BT Development Mentor Program Archives » David Gillen's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2007-05-25 4:45 PM
in reply to: #801094

User image

Mesquite, Texas
Subject: RE: David Gillen's Group - FULL
Wow what a ride. I guess you'll have an opening in your group after I give this a shot this weekend, but hey, your're the boss.

2007-05-25 7:35 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
Awful lot of drafting going on.  They would have been dq in a few minutes.
2007-05-26 5:27 PM

User image

Expert
Kind of fun to watch bikers. Guess I'm insane enough to fit in with the group of insane bike messengers.....I watched a Utube of mountain biking pub to pub in Ireland awhile back that someone from my velo club sent. It looked soooo fun! You could see small castles in the background, and an Irish dude was speaking (love that dialect) and they were going on these tiny narrow paths around mountains (really really steep ones) and even had to jump over huge cracks on that narrow mountain path. My hands were sweating just watching it! Of course the pubs were interesting footage too......

I didn't post yesterday because it was a busy Friday, then I had to go watch my daughter, Micah's kindergarten graduation and spring program yesterday. She couldn't see me in the audience due to the light shining in her eyes, and thought I didn't make it, so she cried through her whole singing program! Poor thing! Then, to make matters worse, I had her and her brother Noah in the office afterwards (Noah was excused from class to watch her graduation, too, so he actually LIKED having a little sister yesterday!) and they were playing on the big exercise ball and she bonked her nose hard! Pretty sure it's broken! She bled like a stuck pig and it is still very sore today and a bit swollen. Not disfigured, though, so we'll probably just leave it to heal. Not the best day......

Swam today at the Y. Another rainy day. I'm doing a challenge of at least one mile a week for 25 weeks as a sympathy swim. There's a group from the Minneapolis YWCA that are swimming the 25 mile English Channel to raise money for kids of color to get swim lessons. So, some of us are doing a sympathy swim in their honor. I'll have to count up my miles, but I've done it since April and I try to swim at least that a week. Today I swam 1750. A little slower with my 400's. Couldn't break 8.5 minutes. Oh well.

I'm ditching my Nike 180's. At first I loved them, but the more I run in them, the more I find them too bindy and too supportive. That probably sounds weird, but that's the way it is for me now. I've been working hard to strengthen my adductors because I underpronate, or walk on the outsides of my feet. I took the Chi running seminar and have been doing butterfly kicks and some other stuff to try to correct that imbalance, and now the shoes that helped correct the underpronation are becoming a nuisance. I think that's a good thing, actually. So, I'm sending them to a friend who loves Nike's and wears the same size (they were expensive and have that chip thingy for the Ipod mileage). And I got some Saucony's today. I also got the gel insoles, but don't know if I like them yet or not. I'll have to experiment. Do any of you guys wear any extra "cush" in your shoes???? Even sprang for some Nike running socks. Woo-hoo! Figured I'd better get that comfortable shoe/sock thing down now before the June 10 tri. If your feet hurt, you hurt all over! And I'll start logging their mileage

I'm hating that aerobic zone for the run. Just seems so impossibly slow. So I cheated a bit yesterday and ran 1.5 miles as fast as I wanted. Then it took over a mile of walking to get my heart rate down where it is supposed to be!! Mercy. Ended up being slower than if I had just done the 5K all in aerobic, I think. So, lesson learned. I'll go back to behaving!

Plan on doing the sweat test for the run this weekend. My lawn is mowed, the garbage is hauled to the dump, my dishes are done, I can find my kitchen table top and walk without stepping on lego pieces, and my laundry pile is diminishing! Took the kids swimming today, too, and then to McDonalds to run off some energy, as it's another rainy day today. I have two whole days to find my living room floor and couch (we are talking serious mess in there yet!) and get some training done. I'm happy!!!!

