BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 2012 Group FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-01-22 7:40 PM
in reply to: #4004911

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Shellback1998 2012 Group FULL
iTri-d - 2012-01-22 6:32 PM

Tomorrow morning I begin the training with 50m swim and then I think 3 mile bike ride.  I am not knowledgeable on swimming.   Are there suggested ways to swim which are better for doing this?  I figure I better start out on the right "foot" in swimming because it is the one I dread the most.

OH - I really really really want to buy a heart rate monitor but freeze every time I look them up.  I just don't want to pick wrong and there are so many different options.  I just kind of shut down.  Any suggested sites to figure out which one is best for me?  Any hints and tips for operations/options are best for newbies?  Any suggestions for best fit for a larger person? 

I got a Polar with a chest strap--I think the chest strap is really important for accuracy.  They're not that pricey, so don't worry about screwing it up. 

Ok, this is probably not the recommended version, but for those of us with limited funds, personal swimming classes and $150 DVD courses are just not in the budget.  What I did:  started swimming, knowing I was probably not doing it right.  I focused on bilateral breathing, which took some adjusting to, and just being comfortable.  What helped me most was swimsmooth.com.  They have an animated swimmer you can download and watch from every angle and videos that break down the stroke and offer all kinds of tips.  So I watched the swimmer over and over and over and over... If you know anyone who will watch you and give you pointers, that's a definite plus.  But in the meantime, on the cheap, check out swimsmooth--it's free

2012-01-22 7:44 PM
in reply to: #4004522

User image

Regular

shellback1998 - 2012-01-22 1:19 PM

Strength training is great for most of the base and build phases... 2-3 times a week is optimul

You should try these

-Adaptation Phase

- Hack Squat

- Lat Pull Down

- Leg Press

- Seated Row

- Leg Extension

- Hamstring Curls

X2/week

Thanks!  Having a plan is very important to me   And to have it be simple is also a plus -  I don't know about the hack squats--they make me a little nervous and I don't know if there's a set up at the gym for it.  I'll have to look and get one of the employees there to help me with that one.  After I've done that a few times, I'll be back for more!

2012-01-22 8:11 PM
in reply to: #4004580

User image

shellback1998 - 2012-01-22 2:58 PM

Where are you in your training? Base Phase or Build?

Definitely in the base phase at the moment.

2012-01-22 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3950785

User image

Swimming question - Since I am very new to swimming, should I do more swimming than the training plan calls for?  I can go 5 mornings a week, the training plan calls for 3 days each week.  
2012-01-23 6:18 AM
in reply to: #4005035

User image

Expert

iTri-d - 2012-01-22 9:28 PM Swimming question - Since I am very new to swimming, should I do more swimming than the training plan calls for?  I can go 5 mornings a week, the training plan calls for 3 days each week.  

It all depends. What would you think your limiter is? I would stick with the three days a week, and continue working on the bike and run as well. 

2012-01-23 6:22 AM
in reply to: #4004981

User image

Expert
peregrinesgirl - 2012-01-22 8:40 PM
iTri-d - 2012-01-22 6:32 PM

Tomorrow morning I begin the training with 50m swim and then I think 3 mile bike ride.  I am not knowledgeable on swimming.   Are there suggested ways to swim which are better for doing this?  I figure I better start out on the right "foot" in swimming because it is the one I dread the most.

OH - I really really really want to buy a heart rate monitor but freeze every time I look them up.  I just don't want to pick wrong and there are so many different options.  I just kind of shut down.  Any suggested sites to figure out which one is best for me?  Any hints and tips for operations/options are best for newbies?  Any suggestions for best fit for a larger person? 

I got a Polar with a chest strap--I think the chest strap is really important for accuracy.  They're not that pricey, so don't worry about screwing it up. 

Ok, this is probably not the recommended version, but for those of us with limited funds, personal swimming classes and $150 DVD courses are just not in the budget.  What I did:  started swimming, knowing I was probably not doing it right.  I focused on bilateral breathing, which took some adjusting to, and just being comfortable.  What helped me most was swimsmooth.com.  They have an animated swimmer you can download and watch from every angle and videos that break down the stroke and offer all kinds of tips.  So I watched the swimmer over and over and over and over... If you know anyone who will watch you and give you pointers, that's a definite plus.  But in the meantime, on the cheap, check out swimsmooth--it's free

Great job! You can also use Youtube and look up Total Immersion swimming.... That will always help you out as well. Use the internet as much as possible.

2012-01-23 7:06 AM
in reply to: #4004911

User image

Expert
iTri-d - 2012-01-22 7:32 PM

Thank you for letting me join. I have been wondering if I made the cut off all day.  Here is more information about me. 

