BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-04-04 10:33 PM
in reply to: #4124521

User image

Expert
Hammond
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
peterflagg - 2012-04-02 10:34 AM

So I did my first 5k yesterday. Came in 96th out of 600. Time 30:23. They had said "friendly hills". They lied. My version of a friendly hill is roughly a little more then a speed bump but I think there was a sign saying something about Mount Rushmore. Lol.

There were a couple of moments that I was like WTF, quiting is never an option for me, but I was definetly working hard a few times. In those moments I was saying to myself, don't come in last. That helped me.

The volunteers at the event were awesome. It was a great time. I have definetly caught the bug so I have a few more races coming up in the next 2 months.

Peter
That is awesome! I'd kill for those times and stats. Instead of only 95 people in front me, I usually finish with only about 96 people behind me- lol. Great job!
Shelly

2012-04-04 10:36 PM
in reply to: #4128598

User image

Expert
Hammond
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
oriolepwr - 2012-04-03 9:58 PM

Well we can keep the archived group going.   OR OR  y'all are welcome to join the new tour once it gets out of the mentor staging area.    So please feel free to join the Mys-tri tour group "The sequel"    We know that its really helpful to get to know others and experience other groups too.    But if you want some more of the tour,  you are IN!

Honestly the archiving thing took me by surprise though I should have known it was coming.     I have really enjoyed getting to know you guys and watch your growth.    I'll continue to pay attention and root for ya 

I'm in for the sequel. The second show is usually better than the first right. Well not really lol but I love making new friends.
Shelly
2012-04-05 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3942395

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Happy that a bunch of you will be back with "The Sequel" 

Right now the new thread is parked in a "staging" area for mentor groups.  They limit how many groups are open for members at a given point.  So as more of the new groups fill,  new groups will appear.   I don't know how long this will take but expect it to be any time between now and a few more days.   But no worries,   We'll be "breaking bad"   in no time!  

2012-04-05 3:23 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

BTW I attended my first masters swim last night.   There was a lot of drill focus and the coach,  Tina  is an Ironman her self.   Her time for 2.4 miles?  51 minutes  WOW!  my time?  1:32     me  "sooo which IM have you done?"    Tina;  Two,    IM-Moo and KONA!   yup  qualified on her rookie IM attempt.   Then did Kona.  

So got a ton of instruction and drills to work on.      My hands are too high in water and kick too hard.  Snake in the water and bring my elbow up too far creating extra work for my shoulders.  Next week video taping.     I'm thinking this is really going to help.     

The negative?  community (no, not coed)  style get naked shower area as this is a high school pool and locker room.   Ya not used to that,  had a lil bit of stage fright.   I know  TMI  

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-04-05 3:24 PM
2012-04-05 7:23 PM

User image

Veteran

FINALLY!!! got in the pool tonight.  I did 14 - 35 m lengths.  So is that 14 laps or 7 laps.  Anyway, 490 meters in about 20 minutes.  Is this good, average, or terrible.  I'm thinking not great, but since I have not swam in over 2 years, I'm happy.

I do predominately breathe on my right side, tried bilateral.  I need to work on that.  Also need to work on pressing my split button correctly on my Ironman watch.  I think my time was a little faster than 20 min, but I'm not worried.

It did however give me the confindence to register for my first sprint tri on April 29th.  200 yd swim, 13 mi bike, 5k run.

MY friend was worried about me and I told her that if my heart stops while swimming my defibrillator will go off.  Of course the electricty in the water will disable all the other swimmers and I should be fine.  JUST KIDDING  LOL

HAPPY EASTER AND PASSOVER

2012-04-05 7:25 PM
in reply to: #4132809

User image

Veteran
oriolepwr - 2012-04-05 4:23 PM

BTW I attended my first masters swim last night.   There was a lot of drill focus and the coach,  Tina  is an Ironman her self.   Her time for 2.4 miles?  51 minutes  WOW!  my time?  1:32     me  "sooo which IM have you done?"    Tina;  Two,    IM-Moo and KONA!   yup  qualified on her rookie IM attempt.   Then did Kona.  

So got a ton of instruction and drills to work on.      My hands are too high in water and kick too hard.  Snake in the water and bring my elbow up too far creating extra work for my shoulders.  Next week video taping.     I'm thinking this is really going to help.     