What do you think of the Garmin ghost rider feature for the bike??? How useful is that, really? I still think I'd be happier with a power meter of some sort, but know nothing about the Ibike vs. ergomo. Of course, ergomo is the gold standard, but is it really that much better? There is also a waterproof GPS device that I found so you can track yardage/mileage in a lake as well as bike and run. It's just now available in the US for about $159 and would have features similar to the Garmin as far as elevation and such, I think. I don't know. A person can get all tech weenied out with this stuff. BUT, it would be NICE to know just how far you have gone in that lake, so if you know you can safely swim a mile, you head back at the half mile mark! I almost got the Taiwan guys to give me one to test market for free, but when they checked with the US branch, they wouldn't go for it. Stupid American Capitalist Pigs!!! The Taiwanese dude was all excited that a Tri chick would test market it and promote it for them!! They hadn't considered it for the swim--it was originally designed for water skiing and sailing and such.

Well, have a happy Memorial day weekend!!!!

Armydad, I've been wondering JUST exactly what the story behind that moose avatar is..........
2007-05-27 8:55 PM

User image

Expert
Everyone must be out enjoying the long weekend! I know I'm loving it. I think we should petition for three day weekends all year long. Just think what we could accomplish! My house is rather clean, I'm having fun doing stuff with the kids, I actually spent time with a friend, AND got some exercise done!

I'm reading Eric Harr's book, Training for a Triathlon in Four Hours a Week, that a friend just lent me. Pretty basic stuff, but I found some inspiration in it! As it turns out, Eric's MOTHER was a triathlete, and his HERO. Wow! Just what I needed to hear. He says it's okay to involve your kids in your workouts and he actually coached a woman with the contingency that she involve her three daughters in all her workouts, and her kids actually did her tri WITH her!! Or at least parts of it. He also advocated the extra wheel on the bike to make it a tandem for your kid! We go slow, but it's still power building. My daughter was on board today with me because both boys actually fell asleep! So we just tooled around town for about 5 miles, but some of those inclines were really something! All that extra weight behind sort of adds up!

Today was one of those days where I was just plain tired. My legs felt very heavy, and I even had to take a nap. Took the kids to a special park and treated them to pizza. Beautiful day, so I made myself just go out and move my body. I ended up biking 10 and running 2 even on such an off day. Eric says you'll have those days and to expect that your body goes through rhythms. When you have an off day, you aren't supposed to push hard. I didn't. Just went through the motions of moving those legs and tried to have fun with it.

It turns out my littlest son put a screw in my bike trainer and that's why it wasn't working too well. Thank goodness for friends who can fix stuff

I made an appointment to have my tribike looked over next week to make sure everything is tip top for June 10. If they have to readjust something, I'll have a few days to get used to it. They get busy this time of year. There are 275 people registered for my tri and a lot of them are locals who want their bikes tuned up. So, if you have a tri scheduled, don't forget to make your tune up appointment ahead of time!

Anyway, just sharing that things are feeling more balanced for me these days. I think I've sort of crossed over into an easier time with this. For now, at least. Adding more and more miles might be more challenging than I think. But while reading that book, I realized that I'm not really SUCH a newbie anymore. I know more than I realize and am not exactly training lightly. It's ALWAYS more than 4 hours a week. In fact, it's actually around 9-10 hours a week currently. Not including all the driving to get to the places to work out.....

One last note: Eric talks about Plateau's. He says your body will get used to the way you train and will adapt to that such that you fail to make further progress. Your weight stays the same, your speed stays the same, your energy levels stay the same, etc.... The cure is to recognize it as a plateau and then push harder at that time. Go longer with your runs, do more tempo swims, do one-legged intervals on the trainer, do more hills for power. Stuff like that. Just throw another curve ball for your body so it gets off that plateau and you see more progress. And I suppose that would be the time to do more mental training, too. Read other forums, get a good inspiring book, go hear the Hoyt's speak, attend a tri club meeting or go meet some single sporters and watch their form. I guess there are people who just go watch the master's swim classes and get something from that.

