BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2008-02-12 11:53 PM
in reply to: #1098972

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks!
I saw some threads earlier on about back injuries etc. I have had back issues in the past and got some advice that I thought I would offer up and please just take it for what it is worth. What I was told was that a major cause of back trouble isn't the back itself but supporting muscles of your core. Abs being the big one. Basically what I was doing was asking my back to do all of the work instead of spreading the load between my back, sides and stomach. All of these muscles can be very important for simple things such as bending over, standing up, picking up things or just support during exercise. The more I focused on developing abs and sides the more my back trouble went away. I actually haven't had back trouble since. So there it is for what it is worth. It is advice that seemed to help me. Maybe it can help someone else.

2008-02-13 7:52 AM
in reply to: #1208688

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Ridgelake's Group - Re-Opening for More Awesome Folks!

SpokaneJo - 2008-02-13 12:39 AM
thinair - 2008-02-12 6:11 PM The action was to add each other to our friends list. So I've added: Ridgelake Spokanjo Catjammies BunnyT Colewarren holt1997 Teresa
Welcome to the group! And don't forget: smeador brideout ihaveagluestick Am I forgetting anyone else, Boss? J

I think thats all of us! 

2008-02-13 9:06 AM
in reply to: #1208688

User image

Lake Tahoe, CA
Thanks Joanne,

I have everyone now. This is quite a list. Today I'll read all through the forum to catch up, and hopefully have time to look through everyone's log to get to know you all.

Alex
2008-02-13 9:30 AM

New Jersey
Hey guys
I've been off the board for a while, and off my workouts (still limited to the elliptical)

Anyone else feeling the winter slump?
I haven't gone to the gym in days, my orthopedist is a useless jerk and no one seems to know how to fix my elusive hip problem.
I feel like I may as well go to the mall, eat in the food court and call shopping my exercise.(typical american lifestyle)

2008-02-13 9:39 AM
in reply to: #1209182

User image

Regular
ihaveagluestick - 2008-02-13 8:30 AM

I feel like I may as well go to the mall, eat in the food court and call shopping my exercise.(typical american lifestyle)

NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!! don't do it! Step away from the donut, pick up your gym bag and go do something!

Seriously though, seeing another doctor for a second opinion sounds like it might be in order.
2008-02-13 9:48 AM
in reply to: #1207582

User image

Regular
colewarren - 2008-02-12 12:51 PM

When we are doing "bricks" does it matter whether we run or ride first?

The sensation of coming off the bike and dealing w/ the rubber legs for the first 1/2 mile or so (seems to take me a full mile, though) is something you definitely want to try a couple of times prior to a race. Does it need to happen every time? No. Any brick is a good brick, but you'll want to try it in sequence for sure. I've also tried a full mock runthrough of all 3 prior to a race at full distance, but at an easy pace, just to get a feel for the cumulative distance.

2008-02-13 9:52 AM
in reply to: #1209182

Subject: Winter slump
Winter slump is definitely affecting me, especially as I look out the window at a full on blizzard. I know that spring is only a few weeks away though, and I must perservere through this time of year. On that note, I am off for a run. Luckily my gym is in the same complex as my office so I do not have to go outside, or I am sure I would not. I am just trying to think ahead to spring and thinking how good it will be to have a jump start on training for the spring and summer season.

I am sure it is even worse knowing you are only supposed to do elliptical training. It is hard enough to change up the exercising in the winter when you have the full spectrum of equipment. I hope your recovery goes well and is speedy.

How are you other cold weather people keeping yourselves motivated to work out?
2008-02-13 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1208695

User image

Regular
holt1997 - 2008-02-12 10:53 PM

I saw some threads earlier on about back injuries etc. I have had back issues in the past and got some advice that I thought I would offer up and please just take it for what it is worth. What I was told was that a major cause of back trouble isn't the back itself but supporting muscles of your core. Abs being the big one. Basically what I was doing was asking my back to do all of the work instead of spreading the load between my back, sides and stomach. All of these muscles can be very important for simple things such as bending over, standing up, picking up things or just support during exercise. The more I focused on developing abs and sides the more my back trouble went away. I actually haven't had back trouble since. So there it is for what it is worth. It is advice that seemed to help me. Maybe it can help someone else.

