BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2010-04-08 6:57 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED

NAME:  hildekq / Hilde (pronounced Hildee)

STORY:  I am 52 years old, (or 53 in triathlon years!) and am in my second season of triathlon.  I am a swimmer first, then comes the bike, and then my nemesis, the RUN.  I’ve been a swimmer all my life, but only swam for one year in college competitively.  I’ve been lap swimming as an adult for years, mainly for weight control, and a friend got me to compete in the Senior Games, and I did well.  She then talked me into training for a triathlon and I was quickly hooked by both the training and the racing.  I used to bike years ago, so that came easily to me, but the running has been hard work for me.  I started the Couch to 5K plan and ran a mile in 13+ minutes.  I am now down to about a 10 minute mile and just recently did a half marathon (all in hopes of improving my run leg for triathlon!).  I am a breast cancer survivor (almost 7 years now) and teach elementary music.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married for 26 years to a now-retired Army Warrant Officer, two grown kids and one grandson.  We currently have four dogs at home, one older wire-haired dachshund, a 2 year old Catahoula and two basset puppies.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I’ve been training pretty much non-stop since I began this tri journey.  Last year I did several sprints and one Olympic tri.  I even managed to win my age group twice and placed very well in the rest!  I am really working on my run, as that has held me back.  I am highly motivated to train, and often have to take a step back and make myself take a rest day.

THIS YEAR’S RACES:  As I said, I have recently done a half-marathon, I have a 5K this weekend, my first sprint tri of the season next weekend, and another in May.  I hope to do about 4 more Srpints and one or two Olympics this season, as well as another 5K and perhaps another half-marathon in the fall.

WEIGHT LOSS:  Over the past 3 years or so I have lost 40 pounds, and had a few come back over Christmas, so I would like to lose about 10.  You would think that working out twice a day would make it easy!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  I live the lifestyle, triathlon is part of who I am.  I would like to mentor those who are brand new to the sport, interested in shorter distance races.  I’m probably one of the few folks that really have no interest in ever doing an Ironman!  I by no means claim to know it all, but I have really done my homework on this sport.  If you want someone to keep tabs on your training and motivate you, I am your gal.  I would like a group that will check up on each other and motivate each other!  Share experiences, ask questions.  If you are an older woman just starting out, well, I share your pain!  Need swim advice, I got it.  Need a kick in the you know where to get you back on track, I’m pretty good at that too!  I check training logs daily and have been told I’m a “great inspirer”!  I am really excited to be able to give back to BT!

Edited by hildekq 2010-04-17 7:22 AM

2010-04-16 1:14 PM
in reply to: #2778561

Veteran
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - OPEN
I'ld love to join your group.

I'm a 37-year-old (38 USAT) woman who works full-time, but have the advantage of no kids so more time to train. I did a tri 2 or 3 years ago with my mother (who has been doing a women's only sprint tri in AK for nearly 20 years now) and finished but was rather miserable. Like many others I swore I'ld never do another. Last year I did 4 or so sprints and really enjoyed them. I decided to try to make the leap to an oly this year. I've been on a training program since Dec or so with a few 1 week breaks for vacations and knee pain. I've also hooked up some with the local tri group here in Portland, OR. I'm toying with the idea of a 1/2 iron next fall (2011), but haven't gotten past that point.

I'm very slow compared to most and am totally OK with that. I was never much of a runner, swimmer, or biker. I did play on the varsity fast pitch softball team in college, so if you need a fast curve ball I can help! I find triing a great way to stay in shape and have lost nearly 50 pounds since I started and I am a much healthier person. The different activities keep me from getting bored, help keep me injury free, and the training plan keeps me on track. I am slowly improving my swim. I've never been able to successfully freestyle anytime in my life despite MANY sets of swim lessons. In Feb I had to stop in the middle of each LENGTH to catch my breath, but I've forced myself into the pool multiple times a week and am improving steadily. This morning I did a total of a mile, very slowly with drills and some breast stroke but I made it and see the light. Our local tri club is starting open water swims soon that I hope to participate in. I just bought my first "real bike" after always riding a hybrid or mountain bike and I love it. It "bought" me an extra 2-3 miles and hour with zero extra effort. I'm learning to use the clip-on aero bars as well. Again on the run I'm just plain slow. I've always hated/dreaded running, but am slowly coming to enjoy, but certainly not love it. I've had knee pain a few times that have derailed my training, especially after a fabulous (at the time) long run on wet, slippery, hilly, uneven, trails through the woods. Now I limit my time on those trails though I love them.

