BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-04-09 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1312677

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed

Ken & Chappy,

Ordered the bikes today!!!  I cannot wait!!  We decided to go talk to some folks at a local tri sports store here to get some sound advice from another group of tri-athletes.  The store is TRY Sports and they are good folks - real helpful with makin sense of the whole bike dilema...they were surpised when I told them how much I was payin for the Parma - he was like " for the whole bike"...I replied.. "yep..complete setup accept for pedals"...and it comes with aerobars as well...there was no way he was gonna talk me out of it...and he knew it.  Neverthe-less - he helped ensure the 59' frame was gonna work for me  - and it was agreed - I would be good to go.  GyGy ended up going with the Garda - it was a little more then mine - it has a few better components then the Parma - but she also got the info needed to make her choice, and for the $$ - we both have new bikes coming for under $600.00....I am stoked about just that.  So - once they get here, and we have them assembled and tuned pictures will be posted...rest assured!  Thanks for all the advice on bikes  - I feel pretty good about what I am getting and the info you all provided helped immensely.......

Here she is!!

Cheers

Edited by papahawk 2008-04-09 2:13 PM

2008-04-09 8:08 PM
in reply to: #1116072

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

PapaHawk,

That is awesome!!! Looks like you got a great deal from every perspective.  You are not going to believe the difference it makes after a couple of rides.  Just make sure that the seat is comfy as that has been the only issue for me over the last year.  To fix my issues I purchased an Adamo Road saddle and things have never been better.  The seat looks a little funky but man is it comfortable hour after hour.  Since you got such a good deal on the bikes you should look at Speedplay pedals as they are at the front of the pack in my opinion.  A little bit more up front but they are so easy to use that the learning curve in going from traps, like you have now, to the pedals is effortless.  Sorry for more of my two cents worth but I am honestly just trying to prevent you from making the same mistakes $$$ wise as I have over the last year.  Great deal on those bikes again!!!

2008-04-09 8:16 PM
in reply to: #1327379

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
I hear ya Chappy - no worries - I need more 2 cents like that!!! So - Speedplay pedals huh?..Ok..I will look into them..any advice on shoes???  I know it's gonna be a night and day ride once I sit on this bike compared to the one I have now....it's lighter, better made, and really more of what I need for riding roads......so...continue on with the input...I am all ears my friend.
2008-04-09 8:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
2008-04-10 1:03 AM
in reply to: #1327462

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

If money and weight were not an issue then I would definitely spring for the Titanium Zero's but you can empty your water bottle and lose more weight than the difference in the high end and low end pedals.  The high end Titanium also has rider weight limits so I couldn't use them anyway.  If colors are your thing then the Zero midrange has a wide assortment and if you just want a rock solid pedal go with the Zero Chromemoly.  I like the Zero series as it gives you a wide range of adjustments and are much easier on my knees as you can adjust them to give varying degrees of float/rotation. The other two sets from Speedplay have unlimited float and are excellent pedals as well.

As far as the shoes go I have a trainer set of Specialized that I picked up for about $80 and I abuse them in every clime and place.  I also got a set of Shimano TR-30 Triathlon shoes and they are awesome and make quite a bit of difference in the T1 transition as you can just jump on the bike and start pedaling then strap your feet in as you go.  My recommendation would be to just buy the TR-30's, big brother is the TR-50 $$$, as you can ride these guys with or without socks and you won't have to pick up two sets of shoes like I did.

I can't wait to get back to Ohio as there is a Performance Bike shop just up the street from where we are looking to buy a home.  That could be a bad thing but I can't see how from my viewpoint.

2008-04-10 6:26 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Chappy,

Just curious why you think speedplay are easier to learn then the looks? I ride Looks and its split 50 50 among the people I ride with. My reason for Looks is that was what they sold me when I bought my first bike. Not disagreeing at all, just curious.

Ken

2008-04-10 7:18 AM
in reply to: #1327917

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

Ken,

The biggest reason that I like the Speedplay pedals are that they allow double sided entry and the pedal and cleat almost form to each other when snapping back in.  Not a big deal during a Tri but when you are out on training rides and you hit every red light these pedals and cleats are extremely easy to get snapped back in.  I started with Shimano Ultegra level pedals and they were great I thought because they came with the bike.  A bunch of guys that I ride with have Speedplay and I was always the one taking 10 - 20 seconds getting snapped back in and playing catch up.  The difference is night and day and they are a bit lighter but once I got a pair I will never go back to another SPD or LOOK type of cleat pedal.  They also claim to have the lowest cornering clearance of any pedal on the market.  Once again my two cents worth but there are other really good pedals out there that cost less I just prefer Speedplay now.  Similar to the Felt vs. Cervelo discussion we had in some ways.

