BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cayrip's and AbbieR's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2010-01-18 12:42 AM
in reply to: #2574061

User image

Hong Kong
Subject: RE: cayrip's and AbbieR's Mentor Group - Closed
Btw, thanks to all of you for your comments about my first Half Marathon...

After finishing it, I have discovered that I must work very hard to be ready in 60 days for my HIM!!!! is just one letter more "I"  but much more than that!

Keep training..."Where is the limit?" !!

Btw, one question, I need to buy one wetsuit...yes unbelievable for Hong Kong ...but is cold in the water...which model: long sleeves, short sleeves, Orca or BlueSeventy?

"XTB" Xavi.

2010-01-18 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2619147

User image

Expert

Btw, one question, I need to buy one wetsuit...yes unbelievable for Hong Kong ...but is cold in the water...which model: long sleeves, short sleeves, Orca or BlueSeventy?

"XTB" Xavi.

I can't help you here but I am interested in everyone's responses as I am in the market for a wetsuit this spring too.

2010-01-18 3:31 PM

I am looking at indoor trainers for the bike. What is the difference between a magnetic trainer and fluid? Is it worth paying the extra money to get the fluid trainer. In addition which trainers are the quietest?

Thanks for your help.
2010-01-18 4:50 PM

User image

Fluid trainers are smoother, less heat build up.  I really like me Kurt Kinnetics rock and roll trainer.  Their is no shaft to build heat so resistance remains constant.  You have the feel of needing to maintain balance and efficiency.
2010-01-18 5:54 PM

User image

Xavi - terrific job with your HM debut - honestly, I am in awe that you could travel and then run so well.

I have a Kurt Kinetic road machine.  Just got it and I really like it.  Very quiet (well, I don't have any other trainer experience so I can't compare, but it seems quiet to me) and easy to deal with.  It is the less expensive model compared to the rock n roll (which is very cool btw).

Thanks for the goggle advice - I think I just have to go try a bunch on.

Cat

2010-01-18 6:47 PM

User image

Expert

I ride a cyclops magnetic and my brother and friend ride thier fluid version.  There really isn't a noticable sound difference between the two.  They both also have a warm-up period during which the resistance is higher.  After ten minutes you can feel the trainer warm-up and it becomes more roadlike.  The sensation is very slight but if you are paying attention, there is a difference.

With trainers you get what you pay for.  Going cheap here means more noise and less road like feeling.  I don't think brand makes that much difference though as the mechanics of fluids and magnetics really don't change that much between brands.  Go to a store such as REI where the staff should be trained to tell you the differences in the models they sell.  I like REI because if your purchase doesn't meet your expectations, they will take it back--no questions asked.  I'm sure good local bike shops have the same policy as customers are very valuable to them.

Ask if you can ride the trainer for 10 minutes or so before you buy it to see if you like it and to get through the warm-up period.  If they say no...walk out and go somewhere else.  If you can't try it in the store, then it is my opinion that the store doesn't need your business especially if you are going to drop $300 for a trainer.

2010-01-18 11:44 PM
in reply to: #2618304

User image

Any ideas on pilates: is it benefictal and if so any suggests on 'type'?

Should I split the two exercises to am and then pm or do them one after the other?
2010-01-18 11:51 PM
in reply to: #2620545

thanks guys
2010-01-19 6:16 AM

User image

I have a swim workout question.  I'm following the BT beginner HIM program - it doesn' officially start for me until Feb. 7, but I'm doing the first 4 weeks of base now and will just start at the beginning again whent the time comes, with a few changes.  I'm following it pretty closely and my only modifications are that I am adding 30-40 extra minutes to the long run and I have to do most of the doubles as bricks, because while I can work out for 90 minutes or so at a time in the am, I can' t work out a second time in the pm. 

Yesterday's swim workout was for speed and it called for a main set of 20x50.  As a runner, I would never go and do 20 x 100 on the track as training for a half marathon - that sort of speedwork would just be silly for an endurance event of that sort (I am sure that some runner somewhere would benefit, but it really wouldn't be a very useful workout - maybe 800's or even some 400's).  So, can someone please explain to me why it is a useful exercise in the pool?  Are there different physiological mechanisms at work that I don't get when it comes to swim training? 
2010-01-19 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2620962

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
I have a magnetic trainier, and I have no complaints.  It's super quiet.

jtdintaipei - 2010-01-19 12:44 AM Any ideas on pilates: is it benefictal and if so any suggests on 'type'? Should I split the two exercises to am and then pm or do them one after the other?

