BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-06-07 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3436046

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Subject: RE: Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL!
RAIN!!!  Sweet, sweet RAIN!!!!

Temps have plummeted to below 80 in 10 minutes, too

2011-06-08 7:10 AM

User image

Regular
Knoxville, TN
we need rain.
2011-06-08 8:29 PM

User image

Regular
Knoxville, TN

so get this...I work a 6am-3:30pm job...after work I went to the fitness and swam my laps and then drove to my bike place about 10 minutes away and we started riding...now this is a serene country road...low traffic, river right beside...very pretty and a LOT of cyclist ride here....lots of mileage options to ride and all country roads...open to cars  though but very populated with cyclist.

well my friend and I are riding in-line close to the edge (not blocking the road) and this truck with 5 young men (two in cab and 3 in bed) passed us and the passenger holds a mtn dew bottle out of the window and proceded to empty the beverage all over us as they drove away....

what is wrong with these ppl???  I realize they were kids and school is out and I'm sure they got a good laugh at it...heck I might have even thought it was funny when I was 16, but it sure wasnt funny today!!!!

Okay...Im done ranting....hope you all have great evening and excellent training...

2011-06-09 8:52 AM

Ontario, Canada

I've got a question about swimming times.   For 300 meters, what would be considered average.  The reason I ask is that I've been swimming about 300 meters, taking a 30 second break or so, then continuing another 300 meters.  I've never timed myself but I'd like to.

2011-06-09 2:25 PM

User image

Regular
Knoxville, TN
I don't know what's considered average but I swim 100 meters in 2:20.....that's pretty slow I think.
2011-06-09 8:40 PM

Ontario, Canada

Thanks for the input Robin ... I appreciate it.

Does anyone else have an idea what the average time would be???

2011-06-11 7:52 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Wow am I ever wiped out. On tuesday I wound up working for 24 straight hours with zero sleep. Of course that means I missed Tuesday's workout. I then made a huge mistake and tried to do Tuesday's and Wednesday's workouts on Wednesday (which was originally a swim-run day) on no sleep. Three workouts in one day on no sleep is guaranteed to hurt you. I relearned this the hard way.

I have survived and hit all of the week's workouts (so far) but as I said, I am dragging. This kind of bone-weary tired has really knocked me on my rear. I know that I posted earlier this week about the importance of consistency and doing the workouts but sometimes it is ok and wise to just miss a workout.

I am sleeping in tomorrow no matter what. Of course sleeping in means I will probably be up by 7 but man will it feel good. That is all. Rant over.
2011-06-12 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3544151

Ontario, Canada

wannabefaster - 2011-06-11 8:52 PM Wow am I ever wiped out. On tuesday I wound up working for 24 straight hours with zero sleep. Of course that means I missed Tuesday's workout. I then made a huge mistake and tried to do Tuesday's and Wednesday's workouts on Wednesday (which was originally a swim-run day) on no sleep. Three workouts in one day on no sleep is guaranteed to hurt you. I relearned this the hard way. I have survived and hit all of the week's workouts (so far) but as I said, I am dragging. This kind of bone-weary tired has really knocked me on my rear. I know that I posted earlier this week about the importance of consistency and doing the workouts but sometimes it is ok and wise to just miss a workout. I am sleeping in tomorrow no matter what. Of course sleeping in means I will probably be up by 7 but man will it feel good. That is all. Rant over.

Sometimes we all need rest or we end up sick!!  Take the rest you need.

2011-06-12 9:58 PM
in reply to: #3541814

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I am pretty middle of the pack in the swim and I take any where from 4:50 to 5:05 for 300 yards. I may be a little faster when swimming in a group than when I swim solo. It is nice to have fast people in the next lane to try to keep up with or to try to stay ahead of the person behind you in your lane.

Hope that helps.
2011-06-13 11:04 AM

Ontario, Canada

Thanks Jason.  I appreciate the response. 

It definitely helps.  It'll give me something to work towards.  I'm definitely not a FAST swimmer at all.   I could always swim, but I never could do the whole breathing thing.  I just learned that in January of this year and I've been trying to build endurance since then.

