BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2016-03-01 4:50 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open

My plan for March goes something like this.

• Swim each day Mon - Fri. And since I don't consider early swim workouts to be real hard workouts:
  • At least one short/medium walk and one ride each week.
  • Long walk or trail hike with Cindy each weekend.
  • Long bike on the other weekend day.Walks/rides are weather permitting, of course.

If I can maintain that schedule I'll have three pretty easy days each week and should be getting enough rest.

2016-03-02 7:59 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

My plan for March goes something like this.

• Swim each day Mon - Fri. And since I don't consider early swim workouts to be real hard workouts:
  • At least one short/medium walk and one ride each week.
  • Long walk or trail hike with Cindy each weekend.
  • Long bike on the other weekend day.Walks/rides are weather permitting, of course.

If I can maintain that schedule I'll have three pretty easy days each week and should be getting enough rest.

A man with a plan!

2016-03-02 8:04 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by ceilidh

What a great job! I LOVE the smile on your face at the finish line. (I love the singlet, too!) Way to tough it out and keep going. That was one beautiful course, too. But damn, I looked at the elevation chart for that bike. WHOA! That would have made me cry!

I am going to take your advise and learn to fuel better, do more long bikes (and runs) and bricks. I have 2.5 or so months to get my act together to get to the end.

Proud of you, Man!

Thanks Yes, the elevation chart is painful, but it doesn't tell the wind story... it was worse than you think. If you're interested the shirt comes from scudopro.com I'm not sure if it's the fastest out there, but they have plenty of unique options. Good quality too, I've had that jersey for 4 years and it's still good as new. As for my taking my advice, that all sounds good, but don't prioritize bricks, they are quite over rated as a workout. You're much better to separate the workouts and get good quality runs and bikes in. Doing more bricks in training wouldn't have helped me at all. Note, I usually have no issue with running after a bike, assuming the bike was paced correctly.

Hmmm.... Not prioritizing bricks.. That goes against everything I have in my (pea-brained) mind. I am focusing mainly on getting the distances in as I want to make sure I can do them and feel they are fairly "easy". But, I feel I really have to have the ability to do BOTH the bike and run distance at the same time. and more than once or twice before I do this race. My run gets slow and my form goes all to hell in a hand basket after riding and I feel I need to overcome that hurdle. Especially for the projected 3 hour run I will have after the bike. Maybe I am wrong on this.

2016-03-02 10:46 AM

User image

Had a better night last night, Rode for an Hour last night after work. I went 16.5 miles in 1:03 hours. But as I analyze the data, both my watch and phone said I averaged 15.6 MPH. Um Somehow I lost .7 mph in my average even though I went for an hour. Makes my wonder if my speed is being correctly shown on my watch.

I have two bikes, one road and one Tri. I took the road bike out last night and truly felt like I was pulling a sled. Anyhow, my performance was a little slower than I expected.

Tonight is swimming in the pool with a little weight training before hand.

I use Wednesday as my official weigh in days: This morning was 240.2 35.2% Fat. 78 HR.

DO ya'll use Strava or My fitnesspal or Just here?

Looking good everyone,

BTW, i am from Southern California, anyone else in the area?

John
2016-03-02 10:52 AM
in reply to: johndiaz00

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by johndiaz00 Had a better night last night, Rode for an Hour last night after work. I went 16.5 miles in 1:03 hours. But as I analyze the data, both my watch and phone said I averaged 15.6 MPH. Um Somehow I lost .7 mph in my average even though I went for an hour. Makes my wonder if my speed is being correctly shown on my watch. I have two bikes, one road and one Tri. I took the road bike out last night and truly felt like I was pulling a sled. Anyhow, my performance was a little slower than I expected. Tonight is swimming in the pool with a little weight training before hand. I use Wednesday as my official weigh in days: This morning was 240.2 35.2% Fat. 78 HR. DO ya'll use Strava or My fitnesspal or Just here? Looking good everyone, BTW, i am from Southern California, anyone else in the area? John

I am always slower on the road than the trainer. The hills are more real

I live in Western North Carolina. SoCal is a great place to live and train.

2016-03-02 10:56 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Here is an article from a friend of mine here on BT. We met in a challenge group back in the days the challenges each month were so big we had to have teams. Anyway, he has moved on from triathlon to being a fitness coach specializing in kettlebells and nutrition. He was also overweight when he started his journey, started triathlon and went all the way to ironman competitions. Here is a timley article he wrote: (also, feel free to follow him. I am not capable of doing any of his posted workouts and I am not focusing on weight training now, but his articles, advise and tips on form (for when I do strength training) are invaluable.

