BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2012-01-25 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3949904

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
Subject: RE: bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session)
Omahabritt - nice swim 1500 is impressive. It is amazing how quick you can jump up in distance for swimming.

Ben - I was around 150 to 160 normally and focused on getting to 180. At slower speeds it was easy but started to struggle once I bumped my speed up. It feels a lot different ror sure. I can't believe I never looked into before.

2012-01-25 8:04 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Sorry--mia for a couple days. I have been busy as all get out. Having a great running week so far.

When I took up this endurance athletic adventure about 6 years ago, I started by running. I read some excerpts on chi running and it made sense to me (especially as a guy with a totally destroyed knee). I really worked on high cadence, short strides, leaning forward and really just flowing along the ground. I saw almost immediate results and have been very happy with it--ie no knee pain.

I have a very high cadence. I rarely go under 190 steps/minute. I am sure I look like a hamster running on the treadmills at the gym but it seems to work for me. My cadence is very consistent from 7 mph all the way up to 10 mph. I took awhile for it to feel natural but now I don't think I could go back to my old high school running style.
2012-01-26 7:22 AM
in reply to: #4010739

User image

Veteran
Richmond

Omahabritt - 2012-01-25 2:37 PM Had a GREAT swim today. I might actually get this swimming thing eventually!! Main set today was a 1500. Never swam that far without stopping (heck, I've been impressed to do a 200, then break). Told myself, it's only 30 laps, take your time, you can do it. And I DID!!! I was so happy, and I wasn't tired after. Bring it!!

Great job on swimming 1500 straight, it builds a lot of confidence to hit new milestones!

2012-01-26 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Alright! The pool this morning was perfect for this Postal Swim, 60 minutes straight nonsense... Haha

I have to say though...That was really fun! and I am looking forward to doing it a few more times and comparing results.

Although the pool wasnt empty there were not many people there, and on top of that...a couple got in the lane next to me around halfway through and started doind 50's, which was great because I got to race them every few times ( they didnt really know we were racing...) and this helped me pick up the pace and kept things a little more interesting.

I was shooting for 120 laps/ 3km. I am pround to say I did just over 123 laps! So since I didnt bring my waterproof tape measure to see how far i made it into the 124th lap, I am just going to go with 123. One of the hardest parts though was counting laps haha, as I was I swimming I found myself wondering do pros and olympians have people to count laps for them, because that would be helpful!

Well now my arms, and actually most of my body is sore, but I am still super pumped about that swim! Thanks for suggesting it Ben! Everyone should give that a try fo sho!
2012-01-26 9:12 PM
in reply to: #4011899

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

justinfss - 2012-01-26 8:55 AM Alright! The pool this morning was perfect for this Postal Swim, 60 minutes straight nonsense... Haha

I have to say though...That was really fun! and I am looking forward to doing it a few more times and comparing results.

Although the pool wasnt empty there were not many people there, and on top of that...a couple got in the lane next to me around halfway through and started doind 50's, which was great because I got to race them every few times ( they didnt really know we were racing...) and this helped me pick up the pace and kept things a little more interesting.

I was shooting for 120 laps/ 3km. I am pround to say I did just over 123 laps! So since I didnt bring my waterproof tape measure to see how far i made it into the 124th lap, I am just going to go with 123. One of the hardest parts though was counting laps haha, as I was I swimming I found myself wondering do pros and olympians have people to count laps for them, because that would be helpful!

Well now my arms, and actually most of my body is sore, but I am still super pumped about that swim! Thanks for suggesting it Ben! Everyone should give that a try fo sho!

Great job Justin, that is a very impressive performance as well. I was planning on doing mine this weekend, hopefully Sunday. As for pros and olympians, I know most olympic swimmers have coaches that give them the courtesy of keeping time splits on the deck, pros that are coached might have a coach on deck as well. My coach's coach is remote so he has to travel to his training camp and then haves him at his fingertips. masters always has a deck coach if you want to check that option out.

2012-01-26 9:13 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Did tons of IM and butterfly in my swim this morning. That was a rediculously tough set that I found a way to motor through, it will really bring some strength to my swims next week.

2012-01-26 9:44 PM

User image

Toronto-ish
What's involved in the "Postal swim"?
2012-01-27 7:40 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Strangest Trainer Ride last night. I have some questions.

