TX April, OLY Dallax-TX May, HIM Racine July, HIM Austin - October. I would like to do a full 140.6 in 2010, however I missed out on the one I wanted to do.
2009 RACES:  Caveman Sprint, Disco Sprint, Toyota Open Oly, Longhorn 70.3, 5k
WEIGHTLOSS: I currently wiegh in about 197lbs down from 308.6.
WHAT I'M HOPING TO GAIN FROM THIS: I am hoping to meet new friends, be accountable to a group and learn from Tammy about training/nutrition.

Ummm... its Ok if you want to admit you know me!!!

I have been helping Chris with his training.

2009-12-15 9:01 PM

User image

I would like to join this group.

Name: Mace (like the spray)
Story: Though I have been athletic all of my life, I have had a bit of a struggle recently. I have a busy work schedule and right now it is a matter of finding the time. I havn't raced in a couple of years, but have done all distances except for full.
Family status: married 5 years, 4 year old daughter
Current training: TBD
2009 races: None
2010 races: sprint, oly, and a half or full (this will be determined based on how my training in the next few months goes)

Weightloss: I would like to lose 20-25lbs.

Look forward to the up coming months.

2009-12-15 10:20 PM

May I join this group too?

NAME: Marc
STORY:  About 5 years ago I did my first triathlon.  Up until August of this year, that was the only triathlon I completed.  In June I decided to try another one and signed up for the Chicago tri.  I enjoyed training for and competing in that and now hope to move up to Olympic distance in 2010.
FAMILY STATUS: Married with two boys.  Peter (5) and Eric (3).
CURRENT TRAINING:  Currently enrolled in a once-a-week triathlon training program.  It's good for high intensity workouts.  Focusing on running and biking since those are, by far, my weak points.  I have a bike trainer that I ride about 2 times a week and try to run 2-3 times per week.  No swimming.  Yes, I'll start updating my training logs .
THIS YEAR'S RACES (2010): A few sprints (including an indoor in March) and maybe 2 Olympics (including the Chicago Tri).
2009 RACES:  Chicago Triathlon (Sprint) and the Hot Chocolate 15k.
WEIGHTLOSS: Not a part of my training goals.
WHAT I'M HOPING TO GAIN FROM THIS: Training accountability, a chance to talk with others about triathlons and learn from those who've done this much more than I.
2009-12-15 10:40 PM

User image

Corpus Christi, TX

Can I join?

NAME: Joe

STORY:  I'm a 25 yr old former Marine who has been active pretty much since I was a kid.  I've never been the best on the team but I always tried.  After I got out of the Marine Corps I started college and all I did was sit around, eat whatever I wanted, and drank beer.  After about 8 months of this I decided enough was enough.  I started running and before I knew it I completed a duathlon, adventure race, and a marathon.  Recently I've had IT Band issues but I think I fixed the problem with some modifications to my bike fit and some specific stretching that I found on the internet.  Right now I'm riding about 8 miles with no knee pain and I'll continue to slowly build up the mileage.  Anyway, now I want to tackle triathlons......the only problem is I'm not a strong swimmer at all.  Luckily I have a friend who said she would help me out.  I look forward to being part of the group and hope to learn along the way.

FAMILY STATUS: No family so I have plenty of time to train.

CURRENT TRAINING:
Like I said I'm not a strong swimmer so I'm going to focus mainly on swimming for now along with building up the mileage on my bike.  Running has never been a problem for me.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2010):
Texas State Sprint (April), Windcrest Freshman Tri (May), Rockin R Toobin Tri (May), Fiesta Marathon (December), and maybe some others..........

2009 RACES:
  1 duathlon (can't remember name), Surf N Turf 2009 SPI, TX, Rock N Roll Marathon San Antonio, TX

WEIGHTLOSS:
Currently weight around 160-165

WHAT I'M HOPING TO GAIN FROM THIS:
I'm hoping to learn more about the sport of triathlon, meet some cool people who can help me along the way, and maybe even inspire others to live a health lifestyle.
2009-12-15 11:25 PM

User image

Hi there,

Can I please join this group? Here's my story:

NAME: treehugger/Jules
STORY:  I was a competitive swimmer through high school, rode a bike a lot in college (for transportation and fun, not racing), and then started running in grad school. I never put them all together until last summer, which was my first season of triathlon. I had a great time, and I'm looking forward to next season.
FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 kids (6 and 4). I have triplets in my family (brother and 2 sisters)!
CURRENT TRAINING:  I've been run-focused since September, training for a trail marathon. Now that that's done, I'm getting back to the bike and swim, and hoping to keep my run base up higher than it was last year.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Still figuring that out. Fewer, higher quality races than in 2009.
2009 RACES:  3 sprints, 2 Olys, 2 half and 2 full marathons. Too many for me!
WEIGHTLOSS: Maintenance. I really like ice cream.

WHAT I'M HOPING TO GAIN FROM THIS: It's fun to be a part of a group, hearing about other people's training and races and sharing tips and encouragement!

2009-12-16 4:52 AM

User image

North Chelmsford
I would like to join your mentor group.

