BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-04-08 7:28 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: I can start now

NAME: jsiegs - Joe

STORY:  Train hard and have fun - that's how I feel about triathlons (hence the group name).  I'm a NH native who came to Baltimore for college and I've stuck around since.  I'm 27 and in my 4th year of triathlon.  I started out just winging it, did alright, but more importantly, had a lot of fun.  I picked up the volume, but had no idea what I was doing (and wanted to know how some of those guys were so much faster than me!).  Eventually found BT, and have immersed myself in training plans, philosophy, details, etc.  I'm good friends with a coworker who is aslo a coach and he's gotten me more involved and been a mentor to me.  

I love the scientific approach (I'm a ChemE by trade).  Mass and energy balances - what goes in equals what comes out...it's science!  Physiological theory and scientific studies are up my alley.  I upgraded to training with a powermeter this past fall and I feel I'm pretty confident with it, but still find I'm learning more everyday.

FAMILY STATUS: This will be a big year for me - getting married to my wonderful fiancee on Aug. 20!

CURRENT TRAINING: I took a big run focus over the winter and have been immersed in power on the bike.  I'm working with my friend to build my specific training plan building to my A race - Eagleman.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Nothing yet in 2011.  In 2010, I had a disappointing entry to the Half-Iron distance, which I'm focusing on making up for this year.  I was pretty happy with my results in other Olympic and Sprint races

2011 RACES: 

Rumpus in Bumpass Oly - 4/16

Columbia Triathlon - 5/22

Eagleman 70.3 - 6/12

Tri-to-Win Sprint - 6/19

TBD race before I get married

WEIGHTLOSS: I am not currently focusing on losing weight.  When I started training, I did track calories and really focus on nutrition and dropping a few "soft" pounds, so I've been there.  I've stopped focusing on it, but it is something I still think about.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I love talking tri's to anyone who will listen.  I sometimes worry that I bother my friends and family too much with it, but since I have starting triathlons, many have come to me for advice on training for their first 5k, 10k, and triathlons.  I will offer opinions where I can (and encourage members to offer theirs as well), help search for information when I can't and really focus on making this group an environment of open discussion where everyone participates and offers input.  I had that in my last mentor group (as a mentee) and it was a great experience I hope to replicate here.  While I am focusing on the HIM distance and training with power, I encourage any and all to join!

Edited by jsiegs 2011-05-01 6:17 PM

2011-04-10 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - Open
Randy (slornow) will be joining me mentoring for this group!
2011-04-10 4:07 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: jsieg's Train Hard and Have Fun group - Open
When can I start-right away.

NAME-Randy/ BT name is "slornow" as is slornow than before. Age 48-attorney

LOCATION-Fairhope, Alabama.  Just across Mobile Bay from the City of Mobile and about 45 minutes from the Gulf.

STORY- Started training for triathlons 2 years ago.  Played tennis competitively as a junior and a couple of years of college.  After college I continued to exercise regularly...some running, tennis, weights, soccer, basketball.  Nothing too serious but consistent.  When my children started running cross country I started running more consistently doing local races including a couple of half marathons. Problem was that I always seemed to suffer some type of injury with increased volume.  Thought the cross training aspect of triathlons might be a good balance.  Quickly got hooked and love it although the swimming thing is still hard to get figured out.  Now I'm trying to hang in there long enough to move into an "older" AG next year.

FAMILY-married to my tolerant and supportive wife for almost 21 years. Son HS junior and daughter HS sophmore. My wife frequently asks what "costume" I am wearing today to learn of my training plans.......yeah she thinks she's funny.

CURRENT TRAINING-I love training and the satisfaction it brings.  I usually average about 10-12 hours a week. Weekly breakdown is typically 2-3 swims, 3-4 runs and 5 bike.  I got a new bike at the beginning of the year so naturally have been a little bike focused over the past few months. Trained with an online coach through 2010 but going it on my own this year, so far.

2010 RACES-Sidelined during the first few months of 2010 with a hamstring injury so spent alot of time in the pool.
July-Chattanooga Waterfront Olympic (qualified for USAT AG Nationals)
Aug-Hammerhead Olympic, Jacksonville Florida
September-Olympic USAT AG Nationals, Tuscaloosa Alabama (Wow there are some fast folks out there...I was more back of the middle of the pack but provided needed balance to a fast field). 
Nov.-Ironstar HIM-Conroe, Texas

2011 RACES-Kind of up in the air other than what is listed below.  Mostly sprints and olympic distance with maybe a Fall HIM.
4/2/11-Traditions Sprint, Biloxi MS.  3rd in AG.....my first "podium"
4/16/11-Mullet Man Sprint, Gulf Shores Alabama   2nd in AG
?????
7/10/2011-Chattanooga Waterfront Olympic "A" race
???
???