2008-04-10 10:45 AM
in reply to: #1327964

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
cchapman3 - 2008-04-10 7:18 AM

Ken,

The biggest reason that I like the Speedplay pedals are that they allow double sided entry and the pedal and cleat almost form to each other when snapping back in.  Not a big deal during a Tri but when you are out on training rides and you hit every red light these pedals and cleats are extremely easy to get snapped back in.  I started with Shimano Ultegra level pedals and they were great I thought because they came with the bike.  A bunch of guys that I ride with have Speedplay and I was always the one taking 10 - 20 seconds getting snapped back in and playing catch up.  The difference is night and day and they are a bit lighter but once I got a pair I will never go back to another SPD or LOOK type of cleat pedal.  They also claim to have the lowest cornering clearance of any pedal on the market.  Once again my two cents worth but there are other really good pedals out there that cost less I just prefer Speedplay now.  Similar to the Felt vs. Cervelo discussion we had in some ways.

Makes sense to me. Just never have really thought about it and wanted to hear reasons. I wouldn't mind trying them but it would be a pain.
2008-04-10 7:13 PM
in reply to: #1328535

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Ken & Gang,

In the quest for the perfect pedal and shoe a thought crossed my mind - since I am new to the road bike scene and the uses of all the gizmo's and gadgets therin - I thought maybe I should go with something more useful for my current expierence. I have looked at the SPD type pedals today - these are used mostly on mountain bikes and trail bikes - plus you can wear a clip in shoe with them that allows one to walk/run in them w/out damage to the cleet.  Now - this makes sense for me since I am a triathlete - not a road-biker - when coming into T2 I am going to want to unlip and run with my bike -shoes on.  With the just road shoes and pedals - I would not have this ability, I know, I have seen alot of folks running barefoot, coming from T1 running barefoot, shoes already clipped in their pedals, no socks most of them, for me..I just do not see that being my bread n butter.  So - for me..I think the best compromise would be a clip in pedal - a hybrid shoe - that would give me the clip in ability and the bike shoe performance on the bike - and then off the bike I can function as well.  My wife currently used this pedal/shoe combo and it works well for her...took her sometime getting used to clippin in and out ( mostly out ) but she got the hang of it pretty quick.  Thoughts .....I am leanin more in this direction for now - otherwise - I guess I will just keep using the cages I have now until I decide to ride like the big boys  LOL.....  I did look at some of the strictly road shoes and pedals today at a LBS - I found a nice pair of Nike's on sale and the Speedplays that Chappy mentioned...then I saw the carbon slick bottoms on those road shoes and I was like.." I can't run in these"....maybe there is a benefit to running w/out them on coming into T2....that means puttin on socks and shoes at T2  - vs. just changing shoes.  Pros & Cons ladies and gentlemen...I'm all ears!

Thanks ! 

2008-04-10 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Man, and he (papahawk) says I am analytical and obsessive over things.  LOL
2008-04-10 9:41 PM
in reply to: #1329784

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

Big Papa,

The only thing that I can say is I have been there and done that. I started out with SPD cleats and they do allow some mobility when you are unclipped. I read something interesting as it pertains to the higher end shoes, pedals, cranks, and wheels as these are all rotational weight. Some of the biggest gains that you can make are in these areas as every pedal stroke you move the weight of the first 3 mentioned and it goes without saying but the wheels must go round and round. That said you are probably not going to go out and buy some carbon cranks for the new steed, $$$, but you can spend a little bit more on the shoes and pedals to offset this weight. I don't run into T2 with mine but I do a little shuffle after I throw the cleat covers on my shoes, takes a couple of seconds and if you are really good you do it while you are coasting into T2. That has to be a nickels worth but it comes from lessons learned. Most importantly I would say do your research and then make the choice that is most comfortable for you. Happy hunting!!!

2008-04-10 9:44 PM
in reply to: #1329887

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

GyGy Hawk,

It just goes downhill from here but at least you get to enjoy in the pain and suffering as you can make him buy you a pair as well. LOL.

Sorry Papa I couldn't resist.

So when are we going to talk about bike wheels!!! This is a favorite topic of mine and I need a bigger credit card or a second mortgage. Too many kids to clothe and feed.

