BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2007-02-09 12:31 PM
in reply to: #685170

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL

Believe it or not, hills helped me as it strengthened my legs and also increased the cardio. Just be careful that you don't over do it, as I think that is how I hurt my Achilles by putting more strain on the tendon, especially if it is a fairly steep hill.

Also, speed work does help. If you can run with someone else and race each other for the 1/2 lap that Steve mentioned, it helps and it makes the run seem less arduous.

Good news about the swim though. Swimming in open water is a little different and will take a bit to get used to. But swimming the distance is half the battle next get into the open water and go for it.

2007-02-09 12:34 PM
in reply to: #685267

User image

Veteran

Curling tonight, 5 - 7 then probably do a session on the trainer tomorrow morning.

Sunday morning a longish run, 12 - 18k depending on what everyone else is doing and the temperature.

Weather is supposed to be better this weeked, with high of -5c on Sunday.

After all that, my bottle of wine and relaxing on Sunday evening.

2007-02-09 1:02 PM
in reply to: #645139

Searcy, AR
Well, I'd like to get out and run a little bit, but I'm at home taking care of a sick family. So, I don't know if I will be able to get out. Oh well, we'll see...
2007-02-09 1:24 PM

User image

swbkrun - 2007-02-09 11:35 AM

What is everyone's plans this weekend?

I'm about to do a Spinervals DVD right now. It's the 2.0 Time Trial Special one, with some dude named Troy Jacobson. I've never done it before, but it looks pretty good. I'll let you all know if it whoops my butt.

Benson
2007-02-09 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia

swbkrun - 2007-02-09 12:35 PM What is everyone's plans this weekend?

I think I am going to just fall over and sleep for the entire weekend!  I wish... heh, heh, heh. 

We (hubby and kiddos) are going to a party tonight with neighborhood friends.  For the rest of the weekend... My hubby has classes all day on Saturday.  So I did some exploring and found a local rec center that has an awesome indoor pool with water slides, lazy river, water guns and tons of lifeguards.  Plan on taking my kids tomorrow and burning off some of their pent up energy.  It's been so cold here lately that they haven't been able to get outside to play.  I'll get a long bike ride on the trainer in tomorrow and then a long run 8-9 miles on Sunday.  I need to catch up on some sleep and get ready for another push at work.  Another big project due on the 27th... 

Have a great weekend everyone!  Stay warm if it's cold where you are. 

2007-02-09 5:09 PM
in reply to: #685456

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
DscoNfrno - 2007-02-09 11:24 AM

I'm about to do a Spinervals DVD right now. It's the 2.0 Time Trial Special one, with some dude named Troy Jacobson. I've never done it before, but it looks pretty good. I'll let you all know if it whoops my butt.

Benson

It I remember correctly. It does whip your butt. Lots of high gears (I THINK?)...

2007-02-09 7:52 PM
in reply to: #685799

User image

swbkrun - 2007-02-09 5:09 PM

DscoNfrno - 2007-02-09 11:24 AM

Benson

It I remember correctly. It does whip your butt. Lots of high gears (I THINK?)...

Butt whooping complete. You're right. Lots, and lots, of high gears. I couldn't keep up the cadence he was recommending on a lot of it. Also, some mechanical issues (front dereileur sp?) kept me in some higher gears than where I needed to be for part of it.

Tomorrow, bike / run brick. Sunday, run.

Benson
2007-02-10 3:23 PM

User image

Subject: This weekend
Went for a 4.5 mile run this morning...last night was low key after a long week. Tonight I'm going downtown for some fun and then I'll lift and possibly ride the bike for a bit tomorrow. I also have to research, outline, and write a paper, but shouldn't be too hard. I wish I lived somewhere warmer right now.
2007-02-10 9:25 PM

Searcy, AR
Went for a short run today. Still trying to get back on track after being sick and having a hurt knee. The knee is better, but the energy is down. Guess that's what happens when everyone in your house but you has the flu. Luckily, I got a flu shot this year, but I still picked up a cold that hit me hard. Oh well, I'm thinking about going for another short run tomorrow.
2007-02-11 11:21 AM

User image

Veteran

Did my 10.59k this morning in cold weather again. Breathing for the first 15 minutes was laboured again due to the cold.