I've done one pool swim sprint this year and have two more before the outside season starts with my first oly! If it goes well I'll sign up for more.

Looking forward to working with the group!

kory
2010-04-16 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2796721

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Kory, WELCOME to the group, you are my first!!!  I am so happy to finally be live!!  Sounds like you have a great base built up and some experience.  Hopefully I can give you some swim pointers.  Looking forward to working with you!!

2010-04-16 2:08 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
2010-04-16 2:28 PM

User image

New user

Hello Hilde,
I'd like to join your group.
I'm "Bif"..  Carl , I'm 54 and decided today to complete a triathlon.

I'm overweight  (203, 5'7") and out of shape, but  I realize  the grim reaper is  right behind me, so I better get running.

My weight goal is to get to 170 lbs .  My goal is to finish the race within the deadline, a mini tri  1/2 mile swim ,a 13 mile ride and a 5k run. Race date is Aug 7.

Today I ran 3 miles, and I hurt. I can ride 20mile.  I have not swam any distance ever ( but I can swim)  and I have never combined these activities.

I would like to join your group because I am a true beginner, and need all the help I can get.

2010-04-16 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2796874

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
juniperjen - 2010-04-16 3:08 PM Hilde ROCKS!!

Smile

It's true!  I was in a mentor group with Hilde last cycle and I don't think anyone who joins this group will find a more enthusiastic, supportive or helpful mentor out there!  She's also good at gently kicking you in the rear from time to time, if you need that kind of motivation like I do.  If I hadn't already joined a group, Hilde would have been my first choice! 

That being said, I have already warned her that I will definitely pop in from time to time to visit. 

2010-04-16 4:23 PM

User image

Harrison Twp
Add me to the list, I need a lot of motivation!!Michele
2010-04-16 4:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Hello! I would love to join your group Smile.
I am definitely a beginner!
My name is Jordan -I'm a girl-just to clarify! I live in good old Wisconsin.  I'm engaged and we have a siamese cat named Eggroll who is my baby.
After completing two 5k's I felt like I needed more to motivate my workouts.  I'm not sure why I thought triathlons would be a good idea, but I feel I am definitely up for the challenge.
I just recently started running for weight loss and have lost about 25 pounds so far.  I still have a long way to go. I would say at least 50-60 lbs more.
I am an awful swimmer, so I look forward to any advice.  I can "swim" in the sense that I definitely won't drown, but I probably look like I might. My best stroke is the back stroke and the side stroke. Laughing
I think biking would be my strongest event. It's something I've always done and really enjoy.
I'm kind of an all or nothing person, so I look forward to the encouragement I'll find on this page for when I'm feeling my "nothing" moments. 
I also look forward to the opportunity of advice and talking to others with the same goals as me. 
I look forward to working with you.

2010-04-16 6:45 PM

Hi Hilde,

I would love to join this group.  My name is Carl (mistercdub) and I am a 51 year old (in Tri years too) male and am training for my first Triathlon.  I am married and have one son.

I should be classified as a Super Clydesdale.  At 6' 4" tall, I started the year at 442 pounds, weighing in last Tuesday at 374.  I have made great progress but still have a long way to go.  Triathlon training should keep me active enough to burn a few calories while having some fun!

My training for January and February was mainly in the Gym spending 6 days per week on the eliptical and 4 days strength training.  In March, I started with a Masters swim team and have been in the pool 4 - 5 days a week.  I reduced my gym to 3 days per week.  With the warmer weather coming, I am about to embark on a 9 week couch to 5K program and start getting out on my bike.  My plan is for Swim - 4/5 days, Bike - 3 days, Run (or walk right now) - 3 days with 2 days of strength training as a supplement.  This is very agressive but I have been feeling really good, especially in the pool.  I am slow but my stamina is getting very good.  I completed a 1500 yard continuous swim this week.  My pace is just under 3 min/100 yds.  I have not been using the training log here but will begin today. 

The current plan is to compete in (actually just complete) at least 2 sprint triathlons this year.  I am hoping my first will be in July and my second Labor day weekend.  Might also try for a third at the end of September.  Living in Michigan, the season is too short!

