BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2013-06-06 7:13 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

New user

WSU
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN
I'll be in for June. Will catch up the accounting after the race this weekend.

2013-06-06 9:50 PM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

Regular
I would be in for June, if I knew what I was in for?
2013-06-07 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Originally posted by JoePetto

Originally posted by trisuppo

Originally posted by ernestov

In for a June challenge, although I might finish last... Are we still using the spreadsheet in google docs?

Yes.

Question for Ernesto and the group:

I've been considering my first HIM this late summer (Sept 7). I'm questioning that decision based on summer travel schedule, op tempo at work and my toe injury. I will have trouble adhering to training plan for 11 days in late June, 3 days in early July and about 6 days in mid-August. I'll likely be able to run during all those periods but likely no swim except for a couple days during the august period. While my work op tempo is not as crazy as E's at the moment, on more than one occasion I have skipped workouts due to being too tired from work related stress. The toe is an unknown, not sure when I'll be able to run again - it feels like its improving but I fear rushing back.

Am I setting myself up for a less than satisfactory go at my first HIM. I don't want to pursue the goal unless I can be a prepared as possible and do as well as possible (I recognize it would be my first HIM and I would be silly to "race" it my first time).

I have a HM that I am scheduled for in mid-Oct that is likely to be an A+ race for a number of factors. Was thinking of using the summer to work on my swim as much as possible (still my weakest link) and focus on running with a bit of cycling mixed in.

What say the leader and the masses? Being too hard on myself? Do I just need to HTFU? I'm open to all comments and feedback. Thanks Team!

Answer: why sacrifice an A+ goal for a C+ goal? Doesn't make sense based on your priorities.

Joe - Thank you! Very succinct. After a long week of meetings that rambled on way too long due to folks wanting to hear themselves pontificate, I appreciate the directness.
2013-06-07 1:07 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

New user
Madrid
This is racing season, and here are a lot of experts and medallists, one question for the group: what is your ideal breakfast for a race day and how early do you recommend to have it prior to the start time? Thanks!
2013-06-07 1:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
After a busy few weeks finishing up school and starting summer school and traveling, it looks like the near future will be a bit calmer. Got a good hilly run in this morning since I was away from home in some mountains. Beautiful.

A musing i had....

What is your long bike during HIM training? 3hrs? 4hrs? Curious...

Edited by The Chupacabra 2013-06-07 1:32 PM
2013-06-07 1:37 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Originally posted by Juancho

This is racing season, and here are a lot of experts and medallists, one question for the group: what is your ideal breakfast for a race day and how early do you recommend to have it prior to the start time? Thanks!

My normal breakfast is some homemade protein waffles with peanut butter and natural syrup. Wash it down with a cup of coffee. It fills me up and sticks with me longer than just about anything else I can make.

My race day breakfast is an English muffin with VERY little peanut butter and some honey. I also drink some coffee. Race day nerves usually leave me with an upset stomach, so I have to force the food down and stop eating and drinking coffee 1hr 45min before start time. I'll drink some water before the race, maybe some natural fruit gummies, but that's about it.

2013-06-07 5:12 PM
in reply to: The Chupacabra

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Originally posted by The Chupacabra

After a busy few weeks finishing up school and starting summer school and traveling, it looks like the near future will be a bit calmer. Got a good hilly run in this morning since I was away from home in some mountains. Beautiful.

A musing i had....

What is your long bike during HIM training? 3hrs? 4hrs? Curious...

Hey Chupacabra, glad to hear that you are enjoying a little time between classes!

I'm almost a month away from my HIM and my plan has me going for one weekly long bike ride of between 3-4 hrs. Unfortunately, due to work/family commitments I have not been able to hit most of my long rides and I'm getting worried.

2013-06-07 8:09 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Regular

Originally posted by Juancho This is racing season, and here are a lot of experts and medallists, one question for the group: what is your ideal breakfast for a race day and how early do you recommend to have it prior to the start time? Thanks!

