BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-04-14 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3445598

User image

Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - FULL like whoa!
Mike_D - 2011-04-13 10:21 PM

WittyCityGirl - 2011-04-13 8:51 PM Lori! I am so excited for you to have a new bike! Loved the description-"love at first ride". Laughing NOW, you have to learn how to take care of it! I'm still learning.  I went to a bike maintenance class back in December and learned a bit, but I was still overwhelmed by learning the REAL names for bike parts instead of referring to "the tube-y thing" or "those circles in the front and back that have spikes on them".  Innocent

I'm a bike maintenance know nothing. I need to figure out how to do just about everything. I was the recipient of a SUPER nice carbon tri bike for Christmas, and I'm totally itimidated by it, maintenace wise. I don't want to screw anything up. It is phenominal to ride, but I'm at a loss as to basic repairs, etc. Anyone have any suggestions on how to learn?

Mike, I have been on youtube looking at all kinds of bike maintenance videos.  Maybe a local bike shop offers classes too.  The bike sounds great btw!

2011-04-14 7:36 PM
in reply to: #3445661

User image

itziaol - 2011-04-13 10:53 PM
WittyCityGirl - 2011-04-13 8:54 PM
itziaol - 2011-04-13 9:26 PM

Is anybody else swimming in the sea? 

Confession.  I don't like OWS because of the critters!  I have a hard time swimming in the murky waters near me because I don't know how big the fish are or where the snapping turtles are-I'm POSITIVE they want to nibble on me!  So, I have vowed not to do an ocean swim.  I'm afraid a crab or shark will bite my toes off.

LOL  That's not very engouraging!!  LOL  The truth is that I'd be worried about sharks rather than anything else!!!  I might be losing a bit more than a toe!!!  Tongue out

Mike – I see you are showing off the dungeon of doom.

Chet – I hope your daughter gets better

Sara – Thank you, the meeting went excellent.  I dared, and It worked.

Lori – Thanks.  Congrats on the new bike and club.  We’ll need a photo of the bike though…  :-)

All -  I read your experiences in OWS and I wonder how I’ll do… I hadn’t worried much about it.  Maybe I should prepare myself with more practice as some of you suggested.  Thanks!

I rode with the team this afternoon.  I’m the newest member, and the oldest woman training today.  On Wednesdays we do a 20km ride from Cuernavaca up a mountain.  Temperature and vegetation change as we go up.  Today we started at 102F(39 C).  April and May are the hottest months of the year here.

For the first time I overtook 3 members of the team and then they stopped at 10K.  I went on while they were taking their bikes on the team’s trailer.  I could have gone up that mountain... but they catched up with me at 13Km just as I was about to take the “pera”.  The most famous curve in Mexico because it’s shaped as a pair and it’s very dangerous.  I wish they hadn’t made me stop and get on the team's van, but we have to think of team A who was already at the top of the mountain feeling a little cold.  Getting there was a milestone for me... so much is going on at the moment, that I could feel my heart peddaling rather than my legs...  I just kept thinking "I can do this, just as I can do everything else!!"

Good night!!  Smile

Itzia, sounds like you had an awesome ride!  It shows you are improving when you start passing others and I'm sure it felt great.  It also sounds like pretty tough terrain; heat and hills.  So congrats on both accounts!Smile

2011-04-14 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3446417

User image

cbarnes1 - 2011-04-14 11:18 AM
Mike_D - 2011-04-13 7:21 PM

WittyCityGirl - 2011-04-13 8:51 PM Lori! I am so excited for you to have a new bike! Loved the description-"love at first ride". Laughing NOW, you have to learn how to take care of it! I'm still learning.  I went to a bike maintenance class back in December and learned a bit, but I was still overwhelmed by learning the REAL names for bike parts instead of referring to "the tube-y thing" or "those circles in the front and back that have spikes on them".  Innocent

I'm a bike maintenance know nothing. I need to figure out how to do just about everything. I was the recipient of a SUPER nice carbon tri bike for Christmas, and I'm totally itimidated by it, maintenace wise. I don't want to screw anything up. It is phenominal to ride, but I'm at a loss as to basic repairs, etc. Anyone have any suggestions on how to learn?

I think it is very important to know how to work on your own bike.  I had a bad crash on my tri bike (couldn't have been on my cheep roadie ) a couple years ago in the middle of no where with no cell reception.  I blew a tire on a curve.  I took me about 20 minutes but I got it rolling and somewhat shifting again to get home.  Boy does showering hurt with road rash!  