2016-03-02 11:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

2/21 - Swim  - 06m 24s - 300.00 yards - 02m 08s /100 yards

Got there a little earlier this morning and finished my wimpy little 300 yd goal before the Masters swim club showed up, so I had my own lane. It was nice. My left bicep/shoulder held up pretty well, no pain really, just sore. I think it's kind of like the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz, needs to be moved around to spread the lubricant evenly. Not planning a second workout today, using it as an easy day instead.

2016-03-03 6:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

3/21 - Swim - 09m - 400.00 yards - 02m 15s /100 yards

0500 is turning out to be quite doable. Nice quiet swim. Wasn't concerned with pace at all. Just wanted to rack up 400 yards today. Happy with the progression this week.

2016-03-03 7:51 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

3/21 - Swim - 09m - 400.00 yards - 02m 15s /100 yards

0500 is turning out to be quite doable. Nice quiet swim. Wasn't concerned with pace at all. Just wanted to rack up 400 yards today. Happy with the progression this week.

Good job! I dreamed of swimming at 0500!

2016-03-03 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Hey Andrew were you the fella in the blue wetsuit?  What was the make, model, and size, if you don't mind.  I liked the fact that it wasn't just plain black.

LOL, if I had my way I'd have a wetsuit made to look like Aquaman, just for the laughs.

2016-03-03 11:46 AM

User image

Did a 5 machine workout of the legs in the gym. Feeling it today I am noticing how long it has been since i went to the gym. That was really felt in the water last night. I did 700 even though my watch said 600, it did not record the four laps of breast stroke. Kind of odd. Even though I have had this watch for sometime, I am still learning its quarks. The water felt good to get in, but this was the heaviest I have been and swam. It was a little intimidating. I swim at a YMCA, and their are other pools with other programs going on. I know it wasn't true but felt every eye on me. I got over myself and just swam. The life guard stopped me and said could I move to the faster lane. That felt a little good. Guess I was not as slow as I thought.

Tonight, Hoping ot hop on the bike after a dentist appointment we will see how well my face feels and if I can do it.

BTW great job out there keep it up.

John

2016-03-03 2:18 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Hey Andrew were you the fella in the blue wetsuit?  What was the make, model, and size, if you don't mind. 

Yes, that's me with the blue shoulders, the only one who still has goggles on.

The wetsuit is a blueseventy pivot, from wiggle.com Link: http://www.wiggle.co.nz/blueseventy-pivot-wetsuit-wiggle-exclusive/...

It's an XL, note that I'm 6 foot tall, and was about 247lbs on race day (according to the pre race weigh in) The suit isn't a perfect fit, it's a bit long on the arm and leg lengths, but also a bit tight across the stomach and shoulders. I can't get into it without some help. (But thats what you get trying to get into triathlon gear when your over weight like me) When I've lost some more weight, I'll probably be smaller size.

All that said, I brought it earlier this year, specifically for Wanaka. And am happy with my purchase. It's much more comfortable than my old cheapo wetsuit, and the collar is a better design and doesn't chafe my neck like the old one did. I also think it's faster... but have no way of proving that either way.
2016-03-03 2:55 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hey Andrew were you the fella in the blue wetsuit?  What was the make, model, and size, if you don't mind.  I liked the fact that it wasn't just plain black.

LOL, if I had my way I'd have a wetsuit made to look like Aquaman, just for the laughs.

That would be GREAT!

2016-03-03 2:56 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Originally posted by bulfrog

What a great job! I LOVE the smile on your face at the finish line. (I love the singlet, too!) Way to tough it out and keep going. That was one beautiful course, too. But damn, I looked at the elevation chart for that bike. WHOA! That would have made me cry!

I am going to take your advise and learn to fuel better, do more long bikes (and runs) and bricks. I have 2.5 or so months to get my act together to get to the end.

Proud of you, Man!

Thanks Yes, the elevation chart is painful, but it doesn't tell the wind story... it was worse than you think. If you're interested the shirt comes from scudopro.com I'm not sure if it's the fastest out there, but they have plenty of unique options. Good quality too, I've had that jersey for 4 years and it's still good as new. As for my taking my advice, that all sounds good, but don't prioritize bricks, they are quite over rated as a workout. You're much better to separate the workouts and get good quality runs and bikes in. Doing more bricks in training wouldn't have helped me at all. Note, I usually have no issue with running after a bike, assuming the bike was paced correctly.