One more day of fun before going back to reality!
2007-05-27 9:21 PM
in reply to: #818943

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Anyway, just sharing that things are feeling more balanced for me these days. I think I've sort of crossed over into an easier time with this. For now, at least. Adding more and more miles might be more challenging than I think. But while reading that book, I realized that I'm not really SUCH a newbie anymore. I know more than I realize and am not exactly training lightly. It's ALWAYS more than 4 hours a week. In fact, it's actually around 9-10 hours a week currently.

9-10 hrs/week WOW. I had no idea you were training that much.  For the last 6 month of training before my IM last year I averaged 11 hrs/week.  Granted I had a couple 18 hour weeks, but I think the consistent training pays off more than the big weeks.  

So yes, Pene, you are not a beginner any more, and I'm glad you don't fee like one.  You certainly seem to have a real interest and passion for this, and that it was it takes to take it to next level (HIM and IM).  I  

One last note: Eric talks about Plateau's. He says your body will get used to the way you train and will adapt to that such that you fail to make further progress.

This is true, but remember that it will take months before you realize the full benefit of aerobic (Long Slow Distance LSD) training in zone 2.  Pene, I know you get frustrated running in zone 2; a lot of people do.  But, try to stick with it as it's very important for century and marathon training. 

Trust me you can actually get fast training slow in zone 2.  After taking a couple of months of active recovery after my IM last September, I trained hard (i.e., more workouts above zone 2) for just one month, and then I set THREE PRs in December (5K, 10K, and Half Marathon!)  I credit this success to all my zone 2 training before my IM.

2007-05-28 8:57 AM

User image

Expert
Thanks, David, for the encouragement. I used to think I had to swim-bike-run or lift weights to log my training and have it count. Since then, I've realized that every time you go out and move your body--it counts! My job is NOT a desk job. I stand bent forward over people all day using my upper body to push on them and massage out their muscles and such. When I sit, it is still sitting at their head, working the cranial bones or doing occipital lifts and neck massage. People think my fingers are made of steel. They aren't, I just know where to apply pressure effectively. But my point is that it isn't a desk job. And running after my kids isn't easy either. They beg me to sit on the couch with them, and I usually don't! So, I DO count all the "play" I do with them in my logs--frisbee, hula hoops, basketball, jumprope, pulling them around the yard on a sled (good weight training) or just going on a walk. It all adds up! (But I don't count my work in my logs, or it would go sky high!!).

My son, Noah, the 9 year old who did the duathlon, asked me if he could please get a computer on his bike and a trainer of his own so we can sit side by side and have races!! I love it!! I think that will take economic priority now. His dad was actually a very gifted mountain biker dude and did Davenport to Iowa City and back again on the interstate a few times a week (about 120 miles there and back). Plus, all over the quad cities, even in the middle of winter. And Noah's mom isn't turning out to be such a bad biker, either, so I have high hopes that he might really be something one day!! You never know. I'll support him if he wants to be a couch potato, too, but I sincerely doubt that will happen. The kid never stops moving, not even in his sleep.

Don't worry, David, I'll behave and do aerobic zone. I am very acutely aware that my engine is a long way from built!! But give me a year..........

