BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri for fun - Full up, closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-01-22 2:14 AM
in reply to: #2628178

User image

Regular
Binghamton
Subject: RE: Tri for fun - Full up, closed
Welcome Jonathan!

Glad to hear your are motivated and ready to get going!  I have never been a runner nor swimmer nor serious biker, but i am loving the training!  I plan to do my first tri -a  sprint in April and I too would like to do an Oly this year!

One  different note, my wife just got a job with Carmichael Training Systems and will be working closely with Chris Carmichael.  It is pretty cool...she has already gotten some good pointers for me!

hopefully i can sneak into some of their training classes!

2010-01-22 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2587664

User image

frozen north till Spring
welcome david!
2010-01-22 9:55 AM

User image

frozen north till Spring
well just got back from a 4 mile run it was nice 20 degrees no wind perfect morning, with one problem my ITB flared up at mile 3.4 and i had to walk the last 1/2 mile

really frustrating, been battling this and the piriformis issue in that leg since last september

went to therapy in december and everything felt great maybe i just didn't do enough warm up before i left this morning???
2010-01-22 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2628719

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN

I use to have a lot of issues with my calf muscles that kept me injuried for weeks at a time.  I started doing Yoga or some form of stretching once a week and it has made all the difference in the world.  I would suggest adding some form of stretching to your routine.  IT Band injuries tend to linger on forever. 

2010-01-22 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
I have a couple of ideas for it band issues that have worked for me in the past. Usually I have been able to change IT issues by doing some run walking as I start out training. Walk a 1/2mile, run 1/2 mile etc.Honestly this was really good for the IT band but hard mentally. Also try putting a ring of tape just under your knee cap. Sounds weird but your IT band actually starts at your hip andruns down past your knee. Somehow this band supports the lower attachment point and helps it adjust to the new stress. The main thing is if it hurts then slow down the introduction of new stress. Also have you gotten fitted for running shoes? This can help too.
2010-01-22 10:54 AM

User image

frozen north till Spring
Thanks for the info I'm gonna try the walk and runI do have new shoes but the are trail runners I need to get some regular running shoesI ran all last spring and summer in trail runners I have an IT strap that wraps above the knee and used the foam roller as soon as I got home to stretch it outI have spme stretches the gave me when I was going to PT

2010-01-22 6:22 PM

Regular
Hi all,
Sorry to be MIA, I'm still here and reading posts, but don't have much success yet to report in terms of figuring out a training schedule and sticking to it. I hope I'll find a pocket of time this weekend to do some planning and some exercising!

Short term plan is to go out with my husband tomorrow night for some running, or x-country skiing. Sunday I work all day, but can maybe get a trainer ride in if I get my bike set up tomorrow night. Then on Monday, I will try my hardest to go to the pool near my class.

Race wise, I'm trying to decide on some affordable races. There are two race series' in VT that is inexpensive and very well run, but about a 3 hour drive. I would like to try my hand at an International or Olympic distance and have a few choices for that. But in the meantime, I would like to get faster in my sprint times, and just sort of get my feet wet with the Olympic. I'm also in a relay for the Rev3 in CT, I think I'm doing the half iron bike leg, I need to check on that pronto, since that is about 16 weeks away, and if I'm running, I have a lot more work to get started on! The last I knew I was supposed to be doing the bike leg, and my husband might be doing the run - his first half marathon ever. On the subject of half marathon's, I would like to do another early fall half marathon, and hopefully go sub 2. Last summer I was sick with the flu and lost my focus on my training, but ran one and got a 2:04, so I know with proper training it should definitely be attainable.

All right, kids are getting impatient with me.
Have a great weekend.
2010-01-22 8:26 PM

Hey David...welcome

And glad to hear from you Suzanne -- I definitely understand the whole mommy juggle thing although I am grateful to be beyond those years, now(teens instead...hmmm) .

We are closing in on the end of January soon...which means.....BETTER WEATHER is coming...hang in there.

Everyone is doing such a great job on workouts...long or short, fast or slow...it doesn't matter...cause we all know that getting off the couch is the hardest part. Keep up the excellent work, team

I feel badly saying it, but today it was 12 degrees C and sunny...I am sorry to say that for all of you who are still snowed in...I say it mainly because we are set to have the umm....WINTER olympics in 3 weeks and we are getting spring, complete with robins and crocusses(sp?). Wow...should be interesting....
2010-01-23 12:55 AM

so, team! 

