BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team KiterChick - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2012-01-07 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3942327

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Team KiterChick - CLOSED

Sounds like everyone's been taking advantage of the weather in the Northeast to get some good outdoor training in.  I managed to get a brick in today, but it took two tries to make it happen.  I set out on the bike and got 0.75 miles into the ride when the rear wheel locked up solid on me.  A trip to the shop and they found something wrong with it so they warrantied it and replaced the entire wheel.  I ended up having to buy a tire though since my tire had a decent slice in it from something.  The second try was much better.  I rode a local sprint tri series course and did the run.  Averaged right around 18 mph on the bike and did 10 minute miles (which is about my normal pace).  The course actually had a decent bit of elevation to it as well so I'm glad I pre rode.  It would be awesome if this great weather would stick around, but I'm realistic and know that I'll be back to the trainer and treadmills before I know it!  It did feel good to actually get out there and train outside though!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Shane

2012-01-07 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Today was a rest day. Spent my "free" time taking down Christmas decorations. And the putting them up in the attic. Needless to say I would have rather gone on a run.

Tomorrow I have a short ride and run tommorrow. Not technically a brick, but close.
2012-01-07 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3976844

User image

Davis Square, Somerville, MA

Got a swim +a short run in yesterday and a bike in today.  Don't know what happened on the bike today, but my HR monitor went completely wonky (said I had a HR 0f 36 during my last 5 min interval set), so I had to go by RPE instead.  Still, a good couple of days.

Hope everyone continues to have a great weekend.

2012-01-08 2:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

How is it Sunday afternoon already? Pho last night was awesome, although I ended up staying out later than planned, and the 6AM wakeup call for swim clinic this morning was rough! It was great to see my coach again though, and we did a lot of different drills. This will be really helpful once I get in the pool alone, since previously, I would just aimlessly swim laps, when I really need to improve my technique first and foremost.

Tyler - You are definitely full on in the game mentally watching all of those videos! I should really check them out at some point. I'm not sure I want to see any of people bonking though. That would NOT be motivational coming into my first IM year...

Hubbie - Congrats on the new pool PR. Also, way to go swimming that distance this early in the season. I was getting crazy winded today after 1-2 laps, so you've got me beat there!

Shane - Was the wheel issue on your new bike? Not cool, but glad you got it fixed!

Ken - Too bad there's not a Xmas decoration removal leg to races, sounds like you're a pro! I've made an executive decision to leave my tree up until spring. The decorations are blue and white, so I've dubbed them "winter" decorations, so clearly they should remain until the season is over...

Will - I hate when HR monitors get weird. I had one that was probably low on batteries start telling me that my HR was 240 or something else crazy high. I was pushing it, but not that much! Hope you enjoyed swim clinic as much as I did.

Off to get ready to head out to dinner in the city. Enjoy the rest of your weekends everyone!

2012-01-08 3:52 PM

User image

Expert

Had a great 5 mile run this morning, followed by yard work and lots of house cleaning.  

It's been a great day!  Now, it's time to relax and watch some football.   Hope you all have a great day!!!

2012-01-08 7:06 PM

User image

New user

The wheel issue was on my P2.  I haven't picked up my S2 yet.  It'll be in this week.  But my P2 only has about 200 miles on it and most of those were on the trainer.  Not a big deal.  Things happen.  At least the shop took care of me and sent me on the way.  I got to poke around the shop and found some gloves for 50% off, picked up some new swim goggles so I can really get back in the water...and I still managed to get my ride/run in.  Nothing for me to be unhappy about. 

Shane

2012-01-08 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3978223

User image

KiterChick - 2012-01-08 3:56 PM

Will - I hate when HR monitors get weird. I had one that was probably low on batteries start telling me that my HR was 240 or something else crazy high. I was pushing it, but not that much! Hope you enjoyed swim clinic as much as I did.

Swim clinic was fun this am, although 5 was way too early to have to get up to drag myself to Marlboro.  I ended up having to postpone my run tonight till tomorrow, I'm just too beat.  Nice seeing you at the pool this am, now I can put a face with the name.

So I've decided to trade my rollers in (or at least sell them on Craigslist) and go back to a trainer.  I have an old magnetic trainer in the basement, but its way too loud (drives my wife and daughter crazy).  How are people's experiences with fluid trainers?  Is Kurt Kinetic pretty much the standard? 

2012-01-09 6:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Glad everyone had a good weekend.  Yesterday, I had a good run followed by a decent ride.  It was really nice to get back outside.  

This morning was back in the pool.  I know I may say this too much but I am feeling stronger and stronger.  

2012-01-09 9:13 AM

User image

New user
Any thoughts on training late at night, was far too busy today so was thinking of jumping on the trainer after work tonight, would only be finishing after midnight tho,would just have time for a shower protein shake then straight to bed,is this ok or should I just class it as an extra rest day? Cheers
2012-01-09 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3979472

User image

chris316 - 2012-01-09 10:13 AM Any thoughts on training late at night, was far too busy today so was thinking of jumping on the trainer after work tonight, would only be finishing after midnight tho,would just have time for a shower protein shake then straight to bed,is this ok or should I just class it as an extra rest day? Cheers

I had this issue crop a couple of times last year- what I found is that for me it usually depends on the type of workout.  If its a light run or a spin on rollers without much intensity, then I can usually get away with it.  However, if its an interval type workout, then I need to be out the door/on the bike before 9.  Anytime after that I am just too tired (and have trouble getting my HR up to the stated ranges for those workouts). 

