General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-02-03 8:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -CLOSED
Randi. Do not worry I am like you. I think I will go out when its a little cooler. I like 50s for a marathon. I rather have little too warm than too cold.

I got my swim in again. 2x in 7 days. I know I need more but its a start. I fight sitting in snow covered roads in traffic. I was reminded ITU Chicago coming around the corner. I need to finish that race. Even though I have a half marathon a month before ITU Chicago is the race I am focusing on. 1/2 mile swim and 3 miles on the trendmill. Not bad I just need more volume. Not bad for someone like 150 lbs overweight.

Other news I am down 6 lbs for the month but according to my BF% I should b down 10 lbs of fat. Not as much as I want but I found a nice rhythm so I know a lot more will be coming soon.

Edited by chirunner134 2014-02-03 8:16 PM

2014-02-03 9:17 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Had a great bike session tonight, 15 miles in 45 mins at level15. Can feel and see the progress everyday, so encouraging with my first (indoor) tri coming up in 19 short days!!!! Yikes scarey to write that but feeling confidant that I'll be ready to go.
2014-02-04 6:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Thanks Todd. Congrats on the loss and yes, I have learned that the scale does not always show the hard work we put in, staying focused and doing the right things as far as eating and exercise will pay off in the long run.
2014-02-04 6:07 AM
in reply to: diablo243

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Very nice Peter! See, even riding the stationary bike allows improvement! You are surely going to do great on your first indoor tri!
2014-02-04 6:22 AM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Are you all really open? I am with another mentor group but here is where I need to be.

2014-02-04 6:30 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Originally posted by ceilidh

Are you all really open? I am with another mentor group but here is where I need to be.

Yes Robin, we are open and happy to have you join us! If you don't mind, please do the bio so that we can get to know you

2014-02-04 7:15 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

I was supposed to be working with my son-in-law on Monday-Wednesday-Friday, but his Monday schedule got changed, so I swam by myself for the second time in many years.  I used to swim free style/front crawl 2.5 miles at a time four years ago, and currently was happy that I could do a half mile without stopping, but was doing the breast stroke and using the pull buoy for my swims.  I know that my form is bad, so I have to leave the legs out of my front crawl right now and work hard on my breathing and stroke.  But, a half mile is a half mile.  I will NEVER be front of the pack in swimming, so I just need to keep working on my form and endurance and just keep pushing myself to get better.  Plus, the times I swim in the pool are much faster than my open water times.

My workouts currently are swimming on Monday-Wednesday-Friday, but I found out last night that I can't use the pool on Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday at the only time I can get to the pool.  So, I will be doing Monday-Friday-Saturday/Sunday in the pool.

Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday will be treadmill work to get back from the couch to half marathon distance.   Hopefully in the next 30 days, I will be done with the treadmill and be able to start walk/running outside.  I really dislike the drainer and the dread mill (trainer/tread mill for those of you that don't know my sarcasm) and want to be outside, but I refuse to get hurt when there is still the chance of ice on the roads.  But, I also have a really nice room setup in my basement where they are setup with a nice TV and stereo system, so I can watch DVD's/TV and either use wireless head phones, or just crank up the stereo.

2014-02-04 7:31 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Flip hang in there. You do not have to win in the swim. What I learned from my first tri is best thing you can do is to be good enough that you will not exhaust yourself completely in the swim.

I was a horrible swimmer my first ,5 mile swim took me over an hour. needless to say my finish time was really bad that day. a year later I did Big shoulders 5k swim.

I do not know your race goals this year but its early February so you would be surprised how much better you will be June.
2014-02-04 7:45 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
Can I join?
2014-02-04 9:38 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hi all!

NAME / username:  I am Robin, (Ceilidh) That is pronounced Kay- Lee. It is an Irish/Gaelic word meaning a spontaneous music gathering. Used as in, "I hear there is a ceilidh tonight at the pub".

