BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2011-02-02 9:32 PM
in reply to: #3336525

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: RE: Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED
I don't belong in here.  I am but one of the legions of aquagirl admirers.

2011-02-02 9:33 PM
in reply to: #3336528

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
pga_mike - 2011-02-02 10:32 PM I don't belong in here.  I am but one of the legions of aquagirl admirers.

Hi Mike!!!!

How are ya?
You are always welcome here my friend....... 
2011-02-03 6:59 AM
in reply to: #3271854

User image

On your right
People here Helen put a picture of herself up, and in they come looking. 

I have only one race planned for the year, so far.  A half marathon in March.  I was mistakenly signed up for the full, so I'm hopefully going to be able to change it to the half.  If not, I'm just going to run the half and stop anyhow.  Who really needs medals and all that jazz?

As for core work, planks are quite good, and easy to do in terms of not needing extra equipment.  You can go from a basic plank, to one side, back to the front, and then to the other side.  As you get better, you can hold them for longer, and add some movement to them, like lifting one leg at a time while in a front plank.  Also crunches on a swiss ball work well too, as does pretty much anything involving the swiss ball, unless you're just bouncing it like a basketball.

For myself, I do reformer pilates once a week, and a few random plank days.
2011-02-03 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3335947

User image

Pittsburgh
kerux - 2011-02-02 4:11 PM So, what's everyone's first expected event of the year?  Curious as to what everyone is training toward.  I am shooting for the Clemson Tri Sprint as my "comeback" event.

I have two small (15 miler and 18k) running races that I'll be doing in the end of February and March.  I'll be using them as suppported training runs for my marathon training.  I am hoping to lose my tri virginity on April 17 at the Upper Main Line YMCA Triathlon.  We'll see how it goes.
2011-02-03 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3336771

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
nmroach - 2011-02-03 8:24 AM
kerux - 2011-02-02 4:11 PM So, what's everyone's first expected event of the year?  Curious as to what everyone is training toward.  I am shooting for the Clemson Tri Sprint as my "comeback" event.

I have two small (15 miler and 18k) running races that I'll be doing in the end of February and March.  I'll be using them as suppported training runs for my marathon training.  I am hoping to lose my tri virginity on April 17 at the Upper Main Line YMCA Triathlon.  We'll see how it goes.

This made me giggle into my coffee. 
2011-02-03 9:20 AM

User image

Cincinnati
Allen: you're doing the tri for Joe?  I was thinking about signing up for that one!

So far my first sprint tri of the year is April 6th Miami (Ohio) University.
Then in May & June there are 5 wednesday night triathlons at Ceasar's Creek put on by Speedf Feet.  Definitely not going to do all 5, but they are really cheep, like $10 last year, so I going to use them as training for the cincinnati tri in July.

The ski goggles where a nice touch Helen!

Doug

2011-02-03 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3337023

User image

Ohio
Allen: you're doing the tri for Joe?  I was thinking about signing up for that one!

Doug

I feel that is a good starter because the swimming is in a pool at Coney and its a good cause.   3 of my swimming class guys are training for the ceasers creek.  I may have to look into that.   Maybe i'll go over to Miami U and watch.    Deerfield township has a indoor tri at the end of Feb.   10 min swim - then treadmill & Cycle -

I'm in Lebanon,  are you north or south of Cinci ? 
2011-02-03 11:13 AM

User image

Ohio
I've completed my 5 weeks of Master Strokes swimming class.   I'm signing up for the next session also.   I've been struggling with the technique vs endurance question myself.  My instructor says I have very good technique untill I get tired. she recomended training flippers.  These are available at the gym, but i would like to have my own pair.   it looks like there are 2 kinds full & split fin.  anybody have any comments ?

Also she reccomended snorkel and mask to build up the lungs - any suggestions on this also ? 

Thanks in advance. 

Allen
2011-02-03 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3337363

User image

On your right
I don't have a recommendation on fins.  I don't like them very much, except for very specific drills.

As far as swimming with a mask and snorkel, I think it's actually not a great idea.  If you're snorkeling and looking at fish and such in the water, a snorkel is fine.  BUT if you're trying to move quickly through the water, it's a little more difficult.  I think you're better off learning to breathe appropriately to one (or both) sides. 

