BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2008-01-31 7:30 AM
in reply to: #1090141

User image

DC
Subject: RE: Pshorty's Group-FULL-CONGRATS Bill/SESH!!
*shameless bump to page 1*
Anyone got anything cool going on this weekend?

2008-01-31 9:04 AM
in reply to: #1185670

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

gracetheterp - 2008-01-31 7:30 AM *shameless bump to page 1* Anyone got anything cool going on this weekend?

Just a local 10k on Saturday morning.  Then driving up to Starkville for the Miss. State/Tennessee game.  I'll be hitting the old home/bar when I'm there.  Real dive kinda place with excellent Chicago style pizza, dollar drafts and well drinks (used to be 75 cents), and mice racing.  Used to have a general rule of cancer sticks inside, weed on the patio.  Starkville banned smoking indoors (love it), so now the smokers and tokers chill together on the patio.

2008-01-31 12:31 PM

User image

Regular
GO VOLS!!

(I went to Tennessee )
2008-01-31 1:26 PM
in reply to: #1186730

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

pshorty - 2008-01-31 12:31 PM GO VOLS!! (I went to Tennessee )

The frito pies in Neyland are fantastic.  Went to visit some friends and saw MSU get waxed up there a few years ago.

2008-01-31 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1185911

User image

DC
sesh - 2008-01-31 10:04 AM

gracetheterp - 2008-01-31 7:30 AM *shameless bump to page 1* Anyone got anything cool going on this weekend?

Just a local 10k on Saturday morning.  Then driving up to Starkville for the Miss. State/Tennessee game.  I'll be hitting the old home/bar when I'm there.  Real dive kinda place with excellent Chicago style pizza, dollar drafts and well drinks (used to be 75 cents), and mice racing.  Used to have a general rule of cancer sticks inside, weed on the patio.  Starkville banned smoking indoors (love it), so now the smokers and tokers chill together on the patio.

• ..mice racing?
  • Ew.

The rest of it sounds like a blast though. I hate smoking- they outlawed it indoors in the county where my uni is, but at home it is bad- France was the WORST. Yuck.
    2008-01-31 2:51 PM
    in reply to: #1186895

User image

Regular
    sesh - 2008-01-31 2:26 PM

The frito pies in Neyland are fantastic. 

we call those "petros". they are delicious. i am now hungry.

2008-01-31 2:53 PM
    in reply to: #1187093

User image

Regular
    gracetheterp - 2008-01-31 3:30 PM

• ..mice racing?
  • Ew.

The rest of it sounds like a blast though. I hate smoking- they outlawed it indoors in the county where my uni is, but at home it is bad- France was the WORST. Yuck.

Yeah, I didn't catch mice racing the first time. What's that all about and how many times did you get drunk and put a whole mouse in your mouth?
    2008-01-31 4:10 PM
    in reply to: #1187198

User image

Champion
    Brandon, MS
    pshorty - 2008-01-31 2:53 PM
    gracetheterp - 2008-01-31 3:30 PM

...mice racing? Ew. The rest of it sounds like a blast though. I hate smoking- they outlawed it indoors in the county where my uni is, but at home it is bad- France was the WORST. Yuck.
    Yeah, I didn't catch mice racing the first time. What's that all about and how many times did you get drunk and put a whole mouse in your mouth?

The story goes:

This place (Dave's Darkhorse Tavern) gives you a free pizza for every four people that come in with you on your birthday.  Coupled with the drink prices, you can go in at 6, leave at 1 am, and if your tab hits $15 then you're probably crawling out of the place.  Well, it was my room mates birthday one Monday, so we of course head up there.  Well, where the band usually plays they are setting up this contraption of eight clear tubes between two 2x4s about 8 feet apart.  They hang it up behind the stage (it was also open mic night so there was nothing buy a mic and stool up there).  Needless to say, we are curious.  The conversation went like this:

Me:  What in the world is that?

Guy:  It's for the mice races.

Me:  The huh?

Guy:  Mice races.

