BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2010-05-08 5:02 PM
in reply to: #2845968

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED
Yea Tammy Turtle, you are a triathlete!!  Congratulations!!!!  Can't wait to read the official race report, hope you are enjoying the post-race mellowness (and food!).

2010-05-08 5:11 PM

User image

Expert
Way to go, Tammy! Bravo on becoming a triathlete-- can't wait to read the race report! In the meantime, enjoy the post-race food, party, and exhaustion!

Edited by wrkinprogress 2010-05-08 5:12 PM
2010-05-08 5:20 PM
in reply to: #2778561

User image

Veteran
Way to go Tammy! You're officially a Triathlete! I can't wait to read the full report
2010-05-08 7:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
OK team.  I'm now back home after a successful 25k run.  Finish time 2:22:58 (about 9:12/mile ave).  I put up a pretty short and to the point race report.  Not too much to say.  I started running at the gun and stopped when I hit the finish line!  The weather was cold and windy but the rain held off until I was walking back to my hotel. 

Can't wait to read all about my fellow BT'ers and how they did this weekend.

Janet

PS - I really thought about all of you today, thanks for all of the good wishes this AM, it really helped me when I was hurting!
2010-05-09 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2846379

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
From reading logs and race reports, all of our weekend racers did us proud!  FANTASTIC JOB everyone, and thanks to all the inspirers that left them some motivation in their logs, that really DOES help!
2010-05-09 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2845802

User image

Regular
PTWykes - 2010-05-08 11:10 AM40 degrees, steady rain, and LOTS of mud but an AWESOME trail - it was beautiful! I felt slow/sluggish but my time turned out not as bad as it felt(55:05 for 6.2 miles). A bit hilly but, really quite nice...nothing like 2 weekends ago!
Congratulations!!!

2010-05-09 12:20 PM

User image

Regular
tstl - 2010-05-08 2:15 PM Just got home and showered after my Sprint. I'll do an official race report later. It was lots of fun- the lake swim was pretty wild navigating my way through all the swimmers. The bike also went pretty well - I found my experience as a motorcyclist actually helped a lot- you wouldn't BELIEVE how many people I passed coming out of the turns (and there were a lot of turns on this course). Of course, many of them passed me back on the next hill because they were fitter and faster than me, but I'd get them at the next turn. If you slow down for turns, it takes a LONG time to regain that lost ground. I struggled a bit in the run with some light-headedness which turned to full-on grey-outs after the finish. Still a little light-headed now, as a matter of fact. Probably because today was the day of my monthly whopper headache (thanks again, mother nature!). I took a megadose of caffeine and some ibuprofen this morning and forgot all about it, but that may be why I feel so funky. 

As soon as the queasiness subsides, I'm heading for a post-race chow-down at the all you can eat salad buffet! 

Turtle 

Congratulations on your accomplishment!!!  Way to go!
2010-05-09 12:35 PM

User image

Regular
Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers in our group.
2010-05-11 4:55 AM
in reply to: #2846964

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
It's looking like everyone is off to a great start this week!!  Somehow I ended up with a bunch of over-achievers that are just like me!  I'm finding I don't have to do much motivating, you all are motivating ME!!  Keep it up gang!!
2010-05-11 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2850372

Veteran
Goodness gracious, what in the heck are you doing up posting instead of sleeping at 2:55 AM?
-k
2010-05-11 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2850767

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
kellekl - 2010-05-11 8:48 AM Goodness gracious, what in the heck are you doing up posting instead of sleeping at 2:55 AM? -k

Well, where ARE you, Kory??  My local time was 4:55, so that's not THAT bad is it??  I am not THAT OCD that I get up at like, midnight to go train, ha ha!!

2010-05-11 8:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
I've been completely ignoring this forum, shame on me... just forgot about it - too busy enjoying the inspires!  I just figured out why I suck on hills - I think I have the answer now!!!!  I was reading about cycling etiquette today and stumbled across some good info.  Laughing  In order to be a good hill climber you can't weigh more than 2X your height in inches.  So I'm 6'2" - that is 74" - which results in a weight of 150 freaking pounds.  So I can starve myself for years to hit 150lbs and become a good climber or I can stay a healthy fat 200lbs (my goal for year end) and suck!!!  I'll take the suck! Whew, glad I have the answer to that issue...Surprised  Everything on the internet is true!
2010-05-12 1:15 AM
in reply to: #2852752

User image

Extreme Veteran
wsilverthorne - 2010-05-11 6:40 PM   In order to be a good hill climber you can't weigh more than 2X your height in inches.  

