BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Big Daddy Diesels New to the Sport Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2011-02-09 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3345569

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Big Daddy Diesels New to the Sport Group - Full
laurabs24 -
quick mechanical question.....i broke the stem thingy on my tire when pumping it up this weekend, so i had to change the whole dern thing (back wheel at that UGGH!!) but now its bumping up and down.  it did it really bad sunday but i went ahead and rode 20 miles (im sure that was not the best idea).  last night i took the back wheel off and took a look, everything seemed to be normal, but this morning on the trainer the bumping was still there.  do i need to deflate the tube and change it again.  i am seriously mechanically challenged....but at least i learned how to change a flat!

You dont need to take 3 days off, do extremely light workouts, like 30 minutes on the trainer in your small ring only, no intervals, just spin. Or a light run at a very easy pace, or a short swim for distance

Your tire is might be twisted or bunched at that one spot, take the tire back off and reposition the tube, that should work

2011-02-09 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3346398

User image

Expert
rpframe - 2011-02-09 7:31 AM

I’m back.  I had a bad bought with winter depression this last month.  I lost all motivation to do anything at all for a while.  I am doing a little better now and am re-starting, again, my training.  Exercise will help in recovering.

I’m a little worried about the cold spell here in Houston.  I purged all my winter wear years ago. Leaving the house when it is freezing outside is difficult enough when I am depressed and being so cold doesn’t help.

Rachel

Welcome back Rachel

2011-02-09 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3257607

User image

Expert

Add Intensity & Realize Your Potential

by Endorphin Fitness on December 18, 2006 in Triathlon Training

Michael Harlow writes: I hear it all the time: athletes don't understand why they aren't getting any faster when they are going the same moderately hard pace 4 days every week. Without a coach designing a structured program for you, this is the never ending crevice where most athletes find themselves. If you train at the same speed everyday, you will always ride at this speed - you are not training yourself to get faster, you are training yourself to ride at this speed. To grow, you must change up your speed through purposeful workouts. This article will lay down a set of rules to guide you through this process.

Plan - So, you want to get faster. How are you going to do this? You must have a plan! Take the time to analyze how many training miles your body and schedule can handle in a typical week, your strengths and weaknesses (opportunities for improvement), as well as what your main race or ride will demand of you. Be honest with yourself - where do you stand currently and where do you want to be? What do you have to do to get to this goal? Answer that and you have a plan!

Periodize - Now that you know what needs to be done to get to your goal, you need to lay out a plan of attack. Always start with technique, as it is the foundation of any program. Failure to establish this technique at the beginning of training will cap what you can achieve. Once this technique is established, you will want to work to build a solid base of mileage. Without this, an athlete will never be prepared to add intensity because he or she will not have the aerobic base to do so. Speed work can be introduced at a moderate level (below lactate threshold predominately) while building this mileage base but one must be careful not to add both speed and mileage at the same time, as this will increase the risk of injury. After the base is established, drop it slightly, and it is time to work on speed!

Monitor - If you are going to do speed work, you must be able to ensure that you are training at the proper intensity. There are many ways to do this via speed, perceived exertion, heart rate, and power. Of all these methods, heart rate is the most affordable as well as objective means to gauging this intensity. Though expensive, power training gives the most accurate representation of intensity and is used by most professionals in conjunction with heart rate. The important thing is that you establish training zones, know what physiological systems are developed by each zone, and choose speed training in these zones to target your weaknesses.

Break It Up - Realize that you are now training at goal race pace or faster. Since this is a goal pace, you will not be able to sustain them for your goal race distance. Interval training will enable you to break up the effort into small, manageable chunks designed around the specific focus you are trying to achieve. If you are trying to develop muscular endurance on the bike, you will do something like 6 x 5 minutes with 1 minute rest at goal 40K race pace or slightly faster. This will teach your body to hold your goal pace by developing the muscular endurance necessary to do so.