Name: Christi

Story: I have never done a triathlon but have read the magazine for years *Grin*  I completed my first 5k in October and was looking at a fun one in Chicago in June when a girlfriend asked me to join her in the Sprint Triathlon in Naperville, IL on June 10.  I stressed out, worried, hoped and finally agreed.  So, here I am.  I am 5'10-11" and close to 250 lbs.  I had my 2nd baby 8 months ago and am hoping that the triathlon training will help me lose weight.  I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian and plan to log food on MyFitnessPal.com.  I have been using them off and on and their database has all the vegetarian foods I eat.  A few events have happened in the last month which make NOW the time for me to do this.  Lost 2 friends to cancer on the first.  A friend, her Mother in Law and StepMother In Law were all diagnosed with cancer.  A girlfriend from High School lost her father 2 nights ago due to heart attack.  He was only 58.  A friend from HS lost his mother yesterday to cancer and my mother had a heart incident in December (she is 59).  NOW is the time because who knows what we will learn tomorrow. So sorry for the bad news there.  Just wanted to share why now.

Family Status: Married 4ish years, 3.5 year old son and 8 month old daughter. I am an older mom as I am 35 years old. I married late, had kids late and am apparently late to the Triathlon world *Grin* 

Current Training: I did Couch25K and did my first 5k in October.  Been doing treadmill and weights 3-ish times a week off and on over the holidays.  Lost 40-ish lbs since baby born 8 months ago doing this and watching my intake of calories.  

2011 Races: First 5k October

Planned 2012 Races: SHErox - Sunday June 10, 2012, Centennial Beach, Naperville IL

.75K (.5 mile) swim, 22.8K (14.2 mile) bike, 5K (3.1 mile) run

Weightloss: I would like to weigh 190 and currently weigh 248  

Currently my questions center around nutrition. I am lost and clueless as to how to balance out the changes in my schedule, changes in activity levels and what my body will now need.  I did order a book online, but it isn't here yet.  

I guess that is a lot.  Working on my visualization board tonight - has my gym hours, training schedule for the week, distances for each leg of the race and other things to keep me motivated. I am pretty excited.

On the nutrition part, do you know how many calories your bodies need to survive? or do you know what your BMR, or RMR Are? These are good to know, because you do need to fuel your body for this work outs.  It also depends on how many hours you're actually working out. 

e.g if I don't have any workouts planned that day, the number of calories I could consume would be considerable less, as to an 17 hour training week.

go to this page, and get a rough idea on how many calories you need at rest not to gain one pound

http://www.life123.com/health/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/how-many-calories-to-lose-weight.shtml

You should eat food that's core friendly

Concentrate on eating low Glycemic Index foods (GI < 55) throughout the day. High glycemic foods, such as grains and refined sugars, cause blood sugar levels to spike, which can lead to increased hunger, fatigue, and excessive storage of body fat. These higher GI foods, such as grains and refined sugars, should be consumed during “windows” before or after your workout to help maintain/restore glycogen levels. Note, during periods where you are actively trying to lose weight, do not utilize the post workout window. 

For foods that have a label (manmade), make sure the ratio of: ((carbs+sugar-fiber)/(fat+protein)) is less than 2 on non-workout days or during “Core” periods. This rule does not apply to fruits and vegetables as they do not have a food label. This of course does not apply to your recovery drink. 

Window

Pre Workout

Recovery Drink

Post Workout**

During Day

Explanation

Within 1 hour prior to workout

Within 1/2 hour following a workout

Within a window equal to the workout time following the workout

All nonworkout periods. Nonathletes should always eat as if in this period

Recommendation

Easy digestible, moderate glycemic foods (GI=55 to 85)

High glycemic liquids with a 4 to 1 ratio of carbohydrates to protein (GI=85 to 100)

Moderate glycemic carbohydrates (GI=55 to 85) and a protein source 

Low glycemic foods (GI<55) that are high in vitamins/minerals, nutrients, and protein

Carbohydrate Examples 

Figs newtons, gels, bread, power/clif bar, natures valley bar 

Endurox or home brew recovery drink

Bread, potatoes, raisins

Lean Proteins, Fruits, Vegetables, Builder Bars, Balance Bars, Zone Bars

Examples of the Home Brew Recovery Drink 

1 scoop Endurox = 26.5g carbs = 

[1.5 cups skim milk + 1 tsp chocolate syrup] 

b. 2 scoops Endurox = 53g carbs = 

[2.25 cups skim milk + 1 tbsp chocolate syrup] 

c. 3 scoops Endurox = 79.5g carbs = 

[3 cups skim milk + 1 tbsp and 2 tsp chocolate syrup] 

(Screen Shot 2012-01-23 at 8.02.53 AM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2012-01-23 at 8.02.53 AM.png (68KB - 1 downloads)
2012-01-23 10:03 AM

User image

Found this podcast the other day that seems to have some super helpful advice.  I've only listened to two, but as a total novice I found it was information that I needed.  It can be found through iTunes, but here is the website as well: http://www.tri-talk.com/
2012-01-23 11:50 AM

User image

Well according to that website it appears I need to consume 2368 calories in order to lose 1 lb per week and while doing 3-5 workouts per week.  