We are all on the couch watching something, can't even remember what and someone notices our local police car-stopping in front of our neighbors house with all of the lights on.  He comes up to our door pounds very loudly and tells us we have a chimney fire.  We get the kids all bundled up and exit the house.  Two firetrucks come, ambulance and sheriff!  We are a small town of 1,000 people-so they probably all know by now!  Anyway, I am thankful our neighbor noticed flames coming out the chimney-much better than waking up to the house on fire! 

The basement is covered with the foam they shot through the chimney.  Thankfully, it is not finished, just a cement floor.

contemplating skipping my swim class tomorrow. 

The fire alarms work, but don't know if I will sleep much tonight!

Nichi

p.s.  I ran tonight.  seems weird, but I can run so much faster without my gloves on-ha, ha, just kidding!  I had to hurdle all the slush, which really slowed my time down!
2010-01-23 6:09 PM

Hi Nicki:
Whoa...that is a scary thought!! Isn't it funny how life works...if the neighbour had not been home...if it had been in the middle of the night..if, if...makes you totally appreciate life.

The older I get, the more close calls I seem to see around me...perhaps I just notice them more...

Glad you are fine!!!!
2010-01-23 6:15 PM

User image

frozen north till Spring
Hey glad you and your family are ok!

2010-01-24 5:10 PM

User image

Regular
Binghamton
Did a 6 mile run today...never thought it would be so easy!  Granted it was slow but I am shocked i did it!
2010-01-24 7:32 PM

Good job on training today!!
2010-01-25 3:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
I have a swimming question. 

I notice that a lot of swimming workouts involve "Swim Sets" such as 4 x 100 at a given time but I don't see many workouts where swimmers do an endurance swim.  If you do an endurance swim, how often should these be done? 
2010-01-25 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2632608

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
jslacker - 2010-01-25 1:08 AM

I have a swimming question. 

I notice that a lot of swimming workouts involve "Swim Sets" such as 4 x 100 at a given time but I don't see many workouts where swimmers do an endurance swim.  If you do an endurance swim, how often should these be done? 

Think of your endurance swims the same way you think of endurance runs. Once a week long, once every other week should push your limits of what long is. Hope that helps.
2010-01-25 4:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Well at this point we have talked about what our goals are, how much time we have to train,what ourtentative race schedule is along with A races etc. Does anyone have any specific training questions??? What to do when or how or if??? How is everyone feeling about training thus far, frustrated, happy, burned out, pleased, encouraged????? What else do you want or need from this group to help you out??

2010-01-25 7:15 PM
in reply to: #2630886

mdslngr - 2010-01-23 6:15 PM Hey glad you and your family are ok!

Thanks!  
2010-01-25 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2634018

To answer the question, I am pleased, but my body is tired!  I will have put in 100 miles running when this week is through in addition to taking a swim class and getting some biking in, too this month.  I am seriously considering Jeff Galloway's program for the running.  It is 2 30 minute sessions of running per week and 1 long run.  I have been running six days a week and my knee hurt today even though I didn't run yesterday or today. 

Running is awesome, but I don't have the time to do the amount that I am doing in addition to getting some swimming and biking in.  So, next week I am changing the schedule.  Also, to help with gettting up in the morning, I am going to the wellness center in the morning and taking one of my older children with me.  That way, we are both up and when we get back we can get right into the schoolwork.  They get some one on one time with me and I am up!  What I have been doing hasn't been working, so thought I would try something different.  

A different child is going with me every morning and their dad is with the others at home; it is only about 30 minutes once he leaves, before I get home. 

I am extremely excited about my improvements in swimming!  I can now do a 100 in 2:20!  I know that still might sound slow, but for me it is fast!

Exercising a lot has made the month of January go by quickly.  Plus, my husband is now exercising every day over his lunch hour! 

Overall, I am very encouraged and have realized that doing 3 challenges at once is pushing it!

It is nice to know that we can check in with each other on our progress. 

Nichi
p.s.  I am having a second mammagram on Thursday-would appreciate prayers.  Thanks!

2010-01-25 7:46 PM
in reply to: #2634278

Question:I am realizing that my knee pain may be related to the bike, rather than the running.  What should I do differently on the bike to prevent knee pain?