Recover - If you are going to start picking up the pace a few days/week (start with one to be safe), you will need to allow your body to recover most of the other days you ride. If you are going to go fast, you need to go slow - no more moderate riding! You can't go too easy - the whole purpose is to allow your body to recover from the intense ride and prepare for your next one. There is another component of recovery that is important to address as well: post workout recovery. If you are adding speed and exposing your body to a greater chance of injury, you need to recover smart after each workout. This means stretching, icing anything that hurts, and taking in the necessary nutrition to refuel your body. This is extremely important and should not be taken lightly.

A Primer On Group Rides - Group rides are an excellent, fun way to get in either a recovery or an intense ride, but you must make them work for you. If you need a specific ride (intensity or recovery), choose a ride that has this as its purpose. Then, make the ride work for you! Don't pull if you are on a recovery ride - sit back and draft. If you need intensity, pull when you need to work on your weaknesses (i.e.: if you need work on hills, take the pull when you get to the hills). Group rides are great, but you have to make them your own!

In this article, I have laid out the foundation for getting faster through speed work. It can get complicated, so a good coach can always help you choose which speed workouts to target given your weaknesses. Feel free to contact us at Endorphin Fitness to ask any questions you might have. With the proper intensity added to your training, you will develop the speed in 2007 that you never thought you had. Watch out training partners!!

2011-02-09 1:43 PM

User image

New user
welcome back rachel.  i deal with bouts of depression too.  its hard to get motivated to workout when youre depressed but not working out makes the depression worse.  its a viscous cycle for me.  i have it year round but its sometimes worse in the winter, it may be due to my vit d deficiency.  i now take 2000IU of vit D and it helps stabilize my winter slumps. 

BDD, i think im approaching tri training recovery like i would running recovery.  on my running recovery weeks, i would take an extra day or two off in addition to decreasing intensity.  im guessing that is not the case with tri training?  i should continue to do something, just not at such a high intensity then??

gotta go fix my tire.....UGHH!!!!
2011-02-09 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3347351

User image

Expert
laurabs24 - 2011-02-09 2:43 PM welcome back rachel.  i deal with bouts of depression too.  its hard to get motivated to workout when youre depressed but not working out makes the depression worse.  its a viscous cycle for me.  i have it year round but its sometimes worse in the winter, it may be due to my vit d deficiency.  i now take 2000IU of vit D and it helps stabilize my winter slumps. 

BDD, i think im approaching tri training recovery like i would running recovery.  on my running recovery weeks, i would take an extra day or two off in addition to decreasing intensity.  im guessing that is not the case with tri training?  i should continue to do something, just not at such a high intensity then??

You can take a couple of extra rest days if you like, most triathletes are so addicted to training that they refuse to do so, thus the concept of really easy training week.

2011-02-10 6:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Had a good swim this morning - 2000m in 42:10. It felt slower while I was swimming it; I expected to be at or above 45:00, so I guess that's a positive outcome. Gonna try to get in a half hour on the bike trainer during my lunch break.

Have a good day everybody! Stay in that training frame of mind!!

Bobby

2011-02-10 9:11 AM

User image

Expert

Mixed Intensity Workout for the Indoor Trainer

<script src="/page/widgets/article/Toolbox.aspx?assetid=ea5c9407-f608-49be-b62b-eda7cd17c89d" type="text/javascript"><script type="text/javascript"><script src="/SiteFiles/3/templates/javascripts/lightwindow.js" type="text/javascript">

By Gale Bernhardt
For Active.com

If you're at a point in your training where you need to move toward some higher intensity rides, but the weather is keeping you on the indoor trainer, this column can help. The indoor trainer workout shown below begins with pedaling form and then goes into a set that provides a mixed-intensity ride.

You can repeat the main set as many times as you please; but completing the recommended number of repeats shown makes the total workout time between 45 and 60 minutes.

Bad weather can't take your fitness away--ride on!

