Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-05-30 5:32 AM
in reply to: #3278649

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
Subject: RE: Mesteren's Group - CLOSED

Managed to get in a swim and a run today.

Did a 30 minute run and I managed 6.08km!!!  My first km was a little rough, working out the kinks and what not... 5:17, but then I decided to try to hold 5 min /kms for the rest... Watching a second or two drop every 200 meters (On a small track) was nice... 6:16....7:15.... 8:13....  I ran the next 5km at 4:52 min / km.  Feeling pretty good about that run!

Question about swimming... Today I did 10*100 (50 free, 50 breast) with no breaks. (So basically 1000 meters.) and then the coach had me do 6*25 with no breathing.  I believe these are called hypoxic drills... or something like that.  I know there is a debate about the safety / usefullness of them.... anyone know more???

2011-05-30 8:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon

1st Sprint Tri is in the books!  It was great and not as bad as I expected it to be, thanks to the bike portion.  Somehow I managed to be calm, except for stomach issues the night before.  I slept well too.  It was a cool, overcast morning, but the outdoor pool was like being in Hawaii, I loved it!!!  The actual swim was a huge struggle.  I always have trouble when starting any event, and then catch a good second wind and that happened here.  But the distance was just very hard for me aerobically.  I swam with just one other competitor because we had the slowest projected race times, but he ended being pretty good (he guessed on his time).  I think I still had 5 or 6 laps to go when he left.  With 2 laps left I changed to back stroke and made good time.  Wish I had thought of that earlier.  I think I had a longer than normal swim time.  I forgot to look at my actual time when I left today, waiting for them to post it online. Foot in mouth

The bike was awesome, surprised the hell out of me.  I haven't been on my bike a lot lately and was dreading the 4 big hills.  I was able to hang out in my lowest gear and keep moving. Dealt with nausea as I got really winded near the tops of the hills, but it went away on the down side.  I flew on the downhills.  I never tuck and go to the lower bars, but I wasn't going to miss that speed and distance opportunity today.  This is where my weight really helps. Sealed  I didn't have much issue with being uncomfortable on my saddle like normal.  Perhaps I was preoccupied? I did the bike in about 50 mins, which is about what I expected.  I felt great when I got to the transition area.  

Had trouble getting my running shoes on because I rode the last 5 miles in a complete down pour which while flying downhill drove water down my legs and into my shoes.  My socks were soaking wet, which I suppose might be normal.  Will need to get my bike computer re-calibrated...it said my max speed was 81.7mph!

I started slow in the run, my hips really hurt.  I found that running was less painful than walking, only I couldn't run for very long.  I did a lot of starts and stops and made it through.  I felt great afterwards and ended up taking 2nd in my classification (Athenas over 40).  I think I was 8th from last over all.  Can't wait to scrutinize the results when they come in.  I'm really curious to see how long my transitions were.

Overall I was pleased with my performance and know that so much of the struggle today was from lack of aerobic conditioning.  Improving that will make a world of difference.

Thanks for all the kind words, I had a lot of your advice running through my head today!

Christi

2011-05-31 12:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Congrats on what sounds like a very successful race Christi!  That's awesome!

2011-05-31 4:32 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
CONGRATULATIONS Smile

You did awesome, as we all knew you would

And best of all, you are now a triathlete !!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Mesteren 2011-05-31 7:09 AM
2011-05-31 7:02 AM

User image

Dayton OH

CONGRADULATIONS CHRISTI!!!!

Finishing those tough races is where the character is built. Nice job. Your aerobic capacity will follow a well trained mind.

I finished a race myself this weekend. I rolled my ankle in the first 1/2 mile. It was a pretty brutal trail run that again I was not at all prepared for. The first ever trail run I have done was a race! I did finish on the painful ankle. Not sure yet it was the best idea. It is now swelled up good and very tender. Im limping and giving it a few more hours and if not better then off to the doc.

Has anyone else experienced injury during a race? Did they finish anyway? How can you tell in those critical moments when you should gut it out or pack it in?