Also, if I stay up late training and don't get enough sleep, then that will sometimes affect (effect?) my workouts the next day. 

2012-01-09 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3979472

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

chris316 - 2012-01-09 9:13 AM Any thoughts on training late at night, was far too busy today so was thinking of jumping on the trainer after work tonight, would only be finishing after midnight tho,would just have time for a shower protein shake then straight to bed,is this ok or should I just class it as an extra rest day? Cheers

My only issue is actually getting to sleep.  I am normally so pumped up after a workout, that it would take me too long to wind down and actually get to sleep.  But it that isn't a problem for you then it should be ok, IMHO.  

2012-01-09 11:10 AM

User image

New user
Yeah think the getting to sleep part might be the big problem, I was meant to be doing an interval type session, think I'm going to have to give it a go, got a pretty busy week. Is it worth taking in some carbs after it or will the protein shake be enough? I've got a tub each of dextrose and maltodextrin at home.
2012-01-09 11:33 AM

User image

Expert

I am really starting to freak out here.

I am signed up for an 8k this Saturday, and looking at times from the previous years, it looks as though I am going to finish last.  I told myself that I would be okay with this when the time comes, but right now I'm freaking out.

Not sure what I'm asking for, maybe some confidence that finishing last isn't the worst thing...

2012-01-09 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Good afternoon all! My recent social calendar has been killing my sleep schedule, which in turn has been doing a number on my workouts. As lame as it is, when I was heavily into HIM training last summer, I would routinely keep to a 9-5 sleep schedule. Since I know that will happen again once IM training starts, I think I'm trying to fit in as much socializing as possible now to make up for the future neglect in that department to come. I honestly don't know how those of you with families deal. I can barely handle my life with friends, my dog and dating!

Tyler - Don't freak out! While no one wants to be last, everyone has to start somewhere. The great thing about finishing in a less than desirable position now, is that you'll be able to look back later in the season and be amazed at how far you'll have come. I was in the bottom 25% in my AG for my first tri last year, which was frustrating at the time. By the end of the year, I did a second race on that same course, and got an AG podium finish. At that point, it was exhilarating to see how far I'd come. You're clearly very dedicated to your training, so I'm sure you're going to see similar gains over the next few months. Also, you mentioned your 5M run this weekend felt great. Don't underestimate how much faster you may run in a race environment. I've been running for years, and I'm still amazed at the differences between my race and training paces. The atmosphere can really pump you up!

Shane - Sounds like a best case scenario situation as far as bike malfunctions go. Having that happen midway through a long ride, or worse, a race, would not be cool. Sounds like you were able to stock up while you were waiting for it too.

Will - The early morning wakeup call on Sunday was definitely rough! I didn't get to bed until midnight, so 6AM came way too soon. I had also wanted to come back home to fit in a bike and/or run, but ended up taking a two hour nap instead. As for liquid trainers, I have a Kurt Kinetic, and it's been great. CycleOps also makes one too though, so you could certainly shop around.

Ken - Not surprised to hear you're feeling stronger on the swim, you've been doing a great job of consistently fitting in your workouts, so I'd expect you to see gains. Keep it up!

Chris - I also have issues getting to sleep directly after a late workout. That being said, you might as well give it a try to see how it affects you. As for post workout nourishment, I think you should be fine with the protein shake. Presumably you'll have had dinner earlier, and you'll have breakfast when you wake up, so the shake should be plenty to refuel on prior to heading to bed. Good luck, hope it works out for you!

Have a great Monday everyone!

2012-01-09 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3979857

User image

New user
RushTogether - 2012-01-09 5:33 PM

I am signed up for an 8k this Saturday, and looking at times from the previous years, it looks as though I am going to finish last.  I told myself that I would be okay with this when the time comes, but right now I'm freaking out.

Not sure what I'm asking for, maybe some confidence that finishing last isn't the worst thing...

If you don't finish last, what would your opinion be of whoever does? I bet it's nothing but respect don't worry about it
2012-01-09 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Chris316-I wouldn't worry to much about your times on the 8k. Like others have already mentioned running in a race is generally faster than your practice times. Also remember that you are doing things that a vast majority of the American public can't do. So even if you finish in the back of the pack your still faster than a lot of other people. Best of luck to you!

2012-01-09 2:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa

Hi everyone,

So I did my race on Saturday and it did not go as expected. The morning was super cold (51 degrees) and I was even more shocked when I got in the water with my sleeveless wetsuit for a warm-up swim and found out that the water was at 58 degrees! My arms were going numb. Anyway, was not too worried about that. The race started and I settled into a nice pace and tried to forget about the numbness in my arms. 