2008-04-10 10:31 PM
in reply to: #1330024

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Well let me hear it!!  What kinda wheels should I be interested in....as for now ..the wheels I have are gonna be just fine with me - the tires though - I have a feeling I will be investing in some rubber for the next tri in June - the tires I have coming on my new bike are Kenda's....from what the LBS fella's told me - they are good training tire...but not a race tire.  SO - that being said  - what is the low down on tires - all I know is I have a 700cc wheel with Kenda rubber wrapping them up.....I noticed there is a slight difference in GyGy's tire/wheel then mine on her Garda.....once again - I leave the table open for discussion.... all are welcome!!  Chappy - good point on the pedals/shoes conversation....got to put my thinkin cap on and make decision.
2008-04-11 6:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Chappy and Gang!!

MY BIKE HAS ARRIVED!!!!  WHOOOOT!!  GyGy just called to inform the new bikes we ordered from Javelin arrived this evening!! Man - that was quick!!  We are takin them to the LBS for assembly and tuneage tomorrow!!  Looks like we might be riding this weekend and this week coming up !!  YEAH!!!   Oh how sweet it is......

2008-04-11 7:53 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
I am with Chappy on the shoes. I just don't really care for the SPD's and the shuffle to and from transition is no big deal. That said, its not a big deal, get what you want and in a year can decide whether you want to stick with them or not. I don't leave my shoes clipped on for T1 but I do take my feet out of the shoes before t2 and leave the shoes on the bike. I have done it before for T1 but I just didn't like it. I may start practicing again this year. Taking the feet out of the shoes while coasting in is really easy.

I wouldn't get to hung up on the tires. Do some races on the Kenda's and set your base line. I have a separate set of tires for racing but only because I want to avoid racing on a tire with a bunch of cuts and get a bad blow out in a race.

Go get those bikes put together and ride them. Miles on the bike are the key to getting faster. The shoes, the tires, the bottle cages, the fancy race wheels, and the aero helmet all can help but it want be noticeable till you start getting plenty of miles.

Cherie/Natalie what kind of pedals ya'll push?

2008-04-11 10:02 PM
in reply to: #1332345

New user
Chicago, Illinois
Manatee Express - 2008-04-11 7:53 PM

Go get those bikes put together and ride them. Miles on the bike are the key to getting faster. The shoes, the tires, the bottle cages, the fancy race wheels, and the aero helmet all can help but it want be noticeable till you start getting plenty of miles.

Cherie/Natalie what kind of pedals ya'll push?

I have red Looks on my road bike that I bought in 1999. They have some degree of float but aren't super sophisticated. I love the huge platform and the secure fit. You can mash down on those suckers and not feel your foot flexing at all. My shoes are Nike road shoes that I bought cheap at Performance--they are very stiff. They have straps and laces, so when I wore them in the race last year, I put Yankz laces in. However, the shoes are not optimal for transition. I'd like to get dedicated tri shoes, but we'll see. I feel like I've spent a lot of money already--and I haven't even bought a new bike!

For everyday riding, I have Shimano campus SPDs on my commuter, which have a platform on one side. I like being able to walk around in my bike shoes when I get to work, instead of looking like a duck.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about Speedplay, but I've never tried them out.

Chicago weekend forecast: snow. I'm having a hard time getting psyched up about cycling.

--Natalie

2008-04-11 10:21 PM
in reply to: #1330104

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

Wheels are pricey and you should just ride a ton on the ones that came with the bike as the difference you experience with the road bike and mountain bike is going to be very significant.  I ride the Shimano wheels that came on my bike but I am looking very closely at some Mavic Ksyrium ES's and Elites as well as salivating over some Zipp 808's, $$$.  As far as tires go I ride with Schwalbe as I have had great luck with getting very few flats with number of miles I ride.  Vittoria and Michelin also make some really good tires and a bunch of fellow group riders have the Contintental Gator Skins and they never get flats.  Too many brands to choose from and the more expensive doesn't always necessarily mean better but you probably already knew that.  Get some miles in on that bike and enjoy the difference that it is going to make.

2008-04-12 5:42 AM
in reply to: #1332490

New user
Chicago, Illinois
cchapman3 - 2008-04-11 10:21 PM

Wheels are pricey and you should just ride a ton on the ones that came with the bike as the difference you experience with the road bike and mountain bike is going to be very significant. I ride the Shimano wheels that came on my bike but I am looking very closely at some Mavic Ksyrium ES's and Elites as well as salivating over some Zipp 808's, $$$. As far as tires go I ride with Schwalbe as I have had great luck with getting very few flats with number of miles I ride. Vittoria and Michelin also make some really good tires and a bunch of fellow group riders have the Contintental Gator Skins and they never get flats. Too many brands to choose from and the more expensive doesn't always necessarily mean better but you probably already knew that. Get some miles in on that bike and enjoy the difference that it is going to make.