My official time was 32:19. That was over two minutes slower than my last 5k. Although slower, the temperature was 90 degrees and on a trail with huge trees roots boulders and steps. I totally would have crushed the PB if I was a bit more prepared for the trail.

Overall im feeling a bit discouraged. I am AGAIN not able to train much because of my injury and was hoping to do well at the race. THANKS TO NEIZELS AND MENSTREN FOR ASKING ABOUT IT.

2011-05-31 10:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Alaska

Congratulations, Christi! Finishing your first triathlon is a great thing! :-D It sounds like you pushed through some challenges, which imho should increase your pride in your finish. Press on!

Joel, serious bummer about the ankle. Let us know how it goes...I'm impressed that you were able to run on a bad ankle and be only two minutes slower on a 5K!

As for me, I had good workouts this weekend. Brick Saturday, long swim Sunday. Yesterday I didn't work out exactly, but I worked all day. It feels wonderful to be able to do construction work from dawn to dusk (which is saying something here... really we only worked for about 9-10 hours) and still have enough energy at the end to mow the grass.

2011-05-31 11:12 AM

User image

New user
Well done to everybody that raced this weekend. Stupid me missed the deadline for what was to be my first tri on Sunday this was an indoor pool so no need for a wetsuit all the rest coming up are outdoor so need to find one on the cheap. Was wondering if I could borrow a friends surf wetsuit or are they 2 different animals?
2011-05-31 7:34 PM

Austin, TX

A belated congrats to Christi and Joel on their respective races! I'm getting jazzed for my second tri coming up on Sunday. I've been hitting it pretty hard to make up for some lost time, but feel fairly confident for the race. Luckily, I know the terrain since its in the same location as my first tri, with the exception of the swim leg which is nearly three times as long (800m v 300m). Don't know why, but I've been hitting the pool to condition for it. 

Anyhow, just checking in since its been a while. Hope everyone is getting their swim/bike/run on into June. 

-- Rebecca 

2011-05-31 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3526463

Congrats to Christi for finishing your first triathlon. You did awesome. And it sounds like you did awesome on the bike. That totally sucks Joel about your ankle,  Ice is your best friend. Amazing you can still run with a hurting ankle. I have well done nothing this weekend, spent the weekend at my parents. So its time for someone to kick me in the . My bike is begging me to get out. So going for ride tomorrow. And I definlty need to get back in gear my first race is in like 4 weeks now. Wow thats coming fast. Goodluck in your race  rtakahashi

2011-06-01 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3524157

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
DuncanQH - 2011-05-30 10:32 AM

Question about swimming... Today I did 10*100 (50 free, 50 breast) with no breaks. (So basically 1000 meters.) and then the coach had me do 6*25 with no breathing.  I believe these are called hypoxic drills... or something like that.  I know there is a debate about the safety / usefullness of them.... anyone know more???

Sorry about the late answer but here is my take on it.
I use to absolutely hate this drill. Nothing compares when you are all out of air.
What I think are the benefits are you learn to relax. You use less oxygen when your muscles are relaxed and knowing you can make it also helps. You then have to figure out what pace to swim. going slow use less oxygen but it takes longer. Pushing hard will use a lot of oxygen but the time is a lot shorter. The key is to find something you are comfortable with. One more thing where I think the drill is good, is the focus on a "pure" pull, a pull where you dont rotate to breath.

I dont think this will ever be an easy drill, but it do show you that you can swim for a while with out breathing, this is a good thing to know when you are doing OWS and keep getting hit by waves when you try to breath
2011-06-01 6:23 PM
in reply to: #3527957

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
Mesteren - 2011-06-02 4:13 AM
DuncanQH - 2011-05-30 10:32 AM

Sorry about the late answer but here is my take on it.
I use to absolutely hate this drill. Nothing compares when you are all out of air.
What I think are the benefits are you learn to relax. You use less oxygen when your muscles are relaxed and knowing you can make it also helps. You then have to figure out what pace to swim. going slow use less oxygen but it takes longer. Pushing hard will use a lot of oxygen but the time is a lot shorter. The key is to find something you are comfortable with. One more thing where I think the drill is good, is the focus on a "pure" pull, a pull where you dont rotate to breath.