That's hilarious! At least now I know why I still (and always will) suck at hill-climbing! Now, what's the excuse for my swimming?? 
2010-05-12 6:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
I think hills are hard unless you ride them all the time.  My sister lives in hilly Kentucky and she climbs hills like a mountain goat!  I'm in flat Michigan and the only thing worse than climbing a hill is going down one.  I like speed when I control it not when gravity is in control.

On another note, I'm a bit concerned to read in everyone's log how sick we seem to be as a group.  I know its a fine line between training hard and smart and training too hard.  Please, everyone be careful out there.  Remember that we all have a pretty full plate with work and family and whatever.  Training has to be the part of your life that enhances not detracts from it all.  That being said, KNOCK 'EM DEAD!
2010-05-12 6:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the "info" on the hill climbs on the bike...LOL...I'd look SICK if I dropped 12 more pounds to meet that guideline so I guess hills just won't be my thing. NOT! I'm going to prove that little theory wrong!!!!!

I agree that it is somewhat startling how many people are sick in our group right now....stay healthy people! You can't train, let alone train well when you're sick!

I had a KICK A** workout this morning (details will be in my log Needed that after feeling blah yesterday!
2010-05-12 8:18 AM

Veteran
Subject: Oly tri?
OK, getting nervous about my Oly tri on 6/5 and thinking of converting to a Sprint. Looking for some advice. Have done 5 or 6 sprints now and feel comfortable doing them and enjoy it. I know I can do the Oly swim (probably with some side stroke and a wet suit. I know I can easily do the bike. I have NEVER run 6 miles and even with just a sprint tri the 3 mi run at the end seems long. During my last tri, which I wasn't in the best respiratory shape for, I was thinking during the run that I simply couldn't imagine doing that whole run course again. Plus, that was a much shorter swim and a shorter bike.

Would it be smarter to switch to the sprint and sign up for an Oly later in the summer? The caveat is that this course on 6/5 is the easiest course, very flat and fast in Oregon and that is the only Oly of the year there. Or should I just suck it up, know that it will take effort and that I may walk some of the run?

I have been training on a Oly training plan and completing the majority of the workouts, except when ill last week. But I'm a very slow runner and the running is by time. I have done multiple 5 mile runs and one 5.5 mile run. I also still have 3 weeks.

Advice or ideas appreciated.

-k

Edited by kellekl 2010-05-12 8:23 AM

2010-05-12 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2852326

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
hildekq - 2010-05-11 5:16 PM
kellekl - 2010-05-11 8:48 AM Goodness gracious, what in the heck are you doing up posting instead of sleeping at 2:55 AM? -k

Well, where ARE you, Kory??  My local time was 4:55, so that's not THAT bad is it??  I am not THAT OCD that I get up at like, midnight to go train, ha ha!!

Even if the rumors of you were getting up at midnight to train had been true, I would not have been surprised at all. 

Edited by Sulcus 2010-05-12 8:29 AM
2010-05-12 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2853322

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Subject: RE: Oly tri?
kellekl - 2010-05-12 9:18 AM OK, getting nervous about my Oly tri on 6/5 and thinking of converting to a Sprint. Looking for some advice. Have done 5 or 6 sprints now and feel comfortable doing them and enjoy it. I know I can do the Oly swim (probably with some side stroke and a wet suit. I know I can easily do the bike. I have NEVER run 6 miles and even with just a sprint tri the 3 mi run at the end seems long. During my last tri, which I wasn't in the best respiratory shape for, I was thinking during the run that I simply couldn't imagine doing that whole run course again. Plus, that was a much shorter swim and a shorter bike. Would it be smarter to switch to the sprint and sign up for an Oly later in the summer? The caveat is that this course on 6/5 is the easiest course, very flat and fast in Oregon and that is the only Oly of the year there. Or should I just suck it up, know that it will take effort and that I may walk some of the run? I have been training on a Oly training plan and completing the majority of the workouts, except when ill last week. But I'm a very slow runner and the running is by time. I have done multiple 5 mile runs and one 5.5 mile run. I also still have 3 weeks. Advice or ideas appreciated. -k

You have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages in your mind.  I'm slow too so the thing that I have been trying to get my head around is that if I can actually do the distance (and not completely embarass myself), why not do it?  I will definitely have to walk some of the run and doing it in NYC is not high on my list of "race memories" but I pushed off my training this year.  Even so, I know I can do the distance so I figure that I will still go for it.    Your training looks pretty solid and as long as you race your race and don't get caught up in other peoples' then I think you'll do great!

The other thing is if this a goal of yours?  If so, then push yourself and do it.  If something bad or dramatic happens, you can always still do the race later in the year armed with the knowledge from this race. 

