BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-05 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3256072

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED

Congratulations everyone on the excellent times! I am still trying to shake off the jet lag, but hope to get it done before this weekend and the snow that is on the way! I am not looking forward to my times, I will be running on some hilly terrain and I haven't seen a hill in several month's.
good luck to everyone nursing injuries, I hope that you have a speedy recovery!!

2011-01-05 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
I noticed that some of you have the forum link in your Dashboards, can you tell me how you did that? I posted it in mine but it is not a hyperlink.

Thanks
Dan
2011-01-05 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3281004

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Mountaindan - 2011-01-05 8:44 PM

Congratulations everyone on the excellent times! I am still trying to shake off the jet lag, but hope to get it done before this weekend and the snow that is on the way! I am not looking forward to my times, I will be running on some hilly terrain and I haven't seen a hill in several month's.
good luck to everyone nursing injuries, I hope that you have a speedy recovery!!

Thank you Dan!  I think it will take at least another week for me to be able to walk without crutches. Undecided

The way I added the link was by pressing “links” on the right side of the log page, and then selected blog links.  Copy and paste the link and that’s it.  But that will get your link to one side of the log, not right at the center.

You’ll get used to your homeland again in no time!  You’ll see…

I also hope you recover from jetlag very soon.  Smile

2011-01-06 6:42 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Welcome back, Dan!

Question for everyone -- what do you eat for snacks during the day? I do try the 5/6 smaller meals approach to eating, but I have to say I could eat constantly all day and probably not feel satisfied. My appetite is ridiculous. At the office, I have a few things to munch on -- almonds, some fruit, hummis, some granola bars, etc, but I'm looking for some other suggestions. Note: I can't stand most raw veggies.
2011-01-06 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3280945

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Mike_D - 2011-01-05 9:17 PM
croixfan - 2011-01-05 7:52 PM
otisbrown - 2011-01-05 8:17 AM
croixfan - 2011-01-04 8:43 PM Couldn't drag myself to the gym this AM, but did stop at the pool on the way home.  Took my time and worked on some drills and swimming easy.  I'm getting much more comfortable in the water / could actually keep my arm extended while breathing today.  Long way to go, but optimistic that it's getting better.

Curt,

What kind of drills did you do?  Do you have any  links to sites with drills you can share?

Prior to last year I'd never swam -- I could survive, but first time in the pool I could not make 25 yards.  I still am a very poor swimmer; HOWEVER, I'm getting there and my self-confidence is improving with each passing day.  One thing I have found is that this is not a linear process.  Last year I actually took some lessons and after four weeks I could NOT swim -- bizarre, but true.  A few weeks later it came back.  I've also noticed that you experience moments where you "get it".  These are the times where you feel balanced, you rotate your body to generate a ton of power, and breathing is effortless.  At first they come infrequently.  With time, they have gotten more and more common (I can actually go all out for 25 meters/yards now and feel like this!).

I've also noticed that swimming's a lot like golf.  The harder you try, the worse it goes.  You need to do the opposite of what you think (push down on your chest to float).  And great times are followed by terrible.  That said, we need to realize we are not pros and relax and enjoy the experience.

^^  THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS -- Excellent post -- as good as anything I've read on BT about starting to swim. I've just started as well (july 2010) and agree with the above completely. My "A-ha!" moments have come in the last 6-8 weeks, and its amazing how one day you feel like you can just keep going and going. The golf analogy is spot on.

Keep at it - it will come, and you'll be finding those moments where it all clicks.

I agree 100%.  The best thing I ever read regarding swimming was to slow down.  Even now, with some modestest gains, when I try to swim faster, I am only about 2 secs faster and much more out of breath. 

2011-01-06 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3264344

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Boston Beginner - 2010-12-28 11:39 AM

So here is the fancy table I have in my log.  Here is how to add to yours.

1. Click on edit on the upper left hand corner of your dashboard.

2. On the tool bar, there is a button for html, click it.  It's next to the question mark symbol.

3.  In the new window, scroll to the bottom and add this code- NOTE: Remove the 2 ** before and after code.

**<table style="margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;" border="6" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" bgcolor="blue" background="http://www.indigoimage.com/blog/images/winter_graphic.gif">
<tbody style="text-align: left;">
<tr style="text-align: left;">
<td style="width: 214px; text-align: center;" valign="bottom">
<div style="text-align: center;"><span style="color: #000000;"><strong>Boston Beginner&rsquo;s &ldquo;Really Beginners&rdquo;<br /></strong></span></div>
<div style="text-align: center;"><span style="color: #000000;"><strong><a href="../forums/thread-view.asp?tid=202757"><span style="color: #000000;">Mentor Group</span></a></strong></span></div>
<hr />
<div style="text-align: left;"><a href="index.asp?memberid=91709">Boston Beginner - Josh</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=188323">Ail - Ailie</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=45353">billytrek - Bill</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=165398">crlarner - Chris</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=170134">croixfan - Curt</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=207989">DP120107 - Dan</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=215987">itziaol - Itzia</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=180324">jpbis26 - Jackie</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=195571">Mike_D - Mike</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=194898">mountaindan - Dan</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=216523">otisbrown - Marcus</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=217296">playmobil31 - Alex</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=140947">utahrunner - Sterling</a></div>
<hr />
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
<tbody style="text-align: left;">
</tbody>
</table>**

Boston Beginner’s “Really Beginners”

4. Click ok.

Here you go Dan.