WEIGHTLOSS-not really an issue for me although I have probably lost 10-15 lbs since getting into this.  Currently 5'10-11 168 lbs

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR-I met Joe through our last mentor group.  It was a great group and inspired me to step up and give it a try.  All the better to do it with someone fast like Joe.  We should be able to give you the old/slow perspective (that would be me) and the young/fast perspective (that would be Joe).  I have been fortunate to be in a couple of great mentor groups over the last year and hope we can provide the same experience.  I check in at BT several times a day, log all of my training here and  really enjoy following folks progress in the sport.  BT and the mentor groups have been an integral part in getting me to this point in the sport and I look forward to exchanging thoughts, advice and motivation with a new group.         

Edited by slornow 2011-04-26 11:05 AM
2011-04-12 6:34 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-25 11:39 AM

Veteran
Katy, TX

Can I join you?!?!

NAME: khharms - Karla

STORY: I took interest in Tri's in 2009 when I decided to start 'training' for a Sprint. I use the word training loosely because I had no idea what to do. I started going to a tri training class on Friday mornings at the Y. I loved it, but then work got in the way. Then Oct of 2009 I got pregnant (7 weeks before my wedding). The tri I signed up for was 1 week before my wedding... I was completely unprepared, and overwhelmed with other things going on in my life that I did not show up for the tri.

Fast forward to today... I am 13 days away from my first tri - a super sprint (the shortest tri in TX: 200m swim, 8 mile bike, 2 mile run) I have been training for 6 weeks, and I'm ready (sort of!)

I am a swimmer, but in a pool, not a lake! I have never been on a group ride (I spin, at the gym), and I don't even pretend to run (12 minutes is roughly my pace). As you can see, I have a lot riding against me, but I'm not going to let my fall-backs stop me. I'm using this particular tri as a trial: is this what I really want to do? (I have a feeling it is!) I have not put in a ton of training (like I should) or a lot of money, yet.

I'm not in it to win it, just finish.. then work on my weaknesses.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my best friend, mother to a 10 month old baby girl and 6 year old fur baby!

CURRENT TRAINING: Training for my first super sprint on May 8th. I have my 'real' training schedule set up for other races later this year.

2011 RACES: 

TriGirl all women Super Sprint, May 8th - Registered. Sprint Tri, August 14 - Not Registered. Sprint Tri, Oct 30 - Not Registered. Once I finish my first then I will register for the other two Smile

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm a woman... I always want to lose weight! I have 15 lbs to lose to get to my goal weight, 4 of those lbs are lingering baby weight. I don't obsess over losing weight, but it is always a concern. The last 15lbs are my goal before getting pregnant again.

2011-04-25 11:43 AM

Master
South Alabama
Karla. Welcome to the group. I'm on the road untilthis evening. Will visit more then. Randy

2011-04-25 7:09 PM
in reply to: #3464508

Master
South Alabama
khharms - 2011-04-25 11:39 AM

Can I join you?!?!

NAME: khharms - Karla

STORY: I took interest in Tri's in 2009 when I decided to start 'training' for a Sprint. I use the word training loosely because I had no idea what to do. I started going to a tri training class on Friday mornings at the Y. I loved it, but then work got in the way. Then Oct of 2009 I got pregnant (7 weeks before my wedding). The tri I signed up for was 1 week before my wedding... I was completely unprepared, and overwhelmed with other things going on in my life that I did not show up for the tri.

Fast forward to today... I am 13 days away from my first tri - a super sprint (the shortest tri in TX: 200m swim, 8 mile bike, 2 mile run) I have been training for 6 weeks, and I'm ready (sort of!)

I am a swimmer, but in a pool, not a lake! I have never been on a group ride (I spin, at the gym), and I don't even pretend to run (12 minutes is roughly my pace). As you can see, I have a lot riding against me, but I'm not going to let my fall-backs stop me. I'm using this particular tri as a trial: is this what I really want to do? (I have a feeling it is!) I have not put in a ton of training (like I should) or a lot of money, yet.

