BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2014-01-29 6:06 PM
in reply to: Tridimi

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED)

Originally posted by Tridimi

Well, i put it as training. Any activity that makes your heart rate goes faster and makes you sweat, even if it is a bit, is training to me.

Today is rest day. Sore throat and rain outside makes me stay inside and go to bed early.

Boo! Get better! 

2014-01-29 7:06 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by ingleshteechur

You sure got me thinking on this one, as you always do when I have a question like this.  Your question regarding my success and what does it allow me to do seems to be a mixed bag of answers.
Being at my best training weight allows me to:
Have awesome training sessions where I feel strong and powerful
Wear anything I have in my closet without having to wonder how tight they'll be this week
Walk with a confident pep to my step
Feel and know that I look fit 

All good things.  I think there are more rewards. 

Confidence that you can do any activity you choose because you're fit and already active.  Hiking?  Cycling?  Swimming?  Volleyball? 

BUUUUUT...

it gives me attention "You look so good, what are you doing?  You're so thin...how did you do it?"  But people want to hear a magic bullet.  They don't want to hear talk of training sessions and lean protein and veggies.  I don't know how to respond.

Accept the attention gracefully and acknowledge that there are no magic bullets.  You work hard and pay attention to your diet.  When they realize just how hard it is (and also how rewarding it is), they'll really admire you.  You have a chance to influence them to make the changes you made.  This is also a reward! 

I *feel* like I get the dagger eyes from female coworkers--'look at her thinking she's all that' 

Let your personality be the antidote to these daggers.  Smile and be gracious and you'll show them that you're more than a smokin' body. 

And there are days where I honestly feel like I should apologize for feeling and looking good.  Before triathlon I was in the group of always complaining and commiserating with other women about those last 15 pounds.  Now those pounds are gone and I don't know what group I belong in!

There are two nuggets in this statement.  Would you apologize for being educated or rich?  (No)  You have absolutely no need to apologize for being healthy and fit (so please don't!).  Second, you've moved away from that initial group of friends.  You made a conscious and sustained effort to change because you weren't happy with where you were. Would you want to go back?  (I don't recommend it.)  You belong to a new group of people who have chosen similar healthy and active lifestyles.  Granted, many of them are virtual friends here on BT.  It can be a challenge to find local friends with similar interests.  If you look at what I wrote above, it may be finding people who enjoy hiking and kayaking more than running and cycling, but there IS a community out there that you need to find.  These kinds of challenges are why I wanted to mentor BEGINNERS this year.  (Thank you for helping me with this also.

I do feel sassier in the last few months though...like dammit, I'm 43, I train my tush off, I look better than I ever have in my life--I should revel in it.  But then I get all wussy about it and go back to the above negatives.

Embrace the sassiness!  You put many high-school girls to shame, and 43 is NOT old.  (M40-44 is one of the most competitive age groups in both running and triathlon.

You're recognizing the negatives, so pay attention when you feel drawn back to them and make the same conscious decision to not go there that you made to eat lean protein and put on your running shoes! 

2014-01-29 9:16 PM
in reply to: #4921078

User image

Elite
Thank you Mike! You have given me some great insights here. I am going to put your suggestions to work. I have had a negative thought pattern in my head for so long that it's time for this sassy new Kim to shut that old negative voice up once and for all. I do deserve my success because I have worked hard at it. * cue Rocky theme song here*
2014-01-30 1:07 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England

You sure got me thinking on this one, as you always do when I have a question like this.  Your question regarding my success and what does it allow me to do seems to be a mixed bag of answers.

Being at my best training weight allows me to:

Have awesome training sessions where I feel strong and powerful

Wear anything I have in my closet without having to wonder how tight they'll be this week

Walk with a confident pep to my step

Feel and know that I look fit

BUUUUUT...

it gives me attention "You look so good, what are you doing?  You're so thin...how did you do it?"  But people want to hear a magic bullet.  They don't want to hear talk of training sessions and lean protein and veggies.  I don't know how to respond.

I *feel* like I get the dagger eyes from female coworkers--'look at her thinking she's all that'

And there are days where I honestly feel like I should apologize for feeling and looking good.  Before triathlon I was in the group of always complaining and commiserating with other women about those last 15 pounds.  Now those pounds are gone and I don't know what group I belong in!

