BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-04-14 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2790945

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!
Good morning everyone!  Thanks for posting how to add friends, I was just going to ask!!!  I had a good run last night and am all set for a ride after work.  It is sunny out today and about 20 deg warmer than yesterday!  What do you all have going on today?

Karen
-----

Good to hear that your run went well last night. I actually went swimming last night.  Put in 1000 yards without stopping basically.  The pool was really warm and crowded...grrrr but afterwards I felt great and not too tired surprisingly.
Tonight if there are not 30mph winds I think I am going to go biking.  It is supposed to be in the upper 70s today but only in the 50s this weekend.  So hopefully I can get in at least 1 more warm bike ride. Unfortunately I am stuck indoors at work until 5 though.

2010-04-14 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Morning all.  I did a really short and painful 6 mile ride yesterday with the boy in the trailer.  I've gotten spoiled by my road bike and just couldn't get any momentum on the hybrid. 

Today I need to get in a run of at least a few miles but I also need to clean the entire house because we have a showing at 6 tonight.  I was going to try to make it to the gym to swim today too but I'm in an ugly mood and it's just not going to happen. 

So do we get extra "credit" for biking with a trailer and running with a stroller?  Hubs thinks doing 6 miles on a hybrid pulling a fifty pound parachute is the equivalent of 12 miles by myself on the road bike.  I know my runs are at least a minute slower per mile pushing the stroller.  What do you all think?
2010-04-14 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2791007

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
I definitely think you get credit for pulling a kid and pushing a stroller.
We are trying to sell our house too.  We actually put in an offer on another place and it was accepted but it's contingent on the sale of our condo.  Unfortunately that was 2 months ago and our deadline to sell is May 2 so it looks like we're going to be stuck in our condo and lose the house
Luckily tri training helps take my mind off of this for at least awhile.

2010-04-14 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2790976

User image

Master

blackledge - 2010-04-14 10:15 AM Good morning everyone!  Thanks for posting how to add friends, I was just going to ask!!!  I had a good run last night and am all set for a ride after work.  It is sunny out today and about 20 deg warmer than yesterday!  What do you all have going on today?

Karen
-----

Good to hear that your run went well last night. I actually went swimming last night.  Put in 1000 yards without stopping basically.  The pool was really warm and crowded...grrrr but afterwards I felt great and not too tired surprisingly.
Tonight if there are not 30mph winds I think I am going to go biking.  It is supposed to be in the upper 70s today but only in the 50s this weekend.  So hopefully I can get in at least 1 more warm bike ride. Unfortunately I am stuck indoors at work until 5 though.

I'm stuck in the office with ya til 5  I am going to sneak out for a lunchtime yoga class though

2010-04-14 10:41 AM

User image

Regular
definitely count the lugging of the kids!

It's like wearing a drag suit whilst swimming!

Had a great swim this morning.  Plan on a long ride this afternoon.  My husband had to go out of town for the next few days, so I can't do the morning swim thing.  I will live.  Just run/bike while I am supposed to be working!

Ryan, sounds like you had a great swim too!

Good luck on the house sales.  SO stressful!
2010-04-14 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
We went on the market March 19 and for four weeks didn't have a single showing even after we dropped our price.  We had our second Open House on Sunday (no one came to the first) and finally had someone come and show interest.  Then we had a showing right after the Open House, one yesterday and one today.  I'm feeling a small flicker of hope that maybe we'll be able to sell before the end of the month.  I'll be talking to my agent about going to look at new houses soon so we can try to be under contract by April 30 and get that existing homebuyer tax credit.

As far as running, I either wear basketball style shorts or compression capris.  When I started running last year my butt was so big it would flap against my thighs with every step and I would chafe where they hit.  The compression shorts helped that.  Now my butt still jiggles (even though my boobs don't) and I use the compression shorts to keep things a little less wiggly. 

Someday I dream of being thin enough to wear real running shorts without my thighs trying to eat them.

2010-04-14 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2791113

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Thanks Kerry. Last night's swim had it's moments...at times I felt like it was so easy but during other laps I felt like I was moving slowly like a manatee  
Allison - Good luck with your next showing.  I hope it works out for you! All it takes is one person to buy your house...hopefully that person comes to your next showing!  We have not had too much traffic either so I have basically resorted to negative thoughts but trying to remain positive about our current living situation. I am usually a "glass half empty" kind of person but I am trying to remain more upbeat for the wife.

Edited by blackledge 2010-04-14 11:02 AM
2010-04-14 12:09 PM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
On the running shorts issue...

