BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2011-01-23 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3316653

User image

Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED
hippotude - 2011-01-23 4:19 PM 
Yes, I will be running the Houston Half Marathon with Tif.  

Good luck to both of you!!!   I had my sister-in-law talked into running it with me, but it was sold out by the time we decided to register.

2011-01-23 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3315982

User image

Regular
DaveL - 2011-01-23 6:58 AM
thndrcloud - 2011-01-22 4:15 PM

Am I supposed to be swimming blind? 

Yup, pretty much.. why do you think they paint black lines on the bottom of the pool?

And the "T" shows that you're near the end. I'm not much for swim knowledge but I'm sure looking ahead maybe half way through the length of the pool is ok, but its best to keep the head down especially if having it up sacrifices form.
2011-01-23 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3256799

Master
Montgomery, Tx
It has been a few days for me, but I am still here.  I rode some of the IMTX curse Saturday again to try and redem myself.  I felt much better, having my normal infinit and cliff bar with me.  I keep comparing my rides to the end of October, but I need to remember I was peaking at that point for my HIM.  I am thinking of adding another ride during the week or adding time to my tuesday and dropping the brick run.  The only reason I am thinking of dropping a run (15-30 min brick) is because I am faster now than I have ever been.  To me it will not matter come Im time if I am not fresh off the bike.  Allthough If I pace right I can come off good and have a good run (maybe).

During my ride I got passed and later I cought up with him.  I have NEVER rode with anyone and it was nice to have a chat while keeping pace.  Come to find out he flew in from Ney York to run and ride the course.  That is some serious dedication. 

M
2011-01-24 6:41 AM
in reply to: #3315406

User image

Tyler,
grownassman161 - 2011-01-22 3:18 PM Super bowl tri...
Its an easy one in my hometown of sarasota, going to register for it soon.
400 pool swim, 12 mile bike, 2.2 run.
They target the whole race to beginners so I figure its a good way to get my feet wet.

haha the superbowl is in Dallas.

Good luck, let me know if you need any tips!
2011-01-24 6:44 AM
in reply to: #3315449

User image

Tyler,
thndrcloud - 2011-01-22 4:15 PM I got lucky and my doctor's appointment (just a routine check-up) got moved up to yesterday and he was able to look at my toe.  He said everything looks fine and he wouldn't have known anything was wrong if I hadn't mentioned it.  No need to see anyone else or get xrays and I'm good to start back as soon as there's no more pain.  So yay!  It's been 4 weeks so I'm optimistic that 2 weeks from now, at the latest, I should be able to go for a run.

So here's my swim quandry...If I keep my nose pointing at the pool floor my hips and legs stay at the surface of the water which lets me glide and swim much faster.  I just can't see anything in front of me.  If I begin to tilt my head forward everything starts dropping.  The greater the angle of my head the greater the degree my legs drop.

Am I supposed to be swimming blind?  Should I have to sight in order to see feet in front of me?  Will practice teach my body to keep the hips up regardless of my head position?

You are a right on!!! keep looking at the bottom of the pool, for sighting you will need to practice of only just getting your eyes out of the water then rolling  to catch the breath. I have struggled with this as well.
2011-01-24 6:47 AM
in reply to: #3317030

User image

Tyler,
TriPatrick - 2011-01-23 8:03 PM It has been a few days for me, but I am still here.  I rode some of the IMTX curse Saturday again to try and redem myself.  I felt much better, having my normal infinit and cliff bar with me.  I keep comparing my rides to the end of October, but I need to remember I was peaking at that point for my HIM.  I am thinking of adding another ride during the week or adding time to my tuesday and dropping the brick run.  The only reason I am thinking of dropping a run (15-30 min brick) is because I am faster now than I have ever been.  To me it will not matter come Im time if I am not fresh off the bike.  Allthough If I pace right I can come off good and have a good run (maybe).

During my ride I got passed and later I cought up with him.  I have NEVER rode with anyone and it was nice to have a chat while keeping pace.  Come to find out he flew in from Ney York to run and ride the course.  That is some serious dedication. 

M

That guy has some serious money to do that!!

Keep up the good work Patrick. I am struggling right now to get back to where I left off too. Guys I have beat on the bike by 15 or more minutes in 70.3s are getting ready for IMTX right now and are leaving me in the dust. However doesn't help I forget to put air in my tires sometime have some some very thick tubes in my tires.