Mike - Youtube is a great resource.  They have videos on how to do just about everything to your bike.  I do take mine in about once a year to get a tune-up at the LBS but everything else I do myself.  Carbon is not forgiving but most everything you would be working on is in the drive train and the wheels.  Just be careful about tightening anything around or to the carbon.

Daughter off to school today!  Swim this morning then travel day to Southern California for my relay.  I have a 7 mile run at about 11 am Friday, a 8 miler about 11 pm on Friday night, and a 10 miler about 6 am on Saturday morning.  Whole race should take us about 30 hours.  Then it is fun in the sun for 4 more days !!  

Good luck with the race this weekend!  We will be cheering you on in spirit Smile!

2011-04-14 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3445734

User image

kgore - 2011-04-14 12:02 AM

I agree, breathing is the biggest problem I have with swimming. Often when I work on technique (arm placement, turning the whole body, etc...) I will forget to breathe out in the water (hold my breath...) and then I get all uncomfortable and end up hyperventilating. Also, my coach has pointed out that I am angling my head wrong to take breaths--rather than just turning my face to the side, I move my whole head out of the water--I know I shouldn't do that, but I have this weird mental thing about inhaling water--I'm sure that I will...Is that a regular thing for other beginners?

We did a 10 mile bike ride followed by a 10 minute run tonight in my class. There were some pretty wicked hills, and on the way back, those hills we struggled to climb became VERY STEEP! Apparently my bike can go REALLY FAST when it wants to--especially going downhill....and of course, the one thing going through my mind was "the only thing covering my body is a helmet and spandex...that would hurt--a lot!" Thankfully, I stayed upright.

Great job on conquering those hills!  And for staying upright lol Laughing

2011-04-14 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3446829

User image

Twhittum - 2011-04-14 2:02 PM

Hi Group!

I'm hoping this works today-I've left a couple of different messages but they have been eaten by the internet monster. Anyone else having problems?

Congrats on the new bike Lori, I'll be doing my first race on my MTB. I want to see if I really like doing this before I spend lots of money, but I have this crazy feeling that I'm going to become addicted.

MIke-I'm with you on the bike maintance, I've been trying to find information too. I'm wondering if anyone knows if bike shops have classes or anything?

Itzia-no plans on any races at the sea. I'm hoping to do one on Lake Michigan. I perfer Lake Michigan over the ocean anyway, because it's fresh water. You would be surprised but Michigan has some great beaches, and no sharks. You get the ocean feel without all the bad stuff.

Thanks for all the swimming info. My plans where to go swimming Tues. and Thrus. Had to change things up and I'm going tonight, and hopefully tomorrow morning (if I can get up that early).  I really wanted to start getting 2 swim workouts a week, but you know, sometimes life gets in the way. I think I'm going to try the golf game. My goal for tonight is to go 100 meters before I rest. Wish me luck.

Sara and group, any suggestions on clothing for racing. Which do people perfer, wet suit or bathing suit?

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the support, it has really helped me stay motivated for training.

Tracie

I'm also on facebook-Tracie Gregson Whittum

Thanks Tracie!  I am so excited to ride it.  I pick it up this weekend.  Plan on using it next week.  I got a bike as mine was stolen.  I would have just used that (hybrid).  Although the new one is road bike, it's quite comfy so I will ride it with the kids for fun. 

As for clothing, I will definitely be wearing a wetsuit.  I will most likely wear either a bathing suit underneath and pull on bike shorts or wear shorts and top under the wetsuit (is this even possible?).  Good question though.  I wonder what the other's think.

2011-04-14 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3447454

User image

Mike_D - 2011-04-14 6:08 PM

Had my first ART treatment on my injured foot today. Very interesting time. The guys office is in the spa at the Ritz Carleton in Boston, so it was by far the nicest doctors office I've ever seen . Not only that, the spa is adjacent to the LA Sports Club/gym at the hotel, so the whole area is just a gorgeous space. Anyway....

He had me do a few things with standing on one foot, leg bends, walking, etc to see how my feet/legs moved. He checked my feet to isolate the painful areas, we talked about the injury, etc. After a minute of checking things out, he told me he didn't think it was plantar fasciitis. He is thinking it was more likely a pulled/strain/small tear in a muscle in the foot near the arch.  He proceeded with a couple more treatments on the foot. The poking, etc hurt a bit when a tender spot was found, but overall, I felt OK. He gave me a small arch support thing to wear on my foot which seems (so far) to be a great thing. No pain.  Not going to go all crazy, but I'm hopeful. He thinks a couple more sessions will get me on the right road. going back Monday for session 2.

