Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2010-06-09 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2801642

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Subject: RE: Brian's group - FULL
Erica,  I think you can do a HIM whenever you can commit the time to training for one.  I know I could not have done one when I was 19 because I didn't have the self discipline to do so.  But if you can find a plan and have the time and moxi then go for it.  You never know how many tomorrows you have left.

2010-06-09 7:51 PM

User image

Expert
Amber,

Congrats on the new bike!
2010-06-09 9:18 PM
in reply to: #2912202

User image

Nashville, TN
crazyalaskian - 2010-06-09 7:51 PM Amber,

Congrats on the new bike!

Thanks!  I am very excited Laughing
2010-06-10 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2909343

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
IronCowgirl - 2010-06-08 5:53 PM I need some advice. This summer I will be working a job where I have to get up at 5:45 in the mornings and don't get to bed until 11:00 at night. I'm working with horses all day (bucking hay, saddling, fencework too) and entertaining kids in the evening, so I'm not going to have much leftover energy. I have one day off per week and I can usually count on having a free hour somewhere in the day. I want to keep in shape without totally wearing myself out, so I was thinking about doing a long workout on my day off (either cycling or running) and short, intense workouts during the week. Any ideas?

Also, someday I want to do a HIM. I'm not sure when in the near future I would have time to train for something like that, but I was wondering if I should wait a few years anyway. I'm nineteen, and I know that people my age can do HIM and IM but I was wondering how advisable it was. Any insight? Thanks

Re: summer work + workouts ... the watch word for all of this is 'consistency' in one of the three sports.  Consistency will continue to build your aerobic engine, inconsistency will allow it sputter down.

My recommendation would be to focus on running. You can get a lot of ftiness accomplished in a 45 minute run. There are running programs out there but suffice it to say that each will have you varying your pace for daily runs and one long slow distance run per week. Each will also follow the  axiom that you always go super-light the first run after your long run).

If you do not want to get too formal then just try to vary your pace with each of the daily run (slow one day, fast the next, medium the day after) and then always run less than 'medium' for your long distance runs.

Your long distance runs ahould progress in distance by about 5 percent ... but never more than 10%. Take one day off per week from running (this will allow your body to absorb the training and therefore make you faster, stronger, better).

The good news is that there ought to be a lot of soft surfaces and trails to run on.

Add in a swim and bike when you can for cross training but focus on developing your run.

By the end of the summer, you will be a running machine with an aerobic engine ready for anything ... including getting back on the bike and in the water for training for a HIM.  If you do one in the 20 yr old age group after spending hte summer swimming, I am betting that you will stand a good chance to qualify for Clearwater (<= not an exageration).

PS: Did I mention consistency?  It is consistency that will rev up your metabolism while building your engine.

2010-06-12 5:38 AM
in reply to: #2900468

User image

Veteran

Quick update - running technique.

So I'm half way through the "Chi Running" book. The main points I'd take away from it so far are:

(1) As brian said - posture should be straight (but relaxed) and you should tilt the body forward, with the pivot point being the ankles. This seems to be pretty key to Chi Running (and a number of other running techniques I gather). The logic is that if you're body is tilted forward from low pivot point, you are effectively "falling" forward, so gravity is doing the running for you and all you have to do is lift your feet off the ground (cool huh).

(2) Foot should land directly under hips - never in front of the body, as this would be (a) effectively acting as a brake and (b) causing jarring which can lead to injury.

(3) There is a walking exercise in the book where the author suggests walking around the room normally, then walking around lifting feet off the ground and tilting forward slightly. This takes you OFF the balls of your feet. He then goes on to say that running on the balls of your feet increases the work that the calf muscles are having to do, and that the calf muscles shouldn't be being used to run. So far there has been no direct discussion in the book of which part of your foot should be striking the ground, but this seems a pretty large suggestion that it shouldn't be the balls of your feet. Interestingly last week I was actively trying to run on the balls of my feet, and I had a lot of calf muscle pain afterward (I couldn't walk up stairs, the muscles were sore to the touch, and they took about four days to recover). So I am buying into this. The author (Danny Dreyer) also often refers to how the Kenyans run, and points out that they don't have big muscular calf muscles!

(4)Back to the tilt... The degree of your tilt, and the length of stride should determine your speed - not your cadence which should remain fairly constant (suggestion is 85-90). So to go faster tilt further forward (from the ankles, not at the waist). He refers to this tilt as your "accelerator"

(5) Legs should be relaxed. After strike it looks like legs bend at the knee to about a 90 degree angle.

I've only posted this now as I'm not certain how long it will take me to finish the book, and some of the advice from the book is different to what I had said I was trying in the earlier post.

If you are interested this is a link to a web page that has a small/short video of "good" Chi Running. It should start automatically (note that the website is in Dutch). http://www.loopblessurevrij.nl/

And the book is worth having a read of.

Cheers,

Rod.