The last two times I have biked-knee pain has followed.  May just be general overuse...
not really my knee, but behind my knee.

Thanks for any ideas.

Nichi
2010-01-25 10:36 PM
in reply to: #2634291

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
nichip - 2010-01-25  5:46 PMQuestion:I am realizing that my knee pain may be related to the bike, rather than the running.  What should I do differently on the bike to prevent knee pain?

The last two times I have biked-knee pain has followed.  May just be general overuse...

Thanks for any ideas.

Nichi
Have you had your bike with shoes fitted to you? Another thing that it could be is a little technique. How much biking have you done?
2010-01-26 7:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
I am pretty happy with where I am so far but I have to admit, my legs are feeling it.  My swimming is finally coming along and this is the one sport that has prevented me from doing anything longer than a sprint in the past.  So I am hopeful that this is the year for the HIM. 

2010-01-26 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2634497

holt1997 - 2010-01-25 10:36 PM
nichip - 2010-01-25  5:46 PMQuestion:I am realizing that my knee pain may be related to the bike, rather than the running.  What should I do differently on the bike to prevent knee pain?

Thanks for any ideas.

Nichi
Have you had your bike with shoes fitted to you? Another thing that it could be is a little technique. How much biking have you done?

I didn't have any trouble with knees last summer.  I just use my running shoes and am using a bike at the wellness center.  I have not had my bike fitted to me.  I haven't done a lot of biking.  Last summer I probably did 16 miles as my longest ride(my race was only 10).  I use a mountain bike with slicks.  Does this info give you any ideas?  My 3 year old's head happened to collide(slam into was more like it!) with my OTHER knee this morning-so I might be on the injured list....

Nichi
p.s. probably won't be able to bike outside until April.
2010-01-26 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2635160

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
nichip - 2010-01-26 8:40 AM

holt1997 - 2010-01-25 10:36 PM

Thanks for any ideas.

Nichi

I didn't have any trouble with knees last summer.  I just use my running shoes and am using a bike at the wellness center.  I have not had my bike fitted to me.  I haven't done a lot of biking.  Last summer I probably did 16 miles as my longest ride(my race was only 10).  I use a mountain bike with slicks.  Does this info give you any ideas?  My 3 year old's head happened to collide(slam into was more like it!) with my OTHER knee this morning-so I might be on the injured list....

Nichi
p.s. probably won't be able to bike outside until April.

Well if you want one thing you can try is to decrease your work load when you pedal and concentrate on rpm. Try to keep a cadence in the 90 range but keep the level of difficulty down. This will allow muscles to climatize without the stress of load. Then gradually load back up as you feel able. All the while though keeping your rpm up. This should help in a small way, make you better on the bike andalso help with your knee prob.
2010-01-26 12:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hello group,
For everyone - Two little bits of advice that I got and would like to pass on:

1) If you can, get yourself to a gym and go through an easy full body workout.This will help you find any areas of weakness that will turn into injuries later. For me, my core and hamstrings are my weak areas. I have started going to the gym and these are two areas I hit and monitor regularly. I know it will pay off later.

2) Whenever affordable and possible get fitted for everything. Wetsuits, running shoes, bike shoes, bike itself etc. It all is really important and will make the difference between injury and also having fun and enjoying yourself. Obviously these are not cheap but maybe just chunk off one thing at a time. Running shoes seem the most beneficial but ince ytou find one that works your set.

Hope that helps. Have a great morning everyone.
2010-01-26 3:00 PM

I totally agree with the fitting.

I had a really great lady who brought a huge bin of wetsuits to the pool and taught me the correct way of putting them on, etc. Funny...up till that point, I had thought it was my swimming that was a problem in open water, even though I loved lake swimming. When I put some of the wetsuits on, I had what felt like an attack of claustrophobia and could not catch my breath. It was the suit....NOT me!! We found a two piece one that I love....there is no pulling, no neck constriction or pinching...it was the same price as other suits.

In looking back I shudder to think that I could have been turned off triathlon altogether because of a poor wetsuit fit...I honestly thought i was just being a great big wimp. I guess we really do need the blood to flow through the blood vessels in the neck...

So, I totally agree with the fitting....it is worth the time in a big way!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri for fun - Full up, closed Rss Feed  

of 21