BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2010-01-13 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2557655

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010!
Do we need Tri shorts or can you do the whole race in bike shorts with the thin Gel pad?  Oh and one other question.  My bike has old Shimano pedals that are mountain bike size clips will I have to buy a Mountain bike shoe or will any of them work? And What is a TRI shoe how does it differ from a regular road bike shoe or mountain bike shoe?  Thanks

2010-01-13 12:38 PM
in reply to: #2611925

Extreme Veteran
SAWFISH50 - 2010-01-13 1:24 PM Do we need Tri shorts or can you do the whole race in bike shorts with the thin Gel pad?  Oh and one other question.  My bike has old Shimano pedals that are mountain bike size clips will I have to buy a Mountain bike shoe or will any of them work? And What is a TRI shoe how does it differ from a regular road bike shoe or mountain bike shoe?  Thanks

So here's my 2 cents from very limited experience:
Do you need trishorts?  Maybe.  Running in bike shorts can be a painful challenge and I don't recommend it.  If your race is short enough, you might be able to get away with biking in running shorts or jammers.  The only way to know is to go out and try riding and see.  If the gel pad is really thin, you might be able to run in them.

Bike shoes:  Tri shoes differ from regular bike shoes in how they close - its usually one big velcro flap so you can get in and out quickly.  My roadbike shoes have a ratcheting strap and a velcro strap closer to the toes.  I get into them easy enough.  I'm not breaking any records or threatening for the podium, so I'm OK with an extra strap.  There's a good chance that changing shoes will force you to change pedals (or vice versa.)  BTW, mountain bike shoes are nice because you can walk around in them without clopping like a horse or falling on your butt.
2010-01-13 1:00 PM

User image

Regular
Thanks for the info.  I was wondering about the shorts cause the Tri shorts didn't seem like they have much in the way of pading,  but for a sprint which is where I plan to start I'm sure my @ss will hold up with minimal pad.

I think Ill get a pair of MTB shoes I saw a nice pair at the LBS for about $80

Edited by SAWFISH50 2010-01-13 1:01 PM
2010-01-13 3:31 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
Did my resistance workout today. 10 minute exercise bike warmup, followed by resistance. Usually end with 20 minute run, but stopped at 5 today wasn't in the mood. Tomorrow, will hopefully do a 10k
2010-01-13 3:31 PM
in reply to: #2610798

User image

Expert
Canada
pastoops - 2010-01-12 10:56 PMSo, compliment of the day...After spin class today my friend Denise said..."Hey Phil, do you mind if I tell you something and I hope you'll take this the right way..."So, I'm like, sure (being the ever friendly and really thick skinned happy guy I am...I mean, what could possibly offend me???)She said, "Well, me and a girl friend were walking into the gym past the pool and she said.."Wow, look at that guy, his a** is smaller than mine!" She said, Phil it was you she was talking about.So I guess all my working out is going well if strange women think I have a nice small rear end......I'll take it. (and I haven't had a compliment like that since, ah, high school...I think)LOL.Keep working everyone! You too can have a small a**.Phil
Cute butt...gotta like it!
2010-01-13 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2611925

User image

Expert
Canada
SAWFISH50 - 2010-01-13 2:24 PMDo we need Tri shorts or can you do the whole race in bike shorts with the thin Gel pad?  Oh and one other question.  My bike has old Shimano pedals that are mountain bike size clips will I have to buy a Mountain bike shoe or will any of them work? And What is a TRI shoe how does it differ from a regular road bike shoe or mountain bike shoe?  Thanks
Shorts...I have both. Tri shorts are easier to run in. All that being said, I do spin class for 75 mins in bike shorts & will run 5-10 on dreadmill after with no problem. The extra padding make no real difference to me. For a sprint, I suspect it will not make a difference. the unknown os the swim...If the chamois gets soaked, the Tri shorts dry much quicker. The bike shorts will not dry. If you swim in the shorts, tri might be better. If you do a du or have a wetsuit, might not matter.

The clips are interchangeable. My road shoes have Shamino clips. My spin class have MTB clips, So I took off the Shimano clips & bought MTB & put them on. The clips are about 10 bucks. You can interchange them. You don't need several pairs of shoes. I would buy whatever you wish, Tri vs road vs MTB & ask your LBS to get you MTB clips. When the spring arrives again, I will remove the MTB clips & reinstall the Shimanos.