I'm not in it to win it, just finish.. then work on my weaknesses.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my best friend, mother to a 10 month old baby girl and 6 year old fur baby!

CURRENT TRAINING: Training for my first super sprint on May 8th. I have my 'real' training schedule set up for other races later this year.

2011 RACES: 

TriGirl all women Super Sprint, May 8th - Registered. Sprint Tri, August 14 - Not Registered. Sprint Tri, Oct 30 - Not Registered. Once I finish my first then I will register for the other two Smile

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm a woman... I always want to lose weight! I have 15 lbs to lose to get to my goal weight, 4 of those lbs are lingering baby weight. I don't obsess over losing weight, but it is always a concern. The last 15lbs are my goal before getting pregnant again.

Karla-great to have you on board.  Are you using a specific training plan to get ready for your upcoming race?  What has your training looked like up to this point?

Randy
2011-04-25 9:35 PM

Veteran
Katy, TX

Hi Randy! Thanks for having me!!

I'm not following anything specific for this race. Basically, I started March 18th with a Tri Training class at The Y - the class is every Friday morning and we basically do a sprint tri. It's 90 mins, 30 min spin, 30 min run, 30 min swim (swim is last because their has to be lifeguards).

Every Tues/Thurs I go to spin, and every Wed/Fri I run/walk with a mom's group, approx 4 miles. Friday's I only walk since I do the tri class first.

Being a swimmer, I don't spend a lot of time in the water right now. The pool at the Y is indoor, and heated, so swimming in it is like swimming in molasses.

I am planning on doing another tri in August, a sprint. I have already laid out my training schedule for that one, using the training plan on here. My main focus for that training will be running and I have already talked to a cycle friend who is going to take me on rides with her team in training group over the summer.

2011-04-26 7:01 AM
in reply to: #3465821

Master
Baltimore
khharms - 2011-04-25 10:35 PM

Hi Randy! Thanks for having me!!

I'm not following anything specific for this race. Basically, I started March 18th with a Tri Training class at The Y - the class is every Friday morning and we basically do a sprint tri. It's 90 mins, 30 min spin, 30 min run, 30 min swim (swim is last because their has to be lifeguards).

Every Tues/Thurs I go to spin, and every Wed/Fri I run/walk with a mom's group, approx 4 miles. Friday's I only walk since I do the tri class first.

Being a swimmer, I don't spend a lot of time in the water right now. The pool at the Y is indoor, and heated, so swimming in it is like swimming in molasses.

I am planning on doing another tri in August, a sprint. I have already laid out my training schedule for that one, using the training plan on here. My main focus for that training will be running and I have already talked to a cycle friend who is going to take me on rides with her team in training group over the summer.

Sorry for the late response, I'm dealing with some health issues (ear infection causing some bad vertigo) and haven't been on BT (or a computer) all that much recently.

That's funny, I sort of got started with a class at my gym that was a 40 min spin then a 20 treadmil workout...I couldn't take 60 min of a spin class at a time so this class was great (and probably really helped me for my first few tri's). Then I just though - I might as well do a triathlon (nevermind swimming...)!  Did you do the tri becuase of the class or the class because of the tri?

2011-04-26 7:35 AM

Master
South Alabama
Karla-sounds like you have some solid training as you move into your race.  Consider logging your training here on BT so we can check in on your workouts.  Its a great way to keep up with your training and the log has some nice features.  Also, makes it easy when you have a training related question as we can see what you have been doing.

You are ahead of the game by having a swimming background...at least in my opinion....as swimming has been the most difficult of the 3 sports for me to attain at least a level of mediocrity

Randy     
2011-04-26 7:41 AM

Master
South Alabama
Joe-glad to see you back in the land of the living   Sounds like the run yesterday caused things to flare up?? Hope things clear up soon.

Randy

2011-04-26 10:06 AM

Veteran
Oak Park

If you're still open, I need the support! 

NAME: nmladic - Nicole

STORY: A friend (jschmitchicag) got me into triathlons 2 years ago with a simple "Anybody can do it" email. I've done 2 sprint triathlons since then and am currently training to step it up for a mid-July Oly tri (and terribly nervous about this progression!). I try to follow the training plans pretty religiously and enjoy learning about fitness and nutrition. (I work at a medical school, so I tend to geek out about this stuff, too!)

I really have loved the experience of my 2 sprint tri's and at first was very excited to get friends into the sport, but have had a difficult time convincing anyone else to join me. Would love the social benefits that come with this mentoring program, since I too find that my friends and family are less excited to talk about training all the time.