Again, if it's your breathing that's holding you back, you're going too fast or you're not breathing adequately.  A snorkel won't fix your breathing issues.  Learning how to do it properly will.
2011-02-03 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3336395

User image

New user
kerux - 2011-02-02 7:04 PM Speaking of core. I need some help with ideas for core exercise.  I do pilates fairly regularly, but it is just some random video I found on netflix.  How do I know if it is a good workout?? The sports med dr who diagnosed my stress fracture did some random tests and apparently my core is really weak.  I may or may not be off swimming for up to three weeks starting next week, because I may or may not be getting a tattoo for my big 3-0 which is a month away, can't swim until the scabs are gone. Ew, gross.  Hey, I figure we talked about snot already, what's a scab story?  Anyway, my first tri isn't until July, so it is okay to take a bit of time here, but during my pool sabbatical I want to focus on core.  I also will be riding, and oh so slowing building back my run.  Core workout ideas??

Why not go ahead and get the tattoo a little early so it can heal while you can't swim anyway?  What are you getting BTW?

I am getting it early, next Friday (my big birthday isn't until March 7.)  Believe it or not, we had to go early because the tattoo artist I am using is expecting Baby #2 (well, his wife is,) how normal is that?!  I am getting a Mountain Aven, it is a tundra flower.  Aven is my toddler's name.  Minus the ant

I am excited, even though it means out of the pool until it heals. 
2011-02-03 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3336520

User image

New user
aquagirl - 2011-02-02 8:29 PM
Peachfor3 - 2011-02-02 7:42 PM
Chaderbox - 2011-02-02 5:48 AM Run in the snow.  It's great for core strength and balance.  Just take it slow, and be more concerned with not falling than you are with pace.

Speaking of core. I need some help with ideas for core exercise.  I do pilates fairly regularly, but it is just some random video I found on netflix.  How do I know if it is a good workout?? The sports med dr who diagnosed my stress fracture did some random tests and apparently my core is really weak.  I may or may not be off swimming for up to three weeks starting next week, because I may or may not be getting a tattoo for my big 3-0 which is a month away, can't swim until the scabs are gone. Ew, gross.  Hey, I figure we talked about snot already, what's a scab story?  Anyway, my first tri isn't until July, so it is okay to take a bit of time here, but during my pool sabbatical I want to focus on core.  I also will be riding, and oh so slowing building back my run.  Core workout ideas??

Here is the core workout I do...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486     

This is a stellar workout.. Take it it slooooow at first. Its wicked good stuff. 

Thanks so much for this!  I am looking forward to doing it, how often do you do this one?  I love that I can do it at home!

2011-02-03 1:40 PM

For anyone who is interested...
I've been using mapmyfitness.com to map my outside workouts because I like the mapping application better than the one here (it snaps to the roads, instead of having to follow them yourself).  They've also just added a nutrition log, which I think is a bit easier to use than the one that BT has.  The nutrition log isn't perfect, you can't add your own foods yet but their tech people say it should be there in the next couple weeks, but it does show you how many calories you should consume in a day (I assume this is to maintain your current weight), and how many you have burned through activity.  They tell me I should be taking in about 2866 calories a day.  I don't know how I could possibly get that much, since I don't usually eat a lot, but I'm going to try following it and see if it helps my energy and weight loss (I don't take in enough calories a lot of the time to keep my body out of 'starvation mode', there are lots of days where I'm lucky to break 1000).
2011-02-03 3:35 PM

User image

Cincinnati
Allen:

I'll think about doing the indoor tri at deerfield, it sounds nice to be able to get some training like that in all this cold weather.  I'm actually in Clifton, while my wife is finishing up school @ UC.  We live north of campus, close to the Clifton Skyline, and Dewey's pizza.  Other then that I work in Norwood.

I agree with Chad on the swimming, by the way.  I would only use fins with a kickboard b/c I think using them in a normal swim really messes up the rhythm or cadence between my arms and legs.  That being said I have drastically improved my kick this year using a kickboard and powering through.  I generally hate only kicking.  If it makes you feel any better I have also had a hard time convincing myself that I cannot swim as fast as I used to.  Try a bit too hard and end up hanging on the edge in the middle of a set. 