Here is a link to the motionbased view of my run today. All in all, was happy with the run today.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2066000

Off on a wine run this afternoon to stock up on some red wine for the next few months. 

2007-02-11 10:33 PM
in reply to: #686800

User image

Pro
richtherunner - 2007-02-11 9:21 AM

Did my 10.59k this morning in cold weather again. Breathing for the first 15 minutes was laboured again due to the cold.

Here is a link to the motionbased view of my run today. All in all, was happy with the run today.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2066000

Off on a wine run this afternoon to stock up on some red wine for the next few months. 

HEY IT WAS IN "ENGLISH!" I could read it. Good stuff. 15 degree's. That is crazy. I would stay indoors, but I AM A WIMP! Great job!

2007-02-12 11:29 AM
in reply to: #687286

User image

Beaverton, Oregon

Steve, I just looked at some of your website pics (http://picasaweb.google.com/swbkrun).

Very cool.  Best part is the pictures of your bike!  I love it.  Funny how we get attached to it, huh?  Especially after we spend hours of time forcing it to perform flawlessly like that.

Okay, general question:  Who has named their bike?  And/or who has given it a gender?

I'll start.  I haven't named my MT bike, but I love her.  She takes care of me and I treat her right.

2007-02-13 9:15 PM

User image

Subject: Training Log Comments and Injury
So I've gotten some comments on my training log, but I don't know if you guys are getting my response to the comments. Can anyone tell me exactly how that works? If I click "reply" when I view the comments does it go directly to you some how?

Also, I seem to have injured myself and want to know if anyone has had this happen before and what the remedy was. I ran hard Sunday. Then Monday at about lunch the right side of my right foot started hurting me. It kind of originates on the bottom of my foot around my little toes and wraps around the outside towards my ankle. I think I might have bruised the bottom of my foot somehow because it doesn't hurt nearly as bad when I wear my running shoes as when I have on my work shoes.

Anyhow, I know a little rest will help it. I don't have another run until Saturday. But it sure is frustrating hobbling around the office and people asking "What did you do?"

Thanks for any input.

Benson
2007-02-13 9:22 PM
in reply to: #689930

User image

Veteran
Canyon, TX
Subject: RE: Training Log Comments and Injury
DscoNfrno - 2007-02-13 9:15 PM

Also, I seem to have injured myself and want to know if anyone has had this happen before and what the remedy was. I ran hard Sunday. Then Monday at about lunch the right side of my right foot started hurting me. It kind of originates on the bottom of my foot around my little toes and wraps around the outside towards my ankle. I think I might have bruised the bottom of my foot somehow because it doesn't hurt nearly as bad when I wear my running shoes as when I have on my work shoes.

I had the same thing happen to me last year. Mine hurt the most right where my leg bone met my foot. I went to see the trainer at the school I worked at and she told me I probably injured the tendon on the top of my foot. I stayed off of it for about a week and it healed fine. When I did it, it hurt so bad I could hardly walk.
2007-02-13 9:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia

DscoNfrno - 2007-02-13 10:15 PM  Also, I seem to have injured myself and want to know if anyone has had this happen before and what the remedy was. I ran hard Sunday. Then Monday at about lunch the right side of my right foot started hurting me. It kind of originates on the bottom of my foot around my little toes and wraps around the outside towards my ankle. I think I might have bruised the bottom of my foot somehow because it doesn't hurt nearly as bad when I wear my running shoes as when I have on my work shoes. Anyhow, I know a little rest will help it. I don't have another run until Saturday. But it sure is frustrating hobbling around the office and people asking "What did you do?" Thanks for any input. Benson

Benson - Rest it, ice it and take something like Advil (if you have no other medical conditions/problems with taking Advil)  to help with the inflammation.  Do this particulary after coming in from work or being up on your foot for any length of time.  Try to avoid those shoes that make your pain worse.  If you have pain on your next bike session, you will probably want to cut it short.  Swimming of course, is great b/c it's non-weight bearing.  See how you're feeling Friday before going out on that run on Saturday.   I tend to agree with Jaredog... it sounds like strained tendons.  Keep us updated.