Warm-up

5-10 minutes

Ride comfortably within the range of Zone 1 to 2 intensity or an easy, aerobic warm-up

10 minutes

5 x (30 second with the right leg doing most of the work, 30 seconds where the left leg does most of the work, 60 seconds with both legs working to form smooth, relaxed circles)

12 minutes

4 x (both legs working for 30 seconds at 90 rpm, 30 seconds at 100 rpm, 30 seconds spinning at more than 100 rpm (keep your fanny from bouncing off of the bicycle seat with controlled, high speed spinning), recover with 1:30 of easy spinning)

Main Set (20-30 minutes)
Repeat the set below 2 or 3 times:

2 minutes

Zone 2 intensity (recover with easy spinning in Zone 1 for 2:00)

1 minute 30 seconds

Zone 3 intensity (recover with easy spinning in Zone 1 for 1:30)

1 minute

Zone 4-5a intensity (recover with easy spinning in Zone 1 for 1:00)

30 seconds

Zone 5b intensity, powerful riding seated or out of the saddle standing (recover with easy spinning in Zone 1 for 0:30)

Cool Down

8-13 minutes

At a low resistance, spin easy at Zone 1-2 intensity

2011-02-10 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3347351

User image

Expert
laurabs24 - 2011-02-09 2:43 PM welcome back rachel.  i deal with bouts of depression too.  its hard to get motivated to workout when youre depressed but not working out makes the depression worse.  its a viscous cycle for me.  i have it year round but its sometimes worse in the winter, it may be due to my vit d deficiency.  i now take 2000IU of vit D and it helps stabilize my winter slumps. 

Is your tire fixed?
2011-02-10 12:34 PM

User image

Expert
The Moving Bar of Intensity
By Marc Evans
2/10/2011

The cognitive and perceptual sensory signals of intensity are constant and consciously processed and organized in the cerebral cortex. And while heart rate (HR) and to a degree, power training are effective training tools HR and power cannot be perceived. That is, athletes cannot solely rely upon these numbers to precisely obtain prescriptive intensity efforts.

On the other hand, intensity of effort is very accurately perceived through a complex array of sensory signals arising in part from respiratory, metabolism and within the muscles.

In 1960, Gunnar Borg developed the rating of perceived exertion (RPE) scale. This is a very well known system and frequently adapted method of measuring effort during physical work.

RPE is used conjunctively in many settings for clinical diagnostics, therapy and rehabilitation, training of athletes, research and testing exercise intensity at sports science laboratories.

My first introduction in a clinical setting to this innovative intensity assessment protocol was at the Olympic Training Center as my role as USA Triathlon head coach. During the first elite testing clinic with USA Triathlon professional team members in 1990 exercise physiologists used HR, Lactate and RPE during testing of VO2max in swimming and running. And without exception athletes consistently rated the work intensity with precision simply by touching a point on the RPE scale.

There are many adaptations of the Borg scale but the exactness of the estimation of intensity is remarkably accurate. To be sure, there are few better ways to monitor effort than using perceptual sensations, feelings, muscular response and breathing rates to gauge and control exertion.

After all, there are many physiological, environmental and emotional variables at play. Experienced athletes by instinct identify the subtleties of increases and decreases in intensity relative to the length of competition, body temperature, respirations, environment, and nutritional needs and certainly, pace. If this weren’t so HR monitors would be customarily used by the elite during competitions. They are not.

Now, one very useful aspect of HR monitoring and monitors is the regular collecting and assessment of morning heart rate and even this, should be in combination with other training, nutritional and resting factors. An innovative company like www.restwise.com is a good resource for both athletes and coaches who are interested in developing a more systematic method for managing training stimulus and recovery.

Successful endurance and triathlon outcomes are the result of the ability to sustain effort at or slightly above lactate threshold. This intensity is not so great the body’s lactate buffering capacity is lessened. And using a HR monitor does not perceptually consider factors such as glucose depletion, environmental conditions and duration as HR remain level and even plateau as exercise durations extend while RPE rises and falls respectfully to changes in effort. You also need to “feel” then effort and adjust accordingly.

Though HR generally parallels RPE it can be altered for example by heat exposure, while RPE remains the same. So, RPE responds better to fatigue and intensity rather than the HR or power responses.