2011-01-24 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3317454

User image

Dallas, TX
I have a question about training plans.  I loaded an Olympic plan from here that was based on my current speeds, but I am doing a really bad job of following it.  I am basically doing the correct number of workouts/week (usually on different days due to traveling) but not following the time/distance at all.  I have been going over on the distances, because it seem silly to do way shorter distances than I had been doing (for example, I am supposed to bike 6 miles this weekend - that seems like a big waste of time.  I usually drive somewhere to cycle and am not just going to ride for 20 min.)  So should I keep doing what I am, or do I shorter distances and build back up according to my plan?
2011-01-24 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3317560

User image

Tyler,
kussmaul - 2011-01-24 7:55 AM I have a question about training plans.  I loaded an Olympic plan from here that was based on my current speeds, but I am doing a really bad job of following it.  I am basically doing the correct number of workouts/week (usually on different days due to traveling) but not following the time/distance at all.  I have been going over on the distances, because it seem silly to do way shorter distances than I had been doing (for example, I am supposed to bike 6 miles this weekend - that seems like a big waste of time.  I usually drive somewhere to cycle and am not just going to ride for 20 min.)  So should I keep doing what I am, or do I shorter distances and build back up according to my plan?

6 miles is short for a bike session UNLESS it is meant to be part of a recovery, then it is a good thing to help flush out the legs. You will see some examples this week from me in my training log as I am on recovery week now. Get a trainer so you can ride inside during the week.
2011-01-24 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
I started swimming one year ago this week.  I've made some great gains in form, technique and speed.  But today for whatever reason doubts started to creep into my mind saying - "what the heck are you doing?... you're not a swimmer and you can't do this."  Granted this was at the beginning of my swim workout when my form isn't the greatest, my heart rate is soaring and breathing isn't quite in rhythm.  With a running background, the thoughts of just sticking to that discipline seemed to make more sense.

I've done one tri and the swim portion was only 300 yds.  Most sprints are at least 750 and the thought of doing an Oly or longer seem like pipedreams because of the swim.  My biggest issue is the start.  Last summer during my tri I made it 50 yards before doggy paddling to calm down.  During workouts I can only go about 50-100 yds before I need to stop and take a breather and let my heart rate come down.  Once I'm into my rhythm I can go for whatever distance.

What do ya'll do to get through that initial hard breathing, high heart rate period when you start a swim?  Is there something I can do to practice or simulate the start of a race to get past this?

2011-01-24 1:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I do something similar when I am running. Most times I run by myself but in a group run or in the 2 5km races I have done I get caught up in the group and go out WAY to fast and find myself dieing at the end. In my running I have to consciously remind myself to slow down, get into a rhythm then work on increasing my speed once I get going. 

From what I have read, a swim warm up before the start is a great way to calm down and alleviate the pre race jitters.
2011-01-24 2:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I always start my swims with a 200-300yd warm up at 10-20 seconds slower per 100 than I typically swim.  It gets the body loosened up, works out the kinks, and gets the heart rate settled without wearing me out before I even get started. 

2011-01-24 2:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Question for those out there. How are you timing your swimming? I have a lap counter which is really nice but I purposely bought one that I cant pause so the clock is always running. I figured this would keep me from lingering too long at the end of the pool. When I push off the wall on lap 1 i start it and stop when I am done my last lap. Just wondering if others do the same or time differently. Seeing some of the swim times in the logs make me feel slow slow slow.
2011-01-24 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3318701

User image

Euless
I have a watch with a lap counter and I start it on my first lap and push the lap button again when I complete the lap (the timer still going at this point) I want timed and that's how I time my laps.  Otherwise, I start the timer when I start my workout and stop it when I finish and divide the total time by total distance and do the math that way.  I have an app on my phone that does the math for me -- I don't actually do the math! :-)
2011-01-24 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
There is a wall timer at the pool I use and it's always on.  (If it isn't, I turn it on) I only count actual swim time in my log as to approximate my pace per 100 better.  My total time in the pool may be 30 minutes, but I'll only record 24 minutes as swim time in my logs.
2011-01-25 6:14 AM
in reply to: #3318495

User image

Tyler,
Trout - 2011-01-24 1:15 PM I started swimming one year ago this week.  I've made some great gains in form, technique and speed.  But today for whatever reason doubts started to creep into my mind saying - "what the heck are you doing?... you're not a swimmer and you can't do this."  Granted this was at the beginning of my swim workout when my form isn't the greatest, my heart rate is soaring and breathing isn't quite in rhythm.  With a running background, the thoughts of just sticking to that discipline seemed to make more sense.

