BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-01-06 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3974405

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies-OPEN
trei - 2012-01-06 7:40 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, I will start looking for a training plan this weekend.  Right now I've just been trying to put in the time/miles for a base, but I better get cracking on an actual plan. Probably have more questions about this once I start looking...

I'm looking to get into 2-3 races before Racing - one for sure being an olympic.  I will check out the Wisconsin triathlon board too.

It sounds like I'll be hunting Ebay for a road bike.  How do I know what size to get? 

Some plans incorporate a base build into the whole plan. I started a 22 week plan for Racine in February of last year. That's really about 8 weeks of base building...I didn't need that long of a plan. This year I do because of my injury and illness last fall.

2012-01-06 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3974326

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-06 6:55 AM

I found Run-Log.com and added the app to my android and take it with me on my runs, well really walks (LOL).  Anyway, it seems to be really accurate and I like it.

Tom

I did the same thing when I first started training...I had an app called runkeeper...great way to get training data without breaking the bank...thanks for telling us about run-log.

2012-01-06 4:39 PM
in reply to: #3974125

User image

Extreme Veteran
quincyf - 2012-01-05 10:28 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-05 7:58 PM
trei - 2012-01-05 12:50 PM

Yes, the 7600 is a hybrid.  I thought I might hear that it would not be best, so I'm not surprised, but yes it does suck!  Any input on a good beginner bike would be helpful.

I did ride a good portion of the Elroy-Sparta trail last summer.  The tunnels are very cool.  I kind of want to get a train whistle and a big flashlight and turn them on about half way through.  Even though the tracks are gone I'm sure the oncoming people would do a double take!

I do swim 1.5 miles at one time now - twice per week.  I know dealing with waves has me a bit nervous.   I usually breathe on my left.  I have tried breathing on my right, but it doesn't feel "natural" and I end up laboring more.  THANKS for the heads up on Racine swim course - I will begin forcing myself to breathe on the right now!  I just bought a used Xterra Vector Pro X2 wetsuit on ebay - should receive it any day now.  I do have a lake nearby, so once I can get out into it I will practice with the waves an all. 

Thanks

You really have your groove on re: Racine   That is "The Awesome"      

LOL!  yeah get a train whistle and a big flashlight...   I like the way you think!       I do also have a hybrid that I set up to run the river trail that is near where I live.    I ought to take it up and ride that trail with you.     

See that's it right there.  Your 7600 is good for what it does, and you can enjoy it for that.     For sure for now, a roadie is perfect.  I've mentioned this before,   by farrrrrrrrrrrrrr   the best bang for your buck is a used bike.    First you need to know the size you need.   Then start looking around.   The NEXT bike you get after this one  is the KEEPER! 

I hear you about the breathing on your weak side not feeling "natural"      Wasn't for me either.     Many people find success by just trying to do lengths using ONLY your weak side.   Again that's probably not a surprise to hear either.  But there it is.     sometimes the answer is  "start liking it"     Thing is you are already a very good swimmer (you swim 1.5 miles)    so the thing is  of course the better you get on your dominate side  the weirder its going to feel on your weak side. 

Wetsuit- PLEASE  whatever you do,  make plans to do the  OWS (=Open water swim)     Do NOT do what I did.     Literally my first OWS  was at my first 70.3      IM-Kansas      OMG    talk about a lot to take in all at once.      Be smarter than I was. 

Oh this conversation reminds me of something I wanted to bring up...

All of you who are new to swimming...just starting out...practice breathing on both sides from the get go. You don't have any habits ingrained, so start yourself off breathing to both sides. I did that when I started training for swimming and I can switch up at will and I'm so glad I can...

Reasons why you want to be able to breathe to both sides:

1. Makes sighting easier.

2. Keeps stroke balanced.

3. Less likely to swim off course.

4. Can avoid sun/waves coming from one side.

5. Can avoid getting splashed/whacked by someone on your left/right.

6. You can participate in the monster bi-lateral breathing threads that show up every few months on BT

Did I miss any? Mark, you're a good swimmer, what do you think???

I think best reason to learn bi lateral breathing is to participate in the monster threads.  While waiting for those threads to pop up, practice flip turns so you can participate in THOSE monster threads as well.

I agree, lean bi lateral breathing at your earliest opportunity.  you'll think its hard, stupid and it sucks, but when you need it, you'll be thankful.  I finally "got it" once swimming in lake Michigan.  1/2 mile swim and could only breathe toward shore because of waves.  You will need it!  Also, its more efficient.  breathing every third stroke gets you more O2 than every fourth stroke and makes a smoother stroke than breathing every second stroke.

2012-01-06 4:59 PM
in reply to: #3975053

User image

Quincy, a quick question about the plans.   Probably pretty obvious, but I'm just not getting it.  I see 4X50 for instance with the swimming.  I assume one of these numbers is reps?  and the other is distance or time?  In which case why doesn't it just say 200?  I'm missing something. 

