BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2012-12-27 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4550217

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed
michgirlsk - 2012-12-27 1:53 PM
trigal38 - 2012-12-27 2:14 PM

Tony my "long" run is only 3 miles so not actually long at all .

One more thing, I'm looking for some suggestions of what I can eat quickly during my T/Th mornings. My schedule is 9:00-9:45 swim, quick shower, treadmill run of 2 miles or so, change quickly, set up equipment for my toddler gym class, teach class, clean up. I'm finished with all of that by 12:00. I'm starving in the middle of all of this. I usually bring a banana and some almonds but this does not fill me up and honestly - I'm just tired of eating the same thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions - I need something I can grab and go, eat while I'm walking from one thing to the other or even in the van on the way to the Y. Maybe a granola bar or something but I'm trying not to eat sugary treats.

Warren I'm no expert but I also think you can handle those races with no problem.

Do you eat anything in the morning before you go for all of that?  If that were me, I'd definitely try to fit in a good meal in the morning!

Yes but I eat at 5:30 or 6:00 so by the time I leave the house at 7:45 I'm already starting to get hungry again! I usually eat either a fried egg, a peanut butter sandwich or a bowl of oatmeal with coffee and a side of fruit.

2012-12-27 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4550220

User image

Bronze member
bhargavs - 2012-12-27 1:53 PM

One more thing, I'm looking for some suggestions of what I can eat quickly during my T/Th mornings. My schedule is 9:00-9:45 swim, quick shower, treadmill run of 2 miles or so, change quickly, set up equipment for my toddler gym class, teach class, clean up. I'm finished with all of that by 12:00. I'm starving in the middle of all of this. I usually bring a banana and some almonds but this does not fill me up and honestly - I'm just tired of eating the same thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions - I need something I can grab and go, eat while I'm walking from one thing to the other or even in the van on the way to the Y. Maybe a granola bar or something but I'm trying not to eat sugary treats.

Warren I'm no expert but I also think you can handle those races with no problem.

Have you ever tried a boku bar? It is basically a protein bar with a bunch of other good stuff in it like almonds, strawberries etc. This guy who sits right next to me at work is addicted to it. It does taste delicious and its all organic but I found it a bit too heavy for my afternoon snack and also a little pricey at $4 a bar. May be it's worth a try? http://shop.bokusuperfood.com

These sound perfect but YIKES - expensive!!

2012-12-27 2:06 PM
in reply to: #4550237

User image

Bronze member

michgirlsk - 2012-12-27 2:01 PM Well, the one race I was thinking about doing for July I learned today is cancelled!  Which now leaves me pondering what race to do for that month!  I was thinking about the SheRox Detroit tri, and I contacted them through their series website about when dates will be coming out and received a response saying the whole series has been cancelled... which frankly is a bit strange to me, because why won't they at least list that on their website?  Their facebook page has multiple people asking when 2013 dates are coming out.  And the best part... I see TV ads on a regular basis at my gym for the SheRox series (I think my gym partnered with SheRox, I see these ads multiple times each time I go)... they probably shouldn't be advertising for a series that's been cancelled....

No kidding - that's strange. Why would you pay for advertising? Hope you find another race!

2012-12-27 2:13 PM
in reply to: #4550251

User image

Expert
MI

It's on the same channel as the music videos, so basically the gym's personal tv station.  The type of advertisement it is is one of those featuring a personal story of a girl overcoming challenges and finishing a triathlon (I'm assuming it was specifically SheRox)... or something like that.  And my gym is big on promoting triathlon, as well as personal stories, so I suppose they just are continuing to show it for the personal story of persevering through a lifestyle change, or something like that? Tongue out

2012-12-27 2:30 PM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

NH

Dina, I'll often make smoothies the night before so I can have some energy during the day and eat quickly or at my desk.  The ingredients are up to you, but I've tried everything including tons of different vegetables.

If you're eating breakfast at 6 and are hungry again at 7:45, I wonder if you're simply not getting enough calories at 6, or not enough fat and protein?  Usually breakfast is the one meal it's ok to load up on carbs due to not having eaten for so long, but in general carbs can leave you wanting more food sooner.