2011-06-14 9:46 AM

User image

Regular
Knoxville, TN

yesterday I had the best bike workout ever!!!  It was one of those days when you just aren't feeling it...1 hr rt comute, 10.5 workday, NO LUNCH!  Just not in the mood..but I kept telling myself to suck it up and do the plan...ride my bike.  My plan called for  45 minutes ez pace very doable, but my w/o partner felt like doing some climbing....time to get tough!!  We have this little "hill" called the foothills parkway, it's about 9.75 miles to the top at about a 5% grade.  it's relentless!!  total climb of 2,413 ft.  I'm still working on making it to the top (it's a challenge for me-hills are not my friend).

We park at our usualy spot which is about 4.5 miles from the base of the mtn, a decent warm-up and the ride back the cool-down....the idea yesterday was to do hill intervals or repeats...climb for 3-5 minutes at RPE7-8, ride down to recover and do it again.and again.and again.

Turned at that I was strong!  I rode fiercely!  I crushed every single repeat!  Climbing further and further  each one!!!  I had the best workout ever and left the mtn feeling fantastic...after a hard day at work and hard workout...I felt like i was on top of the world...a few more miles up and I would have been too!!  ha ha.  Love days (workouts) like that!!

2011-06-14 6:09 PM
in reply to: #3539929

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
rrobinette - 2011-06-08 9:29 PM

so get this...I work a 6am-3:30pm job...after work I went to the fitness and swam my laps and then drove to my bike place about 10 minutes away and we started riding...now this is a serene country road...low traffic, river right beside...very pretty and a LOT of cyclist ride here....lots of mileage options to ride and all country roads...open to cars  though but very populated with cyclist.

well my friend and I are riding in-line close to the edge (not blocking the road) and this truck with 5 young men (two in cab and 3 in bed) passed us and the passenger holds a mtn dew bottle out of the window and proceded to empty the beverage all over us as they drove away....

what is wrong with these ppl???  I realize they were kids and school is out and I'm sure they got a good laugh at it...heck I might have even thought it was funny when I was 16, but it sure wasnt funny today!!!!

Okay...Im done ranting....hope you all have great evening and excellent training...

I'm with you on this one. Did a 44 mile ride today. A beautiful ride, almost no cars and those I did see gave me plenty of room..... Until som jacka$$ in a pt cruiser buzzes me, coming within a foot. Open road. I am right on the white line. Straight road with no cars coming in the opposite direction. My first reaction is to give them the finger whereupon they swerve in front of me and start weaving back and forth kicking gravel up in my face. Then they speed ahead and pull over. I was looking forward to a throwdown but they did not wait for me. I am sure my blood pressure was through the roof.

Anyways. Love 99% of the drivers I saw today.

Jason
2011-06-14 6:25 PM

User image

Champion
all, quick heads up, posting from phone, laptop died on me, will have new computer up and running thur, and will be back full time then. very sorry for being gone so long!
2011-06-15 7:29 AM
in reply to: #3548172

Ontario, Canada
rrobinette - 2011-06-14 10:46 AM

yesterday I had the best bike workout ever!!!  It was one of those days when you just aren't feeling it...1 hr rt comute, 10.5 workday, NO LUNCH!  Just not in the mood..but I kept telling myself to suck it up and do the plan...ride my bike.  My plan called for  45 minutes ez pace very doable, but my w/o partner felt like doing some climbing....time to get tough!!  We have this little "hill" called the foothills parkway, it's about 9.75 miles to the top at about a 5% grade.  it's relentless!!  total climb of 2,413 ft.  I'm still working on making it to the top (it's a challenge for me-hills are not my friend).

We park at our usualy spot which is about 4.5 miles from the base of the mtn, a decent warm-up and the ride back the cool-down....the idea yesterday was to do hill intervals or repeats...climb for 3-5 minutes at RPE7-8, ride down to recover and do it again.and again.and again.

Turned at that I was strong!  I rode fiercely!  I crushed every single repeat!  Climbing further and further  each one!!!  I had the best workout ever and left the mtn feeling fantastic...after a hard day at work and hard workout...I felt like i was on top of the world...a few more miles up and I would have been too!!  ha ha.  Love days (workouts) like that!!

Most excellent Robin!!!!  I guess you are fitter than you thought

Today I had planned on skating but slept in so I ran an easy 5 kms.  Well it wasn't that easy for me, but easy sounds better.