In a former life (or so it seems), I used to be a semi-competitive runner.  A lot of 5ks, always within the top couple spots for my age group and top 10% overall.  I was training to run marathons until injuries (not sport related) and life derailed me.  Now, here I am, 10 years past the end of my competitive years, about 50lbs heavier, looking to get back to something different that with bring me back into my athletic shape.  

I have had a lot of things change in the last few years.  Some for the worse (divorce), some for the better (now happily married) and the addition of twins through that marriage.  I know it won't be easy as it was in my early years, but if I am going to make my goal (IM by age 35), I need to get started.  I have 18 months till my 35th birthday, so now is the time to stop dreaming and start working.

I want to join this group, because I have twin 6 year old boys.  I think being in a group with people who have kids (especially the same age range) with help me, as I try balancing life and becoming a triathlete.

Tim

2009-12-16 5:27 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

So, this is why you can't send inspires anymore?

2009-12-16 6:02 AM
in reply to: #2561200

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

wanna race - 2009-12-15 9:01 PM I would like to join this group. Name: Mace (like the spray) Story: Though I have been athletic all of my life, I have had a bit of a struggle recently. I have a busy work schedule and right now it is a matter of finding the time. I havn't raced in a couple of years, but have done all distances except for full. Family status: married 5 years, 4 year old daughter Current training: TBD 2009 races: None 2010 races: sprint, oly, and a half or full (this will be determined based on how my training in the next few months goes) Weightloss: I would like to lose 20-25lbs. Look forward to the up coming months.

Yes Mace (that is a super cool name by the way!)  you are in.  where are you from?

2009-12-16 6:04 AM
in reply to: #2561317

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

mnardulli - 2009-12-15 10:20 PM May I join this group too?

NAME: Marc
STORY:  About 5 years ago I did my first triathlon.  Up until August of this year, that was the only triathlon I completed.  In June I decided to try another one and signed up for the Chicago tri.  I enjoyed training for and competing in that and now hope to move up to Olympic distance in 2010.
FAMILY STATUS: Married with two boys.  Peter (5) and Eric (3).
CURRENT TRAINING:  Currently enrolled in a once-a-week triathlon training program.  It's good for high intensity workouts.  Focusing on running and biking since those are, by far, my weak points.  I have a bike trainer that I ride about 2 times a week and try to run 2-3 times per week.  No swimming.  Yes, I'll start updating my training logs .
THIS YEAR'S RACES (2010): A few sprints (including an indoor in March) and maybe 2 Olympics (including the Chicago Tri).
2009 RACES:  Chicago Triathlon (Sprint) and the Hot Chocolate 15k.
WEIGHTLOSS: Not a part of my training goals.
WHAT I'M HOPING TO GAIN FROM THIS: Training accountability, a chance to talk with others about triathlons and learn from those who've done this much more than I.

Marc-

Are you from the Chicago area?

Yes and please work on blogging your workouts...that for one will make you more accountable for your work outs

2009-12-16 6:07 AM
in reply to: #2561339

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

dboy25 - 2009-12-15 10:40 PM

Can I join?

NAME: Joe

STORY:  I'm a 25 yr old former Marine who has been active pretty much since I was a kid.  I've never been the best on the team but I always tried.  After I got out of the Marine Corps I started college and all I did was sit around, eat whatever I wanted, and drank beer.  After about 8 months of this I decided enough was enough.  I started running and before I knew it I completed a duathlon, adventure race, and a marathon.  Recently I've had IT Band issues but I think I fixed the problem with some modifications to my bike fit and some specific stretching that I found on the internet.  Right now I'm riding about 8 miles with no knee pain and I'll continue to slowly build up the mileage.  Anyway, now I want to tackle triathlons......the only problem is I'm not a strong swimmer at all.  Luckily I have a friend who said she would help me out.  I look forward to being part of the group and hope to learn along the way.

FAMILY STATUS: No family so I have plenty of time to train.

CURRENT TRAINING:
Like I said I'm not a strong swimmer so I'm going to focus mainly on swimming for now along with building up the mileage on my bike.  Running has never been a problem for me.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2010):
Texas State Sprint (April), Windcrest Freshman Tri (May), Rockin R Toobin Tri (May), Fiesta Marathon (December), and maybe some others..........

2009 RACES:
  1 duathlon (can't remember name), Surf N Turf 2009 SPI, TX, Rock N Roll Marathon San Antonio, TX

WEIGHTLOSS:
Currently weight around 160-165

I'm hoping to learn more about the sport of triathlon, meet some cool people who can help me along the way, and maybe even inspire others to live a health lifestyle.

Hi Joe

Cool- we have 2 people from TX

U have had ITBS problems inthe past also... luckily  they dont usually last too long.

Welcome to the group!