Any and all suggestions or motivation will be greatly appreciated.  As time draws near, I would really like to draw on your experience preparing for race day and learning about the little things that help.  By October, I would like to be able to say I am living the triathlon lifestyle as well!

I am still fairly new to this site and look forward to communicating with you and the other group members.  It should be a great ride!

Thanks and Have a Great Weekend!

Carl
2010-04-16 7:05 PM

User image

Hey Hilde!  

I would love to join as well.  I am new to triathlons, but looking forward to my first.  I got a good start on a swim program during the winter, then fell victim to the joy of sleeping in.  So I am back at ground zero, beginning again this spring.  I really enjoy the swimming, but could use some help fine-tuning my stroke and workouts - and most of all, some motivation!  I am also starting over with the running portion.  I made it three weeks into a couch to 5K before re-aggravating an old ankle injury playing tennis (which is what led me to the pool to begin with).  

David 

Edited by Jonathan Swift 2010-04-16 7:13 PM
2010-04-16 7:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Hildekq -

You are the best.  Can I resign from the group I joined and come over to your side?  If not, I too will be joining in from time to time.

2010-04-16 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2797511

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Wow, I was away from my computer for a few hours and WHAM, what a lot of interest!!  Welcome all of you!!  I just got back from a horrific drive to Austin to pick up my race packet for my first tri of the season, and I am beat, but my wonderful husband is cooking dinner!!  So this will be a short welcome to those of you who have responded so far and I will try to be more specific tomorrow.

Welcome to:

kellekl - Kory
bif - Carl #1
nina44shell - Michele
jordiebrigs - Jordan
mistercdub - Carl #2
Joanathan Swift - David
jcarmody - Janet

If you haven't already posted a short bio, please do, it will help all of us get to know each other!  And if you wouldn't mind, your age too??  Hey, I'm an old bag and proud of it!!  Looks like we have a lot of beginners which is good for me since I'm fairly new to the sport too!!

2010-04-16 8:27 PM

User image

Seminole, FL
NAME: JenMcConnell/ Jen

STORY: I started training for my first triathlon last year in Jan 2009. My first was a sprint in May 09'. Life happened and I fell off the training band wagon when it was time for my first registered for triathlons packet pick up.  I had not trained in six weeks and was not sure if I should even atempt such a feet. Then, I thought, well heck I have already paid I might as well do the thing. Just cross the finish was my goal. Well, I did it. I finished and I was sold on this wonderful world of tri-ing ! I have since done 2 more tris and a crazy trail/hill 10k run race and get faster every race. I am not fast but just love seeing if I can beat my last race pace. My fav. sport was swimming then biking and has moved to running! I actually like to run,  I never thought I'd say that. I am very slow but aim to get better this year.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 3 year girl and 21 month old boy. Hubby is putting some pressure for me to get pregnant soon. I still plan to train if I do.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently training for a May sprint.

2009 Races:
Madria Beach Mad Dog Sprint
Top Gun Sprint
Sand Key Sprint
Suncoast Sprint
Richmond TT 10k

WEIGHTLOSS: Would like to lose 15lbs.

Looking forward to a stellar season with some new tri-buddies to spur on!!!!

HILDE IS AWWWESOME!!!!
2010-04-16 8:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi! Hoping there is still some room for me to join your group!?

My name is Marsha, I am a 37 year old Physical Therapist and mom of 2 (Easton 5 and Rya 3). I am a former Division I college distance swimmer, I took up running about 2 years ago (have done many 5K's and 10K's and two half-marathons) and am a TOTAL newbe to biking - I just bought a road bike 2 weeks ago! I've been spinning for about 2 years but have quickly learned that that is WAY different than actually biking!

I am signed up for a sprint distance in June and an Olympic distance in August.

I lost about 50 pounds between July 2007 and November 2008 and have managed to keep it off I am at a healthy weight but, I am currently working on "eating clean" and weight lifting to see even more transformation into a lean physique.  Pairing that with my triathlon training has me really excited about the changes I am seeing in my body!

I am eager to meet all of you and pick up some tips, learn about your journeys, and help with motivation.

I was doing OK logging my workouts up until this past week when I just got lazy about logging them. I promise to do better and be more specific so you can all what I'm really up to!