Glad to hear you found something that works!  As for the office, was it any indication of the cost of his services?  lol

2011-04-14 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3445582

User image

Master
Dunedin

GREAT idea to do some swim-only races!

50andgettingfit - 2011-04-13 10:15 PM . One of our local race companies is putting on some swim races this summer and I think I'm going to do a couple just for more race type OP experiences. About those sharks...it always scares me when they bite somebody close to where I have to swim but I just try not to think about it when I'm in the water Surprised

2011-04-14 9:03 PM
in reply to: #3445661

User image

Master
Dunedin

Itzia- congrats on doing such a great job! You must be SO proud of yourself. Laughing

itziaol - 2011-04-13 10:53 PM 

All -  I read your experiences in OWS and I wonder how I’ll do… I hadn’t worried much about it.  Maybe I should prepare myself with more practice as some of you suggested.  Thanks!

I rode with the team this afternoon.  I’m the newest member, and the oldest woman training today.  On Wednesdays we do a 20km ride from Cuernavaca up a mountain.  Temperature and vegetation change as we go up.  Today we started at 102F(39 C).  April and May are the hottest months of the year here.

For the first time I overtook 3 members of the team and then they stopped at 10K.  I went on while they were taking their bikes on the team’s trailer.  I could have gone up that mountain... but they catched up with me at 13Km just as I was about to take the “pera”.  The most famous curve in Mexico because it’s shaped as a pair and it’s very dangerous.  I wish they hadn’t made me stop and get on the team's van, but we have to think of team A who was already at the top of the mountain feeling a little cold.  Getting there was a milestone for me... so much is going on at the moment, that I could feel my heart peddaling rather than my legs...  I just kept thinking "I can do this, just as I can do everything else!!"

Good night!!  Smile

2011-04-14 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3445734

User image

Master
Dunedin

YES! Many times people bring their whole head out of the water to breathe.  A better breathing technique would be keeping one eye (one side of your goggles) under water when you breathe.  It's kind of weird and kind of cool to have one eye out of the water and one eye in the water.

kgore - 2011-04-14 12:02 AM

\Also, my coach has pointed out that I am angling my head wrong to take breaths--rather than just turning my face to the side, I move my whole head out of the water--I know I shouldn't do that, but I have this weird mental thing about inhaling water--I'm sure that I will...Is that a regular thing for other beginners?

2011-04-14 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3446417

User image

Master
Dunedin

Chet, thanks for sharing with the group-having a slight idea of how to deal with bike issues is helpful.  I learned from a class that I don't have to treat my bike like glass, but I do have to take care of it by giving it a bath and lube every now and then. I too take my bike in at least once a year to have a pro tune it up.

Enjoy the relay!!  I'm participating in a shorter one around Seneca Lake (one of New York's "Finger Lakes").  It's GREAT wine country so it'll be hard to focus on my running when I go past the wineries.  I think I have to do three legs of 3-4 miles.

cbarnes1 - 2011-04-14 11:18 AM
Mike_D - 2011-04-13 7:21 PM

I think it is very important to know how to work on your own bike.  I had a bad crash on my tri bike (couldn't have been on my cheep roadie ) a couple years ago in the middle of no where with no cell reception.  I blew a tire on a curve.  I took me about 20 minutes but I got it rolling and somewhat shifting again to get home.  Boy does showering hurt with road rash!  

Mike - Youtube is a great resource.  They have videos on how to do just about everything to your bike.  I do take mine in about once a year to get a tune-up at the LBS but everything else I do myself.  Carbon is not forgiving but most everything you would be working on is in the drive train and the wheels.  Just be careful about tightening anything around or to the carbon.

Daughter off to school today!  Swim this morning then travel day to Southern California for my relay.  I have a 7 mile run at about 11 am Friday, a 8 miler about 11 pm on Friday night, and a 10 miler about 6 am on Saturday morning.  Whole race should take us about 30 hours.  Then it is fun in the sun for 4 more days !!  

2011-04-14 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3446829

User image

Master
Dunedin

Hi Tracie, the BT website was eating my posts for a little while, too.