My back story is that I've been a runner for many years (since high school) but am constantly getting injured (most recently was in PT this winter for IT Band issues). Working on getting stronger to prevent running-related injuries. Tri training seems to help.

All that said, I am also a fun-loving city gal. I go to concerts, check out new restaurants, love to travel, frequent bars, love craft beer, and really try to take advantage of city life. I have a great network of friends, tons of family, and lots of social commitments. One of my biggest challenges is fitting everything in!

FAMILY STATUS: Live with man-friend, so technically single w/no kids. But my extended family is ginormous and all kinds of high-maintenance. Luckily some of them are into fitness. But a larger portion of them is really into cake. And sausage. And drinks. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Training for my first Olympic tri! Currently following the 'balanced 2x/week plan' from BT but am marrying it with Hal Higdon's 10-miler training for Chicago's Soldier Field 10-mile race on May 28. 

2011 RACES: April 30: Chicago Police Memorial Run to Remember 5k. May 28: Chicago Soldier Field 10-miler.  July 4: Freedom run 10k. July 16: Evergreen (Illinois) Olympic Triathlon.  (Depending on how July goes, may attempt a sprint or oly tri in August, too.)

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost 20 lbs. more than a year ago. No real trouble keeping it off with all the training, so weight loss isn't a high priority for me. But I try to be smart about food because a lot of preventable diseases run in my family. I'm a big fan of natural/organic foods and get totally excited about nutrition. My focus right now is on making sure I get enough nutritious calories during the day so I don't feel super-hungry at night and make poor nutrition choices.

Edited by nmladic 2011-04-26 10:11 AM
2011-04-26 11:04 AM
in reply to: #3466441

Master
South Alabama
nmladic - 2011-04-26 10:06 AM

If you're still open, I need the support! 

NAME: nmladic - Nicole

STORY: A friend (jschmitchicag) got me into triathlons 2 years ago with a simple "Anybody can do it" email. I've done 2 sprint triathlons since then and am currently training to step it up for a mid-July Oly tri (and terribly nervous about this progression!). I try to follow the training plans pretty religiously and enjoy learning about fitness and nutrition. (I work at a medical school, so I tend to geek out about this stuff, too!)

I really have loved the experience of my 2 sprint tri's and at first was very excited to get friends into the sport, but have had a difficult time convincing anyone else to join me. Would love the social benefits that come with this mentoring program, since I too find that my friends and family are less excited to talk about training all the time.

My back story is that I've been a runner for many years (since high school) but am constantly getting injured (most recently was in PT this winter for IT Band issues). Working on getting stronger to prevent running-related injuries. Tri training seems to help.

All that said, I am also a fun-loving city gal. I go to concerts, check out new restaurants, love to travel, frequent bars, love craft beer, and really try to take advantage of city life. I have a great network of friends, tons of family, and lots of social commitments. One of my biggest challenges is fitting everything in!

FAMILY STATUS: Live with man-friend, so technically single w/no kids. But my extended family is ginormous and all kinds of high-maintenance. Luckily some of them are into fitness. But a larger portion of them is really into cake. And sausage. And drinks. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Training for my first Olympic tri! Currently following the 'balanced 2x/week plan' from BT but am marrying it with Hal Higdon's 10-miler training for Chicago's Soldier Field 10-mile race on May 28. 

2011 RACES: April 30: Chicago Police Memorial Run to Remember 5k. May 28: Chicago Soldier Field 10-miler.  July 4: Freedom run 10k. July 16: Evergreen (Illinois) Olympic Triathlon.  (Depending on how July goes, may attempt a sprint or oly tri in August, too.)

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost 20 lbs. more than a year ago. No real trouble keeping it off with all the training, so weight loss isn't a high priority for me. But I try to be smart about food because a lot of preventable diseases run in my family. I'm a big fan of natural/organic foods and get totally excited about nutrition. My focus right now is on making sure I get enough nutritious calories during the day so I don't feel super-hungry at night and make poor nutrition choices.

Nicole-glad to have you! Sounds like you have a good plan and have some nice races on the horizon.  My "new" resolution is to stop eating sweets after dinner.  I am good all day but just can't stay away from cookies, ice cream etc.... after dinner.  I think I will get some apples and see if that satisfies my need to munch on something sweet at night.