I got out of the water near the front of the pack, run the 500 ft to transition, got out of my wetsuit smoothly, put on my gear, grabbed my bike and took off. The bike ride started out well, I set into a grove and was riding at a nice speed with high cadence and not tiring myself much, since I wanted to save as much as possible to have a stellar run (little did I know).

When we are less than half mile from transition I am approaching an intersection, the cop holding the cars at bay is pointing to my left (later I came to realize he was not indicating me to go left). I started to veer left and when the cop sees me, he freaks out, since I was supposed to go right and lifts both his arms (the signal to stop). I thought a car had not stopped and that he was telling me to stop right away, so my instinct took over and I slammed on my brakes and went over my handlebar.

I busted myself up, so that was the end of the race to me, and I earned a trip to the hospital in the ambulance. Nothing serious, 14 stitched on my eyebrow and road rash on my face, neck, shoulder and hands. Today I am feeling much better and I can't wait to start training again, hopefully by Friday or Saturday! 

Anyway, 2 big lessons from this: 1) Know the course by heart

2) Never slam on the brakes like that again

The worst part is that I was doing pretty good in the race, having fun and was ready to kill it in that run. I will have to take revenge on the duathlon on Feb 5!

2012-01-09 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3980140

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Hubbie - 2012-01-09 1:36 PM Chris316-I wouldn't worry to much about your times on the 8k. Like others have already mentioned running in a race is generally faster than your practice times. Also remember that you are doing things that a vast majority of the American public can't do. So even if you finish in the back of the pack your still faster than a lot of other people. Best of luck to you!

ˆˆˆˆX2 Chris you will do well.  Try to remember to relax and enjoy the run.  Once the tri season begins we will probably need you to remind us of this post and help us not worry the finish.  

2012-01-09 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3980194

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
sebaf74 - 2012-01-09 2:00 PM

I busted myself up, so that was the end of the race to me, and I earned a trip to the hospital in the ambulance. Nothing serious, 14 stitched on my eyebrow and road rash on my face, neck, shoulder and hands. Today I am feeling much better and I can't wait to start training again, hopefully by Friday or Saturday! 

The worst part is that I was doing pretty good in the race, having fun and was ready to kill it in that run. I will have to take revenge on the duathlon on Feb 5!

Ouch, sounds painful.  Remember lesson learned.  I am sure you will make up for it on the 5th.  

2012-01-09 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3980212

User image

Veteran
Tampa
kmatt318 - 2012-01-09 3:05 PM
sebaf74 - 2012-01-09 2:00 PM

Ouch, sounds painful.  Remember lesson learned.  I am sure you will make up for it on the 5th.  

Thanks, I sure will. It is funny, but I have hear some athletes say that your first crash is a good thing, since before it happens, you always fear crashing. I can see the logic in that, I am in pain and it sucks, but it's not as terrible as I had imagined. 

2012-01-09 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

I had a similar incident on a Charity ride at Death Valley in 2010.  I was riding down hill in aero and someone going in the opposite direction seemed to be having trouble so I glanced over my shoulder to see if I could help.  Unfortunately the glance caused my front wheel to turn and that caused me to go over the handlebars.  

Fortunately I only needed stitches in my arm and hand and serious road rash on my hip.  Very painful.  2011, I went back to the same course and finished.  I had a point to proved.  Cool  but it was a painful lesson.

2012-01-09 2:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa
Nice, as soon as I got out of the hospital I promised myself I will do this same race next year and finish in style!
2012-01-09 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3980140

User image

Expert

Hubbie - 2012-01-09 1:36 PM Chris316-I wouldn't worry to much about your times on the 8k. Like others have already mentioned running in a race is generally faster than your practice times. Also remember that you are doing things that a vast majority of the American public can't do. So even if you finish in the back of the pack your still faster than a lot of other people. Best of luck to you!

I believe this was directed at me?

Thank you everyone!  I am feeling better about it.  All I can do is my best, and I have told myself since I made that post, that someone always has to be last, and if it's me, then so be it.

2012-01-09 6:08 PM
in reply to: #3979857

User image

RushTogether - 2012-01-10 12:33 AM

Hey Tyler,

I completed my first full length triathlon on the 18th Dec. When i first signed up for it i wasnt worried at all about where i would finish but as it got closer and closer the same thoughts that you are having crept into my head. With three weeks out from the race i almost swapped from the full length tri to a mini just so i didnt finish last. But, with two weeks out I did a mini as a training block, and the guy that came last in the full length race got the biggest chear of the day. He was a good 15 minutes behind everyone else, 200+ people cheared him each time he ran past and the roar that went up when he crossed the finish line was awesome.

Whilst that might not happen at every race, I certainly don't fear coming last anymore

(and as it turned out, I didnt come last! I was close to the bottom of my AG, but that just gives me something to improve upon next time)

2012-01-09 6:12 PM

User image

@Seb - hope you heal soon! Sorry to hear you're race ended like that, sounds very painful. I havent come off my bike yet, definately something I dont want to experience any time soon!

Did you work out why the cop was waving to the left?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team KiterChick - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 22