On race day I used to do a bathing suit and shorts on top.  Then I graduated to a tri top/tri shorts and wetsuit.  THEN I graduated to a tri suit with wetsuit.  I like that I don't have to worry about my tri top rolling up to expose my muffin top because I only use a tri suit now.  I thought the wet bottoms would bother me, but on race day I don't notice my soggy crotch. ha!

Twhittum - 2011-04-14 2:02 PM

Sara and group, any suggestions on clothing for racing. Which do people perfer, wet suit or bathing suit? 

2011-04-14 9:22 PM
in reply to: #3447454

User image

Master
Dunedin

NICE! I am excited for you, Mike.  It's hard to deal with injuries.

Which part of town is the Ritz Carlton?  We stayed at the Hyatt Regency a few weekends ago.  Good location because we were in town to see the Rangers play the Bruins so we could enjoy a few really expensive beers and be able to walk back to the hotel.  I took my husband to that Flour bakery in Fort Point, but he wasn't impressed that we paid $4 for a muffin and they didn't offer to heat it. =)

Mike_D - 2011-04-14 6:08 PM

Had my first ART treatment on my injured foot today. Very interesting time. The guys office is in the spa at the Ritz Carleton in Boston, so it was by far the nicest doctors office I've ever seen . Not only that, the spa is adjacent to the LA Sports Club/gym at the hotel, so the whole area is just a gorgeous space. Anyway....

He had me do a few things with standing on one foot, leg bends, walking, etc to see how my feet/legs moved. He checked my feet to isolate the painful areas, we talked about the injury, etc. After a minute of checking things out, he told me he didn't think it was plantar fasciitis. He is thinking it was more likely a pulled/strain/small tear in a muscle in the foot near the arch.  He proceeded with a couple more treatments on the foot. The poking, etc hurt a bit when a tender spot was found, but overall, I felt OK. He gave me a small arch support thing to wear on my foot which seems (so far) to be a great thing. No pain.  Not going to go all crazy, but I'm hopeful. He thinks a couple more sessions will get me on the right road. going back Monday for session 2.

2011-04-14 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3447626

User image

Master
Dunedin

Iwilltri2 - 2011-04-14 8:23 PM 

Is there a magic # of breaths to take while doing front crawl? 

Ahh, good question!  No magic number, BUT each time you turn to breathe you aren't as aerodynamic in the water and your body has to compensate (aka use more energy) to try and maintain speed.  SO, in theory, you are faster if you breathe every 3 strokes instead of every two.

p.s. group...

I sat in on a guest speaker discussing chair yoga today.  He said basically the same thing about breathing that I mentioned in a previous post-it helps you focus and if you breathe too shallow your pH is affected.  So, keep working on your breathing and focus on quality of breaths not quantity!

2011-04-14 9:29 PM
in reply to: #3447630

User image

Master
Dunedin
Iwilltri2 - 2011-04-14 8:26 PM

I have been watching all kinds of videos on bike maintenance and almost wanted to take hubby's apart and put it back together for practice Wink

LOL!  My husband just bought new Zipp wheels and a friend of ours who works at a local bike shop was going to get a broken Zipp wheel for me so that I could play a prank on my husband.  He'll either get a good chuckle out of it or we'll end up in divorce court.  Those wheels are his babies!

2011-04-14 10:43 PM
in reply to: #3294922

Extreme Veteran

WCG - I'm hopeless at remembering real names so I tend to use forum names. Anyway I have a really basic swim question (well pre-swim actually as it's regarding equipment) what do you look for in a decent pair of goggles - ie how are they meant to fit? I've tried a few on in the shop and they feel like they're sucking my eyes out cos the lens bit goes inside the eye socket.

Oh and here's my stats for today's walk.

16 mins to BFF's (.71 miles) 31:33 mins home (long route - 1.27 miles) with a short rest in between to find out she wasn't home giving me a grand total of 49:33 mins and 1.98 miles.

I'm looking to do a full mile on tomorrow's walk and will be riding to BFF's if she wants me to go round there again  so should be between 1.42 and 1.98 bike miles depending on how I decide to come home.

2011-04-15 6:17 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Happy Friday, everyone!! So many things to mention...

- I'm fortunate to have good health insuracne, and I only pay $20/visit. I'm optimistic about this treatment, but not giving out any Nobel prizes yet - its only been 1 visit. Luckily, this guy gets it. He travels to all the Ironman races to do ART for athletes, and is very familiar with the type of injuries one gets. If this foot thing works out in the next few weeks, I'm still thinking HIM race in September or so. Yeah!