STORY: I am an :"adult onset athlete". In early spring of 2008, when I was 48,  I decided to take my weight in hand and get rid of it once and for all. I started a weight loss program and long the line started running. Someone mentioned triathlon and somehow my curiosity was piqued. I had never even considered that triathlon was something that mere mortals could do. I have always loved to swim, I fairly regularly mountain biked but other than that was pretty darn sedentary. Well, I lost the weight, (50 pounds) and went through the progression of my first 5K, 10K, then Sprint that August. I have never been so proud of myself, ever! I found BT somewhere in the process and became friends with a bunch of supportive people and continued on, not doing any more tris for a while but doing a couple of half marathons and other races. Since then, I had some minor, but persistent health issues that kept me from having the will to be good about eating habits. Most of my weight found me again. Last year, I started getting my gumption back and went ahead and actually did some tris and other races. The extra weight was a pain in many ways so I vowed to get rid of it for this years races.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married 17 years, with two step kids who are out on their own now. (mostly). I have a full time job and my husband and I run vacation cottages to be able to keep our (his) family land, so we are pretty busy and I use that as a justification to be lazy with training sometimes.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently training for an Olympic distance race this year. I have been sidelined since November because I had some foot surgery. It has taken longer to heal than I had anticipated. Not longer than they told me, just longer that I had thought I am able to use a stationary/ spin bike and walk./run on the "dreadmill". I am also working up to using my bike on the trainer as my foot allows being in my bike shoes. Swimming is starting to ramp up this week.

2013 RACES: NYC triathlon (my first olympic distance and I LOVED it), Lake Lure triathlon, 24 hours of Booty (gotta love that name) and several running races.

2014 plans and RACES:I am signed up for a half marathon at the end of March, but I'll have to miss that one. My foot is NOT ready for prime time yet. Over Mountain Tri (olympic distance), NYC triathlon (olympic) and the Lake Lure sprint tri. I have a couple of 30 and 60 mile bike rides (not really races) scheduled and a couple of up hill running races.

WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to get rid of that ugly, painful 40 pounds that I found and have kept around for the last 5 years.

2014-02-04 2:08 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

I am just frustrated with myself.  I was able to complete a 70.3 in 2010 and then I let my work get in the way of my life and my weight sky rocketed.  I have never been this overweight.  I should have made time for swimming and biking and running, instead I did beer drinking and eating.  I took the month of January off for drinking and decided that I would only have a drink on the weekend, or one at our weekly band practice.  Working on the food intake and tracking and getting back to working out again.  I want to do a century ride, this year, but I want it to be like it was 4 years ago, when a 60 mile ride was a great ride for the day and a 100 mile ride was still no big deal.  I want my 40 mile loop to be a 2.5 hour maximum ride, instead of 3+ hours.

I have a long way to go, and I know it.  I just have to work on it day by day.

2014-02-04 3:45 PM

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Hi all,

There's a lot to process here, but would be this be the best way to go about joining this mentor group? my info is below:

NAME: Patrick / pabell24 - 27, single male

STORY: I have always been an athlete, competing competitively in junior tennis growing up, but my weight has always been an issue, especially in a sport where lighter bodies always had an advantage.

I've always been interested in triathlon, and in 2008 i mustered enough courage to enter in the NYC Triathlon with two college friends. I completed the NYC Tri (Olympic distance) in a little over 5 and a half hours, and it was a BRUTAL 5 and a half hours. Aside from some swim training at my college pool, i did very little preparation for this race, and it showed. I finished last in my age group, and to be honest, I had no business completing the race at all. Still, the emotional victory in accomplishing this will always be in my mind, and I'm still proud of willing myself to the finish line.

After the 2008 race i signed up for both the 2009 and 2010 race, but deferred my entry for both because of my lack of training - i knew if I ever did a triathlon again it would be because I was smart about my training and my diet, which has always been problem areas for me. The thought of completing the triathlon became just as satisfying as actually going out and doing it; when i failed to train or race, depression soon followed. Clicking the "defer" button was always followed by some sort of binge eating or drinking.

I moved to Manhattan in October of 2013, and my same friend from 2008 had volunteered for the 2013 race, so he was automatically given a slot for the 2014 race. He told me that he wanted to do the race with me again, and sure enough, I got a 2014 slot through the lottery. So, its the beginning of February, I'm a little under 6 months from the race (8/4/14) and I'm really back to square one, both with training prep and weight loss. I can use all the help and motivation I can get!