Agree whole heartedly. My back issues always seem to come up during periods of inactivity, when I have let my fitness level decline. FWIW, I think that a swim workout with proper tecnique (good rotation, feet at water surface, flip turns) is a VERY good core workout. When I was with a coached masters team, we did a lot of core work because it is so important to good swimming tecnique.

David
2008-02-13 9:57 AM
in reply to: #1209258

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Winter slump
brideout - 2008-02-13 8:52 AM

Winter slump is definitely affecting me, especially as I look out the window at a full on blizzard.

How are you other cold weather people keeping yourselves motivated to work out?

We're supposed to get another 8" snow tonight in Colorado.......

My motivation is wanting to get a head start for when the good weather arrives. With a decent base, my fair weather, outdoor workouts will be all the more enjoyable.

Oh, and in Colorado, SKIING! makes for a very tasty winter workout!
2008-02-13 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1207694

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
teresa - 2008-02-12 2:21 PM

Ohmygoodness!!! I just watched the Jason Mcelwain video on You Tube and it was FANTASTIC! What an amazing story. It made me cry and I can't imagine how it made his parents feel WOW

You're not alone - it made me cry too! There just aren't too many real feel-good stories like this and it is so uplifting.
2008-02-13 1:46 PM
in reply to: #1208415

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
thinair - 2008-02-12 8:11 PM

• The action was to add each other to our friends list. So I've added:
    Ridgelake
    Spokanjo
    Catjammies
    BunnyT
    Colewarren
    holt1997
    Teresa

Please feel free to add me to your friends list as well. I'll try to get the hang of the "Inspire Me" thing, and I look forward to getting to know each of you. The short reading that I did before requesting to be part of this group looked like a really cool team, with some impressive stories.

Forgive me for being such a noob, but how do I add friends? Slap me if I find that information somewhere else in a sticky.

2008-02-13 2:27 PM
    in reply to: #1209986

User image

Regular
    BunnyT - 2008-02-13 12:46 PM

Forgive me for being such a noob, but how do I add friends? Slap me if I find that information somewhere else in a sticky.

No problem. Go to your training log page and click on the control panel button under the "quick links" on the left hand side, right beside the calendar. Then click on the "friends" tab and enter in the user names of the folks you would like to link to.

Edited by catjammies 2008-02-13 2:28 PM
    2008-02-13 4:23 PM

User image

Master
    Rochester, NY

Not sur if I posted this before, but this is a really good article.   It was forwarded to me through my old coach's email group.

Running Efficiency, How to Get It  

IN her prime, Joan Benoit Samuelson, one of the best female distance runners, should have been faster than Alberto Salazar, one of the best male distance runners.

Ms. Samuelson's running was beautifully smooth. Mr. Salazar's was not.

"He looked terrible," said Jack Daniels, an exercise physiologist at the Center for High Altitude Training at Northern Arizona University, who studied both runners in the 1980's. "She looked great."

Not only that but Ms. Samuelson also had an amazing ability to use oxygen to fuel her body, Dr. Daniels said. Even though women's maximum oxygen consumption, or VO2 max, is typically lower than that of men, hers was as high as Mr. Salazar's. Maximum oxygen consumption was often considered one of the best predictors of performance in distance events.

But Mr. Salazar always ran faster than Ms. Samuelson. The difference between them turned out to be one of the least understood and most mythologized aspects of performance: economy of motion. It's the relationship between how much energy you expend and how fast you go.

"How much is it costing you to run 10 miles an hour?" Dr. Daniels asked. "If it costs you less than it costs someone else, you are more economical."

Mr. Salazar, despite his less than classic running style, expended less energy when he ran. So when he and Ms. Samuelson put out the same effort, he ran faster.

Economy can make the difference between being fast and being slow, between winning and losing in swimming to skiing, cycling to speed skating, running to rowing.

But economy is baffling. It seems to be physiological, but it is not clear what exactly is involved. Is it an ability of muscles to use energy, an ability to use a variety of muscles in concert, an ability of nerves to activate certain muscles for a task while allowing other muscles to relax, an ability of nerves to fire in near-perfect patterns? Or is it all of these things in combination?

While many exercise physiologists believe, or hope, that economy improves with training, they confess that it's not clear what kind of training or how much it takes to make a difference.