Long story with some background. I have been riding the bike pretty seriously for about two years now and making slow progress at getting faster/more powerful. I have basically let my pedal cadence fall where I thought it felt comfortable and it usually is in the 90-95 range. With that being said I will sometimes go even faster, 95-100 when trying to do big power intervals. This leaves me pretty short of breath with my heart rate high and I always assumed it was due to the power I was trying to hit. My last 20 minute test with this riding style was a total crash and burn failure.

Last nights assigned workout: 3 x 12 minutes at 210 watts, in my biggest gear, with a cadence of 50-60. I was dreading this. Well, amazingly enough, it was easy. My heart rate never went over 150 (I have been routinely seeing mid 160s for 190 watt intervals with a cadence in the 90s). I could have kept going on any interval easily. I was not counting down the seconds until the interval was over.

Have I been doing this completely wrong? Should my goal cadence be in the high 70s/low 80s? Will this technique of pushing the same power at a much lower cadence (mashing?) be sustainable for long course racing? Maybe spinning at a high cadence is not appropriate for me.

Obviously I will have to do a lot more riding and experimenting. A new 20 minute test is in my near future. I am just blown away by the difference in perceived (and in actual, as measured by my HRM) effort for this totally different style (for me) of riding.

Your comments are appreciated.

I am going to post this over in tri talk to see what others say.
2012-01-27 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4013467

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
marvintpa - 2012-01-25 10:44 PM

What's involved in the "Postal swim"?

It's this crazy swim test/race invented by those crazy Yankees, from what I underdtand, and what I did was just swim for 60 minutes straight and see how far you get!
2012-01-27 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4010739

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Omahabritt - 2012-01-24 3:37 PM

Had a GREAT swim today. I might actually get this swimming thing eventually!! Main set today was a 1500. Never swam that far without stopping (heck, I've been impressed to do a 200, then break). Told myself, it's only 30 laps, take your time, you can do it. And I DID!!! I was so happy, and I wasn't tired after. Bring it!!

Great Job Ali!

I really enjoy how you can really go for it in the pool and not wreck yourself as you would on a run/bike/workout.
2012-01-28 8:03 AM
in reply to: #4013740

User image

Veteran
Richmond

wannabefaster - 2012-01-27 7:40 AM Strangest Trainer Ride last night. I have some questions. Long story with some background. I have been riding the bike pretty seriously for about two years now and making slow progress at getting faster/more powerful. I have basically let my pedal cadence fall where I thought it felt comfortable and it usually is in the 90-95 range. With that being said I will sometimes go even faster, 95-100 when trying to do big power intervals. This leaves me pretty short of breath with my heart rate high and I always assumed it was due to the power I was trying to hit. My last 20 minute test with this riding style was a total crash and burn failure. Last nights assigned workout: 3 x 12 minutes at 210 watts, in my biggest gear, with a cadence of 50-60. I was dreading this. Well, amazingly enough, it was easy. My heart rate never went over 150 (I have been routinely seeing mid 160s for 190 watt intervals with a cadence in the 90s). I could have kept going on any interval easily. I was not counting down the seconds until the interval was over. Have I been doing this completely wrong? Should my goal cadence be in the high 70s/low 80s? Will this technique of pushing the same power at a much lower cadence (mashing?) be sustainable for long course racing? Maybe spinning at a high cadence is not appropriate for me. Obviously I will have to do a lot more riding and experimenting. A new 20 minute test is in my near future. I am just blown away by the difference in perceived (and in actual, as measured by my HRM) effort for this totally different style (for me) of riding. Your comments are appreciated. I am going to post this over in tri talk to see what others say.

This is a great question, one that I wonder about myself.  95-100 is at the high end, I think the averages or suggested "good cadence" is anywhere btw 80-100.  My IronFit plan has one day week of Z1 spin at 100 rmp and I can't hardly keep my HR down in Z1 even in my easiest gear due to high rpm, my avg rpm is ~86.  The higher rpm could mean you have an efficient pedal stroke which may come with years of experience cycling.  With that said, I think cadence is very personal and what you feel comfortable with.  I would do a few more tests and compare HR, speed and cadence on the same course and see what it tells you is your most efficient cadence and what feels good. 