- Swim breathing; without a doubt the biggest thing to 'get' for distance swimming, IMO. When I swim long, it becomes my focus. I know from the *sound* I make when I exhale in the water if I'm getting the rhythm right. Once I get the groove, its all good. I'm a right-side-only breather, and assuming I'm rotating properly, and my head is in the right place, there is a space just to the side of my head I can take a breath. your head should make a bit of a bow wave as you go, and you breath behind that, with one eye in the water, one out. don't lift your head -- makes everything else a wreck.

- Had a great swim workout this AM. Not overly far (1350 yds), but a nice wu/drills/main pace. I went in knowing I was going to push through the 'well, thats enough' attitude, and did. I'm feeling good about this, and will keep the same attitude for all of my workouts.

- I'm re-reading "Be Iron Fit" by Don Fink. While aimed at the IM/HIM distance racer, I can't recommend this book enough for anyone thinking about doing tris at any level. TONS of great insight and info which is applicable to anyone involved or thinking of getting involved in training & racing. If you see this book, buy it, read it, and enjoy. In fact, my swim plan for this AM came from one of the IM distance plans he has in the book.

- YouTube is great for bike repair/maint videos, agree 100%. My new bike is a carbon Cervelo P2, and like I said before, I'm a bit intimidated about making any frame related adjustements. As for the wheels, I'm going to watch some vids and practice tire chaning. I need a new back tire, so it will be a  great time to learn how to change it.

- Bike pump -- what do folks use? I want something good and will last. Also want to be able to use it with my kids & wife's bikes which have the 'nornal' type valves, and my P2 which has some sort of alien looking narrow air valves. Your thoughts appreciated!

- Anyone using a Garmin 310? Thinking about making the leap.

- Weather looking OK for tomorrow AM, thought a bit chilly. Need to get the bike on the road. Maybe tomorrow is the day

OK, thats enought for now

Mike

2011-04-15 7:48 AM

Went swimming last night. When I got to the pool, and cashier said "lap swim times have changed didn't you know?" I was disappointed because I have to drive a 1/2 hour to get there, and I had already missed tues. swim, but I was in luck, there was still 45 mins left. What was even better I had the pool to myself. Had a great swim, and from all advice my breathing was way better. Have a great weekend everyone!

Tracie

2011-04-15 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3447638

User image

Expert
San Jose
Iwilltri2 - 2011-04-14 5:31 PM
50andgettingfit - 2011-04-13 10:15 PM
WittyCityGirl - 2011-04-13 6:54 PM
itziaol - 2011-04-13 9:26 PM

Is anybody else swimming in the sea? 

Confession.  I don't like OWS because of the critters!  I have a hard time swimming in the murky waters near me because I don't know how big the fish are or where the snapping turtles are-I'm POSITIVE they want to nibble on me!  So, I have vowed not to do an ocean swim.  I'm afraid a crab or shark will bite my toes off.

Two of my tri's last year were in the ocean. Both were fairly sheltered bay type areas so it really wasn't too rough. When we went to practice the first time, my niece took us. She's been racing for a few years. My husband always drifts the left so when we got to the first buoy we stopped to regroup.....except for Dave. He was swimming away out to sea. I was laughing and calling him at the same time not sure what I would do if he didn't hear me I think of the 3 sports the swimming takes the most to get used to because most of us swim in pools. One of our local race companies is putting on some swim races this summer and I think I'm going to do a couple just for more race type OP experiences. About those sharks...it always scares me when they bite somebody close to where I have to swim but I just try not to think about it when I'm in the water Surprised

Johanne, I just got a visual of your husband drifting in the sea Laughing.  I have this recurring nightmare that I will be so into my swimming and when I finally look up, I am way off course and I am the only one left in the water Surprised.  To hear this actually happens?  Oh no, now I'm scared!

Don't be scared! Haha! I think we all have a natural sense of preservation, you'd look up and be able to pick an island to swim to Cool

2011-04-15 10:42 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Checking in!

