BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Iron Aardvark group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-03-15 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4660167

User image

Subject: RE: Iron Aardvark group - Closed

Sal Hontiveros - 2013-03-14 5:13 PM Starting to do more strength training in the gym. Can anyone offer some exercises to help my swim?

Rows, inclined bench press, and shoulder abduction will help with the high catch
Lat pull down will help with the pelvic rotation with swim and generate more power with the stroke
Tricep press will help with power with stroke as well
Squats will help with the fluttering kick- and squats are the best exercise on the planet.
Planks will help generate stability
Heel raises or jumping rope may help with the kicking but since your running and biking heel raises might be over kill

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. If you want more I'll have to use more brain power than I have at the moment.

Bryan

Edit: Using land cables or resistance bands will give you more benefit in the pool that free weights.

Edited by PoleyPower 2013-03-15 1:47 PM

2013-03-15 7:21 PM
in reply to: #4661111

PoleyPower - 2013-03-15 11:42 AM

Sal Hontiveros - 2013-03-14 5:13 PM Starting to do more strength training in the gym. Can anyone offer some exercises to help my swim?

Rows, inclined bench press, and shoulder abduction will help with the high catch
Lat pull down will help with the pelvic rotation with swim and generate more power with the stroke
Tricep press will help with power with stroke as well
Squats will help with the fluttering kick- and squats are the best exercise on the planet.
Planks will help generate stability
Heel raises or jumping rope may help with the kicking but since your running and biking heel raises might be over kill

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. If you want more I'll have to use more brain power than I have at the moment.

Bryan

Edit: Using land cables or resistance bands will give you more benefit in the pool that free weights.

Wow! Thanks a lot. Will have to figure out how to incorporate this into my training.
2013-03-17 7:50 AM
in reply to: #4661936

User image

OMG I hate computers

Edited by PoleyPower 2013-03-17 7:51 AM
2013-03-17 7:50 AM
in reply to: #4662983

User image

PoleyPower - 2013-03-17 8:50 AM

Wow! Thanks a lot. Will have to figure out how to incorporate this into my training.

You are super welcome

2013-03-17 2:13 PM
in reply to: #4559726

User image

Thanks for the strength exercises for swimming! I am also trying to get a bit faster in the water. I'd like to try these out if I can find some time to get to the gym. What types of stretches do you all recommend prior and after working out?? I've noticed that my back has been a bit sore now that my runs and rides are getting longer. Also my Achilles tends to get a bite sore after long workouts. Its not painful but I can feel its a bit tight. I have a foam roller and use that in addition to stretching, but wanted to get some other ideas.
2013-03-18 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4663240

User image

reverend5150 - 2013-03-17 3:13 PM Thanks for the strength exercises for swimming! I am also trying to get a bit faster in the water. I'd like to try these out if I can find some time to get to the gym. What types of stretches do you all recommend prior and after working out?? I've noticed that my back has been a bit sore now that my runs and rides are getting longer. Also my Achilles tends to get a bite sore after long workouts. Its not painful but I can feel its a bit tight. I have a foam roller and use that in addition to stretching, but wanted to get some other ideas.

There are some opposing theories about when to stretch. My belief is that it is best to stretch after exercise when the muscle is warm and more flexible. If you stretch before exercise when muscles are stiff and cold it makes the muscles more prone to small tears in the muscles which can make you more sore. I feel that everyone should do an active warm up (light swimming, walking or light pedaling) before rigorous activity then stretch some afterward.

I wouldn't be surprised if you feel some ache and pains after exercise. As we put our bodies through more stress of increasing our exercises it going to bump and grind beyond our bodies are accustomed too. Soreness is just part of the deal for increasing exercises. What is most important is listening to your body. If you are too sore and have sharp or shooting pain, its a good time to cut back or take a brief break.

When I exercise I only stretch my hamstrings, quads and heel cords. Nothing fancy.

