BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-01-12 12:06 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED

NAME: Wittycitygirl / Sara

STORY: I am a certified swim instructor/swim coach with a MS in Nutrition and BS in Psychology.  I started triathlon about four years ago when I was looking for a fun way to use my swim skills and lose weight for my wedding.  I worked towards a longer distance each year and this past summer I completed Ironman Lake Placid!!  I love triathlon because I am challenged to maintain my swimming technique/endurance I gained through collegiate swimming and challenged to keep improving on the bike and run.  I am currently recovering from a sports hernia repair so I will be "back to basics" to master the sprint/olympic distances this year.  Aside from triathlon I hope to gain admission to a psychology PhD program in the states (currently accepted into a nutrition program in... NEW ZEALAND!).

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Jon for 3 years and have a chocolate lab furbaby, Halligan (1 1/2 years old). 

CURRENT TRAINING: I am starting from square one.  I am slowly building from not being able to walk back to being a lean, mean swim/bike/run machine!  I typically train 5-6 days/week when I'm not "broken". 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Last year, I completed IMLP, Syracuse 70.3, and Broome County Triathlon (sprint) PLUS the Wineglass Marathon and several shorter road races.

2010 RACES:  Broome County Triathlon is my only must-do, but as I recover I KNOW I'll be tempted to sign up for more races.  I would love to sneak in an Olympic (or a HIM!) by the end of the summer.

WEIGHTLOSS: I gained a sizeable amount of weight since Lake Placid due to my injury.  My goal is not necessarily weight-loss per se. I'd love to be able to fit into my clothes again!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have mentored a swim-focused group in the past (2 years ago, took a year off for training for the Ironman), so I have an idea of what triathletes expect out of the experience.  I will be a good mentor for anyone sprint-distance to Ironman that feels that the swim portion of triathlon is his/her weakness, but since I am myself not capable of racing the longer distances I would love to mentor triathletes training for a spring or olympic distance.  I have the educational background to guide people with their nutrition questions and have the swim background to guide people with their training.  I am also a great motivator... GET TO THE POOL!!! 

Edited by WittyCityGirl 2011-04-17 6:35 PM

2011-04-09 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3294922

Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - OPEN

Hi,

My name is Tracie and I would love to join your mentoring group.

I'm brand new to the Tri world, and I'm exicted about my first one on June 5th.

I'm pretty new to running, just did my first 1/2 marathon in Feb. My last 5k in March I did in 32 min.

I feel that swimming is my weakness. I'm an ok swimmer, but I never swam competitively. I've just started getting to the pool a couple of weeks ago. I had to push myself to get out of my comfort zone.

On a personal note I just turned the big 4-0 and have lost 70lbs in the last 2 1/2 years. I'm married with 2 kids, they are 2 1/2, and 4.

I'm ready to take my fitness to a new level.Laughing

Looking forward to great spring training.

Tracie

2011-04-09 11:25 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-09 12:21 PM

Hi 

Can i be part of this group i will put my bio up later.

Cheers 

Simon

2011-04-09 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3437487

Master
Dunedin

Welcome Tracie!  Thanks for joining our little group.  We're going to have a fun time getting to know each other and motivating each other!

Twhittum - 2011-04-09 11:55 AM

Hi,

My name is Tracie and I would love to join your mentoring group.

I'm brand new to the Tri world, and I'm exicted about my first one on June 5th.

I'm pretty new to running, just did my first 1/2 marathon in Feb. My last 5k in March I did in 32 min.

I feel that swimming is my weakness. I'm an ok swimmer, but I never swam competitively. I've just started getting to the pool a couple of weeks ago. I had to push myself to get out of my comfort zone.

On a personal note I just turned the big 4-0 and have lost 70lbs in the last 2 1/2 years. I'm married with 2 kids, they are 2 1/2, and 4.

I'm ready to take my fitness to a new level.Laughing

Looking forward to great spring training.

Tracie

2011-04-09 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3437520

Master
Dunedin

*blush* Thanks Fred-you're an even BETTER mentor!!

Fred Doucette - 2011-04-09 12:25 PM

I just wanted to say that Sara is and will be an EXCELLENT mentor. She is very experienced and knowledgable about triathlon and training.

I would highly recommend this group!

2011-04-09 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3437589

Master
Dunedin

Yes, Simon, welcome to the group!  Looking forward to reading your bio.

silverback25 - 2011-04-09 1:21 PM

Hi 

Can i be part of this group i will put my bio up later.