Edited by Boston Beginner 2011-01-06 7:59 AM

2011-01-06 8:02 AM

User image

Smithtown, Long Island, NY
For snacks, other than what you listed, I generally eat pretzels, salsa, bananas, apples, raisins and grapes. These are items that'll work for a office environment.
2011-01-06 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3280893

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
crlarner - 2011-01-05 8:59 PM

lol. Spinning is an a## kicker stationary bike routine lead by a trainer that is built by a brick-s##t house that tells you you are not working hard enough and you need to increase the tension on the bike you pansy! No, seriously, it is a class workout routine that involves intervals on a special kind of stationary bike. It is set to music, usually techno, and it is a pretty good workout. You work your tail off.

Excellent Laughing
I can exactly picture it Wink

2011-01-06 8:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountaindan - 2011-01-05 9:44 PM

Thanks Dan and good luck with your hills
2011-01-06 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3280880

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
croixfan - 2011-01-05 8:52 PM
otisbrown - 2011-01-05 8:17 AM
croixfan - 2011-01-04 8:43 PM Couldn't drag myself to the gym this AM, but did stop at the pool on the way home.  Took my time and worked on some drills and swimming easy.  I'm getting much more comfortable in the water / could actually keep my arm extended while breathing today.  Long way to go, but optimistic that it's getting better.

Curt,

What kind of drills did you do?  Do you have any  links to sites with drills you can share?

Marcus I've got 3 different TI videos -- Freestyle, 10 Lessons, and Breathing + the book (have a fourth video on open water swimming that I have yet to watch).  They start you with "superman gliding" -- just pushing off with your arms extended.  Then they move to "skating" where you have an arm extende, the other back on your hip, and "off" your stomach (think of the body at 45 degrees).  Then they work on having you "roll" to where you have your face up in what they call "sweet spot" where you grab a breath.  The basic ideas of the early drills are to teach you how to relax and get balanced in the water.  It's hard to do them justice / the video works really well.  Of the videos, I think the 10 Lessons one is the best.  However, they're each about $20-$30 so I'd encourage you to watch them.

Prior to last year I'd never swam -- I could survive, but first time in the pool I could not make 25 yards.  I still am a very poor swimmer; HOWEVER, I'm getting there and my self-confidence is improving with each passing day.  One thing I have found is that this is not a linear process.  Last year I actually took some lessons and after four weeks I could NOT swim -- bizarre, but true.  A few weeks later it came back.  I've also noticed that you experience moments where you "get it".  These are the times where you feel balanced, you rotate your body to generate a ton of power, and breathing is effortless.  At first they come infrequently.  With time, they have gotten more and more common (I can actually go all out for 25 meters/yards now and feel like this!).

I've also noticed that swimming's a lot like golf.  The harder you try, the worse it goes.  You need to do the opposite of what you think (push down on your chest to float).  And great times are followed by terrible.  That said, we need to realize we are not pros and relax and enjoy the experience.

Hope some of this helps.  Feel free to drop me a PM if you have something specific or toss the thoughts out here and we can all see how we might be able to help.

Thank you Curt,
That explanation is very helpful and the golf analogy completely makes sense to me.   The only time I hit a good ball is when I am relaxed and not thinking about it, other wise I am in the woods or hitting shot two from somewhere around the womans tee box.   
I will certainly keep at and keep working with drills, watching videos, etc. 
2011-01-06 8:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
Mountaindan - 2011-01-05 9:44 PM

Glad to have you back Dan! 

2011-01-06 9:04 AM
in reply to: #3281391

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
Mike_D - 2011-01-06 7:42 AM Welcome back, Dan!

Question for everyone -- what do you eat for snacks during the day? I do try the 5/6 smaller meals approach to eating, but I have to say I could eat constantly all day and probably not feel satisfied. My appetite is ridiculous. At the office, I have a few things to munch on -- almonds, some fruit, hummis, some granola bars, etc, but I'm looking for some other suggestions. Note: I can't stand most raw veggies.

I pretty much each 3-4 fruits a day, while I am at work.  My lunch is typically a turkey sandwich, with a fruit.  I still find myself getting hungry throughout the day especially with the extra training.  However, I have found that if I continuously eat more than that I slowly begin to put on weight. 
2011-01-06 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3281391

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Mike_D - 2011-01-06 6:42 AM Welcome back, Dan!

