BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-11-19 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3217137

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!!
I like the front page look too.  Is that a stock image from somewhere or is it something you took at a race?  With some of the pics I have seen of yours, it would not surprise me if you have taken this one.  I also agree with J, a lot of links and other junk on a page is distracting if you are trying to attract someone to your site.  I like the "Keep it simple, stupid" approach myself.  Once you have someone hooked then alternate pages can have more info on them.  Right now I don't think you're anywhere near that threshold.

I just finished a decent swim of 2650 yds.  I did a 6x100 hard set that is noticeably harder than it would have been almost 2 months ago when I stopped swimming to focus on my running.  I started ok but by the end I was down to :08-:10 rests for the last 2 sets.  My form was starting to suffer too.  Wow! What a difference a couple of months makes.  Next week I am going to try to get more hard stuff going so I can start to knock some of my swim times down a little over the winter.  My goal by the end of the winter would be something like a 7:00-7:10 500 yd. swim.  Currently my PR for the 500 is 7:18 which was done May of this year.

Now for a 6 mile run.

Edited by DirkP 2010-11-19 9:38 AM

2010-11-19 1:45 PM
in reply to: #2770346

User image

dp

Edited by tri808 2010-11-19 1:47 PM
2010-11-19 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3218587

User image

David,

This may sound like a stupid question...probably me just being paranoid.

But is it ever a bad thing to trim a few pounds of fat in the last few weeks leading up to a race like a marathon.  My diet the past 3 months has been pretty bad.  I eat a lot of junks and not so healthy food (and when I do eat healthy...I ead A LOT of it)...but it's been off set by my training.  I've been pretty steady at 161-163 lbs the entire year even though my training is way up from January when my diet was a lot better.

In the beginning of the year, I wanted to get down to about 150...but I wanted to get there about 2 months ago so I could train at that weight for this marathon.  Well...that ship has sailed long ago.

My question is that if I do decide to clean up my diet and end up losing 3-5 pounds in the weeks leading up to my race...could that have any ill effects.  Being that I trained my body to operate at 161ish pounds and if I show up on race day at 157, my body may not have the stored fat it expects to be there?

Again...I wouldn't be starving myself...just removing the really bad stuff I eat from time to time.  Right now I would guess I'm about 14-15% body fat.  So I would still have some fat on me even at 157.

Edited by tri808 2010-11-19 1:47 PM
2010-11-19 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3218589

User image

Champion
assuming you do it the way ou said, clean it up, etc, you should be fine, just dont go overboard and if you start feeling tired/hungry dont keep withholding, etc. you can lose some now and be ok, just done go nuts with it as you still need to make sure you are getting enough to train and race well.

Dirk, yes the photo is one of mine from philly tri.
2010-11-19 3:31 PM

User image

yeah...that's the idea.  I plan to eat the same amount of calories...just with more frequent and smaller meals...and cut out as much of the "empty" calories as possible.

If I end up not losing any weight...it's not something I'm going to worry about.

2010-11-19 10:45 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Two points:

- a calorie is a calorie.  If you want to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you take in.  Reduce your calorie intake or up your exercise or a combination of the two. 

- aren't you heading towards a taper? That means you are going to be reducing your calories burned and if you don't cut back on your intake, you are going to gain some weight.

For me the one thing that always works is to stop drinking alcohol (but I rarely get serious enough to do that).

2010-11-19 11:10 PM
in reply to: #3219142

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
dcon - 2010-11-19 10:45 PM Two points:

- a calorie is a calorie.  If you want to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you take in.  Reduce your calorie intake or up your exercise or a combination of the two. 

- aren't you heading towards a taper? That means you are going to be reducing your calories burned and if you don't cut back on your intake, you are going to gain some weight.

For me the one thing that always works is to stop drinking alcohol (but I rarely get serious enough to do that).

LOL. I don't think I've had a drink in years, but desserts and fast food...well, that's another story. I guess we all have our own vices/indulgences. The Girl Scouts got me again. I bought & consumed about 800 calories worth of peanut brittle from my coworker's daughter. And let's not get started on Thanksgiving. Looks like there will be a lot of running in my future.

Getting ready to run a 10K tomorrow morning with Jamie. I'll let you know how it goes. 1:06 is the time to beat.  
2010-11-19 11:59 PM
in reply to: #3219142

User image

dcon - 2010-11-19 5:45 PM Two points:

Yup...good points.