As far as the shoes, Tri shoes are quicker to put on. The can be clipped on bike & if you are so inclined (and skilled enough) can get out of the water, run barefoot with your bike, out of T1, hop on & put your feet into shoes & velcro in, while pedaling. Well proven to be the quickest T1 method. The pros tend to do this. Road shoes, have rachets, which would be much more difficult to put on on the bike. You would put them on at T1 & the clip in. MTB shoe can be walked in, the others would not be.

Hope this helps.

R

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-01-13 3:45 PM

2010-01-13 5:13 PM

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
Interesting info on the bike shorts guys.  I am there now.  I have a "older" pair of bike shorts that I am wearing when I ride but i am needing something else.  I am going to be doing the HIM so I need something comfy.  Chance are, I will be around 210 pounds when I do the tri.  Its actually a good weight for me.   I am trying to find out what saddle/short combo I need to get.  I can not run in the bike shorts I have now either.  No way

I got home from work today around 3:30 and got in a 3 mile run in the park near my home. I did a "run 3 mins, walk 1" ratio.   Anyone else ever trained this way?  I can run about 6 miles right now without stopping but I read a decent article on "marathon training" and the guys swears by this method for training.  I can run around a 10 min mile right now up to 5 miles or so.  The walk/run deal only added about 20 seconds to each mile.   Very interesting.  

I tried to add my "goals" to my profile/training log but for some reason, I can not find where to add it.  Any help there.  Am I just missing it?

My goals are very simple for my HIM in May.  JUST FINISH IN TIME.  That is is.  I could probably set some goals for my biking but the running and swim will be JUST FINISH.....

2010-01-13 9:19 PM

User image

Regular
I read "Marithons for Mortals"   and they have Run walk programs in that book and I used that meathod some to get back into it. Run 3 minutes walk 2 then later it has you running 4 minutes and walking 1.   I blieve the first person to put this training meathod on the street was Galloway.   I have not been able to find his book but from what I understand he has his runners walk for a minuit or Two every aid station on a marathon.  The guy that lives across the street from me has ran several marathons and said once he droped his ego enough to do it he set a PR in a marathon using this meathod.  So I Know it will work.  I was also a bit suprised when I Run/walk a given distance there is very little differance in my total time to complete the distance compared to running it the whole way. (Well at least for my slow @$$ ther isnt LOL!!)

As far as the Goals in your Log goes I have not tried that so someone else will have to answer that one.  
2010-01-14 4:54 AM

User image

Expert
Canada
The Running Room, a canadian running store chain, promotes 10:1's for all of its long runs.  For most non-elite runners there is not much difference in time.  I run with their groups Sunday mornings & this method is practised.  

It does allow you to recoup. 

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-01-14 4:55 AM
2010-01-14 7:39 AM
in reply to: #2612948

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
SAWFISH50 - 2010-01-13 9:19 PMI read "Marithons for Mortals"   and they have Run walk programs in that book and I used that meathod some to get back into it. Run 3 minutes walk 2 then later it has you running 4 minutes and walking 1.   I blieve the first person to put this training meathod on the street was Galloway.   I have not been able to find his book but from what I understand he has his runners walk for a minuit or Two every aid station on a marathon.  The guy that lives across the street from me has ran several marathons and said once he droped his ego enough to do it he set a PR in a marathon using this meathod.  So I Know it will work.  I was also a bit suprised when I Run/walk a given distance there is very little differance in my total time to complete the distance compared to running it the whole way. (Well at least for my slow @$$ ther isnt LOL!!)

As far as the Goals in your Log goes I have not tried that so someone else will have to answer that one.  
Yes Sawfish, you are correct. I got this info and schedule from here

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html

Going to be nice here in North Ga today so my plans are for a 25-35 mile bike ride this afternoon. Hopefully. You guys have a good day,.

Edited by LanierSpots 2010-01-14 7:40 AM

2010-01-14 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Got a good swim/run in this morning. Got my a** kicked by a former NCAA D1 swimmer too...and it was a female, so there goes the old ego...(of which I have none left, sorta like my hair)

2200m in the pool followed by a 3 mile track run. Felt good. Blew off yesterday morning as I was just way too tired.

So, to put my two cents in:

-  Tri shorts are designed to be effective for the three specialities. The padding is usually a thin gel, so no water logging and they are fairly comfortable..I wouldn't do a tri in traditional bike shorts as there's just too much padding...but if it's thin, give it a shot.  Train in them and do some bricks and if you don't chafe up or feel poorly otherwise, I'm sure you are fine.