I usually run in pants or cheerleading shorts and I've never had a problem. Maybe it's not because I'm running that far?
2010-04-14 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2791062

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Carla - how did lunch yoga go?  I wish I could work out during my lunch breaks. I have the time to do it occasionally but no place to shower unfortunately.  Although I did go for a walk outside for a bit and it is gorgeous out!  Ok well it is very nice for Chicago for mid-April
2010-04-14 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2791468

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Scottie07 - 2010-04-14 12:09 PM On the running shorts issue...

I usually run in pants or cheerleading shorts and I've never had a problem. Maybe it's not because I'm running that far?

Maybe you don't have the amount of inner thigh meat required for chaffing like I do Yell  Be glad LOL  

Sounds like everyone is getting some good training in.  I hope to get in a run tonight after kids are in bed and husband is home.  Otherwise I will hit the trainer.  

Good luck to you guys trying to sell your homes.  Not sure where you all live but I know around here the spring is the time of year most houses sell.  So maybe you will both get bids placed soon.  

2010-04-14 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2791113

User image

Master

thndrcloud - 2010-04-14 10:45 AM We went on the market March 19 and for four weeks didn't have a single showing even after we dropped our price.  We had our second Open House on Sunday (no one came to the first) and finally had someone come and show interest.  Then we had a showing right after the Open House, one yesterday and one today.  I'm feeling a small flicker of hope that maybe we'll be able to sell before the end of the month.  I'll be talking to my agent about going to look at new houses soon so we can try to be under contract by April 30 and get that existing homebuyer tax credit.

As far as running, I either wear basketball style shorts or compression capris.  When I started running last year my butt was so big it would flap against my thighs with every step and I would chafe where they hit.  The compression shorts helped that.  Now my butt still jiggles (even though my boobs don't) and I use the compression shorts to keep things a little less wiggly. 

Someday I dream of being thin enough to wear real running shorts without my thighs trying to eat them.

OMG - that cracked me UP!!!  I'm going to have to go with the compression shorts (under my basketball style shorts of course). 

2010-04-14 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2791088

User image

Master

kerryd - 2010-04-14 10:41 AM definitely count the lugging of the kids!

It's like wearing a drag suit whilst swimming!

Had a great swim this morning.  Plan on a long ride this afternoon.  My husband had to go out of town for the next few days, so I can't do the morning swim thing.  I will live.  Just run/bike while I am supposed to be working!

Ryan, sounds like you had a great swim too!

Good luck on the house sales.  SO stressful!

My hubbs will be out of town next week as well.  Definately slows down the training.

2010-04-14 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2791765

User image

Master

blackledge - 2010-04-14 1:16 PM Carla - how did lunch yoga go?  I wish I could work out during my lunch breaks. I have the time to do it occasionally but no place to shower unfortunately.  Although I did go for a walk outside for a bit and it is gorgeous out!  Ok well it is very nice for Chicago for mid-April

Lunch yoga was great.  I'm not very limber, so each class is a step in the right direction for me.  I did find out today that I have mad balance skillz  I never considered myself very good at it.

You can totally work out at lunch.  When you get back to the office, you hit the bathroom and take a baby wipe bath.  It gets rid of all the salt and dirt and leaves your skin smooth and smelling like a baby's butt  baby.  Another application of deodorant and you are good to go for the rest of the afternoon.

2010-04-14 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2791842

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
elbi999 - 2010-04-14 1:34 PM

Scottie07 - 2010-04-14 12:09 PM On the running shorts issue...

Maybe you don't have the amount of inner thigh meat required for chaffing like I do Yell  Be glad LOL  

Sounds like everyone is getting some good training in.  I hope to get in a run tonight after kids are in bed and husband is home.  Otherwise I will hit the trainer.  

Good luck to you guys trying to sell your homes.  Not sure where you all live but I know around here the spring is the time of year most houses sell.  So maybe you will both get bids placed soon.  

x2 on the thigh meat...I am currently below 24% bodyfat and I can't run even a short distance without chafing. I don't own a pair of running shorts...it's all tights in different lengths. A combo of big thighs/butt and how it's all put together. Yay genetics!
2010-04-14 7:22 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

My son is older now (15 tomorrow) but I remember the days when he was little and trying to get anything done for me was challenging. Probably a reason I didn't start all this running and tri training until he was in middle school, although I still have been active with PTA and his sports, etc. Anyway -- I saw this article and thought of you moms trying to juggle it all:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-275--13465-1-1X2X3X4X5-6,00.html#

Good idea with the baby wipes at lunch! Good job getting that yoga class in, too.

