BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaqphin (Super Cat's) Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2008-01-04 6:14 PM
in reply to: #1091616

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver, British Columbia
Subject: RE: kaqphin (Super Cat's) Mentor group - CLOSED
Wow I am so impressed you passed the chips!  You get a big gold star for will power today!

2008-01-04 6:59 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
So Brittany has a 19 mile run tomorrow (WTG, BTW!!!) I have my first run not on a treadmill since November planned. What's everyone else got on tap? Doesn't have to be training related. If you're doing something fun, by all means post that, too!

Pam
2008-01-04 8:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Have a great run tomorrow.

I am going on my first ever group club ride tomorrow!!  My friend who inspires my cycling rides with them every once in a while and told me about them last fall and said I should go. It's an all women's club which is nice-they have a racing team but they also just promote women's cycling and skill development.  I had been traveling all fall so I put it on my January goal list. So tomorrow is the day!

I emailed the ride coordinator today and got a really welcoming response.  My friend is a wimp and doesn't ride in the winter so I will head out on my own and into a whole new world. I have never ridden in a group and the last time I rode with anyone was back in September. And it's supposed to be wind and rain tomorrow so it will definitely be an adventure.

I am WAY excited but SUPER SUPER nervous!!!! 

Looking forward to telling you all about it.

2008-01-04 10:21 PM

User image

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Training session went great today. It was more orientation and nutrition discussion than a workout, but we did get in some training time as well since he wanted to gauge where I'm at now in order to design a plan for me. So, he had me do some crunches, squats, prone planks, and pushups. After that, I hopped on the treadmill and he had me do 30 mins of the intervals program on it.

I have a feeling I'm going to be VERY sore tomorrow. I haven't really done any core strengthening work in a long time due to my back surgery last April. My abs are already complaining a bit tonight, so if you hear loud swearing in the morning, it's probably just me getting out of bed. LOL

I have to admit that I'm a little scared about the nutrition part. I've been doing Weight Watchers for a while and it's worked pretty good for me. He felt like it's not really enough calories for me, especially with the workout plan he's designing. He suggested I should be eating between 1800-2000 calories per day which is 400-500 more than I'm eating currently. Even though it's scary, I told him I would try it for a month and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, I can always switch back to what I'm going now.

He also told me they have another trainer at the gym who is a former swim coach. He's going to try and work out a time to have him meet me at the pool to give me some pointers on my swim. My trainer is also working with another guy who is a triathlete and has the former swim coach doing some work with him as well.

As for my weekend, it should be pretty quiet. It's actually supposed to be raining all weekend, so I had to cancel plans to meet a friend at the park on Sunday. Tomorrow I'm getting together for an all day Stitch & with a group of my girlfriends. We get together once per month at the local needlework shop to stitch, , and just have a lot a fun, so I'm really looking forward to that. After I leave there, I'll be heading over to the gym for some cardio -- possibly a swim or (most likely) more time on the treadmill.

Hope everyone else has a great weekend!
2008-01-04 10:31 PM

User image

Dear Cat,
Last year I received a couple of great tips from Pam (barqhead), who is in your group. Doing the drills that she recommended made my swimming a lot more relaxed and efficient. Pam says you are an amazing swimmer. Can I still join your group? (I know it says "closed" on the header... )
If not, do not worry. I will just read the forum every now and then, if you don't mind, looking for swimming advice.
Best,
Helmuth (46 year old, father of 3, newbie to triathlon)
2008-01-04 10:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Melissa-

It sounds like you found an awesome personal trainer. It's great when people connect you with more experienced people. Have fun with the girlfriends.

Edited by Out4atime 2008-01-04 10:34 PM

2008-01-05 8:59 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Melissa,

I'd be scared about the nutrition, too. I love weight watchers, but I can tell it is geared toward the "casual" exerciser. I have to tweak it myself during high volume training or else I'd collapse in a heap. Hopefully your personal trainer will help you tweak it to perfection!

Pam
2008-01-05 9:02 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Hey, Cat.

Please consider Helmuth's request to join. He was in my mentor group last year and is a great guy. He also battles with injuries and would fit well with this group. Hope everything is going well this weekend.