2012-12-27 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4549711

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
strikyr - 2012-12-27 10:49 AM
DirkP - 2012-12-27 8:37 AM
strikyr - 2012-12-26 7:16 PMstrikyr - 2012-12-26 11:12 AM

Jen glad to see you got your workout in. I did in fact swim this afternoon even though I was not very motivated to do so and it was not long or my best session but I got it in there. I also got my bike workout in as well. I will say that this workout was especially tough tonight. I knew I was a little tired going into it but man those 4x10's are HARD! I was in a world of hurt when I finished tonight. At least I am making progress however progress can be very painful.

4x10's? You ain't seen nothin yet! There are some 18' intervals to throw in there late in the program that will make you feel like you are going to fall off the bike.

Dirk thanks for totally crushing my morale and me having false hope in that I will finish the program LOL! I should thank you for warning me about the 18's and I can't say I am looking forward to it however if I do finish I think I will have to thank Jorge. The program is not easy but I have no doubt it is going to make me a stronger cyclist this season.

I know where to turn when I am looking for bike WO/training plan. My biking had definitely not been maintained over the past couple of months and I just started biking in early 2012. Up till then I had done some easy mountain biking on trails and stuff, but no road cycling.  

Edited by jenbmosley 2012-12-27 3:03 PM

2012-12-27 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4550149

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Dina-

My eating habits are by no means perfect. But, I can relate to your dilemma as your mornings look a little similar to mine a few days a week. I have gotten quite tired of peanut butter on wheat waffles and granola bars myself. One thing I do is prep protein drinks on Sunday night and then again on Wednesday night. I invested in 6 shaker cups (small GNC ones). I mix the protein mix with coconut milk/banana/and fruit. Making 6 shakes at one time means you only wash the blender once and have shakes for the whole week. I use different fruit in the concoctions to keep it interesting and use vanilla extract or coconut extract to give some extra flavor.

Once a month or so I make breakfast burritos in advance as well - whole wheat tortilla, egg, and I cut up a Veggie Burger and throw a little cheese and salsa in there. If you have a microwave around this is super easy to make in advance.

2012-12-27 3:40 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

I did my first strength training workout in over 6 months today. The last one was in early June. I stopped because I was just getting started in triathlon this past season and it just became too much so I wound up dropping it to focus on S/B/R. I would like to stick with it since I feel I am more acclimated to S/B/R and I think I can manage my energy and time enough to do it plus I really miss not doing. I probably won't have set days but as of now I am thinking 3 days a week probably (Tue, Thu and Sun) where I would be able to fit it in by doing 40-45 minute sessions. Sound reasonable?

Now the question for the weight lifters out there. I noticed a pretty significant drop off in what I was able to do, should that be expected after the 6 month layoff? I would expect some but I was a little surprised at how much resistance I had to back off to on all of the exercises. I have a Bowflex so it's resistence.

The other thing is if I am at it consistenly working out for 3 days a week how soon can expect to gain that back? I sort of expected the drop off not doubt and I am not expecting to get back to where I was because before I started triathlon training I was working out as much as 6 times a week. I am thinking I could make some gains fairly quickly but not sure because I haven't had a layoff like this since I started 4 years ago. Thoughts?

2012-12-27 3:56 PM
in reply to: #4550440

User image

Expert
MI

I'm trying to get in weights at least twice a week.  Or the other thing I tell myself is at the least do a few exercises each of upper body, lower body, and core when I am at the gym (which is often since I ride the stationary and run on the treadmill there).  It seems more manageable for me to think about forcing myself to do just a few exercises... and then I start a couple and I end up wanting to do more.  The point more being just at least getting in the habit of getting myself to doing weights.

Definitely I think it's expected that you won't be able to continue where you left off.  The other thing is, your muscles may also be more tired from the sbr you're doing nowadays, especially with the lower body and the strong bike workouts you're doing.

2012-12-27 6:09 PM
in reply to: #4550440

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
strikyr - 2012-12-27 4:40 PM

I did my first strength training workout in over 6 months today. The last one was in early June. I stopped because I was just getting started in triathlon this past season and it just became too much so I wound up dropping it to focus on S/B/R. I would like to stick with it since I feel I am more acclimated to S/B/R and I think I can manage my energy and time enough to do it plus I really miss not doing. I probably won't have set days but as of now I am thinking 3 days a week probably (Tue, Thu and Sun) where I would be able to fit it in by doing 40-45 minute sessions. Sound reasonable?

Now the question for the weight lifters out there. I noticed a pretty significant drop off in what I was able to do, should that be expected after the 6 month layoff? I would expect some but I was a little surprised at how much resistance I had to back off to on all of the exercises. I have a Bowflex so it's resistence.