I'm a little different than most.  I come from a military back ground and we were never allowed to eat before working out, so most mornings I have a glass of water and a cup of coffee and I'm off.  I've learned to discipline myself on long worrkout mornings and race day to eat an energy bar.  My favorite is the Nutrilite pre-workout bar, and I eat it about 2 hours before the race.

2013-06-07 8:11 PM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by The Chupacabra After a busy few weeks finishing up school and starting summer school and traveling, it looks like the near future will be a bit calmer. Got a good hilly run in this morning since I was away from home in some mountains. Beautiful. A musing i had.... What is your long bike during HIM training? 3hrs? 4hrs? Curious...

I was wondering the same question, since it takes me about 2:45 to finish 56 miles, and the HIM workout plan calls for a 4 hour ride.  The most I've done so far is 3:30, and I don't think I will do a 4 hour ride.  Not sure if that makes a difference or not in the end.  I guess I'll find out in September.  I'm interested in hearing what the experts have to say.

2013-06-07 8:18 PM
in reply to: mharvey642

User image

Regular

Fun workout this morning,  I love doing workouts that are different than the norm.  Nothing difficult, 10 minute warmup on bike then spin at 105 RPM for 25 minutes, then cool down.  I was able to average around 21mph.  

Looking forward to tomorrows 2 hour ride followed by a 1 hour run.  Perfect weather, 65 degrees and 4 mph winds. 

2013-06-08 3:34 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Thanks Chupacabra! Very useful info.

2013-06-08 3:36 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Thanks Mike! Tough discipline though, to go on long workouts with just a coffee...
2013-06-08 9:17 AM

I am also in for June challenge
2013-06-08 9:36 AM
in reply to: charlotte hobbs

User image

Regular
Great workout this morning, really feeling good and still 12 weeks to go before the HIM.  2 hour ride at 20.45mph.  Race goal pace is 20.7mph.  Followed by an hour run.  7.96 miles  7:32/mile.  Race pace is 7:44.  Weather was perfect.  So if weather is good and I'm feeling it, I believe I can do a sub 5.
2013-06-08 12:32 PM

User image

I have been AOL from the blog for a while. I had a marathon a few weeks ago but knew it was going to be a problem as my IT band had been bothering me. My training had been going great until about 2 weeks before. I had done all my long runs and was tapering when the pain began. I rolled, rested, iced and compressed it as much as I could but on race day it just wasn't happening. I did the first three miles at a great pace (7:30's) but going up a hill something happened and it just became too painful. I tried to go on for another mile and a half and maybe could have finished with a walk/run but knew I had a sprint triathlon in three weeks so I decided to shut it down. The worst part was that there was no way to get back in except to walk the 4.5 miles back that I had already done and had to deal with everyone that was doing the half marathon passing me along the way encouraging me to start running!

So this weekend is my first triathlon of any kind. Its a sprint although the swim is only 400 meters, 14.1 mile bike and 4.1 mile run. Not sure how the leg will hold up as I hurt the achilles of the same leg 2 weeks ago pulling my 4 year old daughter out of the river when she slipped on a boat ramp. The leg does not bother me in the pool or on the bike and I figure worse case scenario is that I can gut it through 4 miles of running.
2013-06-08 3:17 PM
in reply to: rgarcia1501

does anyone have link for June challenge

2013-06-08 3:42 PM

User image

Indianapolis, Indiana
welp, i'm get an RR up later when times and results are posted officially, but just wanted to share the good news with you guys - I won my age group in the sprint today! Field wasn't very deep, but i'm still happy with the results on a race that I just felt "meh" about. Combine that with a successful first OWS race and i'd say today is a pretty good day.

Of course, the second and third place guys weren't there, so I look like a goof on the podium by myself

(966789_10152882916965468_123610912_o.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
966789_10152882916965468_123610912_o.jpg (260KB - 11 downloads)
2013-06-08 4:16 PM
in reply to: flyingpenguin

Congratulations Jordan!! The depth of the field really does not matter. You were there and your were first in AG - great accomplishment!
2013-06-08 4:32 PM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
A win is a win! Let's see that RR Jorda.