One thing I'm doing differently this year is joining with a charity partner for the 2014 race. I've joined Team Boomer for Cystic Fibrosis, as my 8 year old God Daughter was recently diagnosed with CF. I think there is some extra motivation in doing the race in this regard, and I'm looking forward to begin the fundraising process! You can visit my donor page at the link below:

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/pabell/2014-nyc-triathlon

CURRENT TRAINING: N/A, some light running in the fall, but no bike/swim prep as of yet.

2013 Races: N/A
2014 Races: NYC Triathlon, hoping to do a few tune-up sprints in NY/NJ leading up to the race

WEIGHT LOSS: Currently sitting at 256 lbs, I'm trying to find a balance of weight loss through diet and training - I'm very familiar with best practices for food intake, but putting them into practice is my biggest challenge (I love food and beer!)

Thanks everyone. The triathlon community is so powerful, and knowing there are like-minded individuals out there working towards a similar goal is really a mental boost in itself. I'm looking forward to learning about this sport with all of you!

--Patrick
2014-02-04 3:49 PM
in reply to: pabell24

User image

Champion
Bronze member

2014 Races: NYC Triathlon, hoping to do a few tune-up sprints in NY/NJ leading up to the race WEIGHT LOSS: Currently sitting at 256 lbs, I'm trying to find a balance of weight loss through diet and training - I'm very familiar with best practices for food intake, but putting them into practice is my biggest challenge (I love food and beer!) Thanks everyone. The triathlon community is so powerful, and knowing there are like-minded individuals out there working towards a similar goal is really a mental boost in itself. I'm looking forward to learning about this sport with all of you! --Patrick

See you there Patrick!

2014-02-04 7:24 PM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Originally posted by luvschips

Can I join?

Absolutely!
2014-02-04 7:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Hi all!

NAME / username:  I am Robin, (Ceilidh) That is pronounced Kay- Lee. It is an Irish/Gaelic word meaning a spontaneous music gathering. Used as in, "I hear there is a ceilidh tonight at the pub".

STORY: I am an :"adult onset athlete". In early spring of 2008, when I was 48,  I decided to take my weight in hand and get rid of it once and for all. I started a weight loss program and long the line started running. Someone mentioned triathlon and somehow my curiosity was piqued. I had never even considered that triathlon was something that mere mortals could do. I have always loved to swim, I fairly regularly mountain biked but other than that was pretty darn sedentary. Well, I lost the weight, (50 pounds) and went through the progression of my first 5K, 10K, then Sprint that August. I have never been so proud of myself, ever! I found BT somewhere in the process and became friends with a bunch of supportive people and continued on, not doing any more tris for a while but doing a couple of half marathons and other races. Since then, I had some minor, but persistent health issues that kept me from having the will to be good about eating habits. Most of my weight found me again. Last year, I started getting my gumption back and went ahead and actually did some tris and other races. The extra weight was a pain in many ways so I vowed to get rid of it for this years races.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married 17 years, with two step kids who are out on their own now. (mostly). I have a full time job and my husband and I run vacation cottages to be able to keep our (his) family land, so we are pretty busy and I use that as a justification to be lazy with training sometimes.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently training for an Olympic distance race this year. I have been sidelined since November because I had some foot surgery. It has taken longer to heal than I had anticipated. Not longer than they told me, just longer that I had thought I am able to use a stationary/ spin bike and walk./run on the "dreadmill". I am also working up to using my bike on the trainer as my foot allows being in my bike shoes. Swimming is starting to ramp up this week.

2013 RACES: NYC triathlon (my first olympic distance and I LOVED it), Lake Lure triathlon, 24 hours of Booty (gotta love that name) and several running races.

2014 plans and RACES:I am signed up for a half marathon at the end of March, but I'll have to miss that one. My foot is NOT ready for prime time yet. Over Mountain Tri (olympic distance), NYC triathlon (olympic) and the Lake Lure sprint tri. I have a couple of 30 and 60 mile bike rides (not really races) scheduled and a couple of up hill running races.

WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to get rid of that ugly, painful 40 pounds that I found and have kept around for the last 5 years.

Welcome to the group Robin! We are so glad to have you join us. Sounds like you will fit in nicely with us. Some of us have a history of triathlons and/or running but have been sidelined for one reason or another. Looking forward to getting to know you and helping keep you on track for training as we get into triathlon season!

2014-02-04 7:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Originally posted by pabell24

Hi all,

There's a lot to process here, but would be this be the best way to go about joining this mentor group? my info is below:

STORY: I have always been an athlete, competing competitively in junior tennis growing up, but my weight has always been an issue, especially in a sport where lighter bodies always had an advantage.

I've always been interested in triathlon, and in 2008 i mustered enough courage to enter in the NYC Triathlon with two college friends. I completed the NYC Tri (Olympic distance) in a little over 5 and a half hours, and it was a BRUTAL 5 and a half hours. Aside from some swim training at my college pool, i did very little preparation for this race, and it showed. I finished last in my age group, and to be honest, I had no business completing the race at all. Still, the emotional victory in accomplishing this will always be in my mind, and I'm still proud of willing myself to the finish line.

After the 2008 race i signed up for both the 2009 and 2010 race, but deferred my entry for both because of my lack of training - i knew if I ever did a triathlon again it would be because I was smart about my training and my diet, which has always been problem areas for me. The thought of completing the triathlon became just as satisfying as actually going out and doing it; when i failed to train or race, depression soon followed. Clicking the "defer" button was always followed by some sort of binge eating or drinking.

I moved to Manhattan in October of 2013, and my same friend from 2008 had volunteered for the 2013 race, so he was automatically given a slot for the 2014 race. He told me that he wanted to do the race with me again, and sure enough, I got a 2014 slot through the lottery. So, its the beginning of February, I'm a little under 6 months from the race (8/4/14) and I'm really back to square one, both with training prep and weight loss. I can use all the help and motivation I can get!

One thing I'm doing differently this year is joining with a charity partner for the 2014 race. I've joined Team Boomer for Cystic Fibrosis, as my 8 year old God Daughter was recently diagnosed with CF. I think there is some extra motivation in doing the race in this regard, and I'm looking forward to begin the fundraising process! You can visit my donor page at the link below:

CURRENT TRAINING: N/A, some light running in the fall, but no bike/swim prep as of yet.

2014 Races: NYC Triathlon, hoping to do a few tune-up sprints in NY/NJ leading up to the race

WEIGHT LOSS: Currently sitting at 256 lbs, I'm trying to find a balance of weight loss through diet and training - I'm very familiar with best practices for food intake, but putting them into practice is my biggest challenge (I love food and beer!)

Thanks everyone. The triathlon community is so powerful, and knowing there are like-minded individuals out there working towards a similar goal is really a mental boost in itself. I'm looking forward to learning about this sport with all of you!

--Patrick

Welcome Patrick! Looks like you and Robin will get a chance to meet at the NYC Triathlon! I do have to tell you that racing for the charitable cause definitely gives you a different focus and motivation. Mike and I race for Ryan's Quest which is a local charitable organization for a family in our town whose son was diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. All the money we raise goes directly to fund research for a cure. It keeps us moving forward on those days when we just don't think we can do it. And, having someone so close to you who you are racing for means even more. We look forward to getting to know you as we all train for 2014 races while getting healthy at the same time!

Forgot to add, you should add the link to your firstgiving page to your signature on here. This way every time you post, someone can see it and you never know when it will encourage someone to make a donation!

Edited by Fechter99 2014-02-04 7:34 PM

2014-02-04 7:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
No workouts for me for the past couple of days - well unless you want to call the almost 900 calories I burned yesterday moving snow for 90 minutes. Man do my arms ache...We have more bad weather coming for tomorrow morning so it is likely that I won't make it to the gym early tomorrow either. I have to really get my butt onto the trainer and get some bike time...just finding it SOOO boring. I am so ready for spring. I read somewhere that there are only 15 Mondays until Memorial Day. Doesn't seem so far away when you think in those term.