Cheers 

Simon

2011-04-09 1:33 PM

Arizona

Name :pyroman1_1/ Dave

Story: I've been a fireman for a small town in northern AZ for a little over 27 years. My journey or should I say our journey(My wife and I) started in November of 2009 when our daughter competed in the Las Vegas Silverman. Her performance inspired us to do something to get in better shape. We committed to running a mile everyday for a year. We started the Monday we came home from Las Vegas and though I would say it was not easy we completed a whole year without missing a day. This is alone another story in itself. Along the way we changed our diet and added some bike riding and excercises. Long story short, I lost 55 lbs and my wife lost 35 lbs. It has been life changing to say the least. Well we now had crossed the line and there was no looking back. We started training for our first sprint triathlon. One thing neither of us had done much of was swim. We signed up at the local wellness center and began to swim. I have made improvements in the pool but find I struggle with drills , tempo and just plain figuring out what to do. We did get some basic instruction from staff but I feel like I still floundering a little bit, heck a lot actually. We did our first sprint triathlon in Havasu as a family. My wife and daughter participated also, and had a blast, but I thought I was going to die in the swim. It was my first OWS and first in a wetsuit. Oh My Gosh. The first 100 meters were ok and then the feeling of impending doom set in. I asked God to please not let me drown in front of my family.  Needless to say I was not sure I even wanted to get back in the pool again, but with encouragemnt from my wife and daughter I am ready to move on. I really feel this is the Mentor group for me and would love to be a part of it.

Family Status: Married 35years to the same woman. She's a Keeper! 3 grown children

This years races: 4-5 Sprint races. Doing it for fun and fitness

Current Training: Swim 3x week, weights 2x week, run 2x week, bike 2x week weather permitting I have been keeping track of my training on Training Peaks but am willing to post in both locations.

Weight Loss: No longer worried about weight, 5'6" weigh 145lbs. Looking to improve fitness, diet , swim and courage .

I am motivated , just need some direction! Thanks

2011-04-09 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3437655

Master
Dunedin

Welcome to the group, Dave.  I really enjoyed reading your bio... I am very inspired by your mission to run every day for a year-congrats on such a powerful achievement!

We have 3 in the group so far: Tracie, Simon and Dave.  I'll close when we get closer to 10.  For the mean time, can you folks start adding each other to your "friends"?  I strongly believe that sending each other inspires-even just a "good job" is such a great aspect of the whole BT site.  It's always nice to read something from someone else that encourages me.

Hope you all are having a fabulous weekend so far!  New York FINALLY crawled out of frigid temps and we were in the 50s today, so I was able to go for a 20 mile ride outdoors.

pyroman1_1 - 2011-04-09 2:33 PM

Name :pyroman1_1/ Dave

Story: I've been a fireman for a small town in northern AZ for a little over 27 years. My journey or should I say our journey(My wife and I) started in November of 2009 when our daughter competed in the Las Vegas Silverman. Her performance inspired us to do something to get in better shape. We committed to running a mile everyday for a year. We started the Monday we came home from Las Vegas and though I would say it was not easy we completed a whole year without missing a day. This is alone another story in itself. Along the way we changed our diet and added some bike riding and excercises. Long story short, I lost 55 lbs and my wife lost 35 lbs. It has been life changing to say the least. Well we now had crossed the line and there was no looking back. We started training for our first sprint triathlon. One thing neither of us had done much of was swim. We signed up at the local wellness center and began to swim. I have made improvements in the pool but find I struggle with drills , tempo and just plain figuring out what to do. We did get some basic instruction from staff but I feel like I still floundering a little bit, heck a lot actually. We did our first sprint triathlon in Havasu as a family. My wife and daughter participated also, and had a blast, but I thought I was going to die in the swim. It was my first OWS and first in a wetsuit. Oh My Gosh. The first 100 meters were ok and then the feeling of impending doom set in. I asked God to please not let me drown in front of my family.  Needless to say I was not sure I even wanted to get back in the pool again, but with encouragemnt from my wife and daughter I am ready to move on. I really feel this is the Mentor group for me and would love to be a part of it.

Family Status: Married 35years to the same woman. She's a Keeper! 3 grown children

This years races: 4-5 Sprint races. Doing it for fun and fitness

Current Training: Swim 3x week, weights 2x week, run 2x week, bike 2x week weather permitting I have been keeping track of my training on Training Peaks but am willing to post in both locations.

Weight Loss: No longer worried about weight, 5'6" weigh 145lbs. Looking to improve fitness, diet , swim and courage .

I am motivated , just need some direction! Thanks

2011-04-09 1:51 PM

Expert
Henderson, NV

Count me in!!

I have been in a couple of groups and have found a substantial difference in my training when I am part of one.  I have really enjoyed meeting and interacting with other athletes that struggle with training, family, work etc.

BIO: 

I am 38, married with 2 kids, 6 and 8.  I started out running 5 years ago and moved into triathlons in 2008. 

Goals:

I have 2 main goals: 1) Complete my second Ironman in June 2012 (IMCdA) for my 40th birthday 2) Run the Boston Marathon (qualified twice but shut out of registration last year and probably not fast enough for this year)

Races:

I race about once a month (all over the place type and distance).  Next "A" race is a HIM in October.  I have Ragnar So Cal Thursday, about 25 miles of the relay is mine.