- Bike clips are a personal preference...I used SPD (and still do on my spin shoes) but changed to LOOK's last year as they just felt better to me and I can get more power from them. (or so I think)  Shoes, I have traditional 3 strap bike shoes I save for spin class or long rides...and a pair of Tri (one strap) shoes for race day and when brick training. I swap the cleats back and forth if need be. It's a bit of a pain but it gets the job done.

Train well and safe everyone!

Phil

2010-01-14 12:11 PM

User image

Regular
I got a pair of MTB shoes at the Bike store when I picked up the bike last night. Haven't got shorts yet. Here is a pic of the shoes I got they are Specialized brand.  I can get them on and off pretty quick just undoing the top velcro strap. 

2010-01-14 12:48 PM

I know this is a bit off subject, but I just had to share this experience.  So my GF started working out with me about a month ago and I have been doing it about 2 months and SLOWWLY, but surely, the weight is coming off (1 lb a week or so).  Recently though, I have been paying closer attention to calories and how much I take in vs. Metabolic rate and calories burned during exercise.

Anyway, my GF and I were chatting last night and I was saying that, in a weird way, I was happy that the weight wasn't just falling off fast.  The reason for that is because I have to work for it, it doesn't come easily, which forces me to really monitor myself in the way I eat.  It also is a great motivator to get out of bed knowing that if I don't, I will fall off track with my training schedule and not burn ANY calories that day.

The reason I bring this up is because today, my team at work won a Pizza Day and it arrived at noon.  Normally, I would have been the guy to have about 5 slices during a day like today.  But today was a new day for me, when the pizza arrived, I was not excited.  I was too busy calculating calories and whether or not it will fit in my calorie limits and taking into account my workout from the morning, etc etc.  Well, the typicals on my team divulged with 3 trips to the pizza buffet.  I was able to hold back, limit myself to two little pizza squares (600 total calories) and walk away still feeling good.

I just wanted to share a personal victory for me because this is the first time in years I outsmarted my stomach.
2010-01-14 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2613315

Extreme Veteran
You didn't say - did she like your butt?

pastoops - 2010-01-14 9:06 AM Got a good swim/run in this morning. Got my a** kicked by a former NCAA D1 swimmer too...and it was a female, so there goes the old ego...(of which I have none left, sorta like my hair)

<<snip>>

Phil
2010-01-14 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2614163

User image

Regular
brentrolf - 2010-01-14 12:48 PM I know this is a bit off subject, but I just had to share this experience.  So my GF started working out with me about a month ago and I have been doing it about 2 months and SLOWWLY, but surely, the weight is coming off (1 lb a week or so).  Recently though, I have been paying closer attention to calories and how much I take in vs. Metabolic rate and calories burned during exercise.

Anyway, my GF and I were chatting last night and I was saying that, in a weird way, I was happy that the weight wasn't just falling off fast.  The reason for that is because I have to work for it, it doesn't come easily, which forces me to really monitor myself in the way I eat.  It also is a great motivator to get out of bed knowing that if I don't, I will fall off track with my training schedule and not burn ANY calories that day.

The reason I bring this up is because today, my team at work won a Pizza Day and it arrived at noon.  Normally, I would have been the guy to have about 5 slices during a day like today.  But today was a new day for me, when the pizza arrived, I was not excited.  I was too busy calculating calories and whether or not it will fit in my calorie limits and taking into account my workout from the morning, etc etc.  Well, the typicals on my team divulged with 3 trips to the pizza buffet.  I was able to hold back, limit myself to two little pizza squares (600 total calories) and walk away still feeling good.

I just wanted to share a personal victory for me because this is the first time in years I outsmarted my stomach.

Great Job Man!!  I, like you have to really work for every pound I loose & you are correct it does make me much more comited to my meal plan and my workouts. I always feel like if I miss a workout or eat a bunch of crap I'll loose ground.  I do allow once a week to splurge a bit if nessissary Like you did with 2 pices of Pizza.  last weekend My son and I went to the MONSTER JAM.  I had one of them big @ss pretzils and some popcorn but best I can tell It didnt affect my progress at all.