2009-12-16 6:08 AM
in reply to: #2561359

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

treehugger - 2009-12-15 11:25 PM Hi there,

Can I please join this group? Here's my story:

NAME: treehugger/Jules
STORY:  I was a competitive swimmer through high school, rode a bike a lot in college (for transportation and fun, not racing), and then started running in grad school. I never put them all together until last summer, which was my first season of triathlon. I had a great time, and I'm looking forward to next season.
FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 kids (6 and 4). I have triplets in my family (brother and 2 sisters)!
CURRENT TRAINING:  I've been run-focused since September, training for a trail marathon. Now that that's done, I'm getting back to the bike and swim, and hoping to keep my run base up higher than it was last year.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Still figuring that out. Fewer, higher quality races than in 2009.
2009 RACES:  3 sprints, 2 Olys, 2 half and 2 full marathons. Too many for me!
WEIGHTLOSS: Maintenance. I really like ice cream.

WHAT I'M HOPING TO GAIN FROM THIS: It's fun to be a part of a group, hearing about other people's training and races and sharing tips and encouragement!

Hi Jules

You will fit in well here cuz I love ice cream too

2009-12-16 6:11 AM
in reply to: #2561416

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

ttwest1999 - 2009-12-16 4:52 AM I would like to join your mentor group.

In a former life (or so it seems), I used to be a semi-competitive runner.  A lot of 5ks, always within the top couple spots for my age group and top 10% overall.  I was training to run marathons until injuries (not sport related) and life derailed me.  Now, here I am, 10 years past the end of my competitive years, about 50lbs heavier, looking to get back to something different that with bring me back into my athletic shape.  

I have had a lot of things change in the last few years.  Some for the worse (divorce), some for the better (now happily married) and the addition of twins through that marriage.  I know it won't be easy as it was in my early years, but if I am going to make my goal (IM by age 35), I need to get started.  I have 18 months till my 35th birthday, so now is the time to stop dreaming and start working.

I want to join this group, because I have twin 6 year old boys.  I think being in a group with people who have kids (especially the same age range) with help me, as I try balancing life and becoming a triathlete.

Tim

Hi Tim!

Its good to know you have speed deep down- it will come back with some run focus   Where are you from?

If you are serious about doing an IM before you are 35 you know you need to sign up for one this summer? !

2009-12-16 6:14 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

So there are now 8 of us I will let a few more join then close our group.

I encourage all of you to fill out your logs daily and to add each other as friends.

Does anyone have any races SOON?  And what are you all focusing on during the off season?

2009-12-16 6:31 AM
in reply to: #2561474

User image

North Chelmsford
Yeah, the speed is somewhere deep down.

I'm from Mass (only recently moved there from a lifetime in New Hampshire.

I'd settle for an IM while I'm 35...because I just don't think I'll be ready for one this year.  I am starting to plan my schedule for this year, a sprint, a couple of internationals, and a 1/2 IM
2009-12-16 6:40 AM
in reply to: #2561490

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

ttwest1999 - 2009-12-16 6:31 AM Yeah, the speed is somewhere deep down.

I'm from Mass (only recently moved there from a lifetime in New Hampshire.

I'd settle for an IM while I'm 35...because I just don't think I'll be ready for one this year.  I am starting to plan my schedule for this year, a sprint, a couple of internationals, and a 1/2 IM

Are you thinking Lake Placid for the full?  Thats probaly the closest?

2009-12-16 7:17 AM
in reply to: #2561468

tripletmom01 - 2009-12-16 6:04 AM

Marc-

Are you from the Chicago area?

Yes and please work on blogging your workouts...that for one will make you more accountable for your work outs

I've lived in the Chicago area for about 12 years now.  I live out in the burbs (Glenview) and work downtown.

Logging AND blogging my workouts......I'll give it a try

2009-12-16 7:19 AM

User image

Is it to late to join the group?
2009-12-16 8:09 AM

User image

New user
Tempe
Hi tripletmom01 - can I join this group?

NAME: Kara

STORY:  I'm a 27 year old woman living in Tempe, Arizona where they seem to have triathlons scheduled every weekend. After college and a couple years after of a steady diet of beer, chocolate and chicken fingers, I joined Weight Watchers and lost 35 pounds in 2006. I really got into running and have done a few full marathons, several halfs and a few misc. My husband started doing triathlons this year so I've been the spectator at a few triathlons and now need to do it!

FAMILY STATUS: Husband (who also trains)

CURRENT TRAINING:
 I am using one of the free plans for a sprint triathlon - with a couple of adjustments. I've also tried to integrate training for a full marathon and I'm learning how to swim.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2010):
 Lost Dutchman Marathon, AZ (February) Bartlett Lake Sprint Triathlon, AZ (March - my first tri!)..........

2009 RACES:
  PF Chang's RNR Marathon, ET Midnight Half Marathon, Hoover Dam Half Marathon, Turkey Trot 10k

WEIGHTLOSS:
 Weigh 135. Want to keep it there but maybe lean up a bit

I want to feel really confident at the start of my sprint tri in March. I also want to gain (and give) motivation who are in the same boat!
2009-12-16 8:10 AM
in reply to: #2561504

User image

North Chelmsford
Yep.  Lake Placid is the plan
2009-12-16 8:12 AM
in reply to: #2561465

User image

I live in oklahoma and thanks for letting me join the group.

Edited by wanna race 2009-12-16 8:22 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tripletmom01 mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17