2007-05-28 9:19 AM

Connecticut
I did my first 5k yesterday in 24:40. I wanted to average under an 8 minute mile for the race and just barely did it. My splits were as follows: mile 1 8:04, mile 2 7:15, mile 3 7:57, final .1 1:23. Any suggestions on how to improve these times. I wanted to go out slow and finish strong but it seemed that I tuckered out on after mile 2. Anyway, I have a 5k in June and July working up to two tri's in september. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Kevin
2007-05-28 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Kevin, I think David will tell you to use your HR monitor and build your engine first. And I agree with that. However, I did buy an ebook for $97 about three weeks ago from speedexperts.com that is 13 different coaches' opinions and one month plans to increase SPEED with the run. I can tell you that alot of it is weight training, plyometrics, running drills like the ones they gave at my last seminar to increase flexibility. Also, get a mirror in front of your treadmill and watch your running form. If your form is inefficient, you lose time. I adjust animals, too, and at one of my animal chiropractic seminars, the teacher told us the secret to find a colt that will be a great race horse: you examine his legs for FLEXIBILITY. More flexibility=better efficiency=faster horse!!! So, I also have a Yoga for Endurance Athletes DVD that I try to do (but must confess haven't done nearly enough of). However, the dude at the endurance running seminar praised me for being rather flexible with the running drills, and when I compared myself to the others there, I had to agree. I'm not terrible with that, even though my hamstrings are another story...... Then the final piece of advice I have, is to strengthen your hip flexors for speed. There aren't many gym machines that will help with that unless yours has a hip rotation machine. So, we were told to get a chair who's seat is about your knee height and practice stepping up one leg at a time using your hip flexors and not recruiting other muscles or jumping to help you get up there. It is harder than you might think, and my left hip is weaker than my right. So, personally, I'm going to practice more left one-legged pedalling to help with that, too. And maybe it's silly, but I like doing knee up type "running" on the minitrampoline for hip flexors. Or at least that's where I feel it after being on the tramp. And I have a friend who runs 6 minute miles the whole marathon, and he says "if you want to run faster, you have to train faster". So, go do your intervals! BUT, you aren't allowed to look at my running times. I'm still very , very slow. My engine isn't built yet. I just figured I might as well do what I could with strength training, form and flexibility, too!! And I am now thinking I need to work more on breathing exercises. What gets measured usually improves. So, if you get a spirometer and test your breathing "power", you might be surprised with that, too. There is a betterbreathingexercises.com website where a woman will sell you exercises to use more of your ribcage muscles and increase lung capacity, too. I didn't buy her ebook yet, even though it's like $20. But I subscribed to her little email deal and she sort of gives you a lot of the info for free in pieces that way. I just know I need to sit and practice deep breathing more often and maybe start logging it under Misc. so I remember to do so. But, I personally think the swim helps with aerobic conditioning and breathing and helps my run. We are lucky to have all the benefits of cross training. One sport helps each of the others in a wonderful way.

Besides, I'd kill for your 5K time right now! Give yourself some credit! You are kicking butt!!! Just be patient and keep running and in no time you'll be faster My heartfelt congratulations to you, Kevin!!
2007-05-28 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
P.S. David, I did the sweat test on the bike today. I need to drink about a quart an hour if it's not hot out. But I'll probably step that up a bit for my tri as I'll be thirsty from the swim and need to hydrate up for the run. Sound reasonable? Aerobar water bottle is on order for me at the bike shop! I think it was about 32 ounces and has that nifty straw... If I'm feeling ambitious today, I hope to do the run sweat test, too. I really sweat with that, or at least it seems so.
2007-05-28 11:47 AM
in reply to: #819178

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

kevdia - 2007-05-28 9:19 AM I did my first 5k yesterday in 24:40. I wanted to average under an 8 minute mile for the race and just barely did it. My splits were as follows: mile 1 8:04, mile 2 7:15, mile 3 7:57, final .1 1:23. Any suggestions on how to improve these times. I wanted to go out slow and finish strong but it seemed that I tuckered out on after mile 2. Anyway, I have a 5k in June and July working up to two tri's in september. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Kevin

First of all, Awesome race Kevin.  You should be proud, 24:40 is a very respectable time, even if it wasn't your first 5K.

Secondly, you have absolutely the ride idea about wanting to run "negative splits" (i.e, each mile faster than the previous), and you almost did it.  I think you probably went to fast in mile 2 (7:15!).  Had you run something like a 7:40-7:45 2nd mile, you might have been able to run a 7:30 (or faster) final mile which would have given you your negative splits. 