Room mate:  Mice Races?

Guy:  Yeah, you draw a name of a mouse, they run through the tube, if they win you get a free drink.

....a moment of silence....

Room mate:  That... is.... AWESOME!

Oh, and it was.  Seven hours at the place and my tab was eight bucks.  Tabasco Rat had wheels.  Needless to say, Monday nights officially became Mice Racing Night.

Pics in next post

2008-01-31 4:15 PM

User image

Champion
    Brandon, MS

and here is the proof....

Also with some pics of the food (Chicago & NY style pies and the gyro & fries basket).  Plus a nice glimpse of the stage.  Told you it was a dive.

Edited by sesh 2008-01-31 4:17 PM

(daves 2.jpg)

(daves 3.jpg)

(mice races.jpg)

(mice races2.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    daves 2.jpg (42KB - 18 downloads)
    daves 3.jpg (49KB - 20 downloads)
    mice races.jpg (58KB - 23 downloads)
    mice races2.jpg (52KB - 21 downloads)
    2008-01-31 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
    Albany, NY
    Whats the best excuse to book flights for my wife and myself to Starkville? Is there a good Tri near there?
    2008-01-31 10:52 PM

User image

Regular
    Solana Beach, CA
    Wow - the mice race bar sounds fantastic. I am trying my best (last weekend excluded) to stop drinking until my race. It totally gets in the way. If I do drink I am going to use the moderation rule. (2 months to go!)

This weekend... Well, since I am starting to scare myself to death, I figured putting that energy into training might be a good idea. I am going to try to do a few hour bike ride on Sat (maybe a brick) and then a run on Sunday. I want to run more than an hour (for the first time since last year). I am thinking 6-7 miles might be good.

I am a little worried about my training times and mileage for doing a HIM. I have been training 5-7 hours a week. My max distances for each sport have been running: an hour, biking: 35-50 miles, and swimming: 700-1000 meters non stop. (I am least concerned about the swim.) And I have come nowhere near doing a 6-7 hour workout at one time.

My goal is to bump my mileage up in Feb and then follow a taper at the end of March for the last 3 weeks before the race. Eek - Just typing this scares me.

Have a great weekend everyone. Pick a good mouse for us!

2008-02-01 7:52 AM

User image

DC
    Bill that food looks amazing in that ew-thats-so-gross way. Kind of like the pizza I tend to eat at 3 am after a long night at college park bars.
    Looks like a good time!
    2008-02-01 7:53 AM
    in reply to: #1188148

User image

DC
    wyndswept - 2008-01-31 11:52 PM

Wow - the mice race bar sounds fantastic. I am trying my best (last weekend excluded) to stop drinking until my race. It totally gets in the way. If I do drink I am going to use the moderation rule. (2 months to go!)

This weekend... Well, since I am starting to scare myself to death, I figured putting that energy into training might be a good idea. I am going to try to do a few hour bike ride on Sat (maybe a brick) and then a run on Sunday. I want to run more than an hour (for the first time since last year). I am thinking 6-7 miles might be good.

I am a little worried about my training times and mileage for doing a HIM. I have been training 5-7 hours a week. My max distances for each sport have been running: an hour, biking: 35-50 miles, and swimming: 700-1000 meters non stop. (I am least concerned about the swim.) And I have come nowhere near doing a 6-7 hour workout at one time.

My goal is to bump my mileage up in Feb and then follow a taper at the end of March for the last 3 weeks before the race. Eek - Just typing this scares me.

Good luck with the no drinking. My roommate did that last year before her marathon, and it made a huge difference. She also lost a lot of weight; although obviously marathon training she was burning a lot more calories, I still think the sobriety helped
    2008-02-01 9:30 AM
    in reply to: #1187900

User image

Champion
    Brandon, MS

TheMaz - 2008-01-31 8:04 PM Whats the best excuse to book flights for my wife and myself to Starkville? Is there a good Tri near there?

Fly into Jackson, we'll do the Heatwave, then drive up to Starkville for lunch.