Yesterday was busy, busy , busy for me. My youngest totaled her car a couple of months ago and has been shopping for a new used one. She has an insurance check and she wants to spend it  She's down in So Cal and I'm in NorCal so I told her if she researched and sent me ads, I would follow up on them. I've missed out on 2 really good cars now by showing up right after the first guy looking who buys the car. So she found another one and yesterday I got up at 5:00 for swim at 5:30, dropped my horse trailer off to get new tires by 8:00 and was at the guys house by 8:45. By 9:30 I had bought her the car. Then I spent the rest of the morning going back and forth getting the car home, picking up my trailer, etc. I had an afternoon commitment to trail ride with a friend and then last night Dave was given tickets to the Sharks playoff game so I didn't get home until 11:30 since they had an OVERTIME WIN!!!!!!!!!

The only bad part of the day was I missed my bike workout  It's the first workout I've missed since I got back from vacation 3 weeks ago but oh well! We're doing a 100K bike ride Saturday so missing wasn't the end of the world. This morning I slept (intentionally) through 5:30 swim and now I'm debating if I want to go to 9:00 swim or catch up on what I got behind in yesterday. Today would be an add on swim because my plan is only giving me 2 swims a weeks for this 3 week schedule. I added it because I needed that extra day in the water. I'm also supposed to do an hour run but my quads are still a little tight from my hilly trail run earlier in the week. I'm debating with myself on weather to just take today off and rest for the long bike tomorrow or get at least one of these workouts in. I can easily get into the mind set of skipping workouts but at the same time I know if I take today off I'll get back on track tomorrow. Can you tell I have an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other? Tongue out

Do any of you have these internal debates??? I'm pretty committed to my training but some days I can see how easily I can just walk away from it. Ok, I'm going to try to be productive!

So in rereading this long saga......I'm taking the day off! I have the long bike tomorrow and looking ahead I have some fun workouts coming up so I'm going to give myself a break and look forward to the next workouts. I'd still like to get peoples take on how you handle the ups and downs of training.

Hope everyone has a good day and a great weekend!

Johanne

2011-04-15 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3448556

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
50andgettingfit - 2011-04-15 10:42 AM

Checking in!

Yesterday was busy, busy , busy for me. My youngest totaled her car a couple of months ago and has been shopping for a new used one. She has an insurance check and she wants to spend it  She's down in So Cal and I'm in NorCal so I told her if she researched and sent me ads, I would follow up on them. I've missed out on 2 really good cars now by showing up right after the first guy looking who buys the car. So she found another one and yesterday I got up at 5:00 for swim at 5:30, dropped my horse trailer off to get new tires by 8:00 and was at the guys house by 8:45. By 9:30 I had bought her the car. Then I spent the rest of the morning going back and forth getting the car home, picking up my trailer, etc. I had an afternoon commitment to trail ride with a friend and then last night Dave was given tickets to the Sharks playoff game so I didn't get home until 11:30 since they had an OVERTIME WIN!!!!!!!!!

The only bad part of the day was I missed my bike workout  It's the first workout I've missed since I got back from vacation 3 weeks ago but oh well! We're doing a 100K bike ride Saturday so missing wasn't the end of the world. This morning I slept (intentionally) through 5:30 swim and now I'm debating if I want to go to 9:00 swim or catch up on what I got behind in yesterday. Today would be an add on swim because my plan is only giving me 2 swims a weeks for this 3 week schedule. I added it because I needed that extra day in the water. I'm also supposed to do an hour run but my quads are still a little tight from my hilly trail run earlier in the week. I'm debating with myself on weather to just take today off and rest for the long bike tomorrow or get at least one of these workouts in. I can easily get into the mind set of skipping workouts but at the same time I know if I take today off I'll get back on track tomorrow. Can you tell I have an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other? Tongue out

Do any of you have these internal debates??? I'm pretty committed to my training but some days I can see how easily I can just walk away from it. Ok, I'm going to try to be productive!

So in rereading this long saga......I'm taking the day off! I have the long bike tomorrow and looking ahead I have some fun workouts coming up so I'm going to give myself a break and look forward to the next workouts. I'd still like to get peoples take on how you handle the ups and downs of training.

Hope everyone has a good day and a great weekend!

Johanne

Yep! My most recent one was about 8 hours ago when my alarm went off. I managed to shame myself into getting up, and I'm happy I did. A good swim workout was out there waiting for me!

2011-04-15 11:33 AM

User image

Arizona

Wow, be gone a day and so much goes by. Took my daughter to the airport yesterday and missed my workouts.Cry Also missed a lot on the forum.