Studies demonstrate that HR response to exercise may fluctuate due to variables like sleep status, stress, dehydration, environment, illness, motivation, cardiac output improvement and cardiac drift. The latter occurs normally with corresponding increases in muscle temperatures. And can result in a HR drift of 20 beats a minute. Therefore, that little beating icon on your watch and power level do not always accurately identify intensity. HR monitoring and power training are good choices, but RPE works for any state of training and fitness whether an elite or novice.

2011-02-10 1:10 PM

User image

New user
s*@t!!!  im not sure what i just did, but i entered for a chance to win an entry to boston.  i know its a long shot, but if i win that really throws a wrench into my training!  no way would i be marathon ready in 8 weeks, i would do the run/walk approach....but still, it would change everything!  its probably a non-issue, but what IF?????  really the only reason i want to do it is for fund raising opportunities.

i think the tire is fixed.  i couldnt feel the bumping in the trainer last night.  and BTW, changing a tire is a TOTAL PITA!!!!! 
2011-02-10 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3349007

User image

Expert
laurabs24 - 2011-02-10 2:10 PM s*@t!!!  im not sure what i just did, but i entered for a chance to win an entry to boston.  i know its a long shot, but if i win that really throws a wrench into my training!  no way would i be marathon ready in 8 weeks, i would do the run/walk approach....but still, it would change everything!  its probably a non-issue, but what IF?????  really the only reason i want to do it is for fund raising opportunities.

i think the tire is fixed.  i couldnt feel the bumping in the trainer last night.  and BTW, changing a tire is a TOTAL PITA!!!!! 

From what I understand (remember I am not a runner), running Boston for a runner is like racing Kona for a triathlete. If I was in your shoes, I would do it, no second guessing about it. Yes, 8 weeks is, well, not long for a mary training. But I am willing to bet you, like anyone else, would try your best to do it, so if you win, remember to have fun and soak it all in, its one of those once in a lifetime events.

I am a believer in the run/walk program, it works

2011-02-10 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3349007

User image

Expert
laurabs24 - 2011-02-10 2:10 PM

Wait till you on the side of a road, standing in someones driveway or ditch, covered in dirt and grease and sweat changing one, at least you will know how to when you get a flat, and it will happen at some point
2011-02-10 3:55 PM

User image

New user
yes, boston is to a runner as kona is to a triathlete.  i would do it in a heart beat, it would just really jumble things up for me! 

i think if i ever get a flat out on the road....i will be calling someone to get me.  i was frustrated enough sitting in the comfort of my living room wanting to throw the damned wheel out the window....i cant imagine trying to do it out on the road!!!!!  those little stick thingys that you use to pull the tire off.....do they make metal ones of those.  i broke one last night trying to pry my tire off LOL!  and what are they called, i need to learn the real names of thing instead of calling them thingys!
2011-02-11 7:48 AM
in reply to: #3349344

User image

Expert
laurabs24 - 2011-02-10 4:55 PM yes, boston is to a runner as kona is to a triathlete.  i would do it in a heart beat, it would just really jumble things up for me! 

i think if i ever get a flat out on the road....i will be calling someone to get me.  i was frustrated enough sitting in the comfort of my living room wanting to throw the damned wheel out the window....i cant imagine trying to do it out on the road!!!!!  those little stick thingys that you use to pull the tire off.....do they make metal ones of those.  i broke one last night trying to pry my tire off LOL!  and what are they called, i need to learn the real names of thing instead of calling them thingys!

They do make metal ones, but they are harsh on your rims

They are called tire levers, I use 2 when changing my tire, one I hoke onto my spoke and leaves and opening in the tire and the other to pop the rest off. It takes practice, but well worth the practice.

2011-02-11 10:18 AM

User image

Expert

Scott Molina's top ten tips for your best race results in 2011

Scott Molina is a man who practices what he preaches. As a professional Triathlete he raced 265 times and won 104 races around the world including the Ironman World Championships in Hawaii in 1988. His philosophy...train hard, race hard.