They know that standard training programs, which emphasize speed and distance, improve the other key factors in performance: VO2 max and the anaerobic, or lactate, threshold, an indicator of how intensely a person can exercise.

But economy is more of a mystery. In fact, there are only a few documented cases of athletes whose economy improved. One was Paula Radcliffe, the British marathoner. Every year for 11 years, starting in 1992, she increased her running economy by about 1 to 3 percent. In the end, she ran 40 seconds to a minute faster per mile, without changing how much oxygen she took in.

Then there was Lance Armstrong, studied by Edward Coyle, an exercise physiologist at the University of Texas, Austin. Over seven years from age 21 to 28, Mr. Armstrong gained about 1 percent a year in efficiency.

And there was Steve Scott, a runner who broke the American record for the mile in 1982. In just 18 weeks of intense training, he improved his running economy by 5 percent, said Gary S. Krahenbuhl, an exercise physiologist at Arizona State University. Mr. Scott's improved economy allowed him to run faster than the previous mile record holder, Jim Ryun - the two runners were essentially equal in all other physiological measures, Dr. Krahenbuhl said.

But, Dr. Coyle said, "whether an average person running an hour a day would experience the same benefit is the million-dollar question."

Researchers are finding that easy assumptions about exercise economy just don't hold up under rigorous study.

Take the idea that you can tell who is an economical runner or cyclist by watching the person perform. Not true, researchers say. The only way to know is with tests in a lab.

Dr. Daniels showed this in a study in which he videotaped runners. Then he sent the videos to coaches and biomechanics experts, and asked which were the more economical runners.

"They couldn't tell, no way at all," he said.

But can runners become more economical if they change their form? The surprising answer seems to be no, said Dr. Krahenbuhl. In fact, he said, every study that asked what happened after runners changed their natural form found that running economy declined.

It may take a long time for a change of form to result in better economy, Dr. Daniels suggested.

But it also may be that changing your form will never help you. Coaches often tell athletes to work on their form to become more economical, Dr. Daniels said. "But what they are really saying is, 'We will work on your technique to make you look more like I think you should look,'" he added.

Maybe economical runners or cyclists or swimmers are simply gifted in general, researchers speculated. Perhaps whatever these athletes turn to, they will be economical.

That, Dr. Daniels discovered, is not true.

He recently studied runners and measured their economy when they ran. Then he measured it when they cycled, when they walked uphill at three different inclines on a treadmill, when they stepped up and down on a step, and when they cranked an ergometer with their arms. There was no relationship between being economical at one activity and being economical at another.

Still, there are a few tricks for novices, said Dr. Daniels. Most runners, he said, naturally fall into their most economical stride. But some bound along or, at the other extreme, take too many little steps. After studying hundreds of runners, Dr. Daniels discovered that taking 180 steps a minute made the most of energy expended.

Dr. Coyle finds that the most economical cyclists have an abundance of a particular type of muscle fiber, so-called slow twitch. It is not known whether other types of muscle can convert to slow twitch with training. But, he said, it may be that after years of training, nerves are directed to allow more leg muscles to participate in pedaling. The result might be greater riding economy.

"You might wind up changing the way your neuromuscular system is wired," Dr. Coyle said. "It is a controversial area, but it makes sense."

With swimmers, Dr. Coyle said, speed depends a great deal on technique, which can improve to a certain extent with coaching and training. Swimmers must overcome the drag of the water, and anything that interrupts the fluid dynamics of their motion will cause them to decelerate.

But physiological economy can also have a huge effect in swimming. Dr. Daniels studied a woman who won an Olympic gold medal even though her VO2 max was only average for a recreational athlete and was very low for an elite athlete. Her gift? She wasted little energy, and that skill more than compensated.

No one has rigorously studied swimmers and documented that training improves economy. But exercise physiologists note that competitive swimmers practice for hours a day, even though their races last just minutes.

"Some physiologists say, 'Look you don't need to do that,'" Dr. Coyle said. "But the athletes think it is beneficial." The reason, he suspects, is that all that training is needed to improve economy.

Edited by Ridgelake 2008-02-13 4:24 PM
    2008-02-13 6:00 PM
    in reply to: #1150867

User image

Lake Tahoe, CA
    Subject: RE: Ridgelake's Group - Filled Up with Awesome Folks!
    OK, so another question that was asked by RidgeLake early on in the mentoring program was "What keeps me from training regularly" (or something like that).