2011-06-16 9:14 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Back on the "average" swim times.  That's going to vary wildly.  In our tri scene around here, I'm considered one of the fast guys in the water.  At least I was before the last two years of spotty training and injuries.  Doing 100 yd intervals in training, I'd swim around a 1:20 (I'm at about 1:30 right now).  Now... back when I was swimming 1:20 paces for training (and for distance swimming, that was about my pace), I often swam when a local high school age swim team was practicing.  I couldn't hang with half those kids.  They were like sharks.

Anyway, that's just to tell you that "average" has a lot to do with whatever sample you're looking at.  However, if I had to put a time down, and relate it to the tri crowd, I think that until you can comfortably swim around a 1:45/100 yd pace repeatedly, then you don't even need to worry about getting faster in the way we think about biking or running faster.  You need to almost strictly be focused on form and technique.  I am convinced that with decent form, absolutely anyone can swim a 1:45/100 yd very easily.  It might even be hard to go much slower if you have proper technique. 

The proper approach, in my opinion, to swimming is a long term focus.  Swim correct, then swim fast.  Sure, you can pound out the laps, get a little better naturally, get real fit, and start swimming 1:45 and below.  The problem with this approach is that you will NEVER get to the front of the pack if you keep on swimming with bad form.  NEVER NEVER NEVER.  Or... you can spend a lot of time in the early going working on your form.  Use kick boards, buoys, paddles, drills, short intervals that don't wear you out but are more to see how your technique is coming along.  I'd almost advocate ditching any distance goals per workout and just going to the pool and working on form for a specified amount of time.  When you finally find comfort, time a 100yd at a cruising pace.  It'll probably shock you how much better it is.  From that point on, and with proper form, then you can finally start to focus on how to get faster.

My final thought... You can't pack swimming into a neat little 16 week triathlon training program. You've got to make up your mind whether or not you want to be a swimmer, or just somebody who does the listed swim training with the goal of getting out of the water.  Granted, that's a fine and dandy approach to help you finish a tri (and probably the way most triathletes go), but if you really want to get fast in the water then you have to take a long term "swimmer's" approach to the pool.
2011-06-17 7:36 AM
in reply to: #3552107

User image

Champion
agreed on the swimming front.

Ave for triathletes is one, going to be WAAAY slower than even middle school swimmers, and two, is going to vary wildly depending on the area you live in (ie in CO there seems to be a lot more fast swimmers in tris, in ohio it was the other way around with a lot of fast runners, etc).

keep working at it, swim correctly, learn to do that well and be comfortable with it, then pile on the work and the times come from that.

As an update from early in the group, how is everyone doing on meeting season goals for training, weight, etc?

2011-06-19 12:52 AM

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com
I just wish I could find a way to stay motivated on a swim workout when I am not swimming with my masters group.
2011-06-20 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3553744

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
The training is coming right along. I am training for a distance that I have never done before and it is hard to know how much is enough. The uncertainty is a killer. I guess I won't know until I've gone 140.6 and not crashed and burned. It scares me when I think about it too much.

I just got back from 9 days off from work. It was amazing. My wife kept asking me if I was training enough and so I kept going back out for more miles. She is amazingly supportive of this crazy goal. I am a lucky guy. My legs are tired but I feel like I put in a real solid block of work. Unfortunately we were in Northern Mighigan and the water is still darn cold. I got in three short swims but the fact that the water was 54 degrees really prevented me from being able to "get into" the swims. The bikes and runs are a whole another story. The hills were killer but I am hoping that they will help me make some real gains.

I hope everyone else is having as much fun with this as I am and that you are all having a great season.

Jason

Edited by wannabefaster 2011-06-20 8:56 AM
2011-06-20 10:33 AM

User image

Regular
Knoxville, TN

My training is coming along, I'm waaaay more comfortable in the water than I was just a month ago. Week 14 Smile.    Right now my biggest challenge is riding my long rides alone, I really must purchase a trainer so i can ride indoors if need be.  I'm a baby I guess but I like having a safety buddy when I'm out for the long haul. 

I've noticed that I do my double day workouts back-to-back...I'm not sure if that's the idea but due to time constraints and work schedule, I just cannot do it any other way and get it all done.  I admit though, that when i ride hard and am still able to run afterwards.....it makes me feel strong.  I was having trouble with that run after the ride and I'm able to do it now.