2007-02-13 9:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia

DscoNfrno - 2007-02-13 10:15 PM So I've gotten some comments on my training log, but I don't know if you guys are getting my response to the comments. Can anyone tell me exactly how that works? If I click "reply" when I view the comments does it go directly to you some how? Benson

I saw that you responded to my comments in your log.  Take a look down the left side of your training log under the graphs, monthly totals, etc.  You should see a section called BLOGGED!  When someone posts a reply to an inspire you left you'll see a notice in this section. 

Hang in there with your foot! BTW, I've got plenty of ice outside if you need some.  Brrrr!

2007-02-13 10:07 PM

User image

So I know this is unrelated, but I find it pretty entertaining. My brother lives in KC and is training for his first marathon. On Saturday, the day after his birthday, he decided to go for about 10 mile run and changed up his route a bit. Well, he took a couple wrong turns and just kept running. SO, a couple hours later he finally made it back to his place and used google earth to find that he had accidently ran 16 miles! I mean, he gives me some motivation, but I will give at the 16 mile mark! Right now St. Louis' roads are in shambles thanks to a whopping 4 inches of snow...so I am stuck on a tread mill for a couple days. Hope everyone's week is starting out well!

Adam
2007-02-13 10:48 PM

User image

Veteran
It may be Plantars Facaitis? That's the tendon on the base of the foot and it could be the beginning of it? Google it ans see if this is the same symptoms.
2007-02-14 6:33 AM

User image

Subject: Injury
Thanks for everyones input into my foot problem. I'm hoping a little rest will take care of it, even though it is still hurting like a son-of-a-gun this morning. I guess I'll stick with my bike and swimming until then.

Hope everyone is having a great week. And a Happy Valentine's Day to everyone too!

Benson
2007-02-14 7:44 PM

User image

Veteran

Another good training run. almost 6k in 35 minutes in snowy conditions. Had quite the dumping of snow today, well not as bad as Upper New York state, so running was like running on a beach.

Again it was pretty cold, but is supposed to be in the -20c tonight overnight and -30's for wind chill tomorrow morning. Not looking forward to the early morning drive to work tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a great Valentines.

2007-02-14 7:52 PM

User image

Pro
WAY TO GO! I can't even get outside if it is raining! You are a man among boys, and girls here!

2007-02-14 7:55 PM
in reply to: #691140

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
Rich - Everytime I want to complain about running in the cold, I just shut my mouth and think about you.  Way to rock it in the snow today!  I didn't swim, bike or run today, but boy I did shovel me some ice and snow.    I am tired, tired, tired tonite.  Gonna watch some Idol and Lost and probably fall asleep doing it.  Hope everyone had a Happy Valentine's Day!
2007-02-15 5:09 AM
in reply to: #691152

User image

Veteran

Thanks Jan, yeah I hear you about the snow. I shovelled for an hour before my run. When I was running I felt some tightness in the lower back on the left side. But so far this morning (only just had my shower etc), it is feeling fine.

Have a good day all.

2007-02-15 7:37 AM

Searcy, AR
Shoveling snow? What's that? I don't even think you can find a snow shovel in Arkansas.
2007-02-15 12:06 PM

User image

Beaverton, Oregon

It snowed here once this winter.  :-)

I don't mind it except, because of the hills, you really have to watch out for icy spots.  Running can be dicey especially when going downhill or crossing the street.

I ran the treadmill ONCE this winter.  I didn't like it.  For some reason it was really hard on my shins. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  

of 21