That seems like a ton of calories.  Maybe I should consider aiming for 2 lbs per week  - that would still be 1868 calories.

Today was training day one and it was Swim and bike (was supposed to be run but i read it wrong).  I suck at swimming.  SUCK - as in I hope this training really does help because if it doesn't it will take me the whole 2.5 hours to finish just the swim part.  A little deflated on that.

I bought the book Triathloning for Ordinary Mortals on advice of a friend who has done triathlons.  I hope to learn a few things from there.  

This morning I had all sorts of questions while swimming, but can't remember them at this time *grin*  I bet this will happen a lot.   

2012-01-23 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4005998

User image

Dupont, Washington
Make sure to share any gems of information you gain from the book. I am new to this sport as well.
2012-01-23 12:13 PM

User image

Dupont, Washington
I began my training today officially. I was suppose to run 3 miles however my normal route is 4 so I just did that. Issue today was ICE. It was horrible out there, stride was cut down to baby steps and all of my stabilizing muscles are now screaming bloody murder. I am hopeful that it will melt off by my next run on Wed. The big hurdle was getting out the door at 5:00 in the morning despite the cold and ice. 1 Victory down

Darin

2012-01-23 12:25 PM
in reply to: #4006068

User image

padarinsmith - 2012-01-23 1:13 PM Issue today was ICE.

Congrats on your victory and YOU ARE BRAVE.  I have resigned myself to treadmill and stationary bike for the next few months.  I prefer running/walking (have to be honest I am a slow jogger if doing anything over a few miles) outside, so can't wait for spring.

I too was up at 5 - the pool opens at 5:30 and I had to do first swim and then bike before hubby left for work at 7-ish.  I was stressed, but was able to drive there, swim, change, bike, drive home and all on time.  Won't work so smoothly as the miles/meters are added into the training, but for now I felt accomplished *Grin* 

2012-01-23 12:27 PM
in reply to: #4006056

User image

padarinsmith - 2012-01-23 1:10 PM Make sure to share any gems of information you gain from the book. I am new to this sport as well.

Will do!  I also have my eye on the Triathlon Bible (or something like that).  One book at a time though.  I feel like I keep buying stuff in the hopes that it will help me when the reality is that I just need to DO IT!!!  *Grin*

2012-01-23 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4006068

User image

Expert

padarinsmith - 2012-01-23 1:13 PM I began my training today officially. I was suppose to run 3 miles however my normal route is 4 so I just did that. Issue today was ICE. It was horrible out there, stride was cut down to baby steps and all of my stabilizing muscles are now screaming bloody murder. I am hopeful that it will melt off by my next run on Wed. The big hurdle was getting out the door at 5:00 in the morning despite the cold and ice. 1 Victory down Darin

Congrats... how hard did you run? e.g. are running with HR zones established?

2012-01-23 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4006092

User image

Expert
iTri-d - 2012-01-23 1:25 PM

padarinsmith - 2012-01-23 1:13 PM Issue today was ICE.

Congrats on your victory and YOU ARE BRAVE.  I have resigned myself to treadmill and stationary bike for the next few months.  I prefer running/walking (have to be honest I am a slow jogger if doing anything over a few miles) outside, so can't wait for spring.

I too was up at 5 - the pool opens at 5:30 and I had to do first swim and then bike before hubby left for work at 7-ish.  I was stressed, but was able to drive there, swim, change, bike, drive home and all on time.  Won't work so smoothly as the miles/meters are added into the training, but for now I felt accomplished *Grin* 

Great job! It does get easier, but stick at it

2012-01-23 2:55 PM
in reply to: #4006276

User image

Dupont, Washington
shellback1998 - 2012-01-23 11:29 AM

padarinsmith - 2012-01-23 1:13 PM I began my training today officially. I was suppose to run 3 miles however my normal route is 4 so I just did that. Issue today was ICE. It was horrible out there, stride was cut down to baby steps and all of my stabilizing muscles are now screaming bloody murder. I am hopeful that it will melt off by my next run on Wed. The big hurdle was getting out the door at 5:00 in the morning despite the cold and ice. 1 Victory down Darin

Congrats... how hard did you run? e.g. are running with HR zones established?

