BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chrisbowers group "Now We're Rolling!" - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2011-05-26 5:36 PM
in reply to: #3520761

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Subject: RE: chrisbowers group "Now We're Rolling!" - Full
chrisbowers - 2011-05-26 5:07 PM

Okay, I am starting to come out from under a fog of drugs from my dental surgery on Tuesday (from my Newe Orleans mishap).  I don't know where the last few days disappeared.  I hope everyone is havuing a good training week so far.  I have to live vicariously through you until I am cleared to train again (hopefully by the weekend).

What is on your mind? What good training have you done this week?

Dental surgery does not sound like fun!!  Hope your pain meds are keeping you comfortable! 

I have a pretty light training week lined up.  My BT schedule has the last full week of each month as a light week, so I'm enjoying it and taking it easy.  It works out perfectly after the 10K I ran last weekend, I'm feeling like my legs could use a little rest!  Hope everyone is doing well!!

2011-05-27 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3518017

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
carolh - 2011-05-25 11:03 AM

Good job races last weekend everybody!

My question is about tapering - is it really necessary to taper for a sprint?  I was thinking of working out lightly one or two days before but otherwise maintain my regular workout schedule. I plan to taper for a week before my Oly in July.  I was also wondering about doing 2 sprints with only a one week break between.  Good idea? 

Thanks, C

I think as long as you listen to your body and you feel good you can do very little to no taper for a sprint. Follow your training plan for a taper for an Oly or above. I think a one week break between 2 sprints is fine too. The key to all of this is picking your races that you want to perform best in. Prepare for them with the taper and rest necessary to have your body ready to perform at an "A" level.

2011-05-27 1:03 PM

User image

Regular
Newport News

Tri-#2 in 10 days!  This  should be a easy week,  have a 5k practice run  this afternoon.  Plan on 1 or 2 OWS pratices this weekend with another person doing Breezy Point.  Water temperatur in Hampton Roads  looks like it should be above 75deg. Also will be doing some short swim/bike and bike/run  bricks at a outdoor pool.

2011-05-28 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3282396

I posted my race log last week, and thought I had posted about it here in the forum, but it looks like that didn't go through.

Ill just say overall it was a good experience, but the swim -which I expected to be the best part - was by far my worst.

I started working out this week on Tues, but missed my Fri/Sat workouts due to work, and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to keep up with my new schedule for the next two weeks. Pretty frustrating. I am going to have to buckle down though, b/c I have a sprint June 19. 

Question: How are people practicing OWS prior to their races? I can walk in off the beach, but without any buoys/ visual aids, its hard to know what distance I'm covering or to work on spotting. Suggestions? My next race is an 800 ows.

Hope everyone's having a great Memorial day weekend.

Scot

2011-05-28 4:16 PM
in reply to: #3523073

User image

Regular
Newport News
Just did my first OWS practice this morning in the James River.  Couldn't see even an arms lenght in front.  Was able to do some drafting off my partner, but had to keep my head  above water to see him.  Only in the water for about 30 minutes  did about 500m total and got stung by a jelly on my leg. 
2011-05-29 7:19 PM

User image

Regular
scotmkf99 - 2011-05-28 2:39 PM

I posted my race log last week, and thought I had posted about it here in the forum, but it looks like that didn't go through.

Scot

Hey, Scot - 

I enjoyed reading your race report!  It looks like it was a nice short race to work out a few kinks & get you ready for your longer races.  Oh, and congrats on WINNING your age group.  Way to go! 

-Ally

2011-05-29 7:28 PM

User image

Regular
Well, I guess it was bound to happen sometime - after a year of successfully clipping in & out w/o incident, I had my first fall.  I was riding a hilly(!!) course with a group and mentally didn't have it to push through this one insane hill.  but then I couldn't get my foot out...  and with my momentum gone and speed approaching zero, I fell over in slow motion.  only minor scrapes, no traffic, I didn't take anyone else out, but I'll think twice now before deciding to give up again on a hill...
2011-05-30 2:35 AM
in reply to: #3523945

User image

alsiedee - 2011-05-30 1:28 AM Well, I guess it was bound to happen sometime - after a year of successfully clipping in & out w/o incident, I had my first fall.  I was riding a hilly(!!) course with a group and mentally didn't have it to push through this one insane hill.  but then I couldn't get my foot out...  and with my momentum gone and speed approaching zero, I fell over in slow motion.  only minor scrapes, no traffic, I didn't take anyone else out, but I'll think twice now before deciding to give up again on a hill...