2008-01-05 11:09 AM

User image

Master
somewhere over the rainbow
sorry i've been MIA the last while guys. i'm still here, and still reading all your posts. i joined the january challenge, and they're dang posting maniacs!! i have like 8 pages of chatter to catch up with this morning! it's good though, it's gotten me back out the door, so good good.

so i've logged 10 miles already this month, only 50 to go!! the weather is REALLY nasty. actually right this minute, it's hailing, so i think i might take a pass on running today.

i was mistaken on the date of my upcoming race, it's not the 16th, it's the 13th
i'm doing it with some friends, and i'm trying to talk my mom in to doing it too, she's deathly afraid of water, so i'm trying to talk her in to doing the du instead. she rides her stationary bike usually around 200 miles a month, so i think she'd do great. she's 63 years old, and had knee replacement a little over 2 years ago.
sorry, blah blah blah.
anyway, i'm still here, things are good, no injuries to speak of (my butt's still a little sore ) and the running is going great.
i lost a few pounds in december, but nothing more since. i just got rid of my LAST pair of "fat pants" they were 10s i still have a pretty big pair of 8s but i'm mostly in 6s now !! never thought i'd be able to say THAT!! thank you sport of triathlon!!

ok, catch you all soon.
--gator--
2008-01-05 2:11 PM
in reply to: #1135676

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
lyssa-gator - 2008-01-05 12:09 PM

sorry i've been MIA the last while guys. i'm still here, and still reading all your posts. i joined the january challenge, and they're dang posting maniacs!! i have like 8 pages of chatter to catch up with this morning! it's good though, it's gotten me back out the door, so good good.

so i've logged 10 miles already this month, only 50 to go!! the weather is REALLY nasty. actually right this minute, it's hailing, so i think i might take a pass on running today.

i was mistaken on the date of my upcoming race, it's not the 16th, it's the 13th
i'm doing it with some friends, and i'm trying to talk my mom in to doing it too, she's deathly afraid of water, so i'm trying to talk her in to doing the du instead. she rides her stationary bike usually around 200 miles a month, so i think she'd do great. she's 63 years old, and had knee replacement a little over 2 years ago.
sorry, blah blah blah.
anyway, i'm still here, things are good, no injuries to speak of (my butt's still a little sore ) and the running is going great.
i lost a few pounds in december, but nothing more since. i just got rid of my LAST pair of "fat pants" they were 10s i still have a pretty big pair of 8s but i'm mostly in 6s now !! never thought i'd be able to say THAT!! thank you sport of triathlon!!

ok, catch you all soon.
--gator--

Wow, Gator. WTG on the size 6! I'm still in an 8. Have one 6 that I think was "vanity" sized (and they're a tad short since I'm all legs). Can't wait to get my tri body back! Keep up the great workouts and enjoy your weekend!

2008-01-05 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

a size 6 is awesome!!!!!!! I am looking forward to being a size 8 again.  My weight hasn't moved this week but I lost half an inch of my waist! so pounds aren't everything I guess.

so I hate F-$?%*#&$%*#$#^#$^#-ing FLAT TIRES!!!!!!!! HATE THEM HATE THEM HATE THEM!!!!  I got a flat on my way TO the club ride!!!! Darn broken bottle in the road. I was fine,  cause I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time anyway.  Well I changed it and then the presta on my new tube SNAPPED OFF while I was pumping!! Tried to patch the flat and tube but didn't work.. put the bike together barely and carried it to the bus stop.  Caught the bus to the meeting spot and I was in the bus frantically waving as it stopped in front of the meeting spot while the club got on their bikes and headed across the street.  I LITERALLY missed them by about 2 seconds!!! Totally had the emotional rollercoaster of sitting in bus bummed that I missed it, then so excited to see that they were still there and then jumping out of the bus yelling and waving and realizing it was no use.  By the time the owner of the bike shop and I changed my tube there was no way I would catch them and he didn't know which way they had gone.  UGH!!!!!!!

On the positive note- I always try to find some positive.  I HAD A GREAT 3 hour RIDE!!!! sprinted for a while hoping I might get lucky and then went and did my favorite loop around Stanley park in Vancouver. And I love this town cause technically its rainy and windy and the weather is sucky but everyone was out running and riding.  The other positive is that missing them made me realize how much I really want to improve my riding and get involved in the club so I am going to be brave and go to their first group coaching session tomorrow and check it out.  At the very least I will introduce myself.

but I will repeat.. I hate FLATS!!! 