I don't have a HR monitor yet. planning on picking one up just don't have the funds yet.

2012-01-23 4:33 PM
in reply to: #4004916

User image

shellback1998 - 2012-01-22 7:42 PM
iTri-d - 2012-01-22 7:32 PM

Thank you for letting me join. I have been wondering if I made the cut off all day.  Here is more information about me. 

Name: Christi

Story: I have never done a triathlon but have read the magazine for years *Grin*  I completed my first 5k in October and was looking at a fun one in Chicago in June when a girlfriend asked me to join her in the Sprint Triathlon in Naperville, IL on June 10.  I stressed out, worried, hoped and finally agreed.  So, here I am.  I am 5'10-11" and close to 250 lbs.  I had my 2nd baby 8 months ago and am hoping that the triathlon training will help me lose weight.  I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian and plan to log food on MyFitnessPal.com.  I have been using them off and on and their database has all the vegetarian foods I eat.  A few events have happened in the last month which make NOW the time for me to do this.  Lost 2 friends to cancer on the first.  A friend, her Mother in Law and StepMother In Law were all diagnosed with cancer.  A girlfriend from High School lost her father 2 nights ago due to heart attack.  He was only 58.  A friend from HS lost his mother yesterday to cancer and my mother had a heart incident in December (she is 59).  NOW is the time because who knows what we will learn tomorrow. So sorry for the bad news there.  Just wanted to share why now.

Family Status: Married 4ish years, 3.5 year old son and 8 month old daughter. I am an older mom as I am 35 years old. I married late, had kids late and am apparently late to the Triathlon world *Grin* 

Current Training: I did Couch25K and did my first 5k in October.  Been doing treadmill and weights 3-ish times a week off and on over the holidays.  Lost 40-ish lbs since baby born 8 months ago doing this and watching my intake of calories.  

2011 Races: First 5k October

Planned 2012 Races: SHErox - Sunday June 10, 2012, Centennial Beach, Naperville IL

.75K (.5 mile) swim, 22.8K (14.2 mile) bike, 5K (3.1 mile) run

Weightloss: I would like to weigh 190 and currently weigh 248  

Currently my questions center around nutrition. I am lost and clueless as to how to balance out the changes in my schedule, changes in activity levels and what my body will now need.  I did order a book online, but it isn't here yet.  

I guess that is a lot.  Working on my visualization board tonight - has my gym hours, training schedule for the week, distances for each leg of the race and other things to keep me motivated. I am pretty excited.

Welcome Christi, ok, with your HRM try to get a POLAR or GARMIN, just two that I"m most familiar with you and I find that they give the most accurate readings. You'll be busy training with these and it will keep you honest to make sure you aren't over training for this triathlon. 

Congrats on doing the C25k, how did you do? Did you follow the plan? Are you good at structured plans? What kind of bike do you have? 

Christi,

You are no so old.  If you are calling yourself an old parent, then I'm over the hill.  You are what your heart and mind set says you are.  My wife and I had our third when we were 40, and we have friends in their mid-50s with a 4-year old.

2012-01-23 4:35 PM

User image

Subject: Incline on Treadmill
What is the minimum incline you should use on a treadmill.  I've heard that you want some type of incline to avoid shin splits.  Is this true?  If so, what should the min. incline be?  Thanks.
2012-01-23 4:38 PM
in reply to: #4006761

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Incline on Treadmill
CraigS - 2012-01-23 5:35 PMWhat is the minimum incline you should use on a treadmill.  I've heard that you want some type of incline to avoid shin splits.  Is this true?  If so, what should the min. incline be?  Thanks.
Minimum 1% on a treadmill .
2012-01-23 4:45 PM
in reply to: #4006769

User image

shellback1998 - 2012-01-23 5:38 PM
CraigS - 2012-01-23 5:35 PMWhat is the minimum incline you should use on a treadmill.  I've heard that you want some type of incline to avoid shin splits.  Is this true?  If so, what should the min. incline be?  Thanks.

Thanks.  Is it to avoid shin splints?

2012-01-23 4:50 PM

I resolved my bike issue over the weekend. I bought a used Cervelo P3C from a friend. Got a deal I couldn't pass up. I will have it adjusted by my LBS tomorrow and begin logging some miles.