For me, it's one of 2 things:
    1. Business travel. I have imported one of the training programs into my log and know what I have to do. Then I created recurring appts in my Outlook that match the weekly trainings. I don't have to get too fussy with specific training times. I then go through the next couple of months and start to slide the individual trainings into days that I'm not traveling, or include the bike and run where I know a gym is provided in my hotel. Another advantage of placing these is that my coworkers can't schedule meetings over my training times.

2. Bull-headiness. Sometimes I get sooooo wrapped up in a challenge at work, that I'll completely lose track of time. Any other demands are an irritating gnat that needs to be swatted away (including training) (and my family hates it when this happens too)
    2008-02-14 8:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Ellensburg, WA
    I too have had a terrible time being consistent with training. That is why it is my number one goal to work towards. I am going to try something new. My wife and I both are in training so we are going to map out each week and schedule our workouts instead of just leaving it to "tomorrow I need to workout" Once again I planned right over working out and I hate it. The winter also plays a role. It is hard to get motivated to get on a trainer in the office and spin instead of getting out on the road, but my first duathlon is coming up the end of March and I know I am not ready (6 mile run, 26 mile bike and 3 mile run) I am hoping between scheduling and sunshine I can do better.
    2008-02-14 9:29 AM
    in reply to: #1210766

User image

Lake Tahoe, CA
    Subject: RE: Ridgelake's Group - Filled Up with Awesome Folks!
    Hi All,

I have some challenges around eating and weight. I started gaining weight when I kept some really terrible eating habits and stopped exercising (and got older). What's really bothering me is that I am having a really difficult time breaking these habits. One of my challenges is that I work from home and the food is always available.

For the past year or so, I made at least 6-10 attempts to start and stick to an eating program that monitors my intake and expenditure of calories and provides reporting on the composition of my food (PCF). My caloric deficeit was a reasonable -700 calories a day. I know what is the right food and nutrition, but just COULDN'T stick to it, and it feels pretty hopeless. So, in the interest of not doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result, I have started to listen to a few friends around me and to what I am reading on this site and our mentor group.

My current plan is to relax a bit about the rigorous approach and start making better decisions about what I eat and start reducing my portions little by little (that finally sank in reading the posting on this group, and seeing some of you practice it). I still have a habit of documenting what I eat, but have switched it over to my log. I don't know why, but making this public might help, and if not, then I'll drop the tracking BS altogether.

If anyone here has any recommendations or if you have similar experiences, I'm all ears.

Alex

2008-02-14 10:14 AM

User image

Master
    Rochester, NY

Alex, regarding diet, one of the biggest things that helped me change from eating a lot of junk to a very good diet is this:

"What will my body get out of eating this food?"  

Ask yourself that before anything goes in your mouth.   You'd be amazed at how that self-reflection can help clean up the diet.   

I think there are a number of good posts earlier in this thread about diet.  Glad some of those are of use! 

2008-02-14 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Ellensburg, WA
    Hi Alex,
    I too travel daily for my job and the choices for eating are terrible. I can't count the number of times a king size caramello and a slurpee were lunch. A couple of things I have done to help (Believe me I am far from perfect on this) is pack my food for the day. This makes me less tempted to eat at gas stations etc where good food choices are not available. The second thing I do is pack workout gear. I try to workout during the day when possible. I always feel much more motivated to eat right when I have just worked out. (It gets easier to say "I just worked out, I am not going to eat that") The last thing I do is put reminder phrases around me that remind me of my goals and hardwork. (Ie on folders, dashboards etc) I hope this helps. I have never gotten the "handful of almonds and you'll feel full" to work. The only thing that works for me is prior planning, accountability and encouragement. Lets face it we can't struggle through this stuff alone. If it were easy we'd all be thin and modelesque. (Is that a word :-) )
    Scott
    2008-02-14 2:03 PM

Regular
    Amanda,
    STAY AWAY FROM the MALL!!! In your picture there is a person behind you who looks like they are standing still...if you don't do something, that person is going to pass you. We can't have that! Please only eat at the food court if there are healthy food options. I am sorry that you have been told you can only do the elliptical trainer, but that is better than bed rest. (Bed rest may sound nice, but boredom would set in pretty quickly.) Good luck!