2008-01-05 3:41 PM

User image

Master
somewhere over the rainbow
geez!! i feel like such a slacker!! the longest i've been on the bike is like 35 minutes, because my mom's stationary has 35 minute program things, and they KILL me!!!
i can't believe you rode for 3 hours!! you're a stallion!!

and the flat?? never had one, but it's one of my biggest fears!!
2008-01-05 4:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC

Jeni - I am sorry you missed your group!  But at least you got a good ride in.  I haven't had a flat yet, but I am sure it will happen.  I need to go to a clinic to show me how to change a flat.  If I got one, I would be out of luck.

Mel - very cool on your first training session!  I would say trust your trainer.  Like you said, you can always go back to what you were doing if it isn't working for you.

Gator - congrats on the size 6!  My goal is yo back in a 6 in the next 6 months or so.  I am completely envious! 

Ok - I have signed up for 3 triathlons (possibly more later) and my training plan starts tomorrow.  I need everyone's help to keep on my butt to keep me consistent and moving forward.  I am working on my nutrition.  I think it is time for a lifestyle change, so I am really researching what will work for me.  If you see me slacking on the workouts, please, please, please give me grief (unless I am sick or something).

I am really looking forward to this triathlon season.

2008-01-05 5:19 PM
in reply to: #1135230

User image

Champion
Sydney

trihtrefftz - 2008-01-05 3:31 PM Dear Cat, Last year I received a couple of great tips from Pam (barqhead), who is in your group. Doing the drills that she recommended made my swimming a lot more relaxed and efficient. Pam says you are an amazing swimmer. Can I still join your group? (I know it says "closed" on the header... ) If not, do not worry. I will just read the forum every now and then, if you don't mind, looking for swimming advice. Best, Helmuth (46 year old, father of 3, newbie to triathlon)

Hi Helmuth, of course jump right in! The more the merrier

Cat 

2008-01-05 5:22 PM
in reply to: #1135221

User image

Champion
Sydney

BunnyB - 2008-01-05 3:21 PM Training session went great today. It was more orientation and nutrition discussion than a workout, but we did get in some training time as well since he wanted to gauge where I'm at now in order to design a plan for me. So, he had me do some crunches, squats, prone planks, and pushups. After that, I hopped on the treadmill and he had me do 30 mins of the intervals program on it. I have a feeling I'm going to be VERY sore tomorrow. I haven't really done any core strengthening work in a long time due to my back surgery last April. My abs are already complaining a bit tonight, so if you hear loud swearing in the morning, it's probably just me getting out of bed. LOL I have to admit that I'm a little scared about the nutrition part. I've been doing Weight Watchers for a while and it's worked pretty good for me. He felt like it's not really enough calories for me, especially with the workout plan he's designing. He suggested I should be eating between 1800-2000 calories per day which is 400-500 more than I'm eating currently. Even though it's scary, I told him I would try it for a month and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, I can always switch back to what I'm going now. He also told me they have another trainer at the gym who is a former swim coach. He's going to try and work out a time to have him meet me at the pool to give me some pointers on my swim. My trainer is also working with another guy who is a triathlete and has the former swim coach doing some work with him as well. As for my weekend, it should be pretty quiet. It's actually supposed to be raining all weekend, so I had to cancel plans to meet a friend at the park on Sunday. Tomorrow I'm getting together for an all day Stitch & with a group of my girlfriends. We get together once per month at the local needlework shop to stitch, , and just have a lot a fun, so I'm really looking forward to that. After I leave there, I'll be heading over to the gym for some cardio -- possibly a swim or (most likely) more time on the treadmill. Hope everyone else has a great weekend!

Wow Mel your trainer sounds like he knows exactly what he is doing!!

1800-2000 calories will still put you at a loss, especially with training so I wouldnt worry about it at all! It sounds like you got a well qualified trainer who knows what he is doing... they can be hard to come by so that is very encouraging!  

2008-01-05 5:24 PM
in reply to: #1135555

User image

Champion
Sydney

barqhead - 2008-01-06 1:59 AM Melissa, I'd be scared about the nutrition, too. I love weight watchers, but I can tell it is geared toward the "casual" exerciser. I have to tweak it myself during high volume training or else I'd collapse in a heap. Hopefully your personal trainer will help you tweak it to perfection! Pam

x2 on WW - I found I had to eat more food as well as it was too easy to eat junk and still loose weight (I was on the points plan) but I do love it for an indication of how much I am eating...