Randy
2011-04-26 11:24 AM

Veteran
Oak Park

Apples with peanut butter are a big part of my nutritional arsenal! Thanks all! I will add you guys to my group of BT friends. Nice to 'meet' you all.  

I have two immediate questions I need help with, now that I'm officially in the group

1. I have a 5K charity run this weekend with a big brunch after, but my plan calls for a 6 mile run. Can I do the 5K and then run an extra 3 miles later in the day?  I know it's not the same, but are there any benefits to getting those extra miles in on the same day? My doc doesn't want me running two days in a row so I unfortunately shouldn't just move my 6-mile run to Sunday and just consider the 5K an "extra" workout this week.

2. My recovery weeks for the tri plan are different than the recovery weeks for the run plan. Do you guys see any issue with this? Next week, for instance, is a much needed run recovery week, but it would still be a swim/bike build week.  

Thanks!

N

2011-04-26 11:56 AM

Would like to join this group if there is still room.

pnkhxc-- Kevin--male 29 years old

2011-04-26 12:45 PM

Master
South Alabama
Kevin-Glad to have you as a part of the group.Tell us about yourself when you can.Randy

2011-04-26 1:19 PM

Ames

Hey Joe, sign me up! i have questions that would inform the next weeks of training leading up to a June 11 Olympic tri.

Age & health: 54, fairly fit.

Tri-Story: started with a sprint in 2009 and agin in 2010. Stayed in shape generally (swim, exercise bike, run, strength) without a training plan through the winter. Began a BT "Sprint to Olympic Bridge" program in Feb for a May 22 race; but i can't do the May 22 race, so June 11 is now the one for me. Logging training on BT since mid-Feb 2011.

I was attracted to the chosen program because it is HR-based- I use a PC-15 HR monitor, which only uses 3 HR zones, so that makes it difficult to use the 7+ zones from my BT-based LT tests. so, first question: how can i best use the 3 settable zones on my HR monitor?

Q2: if i train a lot using HR monitor, will i be able to race strategically without one? the PC-15 is not know for waterproofness, so it may not help to wear it in the swim, and would cost time to put it on in T1.

Q3: i am very intrigued by the Olympic-specific strategies in the book "the Time-Crunched Triathlete" - high-intensity, very focussed on raising LT, less total volume and time. have you ever tried this approach for a sprint or olympic tri?

Thanks!

2011-04-26 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3466918

Master
South Alabama
gwied - 2011-04-26 1:19 PM

Hey Joe, sign me up! i have questions that would inform the next weeks of training leading up to a June 11 Olympic tri.

Age & health: 54, fairly fit.

Tri-Story: started with a sprint in 2009 and agin in 2010. Stayed in shape generally (swim, exercise bike, run, strength) without a training plan through the winter. Began a BT "Sprint to Olympic Bridge" program in Feb for a May 22 race; but i can't do the May 22 race, so June 11 is now the one for me. Logging training on BT since mid-Feb 2011.

I was attracted to the chosen program because it is HR-based- I use a PC-15 HR monitor, which only uses 3 HR zones, so that makes it difficult to use the 7+ zones from my BT-based LT tests. so, first question: how can i best use the 3 settable zones on my HR monitor?

Q2: if i train a lot using HR monitor, will i be able to race strategically without one? the PC-15 is not know for waterproofness, so it may not help to wear it in the swim, and would cost time to put it on in T1.

Q3: i am very intrigued by the Olympic-specific strategies in the book "the Time-Crunched Triathlete" - high-intensity, very focussed on raising LT, less total volume and time. have you ever tried this approach for a sprint or olympic tri?

Thanks![/QUOT

Thanks for joining us. Can we get a first name to put with your info? Thanks

Randy

Edited by slornow 2011-04-26 5:04 PM
2011-04-26 3:37 PM

Hi my name is Kevin and I'm addicted to triathlons.

Story: I have wanted to participate in a triathlon for about the last 3 years but just didn't have the commitment (budget/wife) needed to make it happen. At the end of last year my church announced a bike ride for the youth from Salt Lake City to our home city of Las Vegas. Since I work with the young men this meant I needed a bike to participate and help motivate the young men. So here I am with a whole 3 months of cycling experience and am totally excited. I ran cross country for a few years in highschool and then switched to swimming and playing water polo.

I participated in an olympic tri/duathlon at the end of March. The swim was cancelled so I still have not completed a full tri. Since highschool I have kept active running in 5K and 10K races. 

