BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2011-01-15 6:56 AM
in reply to: #3257746

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL
What does everyone have planned for training this weekend?  

For me it is pool work today, and a long ride tomorrow.  I will ride outside, finally bought some shoe covers. I could not feel my feet for about an hour after I rode outside last weekend.  I love the cold, but I am def. ready for a little warmer training weather. 

2011-01-15 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3300155

User image

Expert
andrew_haberkorn - 2011-01-14 12:39 PM David - you are on rollers, correct?  If so, you wouldn't have the leveling issue.  I'm not really sure why you would be having that sensation (hands or sleepy peepy - which is an awesome description by the way).  While riding a trainer/rollers can be a little more uncomfortable, you shouldn't be going numb.  You don't have this issue while riding outside? 

It happens both indoor and out, but definately worse on the rollers.  Which I think is because I'm much more limited in my positions onthe bike.  I can't move around much compared to riding outside.  I don't really have the problem at all on my other mtb, but it's much more upright (less weight on the hands), has a much better seat and of course there's a lot of moving around when mtbing.
2011-01-15 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3301046

User image

Expert
Dixbry - 2011-01-15 4:56 AM What does everyone have planned for training this weekend?  

One long run of ~7 miles.  Not sure if I'll do it today or tomorrow, probably tomorrow as my legs are pretty tired right now from yesterdays bike. 

For me it is pool work today, and a long ride tomorrow.  I will ride outside, finally bought some shoe covers. I could not feel my feet for about an hour after I rode outside last weekend.  I love the cold, but I am def. ready for a little warmer training weather. 

we had a sudden burst of warmness around here, it was 50 and sunny yesterday, and it's already looking like a good day today.  I sure like this better, those 30-40 degree days were killing me!  I know, I'm a soft Californian...

Edited by norcal_SAHD 2011-01-15 10:02 AM
2011-01-15 11:32 AM

User image

Colorado Springs
Dixbry - 2011-01-15 5:56 AMWhat does everyone have planned for training this weekend?  

For me it is pool work today, and a long ride tomorrow.  I will ride outside, finally bought some shoe covers. I could not feel my feet for about an hour after I rode outside last weekend.  I love the cold, but I am def. ready for a little warmer training weather. [ Sat. Is my day off, Sunday is long run, been following training plan, may add an extra mile as training is only scheduled for like 22 min. Not sure will see how good day of rest a day is. My body is getting accustomed to the two a day bike/swim and not as achey. Can't believe week two is already finished! Hope to be Able to gain endurance on swims, they are way more brutal than run or bike. Is this normal for the swim to be more difficult or challenging?
2011-01-15 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Swim has always been the hardest of the three for me, mentally and physically.  Coming from being primarily a runner, I still have to work on my swim.  It does get easier, the more time you put in to the swim.    At the beginning of starting to train in the swimming part, The thought of even going more than a hundred at a time was daunting, now I can comfortably just keep swimming.  The distance does not bother me at all, I just have to work on getting faster now.  
2011-01-15 11:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Just got back from my swimming. 1600 yds for today.  The pool was crazy busy with swim lessons and such.  Did 500 warmup, then worked on some drills for 600 and then another 500 straight swim.  My legs feel so much better after stretching it out in the pool.  They were a little sore from the workouts on Thursday and the long run yesterday.  

It is a little warmer here today and looking like tomorrow will be the same. Can't wait to get out on the bike outside tomorrow.  And I can't believe that week two of my HIM training is already over with. It does go by fast. 

2011-01-15 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3301420

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dixbry - 2011-01-15 11:47 AM

It is a little warmer here today and looking like tomorrow will be the same. Can't wait to get out on the bike outside tomorrow.  And I can't believe that week two of my HIM training is already over with. It does go by fast. 

It got warm down here in the deep south also - in the 50's!!! And, yes the training does go by quickly - It is the middle of January already!

I had a 15 mile run @ 7 minutes per mile run planned. I made it out the door but the legs were just plan flat. I am glad I have a long weekend and that my schedule is flexible enough to allow for me to 86 the workout – get some rest and tackle it on Sunday. In the past I would not have been this smart – I would have hammered the workout as best I could and been shot.

I would have had a mediocre running workout that did was much harder than it should have been – I also would not have gotten the physical adaptation that I am looking for.

I hope that I can post here tomorrow and tell you what a fantastic 15 mile run I had – I’ll let you know.

