BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2012-01-18 8:44 AM
in reply to: #3945983

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed

Out on a bike ride yesterday.  Didn't really want to go after an kicker of a day at work, but did so anyway.  I'm cruising along and feeling really good, high cadence on a big gear and I'm thinking man my "bike legs" must be coming back this is great.  Reach my halfway point and !!POW!!! run into a killer head wind.  I am a big guy and catch wind like a main sail and in the aero I was getting tossed around the road.  Fought it all the way home (not fun) but ended up cutting a little off my route.  Legs were shot, I was not a happy camper cause I had to do some little ring grinding to keep my cadence up.  Between the hills and the wind I was spent.

Still glad I made myself get out though.  Should have realized the tailwind was helping.  Core and strength training today, and another bike tomorrow.

2012-01-18 8:55 AM

User image

EP
Dsand as my friend over here put it.  IWBMATTKYAT - I Will Beat My Today To Kick Your Tomorrow.  I pretty much think this every time it gets hard to finish a training leg.
2012-01-18 9:18 AM

User image

Logan Ut

hay all. 

I know it has been a while.  I have had a 6 month old that has been throwing up for the past 3 days.Yell  My wife and I have an agreement that when one is sick I take care of them and she get the others.  So i was not able to get out much.  Went to a Core class last night while the wife was home and the baby was sleeping for 30 minutes.  Will hit the pool to day and I am going to hit 1000 yard today.  i will let you know how it goes when i get back.

2012-01-18 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3996857

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-01-18 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3996857

Expert

StriderArrows - 2012-01-18 8:55 AM Dsand as my friend over here put it.  IWBMATTKYAT - I Will Beat My Today To Kick Your Tomorrow.  I pretty much think this every time it gets hard to finish a training leg.

I agree that is a great quote....I'll have to remember that especially when a long hill is on the horizon.

2012-01-18 4:50 PM

Veteran
N.Ireland
Well I exchanged my shorts for a pair of speedo aqua shorts and it made a big difference, I beat my 5 length pb by 14 seconds bringing it down to 1min 14 sec, I more than likely are gaining it on the turn.

My swim this evening though was all over the place, couldn't get into a rythm for the first 50 lengths, on the second 50 I done speed work and for some reason it came together well.

Also done half a mile on the new bike this evening, its not set up right yet but WOW, some difference in roadie compared to an £80 mountain bike. Looking forward to doing a few miles oh her.....

Definatley worth taking the drag out of your swimming shorts!!

Edited by Marshpike 2012-01-18 4:50 PM

2012-01-18 5:42 PM

EP

I demand that Marsh posts pics of his CAADX action, or it never happened Tongue out

yeah I like that moto.  I use it everytime I look at me 6'5" roommate that is faster then me at all three.  I'm getting there.  I had him running scared at the end of last year.  "He's back there some where and he is hauling." is what he was thinking pretty much the whole race.  That felt awesome to hear.  I cut the finish gap in half between us that race, and it was a bad race.

Edited by StriderArrows 2012-01-18 5:47 PM
2012-01-18 7:46 PM

Haven't responded for a while. It's sure getting cold here in Minnesota!

Was under the weather the past few days. Got out there and ran 26 minutes. Trying to not over do it.

Looks like everyone is doing really well!

2012-01-19 3:26 AM

Got new arch supports and ran a mile on the treadmil, no IT pain!! Never thought I'd be so excited to use a dreadmill, but it was awesome! However, we got a lot of snow followed by freezing rain....so I will not be making the 20min drive to the gym for a day or two. Guess it is time for some yoga-X and stationary bike tomorrow!

Jenny

2012-01-19 6:45 AM

Veteran
Waterford, MI.

Allright gang, I need some help.  I've kind of been in a training funk for about the last week or so.  Life has gotten very busy lately.  I just started a new semester at school and its a very heavy load of classes.  Right now pretty much all of my free time has to be devoted to classes and studying, but I don't have much free time to begin with.  