I do feel sassier in the last few months though...like dammit, I'm 43, I train my tush off, I look better than I ever have in my life--I should revel in it.  But then I get all wussy about it and go back to the above negatives.

I hate to say it Kim but I think that you are ashamed of how much work you have to put in. when people ask you 'how you do it' they are asking about training sessions, lean protein and veggies,
and if friends say you look good, then they mean you look good and you should get the clothes out from the *back* of the closet.
I suffer from a major lack of self confidence, I am a lone worker and rarely go out of the house unless for sports.

I have a little plan for you, feel free to tell me where to go but,
what we're going to do is drop that little bit of extra weight your choice when and how, either for a race or just for you.
then you're gonna show us and lets see what happens
2014-01-30 6:20 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK

I've been on the opposite end of the scale with reactions, there's a woman I train with, she's probably 5 years older than me but has a super fit body and she regularly gives me a look of 'Please don't stand next to me just in case your fat is contagious'. In all honesty it hurts but in reality this is all in my head and she may not be thinking that at all.

In line with the lack of being weighed I'm really trying to love my body. I've spent years hating the way I look and I think if I can spend time just loving me for who and how I am I'll feel so much better. That's the theory though and in practice 41 years of telling myself I'm not good enough forms habits that are really hard to break.

As the others have said, focus on how great you feel, how much better your body functions and the joy you receive from having a smokin' hot body
2014-01-30 6:22 AM
in reply to: fadullium

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Originally posted by fadullium

Strong & fit is the new skinny ;-)

I am so using that! Thanks !!

2014-01-30 8:09 AM
in reply to: Kate_r

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Kate_r

I've been on the opposite end of the scale with reactions, there's a woman I train with, she's probably 5 years older than me but has a super fit body and she regularly gives me a look of 'Please don't stand next to me just in case your fat is contagious'. In all honesty it hurts but in reality this is all in my head and she may not be thinking that at all.

Kate, I don't know whether the perception is coming from your co-worker, or if it is coming from within you.  Do you see the same interaction between your co-worker and others in the office who aren't as fit as she is? If that thought isn't being validated in her other interactions, commit to changing YOUR attitude. 

In line with the lack of being weighed I'm really trying to love my body. I've spent years hating the way I look and I think if I can spend time just loving me for who and how I am I'll feel so much better. That's the theory though and in practice 41 years of telling myself I'm not good enough forms habits that are really hard to break. As the others have said, focus on how great you feel, how much better your body functions and the joy you receive from having a smokin' hot body

Kate, this is why I like mentoring and I chose to focus my efforts this season on beginners.  I'm here to support breaking those mental habits that are holding you back. 

I like the lively discussion here about weight and body image and attitude

I'll reinforce to everyone, ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING. 

You can be a little (or a lot) heavier than you want and with a good attitude, people will want to be around you.  It will also be the positive energy to make changes to get closer to where you want to be. 

You can also be exactly where you want to be with a bad attitude, and in those times, people will still not want to be around you.  Recogize this in yourself, and recognize it in other people. 

Now...if you can recognize it in other people, you have to ask yourself why do you choose to associate with that person?  What do they offer you besides discouragement and anger?  You have a lot of choice even for co-workers or family.  If you are immersed in griping at complaining at work, how can you reduce the contamination?  Interact less or choose to interact positively?  Find a new job?  Same with family.  If you don't look forward to spending the holiday with your bitter father, make some other plans and let him wallow in his bitterness alone.  Yes, it can be extreme, but you need to approach this as if your life depends on it, because it does! 

2014-01-30 8:49 AM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

BUUUUUT...

Of course people want to hear  a magic bullet because most people are too lazy to train and think there is an easy way out. On the other hand, a lot of people, even those who know there isn't a magic bullet probably aren't interested in all the mumbo jumbo about how your training sessions work and how your diet is put together. So my advice is just to say: Working my of and try to eat healthy.

They are jealous. But don't you let their jealousy make you feel any less about your hard earn accomplishments! Think: HA! They are jealous, I must have done something good then! :D

Life's too short and precious to complain. People who do complain a lot are people who don't belong into your inner circle.