For those with back issues...I found help with my back troubles with a Physical Therapist. I don't know if that would help you or not, but thought I would suggest it anyway.

Alex,
    I feel for you with your weight loss problems. Logging food choices certainly has helped my husband. The least helpful suggestion we were given, "eat off of a smaller plate, you will feel fuller." The only reason that I am thin is that I am afraid of being fat (I tried that option in college but didn't like it much). The only thing that motivates my husband to lose weight is fear of another heart attack. I hope you are able to find your motivation. We will be checking your logs!

Cole
    2008-02-14 3:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Ellensburg, WA
    I have another little weight loss tip. Please don't laugh, it helps :-)

Brush your teeth around 6:30-7pm. It helps me. Going to bed with a full stomach is not so good. I hate to eat right after I brush my teeth so if I brush a little before bed then I am less tempted to eat. It also eliminates the mindless eating when your not even hungry. Just an idea.

Scott
    2008-02-14 8:29 PM
    in reply to: #1212630

New Jersey
    Who's amanda? And don't worry i didn't eat in the food court, that's just gross. I'm bargaining with my PT again, I think she's coming around to pool running...

Anyway-> Alex, diet
    I do highly recommend bringing your whole days worth of food if you can, it really cuts down on temptation. I managed to lose my 60 lbs by replacing foods slowly. I switched things like eating soy chips with salsa instead of tortilla chips (who overdoses on soy chips really, they're not that good). And I paid more attention to what I eat at work. I figure, once I'm there, all the food I have is what I brought, so if I planned my afternoon snack to be an apple and some walnuts, I don't really have a choice.
    At home with my bf and on the weekends are another story. I just do what I can there.

Personally, I avoid fast food like the plague, and not just for health reasons. Fast Food Nation struck a cord with me, especially the sections on the meat packing industry. The way fast food corporations abuse some many farmers and workers throughout the US is appalling. You have an idea that it's probably happening, but until you read about in detail it doesn't mean much to you. I'd say reading a book like that can give a reason to think twice about eating fast food (or any mass produced food). Regardless of what you take from the book, I think everyone would agree cutting down on fast food is never a bad idea.

2008-02-14 8:31 PM
    in reply to: #1212837

New Jersey
    holt1997 - 2008-02-14 4:13 PM

I have another little weight loss tip. Please don't laugh, it helps :-)

Brush your teeth around 6:30-7pm. It helps me. Going to bed with a full stomach is not so good. I hate to eat right after I brush my teeth so if I brush a little before bed then I am less tempted to eat. It also eliminates the mindless eating when your not even hungry. Just an idea.

Scott

I love that, and it works so well. Except I know once I brush my teeth I won't eat more, so I eat more before I brush, or I put off brushing, haha.
    Maybe I'll have to give it another try.

2008-02-15 8:28 AM
    in reply to: #1213436

User image

Lake Tahoe, CA
    Thanks everyone for the eating recommendations. They all make sense and I had a chance to give-em a go yesterday (except brushing teeth, I didn't read that until this morning, but will be doing that tonight.)

So, each time I eat, it'll be something that I planned on, and consider what it's doing for my body, brush my teeth afterwards, and be aware that some are going to be checking my log

Having everyone in this forum really helps a lot! At the risk of sounding corny, yesterday on my run, and for each food choice, it was a little like you were all there. Very nice, and thanks a million for the support.
    2008-02-15 8:43 AM

User image

Veteran
    Madison, WI
    Question for the guys - might sound weird, but I'm serious...

My question is regarding underwear!

I may just be divulging a little bit too much information here, but for day-to-day activity I prefer to wear boxer briefs. I never thought too much about it, but I find that if I run in boxer briefs, I can actually get some pretty serious chaffing down where the "cuff" of the briefs stop, somewhere in the inner leg (mid thigh/hamstring).

For those of you who are a little more experienced running and biking, is there a different style of underwear you prefer to help prevent this sort of thing? Is "Commando" a better option?

Goofy question I realize, but man does that chafe sting!

Bunny
    2008-02-15 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Ellensburg, WA
    Hey Alex,
    Just a note for you. I struggle with weight as well and made my log public so we can work on this together. I'll be checking your log today :-)
    Scott
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks! Rss Feed  

of 19