2012-01-28 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4013740

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

wannabefaster - 2012-01-27 7:40 AM Strangest Trainer Ride last night. I have some questions. Long story with some background. I have been riding the bike pretty seriously for about two years now and making slow progress at getting faster/more powerful. I have basically let my pedal cadence fall where I thought it felt comfortable and it usually is in the 90-95 range. With that being said I will sometimes go even faster, 95-100 when trying to do big power intervals. This leaves me pretty short of breath with my heart rate high and I always assumed it was due to the power I was trying to hit. My last 20 minute test with this riding style was a total crash and burn failure. Last nights assigned workout: 3 x 12 minutes at 210 watts, in my biggest gear, with a cadence of 50-60. I was dreading this. Well, amazingly enough, it was easy. My heart rate never went over 150 (I have been routinely seeing mid 160s for 190 watt intervals with a cadence in the 90s). I could have kept going on any interval easily. I was not counting down the seconds until the interval was over. Have I been doing this completely wrong? Should my goal cadence be in the high 70s/low 80s? Will this technique of pushing the same power at a much lower cadence (mashing?) be sustainable for long course racing? Maybe spinning at a high cadence is not appropriate for me. Obviously I will have to do a lot more riding and experimenting. A new 20 minute test is in my near future. I am just blown away by the difference in perceived (and in actual, as measured by my HRM) effort for this totally different style (for me) of riding. Your comments are appreciated. I am going to post this over in tri talk to see what others say.

Yes, I have noticed the same thing with this and found there are different schools of thought. Ironically in one of my exercise physiology classes last semester my professor talked about a study he did comparing cycling cadences with different types of cyclists. He divided cyclists into 3 different categories: recreational (us), professional, and lance armstrong (yes lance got his own category. What he found is that, recreational (us), perform best at a lower cadence of 75-85, while the pros and lance perform best at much higher cadences. The conclusion he drew for this was that our bodies are not coordinated enough and we are not getting enough practice as professionals do to maintain an efficient power stroke through a full revolution. He found that, we, bounce around on the saddle too much, upper bodies move, and various other movements that affect our power output. This, however, is just one study, but something I found very thought provoking.

One the concept of becoming out of breath with the higher cadence, well it simply seems that you are reaching your ventilatory threshold, as you are working at a more anaerobic rate. With lower gear workouts such as the one you performed, your are doing a workout that is more strength oriented, and thus, not as taxing on your ventilatory system. You are at a more aerobic level, but the trade off is that you are, muscularly, working at a much different effort. Because you are in a more aerobic state you are nowhere close your ventilatory threshold and thus your hr will be much lower. 

You are not doing anything wrong, but I cannot answer your question on power output as I do not ride with power. With which cadence to ride with in races, well that is completely up to you and experimental. Some say you should hold the same cadence in both bike and run, while others say ride at a lower cadence on the bike and just before you run match your cadence to "spin out" you legs. I have found that it is all preference to me for racing, but in training I ride at several cadences as they all target and focus on something different.

This is a great workout to do and one that I become very fond of last summer. Once you can get outside again, try a big gear workout on some hills and see how you feel. 

2012-01-28 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4015691

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
mdfahy - 2012-01-28 8:03 AM

This is a great question, one that I wonder about myself.  95-100 is at the high end, I think the averages or suggested "good cadence" is anywhere btw 80-100.  My IronFit plan has one day week of Z1 spin at 100 rmp and I can't hardly keep my HR down in Z1 even in my easiest gear due to high rpm, my avg rpm is ~86.  The higher rpm could mean you have an efficient pedal stroke which may come with years of experience cycling.  With that said, I think cadence is very personal and what you feel comfortable with.  I would do a few more tests and compare HR, speed and cadence on the same course and see what it tells you is your most efficient cadence and what feels good. 

seems to be for most. Something I would suggest as I forgot to mention is try doing some testing as follows:

Pick a certain time limit that won't kill you but long enough to have varying data

Ride at 70 rpm's, then 80, then 90, and try 100. Do these all as separate tests and see which cadence provides the best power output and relate it to your hr as well. This to me seems like the most practical way to find out, but like I said, I don't ride with power so maybe there is more to this then meets the eye.

2012-01-28 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Alright guys I an off to Madison for today an possibly tomorrow to work with my coach and our team for some training. I'll bring my laptop, but I don't foresee much free time until I get back tomorrow. I'll report back, and also ask about the cadence questions as well. Have a great weekend everyone!
2012-01-28 2:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Does anyone who rides aero position find that they have a higher heart rate due to the aero position?  Is this normal?
2012-01-28 8:05 PM
in reply to: #4016116

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
mdfahy - 2012-01-28 3:50 PM

Does anyone who rides aero position find that they have a higher heart rate due to the aero position?  Is this normal?