70 mile bike today and averaged 20 mph. Last long workout - and now the taper. Haven't run much over the last 2 weeks so this HIM should be interesting.
2013-06-08 9:20 PM

User image

Expert
Good Job Jordan! Can't wait to read your report.
Joe its good to hear you had a good ride.
As for me, it was my oldest daughter's graduation party today. A lot of family up for the weekend and no training being done. The good news is all those little summer projects got done in 2 weeks. If I hired my wife as my trainer, I would be an Olympian .
2013-06-08 10:42 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Originally posted by flyingpenguin

welp, i'm get an RR up later when times and results are posted officially, but just wanted to share the good news with you guys - I won my age group in the sprint today! Field wasn't very deep, but i'm still happy with the results on a race that I just felt "meh" about. Combine that with a successful first OWS race and i'd say today is a pretty good day.

Of course, the second and third place guys weren't there, so I look like a goof on the podium by myself

Congratulations on your 1st place, great job!

2013-06-08 10:51 PM
in reply to: sirgab

User image

Expert
Guatemala
- Here is the link to participate in the June challenge: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag5bnv7efYXkdFFGMkRaZnl...

- Robert, sorry to hear about your injury during the marathon, but sounds like you did the right thing by avoiding making it a lot worst and now you can focus on your sprint tri!

- Joe and Mike, great workouts and pretty cool Mike if you can come in under 5 hrs in your HIM, pretty hard core!

I had to skip my long run and long bike ride this week again due to customer visits yesterday and today. However, I was able to find some balance at home by taking my 10 month old baby boy out on two runs this week on a jogging stroller. Although not perfect, still a lot of fun and I get to avoid skipping more workouts that way.
2013-06-08 11:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user

WSU
Originally posted by CWard

Originally posted by sirgab

Congrats on your 10K PR and your good swim! What is your goal for next week's race?

Anyone from the group racing this weekend?

As my father told me when I started training to do these : The ultimate goal is to finish my first ever Tri

However, I am looking at the following for my first race :

Swim (1/2 mile) - 24 Min's (roughly 3:00 100's for the OWS)
Bike (11 Miles) - 45 min's (Avg 15 mph. I know that is probably slow for the new bike I am using, but I really haven't had much saddle time to get a good feel for my pace on it yet.)
Run (5k) - 30 Min's (Hoping for 9:30's)

So with transitions, final time around 1:45

Will do a full RR after I return to Pullman this weekend (Still in C'dA area after the race), but will give a mini report here

Goal #1 : FINISHED my first race ever!!

Overall: 60/100
AG: 6/7

Swim ~ 20:17
T1 ~ 2:33
Bike ~ 38:57 (Almost 12 miles when scouted previous day) (Avg 18.5 mph)
T2 ~ 1:17
Run ~ 28:48 (9.17/mile) (4 secs overall slower than my father's 9:16 pace)

Total : 1:31:53 ~ 13 mins faster than expectations.

(6 Mins behind my father)

Will also have Garmin data for RR also.

Edited by CWard 2013-06-09 12:03 AM
2013-06-09 4:52 AM
in reply to: CWard

Congratulations Chris! It is very cool that your Dad also participated in triathlons.

at the risk of sounding like i am whining or adverse to changes, i do not see the advances in the new BT website. I think several features are are much less easer friendly. Is anyone enjoying the new website more than the previous one? i would like to find advantages over previous one so it would make learning new system not such a chore.
2013-06-09 10:32 AM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by flyingpenguin welp, i'm get an RR up later when times and results are posted officially, but just wanted to share the good news with you guys - I won my age group in the sprint today! Field wasn't very deep, but i'm still happy with the results on a race that I just felt "meh" about. Combine that with a successful first OWS race and i'd say today is a pretty good day. Of course, the second and third place guys weren't there, so I look like a goof on the podium by myself
\\

Congrats, always feels good to win.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 21