The best excuse would be for an SEC football weekend, though.

2008-02-01 9:50 AM

User image

Champion
    Brandon, MS

wyndswept - 2008-01-31 10:52 PM  And I have come nowhere near doing a 6-7 hour workout at one time.

Don't worry.  There's really no need for that.  While you should get in a 1.2+ mile swim, a 56+ mile bike, and a 13+ mile run individually;  a seven hour training session would probably hurt more than help.  The recovery time from something like that would only prevent you from training more.

Work on that swim, you sound like you're doing great on the bike, and schedule a long run or two.  Throw in some of the all important bike to run bricks, and you'll have it beat.  Good luck, and I'm jealous.  My first tri isn't until May 31st.

Moderation is good for you: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/CardiacHealth/story?id=4103489&page=1

The problem is the calories though.  A 13% ABV wine has just over 100 calories per 5oz.  People tend to over look that, just like they overlook the calories of a gatorade or orange juice.  It's just hard to convince yourself that a liquid has "stuff" in it that you need to be counting.

2008-02-01 12:45 PM

User image

DC
    So true on the calories. I got a third of my day's worth of calories in beer in an hour the other day. Ah, college.

2008-02-01 2:06 PM
    in reply to: #1188730

User image

Regular
    Solana Beach, CA
    sesh - 2008-02-01 7:50 AM

Moderation is good for you: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/CardiacHealth/story?id=4103489&page=1

"Drinking is healthy, exercise is healthy, and doing a little of both is even healthier... "
    That made my day! :)

Edited by wyndswept 2008-02-01 2:07 PM
    2008-02-01 2:18 PM
    in reply to: #1189733

User image

Champion
    Brandon, MS

wyndswept - 2008-02-01 2:06 PM
    sesh - 2008-02-01 7:50 AM Moderation is good for you: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/CardiacHealth/story?id=4103489&page=1
    "Drinking is healthy, exercise is healthy, and doing a little of both is even healthier... " That made my day!

Just not at the same time.

no matter how fun it is

2008-02-02 7:09 AM

User image

Regular
    wyndswept - 2008-01-31 11:52 PM

Hi Candace,

I would say that you are doing well. I would keep doing what you are doing and keep bumping things up gradually as you can. Like Bill, I don't think a 6-7 hour workout is necessary. If you think you have a good base, however, I would go for it. It all depends on whether you can recover enough to put a good effort into your other important workouts that week. And it doesn't have to be 6-7 hours in a row, it can be broken up during the day.

So keep doing what you are doing and ramping up the time gradually. At this point you probably have key workouts throughout the week. I would concentrate on doing those workouts the best you can and then really rest on the recovery workouts. That's what they are for.

You are right on track and will do wonderfully!!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

-Paul

2008-02-02 11:36 AM
    in reply to: #1190813

User image

Champion
    Brandon, MS

pshorty - And it doesn't have to be 6-7 hours in a row, it can be broken up during the day. -Paul

That's a great point that I didn't think about.  I know for me personally, I could not handle something like that.  While my recovery time has improved a lot (a two to three hour session just takes a good nights rest now), If I were to put in a seven hour day, it would probably take me a good three days to get over it.  So, for getting an extra four one day, I'd be losing up to nine the next three days.  Listen to your body, it'll probably give you the best advice.  Go for it, and GOOD LUCK CANDACE!

On a side note, I set a PR for a 10k today.  Actually did it at under a 9:30/mile pace, which back in 2005 when I was laying in bed with staples in my knee would never have crossed my mind as possible.  I was contemplating whether I'd ever want to run again.  And while that pace seems like walking to you guys training for Boston, just having you talk about it has really inspired me to HTFU and just run (though you wouldn't know it from my logs lately since January was my bike heavy month).  So thanks to the runners in the group.  Seeing you guys push so hard to your goals has really helped me a ton.

Also got an hour of OUTDOOR riding in today.  FINALLY!!!

