BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2012-01-24 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3943465

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL

Whew, I skipped yesterday, but got in a GREAT cycle workout today. I was supposed to do some sprint work, so I decided to download and try the Sufferfest Revolver.

WOW, that was AWESOME. I know that I could just DVR some footage of riding, but it really is motivating to watch the ride, hear the music, and get some instruction.

I made it 15 1/2 out of 16 one minute intervals.

I don't think this image does it justice!

Revolver HR

2012-01-24 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4005751

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Chicaskeeper - 2012-01-23 8:07 AM

Mitch - are you icing it ALOT?  We were able to find this refreezable finger cast that fit on a broken toe at a CVS.  It made icing really easy.  Soak in epsom salt also.

Eli - Awesome on your wife's race.  Hope she is super proud of herself.

Thanks, probably should be icing more. I'll be going to CVS to see if I can find what your talking about.  It's hard to get it iced perfect.

Tried to swim this morning but the pool I use was broken!  I drove to another gym with a pool and it was packed!  No swim for me today but I will spin tonight on my trainer. 

I am a professional Mixologist and own a company here in L.A. that does Bar service for Special events.  We bring full bar service to some of the biggest events here.  Grammy parties, Celebrity weddings, film and T.V. etc... I've also been featured on a few of those Wedding shows on TLC.  I am very happy to have a career like this but we are economy driven and we are definitely feeling the strain.  Hope this economy of ours changes soon!  

2012-01-24 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4008715

User image

South Florida
Cool Job Mitch. Funny you should mention wedding shows/TV. My wedding was featured on the TLC show Four Weddings. It was a pretty cool experience!
2012-01-24 4:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA

Hey guys, survivied a few wet cold days and finally got back on the road today for a 5k run. 

I've worked the past 20 years working for the Dept. Public Works for a nearby town.  Most of my work deals with electrical/mechanical maintenance. 

We are a small university town with about 8K population when school is in session. Longwood University just made the announcement on Monday that they are joining the Big South conference. Hope that will help out with the whole bad economy thing. We really are lucky to have the school in town, it really adds to the local economy.

2012-01-24 9:43 PM
in reply to: #4008722

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

nvalaitis - 2012-01-24 1:29 PM Cool Job Mitch. Funny you should mention wedding shows/TV. My wedding was featured on the TLC show Four Weddings. It was a pretty cool experience!

Funny, I was the featured Mixologist on the Pilot of that show.  Lot's of fun....

2012-01-25 7:53 AM

I love hearing about everyone's cool jobs/lives.  You all are very impressive.

I got in a really nice run last nigth.  Back to my relatively easy 6 miles.  The part that super sucked is when I bit it hard in mile 3.  Stupid sidewalk.  I can't wait for daylight savings time. 

Have to do it- Happy Hump Day 

2012-01-25 9:01 AM

New user

I have been getting some push to do a HIM.  Good pushes.  Dont think I have the bandwidth for this yr though.  What I need to get my arms around is how much time does the training take (hrs per day or week).  What else should I take into consideration? (I do have an incredible Sherpa.. Husband.  He even got praise Sherpaing an IM)

I would be looking at May 2013.  Figuring will build base until Savannah race (nov/marathon) and then have Dec-April to focus on this. Starting HIM training with a solid run base, average swim, bike fitness.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions

2012-01-25 12:19 PM
in reply to: #4009940

User image

Master
Chicaskeeper - 2012-01-25 9:01 AM

I have been getting some push to do a HIM.  Good pushes.  Dont think I have the bandwidth for this yr though.  What I need to get my arms around is how much time does the training take (hrs per day or week).  What else should I take into consideration? (I do have an incredible Sherpa.. Husband.  He even got praise Sherpaing an IM)

I would be looking at May 2013.  Figuring will build base until Savannah race (nov/marathon) and then have Dec-April to focus on this. Starting HIM training with a solid run base, average swim, bike fitness.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions

I would say you should plan on about 6 hours a week for HIM as a minimum. Plus the get ready, clean up, etc. 

I would say use the bike as cross training while you ramp up the run training. That way you will have something of a bike base along with your running base. Use the bike instead of some of the recovery runs. It can build general cardio fitness-lungs and fat processing ability, while giving your joints and body a rest.

2012-01-25 7:30 PM

User image

Master

And, the down side of having swum in a nice yard based pool last week, now I feel sllllllooooowwww.

Did a 1000 meter T test today. I haven't run the numbers, but it wasn't fast.

On the one hand, I did two hard workouts yesterday, and did a bunch of pullups. I mention the pullups since I woke up with a sore midsection this morning and didn't remember why. Now I know.

I am hoping that I would have been MUCH faster if I hadn't been fatigued, or at least, that is what I am telling people!

How was your training this week?

2012-01-26 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
still plugging way at the jorge m cycling plan. today was a long 120 minute ride. BORING but worth it. i can already tells differences in my heart rate and power levels.
2012-01-26 9:34 AM

New user
tks Eli.. about what I figured.  Funny you mentioned the bike.. hubby got me a trainer since I was just starting at add it in.  Between weather and childcare it is hard this time or year to get actual miles in.  Swimming is added last bc I love to swim so as a treat I let myself swim laps.

2012-01-27 10:15 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

How's it going? I had a great week so far training, but I have developed a head cold. I am sure it is from swimming in the pool, as the morning after I swam (yesterday) I woke up with a clogged head, and have had a runny nose since.

So, I may do a light workout today, but I may just rest. I am doing a 30 mile ride tommorow, but will take it easy if I still feel foggy.

ING Half Marathon this weekend. Looking to go 1:50-1:55 with a friend. 