What do you have on tap for the next couple of days?
2014-02-04 7:42 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by diablo243

Had a great bike session tonight, 15 miles in 45 mins at level15. Can feel and see the progress everyday, so encouraging with my first (indoor) tri coming up in 19 short days!!!! Yikes scarey to write that but feeling confidant that I'll be ready to go.

Nice ride! You are gonna rock this indoor tri!
2014-02-04 7:44 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ

Welcome! Yes, we are open for business!
2014-02-04 7:51 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by flip18436572

I am just frustrated with myself.  I was able to complete a 70.3 in 2010 and then I let my work get in the way of my life and my weight sky rocketed.  I have never been this overweight.  I should have made time for swimming and biking and running, instead I did beer drinking and eating.  I took the month of January off for drinking and decided that I would only have a drink on the weekend, or one at our weekly band practice.  Working on the food intake and tracking and getting back to working out again.  I want to do a century ride, this year, but I want it to be like it was 4 years ago, when a 60 mile ride was a great ride for the day and a 100 mile ride was still no big deal.  I want my 40 mile loop to be a 2.5 hour maximum ride, instead of 3+ hours.

I have a long way to go, and I know it.  I just have to work on it day by day.

You've got the key... "day by day" Turn that frustration into desire to do it again. The fact that you completed a 70.3 is so awesome! You can do this again. You have accomplished something that few people have. Be proud. I know you will cross that finish line again!
2014-02-04 7:53 PM
in reply to: pabell24

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by pabell24

Hi all,

--Patrick

Welcome to the group Patrick! Glad to have you

2014-02-04 7:56 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by Fechter99

No workouts for me for the past couple of days - well unless you want to call the almost 900 calories I burned yesterday moving snow for 90 minutes. Man do my arms ache...We have more bad weather coming for tomorrow morning so it is likely that I won't make it to the gym early tomorrow either. I have to really get my butt onto the trainer and get some bike time...just finding it SOOO boring. I am so ready for spring. I read somewhere that there are only 15 Mondays until Memorial Day. Doesn't seem so far away when you think in those term.

What do you have on tap for the next couple of days?

I need to get off my butt! I haven't run since Saturday. This weather has me all messed up. Icy in the morning so i cant get to the gym. Early closure of the gym due to weather.

Well, you know what they say, excuses are like... and they all stink!

I WILL workout tomorrow, even if that means miles in the basement on the trainer! I also got the P90X plan from a friend, so I might give that a try.
2014-02-04 9:17 PM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Welcome new members and keep pressing on fellow clydes and athena's YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

If you can't tell I'm a little pumped, achieved that elusive milestone of breaking a 10 min mile running a 5K on the treadmill tonight, and IT FEELS AMAZING!!! 3 weeks ago, just 3 short weeks ago I would have said not in my wildest dreams and now here I am on day 22 of my 8 week training program and making milestone achievements! In addition to the time I was able to increase my adv cadence to 172 by listening to a 180bpm music mix, man it just all came together tonight!

Thanks to all my fellow mentors and mentees for the support and encouragement, this forum has been a huge help in staying on task and for those that are down or discouraged or unmotivated, just Begin... The rest is easy
2014-02-04 9:27 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Diablo That is great. I did the same thing but lesser. I was so excited last week I got to 15 min miles which for my race in May is the Absolute I did 13 min/mile on the treadmill for a mile and then did run/walk where the walk was 15 min miles. Ended up avging little less than 14 mins per mile. I hope to reach my goal was 12 min miles for atleast 4 miles by April first. Ideally I like atleast 6 to 8. I want run with people again.
2014-02-04 9:39 PM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Awesome stuff Chi, just keep moving forward man! I tell you increasing ur cadence while maintaining whatever speed you run at makes a HUGE difference! Even though the logic seems counter intuitive if reduced fatigue and strain 10 fold and forced me to change my landing point which help with any pain I had prior. Next time you run try increasing ur cadence a little and see if you notice the benefits like I did.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28160 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100343 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?