2013-03-18 10:10 AM

User image

Yeah, I don't stretch prior to exercise - I'll do some dynamic warm-up prep work (given to me by my PT for my specific issues) beforehand, and do my stretches after (calves, hip flexors, hamstrings, quads, glutes) followed by any foam rolling/stick stuff. If I'm running I always ice my shins after since I have the shin splint issue.
2013-03-18 7:59 PM
in reply to: #4660167

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
Sal Hontiveros - 2013-03-14 4:13 PMStarting to do more strength training in the gym. Can anyone offer some exercises to help my swim?
I was doing some speed work in the pool tonight and I realized when I was really pulling hard, that my triceps were on fire. I'm not much of a weight lifter, but if I was, with my swim style, I'd probably spend some time doing triceps strength training. This may not be the case for the average swimmer, but for triathletes who try to use more arms and less kick I think I may be onto something... Just sayin
2013-03-20 12:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Ok I have a question and need some feedback.  I am uncertain as to whether or not to do an Olympic two weeks prior to my first half ironman.  Unless I do one at the end of May this would also be my first Olympic.  I have also debated just doing a DU at the event (swim 1500 / bike) a good brick, without the run, which I would do roughly the same distance run the day before or after the event.  I think the DU for sure becuase doing close to the distance in the swim would be good practice and a cofindence builder and then the ride at 24 miles should not really tax me much if at all at that point in my preperation.  Due to the last statement, I think in turn that the run afterwards should not harm me either and that I could always take it really easy then. 

Any and all feedback welcome, and I know that at least a few will say "if your ready for the half, the Olympic should be nothing" just want to make sure I'm at my best for the half, not that I'm going to compete or anything but really want to have a good day and finish with a smile and able to walk around the next day.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-03-20 12:54 PM
2013-03-20 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4667697

User image

Hunting Triathlete - 2013-03-20 1:52 PM

Ok I have a question and need some feedback.  I am uncertain as to whether or not to do an Olympic two weeks prior to my first half ironman.  Unless I do one at the end of May this would also be my first Olympic.  I have also debated just doing a DU at the event (swim 1500 / bike) a good brick, without the run, which I would do roughly the same distance run the day before or after the event.  I think the DU for sure becuase doing close to the distance in the swim would be good practice and a cofindence builder and then the ride at 24 miles should not really tax me much if at all at that point in my preperation.  Due to the last statement, I think in turn that the run afterwards should not harm me either and that I could always take it really easy then. 

Any and all feedback welcome, and I know that at least a few will say "if your ready for the half, the Olympic should be nothing" just want to make sure I'm at my best for the half, not that I'm going to compete or anything but really want to have a good day and finish with a smile and able to walk around the next day.

I am having a similar debate myself - I'm considering a half marathon a month before my first HIM. It would also be my first HM.

I figure my training plan for that day is a 40min swim followed by a 1hr 45min run. I was thinking of scrapping the swim and doing the HM, but also not racing it and using it as a training run (albeit a bit longer, I'm not that fast).

So my advice to you is where I landed on my advice to myself: do what you think is best. My biggest consideration is mostly my shins, and depending how they're doing about a month out I'll decide. If they're alright, I'll register for it.

I'd think you'd be fine doing the race, but perhaps not full out racing it if you think it would be too much. I mean, with my training plan, 2 weeks before the race I've got a 3hr ride/15min brick, next day 40min swim and 1:30 run. More than an Olympic distance would result in.

That's my input anyway
2013-03-20 2:25 PM
in reply to: #4667760

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'd think you'd be fine doing the race, but perhaps not full out racing it if you think it would be too much. I mean, with my training plan, 2 weeks before the race I've got a 3hr ride/15min brick, next day 40min swim and 1:30 run. More than an Olympic distance would result in. That's my input anyway

That was my same thought, I'm scheduled for

5     Fri
S: 1h 17m
6  Sat
R: 1h 17m
7   Sun
B: 2h 35m
Which in reality would be more than the Olympic except over three days instead of one.

2013-03-20 3:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

Ultimately each person will have to decide for themselves how close to their "A" race to do a shorter race.  I personally think 2 weeks is right in the grey area.  1 month out is not even a question, I race once per month all summer leading up to my IM.  I just love the competition and race atmoshphere, so the more I can get of that, the better.  Last summer I did IMKY then took 10 days off completely.  a week later (with very minimal training) I layed down my best ever splits at an olympic.

Again, this is my opinion, not coaching advise..  I would say that 2 weeks out from your first HIM you would be ok to do a Olympic race, but you may only want to go 80-90% and then modify your recovery and your taper leading into the race week for the HIM.