I posted about my fit experience last week. I will tell you that in my old position, being in aero definitely impeded my breathing and my heart rate crept up pretty quickly.

My new position, while more upright, allows me to stay aero for all of my intervals without the heart rate creep and breathlessness of my old position (or at least not as dramatic).

I feel way better in my new position. I think it is going to be worth every penny I spent on it

2012-01-28 8:19 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I did my "postal swim" today. It was not the scheduled workout but when I got to the pool I had my own lane and I was feeling pretty good so I went for it. I managed to do 3,450 yards in 60 minutes. No warm up. Just jumped in and started swimming. I could have swam about another half length before time ran out but I had had enough.

I often feel like the first several hundred yards are the hardest and that was true today. As I got further into it I just felt better and better. I stopped for 2-5 seconds every 300 yards to check my pager because I am "on call" but otherwise just swam straight through. Really a fun swim.

Today was a monster day. 1:53 minutes on the trainer with some pretty aggressive intervals. Kept the cadence between 80-85 to see what that would do to me. It was good. I think it tired my legs out a little more than the higher cadence riding but.....

I jumped off the trainer and did 2 miles in 15:21 and felt good doing it.

More experimenting with cadence and power to follow.

Overall a great day. Tomorrow is my long run for the week so we will see if I have really wrecked my legs or not.

Jason

2012-01-28 8:54 PM
in reply to: #4016499

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
wannabefaster - 2012-01-27 9:19 PM

I did my "postal swim" today. It was not the scheduled workout but when I got to the pool I had my own lane and I was feeling pretty good so I went for it. I managed to do 3,450 yards in 60 minutes. No warm up. Just jumped in and started swimming. I could have swam about another half length before time ran out but I had had enough.

I often feel like the first several hundred yards are the hardest and that was true today. As I got further into it I just felt better and better. I stopped for 2-5 seconds every 300 yards to check my pager because I am "on call" but otherwise just swam straight through. Really a fun swim.

Today was a monster day. 1:53 minutes on the trainer with some pretty aggressive intervals. Kept the cadence between 80-85 to see what that would do to me. It was good. I think it tired my legs out a little more than the higher cadence riding but.....

I jumped off the trainer and did 2 miles in 15:21 and felt good doing it.

More experimenting with cadence and power to follow.

Overall a great day. Tomorrow is my long run for the week so we will see if I have really wrecked my legs or not.

Jason

Good Job Man!... I have got to step up my game if I want to hang with you monsters...
  • ..Man after my 60 minutes I took the rest of the day off!

• 2012-01-28 10:56 PM
    in reply to: #4016547

Regular
    That is a heck of a couple workouts!  Keep it going!
    2012-01-29 7:02 PM

User image

Master
    ann arbor, michigan
    Today's run was 13 miles. I definitely felt yesterday's bike/run in my legs.

I sometimes wonder if runs on days like this have more psychological than physiologic benefit. Outside it was only 25 degrees with some huge wind gusts and an unexpected 3 inches of snow. I looked out the window and pretty much every fiber of my being wanted to curl up in bed for a couple hours instead of running. But......I know I will be ticked off at myself if I skip a workout like this one so I went out and did it. I did slip and end up on my a$$ twice and almost fell about a dozen more times. I think I will be sore all over tomorrow from just trying to stay upright. I know I will draw on the "harden up" mentality it took to run today during some race down the road.

Anyways, enough philosiphising. Glad to have that run behind me.
    2012-01-29 8:50 PM
    in reply to: #4017549

User image

Veteran
    Omaha, NE
    wannabefaster - 2012-01-29 7:02 PMToday's run was 13 miles. I definitely felt yesterday's bike/run in my legs.I sometimes wonder if runs on days like this have more psychological than physiologic benefit. Outside it was only 25 degrees with some huge wind gusts and an unexpected 3 inches of snow. I looked out the window and pretty much every fiber of my being wanted to curl up in bed for a couple hours instead of running. But......I know I will be ticked off at myself if I skip a workout like this one so I went out and did it. I did slip and end up on my a$$ twice and almost fell about a dozen more times. I think I will be sore all over tomorrow from just trying to stay upright. I know I will draw on the "harden up" mentality it took to run today during some race down the road.Anyways, enough philosiphising. Glad to have that run behind me.
    Jason, great job on your run!! I was thinking the same thing today!! As opposed to the "cut-your-losses-and-go-home workout", we talked about the other day, I like to call this the "htfu-and-get-it-done workout". After not getting a 10-mile long run in for a couple of weeks, and it driving me crazy, it was on tap today. Cloudy, colder than I planned weather, forgetting my water, not being able to get to my sport beans my daughter helped zip into my back pocket, blah, blah, blah. I soon realized it was one of those days, and barring serious injury, it was going to get done. Always think these sort of days help on race days, when you have to go on regardless of what happens. Today turned out better than expected, and was a good mental run.