2012-01-23 4:54 PM
in reply to: #4006780

User image

Expert
CraigS - 2012-01-23 5:45 PM

That I am not sure of but the incline puts you in the natural position when running same as outside.
2012-01-23 4:56 PM
in reply to: #4006790

User image

Expert
dkhickman - 2012-01-23 5:50 PMI resolved my bike issue over the weekend. I bought a used Cervelo P3C from a friend. Got a deal I couldn't pass up. I will have it adjusted by my LBS tomorrow and begin logging some miles.
Awesome job! Great bike...
2012-01-23 5:02 PM
in reply to: #4006799

User image

shellback1998 - 2012-01-23 5:54 PM

That I am not sure of but the incline puts you in the natural position when running same as outside.

FYI.  Just saw this on the internet at livestrong.com. 

"When you exercise on a treadmill, moving on a 0-degree incline can actually  mimic running downhill, which can contribute to shin splints. To reduce shin  pain, run at a 1 percent or higher incline. This  height helps to mimic the  typical incline when running outdoors."

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://dm.demdex.net/event?d_px=18109&d_ld=containerid%3D432%26_ts%3D1327359691479&d_rtbd=json&d_dst=1&d_cts=1&d_cb=demdexDestCallback1327359691479"><script type="text/javascript">// ({pdata:[18109]});// ]]>
<script type="text/javascript">// (function(){ if( !navigator.cookieEnabled || Tim.getCookie('_ls') === 'demdex'){ return; } var map = {'m12-17': 19270,'m18-24': 19253,'m25-34': 19254,'m35-44': 19255,'m45-54': 19256,'m55-64': 19257,'m65': 19258,'f12-17': 19271,'f18-24': 19259,'f25-34': 19260,'f35-44': 19261,'f45-54': 19262,'f55-64': 19263,'f65': 19264}, tags = document.getElementsByTagName('meta'), tag = ""; len = tags.length; while(len--){ tag = tags[len]; if(tag.name === "subpagetype" && tag.scheme === "DMINSTR2" && map.hasOwnProperty(tag.content)){ Tim.demdexSubmit({'pdata': [map[tag.content]]}); document.cookie = '_ls=demdex;domain=.' + document.domain.split('.').slice(-2).join('.') + ';path=/;expires=' + new Date(new Date().getTime() + 86400000).toUTCString(); } }}());// ]]>

<iframe id="dpiframe" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: none;" src="http://fast.dm.demdex.net/dest2.html?nexac=1&nexacvalidttl=14400#http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beginnertriathlete.com%2Fdiscussion%2Fforums%2Fthread-post.asp%3Faction%3Dreply%26replyto%3D4006799%26quote%3Dyes" width="0" height="0">
2012-01-23 5:05 PM
in reply to: #4006811

User image

Expert
CraigS - 2012-01-23 6:02 PM
shellback1998 - 2012-01-23 5:54 PM

FYI.  Just saw this on the internet at livestrong.com. 

"When you exercise on a treadmill, moving on a 0-degree incline can actually  mimic running downhill, which can contribute to shin splints. To reduce shin  pain, run at a 1 percent or higher incline. This  height helps to mimic the  typical incline when running outdoors."

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://dm.demdex.net/event?d_px=18109&d_ld=containerid%3D432%26_ts%3D1327359691479&d_rtbd=json&d_dst=1&d_cts=1&d_cb=demdexDestCallback1327359691479"><script type="text/javascript">// ({pdata:[18109]});// ]]>
<script type="text/javascript">// (function(){ if( !navigator.cookieEnabled || Tim.getCookie('_ls') === 'demdex'){ return; } var map = {'m12-17': 19270,'m18-24': 19253,'m25-34': 19254,'m35-44': 19255,'m45-54': 19256,'m55-64': 19257,'m65': 19258,'f12-17': 19271,'f18-24': 19259,'f25-34': 19260,'f35-44': 19261,'f45-54': 19262,'f55-64': 19263,'f65': 19264}, tags = document.getElementsByTagName('meta'), tag = ""; len = tags.length; while(len--){ tag = tags[len]; if(tag.name === "subpagetype" && tag.scheme === "DMINSTR2" && map.hasOwnProperty(tag.content)){ Tim.demdexSubmit({'pdata': [map[tag.content]]}); document.cookie = '_ls=demdex;domain=.' + document.domain.split('.').slice(-2).join('.') + ';path=/;expires=' + new Date(new Date().getTime() + 86400000).toUTCString(); } }}());// ]]>

<iframe id="dpiframe" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: none;" src="http://fast.dm.demdex.net/dest2.html?nexac=1&nexacvalidttl=14400#http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beginnertriathlete.com%2Fdiscussion%2Fforums%2Fthread-post.asp%3Faction%3Dreply%26replyto%3D4006799%26quote%3Dyes" width="0" height="0">
That's cool I did not know this... You taught me something
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 2012 Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 23