BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chrisbowers group "Now We're Rolling!" - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2011-07-27 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3609594

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: chrisbowers group "Now We're Rolling!" - Full
alsiedee - 2011-07-22 7:44 AM

Any suggestions for getting back into training following an unplanned break?  I always let myself have a nice recovery week following a tri, and I don't feel bad about that - I think I need the mental break at least as much as the physical.  My problem is usually the week after that... getting going again.  I had a nice 5k two weeks ago and didn't plan (or need) to have any break in training following it, but I haven't done much since.  I've gotten in a few good bike rides, but that's about it.  I'm hoping that once I get in a good swim workout & a couple good runs that I can shake this, but it's like I'm afraid to find out how much ground I've lost...   and my next tri is in 3 wks...

Unfortunately, the only way to get back in the groove for me is to get back in the groove. Does that make any sense? I typically have to suffer through a couple of sub par workouts. I will just push through them and not get upset if results of those workouts aren't great. I also will tend to pick a workout that I can nail to feel good at the end. For me that is either a hard effort bike or a short run with some intensity.

2011-07-27 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3282396

User image

Regular
Newport News
Well its off to the west cost Friday.  Wedding up in Portland and then down to LA .  The Aquathlon is a week from tomorrow in Playa Del Ray.  Neither of the Hotels we are staying at have pools, so my last swims before then will  be today and tomorrow after work, in a 80deg pool.  Water temp  off LA are about 65deg, no wet suit for me,  any recommendations?  I swam in the same waters wen I was a teenager half a century ago, in swim trunks.  
2011-07-27 10:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
Tsvi, I would say that if you're going to swim without a wetsuit that you just make sure you get into the water and swim a couple hundred yards or so to acclimate to the temperature and to allow yourself a comfort level. I swam without the wetsuit in the high 60's earlier this year and was comfortable after I got into a groove. Good luck to you! Have fun on the trip.

Edited by chrisbowers 2011-07-27 10:18 PM
2011-08-05 2:25 AM
in reply to: #3618128

User image

As it's now only a few weeks til my first triathlon I went to watch the UK Ironman last Sunday as it's not too far from where I live. The swim was too early for me on a Sunday, but I watched the cycling and running. It was very impressive how close you could get to the competitors and the race compared to other sports. I think I need to make an ironman my goal eventually if at all possible, but I didn't envy them when I saw people running in at the finish!

At least I'm really keen now to do my first and see how I get on!

2011-08-05 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3630005

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
gaz147 - 2011-08-05 3:25 AM

As it's now only a few weeks til my first triathlon I went to watch the UK Ironman last Sunday as it's not too far from where I live. The swim was too early for me on a Sunday, but I watched the cycling and running. It was very impressive how close you could get to the competitors and the race compared to other sports. I think I need to make an ironman my goal eventually if at all possible, but I didn't envy them when I saw people running in at the finish!

At least I'm really keen now to do my first and see how I get on!

That is so cool that you got to see that race in person!  There are few things more motivating/inspirational than watching an Ironman Race!!    Good luck at your first tri!!

2011-08-07 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
It is nice to see up close how these athletes perform up close and personal. It's also very cool to see that they are doing the same activities we do (although typically much faster). I think most people evetually dream of an Ironman. Whatever you decide though you will have fun at any triathlon distance. I think my first motivation toward competing in triathlon was watching the race at Kona on TV as a boy.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chrisbowers group "Now We're Rolling!" - Full Rss Feed  

of 13