As for the Half marry a month before the HIM, I think you should already be doing that much anyways, so it won't hurt a thing, and then plenty of time to still be ready for your HIM a month later.  Just be extra attentive to "feel" your way through the race, if you start to get a twinge in your chins, give it up an walk.  You don't want to risk an injury a month out.

These are only my opinions, as I said, every one is different in how their body will react to racing.

2013-03-20 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
I don't try to encourage everyone to swim the same way as I do, because it is a bit unorthodox, and if you have a coach they will likely tell you not to swim this way.  But here is a video explaining the difference between pushing and pulling in the water.  If this is the way you swim (like myself) you can see where the tricep strength training could be valid.  Check it out and let me know what you guys think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeHQyqI7zq0
2013-03-20 5:06 PM
in reply to: #4668007

User image

discipleguideservice - 2013-03-20 4:47 PM

As for the Half marry a month before the HIM, I think you should already be doing that much anyways, so it won't hurt a thing, and then plenty of time to still be ready for your HIM a month later.  Just be extra attentive to "feel" your way through the race, if you start to get a twinge in your chins, give it up an walk.  You don't want to risk an injury a month out.

These are only my opinions, as I said, every one is different in how their body will react to racing.

Are you saying I should be running that much NOW or a month out from the HIM? Right now the long run is a little more than an hour (and the farthest I've ever ran!), but yes, by the time I'm a month out from the HIM the runs will be almost at 2hrs, which is why I figured the HM would be alright to do.

I definitely would pay attention to how my shins are doing if I do the HM, as I certainly don't want to get hurt before the HIM! I went snowboarding on Saturday and fell on my arm, which hurt and thankfully wasn't anything worse than having a sore arm/shoulder for several days, but my first thought was "OMG, I better not break my arm, what about my HIM training?!"
2013-03-20 9:59 PM
in reply to: #4668099

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
Sunkissed7 - 2013-03-20 5:06 PM
discipleguideservice - 2013-03-20 4:47 PMAs for the Half marry a month before the HIM, I think you should already be doing that much anyways, so it won't hurt a thing, and then plenty of time to still be ready for your HIM a month later.  Just be extra attentive to "feel" your way through the race, if you start to get a twinge in your chins, give it up an walk.  You don't want to risk an injury a month out.

Are you saying I should be running that much NOW or a month out from the HIM? Right now the long run is a little more than an hour (and the farthest I've ever ran!), but yes, by the time I'm a month out from the HIM the runs will be almost at 2hrs, which is why I figured the HM would be alright to do. I definitely would pay attention to how my shins are doing if I do the HM, as I certainly don't want to get hurt before the HIM! I went snowboarding on Saturday and fell on my arm, which hurt and thankfully wasn't anything worse than having a sore arm/shoulder for several days, but my first thought was "OMG, I better not break my arm, what about my HIM training?!"
I was saying a month out you will be running 2 hours, def not already now. Snowboarding jealousy I have had tendinitis in my right elbow since Christmas, about a month ago we got 8 inches of fresh powder so I decided to hit it, and of course 2nd run I smashed that thing so hard I saw stars. Anyways, if you are following your plan for the HIM you will be more than ready I'm sure.
2013-03-21 7:32 AM

User image

Mad props to all of you doing the IM or HIM. I'm looking at your schedules and I can't imagine doing 2 hour runs or hour long swims and only God know how long of a bike. That sounds exhausting and I want to take a nap reading about it.

I had a friend ask me last week if I would do an IM with him next year which I had been considering. Then looking at you training schedule, I'm frightened and might pass up the opportunity.

But seriously great job to you all.

2013-03-21 5:40 PM
in reply to: #4668334

User image

discipleguideservice - 2013-03-20 10:59 PM

Sunkissed7 - 2013-03-20 5:06 PM
discipleguideservice - 2013-03-20 4:47 PMAs for the Half marry a month before the HIM, I think you should already be doing that much anyways, so it won't hurt a thing, and then plenty of time to still be ready for your HIM a month later.  Just be extra attentive to "feel" your way through the race, if you start to get a twinge in your chins, give it up an walk.  You don't want to risk an injury a month out.