Along with starting a new semester last week, I started a new new season of volleyball.  I coach a AAU club team in the winter after high school ball is over in the fall. Between coaching and classes, I don't have much time to train.  But time isn't necessarily the problem.  I can make time by sticking to a schedule.  The problem is motivation.

Last week something came up and it looks like my wife wont be able to make the trip to Louisville in August for IMLO.  If it were any other race I wouldn't have a problem with doing it without her there, but as this is going to be my first Ironman I can't imagine crossing the finish line without her there.  She has been so supportive over the last few years when I was going through some dark times after an accident that I had that left me not knowing if I would ever be able to compete in sports again.  

After multiple surgeries and basically two years straight of crutches, no weight bearing on my legs, and a fused wrist, she is the one that gave me motivation to get back into sports.  When i finished my first race, post accident, I felt like we had accomplished it together. I've done several races since then and she has been at everyone of them.  To be honest I never would have signed up for IMLO had I known she wouldn't be able to be there, I would have picked another venue to make it work.

Since I've already paid for IMLO, she won't let me bail on the race.  So I guess my real point to this rant is I need a kick in the pants from you all to get me going again.

Sorry for the long rant, I just need to vent.

2012-01-19 7:11 AM
in reply to: #3998831

Veteran
N.Ireland
NurseJenny - 2012-01-19 9:26 AM

Got new arch supports and ran a mile on the treadmil, no IT pain!! Never thought I'd be so excited to use a dreadmill, but it was awesome! However, we got a lot of snow followed by freezing rain....so I will not be making the 20min drive to the gym for a day or two. Guess it is time for some yoga-X and stationary bike tomorrow!

Jenny

Great to hear!!

Just becareful Jenny as ITB isn't an overnight recovery, you need to see about removing the scar tissue that will have built up around your knee. Deep massage or foam roller will do this, just remember to ice afterwards.

2012-01-19 7:18 AM

Veteran
N.Ireland

Josh looks like you just give yourself a kick up the arse, she will be as proud of you whether shes sitting at the finish line or not, one thing for sure she won't have anything to be proud of if you don't make an attempt.

I like this qoute:

“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.”    

2012-01-19 7:20 AM

Ya, I am still doing PT twice a week. He does the electrical stimulation and deep tissue massage and lots of stretching. And I have been using the roller after my workouts...that thing is brutal! I am really trying to be better about my stretching too! I am just super excited to have run on the treadmill without pain! I am going to stick with a mile at a time for a little bit, and very slowly increase. IDK when I will be allowed to hit the pavement but my dog will love that milestone!

Jenny

2012-01-19 7:21 AM

Veteran
N.Ireland

Foggy now that I have my bike I need to structure my week more carefully, swimming is my main concern for tackling an oly tri, I know I could manage a sprint in my current condition but really want to aim of the Tri end of August.

Have you a link that leads me to a swimming program that will build me to 1500m, appreciate any help.

2012-01-19 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3998992

Veteran
N.Ireland
NurseJenny - 2012-01-19 1:20 PM

Ya, I am still doing PT twice a week. He does the electrical stimulation and deep tissue massage and lots of stretching. And I have been using the roller after my workouts...that thing is brutal! I am really trying to be better about my stretching too! I am just super excited to have run on the treadmill without pain! I am going to stick with a mile at a time for a little bit, and very slowly increase. IDK when I will be allowed to hit the pavement but my dog will love that milestone!

Jenny

Sounds like your doing the right thing, make sure you ice for 10 min after each time you massage and roll as this will flush out the old scar tissue and bring fresh blood and nutirients into the area.

I ran round the town this morning 2.65miles, my second run in orthotics and managed a 7min 20 sec/mile pace. Right arch was a little sore but I'm starting to feel like a runner again, great feeling...

ITB Sucks!!

Edited by Marshpike 2012-01-19 7:25 AM
2012-01-19 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3998921

Expert
jdutton13 - 2012-01-19 6:45 AM

Allright gang, I need some help.  I've kind of been in a training funk for about the last week or so.  Life has gotten very busy lately.  I just started a new semester at school and its a very heavy load of classes.  Right now pretty much all of my free time has to be devoted to classes and studying, but I don't have much free time to begin with.  