I've done one tri and the swim portion was only 300 yds.  Most sprints are at least 750 and the thought of doing an Oly or longer seem like pipedreams because of the swim.  My biggest issue is the start.  Last summer during my tri I made it 50 yards before doggy paddling to calm down.  During workouts I can only go about 50-100 yds before I need to stop and take a breather and let my heart rate come down.  Once I'm into my rhythm I can go for whatever distance.

What do ya'll do to get through that initial hard breathing, high heart rate period when you start a swim?  Is there something I can do to practice or simulate the start of a race to get past this?

Yes, you should start out slower. This is natural as your body is not using completely it's aerobic system in about the first 2 minutes of exercise. This is why warm-ups are important. Before racing I usually try to get in a swim of 10-15 min w/ pickups and drills, if I am not allowed to swim, then I do lots of arm swings/circles.
2011-01-25 6:16 AM
in reply to: #3318701

User image

Tyler,
DaveL - 2011-01-24 2:25 PM Question for those out there. How are you timing your swimming? I have a lap counter which is really nice but I purposely bought one that I cant pause so the clock is always running. I figured this would keep me from lingering too long at the end of the pool. When I push off the wall on lap 1 i start it and stop when I am done my last lap. Just wondering if others do the same or time differently. Seeing some of the swim times in the logs make me feel slow slow slow.

I have the Garmin 310xt, I only do splits and count laps in my head, or rely on my swim buddy to remember which lap we are on.

2011-01-25 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I use the lap function on my watch because I have a tendency to lose track of my lap count.  I include my rest time as stand-alone laps.  My laps end up looking something like this.

Lap 1: 2:10
Lap 2: 2:09
Lap 3: 2:12
Lap 4: 1:00
Lap 5: 1:52
Lap 6: 0:21
Lap 7: 1:54
Lap 8: 0:20
Lap 9: 1:55

...and so on.  Doing it this way I can see if I need to increase or decrease my rest and also subtract out my rest laps to find out my average pace.  I just wish I could upload the data from my watch because I'm way too lazy to input all of it into my training log (as William pointed out to me today Wink).  A Garmin is definitely on my wish list.
2011-01-25 5:41 PM

User image

Tyler,

I hope you guys can count to ten when you are swimming ))) If I have a long set I usually break it up mentally. This seems to help me finish with a good effort.

Here is an extra tip, when you are running up a steep hill count the trees, telephone poles, or light posts to help you get up that darn hill.

I am going to the MAVS game tonight and cut off some serious amonynt time on my 400 yard swim.

2011-01-25 7:29 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Training Plan question...what would you guys do or have you done?

Starting Fink's 30 week plan to get to week 22 for Racine HIM.  I have two weeks during that time where I will be traveling with family.  The first one is during the base phase and the second is during the build.  The second one is June in California in Paso/Morro Bay/SLO, bike heaven, so I know I can get a long ride in, and I run and swim on vacation, so that's not a problem.  But wondering about the first one...we will run and swim every day, but biking is pretty much out of the question.  I was thinking about starting the plan a week early and just having the vacation be a place holder week...I shouldn't lose too much fitness because I will still be s/r...I just don't want to move a whole bunch of workouts around and worry about cramming everything in.  

WDYT? 
2011-01-25 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3321374

User image

Regular
triritter - 2011-01-25 6:41 PM

I hope you guys can count to ten when you are swimming ))) If I have a long set I usually break it up mentally. This seems to help me finish with a good effort.

Here is an extra tip, when you are running up a steep hill count the trees, telephone poles, or light posts to help you get up that darn hill.

I am going to the MAVS game tonight and cut off some serious amonynt time on my 400 yard swim.

I used to do this when running track workouts, break eight intervals up into groups of 2. Down play the amount of intervals left, hell i even counted steps at the end of races when I was sprinting in. Whatever it takes just use positive thinking and down play what you have left in a workout and it will go by quickly.
2011-01-26 5:58 AM
in reply to: #3321519

User image

Tyler,
quincyf - 2011-01-25 7:29 PM Training Plan question...what would you guys do or have you done?

Starting Fink's 30 week plan to get to week 22 for Racine HIM.  I have two weeks during that time where I will be traveling with family.  The first one is during the base phase and the second is during the build.  The second one is June in California in Paso/Morro Bay/SLO, bike heaven, so I know I can get a long ride in, and I run and swim on vacation, so that's not a problem.  But wondering about the first one...we will run and swim every day, but biking is pretty much out of the question.  I was thinking about starting the plan a week early and just having the vacation be a place holder week...I shouldn't lose too much fitness because I will still be s/r...I just don't want to move a whole bunch of workouts around and worry about cramming everything in.  

