Big Kahuna Race Productions
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 01m 35s
Overall Rank = 5/89
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/23
Pre-race routine:

Got there way to early, but at least I got to rack my bike at a good location. Jogged around a bit, and tried to get my foot pod to work to no avail. So I took it off.
Event warmup:

I was carefully to keep drinking pre-race as I knew that I wouldn't be taking in many fluids during the race. This was a good idea. I also took a GU at about 7:45.
Swim
  • 03m 46s
  • 200 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first pool swim in a race, and my first swim at a reverse tri. I remembered to put my goggles on as I was running to the pool, but when I got there I didn't know how to enter. So I just kind jumped in feet first and started to swim without kicking off the wall. I think I probably should have dove in. First 50 felt fine, and it was actually refreshing to be cooled off a little in the water. However, I slowed quite a bit after than as my form deteriorated quickly. Also, I didn't quite know how to duck under the lane lines, but I got better at this with each one. One guy was behind me the whole swim, and I was carefully to swim to once side of the lane so he could pass me if he wanted. I didn't quite know the etiquette here, but I thought I'd be nice. He hit my feet a couple of times with his hands, but he never passed.

I banged my knee pretty good getting out of the pool, and it's still a little sore today, but I'll be fine. Overall, pretty good swim.
What would you do differently?:

Dive in, and swim a lot harder given it was only 200 yards.
Transition 1
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

This was a transition from run to bike. Pulled off my visor, put on my helmet and I was off. This was bar far my fastest transition ever. Simplicity is the key. This was the first time I tried putting my shoes while moving on the bike. I practiced this for about 30 minutes the day before, and it wasn't as hard as I thought. No real problems on race day. I will keep doing this now!

Nothing
Bike
  • 35m 1s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.56 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed hard most of the way, but I definitely slowed down a lot on every corner/turn as the roads were slick. There were a lot of turns on the course so I think this brought down my average some, maybe 1 mph, due to having to slow down and then speed back up at every turn. I passed one woman after about a mile, and I was 4-5 lengths behind one guy for the first 5-6 miles, but then he started to pull away. Unfortunately, I could stay with him as I just don't have short-course speed yet. But I haven't been focusing on it, so I'm not worried.

Overall, pretty good bike for me.

Do more zone 4-5 intevals in practice so I can know what it's like to go fast and have my HR above my LTHR for extend periods.
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

This was the bike to swim transition. Took off my helmet, shirt, HRM strap, shoes, socks, and grabbed my goggles. I probably could have saved 10 seconds or so by going shirt-less and sock-less. Maybe next time, but this was still another fast transition for me
Run
  • 21m 48s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Man, this was the toughest part for me. We started out at a blistering pace, and my perceived exertion was really high. In some ways, running after the bike is nice b/c you're all nice and warmed up. But here, it's just like a 5K. I tried to warm up a fair amount before hand, but I was not prepared to run as hard as we did at the start. This was my first non-trail race since December and I felt it! I was hurting the whole way, and I was getting passed occasionally too which didn't help my psyche! I started to feel a little better after about 2 miles and I got sufficiently warmed up. It takes me a while I guess.

This time is about a minute slower than my PR time so I'm pretty happy with the result considering I haven't done much speed work in training. I forget how hard and intense these short races are!

Practice more at higher intensities. Do more track workouts.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out and talked with a few racers including Coby and Dana Bullard, the winners. Drank my recovery smoothie, ate a bagel and some cookies, and waited for results to be posted.

I was quite happy to learn I got 1st out of 23 in M30-39, and 5 out of 89 overall. This was my first time to get 1st in my AG in a triathlon, and my best percentage (top 6%) finish overall in any race! Needless to say, this was just the perfect way to get pumped up for Alcatraz on Sunday.

Also, I figured out that this was my first triathlon since my Ironman in Sept of last year. It had been 8 months since I had done a tri, and it felt SO GOOD to get body marked again!

Event comments:

Great race, and it was so close to my house. It took my 5 minutes to drive to the start. How could I NOT do this race!?

Last updated: 2007-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:46 | 200 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/23
Overall: 15/89
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: They shortened the course to 200 yds to eliminate congestion problems. The swim time also included about a 40 yard dash from the timing mat outside of transition to the pool entrance.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:01 | 12 miles | 20.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/23
Overall: 6/89
179 avg HR - right at my LTHR
Wind: Little
Course: They shortened by about a mile, and took out a couple of the hills due to the rains and slick roads. Being from Flower Mound, I had biked on 80% of the roads many times, so that was really nice. However, I did not like biking on the winding sidewalk and over the bridge in Bridlewood as felt this was dangerous, unnecessary, and really slowed me down.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 98
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:48 | 03.11 miles | 07m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/23
Overall: 14/89
185 avg HR - This is probably about at my LTHR, maybe even a little higher.
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-28 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Subject: RunBiTri FlowerMound

2007-05-28 1:42 PM
in reply to: #819287

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: RunBiTri FlowerMound
Great race Dave.
2007-05-28 2:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Flower Mound, Texas
Great race Dave! & congrats on the hardware.

I know what you mean about the run, there was a pack of 20 or so that took off at sub 7:00, you must have been with them, I was hanging off the back. Ended up reeling in 5-6, its funny to see some of those 20 year-olds go out too fast and blow up, happens every time, and gives me somebody to pass.

2007-05-28 3:41 PM

Regular
Indiana
Great job David.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RunBiTri FlowerMound Rss Feed