I think what I was trying to say is the quantity of food is going to be the same.  Calories will be cut simply because I am not eating as much empty calories like fried stuff or sweets.

And while a calorie is a calorie...calories taken it at proper frequency allows your metabolism to burn those calories without exercise.  I've gone away from 5-6 meals just because I've been lazy and am eating 2-3 larger meals lately.  3000 calories spread over 6 meals <> 3000 calories in 3 meals...even if it's the same food.  Well...technically the calories are equal...but the way your metabolism processes it is not.
2010-11-20 7:17 AM
in reply to: #3219147

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jpbis26 - 2010-11-20 12:10 AM
dcon - 2010-11-19 10:45 PM Two points:

LOL. I don't think I've had a drink in years, but desserts and fast food...well, that's another story. I guess we all have our own vices/indulgences. The Girl Scouts got me again. I bought & consumed about 800 calories worth of peanut brittle from my coworker's daughter. And let's not get started on Thanksgiving. Looks like there will be a lot of running in my future.

Getting ready to run a 10K tomorrow morning with Jamie. I'll let you know how it goes. 1:06 is the time to beat.  

The junk I eat on a regular basis is not too good  either.  Most recently, say last night, I had some cookie dough ice cream with Magic Shell smothering the top of it.  I haven't had that in years and I've wanted it since finishing the marathon, now I finally got it.  I am trying to keep my appetite for these things under control but it can get difficult at times.  The easiest way is just not to have them in the house.  If they aren't here I won't go out and buy them.

I am kind of hoping to cut  a few more pounds myself but I am not really all that concerned if I don't.  I would like to drop maybe another 5 lbs of fat and then see what I look like for gaining it back in muscle.  I wouldn't mind getting SOME of the muscle back I had when I was power lifting.  Really the trouble with that is that I doubt I would have or take the time to actually do any real lifting to gain much back.  I enjoy being as fast as I am (not that I am a speedster) and I know if I gained weight of any sort it would slow me down some.

2010-11-20 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Just got back from the 10K. I finished in 1:02, so I beat my last time by 4 mins. I felt great and think I did a good job of pacing myself. No walking and I was able to finish strong and run the last 1/2 mile at a faster pace. My next goal is to try and get that time under 1 hour.

Next up, I'm doing a 5K on Thanksgiving. I'm looking to beat my last time of 29 mins. Then, the HM in Dec...
2010-11-20 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3219397

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Sounds like an awesome 10k run for you.  How about a runners high?  I always feel really good after a run like that.  I am  doing a Thanksgiving day race myself, The Galloping Gobbler 4 miler.  I should have a PR too......I hope.

I did an hour and a half on the trainer earlier today and it took a little bit out of me.  It felt good though.  I did some intervals that were a bit harder than I have done for a while but I am looking forward to working my tail off to get faster over the winter.  I did 6x5:00 with 2:00 rests.  All the intervals had my HR in the low Z4, which wasn't too bad until the last set.  that's when I wanted to quit early but I kept with it.  I ended with an distance of 29.02 miles for a 19.2 mph avg speed.  Thats according to my computer.  I don't like it as much as my Garmin because the computer can be off as much as a half mile when comparing them after a ride outside.  It is close though.  Gives me some thing to compare my rides against.

2010-11-20 6:46 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Jackie:  great job on the 10k - a 4 minute PR is huge!

2010-11-20 6:50 PM
in reply to: #3219162

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
tri808 - 2010-11-20 1:59 PM
dcon - 2010-11-19 5:45 PM Two points:

Yup...good points.

I think what I was trying to say is the quantity of food is going to be the same.  Calories will be cut simply because I am not eating as much empty calories like fried stuff or sweets.

And while a calorie is a calorie...calories taken it at proper frequency allows your metabolism to burn those calories without exercise.  I've gone away from 5-6 meals just because I've been lazy and am eating 2-3 larger meals lately.  3000 calories spread over 6 meals <> 3000 calories in 3 meals...even if it's the same food.  Well...technically the calories are equal...but the way your metabolism processes it is not.

If you can move to 5-6 smaller meals, I think you'll find that you can drop the overall calorie count too (but I'm sure that is easier said than done).  Eliminating some of the sweets and fats and replacing with something healthier is definitely a good idea for the short and long term.    Good luck with it.   Lighter is faster.  I can't remember the exact number, but they say a couple seconds per mile per pound.
2010-11-20 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3219591

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
DirkP - 2010-11-21 5:17 AM Sounds like an awesome 10k run for you.  How about a runners high?  I always feel really good after a run like that.  I am  doing a Thanksgiving day race myself, The Galloping Gobbler 4 miler.  I should have a PR too......I hope.

