BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors - Re-Opened Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-02-23 7:03 AM
in reply to: #4553821

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors - CLOSED

About to head out on the long drive to Hyannis MA ... marathon tomorrow and the weather they are calling for sounds "frightful" hopefully the race goes off so I can notch this 26.2 ... will be back Monday guys have a great weekend!

Got this from the race director ...

Hola Hyannis Runnahs:

I have had a conference with the Barnstable Police Department this morning and we have decided to hold off until 4:00pm on Saturday to make a decision. The Snow on the Cape is expected to be light with rain but there is a possibility of very high winds - as high as 50 miles per hour and this would be my reason for canceling the event.

So please be on the look out for an email just after 4:00pm tomorrow and a post on the website and facebook page SOON THEREAFTER.

The Hanlon Shoe 5Km Fun Run is on for tonight with Boston Marathon Winners Bill Rodgers & Greg Meyers and then pizza and refreshments @ Palio Pizzeria as is the Race Expo tomorrow with The Hoyts, Bill Rodgers & Greg Meyers and where you can get some great deals with our vendors as well as pick up your tee and bib (yes you can pick up for others).

You need to wait for the email or postings on Facebook and the website. I can not return everyones personal email as much as I would like to (and have been:>...I have to continue setting up for the event as a go as of this email.

I understand some of you are traveling but this is a winter event and these kind of wintry projections do happen often in February in the Northeast and this is not the first time we have had these kind of wintry projections for Hyannis over my past 13 years as event director as many of you know:> You need to use your own best judgement for you this weekend.

Many have trained very hard for the marathon as a qualifier for the Boston Marathon or either race as a personal favorite-we take this very seriously.

Cheers
Paulie

2013-02-23 12:59 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors - CLOSED

Cool Morning 40 degrees, I know not like what you are dealing with Paul, Anyway had a good ride and run. 

Lap Data
LapTimeDistancePace/SpeedAHRMHR
110m 00s3.05 miles18.33 mph141170
203m 00s1.23 miles24.68 mph159165
302m 00s0.65 miles19.41 mph163167
401m 00s0.38 miles22.69 mph165168
505m 00s1.51 miles18.07 mph142165
619m 00s6.00 miles18.95 mph151164
710m 00s2.96 miles17.73 mph141151

29m 52s4.00 miles07m 28s/Mi 
Min HR: 79
Avg HR: 151
Max HR: 166
2013-02-23 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4634069

User image

Regular
BigPaulD - 2013-02-23 7:03 AM

About to head out on the long drive to Hyannis MA ... marathon tomorrow and the weather they are calling for sounds "frightful" hopefully the race goes off so I can notch this 26.2 ... will be back Monday guys have a great weekend!

Got this from the race director ...

Hola Hyannis Runnahs:

I have had a conference with the Barnstable Police Department this morning and we have decided to hold off until 4:00pm on Saturday to make a decision. The Snow on the Cape is expected to be light with rain but there is a possibility of very high winds - as high as 50 miles per hour and this would be my reason for canceling the event.

So please be on the look out for an email just after 4:00pm tomorrow and a post on the website and facebook page SOON THEREAFTER.

The Hanlon Shoe 5Km Fun Run is on for tonight with Boston Marathon Winners Bill Rodgers & Greg Meyers and then pizza and refreshments @ Palio Pizzeria as is the Race Expo tomorrow with The Hoyts, Bill Rodgers & Greg Meyers and where you can get some great deals with our vendors as well as pick up your tee and bib (yes you can pick up for others).

You need to wait for the email or postings on Facebook and the website. I can not return everyones personal email as much as I would like to (and have been:>...I have to continue setting up for the event as a go as of this email.

I understand some of you are traveling but this is a winter event and these kind of wintry projections do happen often in February in the Northeast and this is not the first time we have had these kind of wintry projections for Hyannis over my past 13 years as event director as many of you know:> You need to use your own best judgement for you this weekend.