The other thing is if I am at it consistenly working out for 3 days a week how soon can expect to gain that back? I sort of expected the drop off not doubt and I am not expecting to get back to where I was because before I started triathlon training I was working out as much as 6 times a week. I am thinking I could make some gains fairly quickly but not sure because I haven't had a layoff like this since I started 4 years ago. Thoughts?

Tony-This is an excellent question for Karl. I know he is away for a few day, but if I were you I would also send him an e-mail. He is a gym rat with lots of years of experience.As a woman, my body chemistry is different and gaining mass back is way harder and sometimes not a primary goal. But, I was able to maintain weight lifting 2-3 times a week for 3 weeks out of each month throughout last season. I like to do upper body workouts the day after a long run, or on the same day of a short swim. Legs are another story. There never seems to be a great day to work legs, and they seem to lose strength as I focus on all the endurance building. Keeping my legs strong is a constant battle. I am curious to see what advice others offer on this topic as I am always interested in trying to balance s/b/r and staying strong.
2012-12-27 6:13 PM
in reply to: #4550464

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
michgirlsk - 2012-12-27 4:56 PM

I'm trying to get in weights at least twice a week.  Or the other thing I tell myself is at the least do a few exercises each of upper body, lower body, and core when I am at the gym (which is often since I ride the stationary and run on the treadmill there).  It seems more manageable for me to think about forcing myself to do just a few exercises... and then I start a couple and I end up wanting to do more.  The point more being just at least getting in the habit of getting myself to doing weights.

Definitely I think it's expected that you won't be able to continue where you left off.  The other thing is, your muscles may also be more tired from the sbr you're doing nowadays, especially with the lower body and the strong bike workouts you're doing.

Samantha I agree, my focus is more on upper body so I have broken down my sessions to be chest/tri/abs, arms/back/abs and shoulders/back/abs. I am trying to do exercises which will give me the most bang for the buck since time and energy will be at a premium. I think it would help my overall fitness and for S/B/R so I am going to try and stick with it even if I have to back off to two days a week.

2012-12-27 6:21 PM
in reply to: #4550612

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
jenbmosley - 2012-12-27 7:09 PM
strikyr - 2012-12-27 4:40 PM

Tony-This is an excellent question for Karl. I know he is away for a few day, but if I were you I would also send him an e-mail. He is a gym rat with lots of years of experience.As a woman, my body chemistry is different and gaining mass back is way harder and sometimes not a primary goal. But, I was able to maintain weight lifting 2-3 times a week for 3 weeks out of each month throughout last season. I like to do upper body workouts the day after a long run, or on the same day of a short swim. Legs are another story. There never seems to be a great day to work legs, and they seem to lose strength as I focus on all the endurance building. Keeping my legs strong is a constant battle. I am curious to see what advice others offer on this topic as I am always interested in trying to balance s/b/r and staying strong.

Jen thanks and that was what I was thinking as well. I think Dirk, Jeff and Karl would be the guys to weigh in on this. I tried to stick with it this past season but because I was training for the HIM I just didn't have the energy so I had to focus on S/B/R. For this season I think I'm better acclimated so I am hoping to stay with it. It's good to see that you were able to stick with it last season. I agree with you on the leg exercises I gave up on long ago but I know there are benefits to doing them. 

2012-12-27 6:32 PM
in reply to: #4550334

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
jenbmosley - 2012-12-27 3:47 PM

Jen glad to see you got your workout in. I did in fact swim this afternoon even though I was not very motivated to do so and it was not long or my best session but I got it in there. I also got my bike workout in as well. I will say that this workout was especially tough tonight. I knew I was a little tired going into it but man those 4x10's are HARD! I was in a world of hurt when I finished tonight. At least I am making progress however progress can be very painful.

4x10's? You ain't seen nothin yet! There are some 18' intervals to throw in there late in the program that will make you feel like you are going to fall off the bike.

Dirk thanks for totally crushing my morale and me having false hope in that I will finish the program LOL! I should thank you for warning me about the 18's and I can't say I am looking forward to it however if I do finish I think I will have to thank Jorge. The program is not easy but I have no doubt it is going to make me a stronger cyclist this season.