Thanks, Todd

2012-01-06 7:59 PM
in reply to: #3975760

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
trei - 2012-01-06 4:59 PM

Quincy, a quick question about the plans.   Probably pretty obvious, but I'm just not getting it.  I see 4X50 for instance with the swimming.  I assume one of these numbers is reps?  and the other is distance or time?  In which case why doesn't it just say 200?  I'm missing something. 

Thanks, Todd

4x50 is 4 sets of 50 yards with some sort of rest between them. THere is no standardization when it comes to training plans...each plan writer will have shorthand that is unique to their plan.

The standard elements are duration (miles, yards, minutes), intensity (RPE, heart rate, power), repetitions and rest. A simple plan for beginners could possibly only incorporate distance or miles, and be perfectly adequate...in fact for a first time plan, I would almost discourage trying to do anything more complex....

And you've discovered something unique to swimming...while running and bike riding is usually performed in one big chunks (unless you are doing intervals or speed work) swim workouts are usually designed as sets with a warmup, drills (possibly), a main set, and a cool down. 

It might look something like this:

w/u: 500

8x50 drills

8x25 @5'

4x50 @10'

2x100 @20'

1x200 @20'

1x400

8x50 drills

c/d: 300

Typically the distances can be meters or yards. The @20' means 20 seconds rest between each repetition.

2012-01-06 9:49 PM
in reply to: #3972583

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
mjh1975 - 2012-01-05 11:04 AM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-05 8:18 AM

HA!   Marathon thoughts.....    DON"T POOP YOUR PANTS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsMw10KVVCk

Tha... awesome and too funny.

That's hilarious!  Not gonna lie...been there...don't pants you poop...don't pants your poop!!

2012-01-07 3:04 AM
in reply to: #3976000

Rochester
So I have a question, and I will say it probably is a stupid one. Why don't people use the stuff like Slime in their tires in case they have a flat? Is it the extra weight? I was just thinking about that and had to ask. OK you can start goofing on me for asking that.
2012-01-07 7:21 AM
in reply to: #3973900

User image

Dave, what are the advantages or disadvantages to going with a tubeless tire?
2012-01-07 8:06 AM
in reply to: #3976000

User image

Veteran
quincyf - 2012-01-06 8:59 PM
trei - 2012-01-06 4:59 PM

Thanks, Todd

4x50 is 4 sets of 50 yards with some sort of rest between them. THere is no standardization when it comes to training plans...each plan writer will have shorthand that is unique to their plan.

The standard elements are duration (miles, yards, minutes), intensity (RPE, heart rate, power), repetitions and rest. A simple plan for beginners could possibly only incorporate distance or miles, and be perfectly adequate...in fact for a first time plan, I would almost discourage trying to do anything more complex....

And you've discovered something unique to swimming...while running and bike riding is usually performed in one big chunks (unless you are doing intervals or speed work) swim workouts are usually designed as sets with a warmup, drills (possibly), a main set, and a cool down. 

It might look something like this:

w/u: 500

8x50 drills

8x25 @5'

4x50 @10'

2x100 @20'

1x200 @20'

1x400

8x50 drills

c/d: 300

Typically the distances can be meters or yards. The @20' means 20 seconds rest between each repetition.

I never thought of it this way, Thanks for the info.

2012-01-07 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3976357

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

trei - 2012-01-07 7:21 AM Dave, what are the advantages or disadvantages to going with a tubeless tire?

Todd,

There are three tire/wheel choices out there.   So perhaps its best to talk about all three.

First,  understand that your wheels are made for only one of the three types.  And they are not interchangeable.  SO you have to think about this as a wheel/tire combo type thing.    Also all have their advantages/disadvantages

Going  Tubular-   Surf's up dude!   lol       The tubular is what the pro's use and have used for like ever.   Less rolling resistance  (so they say)   less weight.      end result is a better ride.     Is this a great choice?   not for my taste.     The inner tube is sewn into the tire and  then the tire is GLUED on to its rim.    Tubulars do offer a bit more flat protection than clinchers.

If you don't glue your tubulars on properly, they can roll off, causing you to crash. If you get a flat on the road, you can't glue your spare securely, since the glue needs to dry overnight; as a result, you have to ride very gingerly on your spare, taking it really easy on the curves and descents. If you get two flats on the same ride, you're screwed"  ( props to Sheldon Brown for that paragraph )

It's important to note that many people are perfectly happy with their tubular wheels.   I just don't see it   so this is all  IMHO  (in my humble opinion)  

Clincher-  ** This is what I use.**   Most people use clinchers.      just carry a light weight ,not space intensive spare inner tube and  a co2 inf later/cartridge/tire-levers  and you are set.   Can only be used with clincher wheels.    they are a lil heavier than a tubular.   Once you "get" how to change a tube, it's not a biggie.   And every sporting goods shop has spare tubes.   If you end up somewhere and need some help,  people will know how to help change it.   