Completely off topic but I have been working on combining my blog and coaching coaching website. Please be honest and tell me what you think – the blog posts are from my blog that I have been doing for a couple years – I am really looking at commentary on the flow and style of the website. You comments are appreciated!

http://powermultisport.blogspot.comthe site it is replacing is http://powermultisport.com

Edited by microspawn 2011-01-15 12:47 PM
2011-01-15 5:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
Dixbry - 2011-01-15 7:56 AM What does everyone have planned for training this weekend?  

Saturday's are fairly crowded at the pool with lessons here as well.  I was on my way out the door when the Mrs. made it home from her night shift.  After chatting a bit, realized I wasn't going to beat the crowd. 

Went out for Long Run (8 miles).   Wasn't sure I'd make the distance as my right leg has been giving me issues.  It loosened up at the 3.5 mile mark, and I felt pretty good the rest of the way.

Temps supposed to remain in low 40's here tomorrow.  I don't have any cold weather bike gear at this point, so I'll be at the Y for spin class.  I think tomorrow is the 2 hour session, though I may have to bail out a  bit before it is over for in-laws 40th anniversary dinner in Williamsburg. 

Edited by mandsberry 2011-01-15 5:00 PM
2011-01-15 7:16 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
I'm still chuckling about the sleepy peepee. And I agree, it's a perfect description!

I picked up my new bike yesterday (Felt B2 - electronic shifting? Maybe a little overboard, but SUPER COOL!) so I went for a try-out today. A short 23 miles that turned into 32 miles thanks to a wrong turn in Tucson. Tomorrow is a 23 mile run in prep for my marathon. Unlike you runners, I'm just trying to finish it. No matter how long it takes, it's a record for me

2011-01-15 8:17 PM
in reply to: #3300155

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
andrew_haberkorn - 2011-01-14 3:39 PM
norcal_SAHD - 2011-01-14 11:05 AM
otter_sh - 2011-01-12 6:14 PM Question, when I was riding I could feel pressure on my shoulder that had surgery, is this normal? I have had trouble with my hands falling asleep while riding in my previous training.  Or is this a form / setup problem?

I have problems with my hands falling asleep too.  And sometimes a bit of an issue with, well, I guess I'd call it a sleepy peepy.  Frown  I change hand positions a lot, and do my best to shift my weight around to keep the blood flowing down there...

Steve - are you on a trainer?  If so, have you elevated the front wheel so your bike is level?  If not, you will get more pressure on your arms/shoulders as you are essentially having to hold yourself back from sliding down your bike.

front tire is elevated but somewhat flat.  I popped it when I inflated it after a long spell before putting it on the trainer.  Just tough to change tire with only 1 real good arm.  Traveling to COS this week, so I will get to it next week.
2011-01-16 12:14 AM

Lake St. Louis
What does everyone have planned for training this weekend?  

After having a crazy week and getting in almost no training I was finally able to get in something today.  Today was just a short swim and a little strength training.  Tomorrow will be another swim and a short run.

2011-01-16 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3302018

User image

Expert
MonkeyClaw - 2011-01-15 5:16 PM I'm still chuckling about the sleepy peepee. And I agree, it's a perfect description!

I picked up my new bike yesterday (Felt B2 - electronic shifting? Maybe a little overboard, but SUPER COOL!) so I went for a try-out today. A short 23 miles that turned into 32 miles thanks to a wrong turn in Tucson. Tomorrow is a 23 mile run in prep for my marathon. Unlike you runners, I'm just trying to finish it. No matter how long it takes, it's a record for me

Sweet bike!!  i think it goes without saying, but lets see some pictures? Laughing

enjoy the run today, that seems like a such a huge distance to me!  I'm going on my long run today, a season long 7.2 miles.
2011-01-16 2:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wow - that B2 is SHARP!

I finished up my 15 mile run this morning. It was still not stellar. I ran the first half at goal pack and then just trudged the rest home. Disappoint but still on task for my marathon effort.

2011-01-16 9:08 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
Ok, week number two completed, minor deviation from training plan so far and I feel great! I not only have stuck to my training but have been motivated by the rest of the groups support and some of your stories. Thanks to all!
2011-01-17 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3303504

User image

Veteran
Awesome job, Bledsoe...whatta' feeling!
2011-01-17 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3296729

User image

Veteran

ahem, that was my link...  Sealed glad you liked it!

ha ha ha! Sorry about that What an awesome link!

I've been side railed for about four days and I'm looking forward to getting back on track. 