Practice this in training but a slower paces.  For example, run a 8:30, then 8:15, and then shoot for 8:00 or lower on mile 3.   Running negative splits is a great training technique that will teach you to better pace yourself during races.

Pene is right about zone 2 workouts.  I'd like to see you work up to some "over-distances" (i.e, 5-6 mile runs) at much lower intensity (HR) than your 5K pace.  Keep it nice and easy for these longer runs.  

However, if you're focus is on 5Ks and sprint triathlons these season, I'd also suggest that at most once a week you try to do a track workout where you do some 400m repeats or intervals.   Run 400m at your 5K race pace or even a little faster, and then walk or slower jog 200 - 400m to recover.  Then repeat 3-4 times.  

Let me know if you have more questions about this. 

2007-05-28 11:52 AM
in reply to: #819209

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

phoenixrising404 - 2007-05-28 10:03 AM P.S. David, I did the sweat test on the bike today. I need to drink about a quart an hour if it's not hot out. But I'll probably step that up a bit for my tri as I'll be thirsty from the swim and need to hydrate up for the run. Sound reasonable? Aerobar water bottle is on order for me at the bike shop! I think it was about 32 ounces and has that nifty straw... If I'm feeling ambitious today, I hope to do the run sweat test, too. I really sweat with that, or at least it seems so.

Awesome, Pene!  I think you'll be glad you did this test as it will really help you know about much you should try to drink every hour on the bike, and yes please test it on the run too.  I bet you'll find it to be even higher.  Also, consider retesting when it's a little hotter or more humid out just so that you know how much you should be drinking in a variety of conditions.  You never know what you'll get on race day.  

Good job.  I'd venture a guess that most triathletes don't know their sweat rates, so this gives you a leg up on them.  Hydration is so important especially for long courses!

2007-05-28 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

On a personal note, I did my first triathlon in 8 months yesterday!  It was right in my town, 5 minutes from my house.  Very convenient.   I just did it has a warm up race to get me pumped up for Escape From Alcatraz this coming Sunday.

Race report here 

2007-05-28 1:05 PM

User image

Somerset, England
Hi all,
Been away for the weekend so have had to catch up on all the chat! Some good stuff posted since the last time I checked and some great reasons for taking up exercise at whatever level. Can't beat Pene's but save to say that my shorebased deskjob and associated sedentary lifestyle was a recipe for an overweight disaster movie and decided the only way to avoid super-sizing was to get my backside outside and get burning the calories. I have a fatal flaw in that I adore ice cream and chocolate so something had to give. Managed to kick the habit and found another in runnning/fitness! Why Tri? Well the high mileage running was beginning to take its toll on the body so needed to change it up a bit and cycling/swimming seemed to fit the bill and prevent me from breaking myself! Here I am and although a long way off competing in my first race, I feel that progress is being made.

Weather has been pants here over the long weekend so haven't managed to get out on the bike which has been extremely frustrating (I find it really irritating when I can't train and it makes me grumpy). Hope things will improve tomorrow so I can get some miles in. I will be practising my taxi/bus/street dodging moves in line with David's video - jeez was that for real? Nutters.......

I was reading an article on recovery drinks and smoothies seem to figure quite highly. Anyone have a view on this or any other ideas for recovery drinks? If smoothies are a good idea, anyone know where some decent recipes are?

Glad all are well and well done to those that raced this weekend - you all should be resting on your laurels when thinking about the number of people that can't be bothered to even try...

Cheers for now....
2007-05-28 1:09 PM

User image

Somerset, England
A quick message to David our mentor and Tri-god. Well done for coming first in your age group - what a fantastic effort!!! No pressure on us lot then to emulate our illustrious leader! Read the race report and saw your reference to a smoothie as well!