Feel proud about what you do. There is nothing wrong about that. Besides, 43 isn't old!!! 44 on the other hand....

2014-01-30 9:14 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Tridimi

Feel proud about what you do. There is nothing wrong about that. Besides, 43 isn't old!!! 44 on the other hand....

Be careful there!  I joined the M50-54 AG this year. 

2014-01-30 12:52 PM

User image

Elite

You guys are great...and while I'm not exactly a beginner--I am a beginner in the sense of challenging these old thought patterns.  I've 'kind of' challenged them before, but this time it is a head on battle.  When I look back over my cycles of success/sabotage--it's my own attitude, as you suggest Mike.  I'm not a perfect person...I've made some hefty mistakes in my life, but I can't continue to use those mistakes as a beat down.  I think that's it--I get where I want to go and because of past mistakes feel like 'wait, you (fill in the blank 2 years ago) you don't DESERVE the success.  Huh. This is the first time I've put that into words.  You guys are GOOD!

2014-01-30 1:15 PM

User image

It finally warmed up enough to get a run in outside today- so I ran and did an errand at the same time. That's efficient!

And I took a few pics of my bike frame that we are using on hubby's build me a bike project. Not sure how to post them, if I can at all.

It's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37201105@N04/12225369456/
and the one before it is a close up of the fork detail- you can see the engraved swallow!

(the darker spots are a little touch up paint where there were small scratches- closer color we could find. Hubby is anal about scratches so the bike doesn't rust over time.) It's in remarkably good shape!

2014-01-30 2:22 PM

User image

Chelmsford, England

You guys are great...and while I'm not exactly a beginner--I am a beginner in the sense of challenging these old thought patterns.  I've 'kind of' challenged them before, but this time it is a head on battle.  When I look back over my cycles of success/sabotage--it's my own attitude, as you suggest Mike.  I'm not a perfect person...I've made some hefty mistakes in my life, but I can't continue to use those mistakes as a beat down.  I think that's it--I get where I want to go and because of past mistakes feel like 'wait, you (fill in the blank 2 years ago) you don't DESERVE the success.  Huh. This is the first time I've put that into words.  You guys are GOOD!

Wow I can see by your words that you just took one giant, "excuse me" f**king step forwards.

I'm a great believer in you must leave the past where it is and build for the future. You mustn't let every mistake you may have made hold you down.

If life was meant to be easy god wouldn't have made chocolate !!!
2014-01-30 4:16 PM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

, West-Vlaanderen
Buys today for me and also exciting!! This morning I went to my osteopathic physician (I hope this is the correct term). Two weeks ago I had a little accident while in self defense training. A colleague I was sparring with rolled over me and my head got stuck in his t-shirt making my head flop over and my chin got pushed hard against my sternum. It hurt like hell and for a few moments i saw little black dots sparkling in my vision. I didn't do much else that training but in the evening I went swimming and in the days after that I just kept training but I felt my neck and the muscles on my scapules getting really tight. SO this morning my osteopathic physician loosened everything. He said i was indeed very tight in the neck and back and I was standing a little bit off to the right. Anyway, over the next few days I should feel some pain becasue everything is getting back in place. And yes, I do feel sore in the muscles but i do feel the tension is gone.

So then I did a lot of errands (on bike off course). And earlier this evening I went to my GP to get clearance for my triathlon license. And I was found fit! Woohoo. He also took an ECG and i' fine fine fine. And to celebrate that, I went for an excellent swim. I didn't feel like following my schedule so I just did 2x1500m (my OD distance I have to swim in July) and to my surprise I aced it in 25minutes!!! I was hoping I could nail 30mins but 25m is just splendid. While this was just in a swimming pool, I hope i can get the same result in open water in July. This would certainly not give me a top place to start with, but it would definately put me in the upper half of the contestants. And seeing its a drafting race, this could be very important.

And now  have all the papers to enroll me in a triathlon club. I'm sending them away tomorrow and gonna pay the members fee tomorrow also and from then on, i'm an official triathlete :D

WAAAAAAAH Old Skool Steel Frame!! I'm drooling here Can't wait to see it finished. Yes a columbus. Aaaaah, nice quality. Bike for life!