Many have trained very hard for the marathon as a qualifier for the Boston Marathon or either race as a personal favorite-we take this very seriously.

Cheers
Paulie

Paul, I know you've trained hard for this one, and I know you want to do it, and if memory serves me correct you have never done a marathon,  My advice is to let this one go and wait for the next one.  I know that's tough to do, but I've done a couple of marathons in bad weather, and frankly they are no fun.  One of them was 50mph winds and 80 degrees,  I stopped at the half marathon point.  My goal was to qualify for Boston and I was way to far behind at that point.  It was a double out and back and thinking of running into the wind again for the last 6 1/2 miles was way to hard.  The other one the temperature dropped from 50 to 40 during the race and rained the last half of the marathon, I finished, but more out of pride than anything.  Not a PR, actually got hypo thermia at about mile 20, had to stop and change clothes and find a jacket.  Thank God I got a great wife who supports me during my runs.  Thinking of that and the weather conditions, I would make sure you have a couple of changes of clothes during the race.  Just my recommendation.  You want your first one to be a fun event and not a nightmare.  
2013-02-24 2:57 PM

User image

Regular

Had a good Sunday afternoon ride, about 70 degrees here, with 18 mph winds.  May have been the fastest 12.4 mile ride I've done.  Very pleased, especially with the winds.

Lap Data
LapTimeDistancePace/SpeedAHRMHR
102m 37s1.00 miles22.93 mph4165
202m 59s1.00 miles20.11 mph149156
303m 00s1.00 miles20.00 mph153156
402m 31s1.00 miles23.84 mph156157
502m 41s1.00 miles22.36 mph155158
602m 55s1.00 miles20.57 mph157159
702m 49s1.00 miles21.30 mph156161
802m 27s1.00 miles24.49 mph156164
903m 03s1.00 miles19.67 mph157160
1003m 00s1.00 miles20.00 mph153159
1102m 28s1.00 miles24.32 mph158160
1202m 46s1.00 miles21.69 mph157163
1301m 12s0.40 miles20.12 mph159160

2013-02-24 3:25 PM
in reply to: #4635009

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Another solid, if unspectacular week for me. 2nd week in a row, and 3 out of the last 4,  above 8 hours training. So I think that I can safely say that I'm back into the swing of things now after the post HIM break. 

For this coming week my goals are to step up the training slightly, hopping for around 9 hours, and to focus more on my diet. I've logged everything last week, but I need to focus more on the quality, and make sure that I'm hitting my target more often. The weekend was not good... 

So what happened with your marathon paul? Hope it went well. 

2013-02-24 5:36 PM
in reply to: #4635031

User image

Regular
bulfrog - 2013-02-24 3:25 PM

Another solid, if unspectacular week for me. 2nd week in a row, and 3 out of the last 4,  above 8 hours training. So I think that I can safely say that I'm back into the swing of things now after the post HIM break. 

For this coming week my goals are to step up the training slightly, hopping for around 9 hours, and to focus more on my diet. I've logged everything last week, but I need to focus more on the quality, and make sure that I'm hitting my target more often. The weekend was not good... 

So what happened with your marathon paul? Hope it went well. 

Keep up the good work Bull Frog

2013-02-25 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
You're an inspiration!

Paul - did the race happen?

I've been getting some more little workouts in. Just getting this body used to the gym again. Went Saturday - really didn't want to, feeling emotionally . Started working out - still not into it, at end - no, still not happy to have done it. Then as I was getting into my car I thought, gee feeling kinda good. Yea!

NOW I am a triathlete having bought the magazine the other day. Inspiring. They had a piece of exercises to improve the swim - seen them before, but hadn't tried them. Really hard, but guess that's why they are supposed to work. Two fun ones:
1. Plank on db, lift the right weight like a row, then shift to other arm.
2. medicine ball push up shifting ball between arms (even on my knees I could only do 8)

Still not structured. Just getting ready to start training plan at end of March.