Along with starting a new semester last week, I started a new new season of volleyball.  I coach a AAU club team in the winter after high school ball is over in the fall. Between coaching and classes, I don't have much time to train.  But time isn't necessarily the problem.  I can make time by sticking to a schedule.  The problem is motivation.

Last week something came up and it looks like my wife wont be able to make the trip to Louisville in August for IMLO.  If it were any other race I wouldn't have a problem with doing it without her there, but as this is going to be my first Ironman I can't imagine crossing the finish line without her there.  She has been so supportive over the last few years when I was going through some dark times after an accident that I had that left me not knowing if I would ever be able to compete in sports again.  

After multiple surgeries and basically two years straight of crutches, no weight bearing on my legs, and a fused wrist, she is the one that gave me motivation to get back into sports.  When i finished my first race, post accident, I felt like we had accomplished it together. I've done several races since then and she has been at everyone of them.  To be honest I never would have signed up for IMLO had I known she wouldn't be able to be there, I would have picked another venue to make it work.

Since I've already paid for IMLO, she won't let me bail on the race.  So I guess my real point to this rant is I need a kick in the pants from you all to get me going again.

Sorry for the long rant, I just need to vent.

I am far from a motivational speaker but I know what a drag it can be to run/race without your support crew.  Unfortunately she won't be there to support in person, but it sounds like she is giving you all kinds of support right now.  She's not letting you bail on the race so right there goes your excuse to quit, right out the window.

So your first IM distance race will be a solo effort.  You're going to have to do it all on your own which leads me to what I consider to be the greatest motivational speech I've heard.  Never fails to get me off my butt and do something.  I have the mp3 version of this speech as the first track on my playlist.  It's harsh, honest, and true about everything in life.  Including triathlons and training.  I've posted this link several times here on the forum in hopes of helping.  I may have even already posted it here but I am a firm believer in its message.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl_1wh1obyM

I love the quote that says "sieze that moment, that moment is a crossroads where everything you want will collide with everything standing in your way"

Sorry just watched the video again and think I'm going to run laps around the office now.

2012-01-19 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3998998

Edited by FoggyGoggles 2012-01-19 2:03 PM
2012-01-19 2:19 PM

Veteran
N.Ireland

Thanks for that Foggy, I'll give it a good review and migrate it in to my plan

The local tri club have set up an introduction in to Triathlon event 20th May, its only 250m swim, 6 k cycle and 3 k run but it will be good to get the feeling of transition. Going to look for a sprint some time in July which should set me up for the oly in August.

2012-01-19 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3998467

2012-01-19 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3998921

2012-01-19 4:30 PM

Veteran
Waterford, MI.
Thanks for the kick. I am part of the IMLO group, and I'm also gonna try and make it down there at least once to per ride the course with the IAmtri group. I am gonna have a buddie of mine down there with me. I guess I'm just being sappy wanting her there to share the experience with her. P.S. thanks for the link. Needed that.

2012-01-19 7:10 PM

Expert
Good ride tonight....legs felt good, cadence was good, climbs weren't so daunting.  It felt really good.  I wanted to keep going but need to pace my training.  Very happy though.
2012-01-20 7:13 AM

Veteran
Toronto, Canada

Ok, it seems as though i'm 95% better.  I believe the stomach bug that has kept me inactive has passed and today i'm hoping to get some work done on the treadmill.

Once i'm done work for the day i'm hoping to get a decent workout in.

Some decent new though....i did lose 2 lbs while dealing with this stomach bug. Surprised

While I was inactive I called around to try to find a shop that has a 2012 Felt B16 in stock.  I feel like i'm getting closer but still do not have a bike yet.

2012-01-20 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4001014

2012-01-20 3:41 PM

OK gang, I have a bike question.  I'm doing my first sprint tri in May.  I have a mountain bike back from my mt biking days (before kids).  I really don't want to buy a new bike for a first tri, I will if I really enjoy doing it and want to do more.  I'm wondering if I can use my mt bike and just maybe put different tires on it?  Is that crazy?  Do I HAVE to use a road bike for the race???
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 32