Weaknesses:

I don't hold up well to hard marathon training and I don't run well off the bike.  Both of which I hope to improve on this year.

Very excited about the group, Chet

2011-04-09 2:05 PM

New user

Arizona

Name: sashaosa/ Alicia

Story: My best friend/hubby just told me about this mentor program and I would love to join.  My daughter is the one who got me motivated to move.  She did a Silverman in 2009 while my husband and I watched.  It was amazing! So...the next day my husband and I decided to run 1 mile a day for a year.  We did it!! Rain, shine, snow, even at 11:30 one night. Anyways, once we were done, we thought what next.  Gotta do something, so we got ourselves some bikes and started riding and started swimming.  My daughter and husband signed up for a triathlon in Lake Havasu City in March and were all excited about doing the sprint together.  I was sorta moping because I had not signed up and they were both all excited and talking about training... a few days later my daughter announces that they signed me up and I had better get on a training program.  That was all it took.  The day came and oh my goodness!!!   The bike ride went well, the run was ok but the swim was awful!  I felt I was going to die. The poor lifeguard kept asking me if i was ok and if I should quit.  Heck no!!! I was out there,  I couldn't catch my breath but I thought I am not going to quit.  I have to finish!  I did.  But I need lots of help on my swim.  I am so glad there is someone out there who is willing to help me. and again I would love to be a part of this mentor group,  Thank you.  Alicia

Goals: strenght in arms and legs and become a better swimmer, and weight loss

2011-04-09 2:22 PM

Veteran
Destin, Florida

I would like to join.  My name is Tim.  I will put up my bio later.

Tim

2011-04-09 3:00 PM

Expert
San Jose

I'd love in on the group! I'll post a bio later today. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Johanne

2011-04-09 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3437660

Arizona
Awesome! Sunshine in New YorkCool and I'm looking at 4" of snow on the ground outside today in AZ.Laughing
2011-04-09 4:18 PM

Hello!

Assuming that one does not need to be brand new...(I have 4 sprints under my belt) I would love to be part of your group. I am more of a "keep fit" person than a competitive racer. I am definitely a weak swimmer. The summer before last was my first season and at that point I had never swam a lap. I had never had lesson or done anything but paddle around a bit at the beach and I NEVER got my face wet. It took me 4 months to work up to swimming 500 yards with my face in the water. Truly...my first month in the pool was overcoming ear and becoming comfortable. It was very daunting, but I never missed a scheduled day. Swimming is easier now, but I am slow and inefficient. My longest swim in a race is 650 yards in open water and this year I signed up for an event (Iron Girl Comumbia) that will require 1200 yards. I needed a new challenge. So, Coach Sarah...if you are up for a challenge...I might be it!

Laura

2011-04-09 4:23 PM

More Bio later!

2011-04-09 7:47 PM

Expert
Henderson, NV
Dave and Alecia - I did Silverman in 2008, tough course!  Great to see a couple in the group.  My wife is now a runner and I ran with her on her first marathon in February.  It has been great for us, minus the competition for the early morning workout here in Vegas
2011-04-09 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3437669

Master
Dunedin

Welcome, Chet!  Glad to have you as a part of our group.   Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

cbarnes1 - 2011-04-09 2:51 PM

Count me in!!

I have been in a couple of groups and have found a substantial difference in my training when I am part of one.  I have really enjoyed meeting and interacting with other athletes that struggle with training, family, work etc.

BIO: 

I am 38, married with 2 kids, 6 and 8.  I started out running 5 years ago and moved into triathlons in 2008. 

Goals:

I have 2 main goals: 1) Complete my second Ironman in June 2012 (IMCdA) for my 40th birthday 2) Run the Boston Marathon (qualified twice but shut out of registration last year and probably not fast enough for this year)

Races:

I race about once a month (all over the place type and distance).  Next "A" race is a HIM in October.  I have Ragnar So Cal Thursday, about 25 miles of the relay is mine.

Weaknesses:

I don't hold up well to hard marathon training and I don't run well off the bike.  Both of which I hope to improve on this year.