Mitzi
2013-02-25 10:41 AM

New user

Roanoke, TX

I had steady improvements with my training last week too. I went to a masters swim lesson for beginners that was helpful. I have changed my schedule so that I will swim on M W F, really trying to get 3 swims in a week. I have not managed to do it yet, but I am pretty determined that this will be my first week to accomplish it.  I did get 3 runs in and 4 bike workouts. On Saturday I went on a long bike ride followed by a run. I had planned on riding 20 miles but had to cut it off a little short at 15 miles, not because of fatigue, but due to my rear end hurting so bad. I thought the more time I spent in the saddle I would eventually get used to it. But now I have concluded that my butt and current saddle are not compatible.  I purchased a new Selle Italia SLR T1 Gel Saddle and I am hoping the extra gel will make for a more comfortable ride.

Last night I baked 5 fish fillets. The fish along with microwave steamable vegetables will be my lunches for the week. It all about eliminating the excuses. Last week, I caved in and went in ate chicken wings when I was asked at work to go out for lunch. Its not going to happen this week.

-matt

2013-02-26 1:16 PM

User image

Veteran

Came back yesterday - worked today ...

My legs are sore heck, knees are back to normal, hips somewhat sore.

The marathon was brutal - if you want to check out how it went I wrote a race recap.

Plan to swim Wednesday and spend some time on the forums catching up - going to lay on the couch now and keep my feet up (as long as my kids will allow me) ... can't say I am ecstatic about my time but I am overjoyed that I crossed that line.

Hyannis Marathon Recap    

2013-02-26 3:52 PM
in reply to: #4637720

User image

Regular
BigPaulD - 2013-02-26 1:16 PM

Came back yesterday - worked today ...

My legs are sore heck, knees are back to normal, hips somewhat sore.

The marathon was brutal - if you want to check out how it went I wrote a race recap.

Plan to swim Wednesday and spend some time on the forums catching up - going to lay on the couch now and keep my feet up (as long as my kids will allow me) ... can't say I am ecstatic about my time but I am overjoyed that I crossed that line.

Hyannis Marathon Recap    

Paul, Read your recap, Wow very impressive run.  I don't think you really understand how hard you had it.  I know we get so focused on a time and we are goal driven and get mad we didn't reach our goals.  But I gotta tell you, that is an impressive performance.  If I had to do it all over again on my first one and what I tell everyone else is finishing is the goal.  Of course I was told this before I ran my first one and didn't listen.  You really have to respect the distance and you don't understand that until you do one.  So I say a job well done, especially in those conditions.  You should be very proud.
2013-02-26 6:00 PM
in reply to: #4635945

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
mtravis - 2013-02-25 11:41 AM

I had steady improvements with my training last week too. I went to a masters swim lesson for beginners that was helpful. I have changed my schedule so that I will swim on M W F, really trying to get 3 swims in a week. I have not managed to do it yet, but I am pretty determined that this will be my first week to accomplish it.  I did get 3 runs in and 4 bike workouts. On Saturday I went on a long bike ride followed by a run. I had planned on riding 20 miles but had to cut it off a little short at 15 miles, not because of fatigue, but due to my rear end hurting so bad. I thought the more time I spent in the saddle I would eventually get used to it. But now I have concluded that my butt and current saddle are not compatible.  I purchased a new Selle Italia SLR T1 Gel Saddle and I am hoping the extra gel will make for a more comfortable ride.

Last night I baked 5 fish fillets. The fish along with microwave steamable vegetables will be my lunches for the week. It all about eliminating the excuses. Last week, I caved in and went in ate chicken wings when I was asked at work to go out for lunch. Its not going to happen this week.

-matt

Sounds great.