The negative?  community (no, not coed)  style get naked shower area as this is a high school pool and locker room.   Ya not used to that,  had a lil bit of stage fright.   I know  TMI  

Ask her if you still need that toe?  It may soften your kick!  (I'm sorry, couldn't resist)

2012-04-06 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4133149

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-04-05 7:25 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-04-05 4:23 PM

Ask her if you still need that toe?  It may soften your kick!  (I'm sorry, couldn't resist)

The toe didnt come up. Freaking toe.
2012-04-07 2:23 PM

User image

Veteran

So today was my first "official" brick, and starting my tri training plan.  Swam for 20 min and bike for 30.  About an hour in between.  And I'm down to 207.4 lbs 

Hope the next group opens soon.

2012-04-07 10:34 PM
in reply to: #4135643

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-04-07 2:23 PM

So today was my first "official" brick, and starting my tri training plan.  Swam for 20 min and bike for 30.  About an hour in between.  And I'm down to 207.4 lbs 

Hope the next group opens soon.

Great work Tom!   first brick! 

new group will be up soon!   there will be a rule though.......

2012-04-08 6:35 PM

User image

Weather was great for the half marathon.  Ran well (for me) 1:40:33.  I need to work on pacing better though.  Passed quite a few runners on the way out and then hit a wall coming back and got passed by them.  Overall I liked my time, but it just is a little depressing being passed.  I think I might be able to do better if I set a more steady pace throughout.  I picked up a timex watch heart rate monitor, so I think that will help.  Will watch for the 2nd coming and promise not to double dip!
2012-04-08 8:05 PM
in reply to: #4137050

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

trei - 2012-04-08 6:35 PM Weather was great for the half marathon.  Ran well (for me) 1:40:33.  I need to work on pacing better though.  Passed quite a few runners on the way out and then hit a wall coming back and got passed by them.  Overall I liked my time, but it just is a little depressing being passed.  I think I might be able to do better if I set a more steady pace throughout.  I picked up a timex watch heart rate monitor, so I think that will help.  Will watch for the 2nd coming and promise not to double dip!

DUDE!  Awesome time!  you are faster than I am too.   I'm jealous!      You are right though.  If you went a lil slower early on and steady, you would have broke 1:40     ah well  it's all good,   awesome race today and you will PR the next time as well.

That's right no double dipping  will be allowed.    It's like putting your WHOLE face in the dip.   So uncool.     But we will have dip available so there's that to look forward to.

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-04-08 8:13 PM

2012-04-08 8:11 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Easter ride to my sister in-law's house.   Took the loooong way to get there too.    it was REALLY windy out there.  Against me the whole time.     The ride itself  kinda sucked.    But,  I did find WALDO!  and had my iphone to take a pic.     So  y'all can stop looking for him.    No wonder he has been so hard to find.      DO I win anything?     Oh yea  I also accidentally made a video while I was riding.   I think I will edit it and post it some time.

2012-04-09 10:27 AM

User image

Veteran

Hi all.  Back from an awesome spring break cruise to the Bahamas with a nice tan and a few extra pounds!  I managed to get 1 run in on the cruise ship.  I'm not sure how to log the 14 hour day of walking at Universal Studios, though.  Holy cow...that was a workout!  Anyway...hit the bricks this morning and back at it this week.  I have the Carmel Sprint Tri on Sunday!!!!!!   Ready to get this one under my belt and have a panic-free swim!  Honestly...don't care what the time is...just want to be panic-free!!

I'm in for Tour 2 and I don't double dip.  My strategy is to flip to the opposite side of the chip!

Jacki

2012-04-10 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Just registered for my first Sprint Tri on 4/29.  200 yd pool swim, 10 mile bike, 3.1 run.  Now I'm nervous!  LOL
2012-04-10 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Ok time for us to break bad in the Mys-tri the "sequel" As its live!! We will bring the dip Just remember the rule about not double dipping. Unless you use opposite side of chip like Jacki
2012-04-10 2:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Heading home from visiting family for easter. Started out the trip getting to the airport to find both my daughters passports expired march 31st! Rookie mistake can't believe we made as we travel ALL the time!
Sooo no plane for us, girls crying, (me too a little) but they would not let us fly. So back home, then my dh, wonderful man that he is, says how about a road trip? And we drive 12 hours to see the family, yes, we can drive over the border w expired passports but NOT fly, figure that?!?!?

Anyhow, back now, no training recently, gotta get back on that wagon! Warrior dash in may and a sprint tri, time to focus on that bike!

Trei, great run!

Need to catch up on the rest of what I missed, I'm in for round two

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44