One of the big four (along with Scott Tinley, Dave Scott and Mark Allen), the “Terminator” pioneered the sport of triathlon until his retirement in 1995 to concentrate on his coaching career. It was only natural that when, in 2003, he started up his now (almost legendary!) “Epic Camps” he was going to bring something different to the table for the age group triathlete. A competitive environment , a points system that rewards volume and intensity. Racing nearly every day and only allowing very fast, extremely fit people allowed to attend. Last year they swam, biked and ran the length of New Zealand in 14 days.

Always one to teach by example the desire that coaches should still want to compete is something he feels strongly about.

“I've been in close contact with so many coaches over the years that have lost touch with what it feels like to be an athlete. There are feelings we have that many coaches haven't felt for so long that they've lost touch with them," says Molina

"The fatigue and the aches we feel when we're training hard, the other sacrifices we have to make to reach our goals. What it’s like to stumble out into the sleet at5am knowing that it's the only opportunity you'll get to do that run that day. The passion and the drive. The first rule of being a great teacher — keep being a student,” he adds.

This summer the French Alps will be the setting for his last ever Epic Camp and although Scott has no concrete plans for the future he says “they will be more moderate and focus on the 50+”

For those not able to join Scott in France (registration is now open) he’s given us ten top tips especially for EverymanTri age groupers!

1) Get up early almost every day of your life.  Nothing interferes with training at 5am except very young children.

2) Training a lot is no excuse to eat like a Pig (got this from Dave Scott).

3) Include some flexibility work daily by integrating it into other things you do - talking on the phone, eating, reading the newspaper, what-ever.

4) Do a little barefoot walking, gym work, running

5) 95% or more of your swim, bike, run training should be done in one of 3 zones - a) easy b) AeT - Aerobic Threshold 3) LT - Lactate Threshold.  Stay out of the grey areas between these zones.

6) Don't be afraid to race occasionally in training, especially in the water.

7) If you're over 50 then you should get your into the gym and work hard in there at getting stronger.  Learn what it means to push yourself in there safely. ?8) Use every tool you know of to make training more enjoyable - music, video's, other people, nice locations, what-ever works.

9) Minimize commute time to work and to working out.  Most of us use our cars like a portable locker room - have everything you need in the car to work out. Have good food in the car too.

10) Spend less time reading, talking, blogging about training and more time actually doing it.  This sport is about the work.

Edited by TriDiesel 2011-02-11 10:18 AM
2011-02-14 7:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Wow...its been sorta quiet here lately....Not that I'm one to talk as I have barely checked in, let alone posted!
It was a low training week, the hubby was out of town, and I had to get home from work immediately to let the dog out to do her thing....in any case, I basically did modified workouts--both on the Wii fit and by taking the dog out to run--sad part of that--it was getting dark REALLY early...so basically not a good week...
Back on track this week though!

What is everyone's workouts for this week??? (reading them will motivate me, so thanks, in advance!))

2011-02-14 7:13 PM

User image

New user
yay!!!!  i FINALLY registered from my first tri!!!!  its going to be march 27, little over a month away...YIKES!!!!  im pretty sure i am more than ready physically....250yard swim, 20k bike, 5k run, but im a wreak mentally.  excited but scared.  when are everyone else's first races of the season?

i did pretty well last week with my "rest" week.  i took 2 days off instead of 1, but tried to stick to less intense workouts.  i did add a day of yoga which pointed out lots of areas i need to work on, my core and hammies are a wreck.  sunday was probably not much of a "rest" type workout.  i let the husband pick our route.  we did a bike/run....VERY hilly ride followed by a super tough trail run.

one thing i have noticed over the past couple of weeks is my insatiable hunger.  i havent felt this ravenously hungry since training for a half mary.  its so frustrating to be this hungry all the time!!!!   
2011-02-15 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3355151

User image

Expert
kgore - 2011-02-14 8:02 PM Wow...its been sorta quiet here lately....Not that I'm one to talk as I have barely checked in, let alone posted!
It was a low training week, the hubby was out of town, and I had to get home from work immediately to let the dog out to do her thing....in any case, I basically did modified workouts--both on the Wii fit and by taking the dog out to run--sad part of that--it was getting dark REALLY early...so basically not a good week...
Back on track this week though!