Good to hear you weren't too bad after your fall. Hills can be tricky when you slow right down and don't have the energy left to get going again.

2011-05-30 2:38 AM

User image

chrisbowers - 2011-05-26 10:07 PM

Okay, I am starting to come out from under a fog of drugs from my dental surgery on Tuesday (from my Newe Orleans mishap).  I don't know where the last few days disappeared.  I hope everyone is havuing a good training week so far.  I have to live vicariously through you until I am cleared to train again (hopefully by the weekend).

What is on your mind? What good training have you done this week?

Well I've started running greater distances, albeit at a slower pace. Hopefully it'll give me something to build on and help burn away some fat! I also did an organised bike ride yesterday to try out my new mountain bike. It was fine but the wind was in my face all the way and it ended up feeling like I'd done double the distance!

Still loving the Forerunner, am hoping to use it to 'redo' some routes I've done with others and download some new ones off the internet to keep the training fresh.

2011-05-30 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

I just did my first OWS practice today, too.  The water was absolutely frigid!  I'm estimating low 60's...  The cold water was the hardest part.  Hands, feet and head were numb as soon as they touched the water.  But my wetsuit worked great for keeping my body warm!  Hands and feet were bright red when I got out of ocean! 

I did my OWS at Sandy Beach (Atlantic Ocean), which is where the swim portion of my first tri will be held.  The visibility was surprisingly great - not sure that will be the case on race day, the water was relatively calm today.  It was good practice for trying out my tri-suit with wetsuit to see how that felt with swimming in it. 

One issue I did not anticipate - my goggles kept fogging up.  Guess I need to buy some de-fogger?  They fit great - no leaking - and they don't usually fog up when I wear them for a pool swim - do you think it's b/c of the difference in water/air temperature during my OWS? 

Oh, regarding measuring distance during an OWS...  I didn't focus so much on distance, I swam where I think I remembered the course being last year (I volunteered at this race last year).  I focused more on getting comfortable in the water, getting my stroke down and my time in the water swimming to estimate a distance.

2011-05-30 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3523945

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

alsiedee - 2011-05-29 8:28 PM Well, I guess it was bound to happen sometime - after a year of successfully clipping in & out w/o incident, I had my first fall.  I was riding a hilly(!!) course with a group and mentally didn't have it to push through this one insane hill.  but then I couldn't get my foot out...  and with my momentum gone and speed approaching zero, I fell over in slow motion.  only minor scrapes, no traffic, I didn't take anyone else out, but I'll think twice now before deciding to give up again on a hill...

Oh no!  Glad you're okay!!  You have a great attitude about it!

2011-05-30 11:11 AM
in reply to: #3523127

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

tkatzhyman - 2011-05-28 5:16 PM Just did my first OWS practice this morning in the James River.  Couldn't see even an arms lenght in front.  Was able to do some drafting off my partner, but had to keep my head  above water to see him.  Only in the water for about 30 minutes  did about 500m total and got stung by a jelly on my leg. 

Sorry to hear about your jellyfish sting, ouch!  I used to live near Virginia Beach when I was younger and I remember there being SO many jellies there!!  They're not an issue here (yet) - the water is WAY TOO COLD!

2011-05-30 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
scotmkf99 - 2011-05-28 3:39 PM

Ill just say overall it was a good experience, but the swim -which I expected to be the best part - was by far my worst.

I started working out this week on Tues, but missed my Fri/Sat workouts due to work, and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to keep up with my new schedule for the next two weeks. Pretty frustrating. I am going to have to buckle down though, b/c I have a sprint June 19. 

Question: How are people practicing OWS prior to their races? I can walk in off the beach, but without any buoys/ visual aids, its hard to know what distance I'm covering or to work on spotting. Suggestions? My next race is an 800 ows.