2008-02-02 11:42 AM
    in reply to: #1190813

User image

Regular
    Solana Beach, CA
    Thanks Paul/ Bill!

I always think I am in better shape then I really am. I might not do a full 6 hours before the race but maybe 5 to see how my nutrition goes.

This consistant training stuff is hard for me. I think my time management needs some work. Does anyone else have a tough time juggling work/school, family, life and training? I just don't think there is enough time in the day.

I am headed out soon for my long bike/ brick. I am trying a new sports drink so this will be interesting. I will report back.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Edited by wyndswept 2008-02-02 11:44 AM

2008-02-02 1:07 PM
    in reply to: #1191026

User image

Veteran
    Portland

This consistant training stuff is hard for me. I think my time management needs some work. Does anyone else have a tough time juggling work/school, family, life and training? I just don't think there is enough time in the day.

That's because there ISN'T enough time in the day :-) I could easily use up an additional 4 hours a day, nonworking time of course :-)

It's a beautiful day here so I am hoping to get in a ride, my time is not mine this weekend though--my boyfriend presents his grad school architecture thesis next Sat. so I am helping to build little houses all weekend.

I did figure out my race schedule finally--my first (sprint) tri will be 4/27. So I started swimming again yesterday. Then a 1/2 marathon on 5/31 and another tri on 6/15.

Do you guys think 2 weeks between the 1/2 and the next tri is enough?

Enjoy the weekend!
    2008-02-02 2:53 PM
    in reply to: #1191022

User image

Veteran
    Albany, NY

It has been inspiring to hear about you all scheduling and training for these early season tri's. I scheduled Boston and Timberman and thought that these two "A" races (in April and August) are all I would be capable of this season. However, I do want to race more, and you've inspired me to begin researching other races.

Also, congrats to Bill on the PR! I think we do need to remind ourselves (at least I have to remind myself) that the most accurate measurement of training and "progress" is our own performance -- and, to a greater degree, how our bodies feel as our training progresses. Its easy for me to be almost literally pulled off pace in the pool when I'm swimming next to someone who seems to have fins -- and then I tire myself out within minutes.

This week I need to remind myself to take it a bit easy. Two days off this week due to working 60 hours and struggling on the cusp of illness means I need more sleep;  that temporary loss of muscle mass and some miles missed cannot be regained by doubling the volume of a long run. 

At the same time, with April still so far off I find I'm jones-ing for races of size that the Road Runners threw when I lived in New York City -- pulsing throngs of thousands of people. Herein Albany, the races have groups of a couple hundred. I'm missing the energy and encouragement of "group practice" a bit. I've been avoiding getting in touch with a triathlon group here -- I think I'm a bit scared of revealing what a "newbie" I am. Though it seems to me that tri-ers are about as welcoming as people come, I'm still avoiding it.

Anyone want to give me a good reason to get together with a group, a nice mid-winter kick in the pants? 

2008-02-02 11:15 PM
    in reply to: #1191179

User image

Regular
    Solana Beach, CA
    TheMaz - 2008-02-02 12:53 PM

I've been avoiding getting in touch with a triathlon group here -- I think I'm a bit scared of revealing what a "newbie" I am. Though it seems to me that tri-ers are about as welcoming as people come, I'm still avoiding it.

Anyone want to give me a good reason to get together with a group, a nice mid-winter kick in the pants? 

I think group runs and rides are really good. The few that I have gone on, I have learned a lot. I am always so scared to go because I know my pace is slower than most. Here are some reasons that I can think of:

1) Groups are usually up and out of bed early - giving you a full day. Hence, time management.
    2) Meet new people with similar interests.
    3) Accountability. "Hey, where were you last week?!"
    4) Learn new techniques and routes.
    5) The faster paces can be a nice challenge.

And Bill, Congrats on your PR today!
    2008-02-03 12:18 PM
    in reply to: #1191022

User image

Regular
    sesh - 2008-02-02 12:36 PM

On a side note, I set a PR for a 10k today. 

Great!! And I don't even have to change the thread title!!
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  

of 33