Re: running attire -- There's also a running skirt with capri tights attached underneath I saw at a local 5K expo over the weekend. That might work for someone??

2010-04-14 8:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I read that article a few weeks ago and loved it Lynn.  In my case I have a husband who loves to bike and enjoys running as well when he has time.  Which is never.  Since he doesn't have time he doesn't sign up for any races/rides while I do so I end up needing to train then feel guilty for hogging free time with my schedule.  *sigh*

When the kids are grown I promised him we'd buy a condo in the city so he can have a 20 minute commute to work again and be able to have a life outside of the office.

2010-04-14 9:07 PM
in reply to: #2791181

User image

Melon Presser
blackledge - 2010-04-15 12:57 AM Thanks Kerry. Last night's swim had it's moments...at times I felt like it was so easy but during other laps I felt like I was moving slowly like a manatee

Now, now. Manatees swim at a LOWER limit of 2mph ... while expending very little energy.

Float like a Manatee, sting like a bee ...

They can sprint at speeds of 15mph or more.

The females are larger than the males. That makes for very egalitarian relationships.

Super job on the 1K!

2010-04-14 10:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Feel like I barely survived my first OWS.  But I did it.  Twice.  Now I must sleep.
2010-04-15 7:35 AM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
I'm having a hard time settling into a routine. Life seems to be butting in more than usual. I'm trying to work out a schedule that I can stick to most weeks. I haven't been swimming in almost 2 weeks even though I've had the time.

I'm going to try to go tonight after either a run or a bike ride. Since I did a lot of sprinting this morning, I may opt for the bike. Fitness camp has spoiled me. I haven't had to think about my own training in a while. I'm trying to follow the 16 week sprint plan but with minimal success. Blech. 16 days...
2010-04-15 7:37 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hey all, just trying to catch up...every time I have sat down with a computer my charming yet needy 15 month old son magically knows what I am doing and starts to scream.  Like he is doing now.  

Anyone with a bunch of kids want to chime in on how weirdly different they are, especially boys and girls?  My boy is very straightforward...kind of like a wrecking ball.  Lots of sturm und drang...while my daughter is more sinister, big picture, strategic, rule the world bad (when she is bad...she's actually pretty good, just a handful...she's smarter than us and she knows it)...

Anyway, to my Chicago peeps, I feel ya on the house selling drama.  We had our place on the market for about 6 months and we had a ton (30 or more) showings and NOT ONE OFFER!  I was done when I got feedback from one buyer who felt our house had "too many stairs."  Um, yeah, I live in Bucktown, every house here is three stories with two decks and stairs leading up to the front door and back to the garage.  I guess they were looking for a ranch home in downtown Chicago.  Good luck with that.  Point is, I feel your pain.  We pulled it off the market and are trying to learn to love winter.  We did better this year by running all winter instead of getting lazy when it got cold.

Love the pushing a stroller/pulling a trailer discussion.  This is a huge big deal to me as the only way I can get outside for a workout is to bring one if not two kids with me.  I actually put my trailer on my gear list so I could differentiate workouts (and paces/mileage) with and without.  I just look at it like wearing extra weight or someone said a drag suit...feels good when you go slick!  I'll post pix of my rig and cute training partners sometime...I have a mini van and I've been calling it my "Vansition Area."  The trailer converts to a jogging stroller and I actually did a brick with it last weekend.  It was awesome.

AFA workouts, I had a pretty good swim and a ho hum bike (with trailer) yesterday, but I am all caught up on my training plan and all I have to do is knock out an easy run today and I am done.  Going to get caught up on my yard work next!  Feeling a bit tired in this second week of training...hoping my body gets acclimated.  

What's everyone else up to today???

2010-04-15 7:45 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Yanti,

per my training question a few days ago (seems like weeks in this busy group)...I am looking at my training season in two parts, the first part seems pretty straightforward...the second part is a bit murky...

Right now I am training for the Bigfoot Olympic Triathlon 27 June (A race).  Before that race I have a 10 mile run (end of May) and a sprint tri (6 june).  The sprint tri makes sense to me as a warm up for the oly and the run is a bucket list item, I have no real goals...I've never even raced that distance (done a 15K and a 1/2 Mary).  After that I have another sprint tri in July, the Chicago tri (oly) in August, and one more oly in September).  And really, my big goal is to do the Chicago Marathon (A race) in Octoper.  So I guess this summer while I am in the end of my tri season, is when I need to modify my training to really concentrate on the run... 