I dont think this will ever be an easy drill, but it do show you that you can swim for a while with out breathing, this is a good thing to know when you are doing OWS and keep getting hit by waves when you try to breath

That's something along the lines of what I was thinking.  I must admit, it was really nice to not have to breath from a smoothness of the stroke point of view.  Felt awesome never having to worry about rotating, just catch, pull, catch, pull, catch pull...

I didn't give speed too much thought, but you are totally right about the air thing... I know when scuba diving that you have to be very conservative with your movements to save air, but also that being able to relax underwater really extends your available air.  On the speed side... hehe, I just kinda started with nice, smooth efficient movements (well, efficient for me! ) but by the last 10 meters it was an all out splash fest trying to make it!  Next time I try I might have to try a couple just going nice and slow, and then a couple sprints and see which feels better.

Also, coach suggested I extend the drill to 50 meters (my gaping mouth in response) then she explained... do 25 meters with no air, but then immediately swim the return 25 breathing normally, when still winded.  Helps to feel more comfortable in water, and keeps your body working in a low oxygen state... hehe, not really looking forward to that!!!

2011-06-03 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hi everybody

I hope you are all well

I have been having way to much to do at work the last days which is why I am running behind in the inspire department. And i am trying to get ready for an 1/2 Olympic race on sunday, while all my body wants to do is sleep and do nothing So I am taking it very easy these days, as it is impossible to improve your fitness the last days before a competition but it is possible to decrease your fatigue level.

rtakahashi will also be racing on Sunday, her 2nd tri
So hop over to her blog and wish her good luck.

chris was suppose to race but messed up a bit and did not get signed up in time.

Joel, with a bad ankle and on a trail to run 32 min is good ! You should easily be able to go sub 30 min on a flat, paved race. I hope you ankle is better !

Else have a great weekend everybody

2011-06-03 9:23 PM

Where did everyone go. Racing season is just gotten started here. And apparently so has mosquito season lol. Hope to see everyone soon.
2011-06-04 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

I totally understand Mesteren.  I've been getting by on about 3 hours sleep most nights for the last 10 days.  Feeling way tired, and its affecting my desire to train.  The last week has been pretty brutal, and I'm only 2 weeks away from my first tri now.   Hoping this week might be a little better, I at least have Monday off (Dragon Boat Festival in Taiwan) so that should help.

Weekend plans (if I right it here, I will have less excuses to skip out on something)

1. Long bike ride on Sunday morning (Looking to do 40+ km)

2. Short easy bike ride on Sunday afternoon (will be showing my brother and his girlfriend around the local bike paths, so they can use bikes to commute)

3. Sunday evening short run (might do this right after the morning bike depending on how I feel)

4. Monday - Long run (about 10km) slow pace 65 minutes or so

5. (Maybe Sunday or Monday) Tues - Wed - Fri - Lunch time swims

Wish me luck!

2011-06-05 2:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Alaska

Well, I did it...

We only have one Oly in Alaska, and registration finally opened for it today. I registered! Hard for me to believe that it is possible. Fortunately I have two more sprints, one with OWS, before the Oly so perhaps that will help with my nerves.

Whuf. Whoda thunk it?

2011-06-05 3:31 PM

Austin, TX

Hi Groupies!

Well, according to my triathlete boyfriend, I am now officially a "tri-veteran" for completing my second triathlon. I completed the Danskin Tri Series in Austin with an overall time of 1:40:41,  211/1038 overall, 7/48 for Athenas, 20/90 AG. I had sent a VERY ambitious goal of 1:30 for myself (knowing it wasn't realistic), but came within 10 minutes. Can't complain for my first sprint tri. Thank you everyone for the inspires and continued support with this group. Schedule/finances permitting, I may do another sprint.  

2011-06-06 5:21 AM
in reply to: #3533331

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
calluna - 2011-06-05 7:18 PM

Well, I did it...

We only have one Oly in Alaska, and registration finally opened for it today. I registered! Hard for me to believe that it is possible. Fortunately I have two more sprints, one with OWS, before the Oly so perhaps that will help with my nerves.