Having read my training journal for a while, Hilde's probably on the floor after reading this but I did promise her I was going to turn over a new leaf. 
2010-05-12 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
kellekl - I can't really comment on the OLY distance vs Sprint because I've never done either, however as a distance runner I can say that there is something called the magic of race day that allows you to complete distances longer than any training run.   I never run a full marathon in traning for a marathon and I've completed 7 marathons!  You can count on the race itself to carry you a few miles further than you've ever gone before.  You should, however, listen to the tri folks in the group before making any final decisions.
2010-05-12 11:42 AM

User image

Veteran
I have no concrete experience with the sprint vs oly thing as I've not done a tri yet but I agree with the ideas that 1) you could always walk some of it and still be proud of having done it and 2)adrenaline and the excitement of the race will go a long way to carrying you further than you've ever gone before (for my first 1/2 marathon the most I ever ran was 10 miles and I thought there was NO.POSSIBLE.WAY I'd ever be able to do the 3 more needed in the race...I did it!). It's scary to push beyond your current limits and comfort zone with distances...you've got 3 more weeks to prepare...YOU CAN DO IT!
2010-05-12 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2853860

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Kory, I would say go for it, worst case is you have to walk the run, so what?  You'll get an idea of what you need to work on.  My last race of last season was an OLY, my long runs at that time were just over 6 miles, most of my bikes were in the 20 mile range, but I knew I could do 25 and I knew the swim would be no problem.  In other words, I felt like I was fairly well prepared.  I had a huge lead over the other girls in my AG coming off the bike.  I "ran" maybe the first mile, had horrible side stitches, HR was bonkers, I just couldn't get it together and ended up walking the majority of it.  That said, I still got 4th place AG (I think out of 9).  I was happy I did it, and knew I had major work to do on my run and I focused on that over the winter and it has improved immensely!  I'm still nowhere near where I WANT to be running, but I am seeing steady improvements.  I'm feeling a bit wishy washy about a Tri I want to do in July... I did the sprint last year and won 1AG, but I'd kind of like to do the OLY this year, but the run is VERY hilly.  I want to do it right, so once school gets out I can really work on my bike and my run, but then I think maybe I should just do the Sprint, knowing I'll be better at it this year than last year.  I think if you do the OLY you'll find out if it's a distance you really want to work on or maybe you'll just want to stick to sprints.  I don't know how much improvement you might see over 3 weeks, although I'm sure you can get your runs to the 10K distance pretty easily if you've done 5.5.  Whatever you decide, we're here to help you get through it!

And thanks to Shawn for chiming in!!  He's been sick too, and is just getting back to his training.  I haven't called him a weenie (yet, ha ha)....

2010-05-12 12:16 PM

User image

Expert
Kory-- Good question; as lots of others have said, it sounds like you could definitely do the distance, even if you walk some of the run. I guarantee you won't be the only one, and if this is a race and distance you want to do right now, go for it! *cheers you on*

Thanks for all the inspires after my trifecta this weekend, everyone-- I'm back after 2 excellent days of rest, and rarin' to go for the next bit of training! There's a bike clinic in town this weekend, so I'll go to that and see if I can work on some bike-handling skills for the next time I do a long ride, too.

Allow me to echo Hilde here: this group is AWESOME!! Go, gang, go! Laughing
2010-05-12 1:08 PM
in reply to: #2854175

User image

Extreme Veteran
K, I'll chime in here with everyone else and say go for it! You'll probably do better than you think, and anyway, LOTS of people walk the run! Just pace yourself and do what you can. Just like Marsha, I did a 1/2 marathon- actually, 2 of them- without ever running more than around 10-11 miles in training. I had no trouble finishing, having fun, and even having a race time that didn't embarrass me. You can do it if you want to!

turtle 
2010-05-12 3:30 PM

Veteran
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful comments. I just feel so in my comfort zone with the sprint races now that I was having my doubts. I've been training hard specifically for the Oly and should be able to finish it. I've signed up for two sessions of open water swim practice with a group and a coach before the event. It is am amazingly fast bike course (this is where I was going 25 mph with little effort on my group ride BEFORE we turned around) though there is often fierce wind later in the day it shouldn't be a problem early. As others have pointed out I can certainly walk some during the run if I need to.

Leaving today for Alaska. So excited to do the tri there with my mother and both my sisters. Hopefully my dad will survive caring for my sisters 20 mo and 6 mo for a few hours!

-kory
2010-05-12 3:35 PM

User image

Harrison Twp
Training question: I start a 20 week program next week for 1/2 ironman. (i never did a Tri before)
I am slow and my fastest (at this time) for running is about 13min/mile. from what i can tell on the program all training is done by time. but it looks like it's for 10min/miles. do i add that extra time becasue i'm slower?
Thanks for any input.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41