I did an hour and a half on the trainer earlier today and it took a little bit out of me.  It felt good though.  I did some intervals that were a bit harder than I have done for a while but I am looking forward to working my tail off to get faster over the winter.  I did 6x5:00 with 2:00 rests.  All the intervals had my HR in the low Z4, which wasn't too bad until the last set.  that's when I wanted to quit early but I kept with it.  I ended with an distance of 29.02 miles for a 19.2 mph avg speed.  Thats according to my computer.  I don't like it as much as my Garmin because the computer can be off as much as a half mile when comparing them after a ride outside.  It is close though.  Gives me some thing to compare my rides against.

Wow.  Sounds like you really pushed it hard.   I'm moving to 45 minute sessions on the trainer this week - tough to imagine 90 minutes.   And my sessions are at best Z2 right now, but that is where I want them to be for a while.

I recently removed my bike computer and added the Garmin Speed/Cadence Sensor - about $35 on Amazon.  For your outside measurements, the bike computer should be spot on since it is just using tire size and cadence.   Other threads have mentioned the Garmin can be a little off with the GPS based measurements.  
2010-11-20 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3219720

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
My bike computer is always more than my Garmin when riding outside.  I always ere on the side of short rather than long.  I would rather work a little harder/longer than think about whether or not I went far enough or shortened my distance.  I do the same thing in the pool.  If i lose track of the number of laps I have completed I always go an extra one.  I'm sure there have been many times I have swam a little farther than my logs show.

2010-11-20 11:24 PM
in reply to: #3219762

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
DirkP - 2010-11-21 10:18 AM My bike computer is always more than my Garmin when riding outside.  I always ere on the side of short rather than long.  I would rather work a little harder/longer than think about whether or not I went far enough or shortened my distance.  I do the same thing in the pool.  If i lose track of the number of laps I have completed I always go an extra one.  I'm sure there have been many times I have swam a little farther than my logs show.

If you really think the bike computer is off, then it seems like you've either got a computer setup issue (wrong tire size) or your magnet is ever so slightly off and missing a toggle every now and then. 

2010-11-21 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3219882

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I have a question:  I am trying to figure out how to run this winter without losing any/much of my fitness.  Would a 2X a week work out well with 5 and 10 mile runs?  This was kind of my plan to keep my long runs near the half marathon distance so I can pick back up in late Feb. or early March and build my base up for another HM in early May.  The long run is really the where the question is.

I am also thinking about getting up a little early on Sunday mornings and getting a short 2-3 miles in too.  This would be the third run for the week but I am not sure about it.  My main objective this winter is to pick up time on the bike.  The way my schedule is, I would have to double up on work outs twice on the weekends.   Fridays would include the long run and a swim (2500-3000 yds).  Saturdays, a long ride on the trainer (1.5-2 hrs) including intervals.  And a shorter run (2-3 mils) and ride (1hr) on Sundays.  Does anyone see a problem with these types of workouts?

2010-11-21 6:37 PM

User image

Had another great long run today.  Hit 20 miles today, and actually went the same pace as my 18.5 last week at a slightly lower effort.  I finished really strong and actually slowed up the last mile to wait for my running partner so we could finish together.  I think we ran the last 2.2 at a 8:30 pace...which is about 15-20 seconds below my optimistic goal pace for the marathon.

I'm seeing pretty good improvements the last few weeks.  Even as my runs get longer, and my weekly mileage has built, I've still been running at the same pace, if not faster for almost all my runs...and at the same effort.  I'm also seeing less fatigue the next day.  If my legs feel good next weekend, I may do another 20 and do a 2 week taper instead of 3.
2010-11-21 6:39 PM

User image

Dirk...sounds like an okay plan to me.

I'm also planning to do a lot of double workout days once the marathon is over and I give myself a couple weeks to recover.

Going to be mostly low level efforts though.  The only real intensity I'll have is doing some of Jorge's winter program.
2010-11-22 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3220523

User image

Champion
been a bit busy over the past few days but looks like everyone here is keeping busy as well!

nice job on the 10k, thats a good amount of time to drop!!