WDYT? 

You can rearrange the workouts that week to fit your schedule, if there no possible way, then don't stress about it a day or two off isn't going to hurt you, probably actually help you.

2011-01-26 8:47 AM

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado

William/Team,

I know your group is closed…”officially.”  Would you consider taking another member?  Here’s my background:  I did my first triathlon in 2008 which was a sprint (life-long aspiration for doing a triathlon and picked a local parks/rec race where I wouldn’t drown).  “525yds” in a pool – I was very nervous about finishing by the 30min cut-off, but made it and felt like I had conquered the world!  I did a couple of sprints that year, but must say that I always had a huge fear of coming in last (or very close to) until I witnessed the seemingly surreal…during the awards ceremony of one of the races, the announcer stopped the program and brought attention to the last competitor completing the race.  Hundreds of people lined the finish line (I didn’t mention that I live in Boulder, CO&hellip pro athletes cheering with the enthusiasm of a Kona victory for last competitor and their personal accomplishment!  That was my first insight of what this culture, athletic and lifestyle pursuit is all about.  Unfortunately in 2009 I had a shoulder injury (non-athletic related) which was surgically repaired in Feb 2010.   By June 2010 I was ready to start again, and in July completed my first olympic distance race and in a moment of inspiration (…OK,…sitting on the couch at 10:00pm with a glass of wine) began thinking that I could possibly do the ultimate – I could envision the path to an Ironman.

I completed the Austin 70.3 in Oct as a physical/mental exercise to start training for IMCDA 2011 in June of this year.  I have a 20week plan that starts in 2 weeks, and “yes” I will post all my training.  My first and foremost goal is a finish, however, I’m training for a sub-14 finish and if I have a perfect race, I’ll finish sub-12.  Please let me know, if you would be willing to take a late member in the group. 

Thanks, Cam.

2011-01-26 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3322173

User image

Tyler,
cam111 - 2011-01-26 8:47 AM

William/Team,

I know your group is closed…”officially.”  Would you consider taking another member?  Here’s my background:  I did my first triathlon in 2008 which was a sprint (life-long aspiration for doing a triathlon and picked a local parks/rec race where I wouldn’t drown).  “525yds” in a pool – I was very nervous about finishing by the 30min cut-off, but made it and felt like I had conquered the world!  I did a couple of sprints that year, but must say that I always had a huge fear of coming in last (or very close to) until I witnessed the seemingly surreal…during the awards ceremony of one of the races, the announcer stopped the program and brought attention to the last competitor completing the race.  Hundreds of people lined the finish line (I didn’t mention that I live in Boulder, CO&hellip pro athletes cheering with the enthusiasm of a Kona victory for last competitor and their personal accomplishment!  That was my first insight of what this culture, athletic and lifestyle pursuit is all about.  Unfortunately in 2009 I had a shoulder injury (non-athletic related) which was surgically repaired in Feb 2010.   By June 2010 I was ready to start again, and in July completed my first olympic distance race and in a moment of inspiration (…OK,…sitting on the couch at 10:00pm with a glass of wine) began thinking that I could possibly do the ultimate – I could envision the path to an Ironman.

I completed the Austin 70.3 in Oct as a physical/mental exercise to start training for IMCDA 2011 in June of this year.  I have a 20week plan that starts in 2 weeks, and “yes” I will post all my training.  My first and foremost goal is a finish, however, I’m training for a sub-14 finish and if I have a perfect race, I’ll finish sub-12.  Please let me know, if you would be willing to take a late member in the group. 

Thanks, Cam.

Welcome to the group. A sub 12 hour would be really good!!! I was down in Austin 70.3 last year. Thanks for your back ground, as long as your active in the forum and post your training, I'll be glad to have you. Are you still living in Boulder or  you in Texas?
2011-01-26 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3322357

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
Living in Boulder/Longmont (which is 6 miles N of Boulder). Austin was one of the last 70.3 races last year (and a pretty great place to visit). Here very soon, I'm looking at either Houston 70.3 or the New Orleans 70.3 as a training/prep race.Thanks! Cam
2011-01-26 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3319757

User image

Houston, Texas
What do ya'll do to warm up for a half marathon ?  (ie the morning of...)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28