The bigfoot Oly and the Chicago Marathon are the only ones I am targeting as A races right now.

WDYT? 

2010-04-15 8:29 AM

User image

Regular
Emily, I am in the same boat too... I can't seem to settle into a routine.  The PLAN is there, I just can't seem to execute it and feel like I am constantly playing catch-up

Quincy - you are absolutely right about the boy vs girl thing.  My boy is a straight shooter, a WYSIWYG kind of kid.  My daughter is manipulative (in a good way, if there is a good way) and has got her big brother's number... constantly pushing his buttons.  Most days, I feel like a referee instead of a mom.  They are both awesome in their own ways, but drive me bug NUTS! 

I got nothing done yesterday.  Today I hope to AT LEAST get in a long walk with the kids.  My 6 year old won't go in the double stroller and can't keep up when I jog.  I long for the day that he is comfortable on his bike, then he can bike with me when I jog.  Worst case scenario, I will just do strength training and Wii Fit (don't judge me) and make it up tomorrow and this weekend when my husband is home.

I don't know how single parents do it.

Kerry
2010-04-15 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
My oldest (13 and 7) are girls and then there's my little guy.  The girls have always been full of drama pretty much since birth.  They have a flair for the melodramatic and things are always blown out of proportion.  In contrast, my little guy is just chill about everything.  He just goes with the flow and takes whatever comes along in stride.  It's crazy!  I attribute it to different fathers.

I was a single mom for ten years and it sucked but sometimes, to be honest, I think it was a little easier.  The house never got messy because we were only home a couple hours each day.  I didn't have to deal with feeding breakfasts and lunchs because daycare did that.  They also got the kids to and from school and got homework completed.  Every day followed the same routine and I didn't have to think about it.

So, it's awesome here again today.  I had been thinking I'd do spin and then swim today but I think I'm bailing on that plan.  Instead I think I'm going to hook up the trailer and take Busy B out for a spin.  Hopefully longer than the other day and perhaps with some sunblock today. 

Anyone dealing with triathlete tan yet?  I've got sock lines, three different lines from my compression capris and two different length bike shorts, short sleeve jersey lines, sleeveless tech shirt lines and racerback lines.  Oh, and glove lines.
2010-04-15 9:38 AM

User image

Master

I have the tan lines going full force.  My hands and feet are white white.  Just one length of shorts, but 3 on the arms.  The weather has steadily gotten warmer, so I have 3/4 length lines just below the elbow, short sleeve lines and now tank top lines to boot.  We just got a boat, so I'm hoping to keep them somewhat evened out over the summer...and hoping for lots of OWS

I've got a long bike ride with lots of hill work planned for today...only working a 1/2 day...whooooot!

Edited by crews 2010-04-15 9:38 AM
2010-04-15 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2793464

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
thndrcloud - 2010-04-15 8:46 AM My oldest (13 and 7) are girls and then there's my little guy...I attribute it to different fathers.

I was a single mom for ten years and it sucked but sometimes, to be honest, I think it was a little easier.

Instead I think I'm going to hook up the trailer and take Busy B out for a spin.  Hopefully longer than the other day and perhaps with some sunblock today. 

Anyone dealing with triathlete tan yet?  

Haha, see, mine have the same Dad and they're still totally different...that's part of what blows our mind...exact same genetic pool...completely different kids.  The girl is tiny, the boy is huge, personality, etc etc...

I was thinking that my life was easier when I worked...we had to have help and DH had to deal with stuff when I was gone (I am a pilot so when I am gone, I am not coming back to save the day, you know?).  

Do the trailer...how old is busy b?  I find one of those snack cups filled with graham crackers and freeze dried fruit gives me at least an hour free of squawking...eat for 1/2 hour, sleep for 1/2 hour...)

I have a stripe on my back because I don't have any proper bike clothes yet and I got a little burn last week (my first ride after our trip to Jamaica I get burned...silly).  I also have a watch tan.  No sock lines yet, but I expect to have a fabulous bike short line soon.  I also got tangled up with some tanning lotion which resulted in some pretty silly looking streaks.  When will I learn?  I keep trying to use that stuff and it's almost always a disaster.  Sigh.  Vanity causes much calamity in my life.

Knocked out my run...kind of all over the neighborhood this morning.  So nice out.  My favorite "weirdo" sighting was the dude walking down the street with a garage door opener tucked in the v of his button up shirt...that's the kind of stuff that has me composing back stories for book characters...I mean, what is the opener for?  Why wear it like a medallion?  Urban life leaves me with many questions. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60