BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-05-03 7:27 PM
in reply to: #3480651

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
Christy-red wine is an important component of my triathlon training........of course I drink it just for its' medicinal value and never while I'm actually swimming, biking or running....don't want to spill any on my workout clothes. 

Randy 

2011-05-04 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

Good morning!  I feel better today.  At least the vertigo has been going away quicker each time I have an attack.

What is everyone up to today?  Rainy today so left the bike at home (wanted to see about a little spin around post at lunch).  My training for the day may be a wedding cake tasting this afternoon.  Rough life for the groom to be!  I'm moving out of my current rental and in with the fiancee soon, so I have to show our house to some potential renters tonight, but if I have time bewteen the cake tasting and that I'll try to get my first swim in awhile in.

2011-05-04 8:18 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Great weather down here on the horizon for the next week.  Probably another swim at lunch since my left leg did not react well to my run on Sunday.  Its much better and I will bike tonight and possible do a mile or two run after biking to see how my leg (hamstring, quad, calf.....etc..) do.  Tough getting old.

I've got an olympic race coming up a week from Saturday and lack of run over the last 2+ weeks has me concerned.  If I can get back to 100% by the weekend I should be ok with a week to work back into a little bit of running fitness.  

Randy  
2011-05-04 8:33 AM

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX

Great weather here in Dallas! Will bike and run today. Sure hope your vertigo gets better, Joe. Between that and your wedding...wow!

Randy, I know about that getting older. My knees...aarrgggh! Never give up, though!

2011-05-04 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Cold and rainy here.  I swam 2000yds today.  Wanted to do more but the pool was so crowded it was getting difficult. 

@Joe-Enjoy the cake tasting!  I wish I was eating cake today.

Christy

2011-05-04 11:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

@Joe: I am glad to hear your vertigo 'attacks' are becoming quicker to recover from, also enjoy the cake tasting. I am told by my 'boss' that we will be scheduling that soon also.

Thanks for the information about the different types of rear wheel trainers and roller trainers. I found a really great deal (at least from the ad), on a trainer via Craigslist.

Yesterday, I had a great workout. 30 minutes of strength training, and decided to do an endurance run. 25 minutes on the treadmill, with a sole focus on keeping my heart rate below 140. After my brick on Sunday I realized that I have not been breathing properly, and had a really hard time keeping my HR low....this is not normal for me. The run felt great, and overall I was really pleased with the training session. Not sure what I will do today, I have a Sprint Tri on Saturday so I don't want to overdo any training, and ensure that I have fresh legs. Thinking I might go for a short bike ride (25 miles).Regardless I am definitely going to do another solid session of stretching, the session this morning felt great.

@Christy: I am sorry to hear about attending the funeral, it is definitely hard to stay focused when life's events occur. Instead of turning away from training, a lot of times I find myself looking forwarding to training (swim, bike, run, strength training etc), and trying to zone everything out. I have found that there are certain times when I am unsuccessful at this, but it is still training time I guess.

@Randy: Best of luck with the rest of your training for the Olympic.

Edited by Savage8778 2011-05-04 11:31 AM

2011-05-04 12:33 PM
in reply to: #3481712

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
Christy, You are my new hero! How long have you been racing tris? Swimming,running,biking? Do you look forward to all three trainings or do you dread one over the other? Smile

Edited by djb45 2011-05-04 12:35 PM
2011-05-04 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3481851

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

djb45 - 2011-05-04 12:33 PM Christy, You are my new hero! How long have you been racing tris? Swimming,running,biking? Do you look forward to all three trainings or do you dread one over the other? Smile

@Deb-You just made my day!!! I've been smiling since I read your post.  Are you sure you're not my mom, pretending to be someone else?

I did my first tri 6 or 7 years ago.  I did 3, then took a few years off (moved and had kids).  I started again last year.  I've been trying REALLY hard to stick to my training plan this year.  Last year I kind of slacked off with my training.  At the end of the season I knew I could have done so much better if I would have stuck with my training.  I've been swimming forever.  Biking and running are new to me.  I don't mind swimming or running.  I dread biking outside.  I actually get sick to my stomach I'm so nervous.  I try to put the fear in the back of my mind and just do it. 

Thanks again!!

2011-05-04 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3481915

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
I'll be checking in on your training hoping I get more motivated. I really want to train and race and just need to kick my motivation bobo to get into gear. Plenty of time and no excuses for me since my kiddos are grown! Yea for this group!
2011-05-04 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Stumbled across an interesting article during lunch today. http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Stop-Running-Long-on-Sundays.htm?cmp=306&memberid=115110455&lyrisid=21823470, a interesting look at scheduling of long runs (Sundays) after long bike days (Saturdays). I thought it was interesting, since we have been talking about recovery and rest days briefly.

2011-05-04 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

Beautiful day today - hoping my husband leaves work early so I can get a small ride and small run in. This is my last 'brick' before race day. My nerves are really getting to me. Sunday we went out to the race site and I think reality hit. I thought I was prepared, but I really don't feel like I am. It's as if I wish I had an two weeks so I can run the course and familiarize myself with it.