Family: I have been married for 8 years and have two children, a 6 year old daughter, and a 3 year old son. My wife puts up with my training and competeing. We go to masters swim together and she thinks it is good to get the kids involved in excercising and living a healthy lifestyle.

Training: I am not currently on a training plan. I have been focusing on the bike due to the long ride at the end of June. The last week of May I will start a training plan for the Pumpkinman HIM on Oct. 15. I run when I can, and need to get back into the habit of going to master swim twice a week.

2011 Races:
3/26 Showdown at Sundown (Swim Cancelled)
4/22 Easter 5K
5/20 5K
6/20-25 Bike From SLC to Vegas
8/13 ET Full Moon Midnight 1/2 Mary
9/16 5K
10/15 Pumpkinman HIM

Goals: I am not looking to lose weight I am 6' 155-160. I am looking to improve my tri knowledge, have fun, and be a little competitive. I can be to competitive sometimes and forget that this is my first year on my tri journey, I like to go fast and want to get faster. Someday I would like to prepare for and complete a Full IM.

2011-04-26 5:01 PM
in reply to: #3467350

Master
South Alabama
PnkHxC81 - 2011-04-26 3:37 PM

Hi my name is Kevin and I'm addicted to triathlons.

Story: I have wanted to participate in a triathlon for about the last 3 years but just didn't have the commitment (budget/wife) needed to make it happen. At the end of last year my church announced a bike ride for the youth from Salt Lake City to our home city of Las Vegas. Since I work with the young men this meant I needed a bike to participate and help motivate the young men. So here I am with a whole 3 months of cycling experience and am totally excited. I ran cross country for a few years in highschool and then switched to swimming and playing water polo.

I participated in an olympic tri/duathlon at the end of March. The swim was cancelled so I still have not completed a full tri. Since highschool I have kept active running in 5K and 10K races. 

Family: I have been married for 8 years and have two children, a 6 year old daughter, and a 3 year old son. My wife puts up with my training and competeing. We go to masters swim together and she thinks it is good to get the kids involved in excercising and living a healthy lifestyle.

Training: I am not currently on a training plan. I have been focusing on the bike due to the long ride at the end of June. The last week of May I will start a training plan for the Pumpkinman HIM on Oct. 15. I run when I can, and need to get back into the habit of going to master swim twice a week.

2011 Races:
3/26 Showdown at Sundown (Swim Cancelled)
4/22 Easter 5K
5/20 5K
6/20-25 Bike From SLC to Vegas
8/13 ET Full Moon Midnight 1/2 Mary
9/16 5K
10/15 Pumpkinman HIM

Goals: I am not looking to lose weight I am 6' 155-160. I am looking to improve my tri knowledge, have fun, and be a little competitive. I can be to competitive sometimes and forget that this is my first year on my tri journey, I like to go fast and want to get faster. Someday I would like to prepare for and complete a Full IM.

Kevin-thanks for the background information.  Nice 5k over the weekend.  Last time I went under 20 minutes in a 5k was 25 years ago.  Keep up the good work.

Randy
2011-04-26 5:03 PM

Veteran
Katy, TX
Randy - I went back and logged from March 18th any training I've done.

2011-04-26 5:05 PM
in reply to: #3467522

Master
South Alabama
khharms - 2011-04-26 5:03 PM Randy - I went back and logged from March 18th any training I've done.

Looks great. Good consistency.

Randy
2011-04-26 9:48 PM
in reply to: #3467007

Ames
Thanks, Randy- my name is Glenn. I'm already enjoying your responses! Hello to all the "train hard, have fun" group members. Now to make my training plan public so you guys can get a look at it. I know I will appreciate the "old and slow" perspective.

Edited by gwied 2011-04-26 9:51 PM
2011-04-26 10:17 PM
in reply to: #3464508

Veteran
Oak Park
khharms - 2011-04-25 11:39 AM

Good luck on your upcoming tri! The 2 tri's I did in 2009 and 2010 were both all-women's and the experience was simply wonderful. Let me know if you have any questions about, um, lady attire, for the race (PM me) since I know I had a TON. And any other questions in general about the sprint tri! You're in for a great day!

Also, where in TX are you? My cousin, also a mom with young kids, lives in the Houston area and is training for her first tri too. She is always looking for someone to do races with

2011-04-26 11:25 PM

Hey I finally loaded a picture hopefully it is working and can be seen.

I have a question about the training plan I am about to start in about a month. It is the Beginner 1/2 Ironman - 20 Weeks - RPE

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56