Great effort.
2007-05-28 1:09 PM

User image

Expert
Super, David!! First in your age group!!! I can't even imagine how great that must feel!!! In your race report, you say you wished you had done more speed work.....so how much would you recommend we do? The 15-25% of our workouts as the endurance people said??? Or more? And would you add it into each workout, but just by that percentage of the time? Or would you just do pure speed work intervals once a week or so? This is a question for me as some folks say to practice more speed to gain more speed, but I agree, for true endurance races, like marathons and IM's, keeping it in aerobic is crucial.....I only have one more tri scheduled this summer after June 10, then a 7 mile race and the aquathons with 1000 y swim and 5K runs. I suppose those races would be more geared for speed work.....more than half and full mary's and the century anyway.

I did the sweat test for the run, and it was basically the same as for the bike, interestingly. But the run was all F2 and not in super heat. I thought maybe I'd do an hour of boxing and call that my swim test. The Y is closed today and there's no way I'm swimming an hour in the lake with kids on shore...... of course, an hour of boxing is pretty darn intense! But it's mostly arms and it's quite aerobic!
2007-05-28 1:24 PM
in reply to: #819354

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

phoenixrising404 - 2007-05-28 1:09 PM Super, David!! First in your age group!!! I can't even imagine how great that must feel!!! In your race report, you say you wished you had done more speed work.....so how much would you recommend we do? The 15-25% of our workouts as the endurance people said??? Or more? And would you add it into each workout, but just by that percentage of the time? Or would you just do pure speed work intervals once a week or so? This is a question for me as some folks say to practice more speed to gain more speed, but I agree, for true endurance races, like marathons and IM's, keeping it in aerobic is crucial.....

Pene, you're getting very well educated these days.  I like it.  That is what I did to coach myself.  Read everything in sight!

One of my core training tenets is race specificity.  That simply means tailor your training to meet the demands of your race.  If you want to race a 5K fast, yes, you must train fast.  You should be doing track workouts and tempo runs.  However, if you want to finish a century or marathon strong, then you should be more concerned with endurance rather than speed.  Thus, in your case Pene, I would still recommend a high percentage of your workouts be in Z2.  However, if you wanted to mix in a few track workouts or tempo runs here and there to help you prepare you for your shorter races this summer, that would be fine.  Just don't over do it.  

For any of us here, I'd be really careful with the higher intensity (i.e., above zone 2) training as it feels good and is fun to do but can be harder to recover from.  I know this from experience.  Over the past 3-4 weeks, I've increased the intensity of my training by mixing in bike intervals and track workouts in an attempt to peak for my race this Sunday.  However, I over did it, got overtrained, and I could not do some of my most important workouts last week because I wasn't recovering properly.  I could tell this because my perceived exertion was really high compared to my HR.  So, please learn from my mistake and be careful with the fast stuff!

2007-05-28 1:34 PM
in reply to: #819353

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

PocketRocket - 2007-05-28 1:09 PM A quick message to David our mentor and Tri-god. Well done for coming first in your age group - what a fantastic effort!!! No pressure on us lot then to emulate our illustrious leader! Read the race report and saw your reference to a smoothie as well! Great effort.

Thanks Mike.  I'm a very strong believer in recovery shakes/smoothies.  I don't know if you can get Endurox in England, but if you can I'd recommend it.  I've used it the past 2 years and have loved it.  This year, for financial reasons, I'm trying to make my own recovery smoothie by mixing water, protein powder, maltodextrin (a complex carbohydrate), and some flavoring.   A couple of notes on recovery shakes:

1. Try to consume them within 15 minutes of finishing a long or tough workout
  2. Make sure they have plenty of high GI (Glycemic Index) carbs that will get rapidly absorbed into your bloodstream and muscles.
  3. Try to include some protein to help with muscle rebuilding.  Many people recommend a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein.   
2007-05-28 1:49 PM