I know where to turn when I am looking for bike WO/training plan. My biking had definitely not been maintained over the past couple of months and I just started biking in early 2012. Up till then I had done some easy mountain biking on trails and stuff, but no road cycling.  

18' intervals there's something wrong with that concept! I remember how the 4x10's kicked your butt, but I don't remember the 18' ones, probably passed out in the middle of it all.

I can't wait to start the bike plan in a few weeks, going to be a good time!
2012-12-27 6:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Not sure if anyone is interested but this was passed on to me and I thought I would share it. It is a software program that reads the ant+ equipment such as Heart rate and cadence sensor. Appears to be in the very early stages of development but from the short tests I have done, it appears to work well.

http://www.peripedal.com/

you can download a free beta version which is a bonus,
2012-12-27 6:41 PM
in reply to: #4550641

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
mambos - 2012-12-27 7:32 PM
jenbmosley - 2012-12-27 3:47 PM

18' intervals there's something wrong with that concept! I remember how the 4x10's kicked your butt, but I don't remember the 18' ones, probably passed out in the middle of it all. I can't wait to start the bike plan in a few weeks, going to be a good time!

Matt I hear you 4X10's were tough enough. Now I am starting to wonder if Dirk is just trying to scare us and is just making this stuff up.

2012-12-27 7:58 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Oh my goodness!  There's no hope of me catching up with the chatter around here!

This morning, I did a straight 2200 yard swim (plus warm up and cool down).  I didn't push the pace.  I just swam nice and easy.  It felt good to do it and know that I could have kept going.  This afternoon, I did a hilly, hour run on my road.  It was fun!

I know you guys were all talking about goals for this season a few pages back.  I've already registered for HITS Napa Olympic in April.  I plan on making a couple of trips down there between now and then to ride the course.  A friend of mine is doing Vineman 70.3 so she is eager to get down there, too.  In June, I plan on doing the Pacific Crest Long Course Tri (half iron distance) in Oregon.  The elevation is going to kick my butt but I'm pretty good at dealing with it.

Those are the only two BIG races I'm planning for now.  In May, my husband, munchkin and I are going to go to the Road Runners Club of America convention in Albuquerque.  I'm really excited about it since I used to live in New Mexico!  They have a 10K that one of us will run.

As for my training for early 2013, I'm going to focus on sheer volume on the bike.  I'm not going to do much intense stuff.  Time-in-the-saddle. Laughing  My running is going to stay pretty steady, too.  Currently, my long run is at 10 miles.  I'd like to work it up to 15 miles.  I'll be hitting the swimming pretty hard.  I feel like I'm such a horrible swimmer that I need to do as much as possible so my confidence will be higher.  I know I can blast everyone on the bike so if I can get out of the water feeling calm, cool and collected, I should be golden for the rest of my race.

I guess this year will be all about the swim.

Oh, I'll also do my usual bike time trials in early March and late October.  The only record to beat now is my own time!  I'm anxious to see what I can do this year (weather dependent).

OK. Enough for me.  If you guys have any input for me, hit me with it.  I want to hear some good stuff.

2012-12-27 8:36 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Tracy we already know how good you are on the bike and the run. We also know that you are a good swimmer even if you don't believe that. If you are really focusing on your swimming then I think you're probably setting yourself up to do very well in your Oly and HIM. What are your goals for those races? Are you looking to PR those or do you think you have a chance to win your AG and podium those races? I think you could do that no doubt.

2012-12-27 8:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
One of my sisters and I went with Margie to the Dr yesterday I never realized how much information they give you 2 1/2 hrs worth and now all the decisions she will have to make. I guess I just assumed the Dr would give her recommendation but that isn't the case. The Dr said it is the most common type, I thought to myself common? to who? I get that the dr sees it all the time and thinks by saying that somehow it should make my sister feel better.no also thought it was funny they didn't once talk about nutrition. I will bring it up next time.
She will definetly be having surgery it is just a matter of what Margie decided to do. They have to do an MRI before a surgery date is set.

I got a good bike and another workout with the trainer in yesterday, so I am a bit sore but I ran today and did ok, although I think there is something wrong with my HR monitor, it gets to whatever HR and just stays there then when I plug it into the computer it puts in what Iam assuming are the correct numbers it did this on my bike ride yesterday too.