2014-01-30 4:34 PM

User image

Elite

Dimitri...exciting day!  Glad you got the go ahead from your GP!  Nice swim as well! 

Nancy...nice frame!

2014-01-30 4:37 PM
in reply to: Jynxy

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Jynxy

Wow I can see by your words that you just took one giant, "excuse me" f**king step forwards. I'm a great believer in you must leave the past where it is and build for the future. You mustn't let every mistake you may have made hold you down. If life was meant to be easy god wouldn't have made chocolate !!!

I believe I did!  Now to hold to that!  I am counting on you guys to help me out with that!

2014-01-30 4:41 PM
in reply to: Kate_r

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Kate_r

I've been on the opposite end of the scale with reactions, there's a woman I train with, she's probably 5 years older than me but has a super fit body and she regularly gives me a look of 'Please don't stand next to me just in case your fat is contagious'. In all honesty it hurts but in reality this is all in my head and she may not be thinking that at all. In line with the lack of being weighed I'm really trying to love my body. I've spent years hating the way I look and I think if I can spend time just loving me for who and how I am I'll feel so much better. That's the theory though and in practice 41 years of telling myself I'm not good enough forms habits that are really hard to break. As the others have said, focus on how great you feel, how much better your body functions and the joy you receive from having a smokin' hot body

Why are we women so hard on each other!?  We're all so busy wondering what other women are thinking about us.  We talk to ourselves in ways we would never talk to a friend, a sister.  Like you I have had many years of negative self talk.  We are in our 40s woman, enough of this, right!?  So far the 40s are fabulous and I want them to keep getting better! Let's help each other out with this.

2014-01-31 4:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK

Why are we women so hard on each other!?  We're all so busy wondering what other women are thinking about us.  We talk to ourselves in ways we would never talk to a friend, a sister.  Like you I have had many years of negative self talk.  We are in our 40s woman, enough of this, right!?  So far the 40s are fabulous and I want them to keep getting better! Let's help each other out with this.

You're on, I'd love to and someone else reaching towards the same goal will be so inspiring!
2014-01-31 7:00 AM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

My partner finally bought a tape measure. So here are my stats

Starting values at 31/01/2014:
Neck: 40.2cm ~ 15.8 inch
biceps: 30.5cm ~ 12 inch
chest: 102.8cm ~ 40.5 inch
waist: 92.5cm ~ 36.4 inch
across belly button: 100.7cm ~ 39.6 inch
Hips: 107.5cm ~ 42.4 inch
thigh: 66.9cm ~ 26.3 inch

Some are pretty huge i guess :D. Anyway, i'm not planning on measuring them every week. More like every two or three weeks. I wonder how fast i'll notice some changes. Every monday I do plan on doing a weigh in as that should give results faster. I like results....
2014-01-31 7:18 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Nice frame Nancy! 

Are you building it up with downtube, bar-end, or integrated shifters? 

2014-01-31 7:28 AM

User image

Originally posted by McFuzz

Nice frame Nancy! 

downtube shifters. We have good rims/wheels on the way- Campagnolo Nuovo Super Record road bike wheel set 700c Campy rims, hubby has a six speed freewheel for them. and he's looking at tubular rims (which he loves and says I will be the coolest kid on the block with)- for racing on or something. Plus they'll fit his bike as well if either of us has a flat, yadda yadda. I'll put up more pics as we get things together. Project Frankenbike has begun.
2014-01-31 9:00 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Greetings all

We're at the end of January, so time for some reflection.

What has gone well for you this month?  How much weight have you lost?  How many minutes/miles/yards have you worked out?  How have you changed your nutrition in positive ways?  How have you changed your attitudes about training, fitness, health, body image, etc.? 

Now is the time to recognize that consistency is key.  All of those 20 and 30 minute workouts add up to some large numbers.  Missing a 30 minute workout if you've done 20 others doesn't change your monthly totals a lot (nor does it change your race-day performance very much).  Missing many 30 minutes workouts do make a difference.  Same thing with what we eat.  Over a month, a single indulgence with otherwise clean eating doesn't have a big impact. 