Nibbling something is not allowed in the diet I’m doing.  Instead you have 5 meals a day.  Two of them are balanced snacks that contain carbs, protein and fat.  Balancing them helps me control my big appetite.  I take one snack to work.  But the truth is that I tend to get so hungry in the morning that instead of a snack it is a second breakfast.  In Mexico lunchtime is at 3:30pm (at home in my case) and it's the main meal of the day.  For some ideas have a look at my log, "snacks" they are the second and last meals of the day.  I hope I will gradually be able to provide more examples, although I’m not very creative when it comes to food.  It’s nicer just to eat it!

I’m registering things very thoroughly at the moment, I hope I can keep it up.  Having said that, some of the things I eat are kind of local because of the weather, but you can substitute them by fruits that are available in your locality.  I’m trying to eat the kind of food you find in the sections that surround the central allies in a supermarket, i.e. fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, fish, meat, poultry, dairy, etc.  Next time you are in a supermarket see what you find in those sections that look appetizing, healthy and would be practical to take to work.

I hope this is useful.

I've lost 4 pounds so far this week, the first 5 or 6 are always quick.  Then I should lose max 2 per week.  Smile

Have a good day everybody!

Edited by itziaol 2011-01-06 10:18 AM
2011-01-06 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Itzia, et. al - thanks for the input. I just need to get to the store and explore. I like the comment about shopping around the sides of the grocery store. Its one of the first things I read on BT when I started here last summer. Great advice, and I use it all the time when I shop. I guess I'm just in a bit of a rut w/ food, and am looking to break the boredom.

Funny is that I've been the same weight for nearly 2 months, but I've lost nearly 2 inches off my waist during that time. I'm guessing if I keep the eating in check, and get my workouts ramping up as I have been, I'll start to lose a few more pounds. I find logging meals on the BT tool to be really frustrating & laborious, so maybe I'll need to keep a separate log of what I eat.
2011-01-06 10:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Swim drill - a drill i like to do is "close fist drill".  Its a regular freestyle swim with a hands close up in a fist.  It make me learn to "feel" the water on my forearm.  

Snacks -  since most morning I have oatmeal & coffee.  So my mid morning snack I want to get some protein in.  So I have two hard boil eggs (I have one of those machine that cook it, so it perfect in the break room office). 
2011-01-06 10:46 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
In honor of new bike day, I've changed my avatar to show off the new baby

2011-01-06 11:09 AM

User image

Athens, GA
OK I am back at work and back on track for training. So I have been reading all the pages of notes since I last logged in. Wow some of you are crazy great runners, and all look to be doing really well on your respective plans. Congrats to all. So here is my silly question. The time trials spreadsheet, where do I find it. I am going to do my run one today. I hope it will all give you a great laugh to look at tomorrow!  5K on the treadmill at 1% incline here I come (after work). I need to find a course outside that is free of traffic, lights, and college students trying to text/drive and not looking at say the people on the sidewalk........
2011-01-06 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3282195

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Ail - 2011-01-06 11:09 AM OK I am back at work and back on track for training. So I have been reading all the pages of notes since I last logged in. Wow some of you are crazy great runners, and all look to be doing really well on your respective plans. Congrats to all. So here is my silly question. The time trials spreadsheet, where do I find it. I am going to do my run one today. I hope it will all give you a great laugh to look at tomorrow!  5K on the treadmill at 1% incline here I come (after work). I need to find a course outside that is free of traffic, lights, and college students trying to text/drive and not looking at say the people on the sidewalk........

Give it he11, Ail!

LOL @ the college students comment. I'd have thought drunken gamblers would be LV's biggest hazard??
2011-01-06 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3282195

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
Ail - 2011-01-06 12:09 PM OK I am back at work and back on track for training. So I have been reading all the pages of notes since I last logged in. Wow some of you are crazy great runners, and all look to be doing really well on your respective plans. Congrats to all. So here is my silly question. The time trials spreadsheet, where do I find it. I am going to do my run one today. I hope it will all give you a great laugh to look at tomorrow!  5K on the treadmill at 1% incline here I come (after work). I need to find a course outside that is free of traffic, lights, and college students trying to text/drive and not looking at say the people on the sidewalk........

Ail,
The spreadsheet is something BB was putting together.  Everyone has just posted their times to the forum.  
 Good luck tonight, I'm sure you will keel it. 
2011-01-06 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3282729

User image

Athens, GA
Mike_D - 2011-01-06 3:17 PM
Ail - 2011-01-06 11:09 AM OK I am back at work and back on track for training. So I have been reading all the pages of notes since I last logged in. Wow some of you are crazy great runners, and all look to be doing really well on your respective plans. Congrats to all. So here is my silly question. The time trials spreadsheet, where do I find it. I am going to do my run one today. I hope it will all give you a great laugh to look at tomorrow!  5K on the treadmill at 1% incline here I come (after work). I need to find a course outside that is free of traffic, lights, and college students trying to text/drive and not looking at say the people on the sidewalk........