Are you saying I should be running that much NOW or a month out from the HIM? Right now the long run is a little more than an hour (and the farthest I've ever ran!), but yes, by the time I'm a month out from the HIM the runs will be almost at 2hrs, which is why I figured the HM would be alright to do. I definitely would pay attention to how my shins are doing if I do the HM, as I certainly don't want to get hurt before the HIM! I went snowboarding on Saturday and fell on my arm, which hurt and thankfully wasn't anything worse than having a sore arm/shoulder for several days, but my first thought was "OMG, I better not break my arm, what about my HIM training?!"
I was saying a month out you will be running 2 hours, def not already now. Snowboarding jealousy I have had tendinitis in my right elbow since Christmas, about a month ago we got 8 inches of fresh powder so I decided to hit it, and of course 2nd run I smashed that thing so hard I saw stars. Anyways, if you are following your plan for the HIM you will be more than ready I'm sure.

Ah okay, that's what I thought you meant but I wanted to make sure! I figured it would be okay because the HM here falls right during the time of those peak runs (2hrs). I'd be happy to run it - I registered for it a couple years ago but called it quits a few months prior because my shins were just ridiculous and not letting me even train. Gotta love my PT for helping me get through this shin nonsense of mine!

I'm pretty new to snowboarding, I figured it was time to find a reason/sport to help me enjoy the long Buffalo winters
Yikes! There in lies the dangers of snowboarding, that's for sure. Can be easy to hurt yourself.
2013-03-21 5:45 PM
in reply to: #4668530

User image

PoleyPower - 2013-03-21 8:32 AM

Mad props to all of you doing the IM or HIM. I'm looking at your schedules and I can't imagine doing 2 hour runs or hour long swims and only God know how long of a bike. That sounds exhausting and I want to take a nap reading about it.

I had a friend ask me last week if I would do an IM with him next year which I had been considering. Then looking at you training schedule, I'm frightened and might pass up the opportunity.

But seriously great job to you all.

An hour swim sounded torturous to me (ok, I'll admit, even now I'm not a fan), but I started getting in the pool about a month and a half prior to the start of my training plan. It helped me start to build up a bit and I did several hour long swims before the plan started. Mostly it was because I took the time to get to the pool and get all ready for it AND had to dry my hair and everything after, so I figured I'd just log the time. I quickly purchased a waterproof headphone system which helps me immensely.

The runs basically top out around 2hrs (1:50 is actually the longest in my plan, 3 weeks before), though it starts to build up to that about 2 months out from the race. The longest bike is 3:30, also 3 weeks out (man, that weekend is going to be rough). It's time consuming for sure, and makes me wonder how people have the time to train for a full IM! I'm only doing a half!

And after saying all that, yes, I'd like to take a nap now too.
2013-03-21 8:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Got a real scare last night and not sure how bad it will end up being.  Backstory - I have two bulging disks in my lower back (L1 & L2) that came to light about five years ago.  I have had flare ups in the past if I did way to much or did something specific to aggravate it.  In the past when and if I had a problem with it I had some warning, tightness, pain, soreness, that is until last night.

I was woke up last night by a pain in my lower back and moved a little just thinking I slept in a bad position.  I move and the pain basically got worse.  I could feel it becoming more painful and tightening so I went to get out of bed to walk around a bit.  I then found myself on the floor with probably the worse pain I have ever had in my back.  I layed there in pain for approximately 15 minutes before I was able to get up and make it to a hot bath which helped it, along with anti spasm medication (have from prior issues).  I am in shock at how this happened becuase I had no warning, and it worries me if this is going to just start popping up without warning.

It did loosen up a bit during the day and I was able to do a very lite spin this evening.  I know that sounds weird based off the above stated but my doctor has always told me that doing something warms the area and in turn relieves pain and pressure.  I just hate this because it really did worry me and I dont want to miss my 35 mile group ride this weekend.  I'm just going to take it a day at a time and see how it works out.

Poley, in regards to your post, you never know what you can do until you try.  You can do it if you want to and put in the work.  We have never done anything until we have done it.  I have never done a Half IM but believe I can and am working towards it and will find out on July 21 if I can do one.