Whuf. Whoda thunk it?

It will not only be possible, it will be easy as well. You are doing so great and you training is textbook You will absolutely rock it no question about it
2011-06-06 5:26 AM
in reply to: #3533434

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
rtakahashi - 2011-06-05 8:31 PM

Hi Groupies!

Well, according to my triathlete boyfriend, I am now officially a "tri-veteran" for completing my second triathlon. I completed the Danskin Tri Series in Austin with an overall time of 1:40:41,  211/1038 overall, 7/48 for Athenas, 20/90 AG. I had sent a VERY ambitious goal of 1:30 for myself (knowing it wasn't realistic), but came within 10 minutes. Can't complain for my first sprint tri. Thank you everyone for the inspires and continued support with this group. Schedule/finances permitting, I may do another sprint.  

Congratulations

You are a star Not only did you do it you did very very very good
And not "I may do another sprint" of course you are going to do another one, you are veteran now

2011-06-06 6:06 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hi gang

I raced a 1/2 Olympic yesterday, and had a very mixed race.
First the weather, I somehow always come back to the weather ! It was suppose clear skies and hardly any wind, but when I got to the race it was raining with heavy winds and cold
The talk was already going around how much clothes to put on in T1. It was very difficult to decide as the rain would stop and the sun would come out, and then 5 min later it would rain again. In the end I decide to go with just my tri-suit and some are warmers.
I got a good warm up in the pool and thought I was ready for the 750m. But no, I survived the 8 people in the lane start without to much trouble, but I was not able to hang on to the person in front of me and swam 650m alone and could not find a good glide and i was not relaxed
Still I managed to get out of the pool in 3rd place, but the with a big group of good people right behind. T1 went ok, took the extra seconds to get the arm warmers on, a lot raced just in there tri-suits but I am happy I put them on, as it rained for 2/3 of the bike.
The bike was 1 loop, from the pool and uphill until the turn. At the turn I was in front and felling pretty good, although I kept thinking how nice it would be to get in the hot showers afterward.
When I turned around I got a small chock to see that my 2 main competitors where right behind me, maybe 15s or so. Going back it was tailwind and downhill (my favorite) and I was going pretty fast but still very relaxed as I kept thinking that they would catch me any second and I should save some for the run. Funny thing they never came I come into T2 alone and they did not come in until I was running out of T2
I felt very good on the run, the breathing went very high in the beginning but I was not running to fast and I did not have any cramps, so I could just kept pushing. At the turn I had a 1 min lead and was pretty sure they would not catch me, but I had such a good rhythm I just kept pushing.
In the end I won it with 1:23, with the fastest run split of the day

This was probably the best run I have had in a tri in 2 years, and I could have kept running.
Normally the reason I do good in tri's are my strong bike but today I won it on the run, which I guess shows it is not always good to push to hard on the bike.

So, bad swim, medium bike, fast run. I guess I just needed to warmed up before I could push it.
And I won 5kg (12lbs) of chocolate
2011-06-06 10:13 PM

Congrats Mesteren and Rtakahashi on completing your races you both did awesome.  Congrats on winning Mesteren and thats the best price ever lol. Rtakahashi your a now officially a veteran thats awesome and you placed really well again. Come on you can do one more race. Well my first tri this year is coming closer and closer and i'm getting excited. I might try to ride the bike route some time in the next weeks since apparently isnt easy and Id like to have an idea what I'm up against. Well talk to you guys soon.
2011-06-07 10:36 AM

New user

San Juan

Congrats Christy, Kratahashi and Mesteren on your tris!!! It's been a long time (again) since I last posted anything. We have had a very horrible weather in Puerto Rico and it has been pouring rain everyday non stop for three weeks. As for my training I finally took out my new bike for a ride to a town called Loiza, and rode for a total of 28 miles, which is a PB for me, distance wise. Have had to adjust the saddle because it hurt like hell after I got off (you know where) and still have not been able to find a comfortable position. Bought bike shorts with a reasonably thick chamois and got better but still hurts! I guess it will take some getting used to. As for running, last week I ran my first 5 and a half miles and with a solid pace of 10 mins per mile (tried to lower it but on the second half got slower). My major problem right now are my toenails. Anybody got the same problem? The big toenail and the second (index) toenail keep coming off as soon as it starts to grow. Its as if it were making contact with the runners and slightly begins to get pulled outwards. Anyway, have visited podiatrists, taken meds, and nothing seems to work. Just ordered new Mizuno Control runners for runners with pronation. Seems I tend to flex the foot with each stomp.