Pilates is helping me with core strength.  I had really strong legs and arms, but kept getting back injuries.  I never had a strong core, and Pilates is definitely helping me with that.  I take a class at my YMCA that combines mat and ball work.  My class in MWF at 5:30 am, and I have no issues working out afterwards.  Due to time constraints, I usually end up getting a shorter swim or 2-3 miles on the treadmill afterwards.  I've done a 2 hour run afterwards with no issues.
2010-01-19 12:38 PM
in reply to: #2621048

User image

Catalana, I am NOT an expert on this, so I don't have any type of technical answer for you, but I can tell you from experience, that the 50 yd sprints have indeed added to my swimming endurance.  Having a running background, I had the same question, but have followed my training schedule as written, and the long endurance swims have become easier and faster due to the shorter training sprints.

So this is how I've explained it to myself...in running 100 meters is only 0.477% of the total half marathon distance.  But in swimming 50 yds is about 2.45% of the total swim distance (for a HIM).  So, based solely on the ratios, the 50 yd sprints in swimming would equate to a running sprint of 513 meters, which makes much more sense....although, for me 800's are the shortest training intervals I do for distance running.

Like I said, it's not very technical, and maybe it's way off, but I think the ratio thing as well as the fact that swimming uses completely different muscles (smaller muscles) are the reasons.

2010-01-19 1:27 PM
in reply to: #2621982

CO
I'm not an expert either.

And wouldn't swimming have another multiplier for it since it is just so much more work than running/biking (just thinking about the calories burnt per unit of time)?
2010-01-19 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2620962

CO
jtdintaipei - 2010-01-18 10:44 PM Any ideas on pilates: is it benefictal and if so any suggests on 'type'? Should I split the two exercises to am and then pm or do them one after the other?

I like the pilates classes that get you sweating and cram a lot of moves in.

After my hour pilates classes, my legs, especially hips and IB are quite worked, so I only do a bike ride later in the day.  I'm afraid to run after in case I get an overuse injury.

There's a DVD "10 minute pilates" that is not too bad for an exercise dvd.
2010-01-19 2:46 PM

User image

2010-01-19 2:47 PM

User image

I have to ask a rookie question.  My tri training schedule sometimes calls for 500 sw, 400 pull, 300 kick, 200 sw, 100 pull.   I don't know the difference between sw, pull, and kick.  I mean, I have a guess, but can anyone help me with exactly what those mean?

2010-01-19 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2621982

User image

clewis38 - 2010-01-19 12:38 PM Catalana, I am NOT an expert on this, so I don't have any type of technical answer for you, but I can tell you from experience, that the 50 yd sprints have indeed added to my swimming endurance.  Having a running background, I had the same question, but have followed my training schedule as written, and the long endurance swims have become easier and faster due to the shorter training sprints.

So this is how I've explained it to myself...in running 100 meters is only 0.477% of the total half marathon distance.  But in swimming 50 yds is about 2.45% of the total swim distance (for a HIM).  So, based solely on the ratios, the 50 yd sprints in swimming would equate to a running sprint of 513 meters, which makes much more sense....although, for me 800's are the shortest training intervals I do for distance running.

Like I said, it's not very technical, and maybe it's way off, but I think the ratio thing as well as the fact that swimming uses completely different muscles (smaller muscles) are the reasons.

Thanks, this does help, even if it just justifies it for me and makes me follow the workouts.  I will proceed to follow the plan as written Innocent

Cat

2010-01-19 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2622452

User image

Expert

clewis38 - 2010-01-19 1:47 PM

I have to ask a rookie question.  My tri training schedule sometimes calls for 500 sw, 400 pull, 300 kick, 200 sw, 100 pull.   I don't know the difference between sw, pull, and kick.  I mean, I have a guess, but can anyone help me with exactly what those mean?

Without looking at the legend for your swim workouts I'm guessing the

sw = swim.  This could mean freestyle of swim whatever stroke you want depending on the source. 

Pull means that you only use your arms.  Typically people hold a small bouy between their legs and don't kick at all.  Some people even use paddles on their hands to really emphasis upper body work.

Kick means no arms and just legs.  You can use a board to keep your hands floating or do these the hard way with no floatation device.  As with the pull you can add fins to make the workout more pronouced on your legs.

I hope this helps.

2010-01-19 7:08 PM
in reply to: #2619583

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
cayrip - 2010-01-18 9:45 AM

"XTB" Xavi.

I can't help you here but I am interested in everyone's responses as I am in the market for a wetsuit this spring too.

XTB and Cayrip,

As with bikes the right answer to your question is, "the suit that fits you the best."  As far as full vs. john, I went with the full this year.  I've always worn a short john, but with a full IM swim I'm convinced the extra bouyancy and reduced drag of the sleeves will save me a great deal of energy.