I am currently thinking about joining the triathlon club Cincy Express.  Hoping that the group rides will get me out on my bike more then I did by myself last year.  Anyone have experience with triathlon clubs before?

Doug
2011-02-03 7:54 PM

Tonight, I swam 500 yards, biked 16.5 miles in spinning, then ran a 5k on the treadmill (it helped that I got to watch Jeopardy during the run).  Stomached Clif Shot Blox pretty well, but they don't taste wonderful.  And about an hour after I got done, I crashed.  I assume that came from the sugar and such in the Clif Blox, and not fetting real food soon enough once I stopped.
And about half a mile before I finished my run, I pulled a groin muscle.  High inside of the thigh is swollen, the pain was sudden and sharp, and I'm so stubborn that I finished my run.  Which made it hurt more.  Ibuproffen and ice on the leg now, and I won't run or cycle until it feels better, probably won't swim either  
Any advice on dealing with a pulled muscle?  And while I try to rest it, any suggestions for exercise that won't  aggravate it?

2011-02-04 6:57 AM

User image

On your right
There are all sorts of exercises that won't bother a pulled leg muscle.  Like, pretty much anything upper body.  When you're needing to rest from a leg injury, it can be a good time to focus on working arms, shoulders, chest, and back.  Having stronger lats (lat pull downs, some rowing, pull ups) can really help your swim strength endurance.  The same can be said for working shoulders and to a lesser extent your arms (more tricep than bicep work.)  And while you're at it, chest work just to keep even.  You can also focus on doing some core work as well, as long as you're not also straining your leg.

I know this is a triathlon group, and generally we'll push SBR (swim bike run) because that's what you compete in, so that's what you should practice.  However, strength training, when done with a purpose and a specific goal can be a great change of pace AND benefit at times.  If anyone is looking for more specifics on weight training, which will also help you burn calories pretty well, let me know.  I'd be happy to give some pointers, ideas, and some more specific workouts for you.
2011-02-04 9:40 AM

User image

Pittsburgh

I really want to swim at lunch but my department is office a Steeler's tailgate party.  I think I'm going to sneak out before it gets started.

2011-02-04 1:20 PM
in reply to: #3338988

User image

On your right
So there was a neat idea at my gym today.  They are doing a "challenge" for people, the "Sportsclub Ironman".  Each time you come to the gym in February, and do a swim, bike, or run, you can log it on a form.  Each person that gets the 140.6 total miles logged gets 1 free personal training session.  They are telling people to estimate 15 miles for a spin class, 22 for the 90 minute spin.  They also have how many laps it will take in the pool to get the 2.4 miles.

I thought this was a neat idea, and a fun way to put your training in perspective while at the gym.  My goal is to see how quickly I can get my 140 miles done at the gym.  Normally it would be nice and quick, maybe a week or so.  BUT since my son is just potty trained, I don't like to leave him in the day-care area for much more than an hour.  Oh well, I'll just have to do some double and triple day sessions for a bit.

2011-02-04 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3339478

So this was my first week of focused training.  I downloaded program and started it on monday.  I swam twice, did a BRICK on tuesday (thinking I wouldn't make it Wed due to snow), ran on Wednesday (set a personal best for 3 miles on the tradmill), swam on thursday and rode the stationary bike today.  Whew... 
I'm hoping to run again this weekend, weather provided. 
I signed up for a 10K in March.  This will be my first race EVER -- woohoo!!!  My first TRi will take place at my LifeTime gym in April. 
I'm planning on doing a sprint in May or June in preparation for the NJ State Olympic in July -- my "goal" race.  If I survive that one (and can still smile), I'll look forward to at least one to end up the season.  I'm quite excited and motivated -- I hope it lastsUndecided
2011-02-04 6:04 PM

I will spend some time focusing on the upper body while the pulled muscle heals.  How long do I have to give it before I can start doing things again?
2011-02-04 8:05 PM
in reply to: #3339920

User image

On your right
Really, you're the only one that can answer that, Corey.  Give it enough time to rest so that it doesn't hurt when you use it.
2011-02-04 9:21 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Hi kids. 
Sorry to be a bit MIA.
Trying to get back into the swing of working again.........blech.
Need to catch up on my sleep since my body is not used to staying up all night. Normally I would have used a quiet period on my shift to get caught up with everyone, but they went and outlawed the internet at my work. Hmmmph.