2012-01-29 8:57 PM

User image

Veteran
    Omaha, NE
    Also, GREAT job on all your awesome swims this week!! The postal swim sounds great, and I hope to do it in maybe a month or so. Way to rock it, you are an inspiration to me!
    2012-01-29 10:06 PM
    in reply to: #4017740

User image

Expert
    Madison, Wisconsin

Omahabritt - 2012-01-29 8:50 PM
    wannabefaster - 2012-01-29 7:02 PMToday's run was 13 miles. I definitely felt yesterday's bike/run in my legs.I sometimes wonder if runs on days like this have more psychological than physiologic benefit. Outside it was only 25 degrees with some huge wind gusts and an unexpected 3 inches of snow. I looked out the window and pretty much every fiber of my being wanted to curl up in bed for a couple hours instead of running. But......I know I will be ticked off at myself if I skip a workout like this one so I went out and did it. I did slip and end up on my a$$ twice and almost fell about a dozen more times. I think I will be sore all over tomorrow from just trying to stay upright. I know I will draw on the "harden up" mentality it took to run today during some race down the road.Anyways, enough philosiphising. Glad to have that run behind me.
    Jason, great job on your run!! I was thinking the same thing today!! As opposed to the "cut-your-losses-and-go-home workout", we talked about the other day, I like to call this the "htfu-and-get-it-done workout". After not getting a 10-mile long run in for a couple of weeks, and it driving me crazy, it was on tap today. Cloudy, colder than I planned weather, forgetting my water, not being able to get to my sport beans my daughter helped zip into my back pocket, blah, blah, blah. I soon realized it was one of those days, and barring serious injury, it was going to get done. Always think these sort of days help on race days, when you have to go on regardless of what happens. Today turned out better than expected, and was a good mental run.

Well done Jason! This are the runs that you need to store in the memory bank and draw on in your biggest races when times are tough. Reminding yourself of runs such as these are a great help well some mental motivation is needed inside your head. 

2012-01-29 10:07 PM
    in reply to: #4017754

User image

Expert
    Madison, Wisconsin

Omahabritt - 2012-01-29 8:57 PM Also, GREAT job on all your awesome swims this week!! The postal swim sounds great, and I hope to do it in maybe a month or so. Way to rock it, you are an inspiration to me!

x2 on the swims everyone! I am really happy and proud to see everyone going for it, and pushing themselves in a new way. I planned to do it today, life got in the way. I start my coaching formally with Blake tomorrow, so I am going to have him fit it into the schedule sometime soon. 

2012-01-29 10:13 PM
    in reply to: #4016473

User image

Expert
    Madison, Wisconsin

wannabefaster - 2012-01-28 8:05 PM
    mdfahy - 2012-01-28 3:50 PM Does anyone who rides aero position find that they have a higher heart rate due to the aero position?  Is this normal?
    I posted about my fit experience last week. I will tell you that in my old position, being in aero definitely impeded my breathing and my heart rate crept up pretty quickly. My new position, while more upright, allows me to stay aero for all of my intervals without the heart rate creep and breathlessness of my old position (or at least not as dramatic). I feel way better in my new position. I think it is going to be worth every penny I spent on it

We were talking about this all last night. Aero benefits can only be so great until you start to minimize other parts of your fit. Some people think that they need to be as low as possible and tight as possible as well. However, doing this to an extreme, or just even over doing it will close your lungs dramatically. THis causes you to get in less oxygen into your lungs and constrict your breathing, tighten your hr, and in turn, your muscles with fatigue much quicker without a fresh oxygen supply. With your fit open up your lungs by spreading out your aero bars some, also sitting a bit higher can also open your lungs too. Some people are so cramped with their position it boggles my mind how they can breath at all.  Am I answering the question here? Just repeating Jason? Or am I way off from what you are asking?

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session) Rss Feed  

of 19