Tubeless-  Requires a wheel set that is made just for this type of tire.    I have never used this type myself.    Supposed to be very very flat resistant.     The tires themselves are a good bit more expensive.  They are not widely available.   I also am a lil skeptical.     Now of course a good advantage besides better flat protection is you are not going to have to carry flat protection.      I wonder about things  that I run over while cycling.    sometimes a crack or a curb hit at just the wrong angle can damage a rim.   If a tubeless rim is damaged in this way and de-flates,  then you are screwed.      can this same type of thing happen to the other tire choices?  absolutely!   I just think  you have a lil more options while you are 35 miles from home going with the clincher or tubular choice

In the end,  this is one of those  YMMV  (you miles may vary)  situations.   All 3 types are fine.   They each have their pro/cons   its up to you to decide which pro/con  set you would rather deal with.  

2012-01-07 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3942395

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yes!!! First bike ride since Racine!!! 20 miles, quite happy with it!

Pros: didn't fall; most bike clothes still fit; NO screaming leg pain!
Cons: butt def forgot what bike seat feels like; belly too close to top tube; endurance missing

All in all, a success. Have a good weekend all!

2012-01-07 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

This is a site that has many definitions/explanations for Bikes questions

http://sheldonbrown.com/glossary-b.html

2012-01-07 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3976543

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

ChicagoMan65 - 2012-01-07 9:51 AM Yes!!! First bike ride since Racine!!! 20 miles, quite happy with it!

Cons: butt def forgot what bike seat feels like; belly too close to top tube; endurance missing

That's great Mark!   A great weekend so far!   

I'm about to get my run started.  Then a couple of odds end then me and my DW will be bringing the girls to their swim meet!   We both will be doing lane timing for 4 hours  for the meet.

The Dolphins (us) vs. Bison  them!  GRRRR  (oooooooh  suspense, drama,  shrieks, laughs, smiles, excitement  its all there)  

then its football playoffs!   Ya I'm ready for some football 

2012-01-07 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3976259

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

peterflagg - 2012-01-07 3:04 AM So I have a question, and I will say it probably is a stupid one. Why don't people use the stuff like Slime in their tires in case they have a flat? Is it the extra weight? I was just thinking about that and had to ask. OK you can start goofing on me for asking that.

Pete,

Please don't feel like a question is stupid or silly or whatever.   Go ahead and ask.   None of us knew the answers when we were just starting either.       We are here to answer questions  so  the ones not asked are the stupid ones.

One reason is that most bike tires use presta valves and the slime is not easy to get into that type of tube.  

Even if I was able to get the slime in there,  I would not feel like it was a legit repair.   Certainly would not feel like I could pump up my tires to 120 PSI  and then ride off into the sunset carefree.  hee hee       Now change the tube, and bingo!  back to care free!    (as long as I had a spare tube)

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-01-07 10:18 AM
2012-01-07 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3976543

User image

Veteran

ChicagoMan65 - 2012-01-07 10:51 AM Yes!!! First bike ride since Racine!!! 20 miles, quite happy with it!

Great job!  I was thinking today during my spin class that I'm actually going to have to get on a bike outside at some point.  I'm so cold natured...even riding outside on a nice warm winter day like today (45) makes me cold to the bone.  I'm likely going to race a spint in June.  Think I can bike indoors until the weather warms?

2012-01-07 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3976564

User image

Expert
Hammond
oriolepwr - 2012-01-07 10:02 AM

So am I!!! Unfortunately I'm guessing we may be pulling for opposite teams. Geaux Saints!!!!!

Shelly

2012-01-07 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3976607

User image

Good going!  I too got outside today for a ride on my awesome hybrid (just one hour).  It was chilly at first especially my face and hands, but did break a sweat.  I definitely have found some things I need to work on!  Biking looks like it will by my weak link and breathing on my right side while swimming are my first two hurdles to cross. 
2012-01-07 8:06 PM

User image

New user

Sacramento area

Hello everybody!

Guiltily admitting that I'm posting without reading the last 7 pages (!!!) of posts!  I'm just back from a great trip to Tucson with the family.  I managed a run (stumble, crawl) in the four days I was there and a gentle hike, but largely vacay-mode.  Felt good about the nutrition part, though - didn't overindulge and made some good choices, so I'm returning with my head high.  I look forward to catching up and making some connections (please add me as your friend if you haven't already - I'll do the same!) with y'all tomorrow. 