Thank you Chad for being around when I cannot............  

2011-02-05 12:24 PM

User image

On your right
I'll always be round.  Well, unless I actually manage to lose all of the weight I would like to.

Ooooh, you said around.  Nevermind.

Oh and I'm pointing and laughing at you being at work now, Helen.
2011-02-05 12:58 PM

User image

New user
I'm slightly clueless about training plans.  I like to have them, and i have found one that will work, but I am wondering about it because there aren't any dedicated brick workouts.  Can I make any workout a brick just by doing the workouts back to back.  Do most people do them back to back anyway?  Most days I will be doing two workout "events" like a swim and run, ect. I am guessing I will be one in the morning, one in the evening type of workouts until it is lighter earlier.  Then I am just planning on riding to the gym for a swim.  Am I a total wuss, and should be making sure I can do the workouts both together?

My life is a series of countdowns.  This many days until we get a tattoo, until DH's birthday, until the boy's birthday, until their party, until my birthday, until I can run, until I can swim again, until our party, phew, exhausting to have so much on the horizon.  With 4 out of 5 of us having birthdays the same week, Feb/March is always crazy. Normally our birthdays aren't a big deal, but we like to party so this year we are celebrating everyone!
2011-02-05 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3339651

User image

Greenville, SC
Tim.amo - 2011-02-04 4:06 PM So this was my first week of focused training.  I downloaded program and started it on monday.  I swam twice, did a BRICK on tuesday (thinking I wouldn't make it Wed due to snow), ran on Wednesday (set a personal best for 3 miles on the tradmill), swam on thursday and rode the stationary bike today.  Whew... 
I'm hoping to run again this weekend, weather provided. 
I signed up for a 10K in March.  This will be my first race EVER -- woohoo!!!  My first TRi will take place at my LifeTime gym in April. 
I'm planning on doing a sprint in May or June in preparation for the NJ State Olympic in July -- my "goal" race.  If I survive that one (and can still smile), I'll look forward to at least one to end up the season.  I'm quite excited and motivated -- I hope it lastsUndecided

Nice job!  Keep up the good work and there will be plenty of smiles.
2011-02-05 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3340633

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Peachfor3 - 2011-02-05 1:58 PM I'm slightly clueless about training plans.  I like to have them, and i have found one that will work, but I am wondering about it because there aren't any dedicated brick workouts.  Can I make any workout a brick just by doing the workouts back to back.  Do most people do them back to back anyway?  Most days I will be doing two workout "events" like a swim and run, ect. I am guessing I will be one in the morning, one in the evening type of workouts until it is lighter earlier.  Then I am just planning on riding to the gym for a swim.  Am I a total wuss, and should be making sure I can do the workouts both together?

My life is a series of countdowns.  This many days until we get a tattoo, until DH's birthday, until the boy's birthday, until their party, until my birthday, until I can run, until I can swim again, until our party, phew, exhausting to have so much on the horizon.  With 4 out of 5 of us having birthdays the same week, Feb/March is always crazy. Normally our birthdays aren't a big deal, but we like to party so this year we are celebrating everyone!

There is actually huge debate out there as to the benefit of bricks. Not all training plans include them. The idea behind a brick is simply to get used to the feeling, both physical and mental of making your body run on those wobbly legs after you get off the bike. Some training plans will include really massive bricks, as in loooong rides followed by substantial runs. While this can be great for your confidence, knowing you can do it, its important to keep in mind that the cost in terms of recovery from these sessions can be great. 
My personal thought on them is to get a brick or two under your belt before your first tri so that you KNOW how its gonna feel. But i don't really use them a whole lot. I think for my HIM  the longest i ever ran after a ride was 5K. Just my take on it, but you have to keep in mind that I never used a training plan,,,,so,,,,,,,,

Chad? What say you?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 19