2013-02-26 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
I wish I knew how to get my mojo back. Last year, I got my nutrition together. In January, I was incredibly motivated in the gym. Now, everything has gone to hell in a hand basket this month. Almost no training and my nutrition is horrible. I am trying to not let what is going on with my mom as an excuse, but I am failing.So tomorrow I am back at it. I want to keep my swim consistent because after three years, I finally feel that I made my huge breakthrough and I don't want to lose it. I think if I can continue spin classes, the bike will get better, too. I got my gait analysis back today and was pretty pleased with the results. Mt core strength is good and I've got the right shoes and orthotics. What I need to work on is lengthening my stride when I'm running. I'll be working on flexibility exercises over the coming weeks to help with that. My physical therapist is a triathlete so she understands my goals. For the nutrition part I'm going to start logging my foods [shudder].
2013-02-26 10:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Kim,
Every meal is an opportunity to make better decisions. Three years from now when you are in shape the false starts will be forgotten. Having injuries and pain is not inspiring.

Paul,
Cut yourself some slack! You showed up when many didn't. You ran in awful conditions without fancy clothes - just you and the elements. Give yourself some praise for doing it, completing it and doing so in good time.

I'm noticing a pattern that I am doing more strength workouts than cardio - have got to change my mindset and switch it up.

Mitzi
2013-02-27 10:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Felt bad when I couldn't get to the gym today.Finally made it. did the stationary bike and it felt so good I didn't want to quit. Did 75 mins (not counting WU and CD).
People on either side of me were at higher levels and pedaling almost as fast as me but not sweating nearly as much. Level 7-9 and lotsw of 90 rpms with some 100 - 102 rpm for three-five minutes
I'll be paying for this tomorrow.
2013-03-01 1:58 PM

User image

Veteran

Had some issues the last few days - not fitness related ...

My kitchen ceiling changed color and then started dripping - seems the radiator in our upstairs bathroom had a crack at a connection in the floor (my house was built in 1927) ... so to fix it they had to open up the ceiling - figures this happens less than a year AFTER we redid our kitchen ... ugh.

Got a nice swim in today and a bike ride yesterday.  Finally got around to uploading my February workouts but for some reason it does not include any of my weight work ... weird - will try to figure that out.  Going to make some calls now for a drywall guy because I am just inept with that type of thing.   

2013-03-02 7:34 AM
in reply to: #4642437

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
So where is everyone?
Still not wanting to workout but went to the gym yesterday and ran two miles at 12min/mile (with two breaks totaling 1.5 mins).
Not great, but really first run in years.
When the sweat is pouring, and the pain is coming - that's when I don't want to quit. Think my love if this is coming back.

Four weeks till my training program begins - want to be able to complete the workouts when it begins. It says run for 30 mins - I'll be able to run for 30 mins!

Mitzi

2013-03-02 1:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
http://www.nauticamalibutri.com/video.cfm
Funny.
Looking for tri coverage on TV and found this.
2013-03-03 5:53 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

I have had a busy few weeks, both through work (today is day 16 in a row without a day) and family, it's been my Aunts 60th this weekend, so family from out of town have been staying, resulting in several BBQ's, and too much good food and drink at times. 

I've tried to keep on top of things as far as diet, and workouts go. But if I'm honest, haven't hit my targets. 

Despite all that, I was able to manage a solid week of 8 hours training, less than I was aiming at, but still acceptable given the circumstances. Over all, 2:10 running, 5:10 on the bike, and 40min swimming.

This week I have a sprint tri penciled in for Sunday, so depending on how I'm feeling latter in the week I'll give that a go. I'm only interested if I feel I can set a PR. Which I should, if I get over the tiredness.  

So this week will be a bit of a cut back week, which after 3 weeks of 8 hours plus I need. And all going well, on Wednesday or Thursday I'll be nice and rested again, and amping up to go do my 2nd tri of the year!

Great work on your marathon Paul! that's awesome work getting the job done under those circumstances. 

Keep up the good work everyone! 

2013-03-03 6:01 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Ahhh... almost forgot. 

Had a little bit of a break through swim today. For the first time since last summer, today I was able to swim 100m sets in less than 1:40/100. 