I really hope these are just 'First Timer' nerves. Embarassed

2011-05-04 4:24 PM

User image

New user

The talk about indoor trainers is interesting - I'm a fan of just 'manning up' and gettincold/wet.

Stunning day over in the UK today! I went out on a tough hilly ride with some people from the university cycling team and then a 5k run straight after. I decided that I should start doing a few more bricks. 

How many times are you guys doing bricks? And roughly what sort of distances?

2011-05-04 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3482347

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
chugger99 - 2011-05-04 4:24 PM

The talk about indoor trainers is interesting - I'm a fan of just 'manning up' and gettincold/wet.

Stunning day over in the UK today! I went out on a tough hilly ride with some people from the university cycling team and then a 5k run straight after. I decided that I should start doing a few more bricks. 

How many times are you guys doing bricks? And roughly what sort of distances?

I only do bricks once a week.  I do a short run after my long bike.  This weekend it's a 2 hour ride and a 50 min run.  This will be the longest one I've done.  I'm kind of nervous about it. 

2011-05-04 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3482309

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
khharms - 2011-05-04 3:58 PM

Beautiful day today - hoping my husband leaves work early so I can get a small ride and small run in. This is my last 'brick' before race day. My nerves are really getting to me. Sunday we went out to the race site and I think reality hit. I thought I was prepared, but I really don't feel like I am. It's as if I wish I had an two weeks so I can run the course and familiarize myself with it.

I never feel prepared enough.  I think there is always some doubt.  BUT...you've put in the training and you are ready!!!  My first race of the season is in 2 weeks and 4 days.  I'm sick to my stomach just thinking about it.  I don't think the nerves ever to away.  Just trust in your training, do your best and have fun.  I can't wait to hear how it went.

Christy

2011-05-04 7:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
khharms - 2011-05-04 4:58 PM

What race are you doing this weekend? I am doing a sprint triathlon here in Jacksonville. Not worried about the distance, more worried about the little things (transitions), and essentially the fear of the unknown. Best of luck, look forward to comparing notes on our first time tris.

2011-05-04 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3482657

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

What race are you doing this weekend? I am doing a sprint triathlon here in Jacksonville. Not worried about the distance, more worried about the little things (transitions), and essentially the fear of the unknown. Best of luck, look forward to comparing notes on our first time tris.

Good luck this weekend!

2011-05-04 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

I'm doing a Super Sprint here in Houston - it's women only, I had to leave the testosterone out, lol! We were trying to figure out where transition will be set up, and for the life of me, I couldn't figure it out. As we were leaving the park a ton of fear came over me. I just hope I can mentally run through it before the horns sound! I guess I'll have to find someone to follow, ha!

I'm in the second of 6 waves, hopefully that's a good place to be

2011-05-04 8:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
Double post.

Edited by khharms 2011-05-04 8:07 PM
2011-05-05 12:00 AM

User image

@ Randy, I wanted to thank you for leaving me an inspiration in my training log. It motivated me to get out and run 4 miles. I have been busy with my daughter and son starting their t-ball season. Practices and games sprinkled throughout the week make it difficult to fit in training but I need to work better at it and not let lazyness get the best of me.

2011-05-05 6:07 AM
in reply to: #3482942

User image

Master
South Alabama
PnkHxC81 - 2011-05-05 12:00 AM

@ Randy, I wanted to thank you for leaving me an inspiration in my training log. It motivated me to get out and run 4 miles. I have been busy with my daughter and son starting their t-ball season. Practices and games sprinkled throughout the week make it difficult to fit in training but I need to work better at it and not let lazyness get the best of me.

Kevin-no problem.  I was worried that you may have been sick or suffered an injury.  No way I would be doing as much training and racing if my kids were 10 years younger....there just was not the time then. Things change as they get older and start driving......although thats a whole different set of problems/concerns

Group-the "inspire" feature in the training log is a great way to check in on a friend or provide a few words of support.  I like to take a peak at my friends training to see what they are doing.  Sometimes I get new workout idea to use or see that someone may be struggling with something.  I still regularly check in with some "friends" I made in my last 2 mentor groups.   If you have time try to "inspire" someone periodically.  Sometimes a positive word or knowing that there are people here supporting what you do can be motivating.

Have a good Thursday........racers, take a deep breath and enjoy!

Randy 
2011-05-05 8:11 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Who is racing this weekend?

Nick-Sprint
Karla-Super Sprint

Anyone else?

Randy 

2011-05-05 8:14 AM

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
I still get nerves, too! You'll forget all about them once you jump into the pool. You'll do fine!
2011-05-05 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3483211

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
I have a sprint next weekend and an open water June 5th. My FIRST open water.....eegaads!
2011-05-05 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3482665

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
Good luck on your race, Christy! I'll be thinking about you and focusing my "joo joo" power to help you get thru the tough parts!
2011-05-05 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

How do you decide when you are tired and need a break, or just tired and need to push through?  I'm exhausted.  I woke up early to run this morning.  I need to get a swim in today.  But I'm so tired.  How do you decide when to push yourself and when to take a break.  This week and next week are my highest training hours so I feel like i need to push myself.  On the other hand, I don't want to get hurt or sick.

Any thoughts?

Christy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56