Very excited about the group, Chet

Edited by WittyCityGirl 2011-04-09 8:57 PM
2011-04-09 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3437678

Master
Dunedin

Hi Alicia!  Welcome to our group.  I started reading your bio and thought...wow, I think I heard a similar story before! Smile I hope you find this group a helpful and motivating one.  Have a great weekend!

sashaosa - 2011-04-09 3:05 PM

Name: sashaosa/ Alicia

Story: My best friend/hubby just told me about this mentor program and I would love to join.  My daughter is the one who got me motivated to move.  She did a Silverman in 2009 while my husband and I watched.  It was amazing! So...the next day my husband and I decided to run 1 mile a day for a year.  We did it!! Rain, shine, snow, even at 11:30 one night. Anyways, once we were done, we thought what next.  Gotta do something, so we got ourselves some bikes and started riding and started swimming.  My daughter and husband signed up for a triathlon in Lake Havasu City in March and were all excited about doing the sprint together.  I was sorta moping because I had not signed up and they were both all excited and talking about training... a few days later my daughter announces that they signed me up and I had better get on a training program.  That was all it took.  The day came and oh my goodness!!!   The bike ride went well, the run was ok but the swim was awful!  I felt I was going to die. The poor lifeguard kept asking me if i was ok and if I should quit.  Heck no!!! I was out there,  I couldn't catch my breath but I thought I am not going to quit.  I have to finish!  I did.  But I need lots of help on my swim.  I am so glad there is someone out there who is willing to help me. and again I would love to be a part of this mentor group,  Thank you.  Alicia

Goals: strength in arms and legs and become a better swimmer, and weight loss

2011-04-09 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3437701

Master
Dunedin
jayhawkrichie - 2011-04-09 3:22 PM

I would like to join.  My name is Tim.  I will put up my bio later.

Tim

Edited by WittyCityGirl 2011-04-09 8:58 PM
2011-04-09 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3437745

Master
Dunedin

Welcome Johanne, I LOVE your BT screen name!

50andgettingfit - 2011-04-09 4:00 PM

I'd love in on the group! I'll post a bio later today. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Johanne

Edited by WittyCityGirl 2011-04-09 8:55 PM

2011-04-09 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3437748

Master
Dunedin

You can keep that snow!!!  I don't want anymore!  This has been the WORST winter I can remember.  We used to get storms, and I'm fine with 6-12" of snow once in a while, but this winter the cold snaps would just go on and on and on. Ugh!  BUT, on Monday we're going to hit the 70s.  I think I'm going to work in my bathing suit to celebrate (just kidding, of course)!

pyroman1_1 - 2011-04-09 4:02 PM Awesome! Sunshine in New YorkCool and I'm looking at 4" of snow on the ground outside today in AZ.Laughing

2011-04-09 8:32 PM
in reply to: #3437836

Master
Dunedin

Great! Looking forward to your bio.  Enjoy your weekend, Laura!

nadaswimmer - 2011-04-09 5:23 PMMore Bio later!

Edited by WittyCityGirl 2011-04-09 8:55 PM
2011-04-09 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3438018

Master
Dunedin

I agree.  At Ironman Lake Placid last year and the year before I saw several couples crossing the finish line together- that takes SUCH commitment to have the patience and desire to train and race as a team.  Kudos to supporting each other through a very healthy lifestyle!

My husband and I do tris together, but I beat him to finishing the first Ironman. Smile He told me the other night that he couldn't come to dinner because he had to bike (he's training for Ironman Lake Placid) and in response to my body language that told him I didn't approve he told me "This isn't Mickey Mouse stuff" and I said, "I know...I did this race first, remember?"  Felt good to remind him that he has been "chicked" in the "who is tougher" realm of things!

I'm excited for all the folks joining our group!  I'll keep it open for a few more people and then we'll officially close it. 

cbarnes1 - 2011-04-09 8:47 PM Dave and Alecia - I did Silverman in 2008, tough course!  Great to see a couple in the group.  My wife is now a runner and I ran with her on her first marathon in February.  It has been great for us, minus the competition for the early morning workout here in Vegas

2011-04-09 8:59 PM

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Hi! I would like to join your group as well! I belonged to another group in the last round of 'em, and I wasn't at my best about noting activity...so I will improve on that--and many other things!!!!

I haven't done a triathlon yet--my first one is a mini sprint on May 22, followed 2 weeks later by a full sprint. I am  taking part in a training class right now whose primary focus is getting the basics down and being prepared for that second sprint that I signed up for. Apart from that, I also do workouts (biking! lots of biking!! starting this week, as I start bike-commuting to school and work!)for all the disciplines plus weights (though not much lately), as well as using my Wii fit!

I am married, no kids, but quite a few pets (Reptiles, amphibians, 2 cats, and a spoiled, stubborn Shiba Inu dog), and I work full time and am finishing (hopefully) college as well....I work as the primary reptile/amphibian keeper at the local zoo, and I'm majoring in anthropology. Beyond that, I like to read, watch/play hockey, and hike. But I'm not busy or anything!Laughing

I definitely can stand to lose a few (or more) pounds--in fact, triathlon was became my goal due to my wanting a motivating way to lose weight.

My best discipline is the bike, I can swim, but not efficiently (hence my training class), and running and I have never been close friends...but I am known to be stubbornly determined, so I will do this--especially with a group to learn from and get motivated by!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72