2013-03-21 8:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
Ironman is no joke, that's for sure. If it was easy it would be called Tin-man instead. It takes dedication and real commitment that's for sure, but ANYONE can do it, if they really want to.
2013-03-21 9:02 PM
in reply to: #4669760

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
Hunting Triathlete - 2013-03-21 8:51 PM

Got a real scare last night and not sure how bad it will end up being.  Backstory - I have two bulging disks in my lower back (L1 & L2) that came to light about five years ago.  I have had flare ups in the past if I did way to much or did something specific to aggravate it.  In the past when and if I had a problem with it I had some warning, tightness, pain, soreness, that is until last night.

I was woke up last night by a pain in my lower back and moved a little just thinking I slept in a bad position.  I move and the pain basically got worse.  I could feel it becoming more painful and tightening so I went to get out of bed to walk around a bit.  I then found myself on the floor with probably the worse pain I have ever had in my back.  I layed there in pain for approximately 15 minutes before I was able to get up and make it to a hot bath which helped it, along with anti spasm medication (have from prior issues).  I am in shock at how this happened becuase I had no warning, and it worries me if this is going to just start popping up without warning.

It did loosen up a bit during the day and I was able to do a very lite spin this evening.  I know that sounds weird based off the above stated but my doctor has always told me that doing something warms the area and in turn relieves pain and pressure.  I just hate this because it really did worry me and I dont want to miss my 35 mile group ride this weekend.  I'm just going to take it a day at a time and see how it works out.

Poley, in regards to your post, you never know what you can do until you try.  You can do it if you want to and put in the work.  We have never done anything until we have done it.  I have never done a Half IM but believe I can and am working towards it and will find out on July 21 if I can do one.

I am fortunate enough to have a doctor as a training partner. But I strongly suggest you call your doctor tomorrow before doing the long ride.

2013-03-21 9:04 PM

User image

My dream would be to do a full IM, but after training for this half I don't know how I'd do it. The time commitment to train is crazy!! I was a bit scared of the HIM training plan but quickly got used to the distances....so far at least. I used to get scared of a 1.5 hour bike ride but now its almost like a rest day after doing a 2 hour +!!
2013-03-22 2:00 AM
in reply to: #4669780

User image

Co Louth, Ireland

reverend5150 - 2013-03-22 3:04 AM My dream would be to do a full IM, but after training for this half I don't know how I'd do it. The time commitment to train is crazy!! I was a bit scared of the HIM training plan but quickly got used to the distances....so far at least. I used to get scared of a 1.5 hour bike ride but now its almost like a rest day after doing a 2 hour +!!

this is exactly how I felt - right after my HIM I said never again but a few months later the bug hit again! If your anything like me you'll want to push yourself that bit further, see how far you can go and start thinking about an IM. It does take time and committment and sacrifices but if you want it enough you won't even notice them and soon it becomes a lifestyle. An understanding family is a huge part of it as they are impacted most of all.

A few yrs ago I had a mental block of getting over 10km - now thats a recovery run! My block at the moment is 4hr bike rides but I know once I do it once I'll wonder what all the worry was about!

I agree with Josh in that I think anyone can do an IM - it just takes a plan (be it 1yr or 3yrs) and the will to do it. As a friend said to me "how do you eat an elephant? - small bites - very small bites" - exact same goes for HIM or IM distance!

2013-03-22 7:21 PM

User image

Question: I have a friend that is really "encouraging" me to do a HIM with him next year, probably in late august/september. Considering I've only really started exercising on January of this year, is next year too soon to commit to a HIM? There is a lot of sites that mention spending 3 years of Olympic or sprints before doing a HIM. What do y'all think?
2013-03-22 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4671044

User image

Hunting, I'm sorry that happened! I hope you went to the doctor.

PoleyPower - 2013-03-22 8:21 PM

Question: I have a friend that is really "encouraging" me to do a HIM with him next year, probably in late august/september. Considering I've only really started exercising on January of this year, is next year too soon to commit to a HIM? There is a lot of sites that mention spending 3 years of Olympic or sprints before doing a HIM. What do y'all think?

You likely don't have to register for that race anytime soon, so it may be something for you to consider. How do you feel about it?
I'm doing a HIM in June and I've never done an Olympic before, just sprints. It's challenging for sure, and does require you to have the endurance to go the distances. But ultimately, that's only a decision you can make for yourself. I think you have enough time to train for it (and do sprints and even an Olympic this year if you wanted), but again, up to you.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Iron Aardvark group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 16