Edited by Rod1 2010-06-12 5:41 AM
2010-06-14 12:54 AM
in reply to: #2917166

User image

Nashville, TN
Thanks Rod for the cliff notes version Laughing

2010-06-14 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2919313

User image

Veteran
No problem - I should add a couple of bits more:

Arms - Arms swing like a pendulum bent 90 degrees at the elbow, shoulders should be soft. But the big key (in Chi Running anyway) is that they should swing behind you not in front of you "you should be trying to elbow someone behind you not punch someone in front", I worked on this today (running my fastest 5km so far - and with no calf muscle pain) and found it seemed to naturally help with leaning forward, and with ensuring footfall isn't in front of the body and helped with the stride ...

...Stride should be behind you not in front. So as running bend at the knees to lift foot off the ground, with foot coming up behind you (like kicking your backside - but not that high), as you lengthen your stride you do so behind you - not in front.
2010-06-14 1:24 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Wow ... Rod, fantastic write-up.  Thanks for posting.

I believe there is a section on running up and down hills. Have you come to that part yet?
2010-06-15 5:42 AM

User image

Nashville, TN
My husband bought me the "insanity" workout videos trying to be helpful with my training.  I must say that they are titled appropriately. They are hard core interval training, and resistance training.  They are all of the lovely exercises that our high school coaches made us do only you can now do them in the privacy of your own home!  Highlights so far... Suicide drills, "around the world's", high knees, push up jacks, mountian climbers, and so many more I can't even mention.  I highly recommend them.  I couldn't even talk in part of it the intensity was so high.  I think they will definitely help on my running endurance.....
2010-06-15 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2922023

User image

Expert

outtashape momma - 2010-06-15 6:42 AM My husband bought me the "insanity" workout videos trying to be helpful with my training.  I must say that they are titled appropriately. They are hard core interval training, and resistance training.  They are all of the lovely exercises that our high school coaches made us do only you can now do them in the privacy of your own home!  Highlights so far... Suicide drills, "around the world's", high knees, push up jacks, mountian climbers, and so many more I can't even mention.  I highly recommend them.  I couldn't even talk in part of it the intensity was so high.  I think they will definitely help on my running endurance.....

That's really cool.  I wouldn't do them them more than 2 x or so a week as they may take too much out of your for you to get the tri specific training you need in.  I think they'll mainly help with speed.  You can do the whole program during the winter though and it does look really cool but it'll definitely require discipline to make yourself suffer in solitude.  Good luck!

2010-06-15 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2922228

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
x2 what Katie said ... intervals during the week are a greeat way to build speed but they need to happen in moderation as it is the slow, steady long distances that not only build endurance but the base upon which the speed works from.

That said, wow - you go, girl!  You are really rocking it out with not only consistent training but adding new exercises to the mix.  

Question: can you feel the progress you have already made since you started the training? 

(
crazyalaskian - 2010-06-15 9:00 AM

outtashape momma - 2010-06-15 6:42 AM My husband bought me the "insanity" workout videos trying to be helpful with my training.  I must say that they are titled appropriately. They are hard core interval training, and resistance training.  They are all of the lovely exercises that our high school coaches made us do only you can now do them in the privacy of your own home!  Highlights so far... Suicide drills, "around the world's", high knees, push up jacks, mountian climbers, and so many more I can't even mention.  I highly recommend them.  I couldn't even talk in part of it the intensity was so high.  I think they will definitely help on my running endurance.....

That's really cool.  I wouldn't do them them more than 2 x or so a week as they may take too much out of your for you to get the tri specific training you need in.  I think they'll mainly help with speed.  You can do the whole program during the winter though and it does look really cool but it'll definitely require discipline to make yourself suffer in solitude.  Good luck!

2010-06-15 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2922296

User image

Nashville, TN
brian - 2010-06-15 8:20 AM x2 what Katie said ... intervals during the week are a greeat way to build speed but they need to happen in moderation as it is the slow, steady long distances that not only build endurance but the base upon which the speed works from.

That said, wow - you go, girl!  You are really rocking it out with not only consistent training but adding new exercises to the mix.  

Question: can you feel the progress you have already made since you started the training?  QUOTE]
 Oh yes... I have come a VERY long way since the beginning.  I almost feel like a different person.   It is pretty amazing how quickly your body adapts to it.  I have done a lot of things that I never imagined myself doing. I think it is great.  I am sure I would schedule myself for a lot more things, but I work everyweekend.  I am only allowed to take 4 off a year.  I am waiting to go to through the week, but the unit I work in is great & no one ever leaves unless they go to Anesthesia school.  So hopefully someone wants to go to school soon :-).
 I really do appreciate all the tips and help.  I think it really helps, especially when you don't know many people who are in to this, and your friends think you are crazy!

Amber
2010-06-15 8:32 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Amber, I friends no long think I am crazy ... they believe it - and most are used to it by now!

Speaking of crazy, Ironman Coeur d'Alene bib numbers were announced today; my bib number is 1254.  Race is less than two weeks away ... (yikes!)
2010-06-16 2:07 AM
in reply to: #2924196

User image

Veteran
Bib number 1254 - how many in the race? At least you haven't gone crazy alone - sounds more like group hysteria!! And if those of us training for regular distance are mad, then the Iron(wo)men in the group are well into darkside of the moon territory!
2010-06-16 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2924470

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
There will be about 2250-2500 athletes on the course at any given time ... including the swim.  Ironman is unique from many triathlon formats are there is a mass group start of every participant when the starting gun goes off.

