General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2013-07-11 8:45 AM
in reply to: Parkie

Subject: RE: Bib on the Bike?
Swam the lake this morning and you just can't ask for better conditions. Slight NW wind, water temp about 65, just a ripple on the surface and nice clear water.

A bit of advice on your finish. Swim toward shore until you just can't anymore. Water is waist deep about 100 yards from shore and its tempting to get up and walk in but this is slower and more tiring than swimming.

Bib #1594, swim start 7:54, goal finishing time would be anytime before 2:30.

Lets get this party started!!!

2013-07-11 10:30 AM
in reply to: Dangerjim71

User image

New user
Kenosha
Bib # 278, start 7:10 (F50 +).

Glad to hear the water is just about perfect! Gordon_mom and I will be there on Saturday (late morning). STrive is hosting a 7:00 a.m. swim and is asking for $10 donation for lifeguards and contribution to STrive.

Now we can start obsessing about race day weather. ;-)

2013-07-11 10:34 AM
in reply to: cynner

User image

New user
Kenosha
Originally posted by cynner

Bib # 278, start 7:10 (F50 +).

Glad to hear the water is just about perfect! Gordon_mom and I will be there on Saturday (late morning). STrive is hosting a 7:00 a.m. swim and is asking for $10 donation for lifeguards and contribution to STrive.

Now we can start obsessing about race day weather. ;-)

CORRECTION!! - BIB 258! Wow!
2013-07-11 10:50 AM

User image

Germantown
Good to hear that the lake is better... I swam out there last weekend mid day and it was pretty choppy. But I expected that with all of the boating traffic and wind that we had.

Bib #2309... Start time... 8:20 getting to the run just in the heat of the day should be a joy. I'm hoping to see some pros out there (maybe as they are coming in on the bike and im going out). Looks like a pretty great Pro list and Rinny posted on her facebook that she would be racing too.

Taper taper taper!
2013-07-11 11:03 AM

I will be swimming with the strive group on Saturday. Great group of people and an excellent opportunity to swim the course with some support if your worried about it.

Beach gets busy on the weekend so definitely good to swim early. Usually some runners and bikers after the swim too.
2013-07-11 11:08 AM

Also planning to ride the course on Sunday at 9:00 am or at least 50 miles of it. May cut out a few miles in the middle depending on heat and how I feel. Let me know if you want to hook up. Planning on an easy pace 17-18 mph

2013-07-11 11:18 AM

User image

New user
Kenosha
Hi Jim,

Gordon_mom and I are picking up the route at about highway 20 and H (a little west of H by the movie theatre). We'll be starting about 7:30 - 8:00, but only have a 2 hour ride. Unfortunately, we are in zone 2 (which is about 16 mph). We'll definitely be moving slower than you, but will keep an eye out. Our goal is to get to the new section of the route just to see how it flows.

After, we're heading to the lakefront for an 8 mile run, then the swim.

Hopefully, we'll see you out there!!!
Cyndi
2013-07-11 11:25 AM

User image

Bib number 1177 with a 7:40 start. this is my first HIM distance so my goal is to finish! With a stretch goal of 6:15.
To ease the tension a little and laugh at ourselves a little watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KTEgLKhjIw

2013-07-11 11:53 AM
in reply to: rgarcia1501

That's a funny video. This is my first tri but I've already said some of that stuff. God help me. lol
2013-07-11 11:58 AM

Originally posted by cynner

Hi Jim,

Gordon_mom and I are picking up the route at about highway 20 and H (a little west of H by the movie theatre). We'll be starting about 7:30 - 8:00, but only have a 2 hour ride. Unfortunately, we are in zone 2 (which is about 16 mph). We'll definitely be moving slower than you, but will keep an eye out. Our goal is to get to the new section of the route just to see how it flows.

After, we're heading to the lakefront for an 8 mile run, then the swim.

Hopefully, we'll see you out there!!!
Cyndi

There have been a lot of bikes on the course the last couple of weeks. Somebody even marked the route with nice pink arrows, vandals. I would expect to see even more out there this weekend. Maybe I'll see you on your way back in and if not then have a great race.
2013-07-11 12:27 PM
in reply to: etasker

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Originally posted by etasker

Good to hear that the lake is better... I swam out there last weekend mid day and it was pretty choppy. But I expected that with all of the boating traffic and wind that we had.

Bib #2309... Start time... 8:20 getting to the run just in the heat of the day should be a joy. I'm hoping to see some pros out there (maybe as they are coming in on the bike and im going out). Looks like a pretty great Pro list and Rinny posted on her facebook that she would be racing too.

Taper taper taper!

They bumped this race to a P750 instead of a P500 like in past years. So that means the total prize purse is $50,000 ($10,000 to win) instead of $15,000 ($3,000 to win). Plus, more pro points to qualify for 70.3 World Championship (750 points to win instead of 500). So the pros are really coming out for this one more than in the past even though Crowie won't be there.

Greg and Laura Bennett, Mattie Reed, Luke McKenzie, Paul Ambrose, Amanda Stevens. All big names on the BIB list.