2011-01-17 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
It sounds like everyone had a good weekend!! Finally, I picked up my bike on Saturday - it's a Canondale Caad 9..had it fitted and rode around a bit...OMG it is such a difference from my 17 year old Diamondback hybrid-Just a totally different feel. I am super excited to have it and can't wait to really get on a ride-hope the weather cooperates next weekend. Had a good workout Sunday and looking forward to the week's training. I am not dropping any weight, but in reviewing the eating pattern of last week, I can see where I need to reduce..You are all very inspirational in your training. I love reading about these 7-15 mile runs...as I plod thru my 3.5 miles~I dream of that 7 mile effort and can't even think about 15!! Have a great week everyone-keep up the great work!!

Holly
2011-01-17 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3302608

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
norcal_SAHD - 2011-01-16 8:37 AM

Sweet bike!!  i think it goes without saying, but lets see some pictures? Laughing

enjoy the run today, that seems like a such a huge distance to me!  I'm going on my long run today, a season long 7.2 miles.

OK, I'll post a pic but I haven't done anything but put pedals on it so far... I may switch the 39t chainring to a 38t to give me a little more range. It's not a compact and I don't feel like getting a whole new crank. I also don't want to change my stock cassette (12-25) and put on a bigger ring. I like a really tight spread - even the 12-25 is a little too much for me. I use a 53/39 and 12-23 on my road bike and am happy with that. Maybe I'll switch to a 38 on the road bike as well. Decisions, decisions!

I finished my run yesterday. Ended up going 24 miles because I was feeling pretty good at the turnaround point. I should have turned around anyway Smile I feel good today though, a little tight in various areas but not horrible. Probably head out for a ride in a little while and try to get a swim in later today.

I've found running to be very relative. When I first started, 2 miles was a long run. In fact, until I started training for this marathon I don't think I ran more that 4 miles at a time. I knew I'd need to put in more volume to be able to run faster though, so I started one of Hal Higden's beginner marathon plans. Then I started adding an extra day, pushing myself more on the distances. After some research, I decided I'd start doing a run/walk protocol for long runs (10+ miles). It lets my body recover, and lets me get a drink of water. It's worked great so far, no injuries and I feel good the next day.

Got off track there... My point is, 7.2 miles is still a long run!

(IMG00108 (Small).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG00108 (Small).jpg (41KB - 7 downloads)
2011-01-17 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Where are the cables?

Running is relative - distance is only one part of the equation. There used to be an old speedo ad -

It is not how far. It is not how fast. It is how far fast!

I love that one - so true.

Edited by microspawn 2011-01-17 11:22 AM
2011-01-17 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
speaking of long runs....

I'm planning on capping my long weekend run at 8 miles, and having three weekday runs of ~45 minutes to 1 hour.  That puts me right around 25 miles per week at my pace.  My plan is to build to that mileage (I'm just about there), then hold steady for a month or so with all four runs being easy Z2-3 effort level.  Once I feel used to that volume, I'll make one of those weekday runs a hills run, and one of them a speed workout (nothing formal, either a steady tempo run, or random pick-ups). 

I know most plans start at low mileage and build in a plus three weeks, step back one week pattern, but I think I'd prefer to maintain mileage steady.  Since my longest races this year are Oly's, I don't think I really need to go much over 8 miles.  What do you all think of this logic?  I'm hoping to increase my bike mileage a lot this year, while holding my run steady at 25 miles/week all year.
2011-01-17 12:59 PM
in reply to: #3304235

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
microspawn - 2011-01-17 9:22 AM Where are the cables?

Running is relative - distance is only one part of the equation. There used to be an old speedo ad - It is not how far. It is not how fast. It is how far fast! I love that one - so true.

It's electronic shifting, so the cables are just thin electric cables, no shifters either. The only real cables are for the brakes (if you look closely at the one cable above the handlebars, you can see where my puppy thought it would make a good chew toy before I even got to ride it!). The best part is that I can shift from the horns or bars. I keep reaching over to shift, forgetting I can shift from where my hands are! Oh yeah, and the auto-trim. No more chain rub.

For running, my plan has been to build a decent base, then add speed work. I've never been a runner, and until not long ago didn't even like it. I've grown to enjoy the runs and feel like my base is getting stronger. After the marathon, speed work and hills while cutting my long run down to 14-15 miles (takes too much time). A year ago, I never imagined I would try a HM let alone do that distance as a 'medium' run on my way to running in a FM!

2011-01-17 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3304448

User image

Extreme Veteran
norcal_SAHD - 2011-01-17 12:40 PM

speaking of long runs....