Here is a video of a previous year's start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUVL0hkVp2k

Here is how I trained for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk&feature=player_embedded

Rod1 - 2010-06-16 3:07 AM Bib number 1254 - how many in the race? At least you haven't gone crazy alone - sounds more like group hysteria!! And if those of us training for regular distance are mad, then the Iron(wo)men in the group are well into darkside of the moon territory!
2010-06-17 1:56 AM
in reply to: #2925866

User image

Veteran

Brilliant! Love it! (re: the You Tube clips)

Edited by Rod1 2010-06-17 1:58 AM

2010-06-17 2:12 PM

User image

Nashville, TN
All I can say is the first clip I was in awe.... That many people going in the water at one time is just amazing!

The 2nd clip was absolutely hilarious!!!!! I laughed so hard!!
2010-06-18 10:59 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Okay, guys, what is on tap for the weekend?

I have an open water swim in the morning, followed by a medium sized ride and then a quick transition run to test my nutrition.

2010-06-18 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
I have to work.  Frown  So Sat. I am going to ride my bike to work and run around a bit while the irrigation is going.  Did I mention it's 90 miles round trip? Smile   Sunday, I just plan on doing some light jogging at work, but I will drive my truck, then driving to Tulsa to see my dad for Father's Day.
2010-06-19 8:58 PM

User image

Expert
Holy cow that "training" video was hilarious!  Good thing Louisville is a time trial start (You definitely could shove that many people off of two docks at the same time).

You've made it to taper!  Hooray!  I've got a 2.5 hr run tomorrow morning and an open water swim. 
2010-06-21 9:24 AM
in reply to: #2930458

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
90 miles in the Oklahoma heat is not something to take lightly!  Good on you for seeing you dad for Father's Day.

ray6foot7 - 2010-06-18 1:27 PM I have to work.  Frown  So Sat. I am going to ride my bike to work and run around a bit while the irrigation is going.  Did I mention it's 90 miles round trip? Smile   Sunday, I just plan on doing some light jogging at work, but I will drive my truck, then driving to Tulsa to see my dad for Father's Day.

2010-06-21 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2930251

User image

Veteran
oops...weekend is over! But did a 43k bike on Sat morning followed by a 15 minute run. Sunday....rest day.
2010-06-22 2:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Question re: swimming goggles.

I have a new pair of Aqua Sphere goggles (I think its the "vista" - anyway has a large skirt). I used them in the ocean last night, and they worked brilliantly....Until they started to fog slightly, and I released the seal to let some water in to clear the lenses, then put them back on properly. After this I couldn't get them to seal again, which meant I was having to stop to empty them about every 10 strokes.

Is it the case that these goggles seal much better when they are dry? And it is difficult to get a good seal when skin and goggle skirt is wet? Therefore live with the fog, but DON'T take them off in the water? Would body glide on face, or goggle skirt help or hinder a seal? Any advice v.welcome. Leaking goggles would be infuriating in a race.

Edited by Rod1 2010-06-22 2:35 AM
2010-06-22 3:56 AM

User image

Nashville, TN

ok.. I had technical difficulties.. Broken Laptop.. New one purchased Laughing.  The weekend is over... Plans for this week...

swim...bike...run.  I have to get some later morning bikings in so I will be acclimated for the heat when the race comes in August.... I am going to just have to suck it up and do it....

Rod...I don't know anything about seal in goggles, but my training partner says to put a few drops of contact solution in them before use, and it keeps them from fogging. I had fogging issues previously, and don't anymore.

2010-06-22 7:28 AM
in reply to: #2935873

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Leaking goggles are the worst!  Not sure why they would not seal again after you cleared them in the water. One reason could be sunscreen that made the goggles slippery against the skin ... another is that they may not fit your face that well?

Try this: with your head straight or slightly bent forward put the goggles up to your face/eye sockets with the strap dangling down (not around your head. Press in slightly.  Do they create a small suction and "stick" for a short, brief period of time before they fall off?  If so then they fit ...

For fogging, don't even bother with the expensive specialty 'anti-fogging' solutions sold in swim shops out there ... just spit in them, run it around and rinse.

ETA: I had not heard about the contact solution trick ... that just might work!

Rod1 - 2010-06-22 3:34 AM Question re: swimming goggles.

I have a new pair of Aqua Sphere goggles (I think its the "vista" - anyway has a large skirt). I used them in the ocean last night, and they worked brilliantly....Until they started to fog slightly, and I released the seal to let some water in to clear the lenses, then put them back on properly. After this I couldn't get them to seal again, which meant I was having to stop to empty them about every 10 strokes.

Is it the case that these goggles seal much better when they are dry? And it is difficult to get a good seal when skin and goggle skirt is wet? Therefore live with the fog, but DON'T take them off in the water? Would body glide on face, or goggle skirt help or hinder a seal? Any advice v.welcome. Leaking goggles would be infuriating in a race.

Edited by brian 2010-06-22 7:30 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 13