2012-01-28 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
I've had a pretty decent week of training, all things considered.  Long ride tomorrow with IronJim.  Maybe 50 or 60 miles with some hills.  I really miss running...
2012-01-28 10:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
I've had a pretty decent week of training, all things considered.  Long ride tomorrow with IronJim.  Maybe 50 or 60 miles with some hills.  I really miss running...
2012-01-28 7:09 PM
in reply to: #4015897

User image

Veteran
Central VA

I bought a new to me bike today. Laughing Now I just have to learn to ride it!

Cervelo Dual

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/dual.shtml

2012-01-29 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE

Here's a little Sunday humor:

Took a couple days off due to pure laziness and sick kids. planned on a quick run this morning....WHOA. In 3 years this has never happened to me but halfway through the run the jalapenos from last nights nachos hit me, moving south, not north After a quarter mile of what can only be explained as a 'duck walk' the urge subsided and I ran a little more. I had to run walk for the next couple miles til I got to my house (no there was no place to stop in between). Needless to say I'm going to be more cautious in the future of just waking up and going running. My wife had a good laugh when I told her what happened. Note to self: never eat Amigo's Chicken Ranch Nachos the day before I run.

2012-01-29 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4016422

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
pvfd304 - 2012-01-28 5:09 PM

Cervelo Dual

Congrats, have fun!!!

2012-01-29 1:21 PM
in reply to: #4017000

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
jpfeife - 2012-01-29 9:36 AM

Took a couple days off due to pure laziness and sick kids. planned on a quick run this morning....WHOA. In 3 years this has never happened to me but halfway through the run the jalapenos from last nights nachos hit me, moving south, not north After a quarter mile of what can only be explained as a 'duck walk' the urge subsided and I ran a little more. I had to run walk for the next couple miles til I got to my house (no there was no place to stop in between). Needless to say I'm going to be more cautious in the future of just waking up and going running. My wife had a good laugh when I told her what happened. Note to self: never eat Amigo's Chicken Ranch Nachos the day before I run.

Not fun!  I have stomach issues so I know where you're coming from!!!

2012-01-29 8:35 PM

User image

Evansville, IN

Met an awesome couple a few weeks ago. After talking with them I discovered that the wife is a competative swimmer. She offered to help me get my form down with some swimming instruction. I will be the first to tell you that I can swim but it's all power so I waste a ton of energy doing it. No form or finess just power through. I have great stamina because of this but wow it's amazing how just a few technique changes can inprove speed and quality. She had me doing drills i've never done but really helped to get the most out of each stroke. I'm actually looking forward to swimming tomorrow.

2012-01-29 8:37 PM

User image

Evansville, IN
jpfeife - 2012-01-29 11:36 AM

I've heard this happens to almost everyone at one point. I know i've had to dash into the woods before.

2012-01-29 8:41 PM
in reply to: #4016422

User image

Evansville, IN
pvfd304 - 2012-01-28 7:09 PM

Cervelo Dual

Very Nice! I haven't been able to get a bike yet. Honestly I will probably have to ride a mountain bike for this season and go from there. I can't believe how expensive these bikes are. It might take a bit of saving before I can do it.

2012-01-30 4:55 AM
in reply to: #4017725

User image

Veteran
Central VA
neumann_jc - 2012-01-29 9:41 PM
pvfd304 - 2012-01-28 7:09 PM

I can't believe how expensive these bikes are. It might take a bit of saving before I can do it.

I've been watching craigslist for over a year for a road bike in my size and saw this one this weekend. Funny thing was when I got home I was looking on the classifieds on BT and the seller is a member and also had it listed here too. 

I don't know if I'll be using it in my spring race or not yet. Depends on if I can give used to the aero position. It's a bit different to get used to. I also have to dial in the fit. I don't really want to bring it to race day without being comfortable on it. 

2012-01-30 9:08 AM

New user
jpfeife - 2012-01-29 11:36 AM

So sorry.  I have a 'special stomach' so I have to watch my foods.  In my training log I mock myself (and others chime in) when I do the duck walk.. mad dash  and so on..

2012-01-30 12:25 PM

User image

Master

Hey All,

Sounds like an eventful weekend. Good advice about the nachos!

And great news about the bike. I think you are right, you don't want to ride in a race until you are comfortable on it.

I managed to suffer through my headcold with the help of sudafed and tylenol and some nyquil. I took Friday off, rode Saturday afternoon, and then ran the ING half-marathon in Miami on Sunday.

I was pacing a friend who wanted to go for 1:55. the ING Miami is a huge race now, so I knew it would be crowded. Although our first mile was a little slow, I though we were on pace to make it. My watch and foot-pod were misbehaving, so I couldn't always tell how our pace was. Up till about mile 9 I think we were doing well.

However, my friend started to flag a bit at that point, so we ended up at 1:57 and 1:58 (I took off the last half-mile).

Overall, it was a great race for me. Head didn't hurt, legs felt good and I feel well today. I am looking forward to the A1A half marathon in a few weeks, and hope to PR there with a sub 1:49.

2012-01-30 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4017725

User image

Master

neumann_jc - 2012-01-29 8:41 PM  haven't been able to get a bike yet. Honestly I will probably have to ride a mountain bike for this season and go from there. I can't believe how expensive these bikes are. It might take a bit of saving before I can do it.

I think that make sense. Nothing wrong with riding a mountain bike. Many tri's here even have a separate "fat tire" division so you are racing others on mountain bikes.

I would say get some flats though, as it does make the ride smoother and faster.

And keep an eye on craigslist, you never know what will pop up.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16