In other good news, I got a Garmin sports watch for Xmas for training (told you my wife is awesome!) and I'm having a lot of fun incorporating it into my training.  The uploading features are pretty cool!  All these little things combine to help me get out on the road more often.

OK - enough about me.  Just wanted to give a quick shout - I'll check in manana!  Happy training!

-Kent

2012-01-07 8:09 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Lane timed for the girls swim meet as I mentioned earlier.     Oh this was fun.   Right there with the action.  It was PRICELESS listening to all the exciting pre-race chatter right there before the gun would sound for each race.    I have to say this was really awesome.  So glad I was able to do this.    To see the kids so intensely 'focused before, and during each race is what its ALL about.    They are all winners.   So am I for being there and part of it.  

Ok I can't stand it anymore  here is a pic of my two girls pre-race.     Sarah (9)  is on the left and Melissa (11) on the right.    So proud of them 

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-01-07 8:27 PM
2012-01-07 8:17 PM
in reply to: #3977254

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-07 6:42 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-07 10:02 AM

So am I!!! Unfortunately I'm guessing we may be pulling for opposite teams. Geaux Saints!!!!!

Shelly

Shelly   I have the Saints  as my Super bowl winner over the Pats.   SO GEAUX Saints!

2012-01-07 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3977283

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

trei - 2012-01-07 7:00 PM Good going!  I too got outside today for a ride on my awesome hybrid (just one hour).  It was chilly at first especially my face and hands, but did break a sweat.  I definitely have found some things I need to work on!  Biking looks like it will by my weak link and breathing on my right side while swimming are my first two hurdles to cross. 

There are always more hurdles  Todd!       It's like Greg LeMond  said.  "It never gets easier,  you just go faster!"

The fun part is the journey itself   and you are already on it.   

2012-01-07 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3977374

User image

Expert
Hammond
oriolepwr - 2012-01-07 8:09 PM

Lane timed for the girls swim meet as I mentioned earlier.     Oh this was fun.   Right there with the action.  It was PRICELESS listening to all the exciting pre-race chatter right there before the gun would sound for each race.    I have to say this was really awesome.  So glad I was able to do this.    To see the kids so intensely 'focused before, and during each race is what its ALL about.    They are all winners.   So am I for being there and part of it.  

Ok I can't stand it anymore  here is a pic of my two girls pre-race.     Sarah (9)  is on the left and Melissa (11) on the right.    So proud of them 

I love seeing pics of everyone's kiddos. They are beautiful and sounds like it was an awesome day.

Thanks for sharing.

Shelly

2012-01-07 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3976607

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-07 10:37 AM

ChicagoMan65 - 2012-01-07 10:51 AM Yes!!! First bike ride since Racine!!! 20 miles, quite happy with it!

Great job!  I was thinking today during my spin class that I'm actually going to have to get on a bike outside at some point.  I'm so cold natured...even riding outside on a nice warm winter day like today (45) makes me cold to the bone.  I'm likely going to race a spint in June.  Think I can bike indoors until the weather warms?

Why not? I did a huge amount of my cycling on the trainer last season and I was super good on the bike last season!  More important to just get 'er done!!!

2012-01-07 9:42 PM
in reply to: #3977449

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-07 8:53 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-07 8:09 PM

I love seeing pics of everyone's kiddos. They are beautiful and sounds like it was an awesome day.

Thanks for sharing.

Shelly

Hi Sarah and Melissa!!!! Love those girls! Hey Dave, what were their races? Are they freestyle only or do they race other strokes as well??? Dave won't brag, but I will...his kids are the nicest, most well behaved, smart, talented ever! Thanks for the pic!

2012-01-07 9:49 PM
in reply to: #3977366

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
kentkillsit - 2012-01-07 8:06 PM

Hello everybody!

Guiltily admitting that I'm posting without reading the last 7 pages (!!!) of posts!  I'm just back from a great trip to Tucson with the family.  I managed a run (stumble, crawl) in the four days I was there and a gentle hike, but largely vacay-mode.  Felt good about the nutrition part, though - didn't overindulge and made some good choices, so I'm returning with my head high.  I look forward to catching up and making some connections (please add me as your friend if you haven't already - I'll do the same!) with y'all tomorrow. 

In other good news, I got a Garmin sports watch for Xmas for training (told you my wife is awesome!) and I'm having a lot of fun incorporating it into my training.  The uploading features are pretty cool!  All these little things combine to help me get out on the road more often.

OK - enough about me.  Just wanted to give a quick shout - I'll check in manana!  Happy training!

-Kent

Kent, 

I bolded your whole paragraph because it pretty much sums up how I am feeling. I'm headed back to Chicago first thing in the morning and looking forward to being back in the workout mode. I've had some successes out here, and lots of fun. Didn't screw up too much on the nutrition front either so that's good.

So, I'll be mia tomorrow, but back on Monday! See you then!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44