2013-07-11 12:57 PM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

User image

Regular
Chicago
Is anyone else sick? I have a head cold and it's driving me crazy! I am fighting this off when I should be RESTING
2013-07-11 6:55 PM
in reply to: doxie

Originally posted by doxie

Is anyone else sick? I have a head cold and it's driving me crazy! I am fighting this off when I should be RESTING

Not sick but I've been having hip pain and got a blister on my heel from my new runners.
2013-07-11 9:40 PM
in reply to: doxie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by doxie

Sinus issues started for me on Saturday, been taken Claratin and Alvert every day since. My thought is better this week than next
2013-07-12 10:10 AM

User image

Originally posted by Dangerjim71

Also planning to ride the course on Sunday at 9:00 am or at least 50 miles of it. May cut out a few miles in the middle depending on heat and how I feel. Let me know if you want to hook up. Planning on an easy pace 17-18 mph

I wouldn't mind doing the ride. Are you going to start at North Beach park? I'm coming up from western suburbs of Chicago, I would probably bring the family and send them to the zoo while I ride.
2013-07-12 11:44 AM

User image

New user

Chicago
I swam on Sunday and the water was crystal clear and not a ripple of anything in the water. It was gorgeous. I wonder how far out they're going to make us swim out because I hit numerous sand bars and had to walk some portions of the swim. I'm getting more and more anxious as the time passes. This will be my first HIM and what an experience it has been training for it! My bib # is 778 and I've got a 7:28 AM swim start.

What can I expect for T1? Will there be wetsuit strippers? How far is the run from the swim exit to transition? I'm really aiming at a sub 3 min T1 time, so, I'm trying to figure out if that will even be possible.

Seriously though, I can't wait for the race! So excited!

2013-07-12 12:24 PM
in reply to: Diesel J

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Originally posted by Diesel J

I swam on Sunday and the water was crystal clear and not a ripple of anything in the water. It was gorgeous. I wonder how far out they're going to make us swim out because I hit numerous sand bars and had to walk some portions of the swim. I'm getting more and more anxious as the time passes. This will be my first HIM and what an experience it has been training for it! My bib # is 778 and I've got a 7:28 AM swim start.

What can I expect for T1? Will there be wetsuit strippers? How far is the run from the swim exit to transition? I'm really aiming at a sub 3 min T1 time, so, I'm trying to figure out if that will even be possible.

Seriously though, I can't wait for the race! So excited!

You swim out quite a ways before you make your right hand turn. It seemed like once we made the turn we were in at least 10 - 15 ft of water the entire way. Then you have about a 100 yd run through sand, which can be tiring. You'll hit pools to jump in and get the sand off your feet, and then wetsuit strippers before you actually get in to T1. Last year's winner did T1 in 2:25. So I guess it's technically possible.
2013-07-12 12:48 PM
in reply to: Diesel J

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL
dumb question - what's a "wetsuit stripper"?

2013-07-12 1:03 PM
in reply to: rdietz

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Originally posted by rdietz

dumb question - what's a "wetsuit stripper"?

It's not as exotic as one would first imagine. Basically it's a person that helps you take your wetsuit off. Just youtube search "Wetsuit stripper" and you'll see a bunch of videos of how it works.
2013-07-12 1:11 PM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL
Seems a little high maintenance to me. I think I'll just stick to lubing up my ankles and take my chances.
2013-07-12 1:20 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
It's actually quite slick. I was hesitant my first time but it makes it so much quicker.

2013-07-12 1:38 PM
in reply to: eazyc10

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL
ok - i watched the video and while I do have to admit that it is definitely quite slick, I think I can get out of my wetsuit faster on my own. Make sure ankles are well lubed. Once I get to my bike my wetsuit is already almost down to my ankles and I just start stepping on the wetsuit and dance out of it while putting on my sunglasses and helmet. By the time my helmet is buckled, my wetsuit is off. The key is the lubed ankles. I forgot one time and it sucked! Must have added at least 30 seconds to T1.

Good luck and may you find yourself a fast stripper!
2013-07-12 1:53 PM

Yes, there is a small parking lot by the North Pier at Barker street. I will be there and ready to roll at 9 am. Let me know if you're coming and I will look for you.
2013-07-12 2:49 PM

User image

Originally posted by rdietz

ok - i watched the video and while I do have to admit that it is definitely quite slick, I think I can get out of my wetsuit faster on my own. Make sure ankles are well lubed. Once I get to my bike my wetsuit is already almost down to my ankles and I just start stepping on the wetsuit and dance out of it while putting on my sunglasses and helmet. By the time my helmet is buckled, my wetsuit is off. The key is the lubed ankles. I forgot one time and it sucked! Must have added at least 30 seconds to T1.

Good luck and may you find yourself a fast stripper!

If someone who had no idea what we were talking about happened to come along this blog and started reading about strippers and lube there might be an influx of new triathletes!
2013-07-14 5:42 PM

Subject: First Tri
Racine will be my first triathlon, not sure what to expect. How does it work on the bike in regards to hydrating? Do the rest stops have big coolers of water/sports drink that you can ride up to and refill your bottles real quickly? I thought I saw volunteers handing out water bottles in a video of an Ironman, does that happen here?

Getting nervous, but I guess it will all be over in a week...
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 15