I'm climbing the foothills parkway afterwork today.....hills are my friend...hills are my friend....hills are my friend....just trying to make myself believe that... ha ha ha.  Then out for a "quick" 5k run after the hill workout.

2011-06-20 6:26 PM
in reply to: #3557789

User image

Champion
glad to hear things are coming along!

got out for a great ride with a friend today. she is one of the elite lightweight female rowers at vesper here in philly and one of my only training partners that can normally keep up on the longer/faster rides. well today she put the hurt on me as we ave 21mph over a 66 mile rolling course.

great time overall and got some good tan lines;-)
2011-06-20 7:23 PM

Ontario, Canada

Thanks for the swimming advice.  I totally understand the value of technique and going slow in order to go faster.  I still have some swimming lessons left at the community centre but unfortunately I can't take them until the fall because lessons are suspended for the summer.  I thought I'd take a few private lessons elsewhere over the next few months.

My training is coming along even though I've got "patellar tendonitis".  I'm able to swim no problem, run no problem and cycle no problem.  It's my skating that is suffering and I might have to bail on my race mid July.  Even though I'm not doing a tri this season I'm going to continue trying to improve my running, swimming and cycling.  I'm sorta hemming and hawing about doing a duathlon in the Fall.  That is a possiblity.  I'm just not comfortable enough with my swimming to attempt a tri.

Edited by Jewel22 2011-06-20 7:24 PM

2011-06-22 8:23 PM

Ontario, Canada

I'm curious to know if anyone else here has any updates since mine 2 days ago?????

2011-06-23 12:11 AM
in reply to: #3562964

User image

Champion
Haha it looks like i'm either slacking off too much or people are busy!

On the training front here, not a lot to report, two more shorter rides, and it will look like nothing but short ones until after this weekend.

I'm hosting another elite age group athlete coming into town for the philly tri and covering the pro race for triathlonshots out of NZ, so the next few days are going to be booked solid.

Tomorrow i'm heading out with my asst and three models for a fashion/steampunk shoot at an old coal breaker factory, so that should be a fun time.

What races do people have coming up? For those not racing, how is training going?

Is there a topic people would like to talk about and start a more in depth conversation about?
2011-06-23 7:17 AM
in reply to: #3563144

Ontario, Canada

newbz - 2011-06-23 1:11 AM Haha it looks like i'm either slacking off too much or people are busy!

Not at all ... I'm just curious about everyone's training. 

I will admit though, that I am wondering what happened to some of the people that joined up here and haven't posted. 

2011-06-23 12:34 PM
in reply to: #3563241

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I'll jump in. I am in a pretty tough training block right now, just over two weeks out from first HIM of the season (and my Kona Lottery Slot validation race). I am doing a lot of long workouts with hard intervals in the body of the workout. Yesterday was a morning swim and then 1 hr 20 minutes on the bike with 10 x 1 minutes intervals at 280 watts with 1 min recovery then 10 x 1 minute intervals at 235 watts with 30 seconds recovery between. It was hard but I can feel myself getting stronger. This ride would have killed me two months ago but was very doable last night.

This morning I did a swim workout that was pretty tough. I did not feel great in the water but the clock said I was turning in very fast (for me) times. My last 100 was in 1:22 which is about as fast as I have ever gone. Progress, but with a lot of room still to improve. I have noticed in the past that when my swim workouts feel "bad" they are often breakthrough workouts where I am making real swimming progress. The first couple times this happened I couldn't believe the clock because subjectively the workout felt so lousy but objectively the workout was darn good.

Tonight is an interval running workout where I will do a long run with a series of 1/2 mile repeats trying to hit 6 minute/mile pace for the intervals. I am sure it will hurt but it sure feels good to be able to look at my logs and see real progress in pace and endurance. Tonight's run is special because it should put me over 1000 miles on my feet for the year so well ahead of last years logged mileage.

There is where things stand training-wise now. Like I said before, I hope everyone else is having as much fun with this as I am. Also, I am happy to report that in spite of the training volume my wife is still solidly on board with the training for Iron Man which makes it much easier to do.

Jason

Edited by wannabefaster 2011-06-23 12:39 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL! Rss Feed  

of 14