Keep it up bud youll get there great job!!
2010-01-14 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2614188

User image

Regular
bwingate - 2010-01-14 12:58 PM You didn't say - did she like your butt?

pastoops - 2010-01-14 9:06 AM Got a good swim/run in this morning. Got my a** kicked by a former NCAA D1 swimmer too...and it was a female, so there goes the old ego...(of which I have none left, sorta like my hair)

<>

Phil

Sounds like she was too busy kicking it to admire it Cool

2010-01-14 4:40 PM

hi all its been a while since I last posted ive been working away for a few weeks but now im home with no more trips planned so im hoping to get some training in im starting the 16 week olympic program so lets see what happens also happy new year to all i hope u all had a good one.   Karl
2010-01-14 5:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Hi Phil, thanks for letting me join the group.  All has been well.  I've been training like a mad man since last week of December 2009 and everything has been great.  I asked to join the group and was all motivated you said yes.  I've been loging my training, my nutrition and everything has been going wonderful.  Last week my 5-year-old daughter had a 103.7 fever and I now believe I have what she had.  I just didn't feel right last week but kept on training, thought I could push through this.  Anyway I woke up early Tuesday with a high fever, felt like I crashed on a 40mph decent on the bike. Suppose to run in a 5k Saturday morning, we'll see.  I'm doing my first sprint tri on March 21st in Tucson.  Aren't kids amazing?  Before my daughter temp hit 103.7, it was near 102 or so  she was like "Daddy lets go swimming then ride bikes then go play tennis."  That blows my mind.  My fever is 102.1 and I can hardly answer the phon, or type.  I'm hittin' it.  Write again tomorrow, and I pray this crap goes away soon.  I hate not being able to train, it helps my brain chemistry as well as my physical fitness.
Scott
2010-01-14 7:54 PM
in reply to: #2614722

User image

Regular
Dont Train until your fever goes away make sure your taking vitamins and stay hydrated. Let it pass you wont loose much if any ground but it you persist it may take you longer to get over that crap.  Best of luck buddy I hope it passes and you can do your 5K.
2010-01-14 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2614163

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
brentrolf - 2010-01-14 1:48 PMI know this is a bit off subject, but I just had to share this experience.  So my GF started working out with me about a month ago and I have been doing it about 2 months and SLOWWLY, but surely, the weight is coming off (1 lb a week or so).  Recently though, I have been paying closer attention to calories and how much I take in vs. Metabolic rate and calories burned during exercise.

AWESOME! A little discipline sure goes a long way....and the good news is that once you have been able to control this it only gets easier...nice work!
2010-01-14 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2614652

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Karl1965 - 2010-01-14 5:40 PMhi all its been a while since I last posted ive been working away for a few weeks but now im home with no more trips planned so im hoping to get some training in im starting the 16 week olympic program so lets see what happens also happy new year to all i hope u all had a good one.   Karl
Karl, WELCOME BACK!!

2010-01-14 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2614955

User image

Brentrolf - WAY TO GO!!! Those food battles are way harder for me too. I say announce every victory! Like for instance...this lovely woman at my church made me a 3-layer, made from scratch red velvet cake with cream cheese icing for my birthday on Tuesday.....I immediately cut it in half and sent it with my husband to a meeting. I had one piece every day (with my husband and kids munching on it also), invited a friend over and shared some with her....and now it's gone...finally!  You may be thinking "one piece every day?! PIGGY!!!"  But 6 mos ago I would have REFUSED to send it with my husband and ate that thing for breakfast, lunch, dinner AND snacks...lol.  Needless to say, I was pretty proud of myself. So I say, celebrate the food victories right along with the training victories...they go hand in hand Laughing
2010-01-15 6:39 AM
in reply to: #2614993

Extreme Veteran

Got a run in this morning.  It was supposed to be 31F this morning, but it felt a lot colder.  It was still pretty nice.  For some odd reason getting in the cold crisp air feels really nice (after the first 10 minutes or so.)  My wife seems to be enjoying the new task that I've given her:  Making sure I'm out of bed and ready to run when she gets up for work.  She's enjoying it a little too much if you ask me.

2010-01-15 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2614922

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Cool, thanks William.  Being sick SUCKS!!!!  I haven't felt like this in a long time, probably since the Corps.  Thanks for sharing, I am feeling better.  I registered for the 5K like six weeks ago, I'm showing up even if I have to walk.
Semper Fi!
Scott
2010-01-15 1:33 PM
in reply to: #2616104

User image

Regular
LOL!!! Hard to stop a Jarhead isn't it.  Hope it goes well. Just do what they always did to us in the Marines take Motrin for EVERYTHING LOL!!! 

Best of Luck

Simper Fi
William
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010! Rss Feed  

of 35