Just a side note, I have Specialized Armadillo 28 mm tires on my commuter bike, and I think they are great. You can get them in narrower sizes. For everyday riding they are very practical because you virtually never get flats. The only flats I've had with my Armadillos are when my rim strips finally wore out.

I have gone through a couple pairs of Michelins on my road bike, and now I'm riding 23 mm Hutchinsons, also a French brand. I can't say that I've ever really noticed any performance difference with the various expensive tires if they are comparable in width. I don't think weight is as big a deal as rolling resistance.
2008-04-12 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Hey everyone,

I ran a 5K race today and did pretty good.  Not a PR (in fact, over a minute slower than my PR).  But I won Grandmasters!   And we had two waves of the front come through, and the race was right between them -- life is good!

2008-04-12 3:40 PM
in reply to: #1333051

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Congrat's Sledge on your race!!  Sometimes PR's are just that - personal...for me ..it was a PR to finish my 1st tri - and I did!! So kudo's for you!!  now  - go and enjoy the rest of your day !!  Way to go winning GM's!!!!  WOOOT for you!!

Rusty

2008-04-12 8:26 PM

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY
Great job Sledge.  One of these days I am going to place in my AG even if I have to setup an event where there is only going be 3 competing in my AG.  LOL.  Great race again and I think I have a small community 5k next week that I am going to run in on the base.  Hopefully I can do as well as you did.  Keep it up!!!!

2008-04-12 8:33 PM

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

Fellow Manatee's,

Weekly recap:   Pure crap for total time working out but I am feeling pretty good about my time on the 10k I ran as I accomplished one of my short term goals.  Then I went back and looked at the splits from the Century earlier this year and I had accomplished another goal. So I set some new goals and the  one on the bike is going to be tough but I really feel like if I get a nice flat course then I can reach my goal on the 10k time and then it will be time to set some aspiring goals for a 1/2 Marathon.  Next week will be better as I had to take some time off from work to use vacation or I would lose it come October.  One of the great things about being in the military is the 30 days of vacation a year paid for.

Coming week:  

Swim x2 - 2800 meters

Run x3 -    12 miles

Bike x3 -    80 miles 

I hope everyone has a great week. 

2008-04-13 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Hey guys,

If your not out training and have some time on your hands, today is ironman Arizona. There is live coverage on the web at Ironman Live.

http://www.ironmanlive.com/

click on live video and it has race coverge. It get pretty neat later in the day and even more so into the night as it shows people finishing. The last couple hours are just incredible.

There is also a BT watching thread on the BT site which is used to track the 40+ BT'ers competing today. That link is:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Only caveat is that watching the thread can lead to rash behavior such as signing up to do an ironman race.
2008-04-13 7:37 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Weeky Recap

2 swims, 4 bikes, 4 runs, including the biathlon I raced Saturday.

Swim 5000 yards, 1000 time trial on Friday was a little slower than I hoped at 20:40 but it was after 2 days of hard bike rides.

Bike - Recovery week on the long ride but rode harder on long ride.

Run - Recovery week on long run.

Race - Placing was better than normal but I attribute some of that to weather. I missed 5k pr by 3 seconds on a very tough course, but the bike was a disaster. I had mechanical and mental issues and I probably went to hard on the run. I needed the race real bad though and had a good time.

Race Report - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

This week is a dilemma. I have a race Saturday and its my favorite race. Its local, it was my first, this year will be my 7th, and its held at the bar I grew up in. That said, I have a half ironman 4 weeks out and I really need to keep the run distance high this week. So if your looking on how to taper for a sprint, ignor my logs this week. I plan on doing a 2 hour run on Tuesday and a 40 mile bike Wednesday and neither of those belong in a taper week. I will swim Monday and Wednesday and try to get in an additional run and bike but that may be pushing it.

2008-04-13 8:46 PM
in reply to: #1334816

New user
Chicago, Illinois
Weekly recap

Another crummy week for me. My work schedule has been tough, the weather has been crappy (as usual), and my husband was out of town so there was no one to pick up the slack around the house.

Two runs, both around 30 minutes.

Rode bicycle to work.

Did not swim.

Depressing. I'm trying to stay focused on my run. I'd really like to be doing three per week if not four, but two was all I could muster last week. On a positive note, it's supposed to be in the 70s on my day off Wednesday.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed Rss Feed  

of 18