2014-01-31 9:04 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by el penguino
Originally posted by McFuzz

Nice frame Nancy! 

downtube shifters. We have good rims/wheels on the way- Campagnolo Nuovo Super Record road bike wheel set 700c Campy rims, hubby has a six speed freewheel for them. and he's looking at tubular rims (which he loves and says I will be the coolest kid on the block with)- for racing on or something. Plus they'll fit his bike as well if either of us has a flat, yadda yadda. I'll put up more pics as we get things together. Project Frankenbike has begun.

I bought a Raleigh Technium on E-bay in 2005 after doing my first two tri's on a Specialized Hardrock (mountain bike).  It had a 6-speed Suntour Cyclone drivetrain (freewheel), downtube shifters, etc. and I rode it to a 20+ mph bike split in my only HIM in 2006. 

I got my Klein Aeolus at the end of 2006 and then my Javelin in 2008. 

2014-01-31 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
What has gone well for you this month?

I've got back into grips with the training and I'm really on top of my food intake and nutritional choices.

How much weight have you lost?

Not sure really, I'm planning to weigh myself at home on the 11th and I'll be able to tell you what the weight loss has been over the month.

How many minutes/miles/yards have you worked out?
Swim: 2h 44m 27s - 1084.3 M
Bike: 14h 18m 29s - 77.08 KM
Run: 4h 52m 34s - 13.18 KM

How have you changed your nutrition in positive ways?
Hell yes, I've started a paleo approach and it's really working for me. I am rarely hungry and managing to stick to my target calorie intake day after day, which for me is revolutionary. This has also led to more meals at home and more home cooked food which is another one of my goals. I can cook but a lot of what I do is very standard and I'd like to try alternative recipies and methods of cooking so this helps me achieve two goals in one.

How have you changed your attitudes about training, fitness, health, body image, etc.?
It really struck home the advice I was given in this group to live the life as the person I wanted to be and I reflect on that often. It helps me stay focused on what it is that I want. I'm really trying not to beat myself up over the lack of training. I really should be doing more but so often work and tiredness get in the way. I've felt so tired in the last few weeks that it's been a priority to try and get more sleep. I think I'm getting there but I do need to work at getting more organised. I'm working on loving my body more and certainly have more self acceptance, I also need to banish the lack of confidence and there's lots more work to be done in that area.
2014-01-31 1:49 PM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen
What has gone well for you this month?
The running is slowly getting better. It really is my worst of three. I'm also glad i decided to enroll in a triathlete club and enrolled into this group. I've been known to lose my goals and get demotivated if something bad happens. So far, the motivation is still growing due to this group.

How much weight have you lost?
About even. I lost some weight rapidly after new years eve but then i had some receptions and i added weight. I'm only REALLY looking into my eating since this week.

How many minutes/miles/yards have you worked out?
Swim: 4h 37m - 12.9km ~ 8.01 miles
Bike: 19h30m -  401km ~ 250miles
Run: 5h31m - 56.5km ~ 35miles
Now I see those hours and minutes, it really amazes me

How have you changed your attitudes about training, fitness, health, body image, etc.?
Not really. Except to see how many hours I have spent doing physical activities. Didn't cross my mind I gathered that many hours.
2014-01-31 3:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

What has gone well this month?

I have become part of a great mentor group!  My training has been  very consistent.  I am proud of my efforts this month!

How much weight have I lost?

I've lost the holiday weight and am now heading into my 'lean zone'.  This is a zone I have visited twice in the last year but haven't stayed long!  As per my earlier post--this represents success to me and it scares me.  This time I plan to stay here and enjoy the hell out of it. (eeeekkkk!!!)

January Totals:

Swim: 1h 05m - 738.19 Yd

Bike: 21h 50m - 397.6 Mi

Run: 17h 00m - 93.56 Mi

Strength: 9h 45m

I am very proud of my bike and run totals!  My swim needs some time, but I am very limited in when I can swim.  Once a week in an OW situation is my only real option.

I am loving training, I am loving the continued nutritional information I am learning (and applying!).  Fitness and health are great!  Body image--well that is the issue I am currently doing the work on.  This thread has been a tremendous help already.  I love everything about BT and triathlon and how it has changed my life! It just gets better!

Edited by ingleshteechur 2014-01-31 3:34 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 21

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38001 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.