Hope everyone's having a great Memorial day weekend.

Scot

I enjoyed reading your race report!  Congrats on your race, nice job!! 

2011-05-30 1:32 PM

User image

New user
Las Vegas
Hi Guys sorry for not being around much last week. My training logs are filled out and I am ready to get in full swing again. So hear is a question for the group. I keep getting a stitch / cramp on my ride side under my ribs. It has been happening during my last 3-4 runs and even during my swim. I can push through it but I need to figure out why and how to avoid this. Any ideas?
2011-05-30 10:34 PM
in reply to: #3524520

User image

Regular

Vegasadam - 2011-05-30 1:32 PM ... question for the group. I keep getting a stitch / cramp on my ride side under my ribs. It has been happening during my last 3-4 runs and even during my swim. I can push through it but I need to figure out why and how to avoid this. Any ideas?

I'm occasionally plagued with this myself, so I'll be interested to hear what ideas people have.  I've had it suggested to make sure you don't let yourself get dehydrated.  Also, when it happens, you might try and inhale really fully to help expand/push down on your diaphragm.  Has it been really hot on these last few runs?  I seem to have more issues with this in the heat..

2011-05-31 1:42 PM

User image

New user
Las Vegas
It has been hot but i also had the pain while walking with my kids last night and today at spin class. I have read a lot on this and could be a muscle strain or maybe even a gallbladder issue. My water intake has been great so I have no idea what's going on.

2011-06-02 3:36 AM

User image

Regular

just a tip on using the blog...

If someone leaves you an "inspire" on one of your workouts & you type a response in the box below it (where it says leave a comment) your comment will only show up in your blog - the other person won't see it unless they happen to go back & view that particular workout & inspire of yours.  Instead, click on the "reply" button & a separate window will open (with the original message quoted) and type your reply there - it will post in the other person's blog (as an inspire to them)- so they will be sure to see it. 

2011-06-02 3:37 AM
in reply to: #3525890

User image

Regular

Vegasadam - 2011-05-31 1:42 PM It has been hot but i also had the pain while walking with my kids last night and today at spin class. I have read a lot on this and could be a muscle strain or maybe even a gallbladder issue. My water intake has been great so I have no idea what's going on.

bummer.  sure hope it doesn't turn out to be anything serious..

2011-06-03 12:42 PM

Sprint race on Sunday!  This will be my first OWS (1/2 mile) this year, I think the water is up to 59-60 so won't be too bad.  WHHOOO should be fun, can't wait!
2011-06-03 3:30 PM
in reply to: #3531212

Good Luck this Sunday!

Ive got an OWS group meeting this Sunday where my next tri swim is. Looking forward to checking out the course/getting in the water.

2011-06-04 7:16 PM

User image

Regular
Newport News

Going over my Race Day checklist one more time.  Have to get up a bit earlier VDOT is testing the tide gates on the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel  tomorrow morning (5-7 AM) will have to drive the long way, just like any work day.  Race starts a 8AM I in third way at 8:08.  Here are my goals for this race: 1000m swim

Tsvi

2011-06-04 7:20 PM
in reply to: #3532701

User image

Regular
Newport News

Don't know why only half  my message got posted.  But  My goal is to finish in 1:50.  Also good luck to anyone is also racing this weekend.

Tsvi

2011-06-04 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3531212

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

carolh - 2011-06-03 1:42 PM Sprint race on Sunday!  This will be my first OWS (1/2 mile) this year, I think the water is up to 59-60 so won't be too bad.  WHHOOO should be fun, can't wait!

Good luck tomorrow, Carol!!  Psyched for you!!  You're going to do great!

2011-06-04 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3532705

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
tkatzhyman - 2011-06-04 8:20 PM

Don't know why only half  my message got posted.  But  My goal is to finish in 1:50.  Also good luck to anyone is also racing this weekend.

Tsvi

That's right... Your sprint is this weekend, too!!  Best of luck, Tsvi!!  Can't wait to hear how it goes/went.  Have fun!!

2011-06-04 11:27 PM

User image

New user
Las Vegas
Good luck guys!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chrisbowers group "Now We're Rolling!" - Full Rss Feed  

of 13