As for swimming, I have another question. I have been maintaining a constant pace of 20 mins for 750m races but I want to get faster. How do I do that? Interval training? I get so out of breath whenever I try to quicken my pace and end up taking breaks between laps.

My next tri is this next Sunday, June 12 on a town called Rincon. Its a beautiful small surfer town on the west coast of the island. It will be a Sprint but I wont be able to try the route first because its about a 2hr drive from San Juan and have been bashed with work all month.

Good luck to all of you who will be doing tris this weekend. I read of at least one other person that has a tri on Sunday too!

xoxo

Mónica

2011-06-07 8:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
Getting excited about my race too... Just found out my wife doesn't have Saturday morning class that day, which means we should be able to leave around 9 or 10 am arriving about 12 or 1 o'clock the day before the race... sweet!  I should have a chance to do a lap of the 10km bike route and maybe a quick warm up swim.
2011-06-07 9:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Alaska
Getting pretty excited about my race this Sunday as well. I'm going to check out the course tomorrow after work as it is close to my office.
2011-06-08 11:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Alaska

I checked out the course today for my Sunday race. The bike course is going to be interesting, I think. Probably half of it is flat and fast, although not much by way of shoulders on the road. The part that is not flat...wow. There is a downhill right after the start that is REALLY downhill. I've gotten up to 33 MPH on hills before but this one is steep. Then a mile or so later, after a turn off the main highway is a twisty, turny uphill that seems to go on forever. That is going to be a real challenge. Advice is welcome...

The run course is dirt, and I'll run it tomorrow just to go through it once entire before the race. The run course is a cross-country ski course and as such will probably have swales but no serious hills like the road course.

2011-06-09 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3536889

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hi monica,  good to see that you are still among us

I have no idea what is up with your toe nails, you might as the question either in the Triathlon Talk or the Injuries & Health Issues forum, maybe first do a search I am sure you are not the first one with the problem.

Good luck on sunday I hope it will stop raining by then.

monicasanchez0910 - 2011-06-07 3:36 PM

Congrats Christy, Kratahashi and Mesteren on your tris!!! It's been a long time (again) since I last posted anything. We have had a very horrible weather in Puerto Rico and it has been pouring rain everyday non stop for three weeks. As for my training I finally took out my new bike for a ride to a town called Loiza, and rode for a total of 28 miles, which is a PB for me, distance wise. Have had to adjust the saddle because it hurt like hell after I got off (you know where) and still have not been able to find a comfortable position. Bought bike shorts with a reasonably thick chamois and got better but still hurts! I guess it will take some getting used to. As for running, last week I ran my first 5 and a half miles and with a solid pace of 10 mins per mile (tried to lower it but on the second half got slower). My major problem right now are my toenails. Anybody got the same problem? The big toenail and the second (index) toenail keep coming off as soon as it starts to grow. Its as if it were making contact with the runners and slightly begins to get pulled outwards. Anyway, have visited podiatrists, taken meds, and nothing seems to work. Just ordered new Mizuno Control runners for runners with pronation. Seems I tend to flex the foot with each stomp.

As for swimming, I have another question. I have been maintaining a constant pace of 20 mins for 750m races but I want to get faster. How do I do that? Interval training? I get so out of breath whenever I try to quicken my pace and end up taking breaks between laps.

My next tri is this next Sunday, June 12 on a town called Rincon. Its a beautiful small surfer town on the west coast of the island. It will be a Sprint but I wont be able to try the route first because its about a 2hr drive from San Juan and have been bashed with work all month.

Good luck to all of you who will be doing tris this weekend. I read of at least one other person that has a tri on Sunday too!

xoxo

Mónica

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mesteren's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14