I'm planning on capping my long weekend run at 8 miles, and having three weekday runs of ~45 minutes to 1 hour.  That puts me right around 25 miles per week at my pace.  My plan is to build to that mileage (I'm just about there), then hold steady for a month or so with all four runs being easy Z2-3 effort level.  Once I feel used to that volume, I'll make one of those weekday runs a hills run, and one of them a speed workout (nothing formal, either a steady tempo run, or random pick-ups). 

I know most plans start at low mileage and build in a plus three weeks, step back one week pattern, but I think I'd prefer to maintain mileage steady.  Since my longest races this year are Oly's, I don't think I really need to go much over 8 miles.  What do you all think of this logic?  I'm hoping to increase my bike mileage a lot this year, while holding my run steady at 25 miles/week all year.

Building mileage slowly is the key to many training philosophies. Nothing wrong with that. Keep the old rule of thumb in play – increase total weekly mileage and your long run should not be more that 20 – 30 % of weekly volume (I forget the exact ‘rule of thumb’ but you get the picture).

This is just for easy math in my head – if you are at 30 MPW (miles per week) increase weekly mileage by about 3 miles and your long run should ‘only’ be between 6 – 9 miles.

If you feel in any nagging aches or pains that are more than just general soreness, well, that is when you have a break in your build and drop back on the volume considerably.

I would keep the slow runs slow.

2011-01-17 2:37 PM

User image

Sunderland
You guys are amazing.  Seriously.  It's been a few days since my last post so I'll fill you in on what's been going on in my world.

• I'm no longer sick.  Thank God.  I was starting to get really frustrated.
  • I did a long run (4 miles) with my brother yesterday.  We shaved 3 minutes off last week's time.
  • I did my normal 3 mile route today and set a PR (by 7 seconds).
  • I had a dream about bilateral breathing the other night.  I consider this to be my first triathlon related dream.
  • I think I'm starting to develop leg muscles.  This is very encouraging.
  • Sometimes when I'm running, I pretend I'm Mirinda Carfrae.  She's a girl and I'm a guy but we both have short legs and she's really fast.  If it sounds weird, it's because it is.  Just go with it.
  • I've run 34 miles this month.  6 months ago I couldn't run a half mile on a treadmill with stopping.  I consider this to be real progress.
Tim - That is an amazing bike.  Have you named it yet?
loper245 - Did you end up buying that Cervelo?

I went swimming at the Y a few days ago.  I think I'm going to take a few lessons.  I want to get this breathing thing figured out before I develop a bunch of bad habits.  What do you guys think?  I don't see how lessons could be a bad idea but I'm open to suggestions.

My first race of the year is a 10K on Feb. 27th in Hyannis.  I've never run that far before but I feel like I'm on track to get it done.

That's where I'm at right now.  You guys are amazing.  Keep doing what you're doing.

-Ben

2011-01-17 11:32 PM
in reply to: #3304690

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
bendart - 2011-01-17 12:37 PM  
  • I had a dream about bilateral breathing the other night.  I consider this to be my first triathlon related dream.
  • I think I'm starting to develop leg muscles.  This is very encouraging.
  • Sometimes when I'm running, I pretend I'm Mirinda Carfrae.  She's a girl and I'm a guy but we both have short legs and she's really fast.  If it sounds weird, it's because it is.  Just go with it.

Congrats on all the other stuff, but those three bullet points made me the happiest. haha  Keep it up.  Sounds like your back at it and progressing!

Drew 

2011-01-18 1:56 AM

User image

Expert
I'm going to try and re-ask my question more clearly:

Say I get to the point where I am running 4 runs/week, three weekday runs of one hour and a weekend long run of 8 miles (putting me around 24-28 miles/week).  This part of the question is certainly possible, I'm very close to that now after a safe buildup to get to this point.

Now, I want to start a 20 week Olympic training plan.  According to the plans here on BT, the mileage I'm currently running is higher than the mileage of their peak week.  Week 1 starts out with runs of 24 mins, 32 mins and 40 mins, and each week builds 10% with a dip in volume every 4 weeks for recovery.  It seems crazy to drop my runs down that short when I'm already comfortably running longer.

What if I just leave my runs as they are, and instead of adding volume throughout the plan, I keep the volume constant for the whole plan and instead add intensity to two of my midweek runs?  I could add a hill day, and a speed day, keeping the other midweek and the long run easy Z2.  Every fourth week I could go back to all Z2 as a recovery week instead of dropping volume.  I dunno, it makes sense in my head.

Of course I'd do my best to listen to my body as well and take a day off or shorten a run if needed, but I just can't see starting out a plan with a 24 minute run...  I'd barely get warmed up!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24