2010-04-16 9:15 PM

User image

Expert
Hi everyone! Might there be room for another?

I'm Alex (short for Alexandra), username wrkinprogress. I did my first (and so far only) tri last year at the age of 39 and LOVED it, so I'm hoping to do several this year-- including a couple of Olys, even though the prospect still scares me... I've been a swimmer my whole life, though more lifeguard-oriented than racing; I took up running a couple of years ago and am still working on extending my runs; technically the bike is probably my weakest link because I've not done as much of it (at least, not since I was a kid and biked everywhere!). But I bought myself a road bike this year as a 40th birthday present, so I'm definitely up for getting out there on it! I just did a local 5K last weekend and ran it faster than I've been able to run 5K in over 10 years, so the training's got to be working, right?Smile

I'm also hoping to do at least one half-marathon (also in aid of working on the run, Hilde!) this summer-- I might do another (s-l-o-w-l-y) in mid-May if my schedule permits, but I should know about that by next week. So far, I *loved* the tri I did last year, so I'm looking forward to doing more of them. Ideally, I'd like to come down a bit in body fat % along the way-- I'm right in the "average" block right now, but would love to whittle that down if I can.

If there's room, I'd love to join you all and get to know some fellow BTers while benefiting from Hilde's experience and occasional kick to the behind!
2010-04-16 9:25 PM

User image

Wesley Chapel, FL
Hilde ... CHECK YOU OUT!!!  You have a GREAT group started over here!  Cannot wait to follow you guys and see the progress I know you'll all make!  Everyone here who knows Hilde has already told you she ROCKS and ... they are right!!  And she wasn't kidding when she said she's good for a swift kick in the you know what!!   

Go get 'em, Hilde!   

2010-04-16 10:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Hi Hilde,  I'm not sure you have room, but if so I'd like to be part or your group!

Name:  Wilson Silverthorne (wsilverthorne)

My story:  I'm 38 years old and have been slowly killing myself for years.  I'm 6'2" and in January topped out at 295!  I was sickened by how out of control I'd gotten and in the back of my mind I'm reminded that my father died at 50 due to being overweight and having heart issues.  My brother was recently in a nearly fatal car accident and while I was preparing for him to die - I could hear the voices of the doctors saying "his recovery is so difficult because he is so overweight" he is 6'5" and 330.(he survived!)  We are both carbon copies of my father and we know how that ended - I decided on the way home from visiting my brother in the hospital that my life would be different from that point on!  In January I started training for a Tri.  Why a Tri - God knows, I think the challenge is huge.  I've always wanted to run a 5k, but have never gotten the job done.  

Background:  So, I was somewhat athletic in my teens - I played football and was crazy about martial arts and fought basically full contact.  I also swam on the swim team in 7 and 8th grades!  Since my teens I've gone downhill.  I still remember how to push, and be respectfully competitive. 

Blessings:  I've been with my wife for 21 years and we have 3 wonderful monsters!!!  Twin girls age 4 and a 5-1/2 year old son.  I have been enjoying playing outside with them lately because I'm in much better shape than last year.

Today:  Since January I've been fully motivated and have not missed a beat of my Michael Pates 22 week "Couch to Tri".  I make every workout count and push myself.  I've been logging my workouts religiously and am scared, anxious, excited and looking forward to my first Tri on July 17th.  I have lost 32 lbs and have a goal to drop another 30 before my scheduled Tri.  I've read the BIOs from the others in your group and I think the interaction would be wonderful with your mentor leadership.

Please consider my interest in joining your group Hilde if you have room.

Thanks!

Wilson 
2010-04-16 11:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi Hilde, can I join your group?

I'm new to triathlon, just did my first sub-sprint last weekend, and I'm hooked! I'm a 42-year old working mom, married, living in AZ. I travel a lot, so I have some unique challenges, but I also have a lot of days off (I'm a pilot), so I can still pack in a fair amount of training.

I'm glad to hear you're such a strong swimmer, because I could really use some help there! I've been an on-and-off runner for years, so I'm OK there - not fast - and the bike is coming along, but I regularly get lapped by 8 year olds and senior citizens in the pool!