What is everyone's workouts for this week??? (reading them will motivate me, so thanks, in advance!))

I just finished my recovery week, onto Base 2 for me, my legs and body feels fresh, tonight is form drills for running, this weekend I am looking at a 10 mile run and 2-3 hours on the bike
2011-02-15 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3355162

User image

Expert
laurabs24 - 2011-02-14 8:13 PM

one thing i have noticed over the past couple of weeks is my insatiable hunger.  i havent felt this ravenously hungry since training for a half mary.  its so frustrating to be this hungry all the time!!!!   

I will be emailing you closer to race date, you are ready to race, all the variables are there for a great first tri.

Fruits and veggies for fiber will help fill you up and protein like chicken will curve your appetite. Welcome to the club, triathletes are always hungry.
2011-02-15 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Question for experienced bikers in the group:

I have been using the bike trainer for a couple weeks now. I have my MTB set up on there since I am waiting and saving to get a good deal on a road/tri bike. When I am riding comfortably (good cadence and not killing my legs), I can go for about an hour and get about 12.5-13 miles in (calculating distance using the garmin cadence/speed sensor)

So my question is, if I can do about 12.5-13 mph on a MTB on a bike trainer, how does that translate to an hour long ride on a decent/entry level road bike on the road instead of on the trainer? According to 'bike calculator' app on iPhone, I am generating average of about 290 watts, (seems high to me, does that seem close to being right?)

I know there are alot of variables, but just in general terms, how much faster am I looking at with getting a road bike instead of MTB.

And more importantly, how does riding on the bike trainer compare to riding outside. I have the 1up, all aluminum trainer; It feels nice and smooth, and the resistance seems pretty spot on compared to riding outside.... but is it generally easier to get a higher speed on the road compared to on a trainer? Or is a trainer going to show me faster than I would really be outside?

I'm just trying to see where I'm at as far as training goes, since my main race is about 5 months away.

Edited by bscoles1 2011-02-15 7:34 PM
2011-02-16 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3356521

User image

Expert
bscoles1 - 2011-02-15 3:39 PM Question for experienced bikers in the group: I have been using the bike trainer for a couple weeks now. I have my MTB set up on there since I am waiting and saving to get a good deal on a road/tri bike. When I am riding comfortably (good cadence and not killing my legs), I can go for about an hour and get about 12.5-13 miles in (calculating distance using the garmin cadence/speed sensor) So my question is, if I can do about 12.5-13 mph on a MTB on a bike trainer, how does that translate to an hour long ride on a decent/entry level road bike on the road instead of on the trainer? According to 'bike calculator' app on iPhone, I am generating average of about 290 watts, (seems high to me, does that seem close to being right?) I know there are alot of variables, but just in general terms, how much faster am I looking at with getting a road bike instead of MTB. And more importantly, how does riding on the bike trainer compare to riding outside. I have the 1up, all aluminum trainer; It feels nice and smooth, and the resistance seems pretty spot on compared to riding outside.... but is it generally easier to get a higher speed on the road compared to on a trainer? Or is a trainer going to show me faster than I would really be outside? I'm just trying to see where I'm at as far as training goes, since my main race is about 5 months away.

There are so many variables here to take in account

- short answer is yes, you will be faster on a road bike over a MTB bike, due to the thinner wheels and lighter bike

- There is a big difference between trainer fit and outdoor fit - What I mean, is that a trainer helps build your lungs and power in your legs, but that is in a controlled enviroment, once you go outside, you need to deal with the conditions of the enviroment, EX: Hills, Winds, Terrain, Winds, tempature, winds. Do not be upset when you go outside and bike that the first couple times feel like a failure, its not, you are now training in a contast changing and uncontrolled enviroment. I went out and bike last Saturday, first time since October, and it sucked, so it happens to everyone.