Id love to sign back up because the weekly weigh ins were something i needed to hold me accountable. Unfortunatley they cancelled the meeting I used to attend and finding one after 6pm at night anywhere remotely close to home or work is proving to be impossible.

2008-01-05 5:25 PM
in reply to: #1135676

User image

Champion
Sydney

lyssa-gator - 2008-01-06 4:09 AM  i'm trying to talk my mom in to doing it too, she's deathly afraid of water, so i'm trying to talk her in to doing the du instead. she rides her stationary bike usually around 200 miles a month, so i think she'd do great. she's 63 years old, and had knee replacement a little over 2 years ago. sorry, blah blah blah. anyway, i'm still here, things are good, no injuries to speak of (my butt's still a little sore ) and the running is going great. i lost a few pounds in december, but nothing more since. i just got rid of my LAST pair of "fat pants" they were 10s i still have a pretty big pair of 8s but i'm mostly in 6s now !! never thought i'd be able to say THAT!! thank you sport of triathlon!! ok, catch you all soon. --gator--

Lyssa - congrats on the weightloss thats awesome!

I alos love that your mum might race with you, that would be a great experiences and it sounds like she is all set for the ride! 

2008-01-05 7:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Congrats on signing up for your races.  I keep putting mine off.  Like once I sign up it's an intimidating reality or something. 

here's a great source for changing a flat:

http://www.teamestrogen.com/articles/asa_levers.asp

you can also google videos of it. 

The two most important things I've learned the hard way.  1) Get a good floor pump with a pressure gage and pump up your tires before EVERY ride!  Number one cause is not enough pressure in the tires.  2) make sure you find the piece of glass or splinter or whatever caused the flat and get it out of your tire.  

I still use levers and I definitely recommend practicing in your living room.  I think I'm jinxed cause the three times I have had a flat something went wrong with the spare I was carrying so I was still out of luck!  But that's why you carry a cell phone

2008-01-05 7:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

On a swimming note:

Should there be a noticeable speed difference when you are kicking and pulling vs when you are just pulling.  I am noticing i am just about as efficient using only my arms as when I'm kicking too.  I blame it on the months of swimming with just my arms cause it would bother my knee or that when i do the whole stroke i am not concentrating on pulling as much.  Should I be spending some quality time with the kickboard? Focusing more on my whole stroke? more different drills?

And the head tap drill suggestions made ALL my shoulder issues disappear! THANKS!!!!

2008-01-05 8:36 PM
in reply to: #1136422

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Out4atime - 2008-01-05 8:40 PM

On a swimming note:

Should there be a noticeable speed difference when you are kicking and pulling vs when you are just pulling.  I am noticing i am just about as efficient using only my arms as when I'm kicking too.  I blame it on the months of swimming with just my arms cause it would bother my knee or that when i do the whole stroke i am not concentrating on pulling as much.  Should I be spending some quality time with the kickboard? Focusing more on my whole stroke? more different drills?

And the head tap drill suggestions made ALL my shoulder issues disappear! THANKS!!!!

Good news on no more shoulder problems! Yay! As far as kicking, you should be faster doing your whole stroke than only half of it. Even though we triathletes don't need to kick as hard or as strong as a pure swimmer, your kick still minimizes overall fatigue to your body because you aren't dragging your legs through the water.

Kick tips: I find that most folks who say they are faster with a pull buoy than when they use their legs are kicking way too big and emphasizing the down kick rather than lifting up. A good flutter kick is small or tight. Picture having your ankles tied together loosely. You can have an effective kick by moving your legs up and down quickly, but in that small space. Also emphasize the up kick. Picture a string tied to the back of your heels. Your feet are puppets and someone above you is pulling those strings. Lift UP with your heel, then release. The release is all the down kick you need. Another way to practice a good flutter kick is to lie on your stomach on the floor with your legs straight out behind you. Practice kicking the floor with your feet. Point your toes. You should be hitting the floor with the top of your foot. This drill emphasizes the UP kick as well. You should feel your hammies working to pull your legs UP!