I'm doing two more sprints next month, then we're heading into the "off" season as it heats up here in the desert, but I'd like to start working toward an Olympic distance next fall or winter. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Tammy 
2010-04-17 6:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Name - Janet Carmody / 50 years old
Location  - Michigan (Forcast snow/sleet for today!!)
Story - I have always loved individual sports, but never really participated in anything.  Running a marathon has always been a life-goal and in 2004 I decided to go for it.  With the help of Team-in-Training I finished my first marathon and was hooked.  Since then I have run 7 more.  Number 8 is scheduled for the end of May 2010.  You have now probably guessed that running is my strong sport.  Last summer I decided that I needed to attempt a triathlon.  I bought a road bike and that is as far as I got.  Did a lot of biking and running but never really spent any time in the water.   In March of this year I participated in an indoor triathlon at my local YMCA and I won the women's division!  So now I need to see if I can finish a real triathlon.  Haven't targeted an event yet - I need to get the marathon behind me first.
Family - Loving husband of 26 years, 2 hound-dogs (black & tan / lab mix)
Training - 25K in early May, Bayshore Marathon Memorial Day weekend
Goals - Improve my swimming, Complete my first real triathlon
2010-04-17 6:46 AM

User image

Regular
Hi Hilde,

My name is Denise Johnson.  I'm a 41 year old overweight Mom of a 5 and  year old who works full time.  I signed up for a tri in June to get me back to a healthier state.  I've had to learn how to swim and I'm learning how to ride a bike :-).   I ran a marathon 10 years ago so the running portion is the least of my worries. 

I would love to join your mentor group.

2010-04-17 7:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL
Hi Hilde:  I was challenged to train for a triathlon by a family member as a part of my overall weight loss program.  I've lost 55 lbs over the past year (still have 15 more to go) and had been working out regularly with swimming, weights and the elliptical at the gym.  I thought, why not ...  I'm not a runner.  (That's why I picked your group Smile)  I was a swimmer in high school.  So I, too, started with the couch to 5K plan.  Ran my first 5K ever about a month ago doing about 12 minute miles.  I'm almost to a 10-minute mile in training now.  I have my first sprint tri tomorrow at Marineland, Florida.  I'm 53 years old, a middle school science teacher, married with 3 children and 2 in-law children, as well as 3 grandchildren.  I've enjoyed training quite a bit.  Got my daughter into it with me.  She was supposed to do this tri tomorrow with me but had to cut back on training for a bit because of a health problem.  So now I'm doing it by myself.  Frankly, I feel a little nervous.

My goals for this year:  I'm signed up for two more sprints this summer and hopefully I'll find a couple more.  I'm doing another 5K next weekend and hope to be cIose to 10-minute miles.  I also have a goal of doing a 10K this fall.  Hopefully next year I'd like to do some olympic races as well as a half marathon.  Also still hoping to lose that other 15 lbs.

2010-04-17 7:22 AM
in reply to: #2797962

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
WOW again!  We have blossomed overnight and I think it's time to shut 'er down.  Welcome to a few more:

JenMcConnell - Jen
PTWykes - Marsha
wrkinprogress - Alex
wsilverthorne - wilson
tstl - Tammy
dajotkjo - Denise

Right now that is 13 in the group and there may be one or two more who have contacted me but haven't posted here yet.    So I am going to close us down!
2010-04-17 7:24 AM
in reply to: #2797987

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Oops, one more:

peggyf - Peggy (I'm assuming?)  she must have posted just as I closed us out, but welcome!
2010-04-17 7:36 AM
in reply to: #2797989

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
So welcome everyone to the MMM group (Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group!).  Once I get the entire list settled, I will post a list that will link you to everyone's logs.

Speaking of logs, if you don't use them, I hope you start.  I'm a data freak, so I love 'em.  Love to see those bar graphs grow through the week with the pretty green, yellow and purple colors...  Plus that is the place you will go to check your inspires from me and hopefully others in the group. 

Speaking of inspires, I have found that the more you inspire others, the more you GET inspired and trust me, those inspires are what keep you going when things get hard. 

It seems we are all fairly new at this, a lot of weight loss goals and lots of progress already!  Lots of expertise at different sports too, which will help if we all chime in with our experiences when we have questions.  I am looking forward to getting to know all of you!!
2010-04-17 8:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED

very cool of you to start a mentor group hilde...you'll be great!!

for all of you who joined...you're in great hands. hilde will absolutely hold you accountable and motivate you to get yourself going!!

good luck to you all and great job hilde!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41