- 290 is high, I dont know anything about how the Iphone calculates the power

- if I had to guess, I would guess 15-17 mph on a road bike, I know everyone looks to hit that magical 20mph, it takes time, I am on a bike team and I have been told more then once, it takes 3 solid years of cycling to become good on the bike. Everyone has to start sometimes, keep working at it.

2011-02-16 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3357619

User image

Veteran
TriDiesel - 2011-02-16 10:13 AM

bscoles1 - 2011-02-15 3:39 PM Question for experienced bikers in the group: I have been using the bike trainer for a couple weeks now. I have my MTB set up on there since I am waiting and saving to get a good deal on a road/tri bike. When I am riding comfortably (good cadence and not killing my legs), I can go for about an hour and get about 12.5-13 miles in (calculating distance using the garmin cadence/speed sensor) So my question is, if I can do about 12.5-13 mph on a MTB on a bike trainer, how does that translate to an hour long ride on a decent/entry level road bike on the road instead of on the trainer? According to 'bike calculator' app on iPhone, I am generating average of about 290 watts, (seems high to me, does that seem close to being right?) I know there are alot of variables, but just in general terms, how much faster am I looking at with getting a road bike instead of MTB. And more importantly, how does riding on the bike trainer compare to riding outside. I have the 1up, all aluminum trainer; It feels nice and smooth, and the resistance seems pretty spot on compared to riding outside.... but is it generally easier to get a higher speed on the road compared to on a trainer? Or is a trainer going to show me faster than I would really be outside? I'm just trying to see where I'm at as far as training goes, since my main race is about 5 months away.

There are so many variables here to take in account

- short answer is yes, you will be faster on a road bike over a MTB bike, due to the thinner wheels and lighter bike

- There is a big difference between trainer fit and outdoor fit - What I mean, is that a trainer helps build your lungs and power in your legs, but that is in a controlled enviroment, once you go outside, you need to deal with the conditions of the enviroment, EX: Hills, Winds, Terrain, Winds, tempature, winds. Do not be upset when you go outside and bike that the first couple times feel like a failure, its not, you are now training in a contast changing and uncontrolled enviroment. I went out and bike last Saturday, first time since October, and it sucked, so it happens to everyone.

- 290 is high, I dont know anything about how the Iphone calculates the power

- if I had to guess, I would guess 15-17 mph on a road bike, I know everyone looks to hit that magical 20mph, it takes time, I am on a bike team and I have been told more then once, it takes 3 solid years of cycling to become good on the bike. Everyone has to start sometimes, keep working at it.

Thanks for the feedback BDD; I definitely just need to keep putting in the time.

I rode for an hour yesterday on the trainer, and another anomaly presented itself. I found that I was able to maintain 15 mph quite easily on my middle chainring and highest gear. So either, I'm improving already, or that particular gear is just easier than the gears on my biggest chainring.

Incidentally, I checked that bikecalculator app (which is from bikecalculator.com) and I came up with 115 watts after yesterday's ride, so I must have been doing something wrong. I still don't know what to enter in the space for 'transmission efficiency' but I guess it's at least somewhat of an idea of where I'm at.
2011-02-18 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
I think our group is borderlining as becoming dead
2011-02-18 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm still here... Going strong on my marathon training, and still in 2/3 swims and 3 bike rides per week. I feel like I'm heading in the right direction, getting stronger, gaining endurance and confidence.
2011-02-18 9:55 PM

User image

Parker, CO
I'm still here, read everyday just don't post much. Did my 1st spin class today, I just ride my bike, but I have an indoor tri coming up and its on a spin bike - so I thought I should actually get on one 1st. It was pretty good. My HR was kinda high 150-163, which for me is high zone 3 to mostly zone 4. Running tomorrow, swim on Sunday.

Sorry that you think the group seems to be dying - hope it revives.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Big Daddy Diesels New to the Sport Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 15