I'm not sure why exactly, I'm not swimming any more than I have been over the last few months. But for whatever reason, I'm happy. Long may it continue. 

2013-03-04 5:08 AM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY

Well I've been SUPER busy lately.. I've been keeping up with my training for the most part though. Sorry I haven't updated here. I've been keeping up with reading on you guys, just havent had time to post.

I've updated my training plan to start my olympic tri training. The sprint program wasnt challenging me and as I looked ahead it wasnt going to get much harder, so I started on my Oly plan. This works out good because now I will be done with my plan the week before my Oly tri. I'm on my fourth week, so it is a recovery week with really reduced training times. This works out perfect because I'm sore from my first race!

Saturday morning after I got off work I went with my wife to do Extreme Rampage! It was FREEZING but it was a blast. 28*F and snow are not ideal conditions for a mud run, but it was still a blast!

Here is my race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=479709

2013-03-04 5:09 AM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Congrats on your Marathon Paul! I can't imagine doing 26.2 miles while freezing and soaking wet...

2013-03-04 5:17 AM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY

Kim, I know you are going through a rough time right now, just try to stick with it. It gets a lot easier to do your workouts once you start seeing good results.

Mitzi, keep up the good work! Four weeks is a long time, you'll be able to do the workouts fine when your training plan starts!

2013-03-04 4:18 PM

New user

Roanoke, TX

I went on a brutal bike/run yesterday in the howling wind. That was the first time I have ridden under those conditions.  I was really feeling it afterwards.

I am looking forward to this weekend. I will compete in my first ever sprint tri. I am about as prepared as you can be for someone who has only been swimming and biking for 8 weeks. Although I am a little discouraged after seeing Bulfrog's 1:40/100m time. Its a 300 meter swim. I did 4 sets of 300m on my last swim workout and had times between 7:10 and 7:20. So it was like a 2:20/100m. I hope I am not the slowest in the pool. Overall I was hoping to finish midpack, we'll see, should be a lot of fun.

2013-03-05 12:21 AM
in reply to: #4646152

User image

MTravis:  Good luck on your Sprint Tri.  Don't worry, you will not be the slowest person on the swim, believe you me.  Just focus on enjoying yourself, completing each segment to the best of your ability and you should be okay.  Adrenaline usually kicks in and more times than not, helps improve your time.

Paul:  Your determination is incredible, through rain, sleet snow, (and still delivering on Saturday).  :-)

It's been a while since I have been here, still been trying to get my routine down straight and everything in place.  I had to take off time to meet other obligations, but believe that I will be able to make adjustments and still train going forward.  I had forgotten how difficult start-up can be, and I hope to never go through this again.

Decided to start officially this week (today), however, continued to do workouts sporadically to work out the remaining kinks in getting my equipment, schedule in order. 

• Tuesday - dug my hybrid bike out of storage, had it serviced
  • Wednesday - Did weight training and spin routine
  • Thursday - Did swim 500yd/750 (1st gym undergoing renovation; 2nd gym got there with only 30 min left to closing)
  • Friday - Did weight training / yoga
  • Saturday - NY Cycling Club bike classification run - 18.3 in Central Park (hybrid bike giving issues took me 2+ hours to get in done, may not be able to join the riding group due to slow speed, believe that slow speed is due to fat tire bike)
  • Sunday - NY Road Runners Road Race - 5K
  • Monday (today) - bike 6mi/15mi; swim 750yds / 750

I am 'hella' slow on all three fronts, and seeing Paul's routine is intimidating and inspiring.  Hate the fact I took off 18 months, did nothing, and lost all the gains I made over the 2-3 years before the sabbatical.  Actually started doubting that I could do the Olympic in July, but I am determined to compete.  Will update my training blog, after I get some sleep. 

Later guys

2013-03-05 4:16 PM
in reply to: #4646152

User image

Veteran

In honor of Mike's first sprint this weekend ...

The Swim Start 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors - Re-Opened Rss Feed  

of 16