Give it he11, Ail!

LOL @ the college students comment. I'd have thought drunken gamblers would be LV's biggest hazard??

I am actually in Athens, GA home of the University of Georgia and the always fun Bulldawg Nation (yes it is spelled that way intentionally). I also happen to work at the University, so I get to play "avoid death" on a daily basis. When the kids are gone, like now, all the "locals" do dances of joy each time they get into their cars.......and it takes 15 min less to get anywhere, regardless of destination or distance with them gone.....

Another dumb question. This getting back to work thing is killing my brain. How do I leave inspires? I am having a senior moment!  

Edited by Ail 2011-01-06 2:58 PM
2011-01-06 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3282785

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

otisbrown - 2011-01-06 3:39 PM
Ail - 2011-01-06 12:09 PM OK I am back at work and back on track for training. So I have been reading all the pages of notes since I last logged in. Wow some of you are crazy great runners, and all look to be doing really well on your respective plans. Congrats to all. So here is my silly question. The time trials spreadsheet, where do I find it. I am going to do my run one today. I hope it will all give you a great laugh to look at tomorrow!  5K on the treadmill at 1% incline here I come (after work). I need to find a course outside that is free of traffic, lights, and college students trying to text/drive and not looking at say the people on the sidewalk........

Ail,
The spreadsheet is something BB was putting together.  Everyone has just posted their times to the forum.  
 Good luck tonight, I'm sure you will keel it. 

Yes, it's 100% my fault.  I promise I will do it soon.  The first 2 weeks after the end of the calendar quarter is my busiest time.  Bear with me for one more week.

2011-01-06 8:34 PM
in reply to: #3282820

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Ail - 2011-01-06 3:52 PM
Mike_D - 2011-01-06 3:17 PM

Give it he11, Ail!

I am actually in Athens, GA home of the University of Georgia and the always fun Bulldawg Nation (yes it is spelled that way intentionally). I also happen to work at the University, so I get to play "avoid death" on a daily basis. When the kids are gone, like now, all the "locals" do dances of joy each time they get into their cars.......and it takes 15 min less to get anywhere, regardless of destination or distance with them gone.....

Another dumb question. This getting back to work thing is killing my brain. How do I leave inspires? I am having a senior moment!  

Go to a person's log and hit the inspire button on the upper right hand side of their daily log.

2011-01-06 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3283489

User image

Athens, GA
Boston Beginner - 2011-01-06 9:33 PM

Yes, it's 100% my fault.  I promise I will do it soon.  The first 2 weeks after the end of the calendar quarter is my busiest time.  Bear with me for one more week.

No worries, I totally understand.  The first few weeks of the new year I am wicked swamped in grant applications. 
2011-01-06 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3282095

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mike_D - 2011-01-06 11:46 AM In honor of new bike day, I've changed my avatar to show off the new baby

Nice avatar Wink

So, just did my 1st swim workout tonight... exhausted !!! Tongue out but feeling good after. 1,200y in 50 minutes... not bad as a start... Wink  but bad idea to do a strenght workout just before... Laughing
2011-01-06 10:17 PM
in reply to: #3280853

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
otisbrown - 2011-01-05 7:32 PM

I have a few questions about bike training.  What does spinning mean?  To me all motion on a bike is spinning.  So what is meant by the term? 
Also when using the stationary bike what level should it be set to or how do you determine the appropriate level?

Spinning to me means putting your bike in an easier gear and increasing your rpms. In other words, the resistance is easier and your legs are going around faster. On the road, you would do this when you are going up a hill. You would get out of your big ring "spin" up the hill by moving your legs fast, as opposed to staying in the big ring and pushing a hard gear at a lower rpm. Spinning is good idea when you are climbing a big hill because you can keep a steady rpm. However, if it's a short hill, you may want to jump out of the saddle and stay in the big ring.

Like someone else mentioned, "Spinning" is also a class at the gym done on a stationary bike. Spin classes are usually a good cardio/calorie burning workout. But I don't necessarily think they help you improve your cycling, as they do a lot of things that you would never do on the road.

In a trainer workout, if they want you to spin, they want you to try and move your legs fast (higher rpm). You should have some resistance on the bike, but so much that you can't spin your legs quickly. I wear a heart rate monitor when I ride and go off of that to judge how hard I'm working. If my heart rate is too low, I try and spin faster and up the resistance a little. I try and make it feel like I am riding up a slight incline and trying to push the pace.

Hope this is helpful

Edited by jpbis26 2011-01-06 10:24 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38