Dina, do you eat just 1egg? If so I am thinking you are not eatting enough.
2012-12-27 8:52 PM
in reply to: #4550793

User image

Bronze member

Jo63 - 2012-12-27 8:36 PM One of my sisters and I went with Margie to the Dr yesterday I never realized how much information they give you 2 1/2 hrs worth and now all the decisions she will have to make. I guess I just assumed the Dr would give her recommendation but that isn't the case. The Dr said it is the most common type, I thought to myself common? to who? I get that the dr sees it all the time and thinks by saying that somehow it should make my sister feel better.no also thought it was funny they didn't once talk about nutrition. I will bring it up next time. She will definetly be having surgery it is just a matter of what Margie decided to do. They have to do an MRI before a surgery date is set. I got a good bike and another workout with the trainer in yesterday, so I am a bit sore but I ran today and did ok, although I think there is something wrong with my HR monitor, it gets to whatever HR and just stays there then when I plug it into the computer it puts in what Iam assuming are the correct numbers it did this on my bike ride yesterday too. Dina, do you eat just 1egg? If so I am thinking you are not eatting enough.

Thanks for the update about your sister. I was wondering how things were going.

Yes, just one egg and the toast is not substantial. Just 35 calories a slice or something. I'll try eating a little more before I go to the Y next time and see what happens.

And maybe I'll blow the dust off of my blender and try a smoothie......

2012-12-27 8:54 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

Oh wow....I have been so busy this week that I haven't had any time to catch-up with all the posts. My goals for the upcoming season:

1. Lose 25lbs

2. Race an Oly in under 3:20

3. Run a HM in 2:45 or under

4. Race a HIM in 7:45 or under

5. Quit wrecking my car. I had another auto accident tonight. Cry

2012-12-27 9:20 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

JoAnne thanks for the update on your sister. Sounds like she has a lot to consider and I hope things go well for her.

Trina sorry to hear about your car I hope it wasn't anything serious and that you are alright.

2012-12-27 9:24 PM

User image

Expert
MI
Jo, I hope everything goes as well as it can for your sister
2012-12-27 9:34 PM
in reply to: #4550863

User image

Expert
MI
Okay, I really cringe to type this out because it emotionally pains me (I'm kidding... kind of...) but I officially have an issue with my elbow which will affect my swim volume.  I don't understand, but it's getting worse!  I know it initially was caused by the swim because I felt it now and then with a stroke here and there, and when I would be conscious of my stroke and keep my arm a certain way I didn't feel the elbow.  Last time I swam was Saturday.  Today, it is the worst it's ever been.  I think I made it worse with my self-treatment.  It literally is at the point of severe discomfort now, approaching pain.  And I can feel it with each letter I type, assuming because I'm using the extensors/flexors of the forearm or something. (I should know anatomy better than I do.)  I type a lot during the day, so I wonder if this has something to do with it getting worse. (Hey maybe it's not just from my poor self-treatment!)  And from googling, this is precisely what I think happened: "Swimmers who try to pick up speed by powering their arm through the water can also strain the flexor tendon at the elbow."  Oh, and Warren, from further googling, I think it's golfer's elbow I have, not tennis elbow which I mentioned to you.  Either way, elbow irritation! Undecided This seriously upsets me...
2012-12-27 9:36 PM
in reply to: #4550823

User image

Expert
MI
Dina fwiw I generally eat at least 500-600 calories for my breakfast, especially if I feel I'm going to get hungry later if I don't eat enough.
2012-12-28 1:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Jo63 - 2012-12-27 9:36 PMOne of my sisters and I went with Margie to the Dr yesterday I never realized how much information they give you 2 1/2 hrs worth and now all the decisions she will have to make. I guess I just assumed the Dr would give her recommendation but that isn't the case. The Dr said it is the most common type, I thought to myself common? to who? I get that the dr sees it all the time and thinks by saying that somehow it should make my sister feel better.no also thought it was funny they didn't once talk about nutrition. I will bring it up next time.She will definetly be having surgery it is just a matter of what Margie decided to do. They have to do an MRI before a surgery date is set.I got a good bike and another workout with the trainer in yesterday, so I am a bit sore but I ran today and did ok, although I think there is something wrong with my HR monitor, it gets to whatever HR and just stays there then when I plug it into the computer it puts in what Iam assuming are the correct numbers it did this on my bike ride yesterday too. Dina, do you eat just 1egg? If so I am thinking you are not eatting enough.
Joanne- Thanks for sharing the update. Do you know what stage she is in? I will continue to pray for Margie.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119