BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2013-05-20 7:28 AM
in reply to: jlangene

User image

New user
Auburn, AL
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Open
Successfully completed my first brick yesterday! Nothing fancy just a 30 min ride and a 10 min run. The ride went pretty well but I headed out too fast at the start of the run and had to walk a little. I'll (hopefully) know better next time.

2013-05-20 8:25 AM
in reply to: podemma

User image

New user
Holliston
Congrats!

The first few times it can be challenging to find the right pace and even just getting the muscles used to making a change.

As you do more and more bricks, it gets easier.

George
2013-05-20 8:28 AM
in reply to: ockeme3

User image

New user
Holliston
Had a few Ruination beers over the weekend, plus one 10th Anniversary - YUMMY!! :-)

Definitely a great reward and motivator for a hard workout.

George

2013-05-20 8:47 AM

User image

New user
Holliston
Since I am two weeks away from my first Sprint, I am going to not push as hard in my workouts.

Goals for the week:

- Try the wetsuit I was lent to see if it fits and how it feels in the water
- 2x swim sessions: in the pool
- 2x run sessions: one on the road, one on the AlterG machine
- 2x biking sessions: outside (1x on the 15 mile Sprint loop, 1x 25-35 mile ride)
- Stretch and core daily (30 mins)
- 2x Physical therapy

George
2013-05-20 8:52 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by Qua17

Evening All: I had a decent weekend exercise-wise. Yesterday, I went out with a bunch of quys who ride in town and they proceeded to kick my a$$. These guys routinely average 22-25 mph and they left me in the dust. But I was stoked to get back and see that my average speed was the fastest of the season. Today I ignored my sore knee and got in 5K. Hoping for a big week this week.

As promised (a week ago), here is the race report from last week. http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Good race report. Nice finish on the run.
2013-05-20 8:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by jlangene

Good Morning - Until I can figure out how to create a table in a forum post - we will have to post our goals in a different way. Let's try this:When adding your goals - please quote this goal page.

David
1) Continue to do yoga 3x per week
2) Focus on bike speed
3) Record calories

Jared
1) get to the pool 3 times
2) If Dr. says knee is ok get on bike x2 and run x2
3) Survive the Memorial Day Weekend

Alex
1) 3x swims
2) 2x strength sessions
3) 1x run - still easing back into it
4) 3x short rides...very short just enough to stretch out the patellar tendon
5) sign up for my first race

2013-05-20 9:04 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
What a nice solid group we have going here. Looks like everyone has been getting in some great workouts.

How's everyone doing on Thor's monthly challenge? 6/17 here
2013-05-20 1:25 PM

User image

Seattle
2013-05-20 8:04 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Salty - love the nickname I can figure how to reply with the other comments but I loved reading your race report. I need to borrow a little of your toughness. With all you went through to get to the start line - that $50 is gonna taste damn good!
2013-05-20 8:08 PM
in reply to: hoenninger

User image

Expert
Originally posted by hoenninger

Since I am two weeks away from my first Sprint, I am going to not push as hard in my workouts.

Goals for the week:

- 2x biking sessions: outside (1x on the 15 mile Sprint loop, 1x 25-35 mile ride)
- 2x Physical therapy

George

George - Sounds like a good plan. May I suggest that your start thinking of transition. I know this is nuts but 5 minutes each day practicing transition could save you a bunch of time during your race. There are a ton of good articles here on the site to give you some tips to try. Find something that works for you and then practice it at the end of every long workout. Prost!
2013-05-20 8:15 PM

User image

Expert
OK - here's what you need to know... It was a crappy day at work. Then I went to my son's IEP meeting. He's failing math but for some reason they don't think that his executive functioning is getting in the way of accessing the curriculum. Anyway - I came home in a foul mood.

I hopped on my bike and went for a ride. As I processed the day, I could feel the anger in me and I just decided to let lose and see how hard I could push it. I had planned on doing ten but I felt really good and ended up doing 15. And get this - I usually average 13-14 on a quick ride but today I averaged 16.4. I felt like a machine. By the time I came home I was in the best mood - ready to help my kids with their homework.

Thank god for tri.

No beer tonight... boo

2013-05-21 8:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Okie dokie, got my race report up: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Great effort! Love the bike/beer as well!
2013-05-21 8:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

OK - here's what you need to know... It was a crappy day at work. Then I went to my son's IEP meeting. He's failing math but for some reason they don't think that his executive functioning is getting in the way of accessing the curriculum. Anyway - I came home in a foul mood.

I hopped on my bike and went for a ride. As I processed the day, I could feel the anger in me and I just decided to let lose and see how hard I could push it. I had planned on doing ten but I felt really good and ended up doing 15. And get this - I usually average 13-14 on a quick ride but today I averaged 16.4. I felt like a machine. By the time I came home I was in the best mood - ready to help my kids with their homework.

Thank god for tri.

No beer tonight... boo

Nice job David! Let me know when you are biking next and I will think up something to you off!
2013-05-21 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Originally posted by Burd

What a nice solid group we have going here. Looks like everyone has been getting in some great workouts.