User image

Expert
I have an interesting challenge for you all! For the rest of this week, through next Sunday, I'm going to wear my pedometer all day except for my swim-bike-runs to see just how many miles a day/week I put on! I think it may be a nice eye-opener for some of us, or maybe a way to challenge yourself to walk a bit more rather than drive or sit around. Just a thought........I'll report my steps next Sunday at around this time to see how it went. Anyone else in????
2007-05-28 3:06 PM

Connecticut
Thanks for the replies and suggestions..I appreciate it all. I plan on doing some track/interval work this month and hopefully it will result in a better race next month. thanks again for the feedback!
kevin
2007-05-28 3:28 PM

User image

Somerset, England
David,
Thanks for the info on smoothies, not sure we have the stuff you mentioned over here but I will have a look. I have a question that may be a bit dull. I am trying to build the cycling base up by 3/4 sessions a week all in Zone 2 to ensure proper levels of effort. How long should this stage last and how do I progress beyond this? How do you do speed work for cycling? I know how to balance tempo with speed for running but would welcome some ideas on 2 wheels.

Thanks...
2007-05-28 3:49 PM
in reply to: #807656

User image

Somerset, England
phoenixrising404 - 2007-05-19 3:37 AM

Speed Interval Workout #1:

The idea is to combine intervals which emphasize the various muscle types (fast twitch, slow twitch) in a specific order and with very careful attention to recovery during the workout so that you "recruit" fast twitch fibers to work in conjunction with slow twitch for greater overall power. And example of such a workout combines 8-10 full on sprints of 12 seconds, using high cadence (120rpm); between each sprint you spin easy to recover for a minimum of 3 minutes, after you complete the last sprint you do 10 minutes of easy recovery spinning before going to phase II. In phase II you do 6-10 one minute intervals done right at or slightly above threshold, use a high cadence (110 rpm). Recovery spin 6 minutes between each interval and do 15 minutes of easy spinning before starting the final set. The last phase is 3-4 2.5 minle endurance intervals at your race pace. High cadence again (90-100 rpm), with at least 6 minutes between each interval.

Speed interval #2:

The idea is to perform low cadence 50-70 rpm, high resistance intervals building to repeated 20 minute intervals. 4-6 intervals is the target per workout. Rest period between intervals is 3-5 minutes. Do no more than two intense interval workouts per week. 2 of these, or one of these and one of the muscle recruitment workout.

Overspeed Intervals:

After you have built speed/power doing the first two kinds of intervals, you need to ramp up your ability to go fast. One way to accomlish this is to participate in high intensity pack racing, especially criteriums such as Superweek. Motorpacing, although probably not legal, and definitely something that must be approached with careful attention to safety, is one way that professionals have prepared for thier most important events. You can also find a course where you ahve assistance reaching speeds above what you normally can maintain, examples would be down gradual grades and down wind. The idea is to push the speed envelope as high as you can, recover, and push again.

David, found these 2 sessions posted by Pene earlier in the thread.... Would you recommend these as a start?

2007-05-28 4:18 PM
in reply to: #819447

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

PocketRocket - 2007-05-28 3:28 PM David, Thanks for the info on smoothies, not sure we have the stuff you mentioned over here but I will have a look. I have a question that may be a bit dull. I am trying to build the cycling base up by 3/4 sessions a week all in Zone 2 to ensure proper levels of effort. How long should this stage last and how do I progress beyond this? How do you do speed work for cycling? I know how to balance tempo with speed for running but would welcome some ideas on 2 wheels. Thanks...