That said, I just bought a Rocket Science Elite wetsuit.  This is the first suit I've owned with full arms & legs.  My biggest concern was freedom of movement in my arms as I've got big shoulders and I was afraid I'd feel constricted.  The Rocket Science fit the bill perfectly for me as freedom of movement is one of it's key design criteria.  Check them out at www.rocketsciencesports.com.

2010-01-19 11:55 PM

User image

New bike! (new to me anyways)

I'm using the wheelset from my road bike and need to get degreaser/tools to put the chain on/algin the drivetrain.

Edited by Cozmo 2010-01-19 11:56 PM

(Orbea (1 of 1).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Orbea (1 of 1).jpg (96KB - 10 downloads)
2010-01-20 12:26 AM
in reply to: #2622449

User image

Man I am behind I didn't notice that massive topic in Tri Talk. Oops.

Also... I got "Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life" in the mail today. Looks really good! http://www.amazon.com/Thrive-Nutrition-Optimal-Performance-Sports/dp/0738212547
2010-01-20 2:22 AM

User image

Hong Kong
Cozmo, great bike!

Thanks to all for your comments about wetsuit and training bike!! very useful!!

Btw, yesterday, I registered myself into NYC Marathon lottery....over 520.000!!!!

Let's see if I am lucky and can get in....
 New York Road Runners
ING New York City Marathon Update

Dear XAVIER GARCIA,

We have received your application for the ING New York City Marathon 2010.

Your entry number is 519575. Please include this number and your name in any correspondence pertaining to the marathon. To check your status, or to update/change your personal information, click here and enter the username and password that you created within the application.

The lottery for all applicants will be held in mid-March. We will e-mail entrants and process their fees upon acceptance.

For more information about the ING New York City Marathon, please visit ingnycmarathon.org.

Click here to book travel and hotels with the official travel agency of the ING New York City Marathon.

Click here to view opportunities for guaranteed entry into the ING New York City Marathon 2010 by running for charity.

ING New York City Marathon Sponsors: 4 New York, ASICS, Foot Locker, Continental Airlines, The Rudin Family, THe New York Times, and Timex

To join NYRR, or renew your membership, visit nyrr.org/membership. As always, we welcome your input about all NYRR programs; please see nyrr.org/contactus for contact information.
Copyright ©2010 New York Road Runners, 9 East 89th Street, New York, NY 10128

New York Road Runners
ING New York City Marathon Update

Dear XAVIER GARCIA,

We have received your application for the ING New York City Marathon 2010.

Your entry number is 519575. Please include this number and your name in any correspondence pertaining to the marathon. To check your status, or to update/change your personal information, click here and enter the username and password that you created within the application.

The lottery for all applicants will be held in mid-March. We will e-mail entrants and process their fees upon acceptance.

For more information about the ING New York City Marathon, please visit ingnycmarathon.org.

Click here to book travel and hotels with the official travel agency of the ING New York City Marathon.

Click here to view opportunities for guaranteed entry into the ING New York City Marathon 2010 by running for charity.

ING New York City Marathon Sponsors: 4 New York, ASICS, Foot Locker, Continental Airlines, The Rudin Family, THe New York Times, and Timex

To join NYRR, or renew your membership, visit nyrr.org/membership. As always, we welcome your input about all NYRR programs; please see nyrr.org/contactus for contact information.
Copyright ©2010 New York Road Runners, 9 East 89th Street, New York, NY 10128

"XTB" Xavi.

2010-01-20 7:03 AM
in reply to: #2623328

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
Cozmo - 2010-01-20 12:55 AM New bike! (new to me anyways)

I'm using the wheelset from my road bike and need to get degreaser/tools to put the chain on/algin the drivetrain.
Congrats!!!  Nice bike! 
2010-01-20 11:24 AM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
100 days till IM St. George.
2010-01-20 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2624161

User image

Expert

garryowen96 - 2010-01-20 10:24 AM 100 days till IM St. George.

I can't think of anything to say....only 100 days.  Mentally I'm ready, physically no way...it would be a long day but I shouldn't be ready yet.

2010-01-20 6:57 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Xavi-  Cool in the NYC Mary lottery.  It look me 3 years ot get in via the lottery system.  I wound up getting in 2002.  I ran with a disposable camera in my Fuel Belt pocket and took pics all along the way!  At one point I ever stopped to take a pic with 8-10 NYC Firemen, soooooo much fun!  Good luck!

Cozmo: SWEEEEEET Bike!!!!

As for westuits, yes, whatever fits you best.  Note that if you drop weight/change in body comp.....that may put you in the market for another wetsuit.  I have a sleeveless that I really need to sell.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cayrip's and AbbieR's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 18