My coach has me doing lots of kick sets. And she is a pure triathlon (not a swim) coach. Mine are on a kickboard, unless I'm kicking backstroke. Those are done without a board. My arms are overhead with my hands overlapped and my shoulders squeezing my ears. I hope this helped some.

x2 about pumping your tires before every ride. It really cuts down on the flats. I can change a tire, but I tend to get a pinch flat afterwards because I've pinched or pulled my new tube during the change. I really need to practice this more, especially with the rear tire

2008-01-06 1:30 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Yup x2 what Pam said... ALWAYS pump your tyres up before every ride no exceptions... its better for your tyre, makes you less likely to flat, and reduces rolling resistance which basically means youll go faster (free speed is a good benefit)

On the kicking thing, the other reason you might not notice the benefit of kicking is if your legs are too low in the water, sinking basically due to poor body position... this can affect your kick as its basically no longer effective... also look at how you are kicking the motion should come from your hip and not your knee other wise it will also be ineffective, your ankles should be loose and your legs kicking at a steady pace...

The one time kicking is useful in a tri is right before the end of the swim where you speed up your kick to increase blood flow to your legs before standing up and making the run into transition - this harder kicking delivers blood to your legs which have been used less during the swim and can help with the transition to land which can be awkward, especially as the races get longer!

2008-01-06 8:50 AM
in reply to: #1136418

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC
Out4atime - 2008-01-05 7:38 PM

Congrats on signing up for your races.  I keep putting mine off.  Like once I sign up it's an intimidating reality or something. 

here's a great source for changing a flat:

http://www.teamestrogen.com/articles/asa_levers.asp

you can also google videos of it. 

The two most important things I've learned the hard way.  1) Get a good floor pump with a pressure gage and pump up your tires before EVERY ride!  Number one cause is not enough pressure in the tires.  2) make sure you find the piece of glass or splinter or whatever caused the flat and get it out of your tire.  

I still use levers and I definitely recommend practicing in your living room.  I think I'm jinxed cause the three times I have had a flat something went wrong with the spare I was carrying so I was still out of luck!  But that's why you carry a cell phone

The races I sign up for close out within a few hours of registration, so I had to sign up.    In a way, it is good because I have out that goal out there.  My first race (I have only done 2) I came in 5th from last.  Yep, almost DFL.  But coming across that finish line was the best feeling ever.  As long as the SAG wagon didn't pick me up, I am good.

Thanks for the link on the tires.  I absolutely always inflate my tires before every ride, even on the trainer.  That was the first thing I was told by my LBS.  I appreciate all the great advice.  Thanks for all the info on the swimming, it is all great information.

2008-01-06 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Thanks for the reassurance on the nutrition, everyone! I had my weekly weigh in this morning and was down 2 pounds this week. Since I just started the increased caloric intake yesterday, it'll be interesting to see what happens next Sunday when I weigh in.

Well, I was definitely right about fearing that I would feel that core workout yesterday. There was much swearing when I went to get out of bed yesterday morning. LOL It's still a bit sore today, but not nearly as bad as it was yesterday. I'm going to take it easy with my workout today and just go for a nice walk for a couple of miles.

Hope you're all having a great day. Welcome to the group, Helmuth! I'm in the 40-something triathlon newbie club, too.
2008-01-06 6:24 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

So, the long run got done today and it was a distance PR.  My body hated me immediately aftewards, but after a good bath soak and an immediate recovery drink, I think I'll survive.  I have my first race of the season this next Sunday-- the Houston 1/2 Marathon. I won't taper much for it as it is more of a training run for next month's marathon, and since it will be my long run for the week, I have some other runs on tap.  But, I'll take Friday and Saturday fairly easy, so that should be enough taper as 13.1 miles is a very doable disance for me right now due to the training I've been doing.  I also start my official training schedule tomorrow, so you'll see lots more swimming and biking in my log.  I adapted the Sprint to Oly plan to fit me, and I really want to stick to it.  I definitely need more time on the bike and in the pool, and I'm going to have to get up EARLY to do it cause I still have to go in for unit physical training (Army stuff) that doesn't accomplish too much, for me anyhow. 

Hope everyone has had a great weekend. I will be checking out some of that fix a flat info as well as I need to learn that.  They recently posted a video here on BT about it too, so check it out!

2008-01-06 11:12 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney
Great work on the run Britt! Hope your body is kind to you quickly!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaqphin (Super Cat's) Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44