I'm assuming that your A race for this season is the London Duathlon on 09 Sep 07, right? and it has a 20K bike leg, right? And I'm also assuming that this will be the longest bike leg you have in any race this season, right? If I'm correct, then here's what I'd recommend:

1. Continue in with your zone 2 training building up to 30K or maybe even 40K. This might take a couple of months. Let's say by the end of July you can ride about 30K reasonably comfortably staying in zone 2, then...
  2. Spend August working on speed and getting faster at that 20K distance. 20K in zone 2 should feel easy at this point, but 20K in zone 3 will be tough. I wouldn't recommend trying to ride 20K in zone 3, but rather try some short (3-5 minutes) intervals where you push the intensity up to zone 3 and 4, and then have rest interval. By all means, feel free to try the workouts that Pene listed, but the basic idea is the same, simple one as running: Go relatively hard and fast for a short amount of time then recover and repeat.
  3. Try to get in one brick (run then bike or bike then run) workout a week. These will typically be the toughest workouts you do, so be sure to be well rested before them and recover well afterwards. However, they do a great job in preparing you for a duathlon. Start by simply running for 10 minutes or so after a ride. Nothing fast, just get used the feeling of running on tired legs. Then we can build up and do some longer and faster bricks as you get closer to your A race date.
Does this make sense? Did I answer your question?

Edited by dgillen 2007-05-28 4:38 PM
2007-05-28 6:03 PM

User image

Expert
June 10 sprint tri is in 13 days. How in the world does a person taper? What would still be useful to do in these last days, other than perhaps another OWS and another time on the bike course. I haven't actually run the course yet, either and thought I should once just in case they threw a hill in there somewhere. Would it be okay to spend like three days sort of hitting it hard in aerobic Zone on bike/run and then lay off after that? The last 10 days I figured I'd mostly do stretching, mental training, deep breathing and some walking. I don't want to quit moving my body entirely......And what if anything, do you do nutrition wise in this time?
2007-05-28 7:38 PM

User image

Expert
Okay, I'm back on my Udo's oil (was off it for a few days--sound of slapping hands--bad Phoenix, bad, bad). And my energy was pretty good today, as I just did my third sweat test, this time for boxing. I also did the lactate threshold for it. It looks like lactate threshold is around 140 and my comfortable F2 is about 120. I lose 12 ounces of water in an hour of boxing. This was quite a surprise for me! I expected it to be a higher HR and more sweat. But, I've been boxing for pretty much exactly one year now and my conditioning has improved an amazing amount. I never used to be able to punch an hour and the sweat would just roll, and my breathing was all labored and my punches got progressively weaker. Not any more! If I can progress as much with the swim-bike-run in a year's time (it's been about 5 months now), I'll be SET! I hardly have any labored breathing now with boxing and it just feels great. I'm sooo much stronger now, too. At least in my arms. Although that can improve, too!

Any of you army/law enforcement or other guys do any boxing??? If they had a Quadrathon that included it, I'd do it in a millisecond

Okay, I promise--I'm done posting for the day!!!
2007-05-28 9:33 PM
in reply to: #819539

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

phoenixrising404 - 2007-05-28 6:03 PM June 10 sprint tri is in 13 days. How in the world does a person taper? What would still be useful to do in these last days, other than perhaps another OWS and another time on the bike course. I haven't actually run the course yet, either and thought I should once just in case they threw a hill in there somewhere. Would it be okay to spend like three days sort of hitting it hard in aerobic Zone on bike/run and then lay off after that? The last 10 days I figured I'd mostly do stretching, mental training, deep breathing and some walking. I don't want to quit moving my body entirely......And what if anything, do you do nutrition wise in this time?

You don't need a big taper for a sprint triathlon.  Just don't do any super long or super hard workouts that will take you too long to recover from.   If anything you could shorten your workouts a little, but try to go a little faster when you do them.  And I'd keeping do them until about 3 days prior.   Since you're race is on a Sunday, I'd do an easy workout on Th, take Friday completely off, and then do a short 20-30 bike, followed by 10 minute run on Saturday AM just to keep you loose and mentally sharp.   You're not going to improve your fitness in the last 3 days.  It's all mental training at that point. 

Don't overdue the carbo loading either.  Just eat normally, but try to trade a little fat some more carbs.  That's all.  Minimize fiber the last day also.  Also, stay hydrated too.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » David Gillen's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 36