Hmmm.... Not prioritizing bricks.. That goes against everything I have in my (pea-brained) mind. I am focusing mainly on getting the distances in as I want to make sure I can do them and feel they are fairly "easy". But, I feel I really have to have the ability to do BOTH the bike and run distance at the same time. and more than once or twice before I do this race. My run gets slow and my form goes all to hell in a hand basket after riding and I feel I need to overcome that hurdle. Especially for the projected 3 hour run I will have after the bike. Maybe I am wrong on this.

The problem is that there are a lot of conflicting view points out there on how to train. I always maintain there is no one right way, there are lots.

That said, what I have read on a lot of different sources, and what I believe is that when you run bricks, you're running on already tired legs (unless you didn't work hard enough on the bike!) so the quality of your run workout is compromised. This means you won't run well, and you wont get the benefits of your work out that you would if you did the workouts separately.

What a brick is best for is doing a short (10-15 minute run) to get used to the feeling of running with wobbly legs immediately after a bike. Any longer than that and your'e just running on fatigued legs, which is a different thing.

Like I said in my race report, we need to embrace the suck. a HIM run is not going to ever be fun or easy. If it is you need to speed up! The main thing to do is make sure you're biking easy (Not what I did). On a coaches (I forget where) website I read a brilliant quote.

"If you under bike you have 21.1km to make up the time, if you over bike that mistake has 21.1km to express itself"

Are you saying that you intend to do 90km bike/21km run brick workouts multiple times before your HIM? I don't think you would find a coach or workout plan anywhere that would promote that. The recovery time you would need after a day like that would seriously compromise your training.

You might want to do full half marathon distance running in training, and you definitely want to do full (possibly over) distance rides in training. But not together. Probably not even the same week.
2016-03-03 3:05 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I went to the pool today and got my 2500 yards in. No matter what I do, short swim, slow swim, I swim the same pace: SLOW. I finally figured out what the deal is. I am a Manatee and that is just how Manatees swim.

2016-03-04 6:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Andrew, I looked at the size charts for blueseventy and they are typical of everything else I look at, not even close.  For right now I am simply going to avoid races where I might need the wetsuit, or maybe try to use a scuba wetsuit I will be buying this summer.  Not the best option, but better than nothing.

Robin, I happen to think that manatees are serene and graceful creatures.  And for what it is worth, I agree with Andrew, doing HIM distance bricks would be insane, and I believe counter-productive.  Maybe an HIM bike followed by a 10 minute jog, or a 10 minute bike followed by an HIM jog, but I would definitely not try to do them in the same week.  Athletes our sizes are much more prone to overuse or stress injuries.  ETA:  By the way, remember that it is believed that manatees are the basis for mermaid myths.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2016-03-04 6:55 AM

2016-03-04 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Ugh...I have to apologize in that I have been lurking and hoping that your posts would help me get my mojo back but time to fess up. I have ZERO motivation to get back to training although on the occasion when I do exercise I feel great for the rest of the day. I am in pretty constant state of discomfort with the Achilles and realize it is now a chronic issue rather than an injury to recover from. I am SOOO frustrated and have no idea how to get motivated again. I am signed up for two races aquavelo, one of which is in May so you would think that would be the kick in the pants I need but right now it is just stressing me out more.

How have you overcome lack of motivation?
2016-03-04 12:04 PM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by Fechter99How have you overcome lack of motivation?
Randi, I am so sorry to hear of your Achilles.  I lost my 2014 season to a lack of motivation.  I wish I had some words of wisdom to share with you, but I really don't.  I found that time helped.  And the scare with Kevin earlier this year sort of pushed me into those 0500 swims.

The only thing I might suggest is to find yourself a race for a cause.  Perhaps the cause will be sufficient to help.

2016-03-04 12:24 PM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

Randi, I don't have a direct answer for you. I have what finally got me off my but this Winter. I committed to my girlfriend to lose weight and we made it a bet. She in turn took that bet to her office and has started her office on a six month be healthy campaign. This all happened this week. Our bet is coinciding that we are going to Hawaii in August and have to lay by the pool. I barely can go to the Y and take off my shirt there. BUT I did and I felt great for swimming. Also, it is encouraging when those directly around you join in on trying to be healthy. These post are great, but when you are at lunch and your co-worker says let's go to Wendy's and get a salad it is way more helpful than going to In and Out for Double Doubles.

Achilles injuries suck, badly, I dealt with one for almost 9 months. It was a strain not torn, and it just would not heal. It seemed as soon as I healed that part of my body I developed bi-lateral PF. So, it didn't hurt to run, but it would take me two to three days to recover from 5k of running. So, what was my magic pill. For me, it was fuzzy socks. Winter socks I bought at Sam's. It worked. I still am not sure completely why, but it did.