You should be a lock for the challenge! Keep it up!
I will be at 7 after lunch today!
2013-05-21 8:35 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Well a busy long weekend done. Was away for my son'slacrosse tournament. Managed to get a bike and a run in between 4 lacrosse games, 1 paintball game with the kids and a bunch of IPA's.
Back on track this week.
Scheduled to take an triathlon officials course this weekend if I can squeeze it in.
Have a great week everyone and stay on track!
2013-05-21 8:48 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

New user
Auburn, AL
Pool Success!
I tried everyone's suggestions out on my last two trips to the pool. Apparently even thought I thought I was swimming slowly I was not. I really focused on slowing down and this helped a lot. The last two trips I have managed around 22mm in the pool where as before I was struggling to make 15. Even though I'm swimming slower I'm swimming further in the same time frame since I don't need to rest as much. Thanks for all the suggestions.

2013-05-21 8:53 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL
Originally posted by Burd

I have 6 down as of last night. 6 more to go.
2013-05-21 9:08 AM
in reply to: podemma

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Great work. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
2013-05-21 2:51 PM

User image

New user
Holliston

Goals for the week:

- 2x Physical therapy

George

George - Sounds like a good plan. May I suggest that your start thinking of transition. I know this is nuts but 5 minutes each day practicing transition could save you a bunch of time during your race. There are a ton of good articles here on the site to give you some tips to try. Find something that works for you and then practice it at the end of every long workout. Prost!

Good point.

I will start thinking about this and figuring out a practice routine.

George
2013-05-21 4:46 PM
in reply to: hoenninger

User image

Seattle

I'm planning on doing the beer mile in a few weeks, for those of you that don't know (http://www.beermile.com/) the basics are: 

Start - Beer/Lap - Beer/Lap - Beer/Lap- Beer/Lap - Finish
The beer has to be a min of 5% and the bottle/can can't be modified (so no shot-gunning etc.)

Anyone have a recommendation for a beer that is 5% but a  tolerable to chug? Any other tips/tricks?

2013-05-21 5:13 PM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Good day so far, got to the pool and tried to swim some laps. It's pretty obvious I need to get some more practice before doing a sprint! I also need to learn how to breathe when swimming freestyle. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Other than the swim, went to the Dr. and she sent me for x-rays of the knee. She said that she wants an MRI, but with insurance, they won't authorize a MRI unless there is an xray done first. She said riding and running are fine for now and will wait to see the results when they come in. With that news, I also went for a nice 40 min bike ride just to get out on the bike again was great! I really missed it for the last two weeks. Hope everyone else is well!

2013-05-21 6:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Holliston

Goals for the week:

- 2x Physical therapy

George

Rode the 15 mile loop in just over 51 minutes. Not too bad for my first time riding outside this year. I'll look to shave a few more minutes off that time, but not a ton more since I need to conserve energy for the 5 mile run.

Ran a 5K this afternoon (first time outside) in 27:26. This is the fastest I have run a 5K distance in the last 15 years (inside or outside). :-)

I wasn't too winded after either of these efforts, so I am stating to feel better about the upcoming Sprint.

I think I earned either a Brew or Ruination 10th Anniversary for later tonight.

George

Edited by hoenninger 2013-05-21 6:10 PM
2013-05-21 6:15 PM

User image

New user
Holliston

Good day so far, got to the pool and tried to swim some laps. It's pretty obvious I need to get some more practice before doing a sprint! I also need to learn how to breathe when swimming freestyle. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Other than the swim, went to the Dr. and she sent me for x-rays of the knee. She said that she wants an MRI, but with insurance, they won't authorize a MRI unless there is an xray done first. She said riding and running are fine for now and will wait to see the results when they come in. With that news, I also went for a nice 40 min bike ride just to get out on the bike again was great! I really missed it for the last two weeks. Hope everyone else is well!

Jared,

Best thing to do to improve your swimming and breathing techniques is to take a class with a good teacher. I took a 6 week group course and it has made a world of difference. I never realized how important technique is to swimming!!

What knee issue(s) are you battling?

I am currently delaying my 6th surgery on my left in order to try and compete this summer. When I have surgery, it will be to address 1 or 2 meniscus tears, 2 floating fragments, and a small cyst. :-(

George

2013-05-21 6:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I'm planning on doing the beer mile in a few weeks, for those of you that don't know (http://www.beermile.com/) the basics are: 

Start - Beer/Lap - Beer/Lap - Beer/Lap- Beer/Lap - Finish
The beer has to be a min of 5% and the bottle/can can't be modified (so no shot-gunning etc.)

Anyone have a recommendation for a beer that is 5% but a  tolerable to chug? Any other tips/tricks?

this is a must do race for me...skip kona, skip Boston, I am in for the beer mile!!
I would find the least carbonated beer you can. Skip flavors for easy drinking(mass produced). As an old rugby player, I have been in many boat races(beer chugging).
Don't put your mouth on the beer, just tilt your head back and pour down the hatch. Might want to practice with water in a beer bottle to get the feel of it!
Have fun and have a good beer to sip on after the race, you deserve it!
2013-05-21 6:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

A couple of breathing tips.
-one goggle breathe-only one goggle comes out of the water when breathing.
-take note where you are looking while swimming...you should be looking straight down.
-breathe into your shoulder
take a kick board. stretch it out in front of you.kick and take a stroke, almost like a catchup drill. you can work on your stroke and concentrate on your breathing. Don't start next stroke until your hand is back on board.

cheers!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 70