I spent the weekend working in some form or another at the philly marathon. Friday was setting up and helping sell the massage stick at the expo, sat was spent wandering around the expo searching for sponsors, testing products, handing out cards and i neded up with some cool stuff to try out:-)

sunday was race day, and i went down to shoot during the first guy in through about 3:45, walked home (miles 13/26 were about a mile from my house), got some lunch and changed into running clothese, and headed back up to run up and down the course and cheer in the people from 5:40 through the last person around 7:00.
2010-11-22 5:15 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Jackie & J - awesome to hear about your improvements on the run. I unfortunately have had really crappy runs lately - I think it is because I have upped the volume of my workouts. My legs have felt like bricks the last 2 weeks or so due to multiple 2 a day workouts (I sure hope they eventually pay off).

Today was actually a good workout day - swam 2200 yds in the am and a 45' trainer ride in the afternoon and felt pretty solid. Hopefully, tomorrow will be nice out (for a change) as I plan to have my long run (55 minutes) and I may scream if I have to do it on the treadmill Frown 

Dirk - question on the run volume. I have heard that your long run should only be about a 1/3 (never more than 1/2) of your total weekly volume to keep injury free - has anyone else heard this and is it valid?

Ughh it is snowing sideways again wtf...

2010-11-22 5:27 PM
in reply to: #3222257

User image

Champion
robingray_260 - 2010-11-22 4:15 PM

Jackie & J - awesome to hear about your improvements on the run. I unfortunately have had really crappy runs lately - I think it is because I have upped the volume of my workouts. My legs have felt like bricks the last 2 weeks or so due to multiple 2 a day workouts (I sure hope they eventually pay off).

Today was actually a good workout day - swam 2200 yds in the am and a 45' trainer ride in the afternoon and felt pretty solid. Hopefully, tomorrow will be nice out (for a change) as I plan to have my long run (55 minutes) and I may scream if I have to do it on the treadmill Frown

Dirk - question on the run volume. I have heard that your long run should only be about a 1/3 (never more than 1/2) of your total weekly volume to keep injury free - has anyone else heard this and is it valid?

Ughh it is snowing sideways again wtf...

the general rule is 30% of lower of total weekly volume, and i personally like to keep it down around 25%.

during specific builds you can up that a bit (say for a marathon), but not something i would stride to keep up year round/long term. the less a % of you weekly volume the long run is the less chance of injury coming from it.
2010-11-22 7:48 PM

User image

I usually try to keep my long runs at 33% of my total weekly mileage.  So for normal training, I'll try to keep it something like 8/24, 10/30, etc.  For marathon training, it gets closer to 40%, something like 18/45, 20/50.

I agree with David though that 25% is ideal.  It's just that some people don't have the time to run that much and do need to get in longer runs to prepare for something like a half or full marathon.  I'll probably never run 80 miles per week during marathon training...but I would bet that I would be very well prepared if I did.

Another idea I have heard that works for me is to try and narrow the distance between your longest run in comparison to your 2nd and 3rd longest run.

Last week I ran 3, 6, 13.5, 11, 20...for a total of 53.5 miles.  My LR was about 38% of my weekly mileage...but my 2nd longest run was 67.5% of my LR, and my 3rd longest run was 55% of my long run.

I like this approach much better than say running 6, 7, 6.5, 7, 7, 20.  In this case, my 2nd longest run is only 35% of my LR, and my 3rd longest run is only 32.5% of my LR.  But as far as comparing my LR to total MPW, it's the same...38%.  But IMO...having a big gap between your LR and 2nd longest run is not a good idea.

I don't think either rule by itself is right...I think it's a mixture of both.  Just don't get too caught up in one formula being the answer.

Edited by tri808 2010-11-22 7:51 PM
2010-11-23 6:09 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
I get the 25-30% rule when you're building up a baseline or building for a race, but I'm wondering if it still applies in Dirk's case.   He built up to a higher level for his marathon.   Doing a total of 15 miles per week is significantly less stress than he was inflicting on his body in Sept/Oct.    Why wouldn't the 10/5 split he mentioned  be okay given that he already has the established baseline, i.e., is there some specific risk from a cardio system perspective or from a musculoskeletal system perspective?   
2010-11-23 10:42 AM

User image

dcon - good point.  This is all in context of the "long run".  For someone like Dirk...or me at this point...10 miles is not a long run.  Just like 15 miles is not really a long run for someone preparing for a 100 mile ultra.  But a 6 mile run could be considered a long run for someon off the couch.

Nobody's going to call foul if you only do one run a week at 6 miles...because then your long run is 100% of your total mileage...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105