Itzia- You go girl. I would say if you can get to some open water and practice you should do it. If you can’t, even try your wetsuit in the pool, although you may get warm, it will help you get used to the constriction feeling. I’m not sure about swimming in the sea, I saw Jaws as a kid and I still have reservations about going into that kind of water.

Mike- I’m glad to hear your injury may not be PF. We had a friend who had it so severe she was willing to try anything for relief. She had surgery to try to open it up, (not exactly sure the procedure and she has not been able to run since November. She even still walks with pain.

Sara- Reading about the breathibg techniques. I have been practicing opposite sde breathing but I will pay more attention to holding my breath and the way I exhale. I tend to want to hold my breath.

Lori-Congrats on your new bike and thanks to all for the good ideas on bike maintenance. I have not even had to change a tube yet and still have so much to learn in that area.

Tracie- Go for the full Tri suit. They just look cool!!Cool Honestly I like it for the same reason Sara did. It was one less thing I had to worry about in transition. Have a great time this weekend.

And everyone thanks for the discussion on the OWS. I will continue to try yo get more experience before I do my next race. Speaking of next race I am doing a local Non-Swim tri tomorrow. It is out of town but I was able to drive through and pick up my packet. I drove the bike course and YIKES! Substantially steep in parts and on some roads with a lot of traffic. 25miles and then a 7.6 mile run with an obstacle course at the end. Going to try to treat it as a training session (C race) and just hope I make the 3 hr cut off time for the bike.

Have a great Weekend everyone! Stay Safe.

2011-04-15 11:50 AM

User image

Arizona
Mike- I almost forgot. I have been using thr Garmin 310xt for about 5 months. It is the only heartmoniter/GPS  I have used so I have nothing to compare to from personal usage. I have TDD, Technology Deficit Disorder, but again youtube was a great help. I have not used it in the pool. I have heard it does not work to good there. I guess it depends on what information you are after. Also I have a hard time taking a $260.00 piece of equipment into the water. I use it on my runs and bike rides. Once I had it set up (Garmin support was really good) I have had good success with it. Not sure how it would work with power meters as that is one luxury I am without and until the price of those comes down some, I can't justify it.
2011-04-15 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3447877

User image

Master
Dunedin
suzielea - 2011-04-14 11:43 PM

what do you look for in a decent pair of goggles - ie how are they meant to fit? I've tried a few on in the shop and they feel like they're sucking my eyes out cos the lens bit goes inside the eye socket.

Oh, good question.  This is a good one for others to chime in on, too.

I have tried different kinds of goggles: regular goggles with silicone/foam around the eyes, "swedish" goggles with no cushion around the eyes, the aquasphere style that covers most of your face, and everything in between.  I usually push the goggles to my eyes and if they stick without the strap then they are a good fit. 

The strap should create two straps so that you have a strap that sits towards the top of your head and one towards the bottom of the back of your head-creates a better seal.

I don't care what sort of "anti-fog" message is on the packaging... in 20 years of swimming ALL of my goggles have fogged at one point or another-regardless of whether I use spit to clean them or anti-fog solution.

Hope that helps a little!

2011-04-15 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3448004

User image

Master
Dunedin

Mike - Your positive attitude ROCKS! Keep it up, man!

I have a Garmin and I puffy heart it.  I haven't had the desire to get one of the waterproof varieties because mine works just fine.  I have it set to auto lap-it tracks my pace every mile and I use it to upload the map of where I ran or biked.  I think it's a cool feature because I have maps of when I ran in Florida and Ireland- a cool momento in my opinion.  I also have the heart rate monitor, too.  I know coaches harp on athletes to train on heart rate, but I had an exercise physiology prof in grad school that said heart rate training has it's own pros and cons, so I just keep track of heart rate for kicks and giggles.

Definitely a good thing to try changing that back tire on your own.  It can be a p.i.t.a. to change, so it's best to try it when you're not stranded on the side of the road or during a race!

2011-04-15 12:04 PM
in reply to: #3448089

User image

Master
Dunedin

Tracie-that's great that you were still able to swim!  I'm happy to hear about the breathing, too. Laughing

Twhittum - 2011-04-15 8:48 AM

Went swimming last night. When I got to the pool, and cashier said "lap swim times have changed didn't you know?" I was disappointed because I have to drive a 1/2 hour to get there, and I had already missed tues. swim, but I was in luck, there was still 45 mins left. What was even better I had the pool to myself. Had a great swim, and from all advice my breathing was way better. Have a great weekend everyone!

Tracie

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72