Also, i would encourage you not to try to do it all at once. Set a plan. Small bites, GO out for 30 minutes. Then do it again, and again.

And Always, Have Fun

J
2016-03-04 12:30 PM

User image

Last night, (after a dental appointment with 4 cavities) rode with a friend for 13+ miles. I sucked, but ti was fun. We are both using each other for support right now, she has a little cancer scare happening, and I am trying to get back on the horse. I felt like I was pedaling in mud. But we did it and she did not let me quit.

Also, kept my calories under control, and working on losing that weight. Mentioned in another post I now am in a friendly bet with my girlfriend on who can lose the most weight by our trip to Hawaii. She loses cash, and I lose control. It's a perfect bet, my friends around me understand me losing control over "The Plan" is a big deal.

Resting tonight, Light yard work tomorrow, and 1/2 marathon Sunday. Hoping to get my time back down last one was pitiful for me. No Pr expected, but at least see improvement from my January 1/2.

May or may not be back on till Monday, have a safe and great weekend in everything you do.

Have Fun,

J
2016-03-05 6:57 PM
in reply to: #5158491

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Have a great race.

2016-03-06 2:46 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Hi All

Another week without a swim but I've been for a swim today (Monday morning).

Last week I had 4 runs, 1 bike, 1 gym and another game of golf. I'm starting to see some improvements in my overall fitness and strength and enjoying the simplicity of running IE put your running shoes on and go.

I read an interesting article during the week. The theme was improve your strength to improve your performance to improve weight / fat loss to gain results.

Thanks to Bulfrog for highlighting the need to get active in the pool. Now that I'm on track with the bike and the run I'll focus on my swim. I'm going to check out a Masters (adult) swim group during the week.

I hope everybody is enjoying their training.
2016-03-06 6:52 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Saturday

4/21 - Walk - 1h 13m 13s - 3.70 miles - 19m 47s /Mi

I'm on "Grandpas Duty" this weekend. We have the 2½ yr old grandson while the other one and his parents at Cub Scout Winter Camp. I bundled him up in his coat and stroller and took him with me for a longish walk. You know how much I hate Hillside Drive? Well, I hate it even more pushing a stroller up it!

Sunday

5/21 - Bike - 49m 52s - 9.00 miles - 10.83 Mi/hr

Anybody want to REALLY increase the difficulty of their "easy" workouts? You can either push a 35 lb kid in a stroller on your run or you can clamp one of those tag-along trailers to the back of your bicycle. That will do the trick. Took Robbie for two laps around the River Rd today. He enjoyed it a lot more than I did.  Couldn't really let if fly downhill because I was worried about losing control, and couldn't crank uphill because of the extra 50-60 lbs of kid and trailer.

2016-03-06 7:39 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys,

A light, easy week for me, easing back into things after the HIM.

6 runs (3x20, 2x40, 1x60) for 3:20 and a disastrous bike ride on Saturday. My bike was untouched sine the HIM, and somehow I got 3 punctures on the rear tire in 30 minutes of riding. I haven't had a decent look to see if there is something wrong with the wheel, but I'm just so glad that whatever was going on, it happend now, not last time I rode, which was of course in the HIM.

Weight wise, well, it was not a good week nutritionally. Ate way too much bad food. so unsurprisingly ended up 2lbs up for the week.

This week the plan is to continue to build back up to my normal training load. Aiming for 6 runs again (3x25, 2x50, 1x60) 1 bike ride for a couple of hours on the weekend, and 2 swims before work. Should end up around 6.5 hours for the week if everything goes to plan.

The diet should also be good. My wife has decided she wants to lose some weight so is doing the 'fit girl 28 day challenge' So we'll be eating to that meal plan. Should be nice n healthy.
2016-03-06 7:40 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Sunday

5/21 - Bike - 49m 52s - 9.00 miles - 10.83 Mi/hr

So by my count, that means you've done at least 1 workout every day so far this month? I like the consistency. Keep it up man.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 23

RELATED POSTS

Seeking MENTORS for 2016 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 1337 Posts: 4

2015-12-23 10:29 PM alicefoeller

2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37

Started by chirunner134
Views: 43267 Posts: 914

2016-01-08 2:46 PM ceilidh

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 56521 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Weight loss then fitness or weight loss and fitness

Started by rnp70
Views: 2178 Posts: 14

2012-07-03 10:18 AM KeithH

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
Views: 8970 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 16, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Fuel sensibly and avoid undermining your fitness for weight loss

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?